PDA

View Full Version : Apple Appears Set to Support FaceTime Over 3G in iOS 5, But Will Carriers Follow Suit?

MacRumors
Jun 8, 2011, 01:58 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/apple-appears-set-to-support-facetime-over-3g-in-ios-5-but-will-carriers-follow-suit/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/facetime_cellular_dialog_box.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/facetime_cellular_dialog_box.jpg)
9 to 5 Mac reports (http://www.9to5mac.com/71240/facetime-looks-to-go-3g-in-ios-5-up-to-carriers-to-enable/) that one of its readers has passed along a screenshot of an iOS 5 dialog box suggesting that Apple is preparing to support FaceTime video calling over cellular networks with the new operating system set for release this fall.FaceTime Unavailable

Turn on cellular data or use Wi-Fi to use FaceTime.FaceTime has officially been limited to Wi-Fi on iOS devices since its debut last year, although users have been able to work around that limitation using either jailbreaking solutions or MiFi connectivity.

Official FaceTime support over cellular networks will almost certainly require individual carriers to also be on board in much the same way that carriers have needed to support Internet tethering and other features that have the potential to significantly increase demand on their networks.

Article Link: Apple Appears Set to Support FaceTime Over 3G in iOS 5, But Will Carriers Follow Suit? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/apple-appears-set-to-support-facetime-over-3g-in-ios-5-but-will-carriers-follow-suit/)

drewisanapple
Jun 8, 2011, 02:01 PM
Maybe this will throw off the iCloud streaming disappointment,

This is a nice addition if it goes through.

Consultant
Jun 8, 2011, 02:02 PM
Carriers should be fine. They already support other VoIP and video chat apps on iPhone over 3G.

hlfway2anywhere
Jun 8, 2011, 02:02 PM
AT&T will require a limited data plan. Just like tethering. Those of us with unlimited will be left out.

bb426
Jun 8, 2011, 02:06 PM
Hope so. Given the amount of people who have iPhones however may be the tipper. I hate not being able to FaceTime over 3G.... supposedly the new iPhone has access to "4G" (the faster 3G version), so I don't see a reason why carriers would have a huge problem accepting.

h1r0ll3r
Jun 8, 2011, 02:06 PM
Well, you can add FaceBreak to the list of DOA JB apps now.

drewisanapple
Jun 8, 2011, 02:07 PM
AT&T will require a limited data plan. Just like tethering. Those of us with unlimited will be left out.

AT&T and Verizon won't have unlimited plans when this comes to play.
T-Mobile may still have unlimited unless AT&T is successful.

hlfway2anywhere
Jun 8, 2011, 02:11 PM
AT&T and Verizon won't have unlimited plans when this comes to play.
T-Mobile may still have unlimited unless AT&T is successful.

AT&T already doesn't have unlimited data plans offered now. Which is why I said they will require those of us with them to downgrade to a limited plan. just like tethering.

bkj216
Jun 8, 2011, 02:11 PM
Given how many issues Apple tends to have with carriers, how long until they just branch off and offer their own service?

snax83
Jun 8, 2011, 02:12 PM
i would say this is a bug more than anything as I have just tested this on my iPhone 4 running iOS 5 and it only happens when the 3g is switched off as well as the cellular data. If you only turn off the cellular data then it asks you to connect to a Wi-Fi network and mentions nothing about turning on cellular data.

YHSUN
Jun 8, 2011, 02:13 PM
Has Apple encrypted Facetime communication yet?:confused:

Eduardo1971
Jun 8, 2011, 02:14 PM
AT&T already doesn't have unlimited data plans offered now. Which is why I said they will require those of us with them to downgrade to a limited plan. just like tethering.

As someone with an 'unlimited' AT&T iPhone data plan; I too, believe this is what AT&T might end up doing.

KindredMAC
Jun 8, 2011, 02:14 PM
FaceTime should be offered over 3G since you can FaceTime on an iPad2 hotspotted to an iPhone 4 already...

