Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsf8x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Just ordered a new iPad and I'm looking for a high quality good looking case for under $50.

Thanks in advance

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
STM Skinny. They also make awesome carrying bags for it. Look it up, it has a nice sleek look. It has the same positions as the smart cover, and it protects the corners. And as the name implies, it's skinny, but not too skinny, just thin enough to protect but not be bulky. I dropped my iPad on a concrete floor, it hit the corner, bounced, landed, and the case and iPad were in 100% condition. I highly recommend it.

jsf8x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
STM Skinny. They also make awesome carrying bags for it. Look it up, it has a nice sleek look. It has the same positions as the smart cover, and it protects the corners. And as the name implies, it's skinny, but not too skinny, just thin enough to protect but not be bulky. I dropped my iPad on a concrete floor, it hit the corner, bounced, landed, and the case and iPad were in 100% condition. I highly recommend it.

I read somewhere that every time you close it you have to put the little tab in to seal it or whatever. Does that become an issue when your in a hurry?

Grimes

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
I read somewhere that every time you close it you have to put the little tab in to seal it or whatever. Does that become an issue when your in a hurry?

There is a pretty long thread in this forum on the STM Skinny. I read through almost all of it and most everyone is thrilled with this case. The only negative was something about the magnet not working properly on the early batches of the case. That said, someone from STM registered here just to tell people to contact them directly and they'll send you a fix or replacement for free.

Seems like a pretty solid case and company.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I'll vote for the STM Skinny. I've had it since it came out and have zero complaints. The one issue with it going to sleep when the cover was folded back was quickly remediated. I emailed radtech on a Thursday and had the patch the following Monday. It has not had the issue since.

If you read thru the thread, you will find that it is almost exclusively praised for being a great case. There are very few complaints and most of them are because the case is something that it's not supposed to be. It's not leather, it doesn't have 100% coverage, however it does have 100% protection.

It's a really great case.

I might add that STM is actually coming out with a new microfiber faux leather case in early July which I expect to be equally nice if not better. Not sure what it'll cost but I'd bet it will be reasonable.

Sanveann

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Michigan
Got the STM Skinny last week and really like it -- protects corners, doesn't cover bezel and doesn't add bulk. Tab isn't a pain at all, IMHO.

mayflower

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2011

me too, it is light, handy and cheap.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
Chinao folio case. Definitely best one out there rite now.

I just found pics of their latest style which is like the Vaja; comes in real leather and looks pretty good:

1307729248535-410852847.png

13076533016221780000882.png

1307653302157395784446.png

13077683121211851267203.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.