Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam235

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2011
CA
thanks for the reply guys, i wasnt sure if its worth it because the new 1 is coming out in 3 months

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Once the iPad came out the iPod touch was never worth it, when you can just get a bigger and better iPad.

The touch was a good device, but when the iP4 and iPad are so far ahead of it, it really doesn't compare. IMO

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
is the ipod touch worth it right now?opinions?
What does the above question even mean? "Worth it right now"??? :confused:

Once the iPad came out the iPod touch was never worth it, when you can just get a bigger and better iPad.

The touch was a good device, but when the iP4 and iPad are so far ahead of it, it really doesn't compare. IMO

What an ignorant comment. I see people every day jogging down the road with an iPad on their waist. :rolleyes: I usually carry my iPad in my pocket.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
What an ignorant comment. I see people every day jogging down the road with an iPad on their waist. :rolleyes: I usually carry my iPad in my pocket.

How am I ignorant. He asked if it is worth it. Currently you can get a new iPad 1 at an AT&T store for less that a 32GB iPod touch, and it does more, has better specs, etc....thats' the worth thus it isn't worth it. Sheesh, anal much?

Besides those people you see jogging actually have iPhones;)

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Wrong. iPhone is coming out. iPod touch will not come out until later this year.

The iPods have been updated in September for the last X number of years now. So expect a new Ipod Touch then. Worth it to buy an iPod Touch right now, today? Only if you need one to make money with or survive. I would wait until September when the new ones come out if it was me.

I own the iPod Touch 2nd generation (32 GB) and wear it while walking or working out at the gym. I really enjoy mine. Sure I wish it had a camera and a retina display, but it still works just as well as when I bought it and when I buy my next one someday it will have some updated cool stuff on it.

Last edited:

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Wrong. iPhone is coming out. iPod touch will not come out until later this year.

The iPod Touch will come out regardless of what happens to the iPhone. That is irrelevant. Especially with the new iMessage on iOS 5. iPod Touch sales are going to go through the roof.

The iPod Touch is definitely worth the pick up right now. In a few months you'll have a brand new iOS that will make it feel even more amazing.

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011

I can't tell if you are serious are not.

The ipod touch still oversells the ipad by a 3-1 ratio and thats with ipad2 just being released. The conception is that the ipad is still and oversized ipod touch and its starting price much higher than ipod touch makes the ipad a rip off.

499$ for ipad.....that money can be spent on a decent computer like a windows computer with i3 core processor 4GB ram, and ipad uses iphones mobile operating system( not even mac OS).

If someone wants a good computer, it would be windows 7 laptops, if they want a touchscreen device for fun and listening music, it would be the ipod touch. The ipad isnt a device that appeals a group of people, its more of a luxury item, one that represents status symbol because the person bought a mediocre touchscreen computer instead of a capable windows 7 computer.\

The ipad is not worth it and i dont think it will ever become as popular as the nanos, touches and the phones.

No, iphone 5 and itouch 5g are coming out in september.
The iPods have been updated in September for the last X number of years now. So expect a new Ipod Touch then. Worth it to buy an iPod Touch right now, today? Only if you need one to make money with or survive. I would wait until September when the new ones come out if it was me.

I own the iPod Touch 2nd generation (32 MB) and wear it while walking or working out at the gym. I really enjoy mine. Sure I wish it had a camera and a retina display, but it still works just as well as when I bought it and when I buy my next one someday it will have some updated cool stuff on it.

wow 32MB, that is quite special :rolleyes:

CPancake

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
How am I ignorant. He asked if it is worth it. Currently you can get a new iPad 1 at an AT&T store for less that a 32GB iPod touch, and it does more, has better specs, etc....thats' the worth thus it isn't worth it. Sheesh, anal much?

Besides those people you see jogging actually have iPhones;)

iPad != iPod.

iPad isn't meant for playing music, atleast in the same way it is on an iPod.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
As usual: it all depends

In my case I have daily my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 with me; no need for my iPod 3rd gen anymore. My daily music needs are covered by the 32GB of the phone. I right now use it as test environment for IOS5; but else not touched in the last 12 month. To lazy to sell, too.

But if you don't have iP4 or want more storage the Touch is still very nice. And also less bulky compared to the iPhone.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
I have the 64gb 3rd gen Touch. It rocks, even Infinity Blade. Throw an otterbox on it and it's gym ready. I wouldn't consider taking my iPad to the gym, as I take care of my stuff and don't want it getting broken. And I'm not some pretentious yuppy queef... :cool: Yeah, went there...

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California

While sitting in a doctor's, dentist's office or waiting for a friend, I can pull my iPod Touch out of my pocket and read a downloaded book. It is small to hold but easy to read. My iPad works great at home and usually resides near my couch, but it's just too large to carry around all the time. Therein lies the usefulness of the iPod Touch for me.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
I would buy it today except for the nagging thought that in September a better version comes out.I bought an imac last december and new version came out but no earthshaking reason to upgrade but I feel the ipod touch 5g will be worth the wait.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010

:D:D:D:D

A iPad is not a mobile device like the iPod Touch and iPhone. Can you put a iPad in your pocket and listen to music when you go shopping?

The iPad is so big, you want to put it on your lap or on a table, might as well get a Macbook Pro/Air then.

The only thing I might buy an iPad 2 for, is reading journals/pdf in bed late at night. ( I don't want to take my MBP on my bed, I'm afraid dust will go into the vents )

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

I'd love to see someone stick an iPad in a shirt pocket. Not everyone has room to carry around an iPad. I have an iPod Touch and it's fine for listening to music on the bus/subway. And an you jog while listening to an iPad? Haven't seen anyone doing that yet.

** edit.. Looks like Mark has the same thoughts.

Helixc0de

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2011
iPod touches and iPods themselves are kinda going out of style. Most smart phones will replace the iPod touch because not only can they plays music, they also have multiple apps and internet access virtually any where. Also the iPad and iPhone 4 are far ahead of the current generation iPod. Also iOS 5 is a little bit more buggy on iPods from what I have experienced. Overall if you want to have a iDevice the iPhone 4 is virtually the best one out at this time. It's very portable fast front camera, and better hardware than a iPod.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
True but you are locked into a hefty monthly charge and if you have no use for a phone its a waste of money.Hopefully the hardware will catch up in the 5g touch.

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
iPod touches and iPods themselves are kinda going out of style. Most smart phones will replace the iPod touch because not only can they plays music, they also have multiple apps and internet access virtually any where. Also the iPad and iPhone 4 are far ahead of the current generation iPod. Also iOS 5 is a little bit more buggy on iPods from what I have experienced. Overall if you want to have a iDevice the iPhone 4 is virtually the best one out at this time. It's very portable fast front camera, and better hardware than a iPod.

ipod nanos yes

but the ipod touch no, the ipod touch especially the newer generations are status symbols like the iphone 4.
iPad and iphone are ahead because they have higher build prices and are higher level devices.

The people who do not want to be bined to a contract buys an ipod touch. I see many people having ipod touches to complement their dumb phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.