Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
...or at least that's what will happen if I can't figure out what's going on...!

Attached is a screenshot of my Activity Monitor.... My processor is running at 100% with Finder taking up a massive proportion of that... for no reason! Any ideas?

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 345

chv400

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2003
Houston, TX
hat's not suposed ot happen i had a similar thing happen to me before but i dont remeber how i fixed it i think i just relaunched it a bunch of times and restarted repairing permissions could never hurt.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
chv400 said:
hat's not suposed ot happen i had a similar thing happen to me before but i dont remeber how i fixed it i think i just relaunched it a bunch of times and restarted repairing permissions could never hurt.
Whatever it is, it's not unique to me - although it is unique to my user account on my powerbook. I logged into a different account i have sitting around for times like this, and the finder ran normally! I'm gonna keep poking it till it works!

chv400

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2003
Houston, TX
i think i might have an idea try installing something new so that OS X will run the Optimizing Disk performance thing and it migt fix something. OS X might also be behind on its maintenece tasks that i usually does late at night. i know there's a way to run the tasks fro the terminal but i'm not too srue how to do it. maybe some will have that info.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Cheers Wes, oddly enough I found that solution before I checked the forum again! I decided to rebuild my user account, and found it was indeed an icon on the desktop. Now all I have to do is work out which one... which could take some time! Wish I'd just waited for you to post instead of going through the malarky that I did!

If anybody needs me, I'll be at my local burns unit getting my legs looked at...! :p

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
hob said:
Cheers Wes, oddly enough I found that solution before I checked the forum again! I decided to rebuild my user account, and found it was indeed an icon on the desktop. Now all I have to do is work out which one... which could take some time! Wish I'd just waited for you to post instead of going through the malarky that I did!

If anybody needs me, I'll be at my local burns unit getting my legs looked at...! :p

Good grief!!! Hopefully you weren't planning to have children anytime soon. :eek:

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
hob said:

How many times do we need to tell people, it's a notebook, not a laptop. You run the risk of serious damage by putting these things on your unprotected lap.

Incidentally, I leave my PB running at 100% all the time, Folding for Team MacRumors.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
That's happened to me before where Finder would run 100% CPU. I don't remember what the cause of it or how I fixed it. I remember just letting it run until it stopped. Sometimes it's caused by an improperly mounted network disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.