PDA

View Full Version : iPod is a white disk

sockeatingdryer
Mar 22, 2005, 04:22 PM
When my iPod mounts, it mounts as a white, regular removable disk on the desktop (not a FireWire disk, even), however it mounts on iTunes as an iPod.

Even stranger, though, is that unless I click 'enable disk use' in the iTunes/iPod preferences, it will unmount out-of-the-blue. I've already tried resetting with menu+centre, resetting with iPod utility, and reformatting. Please help!

Norouzi
Mar 22, 2005, 04:29 PM
If you don't have "Enable Disk Use" Checked then it's working perfectly. To use it as an external hard drive that has to be checked.

EDIT: Unless you mean that iTunes looses it randomly without disk use being checked?

sandman42
Mar 22, 2005, 04:36 PM
You're talking about how it looks on the desktop, right? You mean that it doesn't show an iPod icon?

I'm having a similar problem. My iPod shows up on the desktop as a disk image! It always looked fine on my iBook (the icon looked just like a little iPod), and it was fine at first on my new Mac Mini, but then it started showing up on the desktop with the wrong icon.

Is there an easy way to change which icon shows up on the desktop?

mad jew
Mar 22, 2005, 04:45 PM
There are already a few threads on this. I had the same problem with the icon but it was fixed when I rolled back the firmware update to the pre-2005 release (which is still version 3.2 for the 4G). If that's not possible, then maybe try giving it an icon from one of the many icon websites around. Just a matter of typing APPLE-I on the downloaded icon, copying the picture from up the top (APPLE-C) and then typing APPLE-I on the iPod and pasting it in the same spot (APPLE-V). Sorry if this seems really straightforward but I'm not sure how much experience we've all had with changing icons.

On the issue of the disappearing iPod, if this happens once the iPod has finished updating then you have nothing to worry about, as someone else has already stated. Otherwise, try resetting the firmware (preferably with a pre-2005 edition assuming you have a regular iPod).

Hope this helps. :)

Norouzi
Mar 22, 2005, 04:46 PM
You're talking about how it looks on the desktop, right? You mean that it doesn't show an iPod icon?

I'm having a similar problem. My iPod shows up on the desktop as a disk image! It always looked fine on my iBook (the icon looked just like a little iPod), and it was fine at first on my new Mac Mini, but then it started showing up on the desktop with the wrong icon.

Is there an easy way to change which icon shows up on the desktop?

I suppose if it's just the icon that your worried about then you could do the old "Get Info" on the iPod while it's mounted, select the icon in the top left corner and paste whatever icon you want there, just like any other folder or drive.

mcgarry
Mar 22, 2005, 05:03 PM
Norouzi- that doesn't work, at least in my case, as the icon there is gone too.

Here's one (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=112727) of the other threads, with some more details / user stories. Consensus: the last update caused it.

sockeatingdryer
Mar 22, 2005, 05:44 PM
Norouzi --- Yes, iTunes (and the entire system) loses it randomly. I think that it has something to do with the last update, though.

ScotRobson
Mar 23, 2005, 09:41 AM
Norouzi --- Yes, iTunes (and the entire system) loses it randomly. I think that it has something to do with the last update, though.

I've just plugged in my iPod to update some songs. My disc image did exactly the same thing. The only thing i have installed since the last time i updated my iPod is the most recent security update.

Also when I updated it this time - instead of just copying the new songs it seemed to be going through every song in my library.

:rolleyes:

jeremy.king
Mar 23, 2005, 09:49 AM
If you don't use your iPod as a disk (ie enable disk usage) then iTunes will unmount the iPod as soon as its done with it. At least this is how mine behaves and I am pretty sure this is normal. If you have disk mode enabled, it shouldn't unmount until you tell it to.

I also read that if your iPod is formatted for PC, the icon will look like a regular white disk - could this be true in some of your cases?

ScotRobson
Mar 23, 2005, 10:18 AM
If you don't use your iPod as a disk (ie enable disk usage) then iTunes will unmount the iPod as soon as its done with it. At least this is how mine behaves and I am pretty sure this is normal. If you have disk mode enabled, it shouldn't unmount until you tell it to.

I also read that if your iPod is formatted for PC, the icon will look like a regular white disk - could this be true in some of your cases?

Well, I dont use my iPod as a disk, never have. But it is set to unmount manually - so I have to press eject.

Also my iPod has never been formated for use on a PC, it has always been used on my mac and I'm having the same problem with my iPod image when it is mounted.

So, i'm blaming the security update

cwedl
Mar 23, 2005, 10:23 AM
When my iPod mounts, it mounts as a white, regular removable disk on the desktop (not a FireWire disk, even), however it mounts on iTunes as an iPod.

Even stranger, though, is that unless I click 'enable disk use' in the iTunes/iPod preferences, it will unmount out-of-the-blue. I've already tried resetting with menu+centre, resetting with iPod utility, and reformatting. Please help!

When I attach my ipod running mac OSX 10.2.8 it comes up as a regular disk. If however I connect it up to my mac mini running 10.3.8 it looks like an ipod. What version are you running?

sandman42
Mar 23, 2005, 03:29 PM
I have my iPod preferences set to 'Update Manually', but when I plug my iPod in (and it shows up on the desktop and in iTunes) the 'update iPod now' menu selection is greyed out. Shouldn't it be available? In order to get my iPod to update I have to switch the preferences to 'automatically update', at which point it does just that, then switch back to 'manually update' when I'm done (so that I can use it in disk mode with my other Mac without it trying to update there too). This doesn't seem right to me, but that's the way it behaves.

sockeatingdryer
Mar 23, 2005, 07:12 PM
No, I have 10.3.8, and everything's up-to-date. And iTunes should be keeping it until I actually eject it, right? My iPod's formatted for Mac (always has been), and I just changed the icon until someone reports a fix of this damn bug.

sahnert
Apr 14, 2005, 03:01 PM
-sorry wrong thread....

Plymouthbreezer
Apr 14, 2005, 03:39 PM
My shuffle does this too... Works fine though. :rolleyes: