Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vwantihero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Ok, so I have googled, I looked through multiple youtube tutorials, and I have looked through some threads on here. I need some help because I am not sure if those tutorials or what I have found pertain to my situation.

Backstory:my wife and I are splitting and I am a wreck. I have had my computer since we have been together and..well....about 99% of the pictures I have stored on here are of her and me and well you get the picture. the only way I am gonna heal is if I cut her out so I don't look at this old stuff. anyways back to the problem.

I have a western digital 300GB HDD. I have compiled all the photos from photobooth, downloaded pictures, and anything else that I have found that has her pictures to a folder. now. The folder is 26.67GB. I would want to put the folder on the HDD and have a password on it that my friend will put on it so I can't access it.

I have looked at the .dmg file thing but I haven't seen it work with a huge folder like this. I don't know what I would choose and if it would work the same way.

Is there some other way to do this without making the .dmg file or would that be the only logical thing. Please help, I'm trying to get this done as soon as possible.

vwantihero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
The encrypted disk image (dmg) will work fine. Just make sure he a) remembers the password and b) unchecks the "Remember password" option when creating the disk image.

ok so would I put custom size and put like what 30 Gigs on it?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
ok so would I put custom size and put like what 30 Gigs on it?

Exactly. I believe there is also a dynamic option that will scale the disk image to whatever size it needs to be.

TrueCrypt is another option, you might want to take a look at that. It encrypts the file/folder as a random and unassociated data file. Should you get the urge to try to find the file, your friend could hide it somewhere and there would be no way to know for certain if it's the one with the pictures or not. It's also cross-platform, whereas a .dmg is not.

Best of luck to you, what you're going through has got to be one of the hardest things in the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.