Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Just noticed that this game I used to play as a teenager is now free for the iPad. Thought I'd pass it along to other iPad users in and around their 40's that remember going to arcades and playing this awesome game. :D

Edit: Updated title to reflect that this requires in app purchases for full versions.

Last edited:

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
If you looked it up in the app store, Galaxian is also included. So we can all be happy!

Halebopp

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Downloaded and it was pretty poor, so bad in fact I gave uninstalled it after not finishing the first game. Just for the record I am 40 and loved these games at the arcade back in the day. One thing of note: Galaxian is free and Galaga is available via in-app purchase

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
For some reason there's no sound when I play it on my iPad 2. I'm not gonna get the other games, either. Not what I hoped for.

ctsoxfan

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011
I hate this new trend in apps - where the publishers tell you that the app is "free" and then you download it to find out that the app is really a trial version - and you need to buy the rest of the app via in-app purchase. It happens so often now. Maybe people are reluctant to download "Lite" or "Free" ad-filled versions of apps, so this is the new strategy. But be aware, most high quality apps are never free.

In this case, this app is huge in size, and 3 of the 4 games included with it need to be unlocked via in-app purchase (anywhere from 3.99 to 4.99 PER GAME!). Plus, it is getting bad reviews.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I hate this new trend in apps - where the publishers tell you that the app is "free" and then you download it to find out that the app is really a trial version - and you need to buy the rest of the app via in-app purchase. It happens so often now. Maybe people are reluctant to download "Lite" or "Free" ad-filled versions of apps, so this is the new strategy. But be aware, most high quality apps are never free.

In this case, this app is huge in size, and 3 of the 4 games included with it need to be unlocked via in-app purchase (anywhere from 3.99 to 4.99 PER GAME!). Plus, it is getting bad reviews.

100% agree with you.

I said this some time ago. There should be 3 categories. Paid, Really Free, and Trial or starter versions.

I also find it annoying that something is supposed to be free, then you find it only has one level of you have to buy in app things to go further.

Either it's free (perhaps with some small adverts) or its a limited/cut down trial.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Oh man I was excited to read the tag line for this..... only to continue reading the thread to find out it isn't really free but a lite version. Boo. Oh well, I am a sucker for this game, have it on the iPhone and will probably get it for the iPad as well! Hopefully there is a sale sooner then later! :)

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Downloaded and it was pretty poor, so bad in fact I gave uninstalled it after not finishing the first game. Just for the record I am 40 and loved these games at the arcade back in the day. One thing of note: Galaxian is free and Galaga is available via in-app purchase

Well I also loved these games when they were new in the arcade and think they did a good job here. Poor? Not even close. This is an AWESOME app. In fact, it's my new favorite game. Totally addicting. It keeps the flavor of the old games but adds a new twist to it. And it controls good too. What is not to love?

It could be smaller with the needless video, yes. But it's not so large that you can't download over wi-fi or fit on your device. It's a non-issue. As for finding out that an app has paid in-app purchases, while yes, they should state it more clearly, you can always tell an app that has in-app purchases by looking on the left hand side of the app store page. When you see a "top in-app purchases" section, that's your tip off. And you really didn't think that a major publisher would give away 4 separate arcade games for free did you? I know they are old-school and all, but still...FOUR arcade games. That's not going to be given away for free. So where's the surprise here?

Also, it's not 4.99 per game. They are 2.99 to 3.99 OR you can get them all for $7.99, bringing the price of each game down to $2.66. Not a bad deal at all.

They give you one of the games for free. Not time limited or crippled in any way...the full thing. That seems pretty good to me. The only quibble I would have with the app is the name of it. I could see people getting confused when they have the freebie Galaxian to play instead of Galaga. Other than that it is an excellent app and if you don't want to pay for anything you don't have to...you still get one full game for free!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.