Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kLy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
There's now an Archive menu item as well as a corresponding toolbar button. This creates a folder "Archive" if it doesn't exist and moves the items there.

I can't seem to find a way to set which folder the "Archive" button moves the mail to though. Is this hard coded? or has anyone found a way to set this? I'm guessing there should be a menu option: Mailbox -> Use this Mailbox for -> Archive, but there isn't.

mk2ja

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
Seems like using the Trash can button is still the way to Archive a message from a Gmail account. It removes it from the current folder but not from the All Mail folder.

Of course, I'd rather use the Archive button so that I don't have to check whether a message is in the Gmail account or another account if I'm using the all-inboxes view. It's great Lion has an Archive button—Mail didn't have one before—now we just need to get it working like we want it to!

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have archiving disabled for gmail, so that emails that are deleted are sent to the trash first, then permanently deleted when the trash is emptied. Emails also disappear from the All Mail folder.

In Mail in Lion, how do I disable archiving? Emails that I delete still end up in the All Mail folder, and I don't want this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.