PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades for Powermac G4 Quicksilver?

MacintoshMaster
Jun 8, 2011, 09:20 AM
Hi,
I bought a powermac G4 QS 733MHz and upgraded the motherboard and cpu to a dual 800MHz. I have upgraded USB 2, airports card, 1.5GBram, hard drive, DVD drive. I would like to upgrade the graphics card now. What graphics card could I get for under 40? Don't mind second hand stuff. And which fans would fit that would be quieter?
Thanks,
John.

666sheep
Jun 8, 2011, 12:23 PM
First, but important, question:
What do you want to use this computer for? If you mean youtube, Hulu etc - no graphics card upgrade can help with it. It's CPU thing.

BTW, there are many threads about graphics cards for G4 ;)
You surely will find something useful for yourself.
Most popular are ATI 9700 or 9800 and GF6200 from Nvidia.

sysiphus
Jun 8, 2011, 03:18 PM
The most powerful non-modded card you can get is the ATI 9800. It runs ~$100. The 9700 is hit-or-miss in a Quicksilver, as they're only available as pulls from MDD machines, which provided more power to the AGP slot than the Quicksilver did. The Geforce4Ti isn't worth it for OSX use, though it's the best 3D card for OS9. Anything slower than the ATI 9800 probably isn't going to be fast enough to make a significant difference for you (gaming?), unless you only want to play older (early 2000s) games which could be maxed out on an ATI 9000 or similar.

Heavertron
Jun 8, 2011, 03:51 PM
I got a SATA PCI card for my QS G4. It made a big difference, as those ATA drives are a real bottle kneck. Just so happens I'm selling one at the moment, PM me if you are interested.

uller6
Jun 17, 2011, 10:32 PM
I second the PCI sata card route. Sata drives are way way faster, and the one i have also lets you use drives bigger than 128G. Put a couple of those cards in and then fill the sucker up with huge fast hard drives and use it as a media server.

zen.state
Jun 19, 2011, 03:10 AM
Make sure the graphics cards you buy is Solaris compatible. :rolleyes: