PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs Pitches Cupertino on New Apple Campus

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 8, 2011, 12:52 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/steve-jobs-pitches-cupertino-on-new-apple-campus/)

Late last year it was revealed (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/06/norman-foster-to-design-apples-new-cupertino-campus/) that Apple purchased a 98-acre campus from Hewlett Packard, just up I-280 in Cupertino. Last night, Apple CEO Steve Jobs explained Apple's plans for the space to the Cupertino City Council. Here's what the new 4-story building will look like:

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/newapplecampus.jpg

(http://www.front.macrumors.com/?attachment_id=314040)
As Steve describes it:
It's a pretty amazing building. It's a little like a spaceship landed. It's got this gorgeous courtyard in the middle... It's a circle. It's curved all the way around. If you build things, this is not the cheapest way to build something. There is not a straight piece of glass in this building. It's all curved. We've used our experience making retail buildings all over the world now, and we know how to make the biggest pieces of glass in the world for architectural use. And, we want to make the glass specifically for this building here. We can make it curve all the way around the building... It's pretty cool.The facility will be 80% landscaping, with most of the parking underground, compared to 20% landscaping with all above ground parking currently. The current campus has 3,700 trees and Apple plans to increase that to more than 6,000 trees, including "some apricot orchards."

Apple also plans to build its own energy generation facility using natural gas, with the electricity grid as a backup.

gtuz5OmOh

Article Link: Steve Jobs Pitches Cupertino on New Apple Campus (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/steve-jobs-pitches-cupertino-on-new-apple-campus/)

boss.king
Jun 8, 2011, 12:57 AM
That looks freaking amazing. Wonder what the price tag is for a place like that...

Boxer757
Jun 8, 2011, 12:57 AM
That is awesome. Wonder how long it will take to complete construction...

aznkid25
Jun 8, 2011, 12:58 AM
That design looks awesome. SJ in his signature black turtleneck. It does sound like a bit weak though.

Moyank24
They really are trying to make it look like the Mothership. That looks pretty sweet.

slimbek
I love that Steve is still wearing his black turtle neck and jeans... even presenting to the local council.

batchtaster
Jun 8, 2011, 12:59 AM
That is an amazing iCampus.

Chaos215bar2
Jun 8, 2011, 01:01 AM
The amount of open land in this design is amazing.

Hueyfreeman
Jun 8, 2011, 01:01 AM
Natural gas? Go with Solar even better for the environment at only 4x the cost. ;)

Also Sterling Archer said he wants his turtle neck back.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 8, 2011, 01:02 AM
That is an amazing iCampus.

It does look amazing but I hope it isn;t called that.

commander.data
Jun 8, 2011, 01:02 AM
So is this going to replace the existing campus, the old one goes up for sale, or just supplement it, by being the new headquarters with the old one repurposed as a satellite campus?

ziggyonice
Jun 8, 2011, 01:03 AM
If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that they're even building an underground, high-speed subway to connect the two campuses together.

Incredible.

EDIT: Found the source (Cult of Mac (http://www.cultofmac.com/report-apple-to-build-new-futuristic-new-campus-designed-by-famous-british-architect/72141)). Apple intends on using the 100 acres of land they purchased for $300 million from HP last month to build a partially domed, green-friendly campus with an intensive subterranean road and transportation network

JesterJJZ
Jun 8, 2011, 01:04 AM
That was better than the Keynote the other day.

sparkie7
Jun 8, 2011, 01:05 AM
holeee guacamoleee! :D that will be amazing grace when its built. imagine they will grow organic tomatoes and beans+ to make vegetarian burgers on site

lyrrad721
Jun 8, 2011, 01:06 AM
One word: Pimpin' :cool:

vertgo
Jun 8, 2011, 01:06 AM
Good luck trying to negotiate with Steve Jobs if you're in Cupertino. I mean, shouldn't he have stacked the city council by now with all iDrones? How much of the city's population is Apple employees?

MacGeek50
Jun 8, 2011, 01:07 AM
Good for Apple and especially Jobs, I think they deserve a new campus. Great to see him so healthy too! :)

TMay
Jun 8, 2011, 01:09 AM
Maybe something as this is going provide the power generation;

http://www.fastcompany.com/1557348/bloombox-bloom-box-fuel-cell-60-minutes-kleiner-perkins-kr-sridhar-green-energy-google

sparkie7
Jun 8, 2011, 01:11 AM
That looks freaking amazing. Wonder what the price tag is for a place like that...

Verging 1 billion+ upwards probably.  will still have lots of coin left in the purse afterwards

Roy G Biv
Was the council's request for free wifi in jest, or are they retarded?

bitsoda
I love how Steve knows he's the smartest person in the room as he assures the city councilman that he has no need for using their third-rate touchscreen drawing technology.

"I don't need to draw on the screen; you can see it clearly." - SJ

OriginalMacRat
Jun 8, 2011, 01:13 AM
Natural gas? Go with Solar even better for the environment at only 4x the cost. ;)

They should do a combination of solutions.

All that roof space would be good for the solar panels and all that land would be good for a few windmill generators as well.

Axemantitan
Jun 8, 2011, 01:13 AM
we know how to make the biggest pieces of glass in the world for architectural use. And, we want to make the glass specifically for this building here. We can make it curve all the way around the building... It's pretty cool.

Is it all one giant window stretching all the way around the building?

aznkid25
Jun 8, 2011, 01:16 AM
Mayor tries to get Jobs to build an Apple Store in Cupertino, showing him how much he loves his ipad.

*LTD*
Apple applying their tech design prowess to architecture. In a big way.

Love it.

slimbek
Poor Steve just has to stand there listening to these Council people grovel, sleaze and weasel Free Wifi, Apple Stores and money out of him.

Mord
Gosh.

That looks like one hell of a campus.

tbl
Jun 8, 2011, 01:18 AM

I do hope it was in jest... but that woman seemed very much sincere.

Loved Steve's response though.

batchtaster
Jun 8, 2011, 01:19 AM
It does look amazing but I hope it isn;t called that.

It was just rhetoric.

iCampus was "a research collaboration between Microsoft Research and MIT whose goal is to create and demonstrate technologies with the potential for revolutionary change throughout the university curriculum. (http://icampus.mit.edu/)"

iDonut sounds less scholastic anyway; iHaemorrhoidCushion to the less kind.

hollerz
Poor Steve just has to stand there listening to these Council people grovel, sleaze and weasel Free Wifi, Apple Stores and money out of him.

lol that's what I thought. Hardly the most professional bench of councillors.

Building looks amazing though :D

SSDGUY
"We've used our experience making retail buildings all over the world now, and we know how to make the biggest pieces of glass in the world for architectural use. And, we want to make the glass specifically for this building here. We can make it curve all the way around the building... It's pretty cool."

I hope they put a bumper/case on the building. And hold it right.

cosmokanga2
Jun 8, 2011, 01:20 AM

Ground break next year and move in in 2015.

wingfaith
lol... apple has way too much money.... holy..

Galaxas0
I live freaking right next to this T_T

M87
Jun 8, 2011, 01:22 AM
That concept is amazing. Apple should design everything. Sadly Steve doesn't sound very well, you really have to wonder if he will be around when it is completed.

batchtaster
Jun 8, 2011, 01:23 AM

Not a glass problem, as you know.

Funkymonk
Jun 8, 2011, 01:24 AM
Amazing. Things like this make Apple magical.

mactactic
280 will be a bigger parking lot than it is now !!
Hey Steve ask VTA to build a light rail connection from Wolfe Rd to Cal Train to ease the TRAFFIC !!!

t0mbola
Curved glass => iPhone 5 curved glass rumor :rolleyes:

insignificantMB
Jun 8, 2011, 01:26 AM
Reminds me of the Umbrella Corporation.
Especially with the underground subway if it is built.

sparkie7
Jun 8, 2011, 01:26 AM
Who needs the White House after this is built. Steve should be the US president. And I'm not kidding!

MrSmith
Jun 8, 2011, 01:27 AM
Nice building, but the meeting made me cringe.

BB1970
Jun 8, 2011, 01:29 AM
It really is a walled garden !

:p

appleguy123
Jun 8, 2011, 01:30 AM

IF you watched the video, he said it they would move in in 2015.

batchtaster
Jun 8, 2011, 01:30 AM
Wait. Why are they planting apricot (http://www.apricotcomputers.com) orchards, rather than Apple orchards?

jdogg836
Jun 8, 2011, 01:31 AM
That concept is amazing. Apple should design everything. Sadly Steve doesn't sound very well, you really have to wonder if he will be around when it is completed.

I felt the same way the whole way through the video, you can tell he just doesn't have a whole lot of energy.

appleguy123
Jun 8, 2011, 01:31 AM
So is this going to replace the existing campus, the old one goes up for sale, or just supplement it, by being the new headquarters with the old one repurposed as a satellite campus?

Once again, the video has the answer. They're going to keep employees in both of them.

jdogg836
Jun 8, 2011, 01:32 AM
Wait. Why are they planting apricot (http://www.apricotcomputers.com) orchards, rather than Apple orchards?

That was what was planted on that exact location before Hewlett-Packard built those buildings.

richard.mac
Jun 8, 2011, 01:32 AM
the architecture of that building looks amazing. love the courtyard and trees in the middle and that its being designed to be eco friendly.

also is the video not loading on the page for anyone else? heres a link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtuz5OmOh_M

appleguy123
Jun 8, 2011, 01:34 AM
"We've used our experience making retail buildings all over the world now, and we know how to make the biggest pieces of glass in the world for architectural use. And, we want to make the glass specifically for this building here. We can make it curve all the way around the building... It's pretty cool."

http://blog.iskysoft.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/pudong_photo1.jpg

ABernardoJr
Jun 8, 2011, 01:35 AM
Curved glass => iPhone 5 curved glass rumor :rolleyes:

lol That came to mind as I read about the curved glass...

powers74
Jun 8, 2011, 01:36 AM
I wonder what the address will be...

milani
Jun 8, 2011, 01:36 AM
I love how Jobs managed to turn a city council meeting into a keynote presentation.

kppolich
Jun 8, 2011, 01:37 AM
master of ceremonies MC JOBS

GregAndonian
Jun 8, 2011, 01:38 AM
They should plant some apple trees in the middle. That would be really cool

TMay
Jun 8, 2011, 01:40 AM
It wouldn't take much to tweat the design to look like the Quicktime X logo from space.

That would be way cool.

d4rkc4sm
Jun 8, 2011, 01:40 AM
sitting high and kissing steve's ass. never seen such a bunch of useless people.

mickhyperion
Jun 8, 2011, 01:41 AM
Sounds reminiscent in some respects to Walt Disney's original concept for EPCOT (Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow) before his company re-envisioned it as a theme park after his death. Perhaps ironically, it was his last great dream.

SchneiderMan
Jun 8, 2011, 01:42 AM
Steve is one amazing person.

appleguy123
According to Wikipedia, there are 60,000 people in Cupertino, and 12-13000 of them are Apple employees. Does Steve hire any of the board members? Simple statistics says that 1 or 2 of them are likely to be under his employ.

kppolich
Once again money talks.

louiek
Jun 8, 2011, 01:43 AM
It wouldn't take much to tweat the design to look like the Quicktime X logo from space.

That would be way cool.

From space it'll look like a giant scroll wheel.

baummer
Jun 8, 2011, 01:46 AM
So that's what they're doing with all of the money they're saving by not rewarding investors through dividends.

Reach9
Jun 8, 2011, 01:46 AM
I want to work for Apple at Cupertino now.

kiljoy616
Jun 8, 2011, 01:48 AM
I am drooling just looking at it Donut. :) Serious that is beautiful:cool:

appleguy123
Jun 8, 2011, 01:48 AM

I thought this too. That awesome building is making me not want to be an Evolutionary Biologist much anymore. :cool:

TMar
Jun 8, 2011, 01:49 AM
According to Wikipedia, there are 60,000 people in Cupertino, and 12-13000 of them are Apple employees. Does Steve hire any of the board members? Simple statistics says that 1 or 2 of them are likely to be under his employ.

Took the time to check wiki but not watch the video? He said they even bused people in, even without that anyone would be safe to assume that not every employee lives in Cupertino.

slimbek
I felt the same way the whole way through the video, you can tell he just doesn't have a whole lot of energy.

I think he just had no energy to talk in front of a group of Council folk who are smitten by Apple. He knew what he'd be up against... I'd be pretty over it too.

kiljoy616
So that's what they're doing with all of the money they're saving by not rewarding investors through dividends.

ROFL your not an investor are you? ROI can be had many ways and Apple is doing just fine for those who have invested in it over the years. Oh yes we have.

appleguy123
Jun 8, 2011, 01:50 AM
Took the time to check wiki but not watch the video? He said they even bused people in, even without that anyone would be safe to assume that not every employee lives in Cupertino.

I did watch the video. I think he said that the majority lived in Cupertino and used the threat of them all leaving in his pitch.

NinjaHERO
Jun 8, 2011, 01:52 AM
That building is awesome.

And am I the only one who is tired of all the cities and their constant "what's in it for us" whining?

You get a crapton of tax revenue and local jobs.

tempusfugit
Jun 8, 2011, 01:52 AM

When you have more than $40 billion in cash like apple does, I supposed you'd tend not to care.

Thex1138
Jun 8, 2011, 01:53 AM
The sacred Apple iDevices are buried in the centre of the forest...

An alter... An Ark for the iPad... The Ark of Cupertino.

You'll need the head piece to the Staff of Ra.

:rolleyes:

TeamMojo
Jun 8, 2011, 01:54 AM
Jeez the onslaught of patently ridiculous question shows just how large the disparity is between the political-statist-do-nothings and the private producers like Apple.

Audacious demands like free Wi-Fi? Ridiculous questions about safety when one can't even build a fence anymore without municipal permits? And the finale of the mayor simultaneously gushing and begging. Enough to make one sick.

Only the one guy with years of corporate experience at HP had an appropriate response.

Those who can do. Those who can't work in government.

Michael Scrip
Jun 8, 2011, 01:54 AM

Apple's new NC data center is 500,000 sqft... and it cost $1,000,000,000.

I'm not sure how much of that was servers and other hardware... but overall it's just a metal warehouse.

The new Apple campus building will be a state of the art piece of architecture... with all sorts of alternative energy and other technologies...

I'm guessing at least $2,000,000,000 or more...

appleguy123
Jun 8, 2011, 01:57 AM
I love the 'What about safety regulations?' questions. Steve handled it far better than I would have.
'We like our employees, we wouldn't want to burn them up!"
That's class.

SchneiderMan
Jun 8, 2011, 01:57 AM
I can't believe these stupid questions being asked by those council members..

jjp14
Jun 8, 2011, 02:00 AM
Wow.. that's an incredible building.

I wonder if they will call it THE Infinite Loop

MacsOnAnabolics
Jun 8, 2011, 02:00 AM
That looks like a version of the Large-Hadron Collider (LHC)! Maybe they are going to start investing in particle physics. ...future MacBook Pro will be called "QuantumBook," theoretically speaking that is. :rolleyes:

FroMann
Jun 8, 2011, 02:01 AM
Apple re-invents the office building?

HiRez
Jun 8, 2011, 02:02 AM
It's like the civilian Pentagon.

dacreativeguy
Jun 8, 2011, 02:04 AM
You know, for kids!

iRobby
Jun 8, 2011, 02:04 AM
VERY IMPRESSIVE!! - was it me or did Steve speak longer at the council mtg then at the Keynote yesterday. Speaking of which why isn't he still there?

iStudentUK
Jun 8, 2011, 02:08 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's like the civilian Pentagon.

It reminds me of "the doughnut" where GCHQ in the UK is based. Looks like it would be a great building! Very infinite-loopy!

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Society/Pix/pictures/2008/04/15/GCHQ.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_Communications_Headquarters

joepunk
Jun 8, 2011, 02:09 AM

If they need a concert photographer I'm all ready with my resume :D

bluemonkeyguy
Jun 8, 2011, 02:10 AM
God he looks frail:(:(:(

shigzeo
Jun 8, 2011, 02:12 AM
You know, for kids!

Very cute. I just re-watched the Hudsucker Proxy, a film I used to love. It wasn't as magical as when I was a kid, but it was fun. Now, I think that movie broke my MacBook Pro. The fan is all wonky as of yesterday. And I'm a year out from being able to budget for a replacement.

Boxer757
Jun 8, 2011, 02:13 AM
IF you watched the video, he said it they would move in in 2015.

My bad, thanks for putting me in my place with an unnecessarily snarky response :rolleyes:

Ground break next year and move in in 2015.

Thanks for the polite answer. ;)

Surely
Jun 8, 2011, 02:14 AM

He was using his Jedi powers on them.

sparkie7
Jun 8, 2011, 02:17 AM
VERY IMPRESSIVE!! - was it me or did Steve speak longer at the council mtg then at the Keynote yesterday.

No doubt this is SJ's pet project so gets his time. Pretty big deal for  I reckon.

fat phil
Jun 8, 2011, 02:17 AM
Cool design.

Makes the Pentagon look decidedly low-res. :)

adztaylor
Jun 8, 2011, 02:18 AM
Wow grovel city.

Nice building though.

jworthy
Jeez the onslaught of patently ridiculous question shows just how large the disparity is between the political-statist-do-nothings and the private producers like Apple.

Audacious demands like free Wi-Fi? Ridiculous questions about safety when one can't even build a fence anymore without municipal permits? And the finale of the mayor simultaneously gushing and begging. Enough to make one sick.

Only the one guy with years of corporate experience at HP had an appropriate response.

Those who can do. Those who can't work in government.

I agree 100%. Steve is absolutely right in saying that Cupertino should be the ones providing the free wi-fi with all the taxes Apple must be paying.

