Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saniko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2010
So I stepped up to the plate and purchased the iPad Messenger Bag from Vaja ($280 + $64 shipping). I have it now, and here are my thoughts.

PROS:
  • The leather is high quality
  • It can fit iPads with low profile covers
  • It will be good for any iPad ever. It isn't built for one model

CONS:
  • It definitely seems like a purse. My wife now questions my sexuality, and I'm not sure I'm 100% comfortable carrying it in public. Some of this has to do with the bright red trim
  • It's too expensive. $344 is too much
  • It has very little space for anything else and the small pocket is just weird. Not sure what I should use it for and why they didn't make it bigger.

Looking back, I probably should have gone for the Tom Bihn Ristretto. I would return the Vaja if I could, but I still haven't made up my mind. I think I'm just going to keep it until I determine whether I like it (and "man" up to it).

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
So I stepped up to the plate and purchased the iPad Messenger Bag from Vaja ($280 + $64 shipping). I have it now, and here are my thoughts.

PROS:

CONS:
  • It definitely seems like a purse. My wife now questions my sexuality, and I'm not sure I'm 100% comfortable carrying it in public. Some of this has to do with the bright red trim
  • It has very little space for anything else and the small pocket is just weird. Not sure what I should use it for and why they didn't make it bigger.

Looking back, I probably should have gone for the Tom Bihn Ristretto. I would return the Vaja if I could, but I still haven't made up my mind. I think I'm just going to keep it until I determine whether I like it (and "man" up to it).

It's funny isn't it. The fragile male sexual self image and homophobia. All staight men suffer from it. The funny thing is, it's really just these dern bags. I don't have any other questionable desires. I don't secretly want to wear laddies undergarments or whatever, yet this leather bag thing has got the better of me (I own a Musetto...BLACK TRIM THOUGH :eek: )

I just can't use it. It's pretty weird actually. I swear two gay guys commented on it. I heard the word "leather" as I walked by. :D

saniko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Yup. $64 of shipping. They only report $50 worth of content for customs.

Resale value on this bag on eBay is about $150. I think I'm going to try to return it and get at least my $280 back.

Seriously, if they just made this slightly bigger and had a lighter trim and ... No, it would still not be enough. Price + appearance = embarrassment

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Yup. $64 of shipping. They only report $50 worth of content for customs.

Resale value on this bag on eBay is about $150. I think I'm going to try to return it and get at least my $280 back.

Seriously, if they just made this slightly bigger and had a lighter trim and ... No, it would still not be enough. Price + appearance = embarrassment

Where did the bag ship from?

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Argentina

Thanks! I ordered something from them and received an automated message from FedEx indicating a 'signature required' package was to be delivered today. I checked the Vaja website and they do not have any retail stores in Argentina so I couldn't figure out what was being delivered. According to FedEx the package is stuck in Argentina and the description says 'Delay beyond our control'.

saniko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2010
They used DHL fir my shipping. I've been a huge fan of Vaja since I got a case for the Compaq 3650 PDA a long time ago. However, there price + shipping is very high.

I never got a shipping notification from them but the package got here before I needed to contact customer service. The origin of their packages is usually Beunos Aires.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Unless they are shipping it with some Jet flight, I am not paying 64 dollars shipping for a bag.

saniko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2010
I believe that you can avoid the shipping charges if you go through cases.com

I owned the muzetto too and returned it. The lack of a magnetic clasp on it along with how easily the leather got "scarred" was frustrating. However, everything else I've purchased from Waterfield (cableguy, cosmo, various sleeves, suede jackets) have been fantastic.

For the price though, the muzetto is definitely a better deal than the vaja. Appearance is in the eye of the beholder... I would say the vaja is better there. There are definitely some serious drawbacks to getting leather cases. I previously received a Saddleback satchel before returning it due to the ridiculous weight.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
My Muzetto is absolutely gorgeous and looks even better in person than it does in pictures

saniko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Yes, it is a pretty bag. Are you male or female? Its definitely an ideal unisex bag.

Hellokittyutah

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
I am so frustrated with Vaja right now! I ordered a libretto more than one month ago and they have not responded to my emails when I ask them why it has not been delivered. I actually paid more than $160.00 for this privilege. Who knows where my case is ... Buenos Aires? In a plane? Who knows!!!

saniko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Hmmm... in over 12 years of dealing with them, that doesn't seem to be typical. I requested a refund request a earlier this morning, and got a message from cecilia@vajacases.com

I would recommend you reach out to her as soon as possible. She's been pretty good with response times, although I'm currently panicked about whether the messenger bag shows ANY signs of use from the few hours that I've had it. Apparently, they have some rigorous testing process prior to issuing a refund, and sending it back to argentina for this is making me nervous.

Hellokittyutah

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
I did email Cecilia several times and I just got an email indicating that they were going to mail it tomorrow. I am still upset because it has taken much longer than what was stated in their website. (and probably one more week from Argentina to the US)

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

PROS:

CONS:

I was contemplating getting this bag as I actually like the look and the red trim ( it matches with my black with red trim Vaja iPad 2 sleeve and forthcoming Vaja iPhone 4 black case with red stripe ). However after reading your comments it looks like there is not a whole lot of space for other things and therefore at that price it's not worth it. Maybe for $100-150 it might be.

saniko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Well, this is definitely a bag that grows on you. I'm pretty happy with it after a week.

saniko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2010
It has more space than I originally thought it did. Since it's a soft cover, you can put something in the internal pockets without affecting overall capacity.

Some of the Cons that have been negated:
- It's a purse if you carry it like one. If you carry it "like it ain't no thing", it's pure James Bond
- It's perfectly sized for an iPad and a small netbook like the Vaio P. Otherwise, it's perfectly sized for a normal sized netbook. I wouldn't be surprised if the 11.6" Macbook Air was a good fit, but don't have one to try it with
- The small pocket is great for usb cables or extra camera batteries

New cons:
- I don't think there is any weather resistant coating. This $344 bag is going to get slaughtered in the rain

saniko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Are you referring to the Waterfield Muzetto, the Vaja iPad Messenger Bag, or both?

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
No matter how you slice it a man purse is still a purse. I'm sure because it's Vaja the quality is outstanding but I'd never buy nor carry one. Leather backpack yes, purse no.

Let's face it, there's only so many women to sell purses to, so some marketing exec shouted somewhere, "eureka!, the man purse!" :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.