Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theaero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I figure it would be good to have a list of what is working and not working, in case people want to use Lion as their daily driver. This list is for developer preview 4.

Post your experiences, etc

Guide:
:D = Flawless
:confused: = Needs work
:mad: = Unusable / Crashes

:D :
Steam
Portal 2
Counter Strike Source
Left 4 Dead 2
Pro Tools 9
Metric Halo MIO Console
Metric Halo Firewire Drivers

:mad: :
Pro Tools 9.0 (Crashes on launch)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
:D
Gruml
Adium
Twitter
iWork '09
Plex
Chrome
Firefox

:confused:
Transmission

If you want to be more helpful, you could collect the apps from everyone's post into the OP to make one huge list. Much easier for people to check compatibility from that instead of scrolling through several pages.

MACza

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Would appreciate it if someone could test Quicksilver. B60 now available at qsapp.com.

Can't live without it in OS X :)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Eclipse (prompts to download Java but works fine after it's finished downloading)
BBEdit
VMWare Fusion
Office 2011
Cyberduck
Omnigraffle Professional

:mad:
Mac The Ripper (No rosetta support)

theaero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Gruml
Adium
Twitter
iWork '09
Plex
Chrome
Firefox

:confused:
Transmission

If you want to be more helpful, you could collect the apps from everyone's post into the OP to make one huge list. Much easier for people to check compatibility from that instead of scrolling through several pages.

I will do that. can you please elaborate on Transmission?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I will do that. can you please elaborate on Transmission?

It crashes randomly. It works fine for e.g. 40mins and then just freezes. Works fine after quitting but crashes again after some time. Also crashes when you add a torrent and try to select the files you want to download.

I would like to note that this was the case with previous DPs, I haven't tried it with DP4 yet. Will do later on today and report back. It's usually the app that needs to be updated, an OS update shouldn't play a big role.

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Chromium 14.0.786.0 (87928) allows you to get into full screen but I can't get out without quitting and relaunching.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
So MTR is Rosetta only? I didn't think I even had Rosetta installed on my iMac and my copy of MTR 3.014 (I think that's the version, not the old 2.6.6, and not the 4.x beta) works fine in SL 10.6.7. I really need this to work in 10.7.

I just found out that AirPrint Hacktivator is now AirPrint Activator and does not support 10.7 yet. And the list at Roaring Apps shows problems for Total Finder.

All three of these are key to me. I print a lot from iPhone or iPad. And I use MTR and Total Finder. Would be a real bummer if MTR doesn't work in 10.7.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
So MTR is Rosetta only? I didn't think I even had Rosetta installed on my iMac and my copy of MTR 3.014 (I think that's the version, not the old 2.6.6, and not the 4.x beta) works fine in SL 10.6.7. I really need this to work in 10.7.

I just found out that AirPrint Hacktivator is now AirPrint Activator and does not support 10.7 yet. And the list at Roaring Apps shows problems for Total Finder.

All three of these are key to me. I print a lot from iPhone or iPad. And I use MTR and Total Finder. Would be a real bummer if MTR doesn't work in 10.7.

At least 2.6.6 doesn't work in Lion. Not sure about the newer ones as they seemed to be shareware (and harder to get as you needed to send email if their site was correct).

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
At least 2.6.6 doesn't work in Lion. Not sure about the newer ones as they seemed to be shareware (and harder to get as you needed to send email if their site was correct).

I haven't used 2.6.6 in years. I went through the process to get 3.0 r14 and it works very well on almost everything. There is a 4.x but it was in beta and I never followed up as I don't use it that much nor did I think I needed it.

kristoffers4

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
It crashes randomly. It works fine for e.g. 40mins and then just freezes. Works fine after quitting but crashes again after some time. Also crashes when you add a torrent and try to select the files you want to download.

I would like to note that this was the case with previous DPs, I haven't tried it with DP4 yet. Will do later on today and report back. It's usually the app that needs to be updated, an OS update shouldn't play a big role.

Transmission works fine for me in DP4...

petitpiton

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2009
UK

I had AirPrint working in Snow Leopard and wasn't totally surprised when it stopped working in Lion. However, my iPhone could still print to the printer shared by my MacBook just new iOS devices couldn't discover the shared printer. That got me thinking... a quick google showed the attributes of the service advertising in bonjour that are required for iOS to discover the printer. Then a one line command in terminal added those attributes to the service advertisement set up by printer sharing... bingo, all iOS devices on my network can discover the printer again and print without problem :). Apple have added the CUPS raster filter and conversion types pulled from 10.6.5 back into Lion, but have suppressed the advertising of the service to the iOS devices. I would guess they plan a Lion update at some point to change the service message...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.