PDA

View Full Version : iOS 5 Streams Track/Artist Information to Bluetooth Audio Devices

MacRumors
Jun 9, 2011, 07:20 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/09/ios-5-streams-trackartist-information-to-bluetooth-audio-devices/)

Buried in the hundreds of new features in iOS 5 is support for AVRCP 1.3 (http://www.9to5mac.com/71425/ios-5-devices-now-transmit-albumtrackartist-data-to-a-bluetooth-audio-devices/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29) (or maybe even 1.4!), a Bluetooth standard that gives iPhones the ability to send artist, album and track name information to Bluetooth audio devices such as those in the stereos of some newer cars.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/bluetoothiphone-500x276.jpg

iOS has been stuck at AVRCP 1.0 for nearly a year (http://www.9to5mac.com/19663/iOS-4-1-Gains-Full-Bluetooth-Playback-Control-AVRCP-Support/), and though the iPhone allowed control of the some music playback (back, next, play/pause, and volume up/down), the device wouldn't pass on information about what song was currently playing. In iOS 5, that all changes.

For more information, check out Wikipedia's page on the different versions of AVRCP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile#Audio.2FVideo_Remote_Control_Profile_.28AVRCP.29) and what, exactly, each version supports.

Article Link: iOS 5 Streams Track/Artist Information to Bluetooth Audio Devices (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/09/ios-5-streams-trackartist-information-to-bluetooth-audio-devices/)

calebkingston
Jun 9, 2011, 07:23 PM
Does this mean I'll be able to browse my contacts on my Bluetooth stereo also? Right now, I can only see the number displayed when others call.

stustill
Jun 9, 2011, 07:31 PM
Does this mean I'll be able to browse my contacts on my Bluetooth stereo also? Right now, I can only see the number displayed when others call.

No, that's another Bluetooth profile. I'm able to browse my contacts over bluetooth with iOS 4.

rootyb
Jun 9, 2011, 07:34 PM
Ummm... How do you do this? My car (2011 Mazda 3) supports it, but my iPhone on iOS5 isn't sending the data. Maybe I have to re-pair it?

stustill
Jun 9, 2011, 07:40 PM
Ummm... How do you do this? My car (2011 Mazda 3) supports it, but my iPhone on iOS5 isn't sending the data. Maybe I have to re-pair it?

I just paired my device and it started transmitting the data, although only the track title. The artist and album were missing. Beta 1 has been very unstable wrt. AVRCP for me, I struggle to pair with my car stereo.

joejoejoe
Jun 9, 2011, 07:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Are we still able to control the iPod trough the phone itself? When I connect my iPhone 4 to my Prius through USB, I can only control through the car's nab system which is really tedious. When j connect through Bluetooth I can only control through the phone, which I prefer. If this new Bluetooth standard means I can no longer control trough the phone, this is very sad news.

stustill
Jun 9, 2011, 07:44 PM
Under iOS 4 and 5 I've been able to control music playback via both the iPhone music app and the car stereo/steering wheel controls.

Currently iOS5 will not stop you controlling music from the phone... who knows, maybe by the time it's released in Autumn you'll have both control options too.

gdkid2010
Jun 9, 2011, 08:00 PM
I read this as I was streaming to my car stereo through Bluetooth (yes, I have 5.0) and no artist/song info for me.... just "Media Stream" displays. I have Ford SYNC. Anyone else have SYNC and getting it to work?

jonnysods
Jun 9, 2011, 09:20 PM
That's cool!

shareef777
Jun 9, 2011, 10:14 PM
Also have a 2011 Mazda 3 and no info is shown.

eekcat
Jun 9, 2011, 10:31 PM
Metadata streaming fine on a 2011 bmw 335 (w/ idrive)... Only from the ipod app though.

fabianvs
Jun 10, 2011, 01:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would be interested to see if anyone can get this working on a Ford SYNC

spazzcat
Jun 10, 2011, 07:22 AM
I haven't noticed this with in my car, now I will have to check on my way home this evening....

spazzcat
Jun 10, 2011, 07:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have suck mean SYNC as well :) I will have to play around with it tonight...

patora
Jun 10, 2011, 09:29 AM

I have iOS 5 and Sync (2009 Lincoln MKX)...no artist of title info being show. I have had a couple random disconnects though.

guzhogi
Jun 10, 2011, 09:30 AM
I don't have anything that uses this, but I really hope Apple uses the latest & greatest version of this. People say that it's about how things are used, not just the specs. My feeling is specs & how it's used go hand in hand. You can't do a lot of cool usability stuff without good specs, and specs mean nothing if they aren't usable. Plus, with the best specs, there's always the bragging rights. Seeing what many people on MacRumors write, a lot of you seem to really like the high specced stuff.

eekcat
Jun 10, 2011, 11:34 AM
Now the next question is whether Apple has updated the Bluetooth MAP profile to allow for "office" functions like calendar/sms/etc... (it's enabled for some blackberries and other phones, I think) It doesn't seem like it so far. It kind of sucks to always be one step behind.

COBRASVT
Jun 10, 2011, 01:37 PM
Wonder if they'll finally have the SMS bluetooth profile as well. Once could only hope...might finally be able to utilize the bluetooth watch that shows the callers and sms.

bgtrack
Jun 10, 2011, 01:42 PM
I too have a 2011 Mazda 3. I repaired the phone and I am still only able to see "BT Audio" displayed. No track information.

imnotatfault
Jun 10, 2011, 05:04 PM
Brand new 2011 Mazda3 also unable to get metadata from iOS 5 beta.

Subscribing with hopes that someone somewhere finds a solution.

kppolich
Jun 10, 2011, 05:21 PM
Anyone know about load times for the information??

budman1961
Jun 10, 2011, 06:57 PM
Confirmed, iOS5 transmits Artist/Track info to my Sync system in my 2011 Ford Edge Sport, it did not in iOS4. :D

eekcat
Jun 10, 2011, 07:18 PM
Anyone know about load times for the information??

It's just about instantaneous for me...

mrfrosty
Jun 10, 2011, 11:22 PM
working perfectly in my 2010 Volvo S60

tullys
Jun 11, 2011, 03:27 AM
working perfectly in my 2010 Volvo S60

Thanks MrFrosty, I thought that had really put the final nail in my coffin.

Not sure why I even started to tantalise myself reading this thread; my MY09 Volvo V50, doesn't even have DAB as an option and can't even talk USB to my 3G (long story) as I can't upgrade to 4.3 to get the bug-fix.

So when I read the story I thought I doubt my V50 will support that. But you've given me hope, according to:

http://www.volvocars.com/intl/sales-services/sales/bluetooth/pages/faqbpm.aspx

there may be hope for when I upgrade to which ever iPhone gets launched next.

Obviously if anyone has tried this in a MY09 or later V50, I'd be interested to know you mileage ("If you'll pardon the pun").

Lahmy88
Jun 11, 2011, 06:26 AM
this is good ;)

caspersoong
Jun 11, 2011, 09:47 AM
Great. But of course more support is needed.

Warbrain
Jun 12, 2011, 01:58 PM
I don't have an in-dash unit but I will say that the audio quality to my Bluetooth aux-in adapter is greatly improved in iOS 5.

jonnySkyman
Jun 12, 2011, 02:46 PM
Anyone know if it transmits album art too? My Alpine displays album art via the dock connector and it would be cool to have it on BT too.

eekcat
Jun 12, 2011, 06:38 PM
Anyone know if it transmits album art too? My Alpine displays album art via the dock connector and it would be cool to have it on BT too.

Not that I've seen... I'm not even sure album art is part of AVRCP...

heyjp
Jun 12, 2011, 09:06 PM
2011 VW Tiguan does not appear to pick up song title and controls with iOS 5.

tonyunreal
Jun 12, 2011, 09:18 PM
Not working on my Sony Ericsson HBH-DS980 headset.

gennacide
Jun 12, 2011, 10:48 PM
I too have a 2011 Mazda 3. I repaired the phone and I am still only able to see "BT Audio" displayed. No track information.

I did the same thing to mine. 2011 Mazda speed3. Manual says it supports AVRCP 1.3.

I screwed up my phone upgrading to iOS 5 just so I could do this since I just got the phone. Im really disappointed now.

Is it the car or the phone???

If anyone knows please let me know.

Thanks

davidgrimm
Jun 13, 2011, 12:57 PM
Does IOS support A2DP? Who cares if the title is transmitted wirelessly if I still have to have it connected to get it to play the music.

lw9090
Jun 13, 2011, 01:34 PM
iOS5 Beta won't pair with my 2011 Camaro, it just connects for a sec then disconnects, connects, disconnects etc.

anyone else lose their pairing with thier Car?

The Norman
Jun 13, 2011, 01:42 PM
Bluetooth audio quality can downgrade even lossless files down to mush. I guess it is good to add metadata since you cannot tell what song it is from the sound :p

eekcat
Jun 13, 2011, 03:10 PM
Does IOS support A2DP? Who cares if the title is transmitted wirelessly if I still have to have it connected to get it to play the music.

A2DP has been supported for a long while now. This is about AVRCP 1.3 (or 1.4), which allows for streaming of metadata, along with the basic set of audio controls.

DanRyb
Jun 13, 2011, 10:19 PM
Add me to the list of Mazda 3 users (2010) here. I've always streamed my music over Bluetooth but even with iOS 5, my in-dash does not get any track information. Bummer!!

shareef777
Jun 14, 2011, 06:47 AM
Add me to the list of Mazda 3 users (2010) here. I've always streamed my music over Bluetooth but even with iOS 5, my in-dash does not get any track information. Bummer!!

Has anyone with a Mazda been able to get ANY bluetooth device to stream info? Curious if it's the car that has the issue.

gennacide
Jun 14, 2011, 07:36 AM
Has anyone with a Mazda been able to get ANY bluetooth device to stream info? Curious if it's the car that has the issue.

Good question! I've been wondering the same thing!

It says it does in the 2011 manual.

mdntblu
Jun 14, 2011, 11:08 PM
I have a 2009 Ford Focus with Sync and there is no BT information streamed to my car. I don't have Text Message support either. Sync says "Not available" when I click on Text Message.
LAME. IOS 5 BT isn't really any better for me than IOS 4.

TEZMANIAC777
Jun 15, 2011, 08:44 AM
Does anyone if the 2010 Nissan Armada has this availability? I have not been able to stream at all since this has been implimented through the iOS update in version 3.

mdntblu
Jun 21, 2011, 01:09 AM
This post sure died quick. Anyone else have anymore to say about it? What have people figured out with Microsoft Sync in Ford?

Snapperjw
Jun 21, 2011, 09:30 AM
iOS5 Beta won't pair with my 2011 Camaro, it just connects for a sec then disconnects, connects, disconnects etc.

anyone else lose their pairing with thier Car?

Yes I have the same issue on my Nissan Connect system ( 2011 car ) It goes mad with connecting, disconnecting, connecting, disconnecting. It eventually gives up after about 5 attempts.

Worked with ios 4 but not happy with ios 5.

hppy29
Jun 21, 2011, 12:52 PM
Yes I have the same issue on my Nissan Connect system ( 2011 car ) It goes mad with connecting, disconnecting, connecting, disconnecting. It eventually gives up after about 5 attempts.

Worked with ios 4 but not happy with ios 5.

I have no issues with my Connect using iPhone 4 on iOS5 but it does not show any details. I did have to removed the paired device from the connect and re-pair it and the same on the phone to get it to work..

bdavidson
Jun 22, 2011, 07:00 PM
Correction: I was able to get it to work in my Infiniti. Disconnected all the bluetooth devices and re-added. Then it worked.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 22, 2011, 07:08 PM
Good thing Apple did this. It is a nice feature to add to iOS.

MythicFrost
Jun 22, 2011, 08:02 PM
I don't know what they did. But now I can't play YouTube videos through my car's steroes (via usb connection). :(

jace88
Jul 17, 2011, 09:32 PM
Wonder if they'll finally have the SMS bluetooth profile as well. Once could only hope...might finally be able to utilize the bluetooth watch that shows the callers and sms.

I'm hoping this + the internet profile over Bluetooth will be enabled so that I can finally use my COMAND Online system in the Mercedes to connect to the internet, download my routes from Google Maps and read my SMS out loud.

redisant
Sep 13, 2011, 10:01 AM
2011 Subaru STI. My iPhone running iOS 5 beta 7 streams and display album, artist and track title info on my radio. My problem is, if I leave the bluetooth turned on in my phone the car starts playing music automatically any time I start the car even if the BT Audio source isn't selected. So every time I get in the car I have to remember to pause the Music app otherwise I realize way later that my battery is significantly depleted. Anyone else have this issue and possibly a solution?

charlyc
Sep 19, 2011, 06:24 PM
2011 Subaru STI. My iPhone running iOS 5 beta 7 streams and display album, artist and track title info on my radio. My problem is, if I leave the bluetooth turned on in my phone the car starts playing music automatically any time I start the car even if the BT Audio source isn't selected. So every time I get in the car I have to remember to pause the Music app otherwise I realize way later that my battery is significantly depleted. Anyone else have this issue and possibly a solution?

That happened to me once but recently can't reconnect when I turn of the car and then start again. Unless I go to Bluetooth on the phone and hit that profile.

Smi77y
Oct 16, 2011, 11:13 AM
Mazda 3 here (2011) no BT information from iPhone 4s either. Subscribing, hope this ends up working. Also, can anyone activate Siri from the steering wheel? It says to hold the talk button but its not working for me.

harrycoomer
Oct 28, 2011, 05:31 PM
Mazda 3 (2010) same issue.

toolbox
Oct 30, 2011, 03:02 AM
Yes This feature is so so cool, i didn't realise it until i paired my phone with my dads car. Now when we go driving i just stream music to it, and he the same with his iPhone 4.

Mums car is mazda 3 but it doesn't have bluetooth in it, only AUX i.e. 3.5 inch audio plug. Which sucks but better then nothing :)

missark
Nov 1, 2011, 01:43 PM
I am getting song/artist info but my "shuffle" does not work any more - the first song is played and then then next song is the next song in alpha order. I have 3gs with Ios5, Shuffle worked previously.

derekivey
Jan 8, 2012, 07:44 PM

I have a 2012 Mazda 3 and noticed the stream info wasn't working with my iPhone 4S (iOS 5.0.1). I did try it with my HP Touchpad (running Android / CM 7.3) and the stream info DOES work. I hope Apple fixes this soon...

dtrachtman
Jan 11, 2012, 08:07 AM
One of the reasons I upgraded my phone was so that I could get track/artist info. Doesnt work for mine either. Reading the manual for my car, it says it should. So frustrating..

If someone figures out the issue, please post. thanks

shareef777
Jan 11, 2012, 02:20 PM
One of the reasons I upgraded my phone was so that I could get track/artist info. Doesnt work for mine either. Reading the manual for my car, it says it should. So frustrating..

If someone figures out the issue, please post. thanks

Issue is with Apple's implementation of AVRCP for bluetooth. For some reason, they're still on version 1.0. Until they update the code to the next rev (1.3), we'll only have basic functionality.

derekivey
Jan 27, 2012, 09:44 PM
I submitted a bug report a few weeks ago and Apple replied the other day requesting that I send them the console log (from the iPhone Configuration Utility). I sent it to them and have not heard back since. Hopefully it helps them figure out the issue.

There's also a thread (https://discussions.apple.com/message/17404042#17404042) on Apple's forums and someone talked to Mazda Customer Support and they were having a conference call with their technical people about it. Hopefully it gets fixed.

motorazr
Jan 30, 2012, 12:39 PM
So... it sounds like those who are having success with Sync and iOS 5's streaming of info are using a ford or lincoln from 2011 / 2012 with the new version of sync... right? No one has had any success with the previous versions of sync from 2010 or earlier?

I've got a 2010 Milan hand haven't seen any success but I didn't know if it's time to give up or not. I know the USB info works fine and always has..

jace88
Feb 13, 2012, 11:42 AM
Hmm my MY2012 Mercedes C Class still isn't receiving track data even with iOS5 streaming over BT. How odd :(

sbauer
Mar 1, 2012, 02:56 PM
I can't get the song information to show up in our 2012 Honda Pilot. My wife's Android phone works fine, but the track information isn't being displayed with my iOS 5 iPhone.

jace88
Mar 1, 2012, 06:07 PM
Presume not every car supports ID3 tags over BT then :S

sbauer
Mar 3, 2012, 04:39 PM
I'm sure that's true, but the car has no problem displaying stuff from my wife's android so the car can do it.

derekivey
Mar 16, 2012, 08:47 PM
I'm sure that's true, but the car has no problem displaying stuff from my wife's android so the car can do it.
It's quite disappointing that Apple hasn't fixed this yet. I confirmed that my 2012 Mazda3 supports it, because it works just fine with my HP Touchpad (running Android).