PDA

View Full Version : Evernote Peek: The First iPad Smart Cover App

MacRumors
Jun 8, 2011, 01:42 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/evernote-peek-the-first-ipad-smart-cover-app/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/peeking-500x207.jpg

The folks behind Evernote (http://www.evernote.com/), the notetaking and organizational app, have come up with an interesting new iPad app called Evernote Peek (http://blog.evernote.com/2011/06/08/introducing-evernote-peek-the-first-ipad-smart-cover-app/). The app offers a unique use of Apple's Smart Cover to help users study, learn, and improve their memory.

Evernote Peek works by connecting to an existing Evernote account where your study materials are stored. When you're ready, close the Smart Cover, then fold the first panel back to reveal the question. When you think you have the answer, fold the second panel back and check. Peek will even keep track of which answers you get incorrect so you can go back later (it's on the honor system).

vqVjruCt6yg
Evernote Peek is a very clever use of the Smart Cover technology. It's free on the App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evernote-peek/id442151267).

Article Link: Evernote Peek: The First iPad Smart Cover App (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/evernote-peek-the-first-ipad-smart-cover-app/)

AbyssImpact
Jun 8, 2011, 01:44 PM
Lol thats stupid.

wingnut8
Jun 8, 2011, 01:44 PM
Lol thats stupid.

... It's actually pretty clever.

strabes
Jun 8, 2011, 01:47 PM
Seems kind of gimmicky. Wouldn't a notecard app work better?

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 8, 2011, 01:49 PM
I once used to play cricket using a book. All I needed to see where some page numbers and decide if it was a Six, a Four, a Single, a Double or Out. :P

This could be used for the same and provides a good feel for it.

Lol.

NebulaClash
It's actually a good demonstration of what can be done. I hope this inspires other companies to create even more useful info.

Apple has provided interfaces and SDKs that can be put to good use. It's up to the developers to maximize them. Nice to see this sort of thing.

eNcrypTioN
This would have been really useful back when I was in college. Making notecards was such a pain in the butt. I really like how it keeps stats on your right and wrong answers. clever app!

Small White Car
Jun 8, 2011, 01:50 PM
I LOVE watching the video on this. It's very a clever idea.

It also seems like something I'd never, ever use. I'd much rather tap or swipe the screen to advance the program.

It's one of those nice 'new ideas' that looks cool but isn't actually better than the old way of doing things.

holmesf
Jun 8, 2011, 01:51 PM
What sensor data are they using for this?

AbyssImpact
Jun 8, 2011, 01:55 PM
It's actually a good demonstration of what can be done. I hope this inspires other companies to create even more useful info.

Apple has provided interfaces and SDKs that can be put to good use. It's up to the developers to maximize them. Nice to see this sort of thing.

And then get screwed when IOS 6 comes out in 2 years?

Small White Car
Jun 8, 2011, 01:56 PM
What sensor data are they using for this?

Just a guess, but I bet all it's doing is the program knows to advance to the next question when you wake up the iPad from sleep.

I bet if you let it sit for 2 minutes until it goes to sleep you'd wake it up and get the next question.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 8, 2011, 01:58 PM
That is a clever idea.

Now another good idea wood be for an E-ink cover with a dock connector which allows the ipad to use the cover as an external monitor.

drewisanapple
Jun 8, 2011, 02:04 PM
This could bring a whole new ideal for developers. Is there an API with the smart cover magnets? In iOS 4.3 or iOS 5

nagromme
Jun 8, 2011, 02:05 PM
Itís a little goofy, but in a fun and harmless way.

I remember my studying days... anything that could make that more fun and harmless would have been welcome!

(You could as easily say a swoosh sound when a flashcard screen turns over is silly. Yes, itís an unnecessary extra. All you really ďneedĒ is some text. But fun, style and polish matter too. So, hereís a new option for "flash cards" that we didnít have yesterday!)

deannnnn
Jun 8, 2011, 02:05 PM
What a cool idea!! Too bad I have the iPad 1.

Sora
Jun 8, 2011, 02:06 PM
Very creative.

EricNau
Jun 8, 2011, 02:06 PM
I think it's a brilliant idea, but I wonder if there are any consequences to inflicting multiple short sleep/wake cycles on the iPad.

adztaylor
Jun 8, 2011, 02:10 PM
What a cool idea!! Too bad I have the iPad 1.

Ha same. But gotta admit that is pretty clever.

nagromme
Jun 8, 2011, 02:11 PM
Now I want to see an iPad game version of the old Parkay commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-LapXzYhag

Maybe in a doodle art style!

NeuralControl
Jun 8, 2011, 02:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think it's a great idea and I give the developers a lot of credit for coming up with something original. If I had an iPad I would definitely try this out as an additional study tool.

RMo
Jun 8, 2011, 02:32 PM
This seems fun right now, but in the long run I suspect it's more gimmicky than anything and certainly more awkward than pressing "Next" or swiping or whatever a no-Smart-Cover-needed alternative is.

gugy
Jun 8, 2011, 02:36 PM
interesting idea but is this technology helping students cheat on exams?....;)

macnisse
Jun 8, 2011, 02:38 PM
Brilliant idea and another reason to consider an iPad2 for the wish list :)

Surreal
Jun 8, 2011, 02:45 PM
Cute, but Mental Case does all of this other than the smart cover bit and the smart cover bit is the least necessary part of it.

This is not meant as a slight toward Evernote peek that they managed to do it is awesome and great for those who have a smart cover and want to use it for that, but Mental Case simply wont show you the answer until you tap an onscreen button. Same effect. It keeps track of whether or not you answered correctly and has various schedules to aid retention. There are actually a lot more apps with a similar workflow, many of them good. I just feel that Mental Case has done this well for some time.

