PDA

View Full Version : Where are 10.7 Lion SMBX log files?

RogerPham
Jun 8, 2011, 01:16 PM
Does anybody know where the new Apple implementation of SMBX log its transactions? We are in the process of debugging why Lion would not let Linux mount its shared partitions but the message from the Linux side is very terse.

mount error(22): Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount cifs)

We were hoping that by looking at SMBX log files may offer more into the insight on what's going on the server side of file sharing.

chrfr
Jun 8, 2011, 03:08 PM
SMBX? Do you mean Samba? If so, it's my understanding that Apple has gone to its own Windows file sharing software, so you won't find the old smbd/nmbd logs.

rmbrown09
Jun 8, 2011, 03:13 PM
SMBX? Do you mean Samba? If so, it's my understanding that Apple has gone to its own Windows file sharing software, so you won't find the old smbd/nmbd logs.

He is talking about Linux.. so...

mrapplegate
Jun 8, 2011, 03:21 PM
He is talking about Linux.. so...

SMBX is Apple's SMB implementation, but I'm not sure where the log files are located. The system log is not being much help for you. Can you set SMBX to verbose and get more info in the system log?

RogerPham
Jun 8, 2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies. After some googling I believe it's in the console log (hopefully).

boilingpoint
Jun 9, 2011, 01:41 AM
Hi, RogerPham,

Run 'man smbd' in Terminal.

-debug The service will log extensive debug information and may perform extra diagnostic
checks. In debug mode, smbd will not exit when idle.
-stdout Causes smbd to print log messages to standard output instead of the system log.

Please try debugging using these commands:

[stopping smbd daemon]
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.smbd.plist

[debugging smbd]
sudo /usr/sbin/smbd -debug -stdout

[rerunning smbd daemon]
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.smbd.plist

Using above commands, I can get the below log for 5 times Linux mounting trial.

smb1_dispatch_one [smb_dispatch.cpp:377] dispatching SMB_COM_NEGOTIATE
WARN [negotiate.cpp:266] 192.168.14.2 SMB client not supported - Unicode, NT Errors, Long Names and Extended Security are required
WARN [negotiate.cpp:266] 192.168.14.2 SMB client not supported - Unicode, NT Errors, Long Names and Extended Security are required
socket_look [unix_socket.cpp:285] socket_look: rdsz 0 ---> EPIPE

And, here is for Mac OS X 10.5 mounting trial.

WARN [smb_dispatch.cpp:546] 192.168.14.2 SMB client not supported - Unicode strings are required
smb1_send_reply [smb_dispatch.cpp:797] responding on unbound transport
WARN [smb_dispatch.cpp:546] 192.168.14.2 SMB client not supported - Unicode strings are required
smb1_send_reply [smb_dispatch.cpp:797] responding on unbound transport

I hope it helps.

Mattie Num Nums
Jul 15, 2011, 03:54 PM
I know this is an old thread but I figured that I'd throw in some 2 cents.

SMBX is Apples on proprietary implementation of SMB. Apple is ditching Samba for an inhouse solution, SMBX. It isn't available anywhere but Lion so far. This is all pure speculation of course ;)

mrapplegate
Jul 15, 2011, 04:14 PM
I know this is an old thread but I figured that I'd throw in some 2 cents.

SMBX is Apples on proprietary implementation of SMB. Apple is ditching Samba for an inhouse solution, SMBX. It isn't available anywhere but Lion so far. This is all pure speculation of course ;)

I'm sure the OP knew this because that is what he was asking for, the SMBX log files ;)