Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I have been deliberating between buying Photogene or Filterstorm and see that Snapseed has been released by Nik Software (great Photoshop plugin developers).
Has anyone tried this out and can offer any feedback?

dgreene196

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Macworld posted a little first look-style preview of Snapseed earlier today. It at least gives some insight into how the program works.

http://www.macworld.com/article/160455/2011/06/snapseed_cool.html

I bought it because I've looked closely at Nik Software's offerings for several years, and I've liked what I've used of them, but I haven't been able to convince myself to buy the entire collection. A chance to play with a simplified version of their technology for $5 on the iPad seemed like a reasonable value.

So far, I really like Snapseed. I've got 2 other image-editing/drawing/filter programs on my iPad (FX Photo Studio HD and ArtStudio), and I think that Snapseed, for me, has been the most intuitive so far. The Macworld preview describes Snapseed as one of the most touch-friendly photo programs out there, and I agree with that. I don't think it's as flexible or powerful as the other two programs I have, and it's a little more expensive ($4.99 vs. $2.99), but, so far, it seems more intuitive for how I work. But I'll readily admit I've only played with it for a little bit, and I'm certain I've only scratched the surface of what it's capable of.

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I finally bought this over the weekend. I really enjoy using it - simple to get good results fast. I love that grunge filter. Needs RAW support and more control over final output size and quality but hopefully that will come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.