Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TiPb has posted a side-by-side comparison video showing the differences between Blackberry's BBM and Apple's new iMessage. BBM is Blackberry's proprietary messaging system which has been seen as the inspiration for Apple's own implementation. BBM offers more user management features with groups, while iMessage offers relatively seamless SMS integration.

Article Link: iOS 5 iMessage vs Blackberry BBM Video

thinkindie

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
it should be noted that while the BB is connected through the 3G network (I can't see any wifi indicator or maybe it's just me not familiar with BB interface), the iPhone is connected through a wifi connection. Just for the sake of objectivity.

Plus I'd like to say that we can't compare two messaging system where one is in beta and few messages sent (iMessage) and the other one that is used by many more users.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I love how he just said "We rip it off, we stole it. " Rena owned up to it. Funny part is Kevin is his boss now.

Sparced

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
The iPhones photos are going to be bigger in file size due to the higher res camera.

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
I love how he just said "We rip it off, we stole it. " Rena owned up to it. Funny part is Kevin is his boss now.

To me they both sounded stupid.

BBM is no innovation or something very different. AIM and platform-specific and cross-platform messaging clients have been there since ages.

These being so mature sound like kids when talk about these stupid copy/paste things.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
BBM is just a copy of cross platform IMs like ICQ, AIM, MSN and Yahoo Messenger.

The only thing unique about BBM is that is is proprietary to Blackberry.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
BBM is just a copy of cross platform IMs like ICQ, AIM, MSN and Yahoo Messenger.

minus the fact that BBM has been around since before those ever even hit phones.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I really like that they added this feature. No more "I didn't read your text" responses. Suckas!

There's an option to disable read receipts for your messages so it's possible people can't see whether or not you've read it lol

I like iMessage because I need the person's phone number.. I don't need a PIN. I don't need anything from them but 1 thing.. the rest is seamless and is automated. Win for Apple with that.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

The exact same applies to iMessage....stop being a silly little fanboi and grow up.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
So does this mean we can totally cancel AT&T's SMS service from our iPhone's now?

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
What they didn't cover is the fact if you send to a group of people, one recipient may be using an iOS device with iMessenger, and the other may have another phone and they will receive the message as a SMS/MMS.

BBM will only send to another Blackberry phone through BBM. SMS is another app.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
What they didn't cover is the fact if you send to a group of people, one recipient may be using an iOS device with iMessenger, and the other may have another phone and they will receive the message as a SMS/MMS.

This is what increases the 'cult' aspect of BBM, the fact that you have to have a BB to get the benefits of the system. Because iMessage is integrated into the SMS app, I don't think it will ever reach the same level of user-obsession as BBM - it will just be another neat feature of iOS, not something that actually draws users to that device.

Can iMessage create chatrooms like BBM? Where multiple contacts are added to a chat, and any messages sent by any person are received by all people in that chatroom? That is a massive feature of BBM (distinct from groups because the chatroom participants have to be on your contact list, whereas in BBM groups they don't have to be).

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006

I was wondering about that myself. Glad it works that way.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
Can iMessage create chatrooms like BBM? Where multiple contacts are added to a chat, and any messages sent by any person are received by all people in that chatroom? That is a massive feature of BBM (distinct from groups because the chatroom participants have to be on your contact list, whereas in BBM groups they don't have to be).

If it doesn't now, maybe it will in the future. That'd be a sweet feature.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
The exact same applies to iMessage....stop being a silly little fanboi and grow up.
Do you have anything constructive to say or are you just here to insult people?

The fact remains that BBM was not the first instant messenger regardless of how it started out and we have had MSN, AIM and Yahoo Messenger apps on iPhones for ages now.

I'm not going around insulting people for the platform they use. What does not make you? :rolleyes: Causal users of a platform do not generally insult others for what they use.

But thanks for stating the obvious that iMessage is also currently exclusive to iOS. Apple could easily expand it to include macs like they have done with Facetime.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007

Kind of, it works just like it does when you send a multi-recipient SMS.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
iMessage is built in to the messages app, and automatically checks if your recipient is signed up (most iPhone users would be, as soon as they sign in to the AppStore). If they are, it sends the message over the data connection; if not is sends an SMS/MMS.

For users, it's completely transparent. You only see iMessage as a pointer to distinguish against an SMS. It's basically free SMSes to iOS devices, now including the iPad and iPod touch (who knows? AppleTV?).

That's all I see it as - free messages. That's how it's being advertised in the UI.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
To me they both sounded stupid.

BBM is no innovation or something very different. AIM and platform-specific and cross-platform messaging clients have been there since ages.

These being so mature sound like kids when talk about these stupid copy/paste things.

^ Someone who has NO IDEA what their talking about. The principle is the same but its MUCH better.

^ yet again someone whom doesn't KNOW what their talking about.

BBM:
IM - instant messaging, plain & simple
IM - Real-Time READ/DELIVERED receipts which is AUTOMATIC not configured.
IM - Send Pics/Videos/VoiceNotes ..
Scaleable - this has been proven in over 25 million - to - 37 million users!
Check on Tube with Kevin testing how many ppl can be added to BBM ... it went crazy and over thousand users before getting a hiccup.

Groups! Join without a contact list, share Calendar with Group members, pictures, voice notes, videos - which are SEPARATE from your OWN!

This works on GPRS, EDGE, 3G, and WLAN!

ALERTS are configurable for importance ... MANY corporations rely on BBM and BBMGroups:
BNSF
IBM
BMO
TD
CIBC
RoyalBank
american deaf association (haven't worked here)

^ I know because I've worked at them all and have helped documentation for ALL along with real world use.

I like where Apple is going with this; but it needs to grow in power.

You guys are worse than analysts, knock features of a platform without fully understanding or knowing its true power just cause the analysts, investors, and fanboy's follow along like ... well ... Lemmings!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There's an option to disable read receipts for your messages so it's possible people can't see whether or not you've read it lol

I like iMessage because I need the person's phone number.. I don't need a PIN. I don't need anything from them but 1 thing.. the rest is seamless and is automated. Win for Apple with that.

LOSS for Apple actually.

BBM rely's on PIN for a reason. You either archive your PIN on a MicroSD or to their "cloud" called the NOC. Circumstances occur where your device changes or your provider is being a greedy bitch or you moved. This shouldn't affect friendships or communications. When you switch providers in a hurry your number will NOT transfer until after 24hrs minimum (you have temporary). However if you move to another area code or province/state/country ... your number is PERMANENTLY changed. If said friend forgot YOUR number ... iMessage no longer works. BBM prompts you based on your email address (not isolated to the free provider based one) and BOOM your contacts if saved to the NOC (load from MicroSD alternative) ... and ALL your friends are updated and get your new PIN automatically!!

^ THIS is the reason RIM grew so quickly in the consumer market - before adding camera's (long overdue after the 7100 shipped on T-Mobile USA), MicroSD cards, NA 3G, and better hardware designs (8800 onward; older devices looked HARRIBLE). In country's that have cultures that traditionally thrive on communication vs 'possessions' this is king.

Research kids before you knock stuff you don't fully know. Apple can learn alot from this.

iMessage will advance over time and I look forward to it on my iPhone 4/5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.