PDA

View Full Version : Polyurethane or Leather

Tech198
Jun 7, 2011, 05:59 PM
Which is better for the ipad 2? As you guys would have more expierence this area than me.

I'm thinking of getting one just on a "14 day trial" basis from Apple, just to play around with it, see how i like it etc..

You can do that in store, I know, limiting. But still, this ways eaiser.

Funkymonk
Jun 7, 2011, 06:01 PM
neither. smart covers are a waste of money. get a proper case NOT made by apple

MultiMediaWill
Jun 7, 2011, 06:06 PM
Polyurethane is obviously better for several reasons.

SFENDER
Jun 7, 2011, 06:21 PM

This

Apple OC
Jun 7, 2011, 06:23 PM
Polyurethane is obviously better for several reasons.

The Cows would agree :D

darngooddesign
Jun 7, 2011, 06:45 PM

Not really. I find it to be very useful. YMMV

gigemzach
Jun 7, 2011, 10:50 PM
Leather.

Meanee
Jun 7, 2011, 11:10 PM
I have leather and I find it pretty bad. Leather is coming apart. The area around the hinge is also coming apart, where soon entire leather flap will disconnect from iPad. Leather surface looks like worn wallet too. And this is for a device that I keep in a 13" encase bag, with soft inner walls...

hitekalex
Jun 7, 2011, 11:23 PM

Just another guy's opinion. I have leather smart cover and I love it.

LDTaylor85
Jun 8, 2011, 12:23 AM
I returned my blue poly cover after a week of use, it was already starting to look old And dirty. My black leather is perfect though

Mlrollin91
Jun 8, 2011, 12:51 AM
I have the blue poly. Have had it since launch and it is still in perfect condition. I really want to get a red leather, but I hear that it stains really easily and tends to fade and bleed.

h00ligan
Jun 8, 2011, 12:51 AM
I'm not sure i'd buy the leather again but do like the smart cover. The leather is wearing haaaaard. Good thing it has a warranty. I actually got leather thinking the poly would get filthy quickly.

I have the red. If it doesn't separate, I don't care. I like distressed leather, but I also don't wAnt it to be pink...we will see how it is in a couple months, but be prepared to have to exchange it potentially.

MultiMediaWill
Jun 8, 2011, 01:10 AM
The Cows would agree :D

And ur wallet.

pagansoul
Jun 8, 2011, 07:18 AM
I got the lime green off ebay for $30 and love it. I also purchased a green back cover for $5. It's been a month and I don't have problems with keeping it clean.

realjd
Jun 8, 2011, 07:22 AM
I have the gray plastic one. The leather was just too expensive for my tastes. Just remember you're getting a screen cover, not a full case. If you, like me, don't care if the aluminum back gets scuffed up a bit, you'll like the smart cover.

eagleglen
Jun 8, 2011, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure i'd buy the leather again but do like the smart cover. The leather is wearing haaaaard. Good thing it has a warranty. I actually got leather thinking the poly would get filthy quickly.

I have the red. If it doesn't separate, I don't care. I like distressed leather, but I also don't wAnt it to be pink...we will see how it is in a couple months, but be prepared to have to exchange it potentially.

I bought a red leather cover and after a week it looked horrible. I returned it within the 14 day window. I've since tried it again, but this time treated it immediately with a leather protective spray. Now, after 2 months, it still looks great, and I handle it a lot through out the day.

As far as exchanging it after a couple months if you don't like the way it's wearing, you might not be able to. Normal wear and tear doesn't justify a replacement typically. I tried to replace a bumper for the same reason and was told no. The smart covers may be handled differently, particularly with so many unhappy customers that are probably out there.

Small White Car
Jun 8, 2011, 08:54 AM
I can't understand why someone would want an iPad without a smart cover. I didn't really want an iPad 1 because I never found a good way to stand it up and protect the screen in my bag. Smart Covers solved those problems very well and I love them.

And get the poly. I'm beating mine up fairly well, I'm certain it would look MUCH worse if it were leather.

Benbikeman
Jun 8, 2011, 11:56 AM
Leather for sure - it continues to look good as it wears.

REM314
Jun 8, 2011, 01:11 PM
I can't understand why someone would want an iPad without a smart cover. I didn't really want an iPad 1 because I never found a good way to stand it up and protect the screen in my bag. Smart Covers solved those problems very well and I love them.

And get the poly. I'm beating mine up fairly well, I'm certain it would look MUCH worse if it were leather.

Because the Smart Cover doesn't protect the iPad.

Zeos
Jun 8, 2011, 01:19 PM
Which is better for the ipad 2? As you guys would have more expierence this area than me.

I'm thinking of getting one just on a "14 day trial" basis from Apple, just to play around with it, see how i like it etc..

You can do that in store, I know, limiting. But still, this ways eaiser.

Poly. The leather gets scratched up looking, and the dyes will fade per Apple's own admission. I use a smart cover with ghost armor front and back. Great combination.

Hertzog
Jun 8, 2011, 01:21 PM
I have leather and I find it pretty bad. Leather is coming apart. The area around the hinge is also coming apart, where soon entire leather flap will disconnect from iPad. Leather surface looks like worn wallet too. And this is for a device that I keep in a 13" encase bag, with soft inner walls...

I'm having the same problem. Some very careful applications of superglue (cover removed) seems to be keeping it from coming completely apart.

AppleOwl
Jun 8, 2011, 02:04 PM
Went from the black leather to the blue poly. Leather was way too high maintenance...

darngooddesign
Jun 8, 2011, 02:37 PM
Because the Smart Cover doesn't protect the iPad.

It protects both front or back sides from getting scratched when set down on any surface, acts as two different stands, and makes it a lot more comfortable to hold one handed in portrait mode. Add in the instant wake and I dig it.

Dizzler
Jun 8, 2011, 02:55 PM
How much weight do these covers add to the iPad? Leather? Poly? An ounce or two here and there can really make a difference at certain times.

taipan61
Jun 8, 2011, 03:02 PM
tried the smart cover, didn't like it so returned it and went with the leather targus vuscape that kinda clips on the back and covers the front and i've found it cheaper too!

Consultant
Jun 8, 2011, 03:25 PM
Grey poly. Still looks great.

I got the lime green off ebay for $30 and love it. I also purchased a green back cover for $5. It's been a month and I don't have problems with keeping it clean.

The ones on ebay for that price are FAKE.

HazyCloud
Jun 8, 2011, 03:52 PM
Grey poly. Still looks great.

The ones on ebay for that price are FAKE.

While you are right that A LOT are, not all are fake. People sell their Apple smart covers on eBay all the time. You just have to have good investigating skills.

h00ligan
Jun 8, 2011, 03:53 PM
I bought a red leather cover and after a week it looked horrible. I returned it within the 14 day window. I've since tried it again, but this time treated it immediately with a leather protective spray. Now, after 2 months, it still looks great, and I handle it a lot through out the day.

As far as exchanging it after a couple months if you don't like the way it's wearing, you might not be able to. Normal wear and tear doesn't justify a replacement typically. I tried to replace a bumper for the same reason and was told no. The smart covers may be handled differently, particularly with so many unhappy customers that are probably out there.

Interesting, thanks. I actually did have a bumper replaced with no issues. Guess it depends on the store. Thanks for the hint though, if I do get another I'll use a protective spray. Which did you use?

Mizzou02RS
Jun 8, 2011, 05:24 PM
Not really. I find it to be very useful. YMMV

I agree. I have a black leather Smart Cover and I love it.

glen e
Jun 8, 2011, 05:36 PM
My black leather cover is 3 months old , used every day and gets a cleaning with Kiwi natural leather cleaner once a week - still looks brand new...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/91b4befd.jpg

Tech198
Jun 9, 2011, 10:33 PM
Leather for sure - it continues to look good as it wears.

ya it does on my iphone too

ben173
Jun 9, 2011, 10:37 PM
i go the polyurethane because it was the cheapest but its nice to have while watching movies or typing but i personally think its a waste of money

glen e
Jun 9, 2011, 10:42 PM
then again, take a grey poly and add the iCarbons CF strip kit to it and you have a striking case:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/62696aba.jpg

Blorzoga
Jun 9, 2011, 10:58 PM

I couldn't agree more. They are garbage. Do not waste your time or money.

cardinalryan
Jun 11, 2011, 08:46 PM
I couldn't agree more. They are garbage. Do not waste your time or money.

IMO, the leather smart cover is phenomenal. To me, it's the absolute best case for the iPad 2. I guess some people need these huge cases, but if you are using your iPad in a normal, everyday way, then a smart cover is the best way to go.