How typical of a government body to ask its people "what's in it for us?" instead of "what can we do for you?"

drewisanapple
They mentioned an auditorium, much like one used for WWDC, so can we guess that future events will be held there after completion?

If so will it house more than 5,200?

Benjamins
Jun 8, 2011, 02:19 AM
lol free wifi....

Do they even know what are they talking about.

drewisanapple
Jun 8, 2011, 02:20 AM
I agree 100%. Steve is absolutely right in saying that Cupertino should be the ones providing the free wi-fi with all the taxes Apple must be paying.

How typical of a government body to ask its people "what's in it for us?" instead of "what can we do for you?"

In all honesty, wifi should be free. Anywhere.

wulf
Jun 8, 2011, 02:21 AM
Apple's success is undeniable, but what happens in the future? I mean a large portion of apple's success is based on the ideology and leadership of Jobs. I don't think that apple's success will implode without Steve, but I mean, this guy is like a rock star! But what happens to the building, if Apple would be less successful? Is it likely that Apple can sell this building? I'm sure they have thought about it. I do think this was a question to be asked by the council. I do think this meeting was just an alibi to have mr Jobs in that room to actually promote Cupertino. I mean anyone could have done this well scripted hearing, right? So I guess Apple has done it's service to the community ... Judging from the reactions on this board I can tell it has worked. A lot of people want to work for Apple en live in Cupertino, even without free Wifi! :eek:

drewisanapple
Jun 8, 2011, 02:21 AM
lol free wifi....

Do they even know what are they talking about.

Nope. But since they threw it out there, they can throw the accompanying fees to push wifi to the people.

Horus
Jun 8, 2011, 02:23 AM
LOL

They have his highness himself in front of them, and the best they can come with is asking him for Free WiFi...

Rot'nApple
Jun 8, 2011, 02:23 AM
Is it all one giant window stretching all the way around the building?

The Cupertino area is not prone to the earthquakes that affect the region, I hope. Otherwise that will be a boatload of broken glass to sweep up! ;)

And while apricot orchards are nice... What?! No apple orchards?!!...
/
/
/

caspersoong
Jun 8, 2011, 02:26 AM
I wonder what the building will be for.

drewisanapple
Jun 8, 2011, 02:26 AM
The Cupertino area is not prone to the earthquakes that affect the region, I hope. Otherwise that will be a boatload of broken glass to sweep up! ;)

And while apricot orchards are nice... What?! No apple orchards?!!...
/
/
/

Apples with bites taken out of them, in white, don't grow on trees, you know? ;)

drewisanapple
Jun 8, 2011, 02:29 AM

The video even stated this. It will have 4 stories, including a place for a café and developers and coders.
Assume it has new iOS and OS X areas, it's bringing all the offices outside of Infinite Loop together in two locations.

A steve quote " It Just Works "

Benjamins
Jun 8, 2011, 02:29 AM

Housing all the employees that they can't fit in the current campus.

anjonjp
Jun 8, 2011, 02:31 AM
Why apricot orchards instead of apple orchards!!?:eek::);):apple::apple::apple:

Seriously though, the project looks exciting!! Hopefully, this will be a structure that will become a future historical building too (regardless of who its tenants may be far down the timeline). :cool:

wizzerandchips
looks great, but steve is very ill! out of breath, he needs a hospital , he wont see it finished that im sure :eek:

Mitthrawnuruodo
Ah, my precious, the ring to bind us all… :D

bluemonkeyguy
Jun 8, 2011, 02:32 AM
looks great, but steve is very ill! out of breath, he needs a hospital , he wont see it finished that im sure :eek:

so pessimistic:rolleyes:

kalsta
Jun 8, 2011, 02:35 AM
Once again, Apple is holding out on us. I have it on good authority that the REAL New Apple Campus looks like this…

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee430/kalsta1/therealnewapplecampus.jpg

colmaclean
Jun 8, 2011, 02:37 AM
In the UK, as well as GCHQ (mentioned earlier), we've got the Diamond Light Source (http://www.diamond.ac.uk/) research centre...

http://advancingphysics.wikispaces.com/file/view/Aerial_July06_04.jpg/30827865/Aerial_July06_04.jpg

Never mind all that, they could at least make the building an oval and fit a football (soccer) pitch in the middle!

drewisanapple
Jun 8, 2011, 02:38 AM
so pessimistic:rolleyes:

People do get way to caught up in the "will he make it?" piece. Steve made it through the entire thing. He made through the keynote in March and WWDC, he's 50+ and he has had some bad health, he runs at his best, and the fact he is sticking with the company, instead of retiring to money, is very admirable. So I agree that people are so pessimistic at this.

Rot'nApple
We've gone from one infinite loop, to one infinite big a$$ circle! :D
/
/

David Ormesher
I can't get over the extremely awkward pause from Steve after they asked for an Apple Store in Cupertino… I'm a little surprised he didn't pull out his iPhone and make the cricket sound, but oh…wait, he didn't have to.

I wonder if they don't need an Apple Store in Cupertino because 20% of the people that live there are employees that would have no need for an Apple Store.

rouxeny
Jun 8, 2011, 02:39 AM
Wow, looks impressive.

Crazy that they begged for free wi-fi and ipads!

Zincous
Jun 8, 2011, 02:42 AM
Babbling idiots on the city council.

Collected
Jun 8, 2011, 02:45 AM
They mentioned an auditorium, much like one used for WWDC, so can we guess that future events will be held there after completion?

If so will it house more than 5,200?

Sounded to me like they want WWDC to be on campus. Makes sense. If they've got the land why not build their own facility. Parking might be an issue.

Some of the questions were a little embarrassing. I wonder where Apple will be in 2015.

Blakeco123
Jun 8, 2011, 02:47 AM

Because before the HP building was there, there were apricot orchards.

2stepbay
Jun 8, 2011, 02:49 AM
Hard to believe SJ is worth multi-billions. There is no sense of ego or attitude in his presence. Just a great guy wanting to achieve the best for others. I wish him a speedy recovery.

ericdano
Jun 8, 2011, 02:52 AM
Lloyd! Ari is looking for you.

tibi08
Jun 8, 2011, 02:55 AM
This design is beautiful and I really hope they build it. But some observations - how come there are apparently no roads leading to the building, and more importantly...

How practical is a large donut building? I mean, do people really want a 20 minute walk around the donut to reach the HR department? Or can they reduce journey time to 10 minutes by cutting through the courtyard (in good weather)? :D

arkitect
Jun 8, 2011, 02:56 AM
Well Apple really have the Cupertino council by the nuts.

What is astonishing is that Jobs actually held them to ransom right there in their own council meeting.
Pretty much saying: If you don't like it we'll go elsewhere and take our tax dollars with us.
Apple would have been given the green light to do whatever they want to.

I'd speculate this bunch of whimps gave whoever had a presentation after Steve Jobs a hard time. They would have had to assert their authority again after such an a**-licking, grovelling session.

Anyway, nice enough building.

2013?

BJonson
Jun 8, 2011, 02:57 AM
What's next, sharks with freakin lazer beams attached to their heads?

MacUser5
Jun 8, 2011, 03:03 AM
I'd put a $2billion price tag on this.

Zanon
Jun 8, 2011, 03:06 AM

I'm glad to see other folks who understand this "what's in it for us" attitude those government folks have.

This following may be a rant, though it's good to understand how the cities work.

Apple does more than paying taxes. Each employee they have that lives and works (or just works in the city) do at least one of the following in the cities: pay rent/mortages, buys locally, pay sales tax, pay other forms of taxes, and so much more.

The reason the city council says "what's in it for us?" is likely because they don't have a business background to understand the net effect a new place like this will bring.

They want a "tangible" write us a huge check, pay a NEW tax. They don't understand that building this building will bring a lot of people to the city to infuse money into the city even during the construction. And even if they do understand they want "instant gratification."

Steve Jobs has them by the balls though, Apple can and have the resources to move out of the city and another city would be happy to get a fraction of what Apple provides to Cupertino.

Of course Apple avoids billions of dollars of taxation due to their offshores accounts, though the people that lose that the most is the federal government and state.

They think to themselves, "you guys make billions of dollars, I only make (likely a 6 figure income if they WORK for the city), I deserve more, you guys should give us more money because we can spend it better than you. We'll building useless buildings that WE want, for OUR retirements, we want these PARKS for our kids, we want government OWNED cars" etc.

I've lived and worked in a California city that had the same attitude on a business I worked with. While the economy was tanking, they spent money like it was free.

They purchased a new city hall, I believe it was over 7 million dollars. About 50% or more of the building is still EMPTY. They received a horrible deal, but whoever sold them the building made a lot of money (likely a shady dealing with the city manager).

The pay still goes up for the city workers. While many other companies are closing, they raise pay, an already inflated pay. The city manager, last I checked, makes 197,000. He rents an apartment in the city to show that he contribues to the city, but he lives in another city, owns a house there.

It's not in his best interest to see the city succeed. I've met the guy, and he is a total slimey guy, and his lawyers too.

