Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgworek

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
On boot, launchpad works great but within 30 minutes, my launchpad only shows a couple of icons.

Anyone else have this problem?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-06-07 at 3.06.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-06-07 at 3.06.44 PM.png
    549.9 KB · Views: 465

mgworek

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Glad I'm not the only one.

I also noticed any folders I create from within Launchpad are not saved on reboot. Have you noticed this?

kristoffers4

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
Jups noticed the same things, icons not loading and order/folders are not saved when rebooting....

Donut4000

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Hmmmm

That's weird - going from DP 3 to 4 reversed the experience you had for me...my icons have now reappeared.....:rolleyes:

Firen

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Vienna, Austria
Apps I install myself go to page 2, since I wanted them on page 1 I moved the first one to the first page and it worked well. When I did the same with the second app it went where the other app just was. Same with the third app.

The last app in the list (the third app I moved) couldn't be moved anywhere anymore and after launching Launchpad again it was on page two again (and the other two apps missing).

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
It is happening to me too on my iMac 2.8: icons disappear and if you try to reorganize them they go back to original state after reboot.

All perfect on my MBP 17" instead

I am loosing my head over this issue that is quite annoying!

Hope someone comes out with a fix!

Donut4000

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
That's weird - going from DP 3 to 4 reversed the experience you had for me...my icons have now reappeared.....:rolleyes:

Arse! they vanished overnight! Like the screenshot above, I do have a few lingering fragments though...

Einz

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
On boot, launchpad works great but within 30 minutes, my launchpad only shows a couple of icons.

Anyone else have this problem?

Check and see if there is more than one application folder on your Mac?

The app with the icon, see where it is located on the Mac.

Eseifan

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
Have exactly same problem here. Installed OS X 10.7 DP4 on my iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 24” monitor yesterday and Launchpad has been all but useless. Icons disappear after an hour or so of running the computer, and all rearrangements of icons disappear on startup. No idea why this is happening.

Eseifan

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
And I’ve noticed it happens progressively, not in one strike. You start losing icons about 30-40 minutes after start up, and usually within a couple of hours they’re all gone. My computer has been running for about six hours now and there’s only the iCal icon left (don’t ask).

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
Have exactly same problem here. Installed OS X 10.7 DP4 on my iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 24” monitor yesterday and Launchpad has been all but useless. Icons disappear after an hour or so of running the computer, and all rearrangements of icons disappear on startup. No idea why this is happening.

I came to think that the problem might be the machine... I have this problem on a 2.8 GHz iMac 24" monitor while everything is all right on my MacBook Pro 17".
Initially I thought it might have been a bad Lion installation as I have upgraded from SL and this problem only showed up after DP3 so yesterday night I formatted everything and did a clean and fresh installation of Lion DP4.
No joy... after a couple of hours that made me hope ... the same problem and the same annoyance again. Booted up... and as imagined also all icon rearrangements vanished.

I really hope Apple fix this before Lion hits the "shelves" as I see it as an unacceptable glitch.

Any other experience about it?

paris18m

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
disappearing icons in launchpad is not a major problem, considering they are back again after a reboot or something. the problem is that once you reboot the arrangements made in launchpad are completely gone! this drives me nuts! everything else runs fine!

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
disappearing icons in launchpad is not a major problem, considering they are back again after a reboot or something. the problem is that once you reboot the arrangements made in launchpad are completely gone! this drives me nuts! everything else runs fine!

I beg to disagree, but disappearing icons in my opinion is pretty big problem and nonetheless cannot be accepted in a final release!
On my side I seldom shut down my Mac and if the only way to "recover" launchpad icons is to re-boot... everything becomes a bit TOO MUCH cumbersome, don't you agree?

Eseifan

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011

I agree with Lukeit on this one. Disappearing icons are a major problem in that they render Launchpad useless, what’s the point of you’re going to spend 15 minutes looking for the app? And Launchpad has been featured as one of the leading new functionalities of Lion. Apple had better fix this in the official release.

ptiseul

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
I have exactly the same issue....
My launchpad disappear after 5mn !!! only reboot solve this...
Is there any trick to prevent the reboot ??
Moving to Lion with my corei5 was a difficult thing as we had to do this via firewire and replace the wifi plist by the old one !!
And now I have to select the wireless i want to connect to everytime !
Does someone know if something like a preview5 or an RC is going to be released before july ??

Stellarola

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
You don't have to reboot. Just open terminal and type "killall Dock", without the " ".

-Stell

shamguy4

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2009
what about folders disappearing from the desktop when switching spaces? does anybody have this problem?

when i swipe to switch spaces sometimes my desktop icons are there and sometimes they are not
??

dc15203

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Icons disappearing from Launchpad

Same thing just happened to me. I'm running an pretty new MacBook Air with OS X v10.7.4. I was trying to put my fav apps in folder to reduce clutter within Launchpad and the stupid thing went nuts. Folder was gone with all the icons. Scared the crap out of me as I thought this might have deleted the apps as well, however, it did not.

Apple needs to fix this and supply some type of icon recovery tool.

:mad::mad::mad:

willrobbo

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
Apologies for digging up an old thread but this is top result on Google for this issue.

I just had the exact same issue on the latest version of 10.8 and the solution is to fire up Terminal and enter the following:

Code:
rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/*.db ; killall Dock
Beware: This may remove any customisations that you have made to Launchpad (icon order, folders, etc.)

When you start Launchpad again, it will display 'Loading Applications...' while it rebuilds the database.

Hope this helps!

sebisuarez10

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Apologies for digging up an old thread but this is top result on Google for this issue.

I just had the exact same issue on the latest version of 10.8 and the solution is to fire up Terminal and enter the following:

Code:
rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/*.db ; killall Dock
Beware: This may remove any customisations that you have made to Launchpad (icon order, folders, etc.)

When you start Launchpad again, it will display 'Loading Applications...' while it rebuilds the database.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for the help, I was looking everywhere for a fix! You sir are awesome. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.