PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases iTunes 10.3.1, Potentially Fixing iOS Device Syncing Bug

MacRumors
Jun 8, 2011, 01:55 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/apple-releases-itunes-10-3-1-potentially-fixing-ios-device-syncing-bug/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/itunes_10_3_1.jpg

Just a day after releasing iTunes 10.3 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/itunes-10-3-now-available-for-download/) to support some early iCloud features such as automatic downloads and access to previously purchased content, Apple has already pushed out iTunes 10.3.1 via Software Update and the company's software downloads page.

The documentation accompanying the release merely offers the same information as found with the original iTunes 10.3 release, providing no word on exactly what is addressed in what is presumably a minor bug fix update.

A number of users in Apple's support forums and elsewhere have reported issues (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3103425) with syncing iOS devices under iTunes 10.3, with iTunes reporting an "unknown error (-50)" when attempting to sync. Consequently, it seems reasonable to speculate that the iTunes 10.3.1 update addresses this issue, although we have yet to receive confirmation from users.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 10.3.1, Potentially Fixing iOS Device Syncing Bug (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/apple-releases-itunes-10-3-1-potentially-fixing-ios-device-syncing-bug/)

SFStateStudent
Jun 8, 2011, 01:59 AM
Gawwwwwwww! I just updated to 10.3....:eek:

osx11
Jun 8, 2011, 02:01 AM
not again.....

MyMaria
Jun 8, 2011, 02:01 AM
What the... :eek: I just updated like 5 minutes ago! :apple:

Schranke
Jun 8, 2011, 02:05 AM
so far i can see this update is around 20-25mb bigger then the last 1?
just me or maybe they did a little bit more then a bug fix?

iRobby
Jun 8, 2011, 02:09 AM
it's not showing up on my Dell yet. Also checked the iTunes page on Apple.com when you click on download there is not a download listed.

JackieTreehorn
Jun 8, 2011, 02:12 AM
Well, I like the 10.5 beta so I am sticking with that.

But unfortunately, iWow-plugin does not work in 10.5: never knew what a difference iWow made for my hearing experience now that it is gone.

SoGood
Jun 8, 2011, 02:14 AM
No update to 10.3.1 on my Mac, yet.

maestrokev
Jun 8, 2011, 02:16 AM
Update just showed up on my Mac.

Eduardo1971
Jun 8, 2011, 02:24 AM
Wow, like many I just updated iTunes a few minutes ago and now this...

caspersoong
Jun 8, 2011, 02:26 AM
I wish Apple would give more information.

Žalgiris
Jun 8, 2011, 02:28 AM

But unfortunately, iWow-plugin does not work in 10.5: never knew what a difference iWow made for my hearing experience now that it is gone.

DPS doesn't work too and i can't see what's changed. There is a good chance it has something to do with iTunes 10.5 being 64 bit cocoa on Lion.

iRobby
Jun 8, 2011, 02:32 AM
Ia this only for Mac computers? my Dell not getting thye update or on the website? says 10.3 is the current version no updates available

ten-oak-druid
Jun 8, 2011, 02:39 AM
Well I checked for updates from within itunes and found none. But ran software update right after and it came up.

As with 10.3, 10.3.1 does not ask to enter administrator password to install.

I have a macbook running SL.

yetanotherdave
Jun 8, 2011, 02:42 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

DPS doesn't work too and i can't see what's changed. There is a good chance it has something to do with iTunes 10.5 being 64 bit cocoa on Lion.

Except its not 64 bit or cocoa.

Edit. Just saw you said on lion? Really? I'm surprised there's a difference between lion and snow leopard!

Žalgiris
Jun 8, 2011, 02:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Except its not 64 bit or cocoa.

Except it shows as 64 bit in Activity Monitor and has all corner resize, fullscreen mode and other things Cocoa apps have. There is no 64 bit Carbon, so the only option left is Cocoa.

Looks like it's a very fat universal binary. it not only has Intel/PPC, but also Intel part is 32/64 bit. 32 bit for Leopard and Snow Leopard and 64 bit for Lion. That's at least what i think is going on here.

Cinch
Jun 8, 2011, 02:50 AM
I just love the way Google handle updating its Chrome browser. I just updated Chrome. It was effortless and took less than a few seconds to reload all my tabs. iTunes on the other hand took a couple of minutes, and to be fair it was no bother. But it just seems like an archaic way to update software today. For the first time I'm sensing that Apple is becoming more like the Microsoft of old and Google is small and nimbly creative like Apple was in 1998.

Cinch

Žalgiris
Jun 8, 2011, 02:56 AM
I just love the way Google handle updating its Chrome browser. I just updated Chrome. It was effortless and took less than a few seconds to reload all my tabs. iTunes on the other hand took a couple of minutes, and to be fair it was no bother. But it just seems like an archaic way to update software today. For the first time I'm sensing that Apple is becoming more like the Microsoft of old and Google is small and nimbly creative like Apple was in 1998.

Cinch

You know you can setup Mac OS X software update to check at specific times and when there are updates to download them in the background? They will be installed the next time you shut down or reboot your Mac. How is this not effortless?

If you give a damn about what is going on on your Mac you will remove Chrome and use Chromium which is using Sparkle to update. Chrome literally litters all over the Mac OS X and calls back all the time to the Hive for God knows what.

Google software update is the biggest malware i have seen.

dawnrazor
Jun 8, 2011, 03:16 AM
I did the 10.3.1 update - but in the "purchased" area of iTunes Store all I got was Apps and Books, no music. Tried to re-buy something on my iPhone and it recognised I had already bought it elsewhere, but it was going to charge me again if I went through with the transaction.

So I guess the iCloud beta for music is for US only at the moment.

Anyone else reflect this at all?

paulsalter
Jun 8, 2011, 03:18 AM
I did the 10.3.1 update - but in the "purchased" area of iTunes Store all I got was Apps and Books, no music. Tried to re-buy something on my iPhone and it recognised I had already bought it elsewhere, but it was going to charge me again if I went through with the transaction.

So I guess the iCloud beta for music is for US only at the moment.

Anyone else reflect this at all?

I believe it is US only, no music in UK either

jkool
Jun 8, 2011, 03:19 AM
The Evolution of iTunes 10.3.1

Steve:

"Can anyone tell me what iTunes 10.3 is supposed to do?”

Having received a satisfactory answer, he continues,

“So why the ******* doesn’t it do that?"

silentnite
Jun 8, 2011, 03:22 AM
This is 1 update with many to follow... this will go on for the rest of the month as apple works out the bugs. Thinking I will hold off till then.

dawnrazor
Jun 8, 2011, 03:23 AM
I believe it is US only, no music in UK either

yep - just checked the small print..... US only, was really looking forward to downloading some music I lost along the road....

Morod
Jun 8, 2011, 03:30 AM
As with 10.3, 10.3.1 does not ask to enter administrator password to install.

I have a macbook running SL.

Both 10.3 and 10.3.1 asked for my admin name and p/w.
But then I run in a Standard account.

paulsalter
Jun 8, 2011, 03:43 AM
Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this one in, but it only related to the new itunes syncing

How is this classed as cloud syncing

I buy an app, book or music on my mac
this is then automatically downloaded onto other devices from the app store

I dont see this as doing anything new in the cloud, its just automatically doing (and allowing re download) of things previously purchased

not a dig at it, it just doesnt seem to be storing anything in the cloud

SFVCyclone
Jun 8, 2011, 03:48 AM
Not sure if it is the -50 fix. I got that error at first but then it synced up today unless my itunes updated by it self? Good thing I didnt reinstall ios into my iphone. Just kept cool and knew it would get it self fixed.

SeaFox
Jun 8, 2011, 03:58 AM
I'm almost happy I don't have any devices that can make use of iCloud currently. I think I'll let everyone else bug-test it for me and I'll transition my iToo- I mean, .Ma-- Grrr! MobileMe account over next calendar year when it's all working smoothly. I'll get a new iPod touch, or maybe even an iPhone on Verizon if the AT&T-TMobile merger actually goes through.

Stiksi
Jun 8, 2011, 04:03 AM
10.3 update lost my whole music library except for one song. Takes ages to re-import everything and all the individual song ratings, play counts and the like are lost. I don't know if it's because my library wasn't in the default location – that would be very a very Appley mistake to make. Apple is very big on assuming everyone does things in the default way, even if they offer an alternative themselves.

Hopefully this is fixed in 10.3.1 but I wouldn't hold my breath.

And fix the d**n iTunes crash if it tries to access an airplay connection that's already in use. That's just stupid – it's been there since airtunes debuted.

kdavis
Jun 8, 2011, 04:24 AM
Happy to say that, after my iPad quit syncing yesterday with the "-50" error, everything's working slick as can be following the update to 10.3.1!

markcres
Jun 8, 2011, 05:00 AM
What the... :eek: I just updated like 5 minutes ago! :apple:

Now you know what it feels like to own a Windows PC !

Jsameds
Jun 8, 2011, 05:20 AM
I wish Apple would properly streamline iTunes on PC so that it was smaller and ran faster. It would certainly shut a lot of of the moaners up.

Scarrus
Jun 8, 2011, 05:34 AM
Now you know what it feels like to own a Windows PC !

That's what I call a PUR3 PWN4G3...

permol
Jun 8, 2011, 05:49 AM
I wish Apple would give more information.
Only professional software developpers makes release notes available..

mrelwood
Jun 8, 2011, 05:54 AM
never knew what a difference iWow made for my hearing experience now that it is gone.

Had to try myself. Difference, sure... It trashes the frequency balance, definition, dynamics, instrument levels and stereo imaging of any record. Wouldn't it be smarter to invest on better speakers than to buy software that might help the crappy speakers a bit by distorting the reality?

xlii
Jun 8, 2011, 06:18 AM
Yesterday when I upgraded to 10.3 the download was 29 MB. Today when I downloaded 10.3.1 the download was 75 MB. That's a lot of beef.

Hallivand
Jun 8, 2011, 06:20 AM
Looks like it's a very fat universal binary. it not only has Intel/PPC, but also Intel part is 32/64 bit. 32 bit for Leopard and Snow Leopard and 64 bit for Lion. That's at least what i think is going on here.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it incredible that Apple is still supporting the last vestiges of PowerPC Macs running Leopard.

Now just hoping that Apple is still releasing 10.5 or whatever version have you as a Universal Binary that would support WiFi syncing with my original iPad :D.

Heres to another few years with the Power Mac G5 :p

dukeblue91
Jun 8, 2011, 06:27 AM
I keep with my iTunes 10.5 as it is pretty stable and is working fine.

Dagless
Jun 8, 2011, 06:35 AM
Yesterdays update weighed in at something ridiculously small for me, 25mb maybe. 75mb today but oh well, that's just another 25 seconds downloading!

doctor-don
Jun 8, 2011, 06:35 AM
Gawwwwwwww! I just updated to 10.3....:eek:

Thank you for testing.:rolleyes:

nostromo77
Jun 8, 2011, 06:41 AM
The biggest issue I have with iTunes, is that for a long time now, it's become a mammoth of an application, it takes eons to sync my devices and everything loads too sluggishly not to mention the random quirks it has throughout the UI.

Beyond this though, it is my opinion that a massive update on the way you handle your applications on your iPad or iPhone etc. is in serious need of an update and fast.

Often when I press an app that I want to delete in iTunes while connected to my iPhone or iPad, it remove it and then for some reason, it still remains and I can't move it or remove it, pressing another app to be deleted either copies the application before in look keeping it's icon or it's also inactive but still on the screen.

The entire process of managing your apps on your devices via iTunes is a drag, it is not helping that when you delete it from your device it is still in the iTunes Library and therefore next time you sync it makes a mess in your apps again on your device.

There should be an option called, system wide deletion or just on the device, keeping it on the preferred one.

You see, many times when I have something on my iPad, for reasons I still can't figure out, bleeds into my iPhone app library even though I clearly haven't asked iTunes to share it on both devices since it's only meant for the small screen I like to keep it away from the iPad.

These are my biggest issues with iTunes. Maybe a much simpler and faster app that handles ONLY this making it lighter and more responsive.

I'm on the last Gen MacBook Pro... Why such things can't be handled well is beyond me. It seems iTunes has become too big of an app....

nostromo77
Jun 8, 2011, 06:43 AM
By the way I can't download the WWDC 2011 keynote from iTunes, it just loads but doesn't initiate the actual download... anyone else suffering from this?

And is it just me or does Steve Jobs look worse than ever? He even limps now... :(

franswa za
Jun 8, 2011, 06:45 AM
The Evolution of iTunes 10.3.1

Steve:

"Can anyone tell me what iTunes 10.3 is supposed to do?”

Having received a satisfactory answer, he continues,

“So why the ******* doesn’t it do that?"

you are funny
:D

Ben Dixon
Jun 8, 2011, 06:59 AM
So, how do I enable the wireless sync function? Is it only possible with the beta version of iOS 5 at the moment?

paulsalter
Jun 8, 2011, 07:02 AM
So, how do I enable the wireless sync function? Is it only possible with the beta version of iOS 5 at the moment?

works on ios4

enable the download options under under 'Store' preferences in itunes and your ios device

then when you download on one, the other device should download again from the store automaticaly

ArnieX
Jun 8, 2011, 07:09 AM
Hi guys,

http://galerie.arniex.cz/error.tiff

this is what has happened to me after iTunes update, that text is not in middle vertically as it should be. And when any app try to make any change that screen to admin log in which appears has cubes instead of letters in it and even in Mac AppStore there where EUR symbol usually takes it place are cubes now. I don’t know what to do now, if wait for Lion or just any Apple Update to fix it, or try to reinstall Snow Leopard. But I don’t like it. Btw I haven’t had any problems with sync or iCloud except that iTunes Store for music are not available in my country. But apps in cloud works great.

koen
Jun 8, 2011, 07:25 AM
Ia this only for Mac computers? my Dell not getting thye update or on the website? says 10.3 is the current version no updates available

Of course, this is the MacRumors website.

Ben Dixon
Jun 8, 2011, 07:30 AM
works on ios4

enable the download options under under 'Store' preferences in itunes and your ios device

then when you download on one, the other device should download again from the store automaticaly

Thanks Paul. I'll give it a shot as soon as I get my iPhone back from being repaired

paulsalter
Jun 8, 2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks Paul. I'll give it a shot as soon as I get my iPhone back from being repaired

you're welcome

Popeye206
Jun 8, 2011, 07:41 AM
Yesterday when I upgraded to 10.3 the download was 29 MB. Today when I downloaded 10.3.1 the download was 75 MB. That's a lot of beef.

Ooopsie! :p

devilbond
Jun 8, 2011, 07:42 AM
Go Sea Shepherd. Death to japanese whaling fleet. Die most miserable and painful death possible.

:eek:

Trinity
Jun 8, 2011, 07:44 AM
hope the update will solve the problem with my calendars tripled in iTunes and iPhone when there's just a single copy in iCal.

DocNYz
Jun 8, 2011, 07:51 AM
I got the -50 twice, switched cables and haven't gotten it since ... Did that happen to anyone else? (all within 10.3)

Essefgy
Jun 8, 2011, 08:11 AM
By the way I can't download the WWDC 2011 keynote from iTunes, it just loads but doesn't initiate the actual download... anyone else suffering from this?

And is it just me or does Steve Jobs look worse than ever? He even limps now... :(

It actually is downloading. Just leave it going and the keynote will eventually appear. (I can't say how long it will take since I left it going overnight.)

Amazing Iceman
Jun 8, 2011, 08:19 AM
I got the -50 twice, switched cables and haven't gotten it since ... Did that happen to anyone else? (all within 10.3)

I happened to me last night, when it seemed to get stuck at almost the end of a backup.
I had to close all apps and Power Off my iPad, which was taking way too long, so I had to force it to Power Off.
I also moved to USB cable from the Hub in my monitor to a port on the MBP (just as a precaution)

Then, I did a full backup and finally Sync started to work. Made several sync changes and started to work every time.

I would dare to say that this problem may have been caused by not having enough available RAM on the iPad, and my suggestion would be to close all apps, power cycle the iPad and then do the Sync with iTunes, in order to avoid issues like this.

roadbloc
Jun 8, 2011, 08:21 AM
Haha... I haven't even bothered getting 10.3 yet.

Herdfan
Jun 8, 2011, 08:24 AM
Hmmm....

Still running 10.2.2 and iTunes update says it is the latest version, but....

Last night I had to burn a song to disc for my daughter to take to school and when I opened iTunes, it asked if I wanted to update to 10.3. Since I needed to get the disc done, I said "No".

But this morning, it is saying 10.2.2 is the current version.

Did 10.3.1 get pulled?

Amazing Iceman
Jun 8, 2011, 08:24 AM
hope the update will solve the problem with my calendars tripled in iTunes and iPhone when there's just a single copy in iCal.

You must be synching over the air, over iTunes and in some other way at the same time.

In iTunes, the Sync settings for Calendar should warn you when your configuration could cause duplicate entries to appear.

Another way to test this would be to open iCal in your iPhone, selecting Calendars, and making sure only one Calendar shows at a time instead of All Calendars.

jonnysods
Jun 8, 2011, 08:31 AM
At least they are on the ball!

thebigo
Jun 8, 2011, 08:35 AM
I have only ever gotten this error when it attempts to sync my photos to my external HD which sometimes goes read-only

Seems more like a Finder bug than an iTunes bug, the -50 is just it crying that it doesn't have +w to the folder it needs... at least I won't see an error but healing the symptom is not a "bug fix"

cmaier
Jun 8, 2011, 08:54 AM
Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this one in, but it only related to the new itunes syncing

How is this classed as cloud syncing

I buy an app, book or music on my mac
this is then automatically downloaded onto other devices from the app store

I dont see this as doing anything new in the cloud, its just automatically doing (and allowing re download) of things previously purchased

not a dig at it, it just doesnt seem to be storing anything in the cloud

The Cloud is the golden repository. Your devices mirror its contents instead of mirroring your Mac.

For example, in my case every time I bought a song on my phone or my wide did on her phone, I had to sync to her Mac or my Mac, go find the files in finder, then manually copy to a central location which was subject to daily backups and used to feed our apple tv. This was the only way to make sure either of us could listen to any song either of us bought, and could listen from either phone, either of our iPads, either of our macs, or from our apple tv. One computer in our house was the golden repository. Now the cloud takes care of it - just buy a song from wherever and it automatically downloads everywhere else. iTunes Match will do the same for ripped CDs or mp3s purchased elsewhere.

paulsalter
Jun 8, 2011, 09:01 AM
The Cloud is the golden repository. Your devices mirror its contents instead of mirroring your Mac.

For example, in my case every time I bought a song on my phone or my wide did on her phone, I had to sync to her Mac or my Mac, go find the files in finder, then manually copy to a central location which was subject to daily backups and used to feed our apple tv. This was the only way to make sure either of us could listen to any song either of us bought, and could listen from either phone, either of our iPads, either of our macs, or from our apple tv. One computer in our house was the golden repository. Now the cloud takes care of it - just buy a song from wherever and it automatically downloads everywhere else. iTunes Match will do the same for ripped CDs or mp3s purchased elsewhere.

thanks, but this is not much different to before (unless i have missed something)

if i buy a song on my mac, it just automatically downloads it again from the app store on my iPod touch (is this classed as cloud, seems like just using the itunes store to me but allowing multiple downloads)

isnt itunes match similar, it just shows which songs that I have that were not purchased from apple and allows me to download these from the itunes store for a modest price

perhaps i dont really understand cloud computer, but to me these just seem like itunes store enhancements, i dont see what extra is being stored in the cloud

mattburles
Jun 8, 2011, 09:03 AM
i am not getting 10.3.1 on software update or from within iTunes and its not on the website either.

Themaeds
Jun 8, 2011, 09:03 AM
No update here, yet.

John.B
Jun 8, 2011, 09:04 AM
I got the 10.3.1 notification in SU late last night. Haven't updated yet...

The price you pay for giving the Google Hive access to what's on your system, I guess. :eek:

As an IT guy, I honestly don't trust auto-updating software. Not from Apple or Microsoft or Oracle or anyone else. I prefer to watch a new version come out, let other people find any potential problems, then upgrade after everything seems stable across a wide swath of users.

The exception might be if something was broken in a current version that the new version fixed, but that's a rare occurrence if you've already let the world be your test team for the older version.

YMMV.

toddybody
Jun 8, 2011, 09:13 AM
W7 64 Bit iTunes telling me 10.2.2 is the current version. *Sigh

Downloading 10.3.1 from Apple.com now:rolleyes:

BTW: Havent tried on my iMac yet...but for those who already updated, was it a delta update? Thanks

cmaier
Jun 8, 2011, 09:29 AM
thanks, but this is not much different to before (unless i have missed something)

if i buy a song on my mac, it just automatically downloads it again from the app store on my iPod touch (is this classed as cloud, seems like just using the itunes store to me but allowing multiple downloads)

isnt itunes match similar, it just shows which songs that I have that were not purchased from apple and allows me to download these from the itunes store for a modest price

perhaps i dont really understand cloud computer, but to me these just seem like itunes store enhancements, i dont see what extra is being stored in the cloud

The iTunes store IS the cloud. It's no longer necessary to have a computer in your house where you store all your music. Every computer in your house is now merely a client that can hold copies of any or all of your music. you sync to the cloud, not to some box sitting in your house.

CindyRed
Jun 8, 2011, 09:33 AM
It looks like the beta for iCloud music history is only available in the U.S. right now. I just hope this an issue exclusive to the beta. I would hate to see the same thing pop up when iCloud goes gold. Just like iTunes movie rentals, a number of apps, iBooks and the original iPhone I hated sitting on a waiting list while those in America got to play with the Apple toys.

SwedishFrog
Jun 8, 2011, 09:39 AM
I got the -50 error when I tried to sync after downloading previously purchased music from iTunes on my iPhone 4. Then I opened the iPod app, it updated the library (presumably to include the downloads), and the problem went away.

paulsalter
Jun 8, 2011, 09:46 AM
The iTunes store IS the cloud. It's no longer necessary to have a computer in your house where you store all your music. Every computer in your house is now merely a client that can hold copies of any or all of your music. you sync to the cloud, not to some box sitting in your house.

Ok, thanks for clarification

think i will stick with local sync, more options and quicker

bretm
Jun 8, 2011, 09:49 AM
It looks like the beta for iCloud music history is only available in the U.S. right now. I just hope this an issue exclusive to the beta. I would hate to see the same thing pop up when iCloud goes gold. Just like iTunes movie rentals, a number of apps, iBooks and the original iPhone I hated sitting on a waiting list while those in America got to play with the Apple toys.

I would assume they still have to work out international or country by country copyright deals, etc. I think a minor bump in the road for the moment probably.

Brother Esau
Jun 8, 2011, 09:54 AM
You know you can setup Mac OS X software update to check at specific times and when there are updates to download them in the background? They will be installed the next time you shut down or reboot your Mac. How is this not effortless?

If you give a damn about what is going on on your Mac you will remove Chrome and use Chromium which is using Sparkle to update. Chrome literally litters all over the Mac OS X and calls back all the time to the Hive for God knows what.

Google software update is the biggest malware i have seen.

I am on Windows 7 Pro 64 and do not use mac because I work on PC but, I will attest to the fact that Chrome is buggy and should be avoided. I myself have been on Firefox since day one 7 years ago and have never looked back. It was not until Firefox 4 hit that I actually saw problems manifesting with Firefox.

Trinity
Jun 8, 2011, 09:58 AM
You must be synching over the air, over iTunes and in some other way at the same time.

In iTunes, the Sync settings for Calendar should warn you when your configuration could cause duplicate entries to appear.

Another way to test this would be to open iCal in your iPhone, selecting Calendars, and making sure only one Calendar shows at a time instead of All Calendars.

no no, it's iTunes and only with some calendars some duplicated and some tripled:

http://homepage.mac.com/xsimon/diversos/calendars.png

if I uncheck one both appear unchecked after syncing and vice versa

cmaier
Jun 8, 2011, 10:10 AM
Ok, thanks for clarification

think i will stick with local sync, more options and quicker

Not sure what you are saying. It's not an either-or thing. You mostly would use the cloud to sync your computers to each other, not to sync your phone to your mac/pc. If you have only one phone/ipod and one mac/pc, icloud is not going to be of much help to you (other than itunes match which gives you the ability to grab stuff you didn't already sync to your phone when on-the-go - but it's not worth it just for that).

The magic of icloud is when you have a scenario with multiple pcs and multiple idevices.

paulsalter
Jun 8, 2011, 10:16 AM
Not sure what you are saying. It's not an either-or thing. You mostly would use the cloud to sync your computers to each other, not to sync your phone to your mac/pc. If you have only one phone/ipod and one mac/pc, icloud is not going to be of much help to you (other than itunes match which gives you the ability to grab stuff you didn't already sync to your phone when on-the-go - but it's not worth it just for that).

The magic of icloud is when you have a scenario with multiple pcs and multiple idevices.

currently have 1 mac and an iPod Touch

most music i get is ripped from CD, bought from eMusic and a little from iTunes
If I buy from iTunes its a pain downloading twice when i can just connect up my ipod and its synced very quickly, plus i use playlists mainly which this doesnt do (i need to plug it in somewhere over night to charge so why not just sync at the same time)

I missread the whole thing when i first read about it, when i saw it only worked on WiFi, I assumed it would do the same as a wired sync now only wirelessly, didnt know that all it did was re download your purchases on other devices

i thought homesharing did multiple machines already, download on one and it copies to others ?

nostromo77
Jun 8, 2011, 10:25 AM
It actually is downloading. Just leave it going and the keynote will eventually appear. (I can't say how long it will take since I left it going overnight.)

Thank you for replying I'll do that!

:)

mechaBORED
Jun 8, 2011, 10:51 AM
iTunes 10.3.1 download for 64-bit windows here for anyone who can't seem to find it on the website. :)

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1047

TheAppleDragon
Jun 8, 2011, 10:56 AM
Interesting.

For me at least, the 10.5 beta is more stable than 10.3. At least they're staying on top of updates!

macklos
Jun 8, 2011, 11:12 AM
Well for me when after installing and using 10.3 last night my iMac suddenly went black and the audio when nutz. Never had that happen before 10.3...
hope this .1 fixes that.

iRobby
Jun 8, 2011, 11:27 AM
iTunes 10.3.1 download for 64-bit windows here for anyone who can't seem to find it on the website. :)

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1047

where is the 32 bit windows version

malnar
Jun 8, 2011, 11:30 AM
I got the -50 error when I tried to sync after downloading previously purchased music from iTunes on my iPhone 4. Then I opened the iPod app, it updated the library (presumably to include the downloads), and the problem went away.
My solution was much more complicated than that. I had to uncheck all songs that I'd downloaded yesterday before iTunes would stop giving the -50 error. It seems as if it couldn't figure out what to do about music that was already in iTunes on my computer and stuff I downloaded that day, which is weird because you'd think it's merely a database issue.

What's really annoying is that I purchased a new album yesterday album, something I didn't have at all, and once downloaded to my Touch, I lost EVERYTHING in my Touch except that album - and as I was on my out to work I didn't have time to troubleshoot. So that's why I took advantage of downloading previous purchases. Got home, synced, and got the error, but immediately my 45gb~ of music on the Touch was available again, but also with the duplicated purchases AND their counterparts from my own iTunes, leading me to believe the error was something to do with the database. And that's why I unchecked those downloads, after which it synced perfectly. Annoying, but it worked. Hopefully 10.3.1 takes care of this - I really liked being able to download older purchases. It had me totally sold on paying $25/year for iTunes In The Cloud.

cmaier
Jun 8, 2011, 11:33 AM

If I buy from iTunes its a pain downloading twice when i can just connect up my ipod and its synced very quickly, plus i use playlists mainly which this doesnt do (i need to plug it in somewhere over night to charge so why not just sync at the same time)

I missread the whole thing when i first read about it, when i saw it only worked on WiFi, I assumed it would do the same as a wired sync now only wirelessly, didnt know that all it did was re download your purchases on other devices

i thought homesharing did multiple machines already, download on one and it copies to others ?

Wireless sync is something different - they are adding that as well. That does the same thing as the current usb sync.

Homesharing does not copy the songs to other machines - it just lets you play songs from other machines - there's still only one copy.

paulsalter
Jun 8, 2011, 11:51 AM
Wireless sync is something different - they are adding that as well.

cool, now that is something i look forward to :)

mattburles
Jun 8, 2011, 11:53 AM
someone care to explain what the automatic downloads does?

does this mean if i update an app or download music on computer it automatically goes to all my devices?

paulsalter
Jun 8, 2011, 11:55 AM
someone care to explain what the automatic downloads does?

does this mean if i update an app or download music on computer it automatically goes to all my devices?

unsure of if you update an app, but if you buy on one device it auto downloads on your others

jacksonbloggg
Jun 8, 2011, 12:35 PM
Hmmm haven't got the update through on my mac yet.
It'll be interesting to test the new iClouds features once its released, will it be any good do you think?

stainlessliquid
Jun 8, 2011, 12:42 PM
these stupid updates wouldnt be so bad if Apple didnt have the worst software update process ever made

Why does itunes check for an update independently? When I click update why cant it JUST update itunes? Why does it have to take 5 minutes to scan my entire system for more updates when I just told it to update itunes? It already checked for updates which is why it notified me that I needed one so why is it checking AGAIN? Why do I have to redownload the entire 75mbs again? Why does it then rescan my entire system to check for more updates after installing? Why cant this all happen automatically and without me having to jump through hoops?

Wake the hell up Apple, that is absolutely pathetic

johnvr
Jun 8, 2011, 12:56 PM
I'm in Austria, but have a US iTunes account. Still shows 10.2.2 as the latest edition...

cmaier
Jun 8, 2011, 01:34 PM
these stupid updates wouldnt be so bad if Apple didnt have the worst software update process ever made

Never used an Adobe product, I take it?

iSimx
Jun 8, 2011, 02:34 PM
Are there supposed to be any UI changes because I'm not getting any..

cmaier
Jun 8, 2011, 03:09 PM
Are there supposed to be any UI changes because I'm not getting any..

between 10.3.1 and 10.3? no.

Herdfan
Jun 8, 2011, 03:54 PM
I'm in Austria, but have a US iTunes account. Still shows 10.2.2 as the latest edition...

I had to manually download, but even this morning I got 10.3, not 10.3.1.

Unless the (54) after the 3 indicates the .1.

henryhbk
Jun 8, 2011, 04:32 PM
Is anyone else noticing that the spacebar no longer plays/pauses the current track? That was super handy at work when someone walks in or phone rings to switch to iTunes window and hit space, rather than move across 2 screens (that's a lot of mousing across dual 27's) and either click on the dock icon or play button.

Correction: After some further research, if you just open iTunes the default used to be the spacebar play/paused, but now the default is into the search field, which is why the space bar doesn't work. So now you have to click into the playlist, then it worked

John.B
Jun 8, 2011, 05:04 PM
Is anyone else noticing that the spacebar no longer plays/pauses the current track? That was super handy at work when someone walks in or phone rings to switch to iTunes window and hit space, rather than move across 2 screens (that's a lot of mousing across dual 27's) and either click on the dock icon or play button.

Correction: After some further research, if you just open iTunes the default used to be the spacebar play/paused, but now the default is into the search field, which is why the space bar doesn't work. So now you have to click into the playlist, then it worked
I always use the play/pause/etc. buttons on my Apple keyboard. :cool:

PatrickCocoa
Jun 8, 2011, 08:08 PM
I prefer to watch a new version come out, let other people find any potential problems, then upgrade after everything seems stable across a wide swath of users.

Kant's categorical imperative teaches us that what you're doing is bad.

blybug
Jun 8, 2011, 11:30 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wireless sync is something different - they are adding that as well. That does the same thing as the current usb sync.

Homesharing does not copy the songs to other machines - it just lets you play songs from other machines - there's still only one copy.