I am in no way affiliated with Mental Case, I have simply used it for a while and dig it.

iCrizzo
Jun 8, 2011, 02:45 PM
That is brilliant.. if only I could have been born 10 years later!!!:D

kiljoy616
Jun 8, 2011, 02:46 PM
I like it, nice ideal don't you just love all the things people are coming up with, oh look there are some trolls in the forum who are mad that Android can't do this. ROFL. :D

kiljoy616
Jun 8, 2011, 02:48 PM
That is a clever idea.

Now another good idea wood be for an E-ink cover with a dock connector which allows the ipad to use the cover as an external monitor.

We are waiting for you to invent it and sell it to Apple. Please do hurry up and do this. :rolleyes:

Str8edgepunker
Jun 8, 2011, 02:56 PM
This is positively brilliant...

That is all.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 8, 2011, 02:57 PM
We are waiting for you to invent it and sell it to Apple. Please do hurry up and do this. :rolleyes:

I will.

Could you loan me $1,000,000 so that I can get started?

I need to retain some lawyers who will help file a patent and also some people in the business to help me build the prototype.

BornAgainMac
Jun 8, 2011, 03:16 PM
Lol thats stupid.

It is entertaining. Children and the elderly would like it.

reactions
Jun 8, 2011, 03:21 PM
... It's actually pretty clever.

someone chime in - but why couldn't one just utilize for screen realestate and tap a black box for the response rather than using the 'smart' cover which btw which much of the community uses.

TheRealTVGuy
Jun 8, 2011, 03:30 PM
I once used to play cricket using a book. All I needed to see where some page numbers and decide if it was a Six, a Four, a Single, a Double or Out. :P

This could be used for the same and provides a good feel for it.

Lol.

I love the comments from the Europeans :rolleyes:

TimTheEnchanter
Jun 8, 2011, 03:32 PM
Picture a thin Message Center window along that edge where you can just peak to see what you have along with time, date and temperature.

This also could be used for some great kids apps.

That said, it would be a limited market as not everyone has a smart cover or wants a smart cover.

It's very imaginative thinking!

TimTheEnchanter
Jun 8, 2011, 03:38 PM
I will.

Could you loan me $1,000,000 so that I can get started?

I need to retain some lawyers who will help file a patent and also some people in the business to help me build the prototype.

kickstarter.com
Get it going! It's actually a great idea.

PCClone
Jun 8, 2011, 03:56 PM
Are the haters jealous because they haven't had a single unique idea in their life?

JonAvalon
Jun 8, 2011, 04:04 PM
Hmm funny, I remember Alex Albrecht describing this exact type of concept when he thought what the smart cover did other than just being a cover on a episode of diggnation.

dccorona
Jun 8, 2011, 04:14 PM
couldnt you do the same thing with a piece of paper?

its clever, but doesnt really use the smart cover tech

szsiddiq
Jun 8, 2011, 05:00 PM
It's cool to see someone making use of these API's, but in this specific app, it doesn't add any new functionality. You can have no cover and have the app show you the answer when you tap.

California King
Jun 8, 2011, 05:05 PM
If only I had this app when I was making 200+ flashcards in Spanish class! lol

Vaco Deus
Jun 8, 2011, 05:49 PM
I think this is not only creative but a great idea!

If I had an iPad I'd totally use this for college

Halebopp
Jun 8, 2011, 05:50 PM
good concept but the smart cover sucks tremendously so the point is moot

Sofabutt
Jun 8, 2011, 05:50 PM
Lol thats stupid.

Memorizing stuff by rote is for idiots who didn't understand what they were studying in the first place. Hell yes it's stupid.

adambadamh
Jun 8, 2011, 06:19 PM
My guess is the smart cover is not really enabling much here and this could work even with a piece of paper covering the answer and pushing the on/off button. The reason this app works so well is that it is designed so that the question fits just within the first flap of the smart cover. The answer is already there when you turn it on though you have not yet revealed it. There are no smart cover APIs, the app just knows when the iPad has gone to sleep (because the cover was closed in this case) and can then advance the question.

oneofthesedaves
Jun 8, 2011, 06:36 PM
I can see the future regret of students now: "I studied all night and now my smart cover is coming apart where I kept bending it."

nsB
Jun 8, 2011, 07:12 PM
Cool App, even though it's simple, I think it's cool that companies are using new technology so quickly for useful apps. Keep it going devs!

NinjaHERO
Jun 8, 2011, 07:16 PM
That is awesome. What a clever and fun use for the cover.

motulist
Jun 8, 2011, 07:56 PM
Cute gimmick, but that's all it is - a gimmick. This offers absolutely no additional functionality that couldn't be provided by software that does as good a job or better at this same task. Simply make the app take up the full screen with a graphic of a cover that lays over the answer area, then flick your finger upwards on it to pull back the virtual cover.

As I said, it's a cute trick, but it offers no new additional functionality.

ntrigue
Jun 8, 2011, 09:03 PM
Quite brilliant! Origami flashcards :)

jlgolson
Jun 8, 2011, 11:37 PM
Cute gimmick, but that's all it is - a gimmick. This offers absolutely no additional functionality that couldn't be provided by software that does as good a job or better at this same task. Simply make the app take up the full screen with a graphic of a cover that lays over the answer area, then flick your finger upwards on it to pull back the virtual cover.

As I said, it's a cute trick, but it offers no new additional functionality.
Good thing it's free! You get what you pay for.

caspersoong
Jun 11, 2011, 09:24 AM
Nice! Now I feel like getting an iPad 2. Hopefully they make more like this.