PDA

View Full Version : Cupertino Certain to Approve Apple's Spaceship Campus

MacRumors
Jun 9, 2011, 04:14 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/09/cupertino-certain-to-approve-apples-spaceship-campus/)

8FEwHk9Ap7I
The City of Cupertino has responded to Apple's stunning new campus (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/steve-jobs-pitches-cupertino-on-new-apple-campus/) proposal. In the statement, Cupertino Mayor Gilbert Wong states "there is no chance we are saying no" to the new Apple campus. Apple proposal will still have to go through an environmental and a public hearing, but Wong says they are willing to bring on more staff to accommodate the process.

Apple's Steve Jobs spoke (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/steve-jobs-pitches-cupertino-on-new-apple-campus/) to the Cupertino City Council earlier this week about the new 4-story building which is expected to be completed in 2015. Jobs described it as a spaceship-like structure that will be able to hold 12,000 employees. Jobs also focused on the positive impact of the new campus which will increase the number of trees and landscaping.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/ShowImage.aspx_-500x270.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/ShowImage.aspx_.jpeg)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/ShowImage-1.aspx_-500x283.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/ShowImage-1.aspx_.jpeg)
Progress of the project can be followed at Cupertino.org/apple (http://www.cupertino.org/apple) where they've also posted a PDF (http://www.cupertino.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=4676) of Jobs' presentation slides.

Article Link: Cupertino Certain to Approve Apple's Spaceship Campus (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/09/cupertino-certain-to-approve-apples-spaceship-campus/)

talkingfuture
Jun 9, 2011, 04:19 AM
Good news, should be a very impressive facility when it is complete. It will probably make SPECTRE look like amateurs at building hi tech HQ's!

arkitect
Jun 9, 2011, 04:22 AM
Was there ever any doubt?

And why is this considered Page One? It hardly warrants a fresh article… Couldn't you just tack it on to the bottom of the previous article?

stephenc92
Jun 9, 2011, 04:22 AM
I dare you to count the number of times Gilbert Wong says "uh."

adom
Jun 9, 2011, 04:25 AM
This gets more and more cringe-worthy than the first video posted. Is it me, or do the council members for this city seem not fit for public speaking?

I mean, I've seen people aged 16 have more confidence and structure to a presentation!

adztaylor
Jun 9, 2011, 04:33 AM
Not surprised the way they were fawning over him. Grovel city.

KandyKane
Jun 9, 2011, 04:36 AM
Less parking? Or do they mean multistory parking now?

Icaras
Jun 9, 2011, 04:43 AM
This gets more and more cringe-worthy than the first video posted. Is it me, or do the council members for this city seem not fit for public speaking?

I mean, I've seen people aged 16 have more confidence and structure to a presentation!

I don't think he wasn't confident, but I do agree with structure and I see what you're trying to say.

This guy also really loves to NOT answer questions and side step them altogether. Most of his answers seemed hardly related to the questions asked. Actually, something about his tone makes me want to chuckle when he speaks lol.

rdlink
Jun 9, 2011, 04:44 AM
The guy is reading off of a prepared statement, presumably. Yet he can't say three words without throwing in an "uh", and he repeats himself over and over. If I were a resident of Cupertino I would be embarrassed to admit this guy ever got elected.

Lesser Evets
Jun 9, 2011, 04:45 AM
They'd be fools not to. This will become one of the world's most iconic buildings while allowing more workers and business to come to Cupertino.

d0minick
Jun 9, 2011, 04:46 AM
Anybody familiar with California and underground parking?

Is it allowed? I thought, due to earthquakes, that something like that would be banned from the state. Any thoughts?

ChristianJapan
Jun 9, 2011, 04:49 AM
Watching the PDF file: impressive ... And nice little "give back" to environment, new trees, less sealing of surface, good way to spend money.

Mercury
Jun 9, 2011, 04:51 AM

Is it allowed? I thought, due to earthquakes, that something like that would be banned from the state. Any thoughts?

Seriously?

saggyhaggis
Jun 9, 2011, 05:00 AM
The proposals look pretty impressive, its almost like something out of the Thunderbirds (original tv series, not the crappy blockbuster).

Steve however is looking really frail and seemed to be quite breathless throughout his presentation. I do wonder if building work does go ahead as planned that he will be here to enjoy it.

Michael383
Jun 9, 2011, 05:00 AM
When this building is complete it will become a tourist attraction. I might even go and see it.

Thex1138
Jun 9, 2011, 05:32 AM
Engage... :D

pianomann
Jun 9, 2011, 05:41 AM
Interesting bloke, he must be the first American that i've heard have public speaking issues. That was a shameful effort! Once its built I recon it may warrant a trip to the US to have a closer look. Hopefully the Australian dollar is still hovering around its present rate in 2015 :D

Cheerwino
Jun 9, 2011, 05:42 AM
Excellent Thex1138!

Microsoft responds with its own design:

http://media.moddb.com/images/downloads/1/15/14874/BorgCube.JPG

iMacx
Jun 9, 2011, 05:49 AM
when I saw this heading i was like, "ya, no ****!" oh ya, did i mention: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

costmo
Jun 9, 2011, 05:54 AM
Excellent Thex1138!

Microsoft responds with its own design:

Image (http://media.moddb.com/images/downloads/1/15/14874/BorgCube.JPG)

Ooooh. It floats in the air exactly like a brick doesn't!

BornAgainMac
Jun 9, 2011, 06:12 AM

That was my first thought. But regardless if it is a tall parking structure or a basement of multiple levels, people will not make it if it collapses.

iStudentUK
Jun 9, 2011, 06:14 AM
Ooooh. It floats in the air exactly like a brick doesn't!

There's a frood who really knows where his towel is!

The building does look pretty damn awesome. :eek:

scottness
Jun 9, 2011, 06:22 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone Dark: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)

There's tons of underground parking in Japan... Earthquakes have yet to present a problem for underground parking.

Winni
Jun 9, 2011, 06:54 AM
They'd be fools not to. This will become one of the world's most iconic buildings while allowing more workers and business to come to Cupertino.

Apple's plans for their new HQ are very impressive, and I'm sure that this building will be nothing but awesome. But still, it is just an office building of a company that sells consumer products, and if an office building is described as "iconic", I can't help myself to think that we live in a sad and shallow time.

ErikCLDR
Jun 9, 2011, 07:00 AM
No parking?

rkmac
Jun 9, 2011, 07:03 AM
Oh wow, he is definitely no Steve Jobs. Then again, Steve never takes questions...
Soooo many mistakes and non-answers. Quite hard to follow his meaning.
At least he is bending over backwards for Apple.
34,000 Apple Employees in the area definitely makes them want to keep Apple.

SactoGuy18
Jun 9, 2011, 07:04 AM
Best thing about the new building proposal: lots of greenery around the bulidings, especially the apricot trees on-site much of the campus could actually become a working farm.

Now, let's hope Apple will install SAE J1772 standard electric car chargers in some of the parking spots so it would encourage employees to drive electric cars and/or plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV's) to work. (Just about every electric car and PHEV now on sale in the USA or soon arriving sport J1772 charging connectors.)

ChristianJapan
Jun 9, 2011, 07:06 AM
No parking?

Watch the video, read the PDF: parking mainly underneath; some few slots above ground.

musefreek
Jun 9, 2011, 07:07 AM
holy crap, that guy is actually the mayor of a city? just... wow... :/

lord patton
Jun 9, 2011, 07:20 AM
"Lloyd!"

Sora
Jun 9, 2011, 07:29 AM
I never doubted they would be anything less than "accommodating". The poor mayor was so flustered with excitement he couldn't even unlock his iPad during Q&A.

Hattig
Jun 9, 2011, 07:37 AM
They better make the whole building slowly revolve around the centre, so that workers get a changing view!

macnisse
Jun 9, 2011, 07:47 AM
As expected.

alphaod
Jun 9, 2011, 07:49 AM
I'd hate to be the guy who has to arrange all the furniture. Angled rooms are already a headache; I can't imagine working in wheel wedge shaped rooms.

holy crap, that guy is actually the mayor of a city? just... wow... :/
Cupertino has over 50% Asian demographics

duffer6
Jun 9, 2011, 07:58 AM
I dare you to count the number of times Gilbert Wong says "uh."

I know right. I think he was star struck. Doesn't he remind you of Ari's assistant from Entourage.

duffer6
Jun 9, 2011, 08:01 AM

Plenty of underground parking. Very pricey since it will be fitted for earthquake movement. I would rather be in an modern underground parking structure vs these newer 5 story parking garages that feel like they could topple over at any moment.

Dcuellar
Jun 9, 2011, 08:08 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I love how Apple has tried it's best over the years to be environmentally friendly. Most companies simply do not care.

mcmlxix
Jun 9, 2011, 08:10 AM
Cupertino has over 50% Asian demographics I don't think the guy you were responding to questioned Wong's mayoral credentials due to his Asian heritage, but rather because he's a bumbling, fawning, fool.

DavidLeblond
Jun 9, 2011, 08:12 AM
Cupertino: "So you want to build a new campus, whats in it for us?"
Jobs: "Uh... we pay taxes?"
Cupertino: "How about free Wi-Fi?"
Jobs: "How about no?"
Cupertino: "Ok, how about an Apple Retail Store?"
Jobs: "In this po-dunk town? Fat chance!"

jonnysods
Jun 9, 2011, 08:12 AM
Man that building is going to be amazing!

rowanmwilliams
Jun 9, 2011, 08:15 AM
Apple's plans for their new HQ are very impressive, and I'm sure that this building will be nothing but awesome. But still, it is just an office building of a company that sells consumer products, and if an office building is described as "iconic", I can't help myself to think that we live in a sad and shallow time.

The Empire State Building, World Trade Center, Sears Tower, St Mary Axe (cucumber building), Burj Khalifa (even though it is mixed use it does provide office space) just to name a few iconic office buildings.

jaw04005
Jun 9, 2011, 08:15 AM
"Lloyd!"

I thought the same thing.

RedRaven571
Jun 9, 2011, 08:20 AM
Apple has unveiled the working name for the new facility is "The Hive"; there will be 107 floors below ground for research....:D

Muskyman
Jun 9, 2011, 08:21 AM
Now if they just take a little chunk out of the side, and put a stem at the top...

Howardchief
Jun 9, 2011, 08:24 AM
Signed on just to say how terrible this guy is. What a bad public speaker. He's making up words. He evades every question. He sounds so buddy-buddy with Steve instead of a leader of the people who elected him. There's no grave concern with losing Apple to Mountain View, so quit trying to stick in Steve. And I didn't know Apple bought HP :confused:

I'd rather have Kwame Kilpatrick as my mayor than this failed civic theater hack.

Anyway. I love this idea. I know I'd never go there but I'd do so much for a tour of this place when it's finished. In 15-20 it will have some of the best landscaping in corporate America. What a turnaround for Ma Earth.

Howardchief
Jun 9, 2011, 08:29 AM
Engage... :D

I would have chosen ncc-1701-e, but thumbs up anyway! :D

toddybody
Jun 9, 2011, 08:33 AM
If they have half a brain they'll approve building plans ASAP. Gosh those council members pissed me off.

SeanMcg
Jun 9, 2011, 08:46 AM
...Anyway. I love this idea. I know I'd never go there but I'd do so much for a tour of this place when it's finished. In 15-20 it will have some of the best landscaping in corporate America. What a turnaround for Ma Earth.

If he takes a hint from his pals at Disney, Jobs will get some trees started ahead of time in accelerated growing facilities and/or transplant trees that are more mature.

RE: the Apple Store in Cupertino - I don't doubt that Jobs is right concerning the market, however, IIRC, the Infinite Loop campus at one time (still?) had a gift shop. If this new building does become a tourist attraction, maybe a store could end up there again.

If you haven't worked in a building this big laterally, it might seem odd. But if designed correctly, it can work well. That council member was asking about safety (like no one ever thought about it). I'd rather be working in a 4 story huge circular building holding 10-12,00 people than a skyscraper that holds the same population.

mcmlxix
Jun 9, 2011, 08:50 AM
If they have half a brain they'll approve building plans ASAP. Gosh those council members pissed me off.Well naturally it will have to go through environmental impact and code review to get permitted, but I doubt there will be any show stopping issues. I'm even sure Councilman Chang's bizarre concern over fire safety was already addressed by the architects. :rolleyes:

Traffic could very well be the largest issue, but this won't be built on virgin land. HP probably contributed to traffic in advance of Apple. I can see residents being put out that the project will close Pruneridge between Wolfe and Tantau, which would adversely affect traffic.

janstett
Jun 9, 2011, 09:03 AM
At the end they grovelled for an Apple Store in Cupertino but Steve said there just isn't the traffic.

Why not move the employee store to the fringe of the campus and open it to the public? (I guess there are certain things therein which aren't sold to the public).

I'm not an architecture student or anything but I am an engineer and appreciate industrial design. I've felt that we haven't really embraced beautiful building design since the Art Deco era (Chrysler Building and Empire State Building, for example).

Since the mass production pre-produced ways of WW II and beyond, I feel we don't build things that are built to last and we don't put craftsmanship into our products and it's reflected in architecture. And no, I'm not a fan of transporter-accident designs like the LA opera house or Bilbao museum in Spain. When you look at Victorian homes you see all kinds of detailing; when you look at old buildings in NYC you see gargoyles and other details; anything modern is mass-produced and non-detailed.

I've seen a lot of corporate HQs and I kind of like this. Apple is innovating and the design is, typically, clean.

RawBert
Jun 9, 2011, 09:09 AM
Wait, is that Arn?
;)

maclaptop
Jun 9, 2011, 09:23 AM
Not surprised the way they were fawning over him. Grovel city.

Even the tree huggers sat on their ass & let this project slip thru. A very rare and unheard of exception in the region.

This outta inflate the CEO's ego sufficiently. At least for a few days.

What environmental impact report?

Oh crap that damn shredder ate it.

Now all Apple needs is a life size Disney Animatronics Replica of Steve, and they're set for the next three decades.

frenchroast
Jun 9, 2011, 09:28 AM
Little do people know about the future plans for the surrounding J, B, and S buildings.

redAPPLE
Jun 9, 2011, 09:30 AM
know what disturbs me? the pdf has this "crappy" pictures. i thought the reason the slides looked crappy, was because of video quality.

where those pictures planned to be seen with 3d glasses?

d0minick
Jun 9, 2011, 09:32 AM
Seriously?

I wouldn't have asked the question. But thank you, for contributing nothing.