Home Sharing does allow for both manual and automatic copying of purchased content from one computer to another. iCloud adds iDevices to the mix.

Hope the final version allows specifying on which devices you want which kinds of media downloaded automagically. In the beta the settings in iTunes and the iPhone are pretty much all or nothing across all devices/computers.

cmaier
Jun 8, 2011, 11:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Home Sharing does allow for both manual and automatic copying of purchased content from one computer to another. iCloud adds iDevices to the mix.

Hope the final version allows specifying on which devices you want which kinds of media downloaded automagically. In the beta the settings in iTunes and the iPhone are pretty much all or nothing across all devices/computers.

Home sharing only allows you to play media residing on another computer - I see no way to copy media from the source to the client. It just essentially streams the media.

Further home sharing DOES work with idevices.

Apple seems to agree with me: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3819

blybug
Jun 8, 2011, 11:49 PM
Home sharing only allows you to play media residing on another computer - I see no way to copy media from the source to the client. It just essentially streams the media.

Further home sharing DOES work with idevices.

Apple seems to agree with me: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3819

You just drag the song from the shared library to your library (as noted in the article you referenced). And you can check a box that automatically copies any purchases made on any machine to your machine (also noted in the KB article). Been doing this effortlessly for months, maybe close to a year, to keep my central iTunes machine always current with purchases that anyone in the family has made. Now the iCloud will be the hub instead of individual computers.

http://www.bly.cc/images/itunes-sharing.jpg
http://www.bly.cc/images/itunes-sharing2.jpg

iDevices to this point could stream via Home Sharing, now they are included in the "automatically download" purchases made on other devices or computers. Bought a song on my iPhone last night, when I came home it was already in my iTunes on my computer (vice versa works too, tested it this morning).

cmaier
Jun 9, 2011, 12:03 AM
You just drag the song from the shared library to your library (as noted in the article you referenced). And you can check a box that automatically copies any purchases made on any machine to your machine (also noted in the KB article). Been doing this effortlessly for months, maybe close to a year, to keep my central iTunes machine always current with purchases that anyone in the family has made. Now the iCloud will be the hub instead of individual computers.

http://www.bly.cc/images/itunes-sharing.jpg
http://www.bly.cc/images/itunes-sharing2.jpg

iDevices to this point could stream via Home Sharing, now they are included in the "automatically download" purchases made on other devices or computers. Bought a song on my iPhone last night, when I came home it was already in my iTunes on my computer (vice versa works too, tested it this morning).

sure, you can drag between pcs/macs only (not idevices). And it doesn't automatically copy files installed on one to the others (unless purchased from the itunes store). This is very different than what icloud/itunes match brings to the table.

blybug
Jun 9, 2011, 12:24 AM

sure, you can drag between pcs/macs only (not idevices). And it doesn't automatically copy files installed on one to the others (unless purchased from the itunes store). This is very different than what icloud/itunes match brings to the table.

It's not very different at all, it's just been a limited local version of the more complete solution iCloud offers. iDevices are now included in the "Home Sharing" option of automatically downloading content bought on any other registered device/computer, even when away from "Home" (ie off your local network).

iTunes Match is going to "just essentially stream" the media that is not iTunes purchased. Only the iTunes purchased stuff will continue to automagically be copied locally on all devices/computers. Non-iTunes purchased items (ie ripped CDs) will be streamed from the iTunes master copy, not stored locally anywhere for you besides your own ripped copy. Pandora with all your own songs. And sounds like only stuff you have that iTunes doesn't will be uploaded to the iCloud, but will count against your 5GB of storage...

I love what Home Sharing has offered and I will sign up for iTunes Match on Day 1. However, the way it works will subtly over time act as an incentive for people to actually replace the things they pirated, ripped, or even bought elsewhere with proper iTunes versions. I think Apple and the record companies know this...I'm OK with it...

iSimx
Jun 9, 2011, 09:59 AM
between 10.3.1 and 10.3? no.

how about the 10.3 version. Apparently they've refined the UI slightly e.g the volume control and playback controls but mine hasn't changed at all... very strange

Amazing Iceman
Jun 10, 2011, 12:11 PM
no no, it's iTunes and only with some calendars some duplicated and some tripled:

Image (http://homepage.mac.com/xsimon/diversos/calendars.png)

if I uncheck one both appear unchecked after syncing and vice versa

I see the problem... If your iOS device already logs into MobileMe, there's no need to sync anything related to MobileMe via iTunes. your iOS device will synchronized directly with MobileMe over the internet.

Otherwise, you'll get duplicated entries from:
- MobileMe Calendars (directly accessed)
- MobileMe Calendars (synchronized via iTunes)

You should disable calendar sync via iTunes, and most likely do the same for Contacts and email