Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One staple of iOS since its inception has been the Weather app, a simple home screen powered by Yahoo and The Weather Channel that allows users to add locations and see the current conditions as well as a six-day forecast of high/low temperatures and an icon showing the conditions for each day.

wwdc11_weather_notification.jpg

With iOS 5, Apple has made several minor improvements to the weather functionality, starting of course with the integration of a weather widget into the Notification Center, offering users a glance at weather conditions with a single swipe.

ios_5_weather_hourly.jpg

But Apple has also made improvements to the Weather app, including a "current location" page that uses geolocation to automatically display the weather and forecast for wherever the user is rather than having to manually input a location.

Apple has also increased the level of forecast detail, as tapping on a daily forecast expands the item to display an hour-by-hour forecast of temperatures and conditions, with the user able to easily scroll through the entire list for the day.

Unfortunately, Apple has yet to deploy a dynamic home screen icon for the Weather app that would show the current conditions for the user's location instead of the fixed display of 73 degrees and sunny. But with the weather easily accessible from anywhere via a single swipe in Notification Center, users may find their need for a dynamic home screen icon to be lessened considerably.

Article Link: iOS 5 Brings Improvements to Weather App

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Dynamic icons would still be nice. That's actually one of the only things I like about Windows Phone 7 Professional Edition 2011 (or whatever it's called). It has dynamic updating content on the home screen.

I probably missed it somewhere, but has Apple said if developers can make widgets to go into this new notifications pulldown? Can we disable the stock ticker?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Dynamic icons would still be nice. That's actually one of the only things I like about Windows Phone 7 Professional Edition 2011 (or whatever it's called). It has dynamic updating content on the home screen.

I probably missed it somewhere, but has Apple said if developers can make widgets to go into this new notifications pulldown? Can we disable the stock ticker?

You can disable the stock widget and I think developers can make their own.

The weather widget really makes a dynamic icon unnecessary.

lord_flash

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2003
Brighton, England
Seriously?

Unfortunately, Apple has yet to deploy a dynamic home screen icon for the Weather app that would show the current conditions for the user's location
Presumably looking into the sky/out of a window is too retro a method for discerning the current weather?

beebler

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2009
What I don't understand is the clock widget. The icon should be displaying the actual time!

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
Does this apply to the iPad. I miss the inclusion of the stocks app on the iPad, as well as Clock, and Calculator.

If Weather and Stocks came to iPad's, this would allow me to get rid of some pointless apps.

TurnerMan

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2007
In cyberzspace.
I've always used other weather apps instead of the one Apple includes - I'm looking forward to the hourly forecast so I can plan my beach trips/motorcycle rides around inclement weather.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Can you remove stocks & weather completely yet? That'd be the best enhancement for me.

KakaduDreamer

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Exeter, California USA
I always thought it was kinda stupid that Apple didn't include basic Calculator, Stocks and Weather apps on the iPad like they do on the iPhone. Now we have stocks and weather notification widgets on the iPhone implementation of iOS 5 and don't have them on the iPad. Silly Apple!

edwurtle

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010

What bothers me is that they ALREADY have dynamic icons (see calendar app) and they still won't implement it for weather and clock app. I guess the weather and time is "too dynamic" and changes too often.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It would be great if it would let me pick the weather.

LOL! That's only available when you're in Cupertino. It's always sunny and 73 degrees there.

I'm not a fan of the built-in weather app and relegated it to a folder of forgotten apps. I much prefer the Weather Channel's app, which is much more thorough. The map with radar views is what I find most useful. If the built-in app added that feature, I'd probably stick with it.

And I too think that having the icon reflect the current temperature is a good idea.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I also use The Weather Channel App but my preference is the simple elegance of the default Weather App Provided. I.E. Easy to read (large) with the most important information for me right away. I like this new hourly and location change. However, I would love them to add Sunrise and Sunset times. These are the main 2 items I use from the other Apps. I also agree with the other person about having the icon show the real temp (like the calendar icon shows todays date). For me I do not want a lot of details on the the icon (like is done with Windows Phone 7). Have to swipe to see this on the Notification Screen is ok but not much different then just hitting the icon. Why not just show the current temp in the icon.

steveihrcke

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2008
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

One staple of iOS since its inception has been the Weather app, a simple home screen powered by Yahoo and The Weather Channel that allows users to add locations and see the current conditions as well as a six-day forecast of high/low temperatures and an icon showing the conditions for each day.

With iOS 5, Apple has made several minor improvements to the weather functionality, starting of course with the integration of a weather widget into the Notification Center, offering users a glance at weather conditions with a single swipe.

But Apple has also made improvements to the Weather app, including a "current location" page that uses geolocation to automatically display the weather and forecast for wherever the user is rather than having to manually input a location.

Apple has also increased the level of forecast detail, as tapping on a daily forecast expands the item to display an hour-by-hour forecast of temperatures and conditions, with the user able to easily scroll through the entire list for the day.

Unfortunately, Apple has yet to deploy a dynamic home screen icon for the Weather app that would show the current conditions for the user's location instead of the fixed display of 73 degrees and sunny. But with the weather easily accessible from anywhere via a single swipe in Notification Center, users may find their need for a dynamic home screen icon to be lessened considerably.

Article Link: iOS 5 Brings Improvements to Weather App

I quit using it due to total inaccuracy...just couldn't depend on it...

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Dynamic Icon would be easy for Seattle. The forecast would only change twice a year. Overcast/Rainy and 50's from October to June, Sunny and 70's from July to September. :D

Only a few more days till the Seattle summer!

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Dynamic Icon would be easy for Seattle. The forecast would only change twice a year. Overcast/Rainy and 50's from October to June, Sunny and 70's from July to September. :D

Only a few more days till the Seattle summer!

Haha so true, I love our summers here in Seattle. Gorgeous sunrises and sunsets.

Btw, does anyone think this will use alot of battery? Everyone you swipe down to access the notification center, the location services status icon always appears meaning it searches your location and uses data every time you open it. I wider if there's a way to just have one city up there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.