The city council in Cupertino do seem like a joke as well. Same for the city I came from. A bunch of old people, and a mayor who the city manager has IN HIS POCKET, meaning the city manager controls them when the mayor and city council are suppose to DIRECT the city manager.

Likely the city manager benefits when they make a stupid decision like building a senior center. There was already an existing senior center that was BARELY to capacity, likely around 20% or less. Yes, lets spend a couple of million because the economy is so great and we have this new Wal-Mart.

Who does the building of the senior center benefit the most? Well since mostly old people vote and attend city council meetings, old people, the mayor, and city council folk (re-elected).

The city manager looks good and gets to keep his cushy high paying easy job. Whoever gets the building contract or renovation contracts benefits greatly too because the city overpays them, it's not the cities workers money, they won't be frugal. The building contract or renovation likely goes to friends of someone in the city, genius!

Here is where the tie in between Cupertino and the city I use to work in comes. The city I was from says "You want to expand your business in your city do you? What's in it for us?"

Lets see, this is a small city and we employ a lot of people who LIVE here. Our business brings in a lot of people who SHOP in this city. We contribute to a lot of local organizations and purchase nearly everything we can find locally, locally.

"We want to impose a special tax on your business, we need to pay for our bad mistakes these last few years."

The city wants (and is at war with the business) to impose an additional 10%+ tax on the business. It's already been passed, and against a lot of state laws, and agreements. Hey, that's a little lower than the state tax.

--

Well of course it all works out this way when we look at the climate of many parts of California towards business.

Highest amount of lawyers in any state.

Employees are right, businesses need to prove themselves innocent.

ADA lawsuit lawyer needs to get approval from a judge to create lawsuits (he spams thousands of businesses with them, it's extortion really).

California is in massive debt and raising taxes, sales, state, etc.

People are leaving the state for other more business friendly state like Texas and Nevada.

Basically, it's to be expected that they are silly about "what's in it for us?"

They care about what they get, not what the city gets, not that this is a great revenue source or whatever other benefits they receive.

sanity
Jun 8, 2011, 03:09 AM
That big ass wheel needs some spinners!

MacFly123
Jun 8, 2011, 03:17 AM
Crazy! I had a very similar vision in mind for my companies campus :eek:

Also, I know the council members were excited to meet with and speak to Steve so they probably just said anything that came to mind as an excuse to converse with him, but MAN there were a lot of STUPID comments from them to Steve! Did anybody else think that when watching lol?

JulianL
Jun 8, 2011, 03:20 AM
This design is beautiful and I really hope they build it. But some observations - how come there are apparently no roads leading to the building, and more importantly...

How practical is a large donut building? I mean, do people really want a 20 minute walk around the donut to reach the HR department? Or can they reduce journey time to 10 minutes by cutting through the courtyard (in good weather)? :D
Good points, but a quote from the news story might hint at a solution...

"The facility will be 80% landscaping, with most of the parking underground"

So there's clearly going to be significant underground building for the car parks; it's probably not going to be a big deal to have maybe 8 underground passageways criss-crossing the central area for inclement weather. The underground connections could even have airport-style travelators so that it could actually end up being quicker for people to get between arbitrary offices within the campus. Don't forget that many of the big campuses in the bay area are multi-building anyhow so trips to other departments involve delays and an outdoor excursion in those cases.

The existence of significant underground structure probably also addresses your observation about the lack of roads, I suspect that if the carparks are underground then the access routes will be via ramps at the site perimeter that dip underground and then go on to the parking areas. That shouldn't be expensive because they won't need to tunnel, they can build the access roads in trenches that are then covered over and landscaped on top off.

There was a rumour 6 months ago that Norman Foster had won the contract for the design (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/06/norman-foster-to-design-apples-new-cupertino-campus/). Is it official who the architect is now? Surely it must be on the plans. Was that mentioned in the meeting video?

- Julian

rikscha
Jun 8, 2011, 03:21 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mr Jobs seems to be the real mayor of Cupertino. What a strange council. I always thought you would have to be able to speak English in the US to work for a government body and also have a high level of qualification. Not even Jobs really understood the concerns of the chinese guy to his left. He didnt even have real questions, asking him kind of random stuff. We are probably a bit old fashioned in this sense in Europe.

Lone Deranger
Jun 8, 2011, 03:21 AM

I think it's because a large part of Silicon Valley used to be Apricot orchards before industrial development took over.

macnisse
Jun 8, 2011, 03:22 AM
Was good the see the master in action bringing it home with his presentation. Incorporating personal anecdotes and his long time history in Cupertino there was no chance in h*ll for any opposition. Now there didn't seem to be any opposing views of the Council anyways, as shown by the pathetic ass kissing, waving iPad etc.

Optimus Frag
Jun 8, 2011, 03:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hope Steve is still around to rock up with his homies to their new iCrib.

That's not a hollowed out volcano it's being built on is it?

macnisse
Jun 8, 2011, 03:23 AM
Love the consistent positive environmental twist on :apple:'s business, from their computers to the whole new campus. I mean what other company would provide environmentally friendly commuter busses for their emlpoyees, go from 20% to 80% landscaping, etc etc?! Impressive! :)

CFreymarc
Jun 8, 2011, 03:26 AM
If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that they're even building an underground, high-speed subway to connect the two campuses together.

Incredible.

EDIT: Found the source (Cult of Mac (http://www.cultofmac.com/report-apple-to-build-new-futuristic-new-campus-designed-by-famous-british-architect/72141)).

The campus design looks great. It is going to be a hit. The light hitting this is going to allow massive day-lighting from sunrise to sunset. The underground parking is going to have a lot of other uses.

However, the underground tram between the two campuses was scrapped a few months ago over costs. Doing anything underground around here is prohibitively expensive due to earthquake code. Also, the two campuses have a major interstate between them. What you will see is a regular bus circuit running non-stop between the two.

Also, the exact migration of employees is right now set up to be those in Infinite Loop and City Center to get the new campus. The rest will move into old Loop. Also, they are going to have an EM lab at least three stories tall that will only be rivaled by major aerospace companies.

If you notice in the design, there may be a protrusion in the north east corner breaking the dual symmetry of the building. That is going to have Steve's office right at the top giving a great view of the Diablo and Santa Cruz mountains. It will also house the main entrance, auditorium and high end meeting rooms. They want a heliport on the top of this wing and I am sure it will be some back and forth with Cupertino over that. People are already jokingly calling this part of the circular building "the nipple."

I hope they post some interactive walk troughs of this place soon.

theBB
Jun 8, 2011, 03:28 AM
It is California, weather is always good.

scottness
Jun 8, 2011, 03:28 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone Dark: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)

Except at some point, somebody's gotta pay for it.

I wouldn't want to be the guy paying for everybody else's free wifi.

Skika
Jun 8, 2011, 03:33 AM

Mr Jobs seems to be the real mayor of Cupertino. What a strange council. I always thought you would have to be able to speak English in the US to work for a government body and also have a high level of qualification. Not even Jobs really understood the concerns of the chinese guy to his left. He didnt even have real questions, asking him kind of random stuff. We are probably a bit old fashioned in this sense in Europe.

Yes i thought so too. He asked him if the building will meet the standard safety regulations?? I mean after Jobs clearly gave the idea of this being an bulding of epic proportions built by the greatest experts on that field for a ton of money, thats a pretty stupid question to ask.

KTF
Jun 8, 2011, 03:34 AM
Hard to believe SJ is worth multi-billions. There is no sense of ego or attitude in his presence. Just a great guy wanting to achieve the best for others. I wish him a speedy recovery.
+1 Great post ... He i Just A Super Class Man.

NeverhadaPC
Jun 8, 2011, 03:37 AM

They'll just FaceTime ;)

CFreymarc
Jun 8, 2011, 03:40 AM

Seriously though, the project looks exciting!! Hopefully, this will be a structure that will become a future historical building too (regardless of who its tenants may be far down the timeline). :cool:

You are right here, this building is Steve's Magnus Opus and will probably be named after him as the decades pass.

Why orchards? The growth of the valley has almost made fruit orchards extinct. Before Silicon Valley, this place was known as "Valley of the Heart" and was a major fruit growing and canning place up 'til the 70's when technology took over.

One old timer who worked for Sperry in the 50's here told me he would regularly take breaks from his building near Cupertino writing mainframe code. Lunch was usually a few pieces of fruit and a ham sandwich from a pit roasted pig across the street.

The City of Sunnyvale just north of Cupertino made their last orchard area a Historic District so it wasn't cemented over a few years ago. The second to last major orchard in Sunnyvale, C. J. Olsen's, is now just an orchard themed shopping center. That upset a lot of old time Sunnyvale folks.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see these new orchards get a lot of local attention in this "urban / rural intermix." that many are trying to do. Also, like the Loop, this creates a very closed inner space that reminds me of the inner courtyard of The Pentagon in DC.

RTee
Jun 8, 2011, 03:43 AM
Wow what a building! some dumb ass questions though.

CFreymarc
Jun 8, 2011, 03:51 AM

My take, knowing Apple / Steve, this is going to be just south of $100 million if managed right. Mostly of the labor unions are kept in check from doing their usual on site job alterations to re-estimate labor fees.

Also, I can see him not allowing any illegals on the job site. Steve is a tougher SOB that the local Ironworker boss. Meetings between those two would be worth the price of admission.

I am sure the general contractors are lining up already begging to take this job.

CFreymarc
Jun 8, 2011, 03:52 AM

He saves that for private meetings. Believe me, it is there by the truckload!

dr Dunkel
Jun 8, 2011, 03:55 AM
So, that's where the investments in curved glass machinery comes into play :D

jhvander
Jun 8, 2011, 03:57 AM
The councilman giving Steve Jobs advice about how to make a presentation is about as perfect as it gets. Jobs is like, ya I got this part.

oxiabit
Jun 8, 2011, 03:59 AM
it looks like isengard :)

SimonDK
Jun 8, 2011, 04:01 AM

It truly does look like an awesome building but do a google image search for GCHQ Cheltenham and you will see a very similar design.

woodbine
Jun 8, 2011, 04:06 AM
lol that's what I thought. Hardly the most professional bench of councillors.

Building looks amazing though :D

one of them asked if Apple was going to make the building fire safe etc....daft question...but then maybe they gave a lot of unsafe buildings in Cupertino. But I cannot imagine any major architectural firm ignoring or under speccing health, fire and safety. I would think that the building regs in CA for office space is very onerous.

JamesDo
Jun 8, 2011, 04:09 AM
So if Steve Jobs is really that sick why would he present his case just one day after the WWDC?

vinnie603
Jun 8, 2011, 04:16 AM

and that's the way it should be.

stupid economics always getting away with the coin.

with this building they give something great to the people who are working their ass of to put out these products.

and its also great imagebuilding of course :)

does anyone knows who the architect is of this ??????

woodbine
Jun 8, 2011, 04:21 AM
Apple's new NC data center is 500,000 sqft... and it cost $1,000,000,000.

I'm not sure how much of that was servers and other hardware... but overall it's just a metal warehouse.

The new Apple campus building will be a state of the art piece of architecture... with all sorts of alternative energy and other technologies...

I'm guessing at least $2,000,000,000 or more...

looked up building cost SF, $250sqft x 3.1M = $775,000,000 so I imagine that must be the lowest estimate. My guess would be closer to 1.5B

SpinDrift
Jun 8, 2011, 04:25 AM
So :apple: are building their own particle accelerator?! :p

The building looks fantastic. I love the concept and can see it being a real architectural asset to Cupertino. Bringing the land back to much of it's indigenous state on the surface is exactly what companies like Apple should be doing. Although the building is large, the scale of landscaping around and within the building really makes it look like it's sharing the space with nature, rather than dominating it.

Beautiful.

Schizoid
Jun 8, 2011, 04:28 AM
Residents of Cupertino, CA... please watch this video carefully, and think about who you vote in next time... Personally I would get rid of this bunch of imbeciles

RedWeasel
Jun 8, 2011, 04:35 AM
Didn't know that Cupertino is in Asia.... learned something :)

VulchR
Jun 8, 2011, 04:35 AM
Glass... architects love it. However, for a technical building housing computers you want an internal environment that is stable. I can imagine the workers in the building getting overheated and bothered by glare. Besides, instead of a circle it should be a ∞...

rhinosrcool
Jun 8, 2011, 04:37 AM
Steve was pretty clever mentioning things like " if we have to leave Cupertino".

I'm no architect, and it is beautiful, but it looks like it wastes a lot of space? Don't the curves cut down on usable space? (I've only read the first and last page of this thread, so if any of this has been covered, just ignore it).

JS77
Jun 8, 2011, 04:40 AM
That video was awesome! Much better than the WDDC keynote :D

I love how the city council are trying their hardest to ask "serious" questions, but they can't help but try to get Steve to "love them" - I mean seriously, when the Mayor pulled out his iPad and said "I love this and my daughter loves it"... I just cringed for him.

You could see from Steve's reaction too he was thinking "you idiot..."

And this when you just gotta love Stevey :D

ArcaneDevice
Jun 8, 2011, 04:44 AM
This design is beautiful and I really hope they build it. But some observations - how come there are apparently no roads leading to the building

where they're going, they don't need roads.

Lone Deranger
Jun 8, 2011, 04:44 AM
It truly does look like an awesome building but do a google image search for GCHQ Cheltenham and you will see a very similar design.

Maybe another swipe by Eric Schmidt during his time on the Apple board? ;)

Optimus Frag
Jun 8, 2011, 04:51 AM

Why don't they just buy Cupertino?

Seriously. Buy every building, all the roads, take over the infrastructure and show local governments around the world how things should be done.

Be an interesting experiment at the very least.

louiek
Jun 8, 2011, 04:57 AM
Once again, Apple is holding out on us. I have it on good authority that the REAL New Apple Campus looks like this…

Image (http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee430/kalsta1/therealnewapplecampus.jpg)

You, Sir, are a genius.

colmaclean
Jun 8, 2011, 05:03 AM
Glass... architects love it. However, for a technical building housing computers you want an internal environment that is stable. I can imagine the workers in the building getting overheated and bothered by glare. Besides, instead of a circle it should be a ∞...

Should be fun with their glossy screens!

Lesser Evets
Jun 8, 2011, 05:10 AM
Like all such architecture, it looks awesome on renderings. While it might start out as nice as is, that donut will close up in the future if the biz expands after Jobs is in the dirt. Then the parking will creep in on the orchards and trees. Awkward additions, etc.

Can't wait to see it completed. Hope it keeps integrity.

The council members, much like the majority of council members anywhere, lack focus and intelligence. It's a "job" for housewives. Anyone with real skills or real education don't have time for that garbage.

Jobs sounds focused. The council people have little focus and all fluff.

beejam
Jun 8, 2011, 05:14 AM
Truly disappointed that Steve didn't pull a "One More Thing..." moment for the city council. Something along the lines of the building being able to actually fly would be just grand....

johneaston
Jun 8, 2011, 05:20 AM
Seems weird for a company with 12,000 employees to build a new HQ that holds 13,000. Surely they'd have outgrown the new HQ before it's even completed.

rdlink
Jun 8, 2011, 05:23 AM
Once again money talks.

Was there a point to your statement other than the obvious? Money has always "talked" and always will.

Popeye206
Jun 8, 2011, 05:27 AM
Residents of Cupertino, CA... please watch this video carefully, and think about who you vote in next time... Personally I would get rid of this bunch of imbeciles

LOL! I was thinking the same thing! +1

xlii
Jun 8, 2011, 05:39 AM
My very first thought when seeing the pic of the proposed new apple campus... the pentagon.

ratzzo
Jun 8, 2011, 05:41 AM
Amazing! Imagine if it were shaped like an :apple: :)

RichardI
Jun 8, 2011, 05:43 AM
The building looks both opulent and wasteful. It looks like Dunkin' Do-nuts headquarters.
Natural gas is not a renewable resource, and while it burns cleaner than some other alternatives, it still creates emissions. I'm afraid Mr. Jobs has reached that dangerous point in his life where he has begun to believe he is infallible, and that every decision he makes, since he made it, is absolutely correct. The power grid as a back-up??
Wind power, solar power, or geo-thermal would be a much cleaner and impressive solution. I guess Mr. Jobs isn't all that up-to-date after all.

tjcampbell
Jun 8, 2011, 05:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Steve really had to bite his Tongue. How strange it must have to been to have dealt with such morons. Free WIFI and an iPad! Imagine what apple pays in tax and brings to the community. That woman is such an idiot!!!

Hattig
Jun 8, 2011, 05:51 AM

Maybe there's a little internal transit system that goes around the circle!

Seriously, I doubt the building has a circumference over over two miles (assuming HR is directly opposite) or a diameter of 2/3rds of a mile (10 minutes across the courtyard).

KnightWRX
Jun 8, 2011, 05:52 AM
Apple's new NC data center [...] overall it's just a metal warehouse.

Please never go into the Data center design and building business. How can someone even make a comment like this... Just a metal warehouse... wow.

How typical of an American to forget the words of one of its great leaders. :rolleyes:

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country

John F. Kennedy is rolling in his grave hearing you propose the country should do something for a citizen instead of the opposite.

Sjhonny
Jun 8, 2011, 05:54 AM
I don't really like the buildings. Neither do I see the point in a completely round building, except for it's monumentalism. It I'll be very hard to fit in all the program elements, without having tons of unused spaces.

Also, it's not like there trying to do something special. It's just a gigantic apple store from the outside, with the curved glass, the white concrete and metallic (aluminium/steel) touches.

The only thing I found remarkable, I thought of it when I heard Jobs talking about the moscone as being the biggest they could get, is that they indeed intend to build something with a similar function on campus.

What I don't understand on the other hand is why they didn't fit everything into the donut.

Jun 8, 2011, 05:55 AM
Glass... architects love it. However, for a technical building housing computers you want an internal environment that is stable. I can imagine the workers in the building getting overheated and bothered by glare.

E-mail Steve asap. I too am worried they would have overlooked this when designing a three billion dollar building... :(

What I don't understand on the other hand is why they didn't fit everything into the donut.

It can't utilise any more space because of the housing lot in the SW corner.

JabbaII
Jun 8, 2011, 05:59 AM

Solar is still not as efficient per square feet compared to gas. Need to cut down a lot of the greenery.

KnightWRX
Jun 8, 2011, 06:00 AM
Neither do I see the point in a completely round building, except for it's monumentalism.

I think you see the point just fine. ;)

mdriftmeyer
Jun 8, 2011, 06:00 AM

In the billions, and worth every penny.

I don't really like the buildings. Neither do I see the point in a completely round building, except for it's monumentalism. It I'll be very hard to fit in all the program elements, without having tons of unused spaces.

Also, it's not like there trying to do something special. It's just a gigantic apple store from the outside, with the curved glass, the white concrete and metallic (aluminium/steel) touches.

The only thing I found remarkable, I thought of it when I heard Jobs talking about the moscone as being the biggest they could get, is that they indeed intend to build something with a similar function on campus.

Evenly distributed force of structure throughout the entire complex. Wiring, heating, plumbing, power distribution, cooling all benefit from a Round Solution. Efficiency shoots straight up. No weak points, no climate hot/cold spots, all evenly managed. Then imagine that the Subterranean structure will be bigger.

atlanticza
Jun 8, 2011, 06:03 AM
No free Wi-Fi for Apple folk? That's really mean, Mr Jobs.

Michael Scrip
Jun 8, 2011, 06:06 AM
Please never go into the Data center design and building business. How can someone even make a comment like this... Just a metal warehouse... wow.

Lighten up.

All I was saying is there is a difference between a data center and an architectural masterpiece.

One is utility... and the other is a 150 acre showcase.

http://i.imgur.com/cVIsl.jpg

KnightWRX
Jun 8, 2011, 06:09 AM
Lighten up.

Don't talk about things you don't know about and I will, that's a promise. A Data center is much more architecturally advanced than a "Big Metal Warehouse" and obviously, more so than you can even dream about.

Now, just drop it. You were wrong about the Data center, it's ok, I don't know crap about lumbering. The difference is I don't go make comments about how it's just about "cutting down trees and stuff" all over the net. ;)

Reddmanz
Jun 8, 2011, 06:10 AM
Lloyd! Ari is looking for you.

Hahaha, brilliant. I was thinking that the second he came on screen.

mac=saif
Jun 8, 2011, 06:11 AM
Wow, amazing concept. Things are getting greater by the day for apple!

BornAgainMac
Jun 8, 2011, 06:12 AM
I can't believe how bad the local government is in that city.

SPUY767
Jun 8, 2011, 06:19 AM

All that roof space would be good for the solar panels and all that land would be good for a few windmill generators as well.

Excellent plan! Kill birds, AND be an eyesore.

Michael Scrip
Jun 8, 2011, 06:20 AM
Don't talk about things you don't know about and I will, that's a promise. A Data center is much more architecturally advanced than a "Big Metal Warehouse" and obviously, more so than you can even dream about.

Now, just drop it. You were wrong about the Data center, it's ok, I don't know crap about lumbering. The difference is I don't go make comments about how it's just about "cutting down trees and stuff" all over the net. ;)

Wow.. you did the exact opposite of "lighten up"

Is this your first day on the Internet? Does everyone in these forums know everything?

I will admit that I know nothing about data centers... their construction... or anything else about them.

You happy? You really put me in my place. Gold star to you!

Now you drop it. Oh... I see your finger is moving towards the reply button as we speak. But don't press it.

Really. You proved your point... you don't need to say anything else on the matter.

Oh come on... we're done here!!!

AHHHH!!!

seamuskrat
Jun 8, 2011, 06:22 AM
The council seemed kind of bitchy and rude to me.

RichardBeer
Jun 8, 2011, 06:23 AM
"One of the city councilors asked what the citizens of Cupertino would get from the new campus, and in particular brought up a free Wi-Fi network, like Google offers in Mountain View."

I have a problem with this. What makes them think that the tax payer or any body has a right to expect anything from a private business. Apple own the land ergo it is their property which follows that they have the right to use it as they wish. There is no reason why it should benefit any parties other than Apple at all. The only other party it will and can be argued that it should benefit is the customer who may benefit from the increased productivity.

As by a trickle down effect though, the community may gain new jobs from the new campus.

Hattig
Jun 8, 2011, 06:24 AM
The AppleInsider story has some maps so you can get an idea of the building locations. It looks like Apple has also bought more land to the east of their 2006 and 2010 land acquisitions.

Frosticus
Jun 8, 2011, 06:25 AM
Wow... that council really are a bunch of pros.... :rolleyes:

Plan looks great though, I look forward to seeing this completed.

KnightWRX
Jun 8, 2011, 06:28 AM
I will admit that I know nothing about data centers... their construction... or anything else about them.

Good. Now don't comment about them anymore and all will be well. ;)

BTW, check that blood pressure of yours, it seems this Internet thing isn't good for your heart. "Lighten up" as they say.

blondepianist
Jun 8, 2011, 06:31 AM
The current campus has 3,700 trees and Apple plans to increase that to more than 6,000 trees, including "some apricot orchards."

What, no apple orchards? :D

Dagless
Jun 8, 2011, 06:33 AM
Well they're a better bunch of councillors than my local lot!

Great vid. I didn't plan on watching it all but it was really interesting. Also, completely derpy I know but, having never looked into the Apple Campus or read articles on it, I always assumed it was a college. Where Apple would groom their future employees. Had no idea it was where they worked!

slann303
Jun 8, 2011, 06:35 AM

To be honest, English is as much foreign to North America as Chinese is. Steve should have answered in Ohlone (Native American language spoken in this area).

KnightWRX
Jun 8, 2011, 06:41 AM
To be honest, English is as much foreign to North America as Chinese is. Steve should have answered in Ohlone (Native American language spoken in this area).

The Natives really need to get over the fact that they got conquered without ever having a chance to fight a war over their territory. English and the Europeen colonists are now the natives and the natives are just some ancient relic of a long disappeared civilization.

You don't hear any Romans complain about how the right of the native Romans need to be respected above that of their Goth settlers right ?:rolleyes:

Native americans shouldn't be segregated into reserves and given tax free status. They should simply be integrated into modern society and participate in the building of the new nation that established itself in its territories.

Calidude
Jun 8, 2011, 06:41 AM
That was just a government parasite being her parasitical self.

youknome
Jun 8, 2011, 06:46 AM
Was it just me that cringed when those council folk started asking literally stupid questions? How unprofessional were they, especially that guy that pulled his iPad out bleh :confused:

Littleodie914
Jun 8, 2011, 06:47 AM
I'm pretty sure Councilwoman Kris Wang made a joke around 13:45 to Steve about using sales tax to provide free iPlaques.

I can only imagine the rage behind Steve's beady little eyes. :eek: His response certainly seemed to imply his disappointment.

manu chao
Jun 8, 2011, 06:49 AM
280 will be a bigger parking lot than it is now !!
Hey Steve ask VTA to build a light rail connection from Wolfe Rd to Cal Train to ease the TRAFFIC !!!
The increase will be by about 20%, as there already people working on the same land space and Steve said the number of people working on that plot will increase by about 20%.

corrado7
Jun 8, 2011, 06:51 AM
The councilman asking about safety and pollution sounded like a complete toolbag

slann303
Jun 8, 2011, 06:53 AM
The Natives really need to get over the fact that they got conquered without ever having a chance to fight a war over their territory. English and the Europeen colonists are now the natives and the natives are just some ancient relic of a long disappeared civilization.

You don't hear any Romans complain about how the right of the native Romans need to be respected above that of their Goth settlers right ?:rolleyes:

I was just ironic, you know. I think the English of the Council members was not that bad as stated by the European guy. Sure, you could hear a Chinese accent, but the grammar was ok!

Also, what could you expect from a council meeting dealing with such a huge project in 20 minutes? Sure, the "what is in for the city" question was stupid, but so was the answer of Jobs regarding the question of security and safety.

Hattig
Jun 8, 2011, 06:53 AM
That was just a government parasite being her parasitical self.

Or trying to get something extra for the residents she represents.

It's just that when a company wants to turn an ugly urban car park and cubey offices into a large park with a stylish building, you don't have much to bargain with, unlike the company building on virgin land that needs to bribe the local government and residents.

The councilman asking about safety and pollution sounded like a complete toolbag

That sounds like a reasonable question to me, given that there will be a gas powered generator on site.

manu chao
Jun 8, 2011, 06:55 AM

It is also partly a question of 'pay grade'. You cannot expect the councillors of a small town to be on the same level as the CEO of one the biggest companies of the world. Let Steve talk with a cabinet secretary (government minister) and things are a bit more on the same level.

Michael Scrip
Jun 8, 2011, 06:58 AM
Now don't comment about them anymore and all will be well. ;)

Here's an idea... how about not telling people what to do over the Internet? :eek:

Or a better idea... why not comment on what started this in the first place?

The topic was how much the new Apple campus would cost. You ignored that and instead told me that I shouldn't be in the construction business (which I assure you... I will not)

There have been 200 comment made on this article... and you're the only person to pick up on my "metal building" comment.

Thanks for the attention... but really.

So... getting back on topic... how much do you think this new Apple campus will cost?

(I will only accept replies pertaining to that question)

iggypod
Jun 8, 2011, 07:01 AM
When I first saw this article heading in my Reeder feeds this morning, I assumed it was a Scoopertino story.

Now that's some arch-itecture.

Newfiebill
Jun 8, 2011, 07:02 AM
Because the Apricot Trees are already there on Site. Some of this land was an Apricot Orchard.

fattire357
Jun 8, 2011, 07:02 AM

The council people are just doing their job. The question "what will this give back to the community" is so commonly asked it could almost be considered favoritism or corrupt if it wasn't asked.

Technically however, you only have to worry about giving back to the community if you are filing as a non-profit for tax purposes, so I thought Steve's reply about not paying taxes was appropriate and pretty funny.

Shivetya
Jun 8, 2011, 07:03 AM
Reminds me of the Umbrella Corporation.
Especially with the underground subway if it is built.

and not in a good way either

KnightWRX
Jun 8, 2011, 07:06 AM
Also, what could you expect from a council meeting dealing with such a huge project in 20 minutes? Sure, the "what is in for the city" question was stupid, but so was the answer of Jobs regarding the question of security and safety.

I thought the "What's in it for the city" question was pretty decent. Seriously, is Steve just wanting to build a Ivory tower for himself or is he building something that will help the city, surrounding area, state and even the country grow and prosper ?

What is in it for Cupertino long term and what makes this project more valuable than the other 3 dozen commercial projects that they were pitched by other players over the last XX weeks ?

I thought the "we pay taxes, that's enough" bit was quite arrogant. A better answer would've been "this extra building capacity will enable us to hire more of your citizens to our corporate positions, which means decent wages and job creation for the city. Sure, we could do free wifi, but we'd rather keep a few more of the citizens of this region employed."

We're currently having a province wide debate over a frickin Arena in Quebec right now. Of course, people have asked "What the hell is in it for us ?" and you know what, the biggest promoter behind it didn't freaking answer "We'll pay taxes". He's trying to bring in an extra NHL team which will create visibility for the city, jobs for managing the organisation, boost the local economy in that part of the city and help other surrounding businesses grow. Sure there's no "free wifi" in there, but that is much more than just "hey, we pay taxes, that should be enough for you if I just want to build a big statue of myself".

jc1350
Jun 8, 2011, 07:07 AM
In all honesty, wifi should be free. Anywhere.

Exactly. There are no costs for the hardware and network connections behind that wifi, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

It's California. If Apple did provide free wifi, it would probably be sued by some "wifi = health problems" fanatics.

fattire357
Jun 8, 2011, 07:09 AM
Because the Apricot Trees are already there on Site. Some of this land was an Apricot Orchard.

If you went to this area back in the 1950's much of this land was farming land, and the fruit it was most known for was Apricots. It's a little bit local community pride.

Planting Apricots is a good way of saying, we're part of this community.

manu chao
Jun 8, 2011, 07:11 AM
I always thought you would have to be able to speak English in the US to work for a government body and also have a high level of qualification. (...) We are probably a bit old fashioned in this sense in Europe.
To be a counselor, you just have to be elected, no qualifications needed. Like in any representative democracy, you are there to represent the people.

And regarding the integration of citizens (or just plain residents) of foreign background into the formal areas of society, which includes politics, Europe is a bit old fashioned, a bit too old fashioned. If a significant portion of society is not represented in politics (and other leading functions of the civil society), that is not good for society.

Jcoz
Jun 8, 2011, 07:15 AM

While you are certainly correct on that point, it wasn't actually HIS point, message boards are so ridiculous with these types of things. What he was saying was concerning the difference between building a data center and building an office building with these types of architectural features, built to house 13,000 workers.

Having built a data center and office and residential buildings I can tell that in that respect he was correct, that the challenges in building a data center hold no where near the scope of work or cost.

Which was the effing point, which apparently went completely over your head when you went off on an inconsequential detail....

Forrest, trees, whatnot. Chill the **** out.

How typical of an American to forget the words of one of its great leaders. :rolleyes:

John F. Kennedy is rolling in his grave hearing you propose the country should do something for a citizen instead of the opposite.

Right because this is exactly what Kennedy was envisioning when he said that. Free wifi and more taxes in return for permission to replace buildings on ones own property.

Got it chief.

KnightWRX
Jun 8, 2011, 07:15 AM
If you went to this area back in the 1950's much of this land was farming land, and the fruit it was most known for was Apricots. It's a little bit local community pride.

Planting Apricots is a good way of saying, we're part of this community.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with Apricot seeds being used as an alternative treatment for cancer. There's no symbolism in that and it's just a big coincidence. ;)

fattire357
Jun 8, 2011, 07:18 AM
I'm sure it has nothing to do with Apricot seeds being used as an alternative treatment for cancer. There's no symbolism in that and it's just a big coincidence. ;)

Are you being serious? I know sarcasm is hard to convey over the internet, so I'll take you seriously and assume you aren't being sarcastic:

What?

Jcoz
Jun 8, 2011, 07:22 AM
I thought the "What's in it for the city" question was pretty decent. Seriously, is Steve just wanting to build a Ivory tower for himself or is he building something that will help the city, surrounding area, state and even the country grow and prosper ?

What is in it for Cupertino long term and what makes this project more valuable than the other 3 dozen commercial projects that they were pitched by other players over the last XX weeks ?

I thought the "we pay taxes, that's enough" bit was quite arrogant. A better answer would've been "this extra building capacity will enable us to hire more of your citizens to our corporate positions, which means decent wages and job creation for the city. Sure, we could do free wifi, but we'd rather keep a few more of the citizens of this region employed."

We're currently having a province wide debate over a frickin Arena in Quebec right now. Of course, people have asked "What the hell is in it for us ?" and you know what, the biggest promoter behind it didn't freaking answer "We'll pay taxes". He's trying to bring in an extra NHL team which will create visibility for the city, jobs for managing the organisation, boost the local economy in that part of the city and help other surrounding businesses grow. Sure there's no "free wifi" in there, but that is much more than just "hey, we pay taxes, that should be enough for you if I just want to build a big statue of myself".

What other "players" are you talking about. That's not city property, it's Apples. And they are replacing buildings and parking lots with landscape for a large part of that, how much permission should they even need for this type of project, and why?

ggg05a
Jun 8, 2011, 07:24 AM

Are you daft? Why would someone who is trying to be eco friendly use solar panels?

A) Making them is very toxic
B) Disposing of them is very toxic, and absent us ejecting them into space each panel will be a stain on the planet for centuries to come.

Jcoz
Jun 8, 2011, 07:25 AM

Yes, god knows the only way to obtain enough apricot seeds to save steves life is to beg a city council to let him build a billion-dollar facility and plant an orchard of apricot trees himself......

In four ******ng years.

See that's the beauty of this plan, its simplicity.

His troubles are over, dude.

rufwork
Jun 8, 2011, 07:25 AM
Wow, this all feels much too bucket-listy. He did not look well.

Yujenisis
Jun 8, 2011, 07:26 AM
One of the city councilors asked what the citizens of Cupertino would get from the new campus, and in particular brought up a free Wi-Fi network, like Google offers in Mountain View. Steve responded that Apple was the largest taxpayer in Cupertino and he felt that the tax benefits to having a company like Apple in Cupertino was benefit enough and the city should be providing a service like that.

"If we can get out of paying taxes, we would be glad to provide free Wi-Fi."

Anyone else surprised Steve's quote didn't go something like this: "If we can get out of paying taxes, like Google, we would be glad to provide free Wi-Fi."

Google is quite famous for their creative accounting to avoid paying literally billions in taxes owed to the U.S Government. Sadly, Google isn't alone in cheating the taxpayer. But good on Jobs to have the class to not call Google out directly.

References:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_44/b4201043146825.htm
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-21/google-2-4-rate-shows-how-60-billion-u-s-revenue-lost-to-tax-loopholes.html

tigres
Jun 8, 2011, 07:27 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

How do you ask that man for anything from a city council standpoint. They are just so happy to keep the roots there.
talk about solidifying a tax base for the next few decades. Most cities would just roll over for this opportunity, probably giving it away tax free.

Shows Steve is loyal, and remembers his roots. No surprise.

goosnarrggh
Jun 8, 2011, 07:35 AM
Seems weird for a company with 12,000 employees to build a new HQ that holds 13,000. Surely they'd have outgrown the new HQ before it's even completed.