How is that a bad question. Underground parking in a state riddled with tremors and earthquakes. I don't live there.

I think a glass house here in Miami would be a issue. And if someone asked I'd answer.

Thanks though, for your remarkably excellent contribution.

Michael73
Jun 9, 2011, 09:34 AM
I wonder how tightly people are going to be crowded into this building? After all, the pdf says that employees numbers will go up by 40% but space is only increasing by 20%. Either they aren't at full capacity now or they take the view that putting people in a close environment makes for better collaboration.

Second, is it me or do other people find it interesting that according to the plan, R&D (Johnny Ive & Co.) have their own buildings? I've worked at a couple of companies that have high-end security but they didn't necessarily have separate R&D facilitates, they just had all sorts of security protocols and now biometric authentication to get into sensitive areas. I'm surprised they didn't just label the three R&D buildings as Area 51 :)

G4DP
Jun 9, 2011, 09:39 AM
Oh look, shiny shiny.

It's a giant glass doughnut. Nothing special or iconic about it. Not even an original design

Sydney Opera House, The Tower of London, The Taj Mahal are iconic buildings. not something that would have been more in place in the 1980's.

It's only got 100's of trees around it to cut some of the carbon created to heat a giant green house.

vartanarsen
Jun 9, 2011, 09:40 AM
This looks exactly like something that would be in Final Fantasy.

Also, i have a suggestion ;) a retractrable cover over the courtyard for rainy days (like a convertable car). Finally, on top of the retractable dome would be a huge Apple:)))

TallManNY
Jun 9, 2011, 09:49 AM
Nice. 9,500 employees currently and and 9,800 above ground parking places. How about a few public bus stops? That would be a heck of a lot more green than putting parking underground (though I really support underground parking).

As for ragging on the politicians, these guys aren't superstars. They are just normal small town community leaders. You should expect them to get flustered. That is what happens to normal people. Exceptional and very smart people can't get elected in places like that (or in many places in the U.S.) because the voters find those folks elitist.

bigcat318
Jun 9, 2011, 09:49 AM
Has anyone seen a better quality version of his presentation available? The PDF linked on this article is really blurry. Looks like it was just photos taken of the slides.

mcmlxix
Jun 9, 2011, 09:54 AM
Nice. 9,500 employees currently and and 9,800 above ground parking places. How about a few public bus stops? That would be a heck of a lot more green than putting parking underground (though I really support underground parking).When Steve made his presentation, he said that Apple already runs its own commuter bus service. If Santa Clara County thinks it needs better transit for its residents, then that’s their responsibility.

frankjl
Jun 9, 2011, 09:56 AM
First they built their government.

Now they are building their pentagon.

Does take a genius to see where apple is heading with all this.

Nothlit
Jun 9, 2011, 09:59 AM
Traffic could very well be the largest issue, but this won't be built on virgin land. HP probably contributed to traffic in advance of Apple. I can see residents being put out that the project will close Pruneridge between Wolfe and Tantau, which would adversely affect traffic.

It's not clear from the slides, but it looks like they may be proposing to build a tunnel for Pruneridge under the campus, between the parking garage and the main building.

Cheerwino
Jun 9, 2011, 10:03 AM
Parking will be in The Cloud.

palmerc2
Jun 9, 2011, 10:03 AM

How is that a bad question. Underground parking in a state riddled with tremors and earthquakes. I don't live there.

I think a glass house here in Miami would be a issue. And if someone asked I'd answer.

Contrary to popular belief, earthquakes aren't that bad here. Sure there's a big one every decade but that's it....just like there's big hurricanes every 10 years in Florida. I'm sure part of their plan is having shock absorbers on the bottom of the parking lot. If you want to look into it, all the skyscrapers in downtown Los Angeles have them, so the building sways the opposite way of the motion of the quake. I do admit, there is only so much technology can do when a big quake happens, and I just know the big one is around the corner. We haven't had one in a long time now.

farmboy
Jun 9, 2011, 10:10 AM
I'd hate to be the guy who has to arrange all the furniture. Angled rooms are already a headache; I can't imagine working in wheel wedge shaped rooms.

This is a pretty big building, and the exterior wall arcs would be pretty shallow. Furniture arrangement shouldn't be an issue.

carlgo
Jun 9, 2011, 10:10 AM
All this gushing over curved glass, like it was a new thing...ever see those construction shows where they build structures in Dubai, etc? Those buildings are vastly more complex and difficult with really complex glass work.

No solar?

It would have been more impressive to refurbish one of those abandoned brick and iron work industrial centers. More difficult, but more useful.

Oh, or they could actually make stuff there...just kidding Foxcon.

acslater017
Jun 9, 2011, 10:12 AM

Well Americans don't really have huge cathedrals or 1,000 year-old palaces. They have wonderful natural wonders (Grand Canyon, Yosemite) and wonderful man-made structures.

What is the Golden Gate Bridge but a highway between San Francisco and Marin? The Empire State Building is just an office building, like the World Trade Center was. Transamerica Pyramid, Sears Tower, etc.

It'll be iconic because it's a beautiful design from a familiar American company. Not because it's culturally significant, historic, etc.

drewisanapple
Jun 9, 2011, 10:20 AM
I have to say, if you're concerned there's a hard task of going from one side to the other, what's to say there isn't an underground level, or the first floor, that has easy of that, and the courtyard starts above the first floor, it's not to terribly hard to see.

But even if not, it'd be harder to snake between the current HP buildings to visit departments each day. The uniform design is outstanding.

satcomer
Jun 9, 2011, 10:31 AM
I thought two things when I first saw the pdf presentation. The first is they just took the idea of the Pentagon and just rounded the design. The second is they were sitting around the breakfast table and someone had a donut out and that inspired them. :eek:

However in 1,2 3 the greenies will come out of wild with the idea of asking Apple where the solar panels are.

musukosan
Jun 9, 2011, 10:37 AM
Signed on just to say how terrible this guy is. What a bad public speaker. He's making up words. He evades every question. He sounds so buddy-buddy with Steve instead of a leader of the people who elected him. There's no grave concern with losing Apple to Mountain View, so quit trying to stick in Steve. And I didn't know Apple bought HP :confused:

Apple didn't buy HP, they bought the land and buildings HP use to own.

ranReloaded
Jun 9, 2011, 10:38 AM
Can't wait to see what Google shows to the Mountain View Council next month :D

mcmlxix
Jun 9, 2011, 10:39 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I love how Apple has tried it's best over the years to be environmentally friendly. Most companies simply do not care. The company I work for, a zillion times bigger than Apple, and also based in the Bay Area, is VERY proactive with $green$ initiatives.

cfountain72
Jun 9, 2011, 10:40 AM
Obviously it's a design for the new iCollider...

http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/breaking/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/anlaps.jpg

mcmlxix
Jun 9, 2011, 10:41 AM
Right. Tell that to Mayor Wong and not Howardchief who was pointing out Wong's error.

Howardchief
Jun 9, 2011, 10:42 AM

Right, I know this. The Mayor didn't.

bwillwall
Jun 9, 2011, 10:48 AM
Dude: How would you imagine Cupertino without apple?

Mayor: Uh, I really hope the best of Apple and with their new products announced I hope that uh they do well with them.

Dude: Yes but how do you see Cupertino without apple?

Mayor: Yes with their new uh iCloud they just announced, yes I believe they are great for this city.

mcmlxix
Jun 9, 2011, 10:50 AM

I thought Mercury’s “Seriously?” was appropriate, as it responded to poorly informed provincialism.

California does indeed have underground structures, and tunnels, bridges, skyscrapers, and some of the most stringent building codes and technologies. It isn’t Haiti after all.

drewisanapple
Jun 9, 2011, 10:51 AM
Dude: How would you imagine Cupertino without apple?

Mayor: Uh, I really hope the best of Apple and with their new products announced I hope that uh they do well with them.

Dude: Yes but how do you see Cupertino without apple?

Mayor: Yes with their new uh iCloud they just announced, yes I believe they are great for this city.

I'm embarrassed for Cupertino, I mean, the mayor wasn't answering any question directly.
Politics.

mcmlxix
Jun 9, 2011, 10:56 AM
I'm embarrassed for Cupertino, I mean, the mayor wasn't answering any question directly.
Politics. I honestly don't think he was "politicking" but just dense and perhaps star struck. I mean he went on at length about every Apple product he's ever owned.

cvaldes
Jun 9, 2011, 10:57 AM
The company I work for, a zillion times bigger than Apple, and also based in the Bay Area, is VERY proactive with $green$ initiatives.
A zillion times bigger than Apple? Well, not in market capitalization nor profitability.

There are a few SF Bay Area companies with higher revenue, but not on the orders of magnitude you claim.

So, I think it is reasonable to assume that you are talking about number of employees.

Do you work for Safeway?

mcmlxix
Jun 9, 2011, 11:20 AM
A zillion times bigger than Apple? Well, not in market capitalization nor profitability.

There are a few SF Bay Area companies with higher revenue, but not on the orders of magnitude you claim.

So, I think it is reasonable to assume that you are talking about number of employees.

Do you work for Safeway? A zillion…ok I exaggerate…but when I spoke of size I was primarily talking about the number of employees…but yes…$$$ is the reason for its existence.

iSee
Jun 9, 2011, 11:24 AM

Yeah, because the Empire State Building is full of artists, intellectuals, rocket scientists and brain surgeons.

WestonHarvey1
Jun 9, 2011, 11:26 AM
"Lloyd!"

Rex Lee and Gilbert Wong were separated at birth.

Can't you just hear Steve Jobs shouting "Gilbert, get in here!"?

WestonHarvey1
Jun 9, 2011, 11:30 AM
Politics.

Oh, come on. What do you expect him to say? Apple defines Cupertino. Have you ever been there? It's a pretty sleepy town compared to the rest of the Valley. It's beautiful and something of an anomaly. Apple is its crown jewel.

If it weren't for Microsoft, would anyone have ever heard of Redmond? No. It would just be the jerkwater Pacific Northwest slum WestonHarvey1 was born in.

Why wouldn't you expect them to bend over backwards for Apple?

gkarris
Jun 9, 2011, 11:33 AM
GOD, I hope they bring back Elvis... :eek:

;)

Gamoe
Jun 9, 2011, 11:39 AM
How do you get to be an elected public figure with such awful public speaking skills?

cvaldes
Jun 9, 2011, 11:41 AM
A zillion…ok I exaggerate…but when I spoke of size I was primarily talking about the number of employees…but yes…$$$ is the reason for its existence.
$$$ is the reason for any publicly traded company's existence.

The primary responsibility of any publicly traded company is increasing shareholder value.

Your company is not unique or differentiated.

hansrx7
Jun 9, 2011, 11:44 AM
Uh..The city of Cupertino is excited! uh..what about you?
uh why are you asking so many uh questions?
uh cant you guys see how much uh $$ we can get from uh Apple?

uh may be uh I cannot explain you uh better as I have not yet completed my uh public speaking course!

uh uh uh uh uh

robeddie
Jun 9, 2011, 11:46 AM
I honestly don't think he was "politicking" but just dense and perhaps star struck. I mean he went on at length about every Apple product he's ever owned.

Yeah, I hate to pile on and be mean, but honestly! I've been a news reporter for a couple decades and have gone to hundreds of small town city hall meetings, and Wong comes across as the worst, by far.

He seems ill-prepared, unconfident, and just stumbles around on the podium, saying pretty much nothing. I watched the whole video of the presentation Jobs did in front of the city council the night before, and Wong seemed equally inept.

It's like if they pulled a high school kid off the street and told him to try to 'act' like a mayor - this is what you would get.

Very strange.

mcmlxix
Jun 9, 2011, 11:47 AM
$$$ is the reason for any publicly traded company's existence.

The primary responsibility of any publicly traded company is increasing shareholder value.

Your company is not unique or differentiated. But what if $$$ IS your service?

In any case, my original point is that green has several (not always mutually exclusive) meanings. If green initiatives are motivated by cost savings and reputation more than the envirionmnet, who cares I guess, as long as it's being done.

cvaldes
Jun 9, 2011, 11:50 AM
Oh, come on. What do you expect him to say? Apple defines Cupertino. Have you ever been there? It's a pretty sleepy town compared to the rest of the Valley. It's beautiful and something of an anomaly. Apple is its crown jewel.

If it weren't for Microsoft, would anyone have ever heard of Redmond? No. It would just be the jerkwater Pacific Northwest slum WestonHarvey1 was born in.

Why wouldn't you expect them to bend over backwards for Apple?
Cupertino is beautiful?

Cupertino is a bedroom community mostly full of ranch homes and a handful of office buildings. There's nothing particularly beautiful about it. You can't even tell where Sunnyvale, Los Altos, Saratoga, San Jose, etc. begin. They all look similar.

As a matter of fact, I would argue that Cupertino is less appealing that those cities, as the latter all have walkable downtown areas with retail shops and restaurants.

Cupertino has two things going for it: Apple Inc. and the Cupertino public school system (one of the best in the South Bay). Apart from that, there is no compelling reason to live in Cupertino. Also, it has no access to Caltrain nor VTA Light Rail.

cvaldes
Jun 9, 2011, 11:54 AM
But what if $$$ IS your service?
Money is a commodity. It can be abused, just like anything else.

Just look at the home mortgage industry.

The reasons for any company to have green initiatives are probably complex and multi-faceted. I doubt that any company can honestly say that they are only doing it for one reason or another.

But at the end of the day, every company has to answer to their shareholders.

mcmlxix
Jun 9, 2011, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I hate to pile on and be mean, but honestly! I've been a news reporter for a couple decades and have gone to hundreds of small town city hall meetings, and Wong comes across as the worst, by far. Beverly Hills is hilarious too, but at least they’re more on topic.

inlovewithi
Jun 9, 2011, 12:23 PM
I'm sorry to say, and I held off from saying it last time, but this spaceship building gives off an Apple cult vibe.

FloatingBones
Jun 9, 2011, 12:23 PM
If the building could have been available this fall, it would have been perfect for the iCloud Music Laundering Machine (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/itunes-in-the-cloud-with-itunes-match-24-99year-matches-ripped-tunes-offers-them-in-the-cloud/).

That building will have one hell of a spin cycle!

nonameowns
Jun 9, 2011, 12:51 PM
no it secretly a place for training babies under jobs

musukosan
Jun 9, 2011, 12:55 PM
Right, I know this. The Mayor didn't.

Sorry, I didn't catch your sarcasm. I also didn't watch the whole video as I couldn't stand the Mayor's seeming denseness for very long so I didn't catch that he made that claim. :o

globalhemp
Jun 9, 2011, 12:59 PM
This design brings a whole new meaning to "One Infinite Circle" which is the address of Apple's main corporate campus in Cupertino.

Where there are no front, side, back entrances.

Shaped like a clock, one could perhaps work in the "3 O'Clock" pie position, accordingly to directional North being "12 O'Clock."

From an organizational view, this allows for people to have less of a status -- such as having a office on the 50th floor versus the lowly 3rd floor.

Microsoft's Redmond, WA campus has several buildings, most of which are 4 stories and not that large. It mimics a college campus feeling, not a New York city skyscraper "hierarchical social status" structure.

globalhemp
Jun 9, 2011, 01:03 PM
Regarding last post: What was I thinking, "Infinite Circle?" Meant to write "Infinite Loop."

Anyhow, ... move over similar, though rigid-shaped Pentagon, there's a new shape in town! Based on a similar structure buried several hundred feet below Area 51.

:)

cvaldes
Jun 9, 2011, 01:03 PM
This design brings a whole new meaning to "One Infinite Circle" which is the address of Apple's main corporate campus in Cupertino.
It's "One Infinite Loop", not Circle.

I guess you're not a computer person. If you were, you'd recognize this as a programming concept.

MoreAwesomeDanU
Jun 9, 2011, 01:18 PM
the mayor reminds me of a cartoon character... but i can't recall who....

G4er?
Jun 9, 2011, 01:21 PM
Since people are calling it a space ship maybe aliens will land there and give Steve the technology so Apple can build the xMac so many of us want. :D

farmboy
Jun 9, 2011, 01:43 PM
I'm sorry to say, and I held off from saying it last time, but this spaceship building gives off an Apple cult vibe.

I was wondering how the usual suspects were going to find an anti-Apple spin. Winni, inlovewithi...where's lilo777?

bella92108
Jun 9, 2011, 01:44 PM

Keep in mind the geography of the bay area. I live in San Francisco, and the city council here is of a high caliber, but the cities of the suburbs, like Cupertino, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Milpitas, Milbrae, San Bruno, Santa Clara, Alviso, they're all tiny little towns with 20-30k people.... so the council members and reps are just soccer moms and dads who do it as a hobby... so they never get press like this. That's why this guy put on a suit and tie to come to work. Normally they're in jeans and a t-shirt, haha.

It's good for them though. They had to be sweating their ass off because cities like Cupertino have one main tennant. Imagine having a mall and having one company leasing 90% of the stores, then their contract comes up for renewal... that one deal could make of break your well-being and that's how it is for cities like Cupertino.

bella92108
Jun 9, 2011, 01:51 PM
I was wondering how the usual suspects were going to find an anti-Apple spin. Winni, inlovewithi...where's lilo777?

I always love the anti-apple people.... their reasoning is the absolute reverse of logic. I personally can't handle Walmart's shopping experience regardless of how cheap they are, but can't stand when people say it destroys local business and they're greedy corporations. Those same people say they'll only shop at local business, won't go to starbucks, and only go to mom n pop coffee houses.

Makes no sense. So if their local coffee shop is good, and they tell 4 friends and all those friends tell 4 friends eventually the coffee shop will expand, and eventually open more stores. At what point does it become "too successful" and that person stop shopping there?

Apple started the same way. They were small (garage), and became big. And now people put them in crosshairs for being some big, evil, cult-like corporation, and it makes no sense. Do you want to discourage success? Do you want to penalize people for making a good product or coming up with a successful business model? If you open a business, you're an idiot if your goal is to stay a 1 location, small shop... well if your objective is to make money and grow your customer base at least.

People need to stop attacking success and realize that attacking successful business models just make them a hypocrite, because by supporting small business, you're actually encouraging the growth of small business to become the very entity that you so hate.

Ok, stepping off my soapbox.

Pink∆Floyd
Jun 9, 2011, 01:53 PM
I can't believe this guy got elected as Mayor...

"Bought HP" really?

uh uh uh uh uh

Anybody else find his voice extremely annoying? :(

Rajani Isa
Jun 9, 2011, 01:55 PM
Interesting bloke, he must be the first American that i've heard have public speaking issues. That was a shameful effort! Once its built I recon it may warrant a trip to the US to have a closer look. Hopefully the Australian dollar is still hovering around its present rate in 2015 :D
I've seen plenty with speaking issues.

Of course, they're usually politicians apologizing for extramarital sex with someone who may or may not be the gender of one's spouse. Of course, I guess that's an entirely different kind of speaking issue.

While it affects culture, something being iconic does not mean it's culturally important itself, for example that firm that is trying to (did they ever start it?) build the rotating apartment building in Dubai - it'll be iconic because of how unusual it is, not because it's a culturally significant building.

bella92108
Jun 9, 2011, 01:55 PM
I can't believe this guy got elected as Mayor...

"Bought HP" really?

uh uh uh uh uh

Anybody else find his voice extremely annoying? :(

The chinese population there is huge... and they vote for their own. That's all I'll say. LOL

bella92108
Jun 9, 2011, 02:00 PM
I've seen plenty with speaking issues.

Of course, they're usually politicians apologizing for extramarital sex with someone who may or may not be the gender of one's spouse. Of course, I guess that's an entirely different kind of speaking issue.

While it affects culture, something being iconic does not mean it's culturally important itself, for example that firm that is trying to (did they ever start it?) build the rotating apartment building in Dubai - it'll be iconic because of how unusual it is, not because it's a culturally significant building.

How about just saying it's a cool campus, and to have one building makes sense. It allows cross-departmental functionality, and lots lower operating cost than having 20 buildings spread across town. Right now, teams have to commute 20 minutes to drive to meetings in other locations. LOL

It's cool looking because Apple wants to be iconic. Look at an Apple store in comparison to a Pottery Barn... duhh.. they want their corporate presence to be equally as appealing in comparison.

People in this country make me laugh... do you not travel outside the US? In Europe, the Middle East, and Asia, they're all building amazing architectural buildings... look at the CCTV building in Beijing... look at the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, look at any major city anywhere... right now we're dropping so far behind as a crap-nation who has no money to build anything because of the mistakes of the past 30 years... it's a GREAT thing that Apple is spending the money to actually build a news-worthey building on American soil for once.

wesg
Jun 9, 2011, 02:06 PM
Where exactly will Apple's employees work while the structure is being built?

bella92108
Jun 9, 2011, 02:06 PM

In chicken coops... uhm, they're building it in a new location, jeez. Not on top of the old location. READ.

inlovewithi
Jun 9, 2011, 02:07 PM

I barely even come here.

Not a spin, to me it goes with that whole Apple cult vibe thing. Perhaps that's just Steve Jobs taste, and certain things he puts out are always going to give me that vibe. Definitely not a spin, but a very honest opinion.

Bubba Satori
Jun 9, 2011, 02:09 PM
No parking?

Why would celestial beings need parking?

frjonah
Jun 9, 2011, 02:10 PM
What does this mean (video, start at 1:59)?:

No company emboils the value more than Apple

I was able to find a definition for emboils on websters-online-dictionary.com

emboil
1. To boil with anger; to effervesce.
2. To cause to boil with anger; to irritate; to chafe.

What in the world did he mean... embodies?

inlovewithi
Jun 9, 2011, 02:11 PM
I always love the anti-apple people.... their reasoning is the absolute reverse of logic. I personally can't handle Walmart's shopping experience regardless of how cheap they are, but can't stand when people say it destroys local business and they're greedy corporations. Those same people say they'll only shop at local business, won't go to starbucks, and only go to mom n pop coffee houses.

Makes no sense. So if their local coffee shop is good, and they tell 4 friends and all those friends tell 4 friends eventually the coffee shop will expand, and eventually open more stores. At what point does it become "too successful" and that person stop shopping there?

Apple started the same way. They were small (garage), and became big. And now people put them in crosshairs for being some big, evil, cult-like corporation, and it makes no sense. Do you want to discourage success? Do you want to penalize people for making a good product or coming up with a successful business model? If you open a business, you're an idiot if your goal is to stay a 1 location, small shop... well if your objective is to make money and grow your customer base at least.

People need to stop attacking success and realize that attacking successful business models just make them a hypocrite, because by supporting small business, you're actually encouraging the growth of small business to become the very entity that you so hate.

Ok, stepping off my soapbox.

You went on a rant that has absolutely nothing to do with me, or mentioned any reasons why I dislike Apple as a company, and it's not even the cult like vibe.

You might find this article interesting http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/05/19/apple.religion/index.html?hpt=C1 it's also not a coincidence why many people feel that way about Apple.

mcmlxix
Jun 9, 2011, 02:16 PM
Keep in mind the geography of the bay area. I live in San Francisco, and the city council here is of a high caliber, but the cities of the suburbs, like Cupertino, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Milpitas, Milbrae, San Bruno, Santa Clara, Alviso, they're all tiny little towns with 20-30k people.... so the council members and reps are just soccer moms and dads who do it as a hobby... so they never get press like this. That's why this guy put on a suit and tie to come to work. Normally they're in jeans and a t-shirt, haha.

It's good for them though. They had to be sweating their ass off because cities like Cupertino have one main tennant. Imagine having a mall and having one company leasing 90% of the stores, then their contract comes up for renewal... that one deal could make of break your well-being and that's how it is for cities like Cupertino.

I think part of what you say is true.

But regardless of population, the City is a far more complex place than the Peninsula or the Valley, which is why its government is more professional. But having a small population is no excuse for what we saw in Wong. The Peninsula and Valley are home to world renowned companies, Stanford, and some very wealthy constituents (you neglected to mention Atherton) all of whom expect not only competence, but professionalism.

But yeah, without Apple, Cupertino would have to do more than cut back their library’s hours.

gothamm
Jun 9, 2011, 02:28 PM
It was painful to see the way the whole council handled this process. They all seemed to cream their pants once Steve Jobs took to the podium. That their enthusiasm was unrestrained is a bit of an understatement. They should have reserved their excitement by putting up a serious front. They seemed all but sold, communicating to Apple that the company can do whatever it wants. After all, this is business. To get prematurely excited about a product does not leave the city with much bargaining leverage and say as to the terms and conditions of the new facility.

gkarris
Jun 9, 2011, 02:55 PM
Since people are calling it a space ship maybe aliens will land there and give Steve the technology so Apple can build the xMac so many of us want. :D

Quite the opposite...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsAS-Ke8Qhk

Snide
Jun 9, 2011, 03:01 PM
The chinese population there is huge... and they vote for their own. That's all I'll say. LOL

Wow. Really? :rolleyes: There are plenty of Chinese, ect 10 year-olds who are far more articulate...

ILikeTurtles
Jun 9, 2011, 03:02 PM

Wow! Does it really? Please explain.

calzon65
Jun 9, 2011, 03:04 PM
Love the entire design. This will be one of Steve Job’s lasting legacies and will probably become an American landmark. I hope he remains healthy to see its completion.

As far as the mayor of Cupertino, what a clown! Terrible public speaking abilities and he comes across as a complete tool in Apple's pocket. Hey Mayor, you know there is a way to publically support Apple without seeming like you are some wide eyed, cool aid drinking, in Apple's pocket, gaga for Steve Jobs, fan boy.

SeattleMoose
Jun 9, 2011, 03:05 PM
There is something "loveable" about Gilbert Wong.....kind of a nerd but in a good way.

Bubba Satori
Jun 9, 2011, 03:32 PM

Wow! Does it really? Please explain.

Heaven's Gate.

http://media.brainz.org/uploads/2010/10/1463_heavens_gate_468.jpg

AaronEdwards
Jun 9, 2011, 03:36 PM

Considering the number of Caucasian candidates and officeholders and the lack of Chinese American candidates and officeholders, I'm pretty certain that Chinese Americans vote for Caucasian a lot more frequently than Caucasians votes for Chinese American candidates (or any other minority candidates).

The racist crap in this thread is disappointing...

elbodude
Jun 9, 2011, 04:10 PM
When this building is complete it will become a tourist attraction. I might even go and see it.

Me too as it's 1.5 miles from my house. Growing up in Cupertino, I used to walk through the orchards they are referencing. Then all these Apple buildings started popping up. I will be good to consolidate to one area of the city.

It's the new and improved Infinite Loop

cvaldes
Jun 9, 2011, 04:13 PM
Keep in mind the geography of the bay area. I live in San Francisco, and the city council here is of a high caliber, but the cities of the suburbs, like Cupertino, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Milpitas, Milbrae, San Bruno, Santa Clara, Alviso, they're all tiny little towns with 20-30k people....

You have no idea what you are talking about:

Santa Clara, pop. 116,468
Mountain View, pop. 74,066
Milpitas, pop. 66,790
Palo Alto, pop. 64,403
Cupertino, pop. 58,302
San Bruno, pop. 41,114

(Source: 2010 census)

Only Millbrae and Alviso come even close to the size you mention.

Maybe next time, you can do a little research before you propose a "theory."

KingCrimson
Jun 9, 2011, 04:14 PM
I lived in Cupertino some years back and never thought about Apple...

cvaldes
Jun 9, 2011, 04:15 PM
In the buildings where their offices currently exist, plus maybe a few leased buildings, to accommodate for Apple's pokey growth.

It's not like Cupertino commercial real estate is maxed out. There are places with "for lease" signs on De Anza Boulevard, Bubb Road, etc.

Apple is very slow about adding new engineering and marketing employees anyhow. The vast majority of their growth in employee ranks is retail sales. Those people don't need desks in Cupertino.

KingCrimson
Jun 9, 2011, 04:16 PM
IT's all nice, but personally I prefer MSFT's main Redmond campus. It's really nice and you feel like the entire town is Microsoft.

appleguy123
Jun 9, 2011, 04:39 PM
the mayor reminds me of a cartoon character... but i can't recall who....

http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/shared/characters/adults/tuong-lu-kim.jpg
Him?

Mattie Num Nums
Jun 9, 2011, 04:43 PM
In the buildings where their offices currently exist, plus maybe a few leased buildings, to accommodate for Apple's pokey growth.

It's not like Cupertino commercial real estate is maxed out. There are places with "for lease" signs on De Anza Boulevard, Bubb Road, etc.

Apple is very slow about adding new engineering and marketing employees anyhow. The vast majority of their growth in employee ranks is retail sales. Those people don't need desks in Cupertino.

Bubb is one of the main off campus sites. I am sure employees will stay there.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 9, 2011, 05:46 PM
Apple missed a chance to "think different" with their brand names recently. With others offering "cloud" services, "icloud" isn't that original.

Apple should have called their "cloud" a "moon" or imoon. The idea being that the moon is higher in the sky than the competitors clouds. And this new spaceship complex in Cuppertino would take us to the imoon.

Apple could have had itunes store sales on each new moon too to draw customers.

Glideslope
Jun 9, 2011, 06:02 PM
Less parking? Or do they mean multistory parking now?

You park in The Cloud. :apple:

inkswamp
Jun 9, 2011, 06:32 PM
The guy is reading off of a prepared statement, presumably. Yet he can't say three words without throwing in an "uh", and he repeats himself over and over. If I were a resident of Cupertino I would be embarrassed to admit this guy ever got elected.

What's with all the carping about this? Since when do politicians and city leaders have to be TV-ready? Maybe it's a generational thing. Do young people view that as a prerequisite for leadership? It seems to me that someone on a city council could be extremely good at their job while not having mastered the art of being spectacular on TV.

It's not a reality show. It's the city's political dealings. It doesn't have to wow you.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 9, 2011, 06:34 PM
It is actually going to sit on top of a super collider (hence the shape).

Apple will create iquarks for new uses and research ifusion.

inkswamp
Jun 9, 2011, 06:38 PM

Some people view anything Apple does in that way, so what does it matter?

AidenShaw
Jun 9, 2011, 07:17 PM
How do you get to be an elected public figure with such awful public speaking skills?

Cupertino is a small town of less than 60k hominoids. The mayor and city council positions almost go for begging (please, somebody run for election).

The "mayor" may be a rotating position among the members of the city council - since someone has to bang the gavel at each meeting. It's a figurehead post, chosen by the city council - not by the voters.

A "big issue" in one of these small towns can be a church wanting to lease space (http://www.mv-voice.com/news/show_story.php?id=3580) in its steeple for cellular radio antennae. The NIMBY neighbors are afraid it will irradiate their children, an army of experts declares not only that it won't - but the legal mavens point out that the city council is prohibited by FCC regulations from considering health concerns in their decision.

So please, look at this in context.

(BTW, I'm describing the situation in Mountain View, a town that more or less borders Cupertino - depending on whether you consider unincorporated parts of LA. Please, if any Cupertino resident can correct me please do so. And, no Steve, you live in Palo Alto (at least since you destroyed the house in Woodside).)

Far, far, far too small for a super collider. Maybe a MiniMac collider - a collider built using laptop parts.

LHC wouldn't fit in Silicon Valley - even ignoring the minor issue that it might have to cross the San Andreas Fault. LHC is 27 km in circumference, and is in two countries.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3370/3406682585_d2166b234e_z.jpg (click to enlarge)

inlovewithi
Jun 9, 2011, 08:31 PM
Heaven's Gate.

Image (http://media.brainz.org/uploads/2010/10/1463_heavens_gate_468.jpg)

That's exactly who I was thinking off, but chose not to say.

kalsta
Jun 9, 2011, 08:32 PM
Now if they just take a little chunk out of the side, and put a stem at the top...

Already did that joke in the last thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12712039#post12712039)… ;)

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee430/kalsta1/therealnewapplecampus.jpg

Adam McScadam
Jun 9, 2011, 09:00 PM
Interesting bloke, he must be the first American that i've heard have public speaking issues. That was a shameful effort!

You have obviously never heard George Bush Jnr. speak in public as president then :p

mattster16
Jun 9, 2011, 09:02 PM

Not a problem. Being underground is not any more dangerous than being above in terms of earthquakes - it's all in how it is designed. In fact the surrounding earth could be used to the structure's advantage. Seismic design has come a long way since the disasters you've seen in previous earthquakes.

My credentials: civil engineer with experience in bridge design (actually very similar in basic design to parking structures).

rcappo
Jun 9, 2011, 09:28 PM
Already did that joke in the last thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12712039#post12712039)… ;)

Image (http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee430/kalsta1/therealnewapplecampus.jpg)

That is what I thought it should look like.

The circle one will make the "I've been to the mothership" t-shirt pretty accurate however.

:apple:

irwcll94
Jun 9, 2011, 09:38 PM
hahaha start it at 5:40... I could watch that part all night long!

RawBert
Jun 9, 2011, 10:29 PM
He said "Uhh" 113 times. It would have been more but he didn't say it that often while he was reading.

Now that some serious speech disfluency (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_disfluency).

CFreymarc
Jun 9, 2011, 11:10 PM

This presentation was is a classic example of Teddy Roosevelt's, "Speak softly and carry a big stick." quote. The council members were flat out intimidated by Steve Jobs. They are not worth talking with someone worth more than the entire City of Cupertino.

CFreymarc
Jun 9, 2011, 11:15 PM

I would not be surprised if there is some sort of circular corridor with limited access for networking cables and such with a big thick pipe for "whatever comes in the future." I was thinking more like this.

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/iron-man-2-movie-image-robert-downey-jr-600x399.jpg

AidenShaw
Jun 9, 2011, 11:19 PM
This They are not worth talking with someone worth more than the entire City of Cupertino.

That's a disgusting comment.

The democratically elected officials of a community are worth more than some egostical turtle-necked billionaire who doesn't even live in the town.

"Worth" can mean character as well as wealth. Jobs has wealth, but little character.

LLIBSETAG
Jun 10, 2011, 04:20 AM
Apple Mothership HQ is like the Stanley Kubrick's movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" rotating circular space station! Ground Control To Major Steve!
:):apple:

janstett
Jun 10, 2011, 04:27 AM
[LIST]
I wonder how tightly people are going to be crowded into this building? After all, the pdf says that employees numbers will go up by 40% but space is only increasing by 20%. Either they aren't at full capacity now or they take the view that putting people in a close environment makes for better collaboration.

I don't know what Apple's current office space is like but since it goes back to the 1970s I'll assume it's more traditional with regards to cubes and offices.

If they do something more like Google where workspaces are open and there are very few offices it could increase space utilization.

thelonelylimo
Jun 10, 2011, 06:54 AM
"Lloyd!"

classic.

thelonelylimo
Jun 10, 2011, 06:55 AM
I never doubted they would be anything less than "accommodating". The poor mayor was so flustered with excitement he couldn't even unlock his iPad during Q&A.

"If it will cooperate with me".. I wonder what Steve thought. lol.

thelonelylimo
Jun 10, 2011, 06:58 AM

Exactly... It should have been the Apple. Great advertising on Google Maps.

AustiSo
Jun 10, 2011, 08:20 AM
Now the title can really fit the address: One Infinite Loop.

I'm thinking underground parking if they're going to preserve that landscape around it.

Boosf
Jun 10, 2011, 11:46 AM
I wonder how many ZPMs it will take to power that thing.

HyperX13
Jun 10, 2011, 12:22 PM
I am surprised that the Mayor was not announcing this from Disney World wearing a red t-shirt! ;)

doberman211
Jun 10, 2011, 12:50 PM
I wonder how many ZPMs it will take to power that thing.

xD hillarious. But really. The world is becoming something like scifi with apple! Freaking PADDs and now some circular environmentally clean building? what's next? the iEnterprise?

CFreymarc
Jun 10, 2011, 01:48 PM
That's a disgusting comment.

The democratically elected officials of a community are worth more than some egostical turtle-necked billionaire who doesn't even live in the town.

"Worth" can mean character as well as wealth. Jobs has wealth, but little character.

I was wondering when someone would pervert my comment. You are using the wrong definition of "worth" toward an intangible. My reference was the total assets of The City of Cupertino vs. Steve Jobs assets.

ECUpirate44
Jun 10, 2011, 02:26 PM
My 12 year old brother could answer those questions better than the mayor of Cupertino.

butterfly0fdoom
Jun 10, 2011, 02:49 PM
Considering the number of Caucasian candidates and officeholders and the lack of Chinese American candidates and officeholders, I'm pretty certain that Chinese Americans vote for Caucasian a lot more frequently than Caucasians votes for Chinese American candidates (or any other minority candidates).

The racist crap in this thread is disappointing...

I don't know about that.... Whenever there's an Asian running for office in my city (Fremont, of which an entire district demographically similar to Cupertino), the entire Asian Gossip Network bands together to get the Asian candidate voted into council. Although, the Asian Gossip Network'll also rip Asian council members to shreds when they don't "stand up against their Caucasian peers to defend our community's interests". I use the word "whenever" for a reason: it doesn't happen that often that you'll see Asian Americans running for political positions, even in communities that have a high percentage of Asians.

123MAC
Jun 10, 2011, 04:16 PM
all I can say is I wish one day I'll be working at that campus :)

CFreymarc
Jun 11, 2011, 09:21 AM
Apple Mothership HQ is like the Stanley Kubrick's movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" rotating circular space station! Ground Control To Major Steve!
:):apple:

There are already plenty of conspiracy rumors about what is in the center of the new courtyard. My favorite one says the Tomb of Steve Jobs is at the center of it with some of the deep foundation work spec'ed out in the plans at the center of the courtyard.

The reality is that they are planning on a time capsule at the center of the courtyard containing first versions of major Apple products such as the Apple I, Apple ][, Lisa, Mac, iPod and iPhone. If all goes as scheduled, the new campus is in full operation come the summer of 2016 on Apple's 40th anniversary. All these products, and probably a NeXT box too, are placed in the time capsule for opening after the next forty years of Apple the summer of 2056. Intel did this with their new building in Santa Clara back in the 90s.

I'm glad the proposal for a "Tree of Life" in the center of the courtyard a la Avatar got shot down. Trees are great, but not worth worshiping nor hugging.

caspersoong
Jun 11, 2011, 09:31 AM
I think that the campus will be a major attraction for Cupertino.

AppleScruff1
Jun 11, 2011, 10:27 AM
Will this be as exciting for us as Apples record profits or even more so? Will the new campus make our lives even better? Should we start bragging about it now, or should we wait until construction begins? Decisions, decisions............

calzon65
Jun 11, 2011, 12:22 PM
This presentation was is a classic example of Teddy Roosevelt's, "Speak softly and carry a big stick." quote. The council members were flat out intimidated by Steve Jobs. They are not worth talking with someone worth more than the entire City of Cupertino.

I've always hated Job's arrogance but he has certainly earned a large measure of success and developed good presentation skills compared to the members of the Cupertino city council. Those Cupertino politicians voluntarily ran for their positions, nobody was forced into being a member of the council. They are expected to act like professional leaders, not a bunch of school children falling all over themselves. Watching Mayor Gilbert Wong's pathetic question and answer session was painful.

My 12 year old brother could answer those questions better than the mayor of Cupertino.

Hopefully your brother will run for mayor of Cupertino, because the current mayor is a complete tool.

63dot
Jun 11, 2011, 12:38 PM
I just woke up to this today.

Wow, and Apple wants to keep it at only 4 stories and have mostly trees on the campus (doubling the number of trees there) to bring it somewhat back to its old look. I remember when the city and region had very few buildings so this is exciting for a change! Way to go, Apple Inc.

CFreymarc
Jun 12, 2011, 01:53 AM
xD hillarious. But really. The world is becoming something like scifi with apple! Freaking PADDs and now some circular environmentally clean building? what's next? the iEnterprise?

Has been rumored that one of Steve's very low profile angel investments is private spaceflight.

InuNacho
Jun 12, 2011, 02:03 AM
I think that the campus will be a major attraction for Cupertino.

Cupertino has other good things in it like a community college and half empty shopping mall.

janstett
Jun 12, 2011, 10:28 AM
There are already plenty of conspiracy rumors about what is in the center of the new courtyard. My favorite one says the Tomb of Steve Jobs is at the center of it with some of the deep foundation work spec'ed out in the plans at the center of the courtyard.

The reality is that they are planning on a time capsule at the center of the courtyard containing first versions of major Apple products such as the Apple I, Apple ][, Lisa, Mac, iPod and iPhone. If all goes as scheduled, the new campus is in full operation come the summer of 2016 on Apple's 40th anniversary. All these products, and probably a NeXT box too, are placed in the time capsule for opening after the next forty years of Apple the summer of 2056. Intel did this with their new building in Santa Clara back in the 90s.

I'm glad the proposal for a "Tree of Life" in the center of the courtyard a la Avatar got shot down. Trees are great, but not worth worshiping nor hugging.

Are you sure about the time capsule? I had read that one of Jobs' first acts upon his return was to dismantle the Apple hall of fame displays and donate them to the computing museum.

MCIowaRulz
Jun 12, 2011, 02:11 PM
Me too as it's 1.5 miles from my house. Growing up in Cupertino, I used to walk through the orchards they are referencing. Then all these Apple buildings started popping up. I will be good to consolidate to one area of the city.

It's the new and improved Infinite Loop

OMG!:eek: If I lived there i'd be just in HEAVEN I'm TOTALLY JEALOUS!

AidenShaw
Jun 12, 2011, 06:23 PM
OMG!:eek: If I lived there i'd be just in HEAVEN I'm TOTALLY JEALOUS!

There's really nothing special about Cupertino - if "heaven" is living in the same small town where the company headquarters of your favorite consumer electronics company is located - please describe "hell".

CFreymarc
Jun 13, 2011, 12:45 PM
Are you sure about the time capsule? I had read that one of Jobs' first acts upon his return was to dismantle the Apple hall of fame displays and donate them to the computing museum.

The so called "Hall of Fame" is still there but much less formal. One of the better stories goes is the Apple pool table. It is very well used but well kept. Story goes is that it was Steve Job's father's pool table that they played pool around while working on the Apple 1. Steve took the pool table with him wherever he went in his career. Just before he left Apple, the pool table was moved to NeXT headquarters in Redwood City. A week before Steve came back to Apple, the pool table showed up.

The current location of the pool table is the third floor of Infinite Loop One just below Steve's office. To this day, playing at the pool table late at night is a meeting of the inner circle of Apple. Next to this pool table is a long line of Apple products going back to the Apple ][. Supposedly, when the pool table moves to the new campus, these machines will be in the time capsule.

Then again, anything can change.

C3PO
Jun 15, 2011, 08:38 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4Cdk0iFTJMo/Te-W8NtV4aI/AAAAAAAAAAQ/6fue8V4RYZ8/s1600/iPodJumbo.jpg
When I saw the news about Apple's new campus (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/steve-jobs-pitches-cupertino-on-new-apple-campus/), I thought wow! That looks awesome. The folks that get to work there are going to have the best office space in the world. I also thought that it looked a lot like a giant iPod click wheel. So I couldn't help myself - I had to mock it up in Photoshop. I call it iPod Jumbo.