PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading a G5 Processor?

mrdibby
Jun 8, 2011, 07:19 AM
Hi guys

I'm about to get given a PowerMac G5 single-core 1.9Ghz. I'm looking for an upgrade solution as I'm not sure if it will have enough power for what I'd need to use it for (music production).

I've done a bit of searching on here and can't find a complete answer, but the gist of it seems that as well as the processor (I'm planning for a 2.5 Quad) I would need a PSU and a logic board to go with it.

Is this all I would need to upgrade? Or are there more things I have to look at?

Electricidad
Jun 8, 2011, 09:40 AM
Is this all I would need to upgrade?

Step 1: Sell the computer.
Step 2: Buy a computer with the specs you want.

ashman70
Jun 8, 2011, 10:24 AM
Why put money into old technology? I know you are getting it for free but your money would be better spent on something newer with an intel processor so you could at least run Snow Leopard and maybe even Lion when it's released. The highest you'll be able to go with a G5 is Leopard 10.5.8. While they are adequate machines for certain tasks, don't look pouring money into a PPC, look for a used Mac Pro 1,1 or iMac with an Intel CPU.

Transporteur
Jun 8, 2011, 10:36 AM
I've done a bit of searching on here and can't find a complete answer, but the gist of it seems that as well as the processor (I'm planning for a 2.5 Quad) I would need a PSU and a logic board to go with it.

Is this all I would need to upgrade? Or are there more things I have to look at?

To make a single core G5 (either 1.6 or 1.8GHz, there never was a 1.9) a 2.5 quad, you'd need;

- a new logic board
- a new case that can take the logic board
- a new PSU
- new RAM
- a new graphics card
- new processors
- new cooling system

It's a completely different system, so except for the optical drive and the HDD, no parts are interchangeable. The only option to make your single a quad is so sell the single and buy a quad. Simple as that.

mrdibby
Jun 8, 2011, 02:04 PM
Oh wow, that's pretty much new everything.

Well I have found pretty much all of those parts listed by Transporteur, suited to a quad G5, going for about 250 on eBay. That's a pretty good deal isn't it?

I'll have a think on it anyway. Following my first post I came upon an article about the quad-core cooling system leaking, which has put me off a bit. I'll do a bit of research on Intel options anyway.

leekohler
Jun 8, 2011, 02:27 PM
Oh wow, that's pretty much new everything.

Well I have found pretty much all of those parts listed by Transporteur, suited to a quad G5, going for about 250 on eBay. That's a pretty good deal isn't it?

I'll have a think on it anyway. Following my first post I came upon an article about the quad-core cooling system leaking, which has put me off a bit. I'll do a bit of research on Intel options anyway.

That's actually not bad at all. Go for it.

Ktscheinqe
Jun 10, 2011, 06:44 AM
I don't have a g5, but tend to use older 'low-spec' pcs (I don't edit video or wall-size poster photos, etc, so don't need mega machines).
- ask the current owner under what circumstances the g5 has become deficient.
- I'd use that g5 for a while. if it's so horribly underpowered, you'll soon notice.
- also, if it does seem underpowered, check for cheaply fixed limitations. iow, more ram.
- afaik, software writers are currently 'abandoning' tiger 10.4, so any later osx should run the latest version of whatever might tempt you.

(also, if it does or does not work ok for you, i'd be curious if you followup post, including the name of the 'heavy duty' software that is or isn't taxing the g5...)