Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iExchange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
[SOLVED]

Hi everyone,
I was trying to install iOS5 beta on my iPad1, here's what i did:
1. download ios5 firmware for ipad1
2. install itunes 10.5 beta
3. open itunes 10.5 beta and plug my powered on ipad1 to the computer
4. shift-click the restore button(im using windows) and select the firmware i just downloaded at step1

then i received this message pop up:
"XXX's ipad could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible"

Did anyone encounter this problem before/have a solution for this?
Thanks tons!:)

*Some background info for my ipad, it was jailbroken untethered at 4.2.1 and i restored it to factory settings using DFU mode and restored to a 4.3.3(newest one), after that i did the steps 1 to 4 above.

Last edited:

patrickj

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Texas
Are you sure you tried a shift-restore and not a shift-update?

I did my V1 iPad on a Mac, but my steps were roughly the same as yours.

BTW, where did you find iTunes 10.5 for Windows?

iExchange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Yeah... I tried both actually, i tried shift-restore and shift-update... both not working... then i fire up my mac and tried option-restore and option-update, but they arent working either...

I found the itunes 10.5 dev beta from a youtube video

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
hey

i had this too, what had happened was i had tried to download 2 different iOS files one from torrent one from a site and i had cancelled one. Just redownload.

iExchange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Thank you for your generous information, i will try it now and see if it works :)

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
i had this too, what had happened was i had tried to download 2 different iOS files one from torrent one from a site and i had cancelled one. Just redownload.

So did this fix the problem for you? I am going to attempt to download the IPSW file again if so.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
This is strange, I redownloaded the IPSW file again and when i go to UPDATE in Itunes 10.5beta, I get a popup saying The iPad could not be updated. An unknown error occured (3002).

What gives?

Are you guys doing this by UPDATE or RESTORE button?

frankholdem

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
This is strange, I redownloaded the IPSW file again and when i go to UPDATE in Itunes 10.5beta, I get a popup saying The iPad could not be updated. An unknown error occured (3002).

What gives?

Are you guys doing this by UPDATE or RESTORE button?

I used restore. And the mistake that I initially made was that I downloaded the firmware for the iPad1 instead of iPad2. Once I downloaded the correct firmware the error about not being able to update the iPad went away.

avidad

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
I used restore. And the mistake that I initially made was that I downloaded the firmware for the iPad1 instead of iPad2. Once I downloaded the correct firmware the error about not being able to update the iPad went away.

Hi, I'm having the same issue. I want to try whats been advised in this thread but unfortunately I don't quite know how to manually update firmware? ( I have also jail broken my phone in the past and since then restored back, with the current 4.3.3 and firmware: 04.10.01

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.