PDA

View Full Version : iOS 5 Brings Improvements to Weather App

MacRumors
Jun 9, 2011, 09:40 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/09/ios-5-brings-improvements-to-weather-app/)

One staple of iOS since its inception has been the Weather app, a simple home screen powered by Yahoo and The Weather Channel that allows users to add locations and see the current conditions as well as a six-day forecast of high/low temperatures and an icon showing the conditions for each day.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/wwdc11_weather_notification.jpg

With iOS 5, Apple has made several minor improvements to the weather functionality, starting of course with the integration of a weather widget into the Notification Center, offering users a glance at weather conditions with a single swipe.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/ios_5_weather_hourly.jpg

But Apple has also made improvements to the Weather app, including a "current location" page that uses geolocation to automatically display the weather and forecast for wherever the user is rather than having to manually input a location.

Apple has also increased the level of forecast detail, as tapping on a daily forecast expands the item to display an hour-by-hour forecast of temperatures and conditions, with the user able to easily scroll through the entire list for the day.

Unfortunately, Apple has yet to deploy a dynamic home screen icon for the Weather app that would show the current conditions for the user's location instead of the fixed display of 73 degrees and sunny. But with the weather easily accessible from anywhere via a single swipe in Notification Center, users may find their need for a dynamic home screen icon to be lessened considerably.

Article Link: iOS 5 Brings Improvements to Weather App (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/09/ios-5-brings-improvements-to-weather-app/)

DennisVR
Jun 9, 2011, 09:42 AM
It would be great if it would let me pick the weather.

kirky29
Jun 9, 2011, 09:45 AM
This was one of my favorite smaller updates, I'll still probably end up using The Weather Channel App though.

macduke
Jun 9, 2011, 09:45 AM
Dynamic icons would still be nice. That's actually one of the only things I like about Windows Phone 7 Professional Edition 2011 (or whatever it's called). It has dynamic updating content on the home screen.

I probably missed it somewhere, but has Apple said if developers can make widgets to go into this new notifications pulldown? Can we disable the stock ticker?

Warbrain
Jun 9, 2011, 09:47 AM
Dynamic icons would still be nice. That's actually one of the only things I like about Windows Phone 7 Professional Edition 2011 (or whatever it's called). It has dynamic updating content on the home screen.

I probably missed it somewhere, but has Apple said if developers can make widgets to go into this new notifications pulldown? Can we disable the stock ticker?

You can disable the stock widget and I think developers can make their own.

The weather widget really makes a dynamic icon unnecessary.

lord_flash
Jun 9, 2011, 09:48 AM
Unfortunately, Apple has yet to deploy a dynamic home screen icon for the Weather app that would show the current conditions for the user's location
Presumably looking into the sky/out of a window is too retro a method for discerning the current weather?

beebler
Jun 9, 2011, 09:48 AM
What I don't understand is the clock widget. The icon should be displaying the actual time!

drewisanapple
Jun 9, 2011, 09:58 AM
Does this apply to the iPad. I miss the inclusion of the stocks app on the iPad, as well as Clock, and Calculator.

If Weather and Stocks came to iPad's, this would allow me to get rid of some pointless apps.

bushido
Jun 9, 2011, 10:01 AM
well, theres only so much they can steal at a time from the jb community :P

Glenn.955
Jun 9, 2011, 10:03 AM
Does this apply to the iPad. I miss the inclusion of the stocks app on the iPad, as well as Clock, and Calculator.

If Weather and Stocks came to iPad's, this would allow me to get rid of some pointless apps.

No Weather or Stocks in notification screen on my iPad with v5 installed.

Cougarcat
Jun 9, 2011, 10:05 AM
Presumably looking into the sky/out of a window is too retro a method for discerning the current weather?

You can tell the temperature by looking out the window?

dillacom
Jun 9, 2011, 10:09 AM
add it to the iPad's too!

drewisanapple
Jun 9, 2011, 10:22 AM
No Weather or Stocks in notification screen on my iPad with v5 installed.

Disappointing. Wouldn't it make more sense though for people to check stocks on their iPads and check weather outlooks.

TurnerMan
Jun 9, 2011, 10:25 AM
I've always used other weather apps instead of the one Apple includes - I'm looking forward to the hourly forecast so I can plan my beach trips/motorcycle rides around inclement weather.

sunfast
Jun 9, 2011, 10:41 AM
Can you remove stocks & weather completely yet? That'd be the best enhancement for me.

slicecom
Jun 9, 2011, 10:45 AM
Can you remove stocks & weather completely yet? That'd be the best enhancement for me.

Nope, but you can remove the widgets from Notifications.

KakaduDreamer
Jun 9, 2011, 10:53 AM
I always thought it was kinda stupid that Apple didn't include basic Calculator, Stocks and Weather apps on the iPad like they do on the iPhone. Now we have stocks and weather notification widgets on the iPhone implementation of iOS 5 and don't have them on the iPad. Silly Apple!

edwurtle
Jun 9, 2011, 10:54 AM

What bothers me is that they ALREADY have dynamic icons (see calendar app) and they still won't implement it for weather and clock app. I guess the weather and time is "too dynamic" and changes too often.

jayducharme
Jun 9, 2011, 10:57 AM
It would be great if it would let me pick the weather.

LOL! That's only available when you're in Cupertino. It's always sunny and 73 degrees there.

I'm not a fan of the built-in weather app and relegated it to a folder of forgotten apps. I much prefer the Weather Channel's app, which is much more thorough. The map with radar views is what I find most useful. If the built-in app added that feature, I'd probably stick with it.

And I too think that having the icon reflect the current temperature is a good idea.

d21mike
Jun 9, 2011, 11:00 AM
I also use The Weather Channel App but my preference is the simple elegance of the default Weather App Provided. I.E. Easy to read (large) with the most important information for me right away. I like this new hourly and location change. However, I would love them to add Sunrise and Sunset times. These are the main 2 items I use from the other Apps. I also agree with the other person about having the icon show the real temp (like the calendar icon shows todays date). For me I do not want a lot of details on the the icon (like is done with Windows Phone 7). Have to swipe to see this on the Notification Screen is ok but not much different then just hitting the icon. Why not just show the current temp in the icon.

steveihrcke
Jun 9, 2011, 11:10 AM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/09/ios-5-brings-improvements-to-weather-app/)

One staple of iOS since its inception has been the Weather app, a simple home screen powered by Yahoo and The Weather Channel that allows users to add locations and see the current conditions as well as a six-day forecast of high/low temperatures and an icon showing the conditions for each day.

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/wwdc11_weather_notification.jpg)

With iOS 5, Apple has made several minor improvements to the weather functionality, starting of course with the integration of a weather widget into the Notification Center, offering users a glance at weather conditions with a single swipe.

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/ios_5_weather_hourly.jpg)

But Apple has also made improvements to the Weather app, including a "current location" page that uses geolocation to automatically display the weather and forecast for wherever the user is rather than having to manually input a location.

Apple has also increased the level of forecast detail, as tapping on a daily forecast expands the item to display an hour-by-hour forecast of temperatures and conditions, with the user able to easily scroll through the entire list for the day.

Unfortunately, Apple has yet to deploy a dynamic home screen icon for the Weather app that would show the current conditions for the user's location instead of the fixed display of 73 degrees and sunny. But with the weather easily accessible from anywhere via a single swipe in Notification Center, users may find their need for a dynamic home screen icon to be lessened considerably.

Article Link: iOS 5 Brings Improvements to Weather App (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/09/ios-5-brings-improvements-to-weather-app/)

I quit using it due to total inaccuracy...just couldn't depend on it...

jdechko
Jun 9, 2011, 11:27 AM
Dynamic Icon would be easy for Seattle. The forecast would only change twice a year. Overcast/Rainy and 50's from October to June, Sunny and 70's from July to September. :D

Only a few more days till the Seattle summer!

joeshmo2010
Jun 9, 2011, 11:48 AM
Dynamic Icon would be easy for Seattle. The forecast would only change twice a year. Overcast/Rainy and 50's from October to June, Sunny and 70's from July to September. :D

Only a few more days till the Seattle summer!

Haha so true, I love our summers here in Seattle. Gorgeous sunrises and sunsets.

Btw, does anyone think this will use alot of battery? Everyone you swipe down to access the notification center, the location services status icon always appears meaning it searches your location and uses data every time you open it. I wider if there's a way to just have one city up there

iketeru
Jun 9, 2011, 11:52 AM
about time, i've been wanting location-based weather since 2.0!

jonnysods
Jun 9, 2011, 12:18 PM
I'll use it for the lockscreen, but i use Weather Eye for regular weather checking.

Aduntu
Jun 9, 2011, 01:12 PM
You can disable the stock widget and I think developers can make their own.

The weather widget really makes a dynamic icon unnecessary.

Developers have no access to new Notification Center APIs at this point. Unless it's added in the future, your only two options are weather and stocks.

Cagle
Jun 9, 2011, 01:23 PM
What bothers me is that they ALREADY have dynamic icons (see calendar app) and they still won't implement it for weather and clock app. I guess the weather and time is "too dynamic" and changes too often.

I agree, a case could be made for most of the standard icons being dynamic, especially as you can fit more detail in with retina display

photos - shows your last few snaps
ipod - cover art of track playing
maps - where u are located

of course, it would work better if apple did away with the boring grid layout and adopted a tiled Windows style look; those gaps between each icon are a huge waste of space.

alfagta
Jun 9, 2011, 03:00 PM
Nice additions to the weather app. There’s also a new "chance of precipitation" value shown next to the temperature.

Bye Bye Baby
Jun 9, 2011, 03:33 PM
It would be nice if weather, reminders calendar and gps all worked together. Tomorrow my outing in Redding at 1pm and it gave the weather. Or weather forecast for where I am now etc.

Is till think that there is a lot to be done here.

Kissaragi
Jun 9, 2011, 04:23 PM
I like weatherpro, its usually pretty accurate and gives you more info than just a picture and temp.

-LikesMac-
Jun 9, 2011, 04:30 PM
Why doesn't apple let developers have Dynamic Icon API?????

As shown in this notification concept video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqWO6VkJh-0

mw360
Jun 9, 2011, 06:17 PM
Why doesn't apple let developers have Dynamic Icon API?????

As shown in this notification concept video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqWO6VkJh-0

Perhaps because in order to update the icon the app needs to be running in the background, and iOS doesn't really allow that for 3rd party apps. If that API was available, it would basically be a backdoor to creating homescreen widgets. It seems Apple doesn't want that because of the battery hit.

soundsgoodtome
Jun 9, 2011, 09:29 PM

what do you know? another commenter who lacks imagination... :-)

• here in southern california, where it's almost always sunny, the temperature does, in fact vary. sometimes it's sunny and 90°. sometimes it's sunny and 60°. i often look at the weather app to determine the current temperature.

• i know people who work in offices or recording studios that have no windows. so, they can't just "look outside."

• when i'm about to travel, i set my weather app to display a city *other* than my own. it'd be nice to see, at a glance, what the weather's like in my city of destination before i hop on the plane.

i could go on, but you get the point...

iansilv
Jun 9, 2011, 09:35 PM
it would be great if it would let me pick the weather.

lol! :d

iansilv
Jun 9, 2011, 09:39 PM
I sure would like to see the option- and I mean OPTION of a 7 day forecast on the weather widget just like lockinfo...

TheOrioles33
Jun 9, 2011, 09:51 PM
I sure would like to see the option- and I mean OPTION of a 7 day forecast on the weather widget just like lockinfo...

It has the 5 day forecast but you have to swipe left or right to see it.

I also hope they add the weather widget to the lockscreen. Currently its only available in the notification center when unlocked.

iansilv
Jun 9, 2011, 10:08 PM
It has the 5 day forecast but you have to swipe left or right to see it.

I also hope they add the weather widget to the lockscreen. Currently its only available in the notification center when unlocked.

Oh I know- I just want an option to show it all the time, below the current weather, with the next six days showing, as the current day is at the top. That would give me a full seven days. Like the mockup below, except the days in the row would be shifted over by one, so the row of forecasted dates were Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and ending with Wednesday.

immortalix
Jun 9, 2011, 10:52 PM
I like how AAPL is valued at 376 in the picture, gotta be one of its all time high

NightFox
Jun 10, 2011, 04:19 AM
Every time weather.app gets mentioned, there always seem to be cries for a dynamic icon which I really don't understand. Sure, we have one for the calendar which makes sense as people often need to quickly check the date. However, do people really have a frequent need to know what the current temperature/weather is where they are? I've not been outside today, but looking out of my window I could tell you what the temp is out there and get it right to within a few degrees, which is the same level of accuracy you get with weather.app (if you're lucky). In fact, my eyes probably get it right more often than the app anyway. Even if you're working away in a windowless environment, the temperature outside is not going to be much different than what it was when you got to work. And in that case, why do you need to know the temp anyway - what are you going to do different? If there's critical things you need to do due to changes in the temperature, I'd suggest you should be running an accurate monitoring system rather than relying on an iPhone app giving approximate local conditions.

This really isn't a dig at anyone, I'm really just at a loss to understand why people actually want this with such a passion (beyond the gimmick factor). The only real 'use' I can see it being put to is when you're in the garden with your wife and she says "phew, it's hot", you can glance at your iPhone and say "yes, it's xx degrees!". Someone help me see the need please!

There's also issues of practicality (as with having a dynamic clock.app icon which really would be a gimmick) - you've got to have icon images for every combination of conceivable temperature (in both celcius and fahrenheit) and weather (sun, rain, snow, cloud etc) - that's quite a few. At least calendar.app only needs 31.

However, now I've got all that off my chest, let me point out that the weather.app icon actually is a dynamic icon - if you've got the weather set to appear in fahrenheit it shows 73 all the time, if you've got it set to celcius in shows 23. ;)

batchtaster
Jun 10, 2011, 08:23 AM
The best enhancement they could make would be to ditch Yahoo Weather and use something else, because the current version is regularly 3-4 degrees C (5.5-7 degrees F) out in certain international locations. ie: mine.

Presenting the weather with more features and more options is pointless if you're presenting the wrong weather.

Lahmy88
Jun 11, 2011, 09:26 AM
dynamic icons for apps such as weather should still be something to aim for

caspersoong
Jun 11, 2011, 09:40 AM
I just want it to remember the weather while offline and all the forecasts and when last updated no matter what I do.

Blobs21
Jun 11, 2011, 10:03 AM
You know one thing that has really changed???
The battery on my iPhone 4 after installing iOS 5. It just keeps on plummeting even when I am doing ordinary tasks.

something3153
Jun 11, 2011, 05:25 PM
Every time weather.app gets mentioned, there always seem to be cries for a dynamic icon which I really don't understand. Sure, we have one for the calendar which makes sense as people often need to quickly check the date. However, do people really have a frequent need to know what the current temperature/weather is where they are? I've not been outside today, but looking out of my window I could tell you what the temp is out there and get it right to within a few degrees, which is the same level of accuracy you get with weather.app (if you're lucky). In fact, my eyes probably get it right more often than the app anyway. Even if you're working away in a windowless environment, the temperature outside is not going to be much different than what it was when you got to work. And in that case, why do you need to know the temp anyway - what are you going to do different? If there's critical things you need to do due to changes in the temperature, I'd suggest you should be running an accurate monitoring system rather than relying on an iPhone app giving approximate local conditions.

This really isn't a dig at anyone, I'm really just at a loss to understand why people actually want this with such a passion (beyond the gimmick factor). The only real 'use' I can see it being put to is when you're in the garden with your wife and she says "phew, it's hot", you can glance at your iPhone and say "yes, it's xx degrees!". Someone help me see the need please!

There's also issues of practicality (as with having a dynamic clock.app icon which really would be a gimmick) - you've got to have icon images for every combination of conceivable temperature (in both celcius and fahrenheit) and weather (sun, rain, snow, cloud etc) - that's quite a few. At least calendar.app only needs 31.

However, now I've got all that off my chest, let me point out that the weather.app icon actually is a dynamic icon - if you've got the weather set to appear in fahrenheit it shows 73 all the time, if you've got it set to celcius in shows 23. ;)

Maybe where you are the temperature is going to be about the same when you get to work and when you go outside. For me, all winter I keep an eye on the temperature waiting for it to approach the peak for the day before taking off for my run. You can't tell that by looking outside. There's not a lot of visible difference for temperature here when the sun is shining. It's also just lazy and sloppy to show incorrect weather, but this is Apple doing it, so it's forgiven and sensible.

Carl Sagan
Jun 11, 2011, 06:07 PM
Be nice if they chose to include the pollen count and pollution too...

jowie
Jun 12, 2011, 12:45 PM
True, but it'd be a nice touch. The problem is not so much that it doesn't show the weather on the icon, it's that it shows the WRONG weather on the icon. There's nothing more annoying than sitting in a drizzly office in London in the middle of Winter, looking at an icon on the Springboard that tells me it's 23° and Sunny.

NightFox
Jun 12, 2011, 12:50 PM
.... There's nothing more annoying than sitting in a drizzly office in London in the middle of Winter, looking at an icon on the Springboard that tells me it's 23° and Sunny.

Yes there is - sitting in a drizzly office in London in the middle of June, looking at an icon on the Springboard that tells me it's 23° and Sunny. ;)

jowie
Jun 12, 2011, 12:57 PM
Really? Didn't know that. And I only just realised that it was showing celcius and therefore couldn't be the same icon in the US. :)

So they can provide a dynamic icon. Just let it update twice a day. Or once even! I don't care, just make it look right.

Springboard's looking rather dated... I really like the look of the the dynamic tiles on Windows Phone. Though I don't plan on switching ;)

NightFox
Jun 12, 2011, 01:02 PM
Maybe where you are the temperature is going to be about the same when you get to work and when you go outside. For me, all winter I keep an eye on the temperature waiting for it to approach the peak for the day before taking off for my run. You can't tell that by looking outside. There's not a lot of visible difference for temperature here when the sun is shining. It's also just lazy and sloppy to show incorrect weather, but this is Apple doing it, so it's forgiven and sensible.

Are you honestly telling me you'd rely on weather.app for that? The icon isn't actually going to give any more accurate an indication than the app already gives now, and I'd be surprised if that's going to be accurate enough for what you mentioned. Another thing is the app doesn't indicate wind or wind speed which is going to have a significant impact on the apparent temperature. Still, I'm not going to argue with what would work for you, you know best ;)

Also, applying a bit of maths, if you assume the icon would need to be able to show a range of temps between -20 and 80 (to cater for celsius and fahrenheit) and there are at a guess about 10 different pictures to represent the different types of weather, that's 1,000 different variants required for the icon.

jowie
Jun 12, 2011, 01:04 PM
Also (I'm getting into this now ;)) if you can just look out of the window, why show the current weather at your location inside the app at all?

NightFox
Jun 12, 2011, 01:06 PM
Also (I'm getting into this now ;)) if you can just look out of the window, why show the current weather at your location inside the app at all?

That's like TV weather forecasting for you:

50% telling you what the weather did today - useless
25% telling you what the weather is doing now - useless, I can see for myself
25% guessing what it's going to do and getting it wrong 50% of the time

jowie
Jun 12, 2011, 01:11 PM
Also, applying a bit of maths, if you assume the icon would need to be able to show a range of temps between -20 and 80 (to cater for celsius and fahrenheit) and there are at a guess about 10 different pictures to represent the different types of weather, that's 1,000 different variants required for the icon.
I don't think you are aware of how dynamic icons work... The icon is built up using component parts, you don't just store all the combinations on disk. Even the calendar icon doesn't store all combinations.

NightFox
Jun 12, 2011, 01:39 PM
I don't think you are aware of how dynamic icons work... The icon is built up using component parts, you don't just store all the combinations on disk. Even the calendar icon doesn't store all combinations.

I was under the impression (just from what I'd read previously) that iOS wasn't capable of generating icons on the fly - not disputing you if you say this definitely isn't the case, but surprised to hear that

reactions
Jun 12, 2011, 01:41 PM
That's why weather icon from cydia rocks

jowie
Jun 12, 2011, 02:08 PM
I was under the impression (just from what I'd read previously) that iOS wasn't capable of generating icons on the fly - not disputing you if you say this definitely isn't the case, but surprised to hear that
Apple is definitely capable of creating a system for dynamic icons, even if it's a private API. You could definitely create them using Core Graphics technologies, so it's not that much of a leap to save those images to the icon file.

I can't believe that the Calendar app has 217 built-in icons, that would be insane... :eek:

jowie
Jun 12, 2011, 02:09 PM
That's why weather icon from cydia rocks
If it can be done in Cydia, then Apple definitely have the ability!

GregA
Jun 12, 2011, 05:25 PM
The best enhancement they could make would be to ditch Yahoo Weather and use something else, because the current version is regularly 3-4 degrees C (5.5-7 degrees F) out in certain international locations. ie: mine.

Presenting the weather with more features and more options is pointless if you're presenting the wrong weather.

Yes the weather app is misleading in Australia. Not sure where they get the details from.

That's like TV weather forecasting for you:
25% guessing what it's going to do and getting it wrong 50% of the time

Just to be clear, this is about the weather app not using the Australian Bureau of Meteorology to get its weather information and predictions. It still can get it wrong, but why not use the best source info?

Today the forecast is only 1'c different.

diamond.g
Jun 12, 2011, 05:40 PM
Yes the weather app is misleading in Australia. Not sure where they get the details from.

Just to be clear, this is about the weather app not using the Australian Bureau of Meteorology to get its weather information and predictions. It still can get it wrong, but why not use the best source info?

Today the forecast is only 1'c different.

Is yahoo weather off as well? That is the source that Apple uses.

Since '84
Jun 13, 2011, 06:13 AM
I would like to be able to set the weather for my current location and have it come true. Come on Apple I know you can do it ;)