PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Catches Fire...

hob
Mar 22, 2005, 09:50 AM
...or at least that's what will happen if I can't figure out what's going on...!

Attached is a screenshot of my Activity Monitor.... My processor is running at 100% with Finder taking up a massive proportion of that... for no reason! Any ideas?

chv400
Mar 22, 2005, 10:28 AM
hat's not suposed ot happen i had a similar thing happen to me before but i dont remeber how i fixed it i think i just relaunched it a bunch of times and restarted repairing permissions could never hurt.

evilernie
Mar 22, 2005, 10:29 AM
No idea, but the thread name sure got my attention! :D

hob
Mar 22, 2005, 10:30 AM
hat's not suposed ot happen i had a similar thing happen to me before but i dont remeber how i fixed it i think i just relaunched it a bunch of times and restarted repairing permissions could never hurt.Whatever it is, it's not unique to me - although it is unique to my user account on my powerbook. I logged into a different account i have sitting around for times like this, and the finder ran normally! I'm gonna keep poking it till it works!

chv400
Mar 22, 2005, 10:43 AM
i think i might have an idea try installing something new so that OS X will run the Optimizing Disk performance thing and it migt fix something. OS X might also be behind on its maintenece tasks that i usually does late at night. i know there's a way to run the tasks fro the terminal but i'm not too srue how to do it. maybe some will have that info.

yellow
Mar 22, 2005, 10:47 AM
Have we removed ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist ?
Does this problem survive a restart?

Wes
Mar 22, 2005, 10:59 AM
I remember a thread about this quite a while back. I think the problem in that case was a corrupted icon on the desktop or something similar.

Try moving all your icons off the desktop.

Edit: Found the thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=84494&highlight=icon+desktop+cpu+finder

hob
Mar 22, 2005, 11:43 AM
Cheers Wes, oddly enough I found that solution before I checked the forum again! I decided to rebuild my user account, and found it was indeed an icon on the desktop. Now all I have to do is work out which one... which could take some time! Wish I'd just waited for you to post instead of going through the malarky that I did!

If anybody needs me, I'll be at my local burns unit getting my legs looked at...! :p

hcuar
Mar 22, 2005, 12:47 PM
Cheers Wes, oddly enough I found that solution before I checked the forum again! I decided to rebuild my user account, and found it was indeed an icon on the desktop. Now all I have to do is work out which one... which could take some time! Wish I'd just waited for you to post instead of going through the malarky that I did!

If anybody needs me, I'll be at my local burns unit getting my legs looked at...! :p

Good grief!!! Hopefully you weren't planning to have children anytime soon. :eek:

KingSleaze
Mar 22, 2005, 03:07 PM

How many times do we need to tell people, it's a notebook, not a laptop. You run the risk of serious damage by putting these things on your unprotected lap.

Incidentally, I leave my PB running at 100% all the time, Folding for Team MacRumors.

Lacero
Mar 22, 2005, 03:16 PM
That's happened to me before where Finder would run 100% CPU. I don't remember what the cause of it or how I fixed it. I remember just letting it run until it stopped. Sometimes it's caused by an improperly mounted network disk.

mainstreetmark
Mar 22, 2005, 04:28 PM
Can we get a pic of the fixed desktop now? Preferably without Activity Monitor? We need to verify your Desktop Background isn't corrupted.