PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drives for PMG5

yg17
Mar 22, 2005, 04:04 PM
Im looking to add a second hard drive to my PMG5 for some more space. Im not interested in RAID, and I am looking around the $130 price range which should get me a 200 gig drive, maybe a 250 if I find one on sale. I know I need SATA. I've been looking around, and Maxtor, Western Digital, Seagate and Hitatchi are all around the same price, so my biggest question is which brand to get. The 80 gig drive that came with my Mac is a Maxtor, and while its fast and works great, its a bit on the noisy side so I'd like something quieter. Which brand do you recommend? Thanks

Norouzi
Mar 22, 2005, 04:35 PM
First off let me say I have no expierence with SATA drives, only ATA. That being said I'll still offer my opinion on the manufacture. My personl favorite is Seagate, overall I've seen very few Seagate drives have problems. Western Digital makes the drive that is currently in my PowerMac and I've had no problems with it. I've been wary of Maxtor as the drives they made for the iMac G3's tended to fry, literaly. Hitachi bought IBM and I currently have 2 250GB ATA Hitachi's in our server at work and I think they work great.
Hope this have been at least somewhat helpful and hopefully others will have better advice for SATA drives.

ChrisFromCanada
Mar 22, 2005, 04:57 PM
Seagate

jimsowden
Mar 22, 2005, 05:44 PM
250 WD for $140 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-154&depa=1)

AstroManLuca
Mar 22, 2005, 06:03 PM
250 WD for $140 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-154&depa=1)
Seconded. NewEgg = winnar.

I've found very little difference between different companies' hard drives recently. The only significant difference is that Seagate's drives come with a 5-year warranty instead of 3 years. But they also tend to cost more. Weigh the pros and cons yourself.

yg17
Mar 22, 2005, 07:05 PM

Thanks, I will probably go with that one. I've had good luck with Western Digital in my PCs.

This is the first time I'll ever be installing a SATA drive. I've done IDE drives in PCs more times than I can count, but with SATA, will I need any special adapters or will it hook right up? thanks

keysersoze
Mar 22, 2005, 07:15 PM
Thanks, I will probably go with that one. I've had good luck with Western Digital in my PCs.

This is the first time I'll ever be installing a SATA drive. I've done IDE drives in PCs more times than I can count, but with SATA, will I need any special adapters or will it hook right up? thanks

It could quite possibly be the easiest thing you will ever have to do to a computer. Set jumper to cable select. Screw in special G5 screws. Insert HD. Plug in SATA cable. Plug in Power cable. Done.

Edit: those special screws should be in the G5, on the side of the HD mounting bay.

broken_keyboard
Mar 22, 2005, 07:49 PM
I have tried Seagate, Samsung and two Western Digital drives in my G5.
The Samsung was by far the quietest, which is a consideration since the G5 case has so many holes. The WD Raptor was the fastest. I currently have the Samsung and the Raptor installed and have sold the OEM Seagate and WD Caviar.