Ridiculous....

Richdmoore
Jun 8, 2011, 02:16 PM
3G FaceTime with the 4 gig limit via tethering will probably force me off of the unlimited plan. (I will have to make sure I use the wifi networks more in the future however......)

NinjaHERO
Jun 8, 2011, 02:18 PM
I doubt this will hog too much bandwidth. I can't see more than five or six people on Earth who actually enjoy holding their phone out at an uncomfortable angle just so they can face chat. :rolleyes:

ny3ranger
Jun 8, 2011, 02:20 PM
Why would they care provided they moved to tiered data plans already.

Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/apple-appears-set-to-support-facetime-over-3g-in-ios-5-but-will-carriers-follow-suit/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/facetime_cellular_dialog_box.jpg)

9 to 5 Mac reports (http://www.9to5mac.com/71240/facetime-looks-to-go-3g-in-ios-5-up-to-carriers-to-enable/) that one of its readers has passed along a screenshot of an iOS 5 dialog box suggesting that Apple is preparing to support FaceTime video calling over cellular networks with the new operating system set for release this fall.FaceTime has officially been limited to Wi-Fi on iOS devices since its debut last year, although users have been able to work around that limitation using either jailbreaking solutions or MiFi connectivity.

Official FaceTime support over cellular networks will almost certainly require individual carriers to also be on board in much the same way that carriers have needed to support Internet tethering and other features that have the potential to significantly increase demand on their networks.

Article Link: Apple Appears Set to Support FaceTime Over 3G in iOS 5, But Will Carriers Follow Suit? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/apple-appears-set-to-support-facetime-over-3g-in-ios-5-but-will-carriers-follow-suit/)

HelveticaNeue
Jun 8, 2011, 02:21 PM
Yay! Fido. Nice to see my carrier for once. Hopefully Rogers and Fido don't block this in Canada. They haven't denied us any of iOS's features yet so I'm not too worried. Especially since it will just eat up our already limited capped data. :(

Thunderhawks
Jun 8, 2011, 02:22 PM
Has Apple encrypted Facetime communication yet?:confused:

My face is always cryptic.

Thunderhawks
Jun 8, 2011, 02:25 PM
Maybe this will throw off the iCloud streaming disappointment,

This is a nice addition if it goes through.

Care to elaborate how big the disappointment was?

Press vs. users ?
Geeks on MR vs. average users?

FREE users vs. $ 25 users?

etc.etc.

Žalgiris
The situation with mobile internet in the US is really pathetic. Data plan for this, tada plan for that, want to tether pay more, more, more. For Christ sake it's data and if i bought 5 GB of data i don't give a damn and i will use it as i please (on a phone, on a computer, for video chats, for downloads, for what i need).

M. Malone
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Will iOS 5 support email based FaceTime on iPhone?

I use iPhone on a non FaceTime supporting carrier. Would be great if I can have FaceTime like on an iPod touch over email.

bushido
Jun 8, 2011, 02:31 PM
i wouldnt see any problem with that, every new android supports it here

iSimx
Jun 8, 2011, 02:32 PM
I HOPE this is true. I need a backup for cellular video on Skype now that probably Microsoft plan to do things it with it...

Ti-tanic
Jun 8, 2011, 02:32 PM
The question is do those carriers even have a choice to bargain with Apple, after iPhone's success and thus marginalizing those telecomm co.

Tethering was blocked as well when Apple had the tech to do it well, but later on it became available on 4.3.
A similar issue will probably happen to sim card. Soon all those "activation fees" will be charged by Apple rather than AT&T

powaking
Jun 8, 2011, 02:38 PM
Why would carriers even care. The more data you use on the limited plans then the more you will pay them when you go over. I don't think AT&T is really concerned if you use less than 2gb or more. If you use more you pay more. Its more $$ in their pocket. You can use Skype and Yahoo messenger to do video calling so I can't see this being any different.

pdjudd
Jun 8, 2011, 02:41 PM
Tethering was blocked as well when Apple had the tech to do it well, but later on it became available on 4.3.

Actually it was available sometime with OS 3.0 I believe.

diamond.g
Jun 8, 2011, 02:42 PM
Why would FaceTime need carrier approval when Skype, Fring, NimBuzz, etc already allow video chats over 3G?

pdjudd
Jun 8, 2011, 02:43 PM
Why would FaceTime need carrier approval when Skype, Fring, NimBuzz, etc already allow video chats over 3G?
Becasue, they are using pure data - Facetime utilizes carrier voice networks to initiate the call on iPhones.

something3153
Jun 8, 2011, 02:51 PM
The question is do those carriers even have a choice to bargain with Apple, after iPhone's success and thus marginalizing those telecomm co.

A similar issue will probably happen to sim card. Soon all those "activation fees" will be charged by Apple rather than AT&T

It's not nearly the power dynamic you want to think. The iPhone isn't particularly useful without the carriers, who were around before it.

42streetsdown
Jun 8, 2011, 02:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I use iPhone on a non FaceTime supporting carrier. Would be great if I can have FaceTime like on an iPod touch over email.

over email? what?

Jun 8, 2011, 02:52 PM
Facetime will never be a success without working on 3G - either people can reach me anytime or it is pointless ... so I hope this is true - especially that now that I gave up hope for a true iPad client of Skype due to the Microsoft ownership.

cwwilson
Jun 8, 2011, 02:54 PM
Wow, this absolutely would be huge if it were true.

Jun 8, 2011, 02:54 PM

yes it will work with email (just like the desktop facetime app)

diamond.g
Jun 8, 2011, 02:55 PM
Becasue, they are using pure data - Facetime utilizes carrier voice networks to initiate the call on iPhones.

But it would switch over to data, and if you facetime with an email address (which is required to facetime with anything that isn't a iPhone4) you would be pure data as well...

42streetsdown
Jun 8, 2011, 02:57 PM
Why would carriers even care. The more data you use on the limited plans then the more you will pay them when you go over. I don't think AT&T is really concerned if you use less than 2gb or more. If you use more you pay more. Its more $$ in their pocket. You can use Skype and Yahoo messenger to do video calling so I can't see this being any different.

i think it has to do with them trying to maintain their quality of service without having to upgrade and maintain their network hardware. if they can limit traffic they don't have to build to maintain larger amounts of traffic.

Jun 8, 2011, 02:57 PM
Given how many issues Apple tends to have with carriers, how long until they just branch off and offer their own service?

Where can I sign up for it? Can we start some petition for that?

The carriers these days are dinosaurs from the past - they just stand in the way of new technologies and try to suck as much money out of you with limited investment in new technology.

Kariya
Jun 8, 2011, 03:03 PM

Did people seriously think FaceTime wouldn't work on 3G eventually?...i mean the big man himself promised it when he announced it.

GregA
Jun 8, 2011, 03:06 PM
Carriers should be fine. They already support other VoIP and video chat apps on iPhone over 3G.

I hope that Facetime has a "low bandwidth" version though.

I've used Skype and Facetime over low bandwidth connections and Skype works FAR FAR better. However, when you've got the bandwidth, Facetime looks better.

ThunderSkunk
Jun 8, 2011, 03:14 PM
Good. I'm glad. I'm glad Apple is starting to just show the features our mobile devices could have, if our carriers didn't completely suck in their quest to provide the least amount of service for the most money. Shifts the blame of this stuff to where it is due.

So much for free market capitalism providing the best consumer bah blah blah

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 8, 2011, 03:16 PM
Why do the carriers have to be on board?

Daveoc64
Jun 8, 2011, 03:17 PM
But it would switch over to data, and if you facetime with an email address (which is required to facetime with anything that isn't a iPhone4) you would be pure data as well...

You are correct.

FaceTime on an iPod touch clearly doesn't use a voice call to start things off!

Daveoc64
Jun 8, 2011, 03:18 PM
Why do the carriers have to be on board?

Purely because Apple panders to them with things like this.

Apple restricts their devices so that you can only do certain things if your carrier says you can.

TheRealTVGuy
Jun 8, 2011, 03:22 PM

This is actually a GOOD thing. I'm getting a chuckle out of the comments lamenting the fact that some jailbreaks will now be useless. This goes to show that the users have spoken, and some of the features that we want badly (tethering on AT&T, using the Volume Up button as a camera shutter button, FaceTime over the cellular connection, iMessages, a better notification system etc.) are now legally coming to iOS.

If you're a developer of some of these kinds of previously "illegal" software, this should be considered a victory!

8CoreWhore
Jun 8, 2011, 03:30 PM
You can NOW video Skype without the carriers saying a effffing word about it so why should this be any different??

chevy57
Jun 8, 2011, 03:37 PM
FaceTime video quality is more clearly than Tango, Skype, ooVoo, etc...

fabianjj
Jun 8, 2011, 03:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't want "FaceTime 3G support" I want the phone to stop treating wifi and cellular connections differently altogether!

Force10
Jun 8, 2011, 03:49 PM

Apple have been rumored to have been looking at a model where they buy airtime in bulk from all the carriers and set themselves up as a MVNO. Part of this was the sim-less phone that they were looking at last year.
The idea her is you just buy call/data when you need it from whoever has the best coverage where you are.

This was met with a revolt from the carriers in Europe who left it woul take away their "direct relationship with their customer" or "control"

Still might happen in some form

teonz
Jun 8, 2011, 03:50 PM
Interestingly, I tried this on my iPad2 running iOS 5 and I didn't receive such error when I tried to connect via 3G to a FaceTime call.

Force10
Jun 8, 2011, 03:51 PM
Actually it was available sometime with OS 3.0 I believe.

Depends where you were in the world - it was available on the 3GS in Europe but not on AT&T until much later

bb426
Jun 8, 2011, 04:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't want "FaceTime 3G support" I want the phone to stop treating wifi and cellular connections differently altogether!

Same here.

I'd also like to be able to download apps over 20 megs... at least up the limit to 30 or 40. Or, even better, give the option to only warn the user and not block them from doing so (in the parental controls/restrictions menu!). We pay for the service, we should be able to use it.

It's annoying to see my friend on Verizon video call someone right next to me, while I sit with my higher-priced paperweight, at the moment.

chevy57
Jun 8, 2011, 04:05 PM
Some rumor said Apple may be waiting on an improved iPhone before turning on FaceTime. Like iOS 5, the next iPhone is expected to ship in the fall. While it's unlikely to support LTE, it may support HSPA+ speeds up to 21Mbps, which would make 3G-level video calling more practical. Streaming video tends to degrade over regular HSPA, which has real-world bandwidth closer to between 1 and 3Mbps.

NedBookPro
Jun 8, 2011, 04:17 PM
This is great news if it happens. Being able to Facetime over 3G is the only missing thing from a great app.

Being able to see the one you love while on the road when there's no wi-fi, even if it's only for a couple of minutes, would be great.

C'mon Apple. Make it happen!

yocko
Jun 8, 2011, 04:25 PM
this specific issue ignited a parliamentary debate here in Holland, because Vodafone and another provider were running deep packet inspection DPI in order to find out who was using Skype and Whatsapp... The providers then wanted to charge extra for use of those apps... then a heavy debate followed, parlement declared it undesirable, and now we are the second country in the world where netneutrality (no different fees for different use of data) is guaranteed by law.
Vodafone now wants to charge companies like apple and google for making machine that use a lot of data.... lol... well, good luck with that.
Providers act like little princesses whose milk cows are being taken away...
But i have the feeling too, that once iphone 5 comes out iphone sim locking might be something of the past. Apple has penetrated the various markets well enough now, so locking their phones seems rather pointless... In most european countries they are sold unlocked now... and since they dominate most of the US market, especially since the AT&T T-Mobile takeover, it would not surprise me at all if the open that market too...
Providers: look at the record companies and shiver... you're up next :-)

ateslik
Jun 8, 2011, 04:48 PM
As someone with an 'unlimited' AT&T iPhone data plan; I too, believe this is what AT&T might end up doing.

Is anyone else tired of 'unlimited' being so LIMITED?!? I'm paying for data, and anything that is data should be fair game - INCLUDING FACETIME.

Let me know when the class action lawsuit gets started...

japanime
Jun 8, 2011, 05:07 PM
I doubt this would ever be allowed in Japan. Softbank — the lone official iPhone carrier here — doesn't even provide the tethering service.

bretm
Jun 8, 2011, 05:13 PM

Well they haven't asked me to downgrade with skype and tango. And I watch Netflix all the time. No complaints from ATT.

littleebo356
Jun 8, 2011, 05:27 PM

3g video calling has been going on for years n years (well in the uk anyway), and on some phones the quality has been quite good.

cvaldes
Jun 8, 2011, 05:31 PM
This is great news if it happens. Being able to Facetime over 3G is the only missing thing from a great app.

Being able to see the one you love while on the road when there's no wi-fi, even if it's only for a couple of minutes, would be great.

C'mon Apple. Make it happen!
It's not really Apple's call. It's the carriers.

Same thing with visual voicemail. Not all mobile operators support this feature.

manu chao
Jun 8, 2011, 05:46 PM

You want them to treat fast and slow connections equally? Skype over 3G can be chancy and is pretty borderline of Edge.

res1233
Jun 8, 2011, 06:04 PM
The only reason they blocked tethering is because computers are generally even more data intensive than phones are. I really don't see why this would be a problem. The real question is why Apple took so long to get 3G FaceTime. As others have pointed out, Skype is just far more convenient due to it working on 3G, leaving FaceTime for the occasional high quality conversation when you happen to BOTH be near Wi-Fi.

I firmly believe that the carriers will someday stop placing limits on 3G. Personally, I'd be okay with a slightly bogged down network, if it meant I could use it 24/7 non-stop without having to worry about a cap.

Oh yah, and knowing Apple, I bet they have their own cellular network in the works. Carriers are just too annoying, and seem to do nothing but cause trouble for them. Perhaps Apple could buy an existing one?

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 8, 2011, 06:13 PM
Where can I sign up for it? Can we start some petition for that?

The carriers these days are dinosaurs from the past - they just stand in the way of new technologies and try to suck as much money out of you with limited investment in new technology.

Hahaha...

Sorry but you made me laugh there. :D

cvaldes
Jun 8, 2011, 06:18 PM
Oh yah, and knowing Apple, I bet they have their own cellular network in the works. Carriers are just too annoying, and seem to do nothing but cause trouble for them. Perhaps Apple could buy an existing one?
It is unlikely that Apple would ever run a cellular network.

Apple considers mobile operators and ISPs to be dumb pipes, a utility like the garbage collection company.

eNcrypTioN
Jun 8, 2011, 06:42 PM

I agree. They will make more money.

marc11
Jun 8, 2011, 06:44 PM
The situation with mobile internet in the US is really pathetic. Data plan for this, tada plan for that, want to tether pay more, more, more. For Christ sake it's data and if i bought 5 GB of data i don't give a damn and i will use it as i please (on a phone, on a computer, for video chats, for downloads, for what i need).

+100000 on this. I am in Japan now, I pay about $40 for unlimited data, plus free incoming calls and free outgoing between 1 AM and 9 PM. Unlimited means unlimited, I Skype (video) back home to NY over cell all the time, I download apps, listen to music, stream video, send tons of emails and msgs, all for $40 a month and most times its damn fast.

The greed and pathetic lack of reinvestment (despite what they say) into their own networks by the cell companies is pathetic....I am sure ATT will say this will kill the network, HA like that network isn’t half dead anyway and has been like that since as long as I can remember. Since back in 2000 or earlier ATT was dropping most of my calls, what has improved?

toddybody
Jun 8, 2011, 06:50 PM
Of course theyll agree...more and more people will find their "higher tiered" 2GB plan a necessity. Gosh I hate mobile providers.

kppolich
Jun 8, 2011, 08:53 PM
facetime is at the bottom of the voice chat realm if you ask me. shaky service over wifi, im sure it wont get better over 3G, while my skype has worked flawlessly over 3G since February when i picked up my veriphone 4.

cleric
Jun 8, 2011, 09:06 PM
I like how data demand keeps increasing ( a lot with iCloud) and data allowance keeps decreasing or at minimum cost is increasing.

SAIRUS
Jun 8, 2011, 10:42 PM
Hmm I'm keeping my unlimited plan. AT&T can take it from me when they let be CEO.

(1st orders of business: All phones can be unlocked, standardize cell frequencies, LTE the country, bring back unlimited*, push for reform on cell phone tower installation, secret wish**)

(*practical way is to place speed caps, keeping the network strong. as the network improves, speed caps go up).

(**BUY VERIZON AND SPRINT, then merge all into one network and then allow companies to actually compete for business. Make govt 50/50 partner to take care of debt and allow monopoly)

Žalgiris
Jun 9, 2011, 03:01 AM
The only reason they blocked tethering is because computers are generally even more data intensive than phones are.

What difference does it make if (for example) i have bought a fixed amount of data? If i have 5 or 10 GB to use what difference does it make what device i'm using?

It's a huge problem, because mainly it's just an excuse for a carrier to rip off some more money for things you already payed in the first place.

For example a 3G internet plan for computers: http://www.omnitel.lt/privatiems/internetas/internetas-kompiuteryje/mokejimo-planai/49559

Wimax: http://www.mezon.lt/isigyk/planai/cat/69/

Basically what it says there is that for 55 LTL (that's under 25 USD) you get 10 GB a month for use between 8:00 and 00:00 the rest of the time you can stream and download non-stop if you want.

Speed is around 3 Mbps, but in some paces it goes up to 6-7 Mbps also 4G is available in biggest cities already (speeds up to 80 Mbps). We also have Wimax all country covered (10 Mbps A REALLY UNLIMITED INTERNET for 69 LTL or ~30 USD).

logandzwon
Jun 9, 2011, 06:41 AM
It is unlikely that Apple would ever run a cellular network.

Apple considers mobile operators and ISPs to be dumb pipes, a utility like the garbage collection company.

Steve Jobs had mentioned that at first they did consider building a cell network, but decided against it.

Utilities like mobile operators and ISPs are just selling dumb pipes. Anything else from them is just marketing and branding.

jonnysods
Jun 9, 2011, 07:57 AM
It's already choppy enough on wi-fi. I haven't had a good experience using it yet.

maclaptop
Jun 9, 2011, 08:01 AM
The carriers need to tell Apple to buzz off.

Corban987
Jun 10, 2011, 02:32 AM
About time, now I do not need to jailbreak my phone, this is the primary reason my phone is jailbroken. (The other is for the calendar on my lockscreen)

To everyone that says you get poor quality - that's you, I get perfect quality over 3G and its not much worse than over wifi. Just because your carrier can't provide good speeds in your area doesn't mean the rest of us should suffer. Your conditions are not what the rest of the world gets.
I facetime from Australia to Korea on 3G both ends with no problems so for me this is great news because we can call family for free overseas anywhere at anytime.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Jun 10, 2011, 09:06 AM
im jailbroken and use FaceBreak to FaceTime over 3G and love it, it works great!!!

dont see the difference between this and Skype or Tango

Maku
Jun 10, 2011, 11:50 AM
How do the carriers actually block such things like FaceTime over 3G?)

caspersoong
Jun 11, 2011, 09:26 AM
That should be disabled for slow networks such as in certain ASEAN Countries like mine.