Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeybushman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Hey guys,

I having some problems that hopefully someone can help me out with. I bought a 40GB Lacie Mobile USB Hard Drive for my G4 Powerbook. My computer does not see the drive, and when I go to drive utilities, the drive doesn't show up. The external hard drive doesn't seem to be spinning even though the power indicator is on. I tried to hook up the external hard drive to my roommate's PC, and it worked. Then I had a friend bring his powerbook over, and his powerbook recognized the drive and was working fine. I checked my USB ports and they both work for my other accessories (USB mouse). I even used an external power supply for the drive thinking it is a lack of power supply to the USB port. I tried unplugging the powerbook, I've tried zapping it, and all possible combinations. No luck! Any suggestions or thoughts?

confused and frustrated
monkeybushman

monkeybushman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
My powerbook is the 1.5 GHz 17in 80GB one. The powerbook that it worked on was the older generation 15in one (the titanium, I believe). Both are running the same version of Mac OSX 10.3.8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.