Mr.C
Jun 12, 2011, 05:50 AM
I agree the smart cover is overpriced. Having said that I don't know why so many people have such strong negative opinions of it. Personally I like it in terms of it's functionality. Along with a clear back cover and a nice leather sleeve the smart cover is the way to go. I am not keen on the folio cases and don't understand how people can use such bulky, ugly and heavy cases to keep their iPads in.

The iPad is a beautiful, sexy looking device and needs to be used as naked as possible. I have ordered a smart cover from Grove only because I wanted something of better quality leather and workmanship with a cool design on the front. The only other negative about the smart cover is that when folded back it flaps around but I just take it off completely when using the iPad.

glen e
Jun 12, 2011, 06:18 AM
I agree the smart cover is overpriced. Having said that I don't know why so many people have such strong negative opinions of it. Personally I like it in terms of it's functionality. Along with a clear back cover and a nice leather sleeve the smart cover is the way to go. I am not keen on the folio cases and don't understand how people can use such bulky, ugly and heavy cases to keep their iPads in.

The iPad is a beautiful, sexy looking device and needs to be used as naked as possible. I have ordered a smart cover from Grove only because I wanted something of better quality leather and workmanship with a cool design on the front. The only other negative about the smart cover is that when folded back it flaps around but I just take it off completely when using the iPad.

I agree...with a back it's perfect for many situations I'm in. I have several cases and people who speak in absolutes about anything are just Internet idiots....overpriced, yup but they seem to be selling it, so kudos
to apple for pulling it off. My grey poly with CF panels gets looks everywhere it goes....my bookcases work in the boardroom, the smart covers in my off time....

cardinalryan
Jun 13, 2011, 12:33 PM
I agree...with a back it's perfect for many situations I'm in. I have several cases and people who speak in absolutes about anything are just Internet idiots....overpriced, yup but they seem to be selling it, so kudos
to apple for pulling it off. My grey poly with CF panels gets looks everywhere it goes....my bookcases work in the boardroom, the smart covers in my off time....
Yeah, it's overpriced, but it looks good and with a back cover, protects the iPad just fine for most situations.

h00ligan
Jun 13, 2011, 11:50 PM
I think the black leather is going to look a lot better.. but I also have a small dog who somehow consistently finds a way (despite my best efforts) to get her nails across the leather.

I was looking at my leather smart cover today and thinking.. man, I really like the way this is wearing. I didn't initially, but it came round. I'll post a pic later.. no doubt some will hate it... but I have always liked distressed leather.. why pay for it when you can make your own. :)

maniacphoner
Jun 14, 2011, 04:35 PM
Smartcovers actually do come in handy; at least that's how i feel about them.

lucyna
Jun 14, 2011, 08:45 PM
This Polyurethane ipad 2 smart cover about $28 http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1147287&page=4

and I searched the same site, the Leather ipad 2 smart cover is about $43.99, all free shipping, which to buy, depend on you.

Dtn01
Jun 15, 2011, 07:51 PM
This Polyurethane ipad 2 smart cover about $28 http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1147287&page=4

and I searched the same site, the Leather ipad 2 smart cover is about $43.99, all free shipping, which to buy, depend on you.

Wow that is cheap. Is this the genuine apple smart cover?

flatline82
Jun 15, 2011, 08:10 PM
My black leather smart cover is still going strong... It works well, though I'll agree, way overpriced.

GovtLawyer
Jun 15, 2011, 08:57 PM
Since the SMart Cover only covers the front, what is recommended for the back? I do not want to put the covered case in another case. That seems to be overkill.

hitekalex
Jun 15, 2011, 09:06 PM
Since the SMart Cover only covers the front, what is recommended for the back? I do not want to put the covered case in another case. That seems to be overkill.

Get a transparent skin for the back. I use BestSkinsEver - works great.

tp1
Jun 19, 2011, 08:56 AM

Apple iPad 2 Leather Smart Cover (http://www.case2case.net/apple-ipad-2-leather-smart-cover-black.html) $43.99, who try?

uiop.
Jun 19, 2011, 11:10 AM
All the smart covers are over priced. I have the black leather one that I didn't pay for- I had a couple of Apple Store gift cards that I used on it. I would have never purchased it with my own money. It's a nice cover, very unique in the way that it works, but it doesn't provide much protection other than from dust getting on the screen. And I hate using my iPad with the smart cover folded on the back of it. I always end up pulling it off during use.