The plan is not to open up this new facility and then shut down everything else. Rather, the plan is to use this facility as the new flagship office location, but still retain their other assets such as Infinite Loop.

So, if they currently have office space for 12,000 employees, and this new facility will be able to hold 13,000 employees, then they'll effectively be more than doubling their overall capacity to be able to accommodate up to 25,000 employees going forward.

Jcoz
Jun 8, 2011, 07:36 AM
I was just ironic, you know. I think the English of the Council members was not that bad as stated by the European guy. Sure, you could hear a Chinese accent, but the grammar was ok!

Actually it wasn't. There are already laws governing how to safely build buildings, you have to pass inspections, adhere to regulations.....

There are already check and balances in place for that. It was a ridiculous question.

It would be like Ford asking to build a type of car and council members asking, "will it have airbags and pass this country's typical emissions standards?"

wovel
Jun 8, 2011, 07:41 AM

Why would you punish investors by intentionally devaluing a growth stock? It appears you really do not understand how dividends work :)

lazyrighteye
Jun 8, 2011, 07:41 AM

One ring to rule them all.

Sackvillenb
Jun 8, 2011, 07:56 AM
Wowzers...

Although this is a little... extravagant... it's pretty damn cool! And it comes with it's own power plant and apricot orchards!!! I imagine it would be pretty awesome to work there...

Don't panic
Jun 8, 2011, 07:59 AM
That building is awesome.

And am I the only one who is tired of all the cities and their constant "what's in it for us" whining?

You get a crapton of tax revenue and local jobs.

not to mention that the high-end jobs for educated people translate instantly into better school and better neighborhood, with the associated increase in property value.

Evangelion
Well Apple really have the Cupertino council by the nuts.

What is astonishing is that Jobs actually held them to ransom right there in their own council meeting.
Pretty much saying: If you don't like it we'll go elsewhere and take our tax dollars with us.
Apple would have been given the green light to do whatever they want to.

I'd speculate this bunch of whimps gave whoever had a presentation after Steve Jobs a hard time. They would have had to assert their authority again after such an a**-licking, grovelling session.

Anyway, nice enough building.

2013?

Sure, the council-members were fawning all over Jobs. And why not, Apple has been godsend to Cupertino.

And, so what? Can you think of any reason to deny their request? That is the agree to it, it means that Apple has them by the balls? It looks to me that this campus would be a landmark in modern engineering and architecture, so why exactly should the council deny them from building it? Because they like the existing buildings and parking-lots so much?

And what Jobs said was true: if they can't find a way to have their campus in Cupertino, they will move elsewhere where they can. That's only logical. They prefedr to stay in Cupertino, but if they can't fit their business in there, they will move elsewhere. Why exactly is it wrong to state that fact aloud?

blindzero
(cue the bong from Daft Punk soundtrack) Tron!

Sora
Jun 8, 2011, 08:02 AM
So... getting back on topic... how much do you think this new Apple campus will cost?

(I will only accept replies pertaining to that question)

Michael - I think an estimate has been posted previously. In case you missed it, its anywhere between $770M - 1.5B based on 3.1 million square feet, with a cost of $250/square.

As a suggestion, not a command, I would let the conversation go with KnightWRX. He/she woke up on the wrong side of their french canadian mattress. From my experience (and this is not a generalization, but simply a recap of my experiences), my interactions with french canadians is that they love to argue for no apparent reason. I don't know if it's because they are the red headed stepchild of canada (their two failed referendum attempts), or they speak quebecois (slang) vs Parisian French and they find this insulting somehow. I have yet to arrive at any definitive conclusion that accurately encapsulates their argumentative nature.

None-the-less, take his/her drivel for less than it's actually worth and carry on with your day.

I hope I answered your question instead of berating you.

mdriftmeyer
Jun 8, 2011, 08:05 AM
FYI to everyone who couldn't grasp Steve's comments on the 12K:

Infinite Loop holds around 2600 employees. The entire Cupertino employee total is just over 12,000 currently. That's over dozens of locations that they will consolidate into the new flag ship campus.

Infinite Loop will be the second campus and the other buildings leases will be cancelled. Other buildings they own will either be sold off or consolidated for other projects outside of Infinite Loop and the new flag ship campus.

This isn't difficult to grasp.

With 12k moving to the flag ship, Infinite Loop gives them room for future growth, if they decide to build for 12k or 13k that he mentioned for the flag ship campus.

In short, they would have the capacity total of either 14,600 - 15,600 with both big campuses.

MoreAwesomeDanU
Jun 8, 2011, 08:12 AM
now THAT is somewhere i would like work at

iKitten
Jun 8, 2011, 08:12 AM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/newapplecampus.jpg

Yes. Steve definitely did acid in the '70s.

toddybody
Jun 8, 2011, 08:13 AM
If we can get out of paying taxes we'll provide free wifi? Wtf?

Sora
Jun 8, 2011, 08:15 AM

Your right. It's an architectural nightmare, but it's also an interior designers dream.

It takes challenges like this, to conventional construction that yields progress for the future. I think we will be pleasantly surprised how well this will turn out when it's complete.

Jun 8, 2011, 08:16 AM

we probably should expect similar design plans based on this plan for new office buildings in Redmond and Mountain View in a couple of month.

Sora
Jun 8, 2011, 08:16 AM
Did anyone notice, that a second structure of equal size could be placed at the lower end of their property?

Apple knows what they are doing.

Thunderhawks
Jun 8, 2011, 08:17 AM

Solar and ground source heating and A/C costs next to nothing once established.

Thunderhawks
Jun 8, 2011, 08:18 AM

It was politely showing the council that that free Wi-fi was a dumb request.
They didn't get the joke.

rtdunham
Jun 8, 2011, 08:25 AM

Deleted by poster

macford
Jun 8, 2011, 08:26 AM
Someone warn Cortana that they've almost completed the ring.

ShiftyPig
Jun 8, 2011, 08:43 AM
Boy that would be annoying if you had to see someone on the other side of the building. Guess they want you to just FaceTime.

Apple Corps
Jun 8, 2011, 08:47 AM
Jesus Christ, are all city council people this stupid?? They can't even speak proper English. I would think Cupertino would have some-what intelligent people on their council. Imagine what it must be like in BFE, Mississippi!

Not as bad as a household populated with the likes of you.

rtdunham
Jun 8, 2011, 08:50 AM

Lighten up.

Your tone isn't likely to persuade. I sense you're a skilled architect or designer offended by the comments of the less-informed. But I remember an old adage for public speakers: don't tell us how smart you are; tell us what you know and let US draw that conclusion.

ctdonath
Jun 8, 2011, 08:51 AM

The WTF was the petty politician looking the gift horse in the mouth.
Considering the massive tax revenues the city gets from Apple for being there, the council should be grateful - not asking for paltry driblets of more such as "free WiFi". If someone writes you a check for a million dollars, you asking for the pen as a condition of acceptance is bad form.

If Cupertino wants "free WiFi", Apple is paying more than enough in taxes to cover the city implementing that itself.

Remember, this is a company which doesn't even give its shareholders dividends. Attempting to negotiate paltry luxurious non-sequiturs is a fast way to tick off Steve Jobs. His retort to wit "we'd be happy to provide free WiFi if you'll not demand huge tax payments" is a very polite & humorous way to say "WTF?".

the8thark
Jun 8, 2011, 08:55 AM
Good. Now don't comment about them anymore and all will be well. ;)
Gotta love that "freedom of speech". He and you can comment on whatever they like. If you don't like it, move to a dictatorship and there if you speak up you get shot. I'm glad most countries have embraced the freedom of speech idea.

Arcadie
Jun 8, 2011, 08:59 AM
Making electricity from natural gas eh? sound like bloomenergy might be getting a large order soon.

testcard
Jun 8, 2011, 09:01 AM
That iTorus is going to create one heck of a reality distortion field.

Frobozz
Jun 8, 2011, 09:01 AM
This looks amazing. I really like the goals. it's Apple's design aesthetic applied to a building:

Get the parking lot out of sight and put it underground. Added bonus is that cars don't bake in the sun all day.
It's circular, which is very new age / zen-- everything is equal and without harsh edges.
It's made out of curved glass.
It increases the value of public spaces by upping the ratio.

My father is a Landscape Architect and lover of all things Apple. I have to send this link to him...

tkermit
Jun 8, 2011, 09:04 AM
And I've heard the courtyard can even be protected from the elements by a sliding roof. ;)

http://f.cl.ly/items/0d320Z2h3L1m3S150x1E/bb.jpg

Xtremehkr
Jun 8, 2011, 09:06 AM
That was a disappointing performance by the Cupertino city council, who seem to be made of up a number of people who don't know what's going on.

The former HP employee was the only person with something half intelligent to say about the matter.

It's rare that a company like Apple will actually stay in a small city like that, I imagine it would have been a lot more professional had it been NYC or San Francisco.