PDA

View Full Version : Apple Reportedly Beginning Production of Next-Generation MacBook Air Models

MacRumors
Jun 10, 2011, 10:55 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/10/apple-reportedly-beginning-production-of-next-generation-macbook-air-models/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/macbook_air_2010_profile.jpg

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of Concord Securities today issued a report (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/10/apple_poised_to_build_nearly_400k_next_gen_macbook_airs_this_month.html) claiming that Apple's manufacturing partners are scheduled to pump out nearly 400,000 units of revamped MacBook Air models this month as the company looks toward a refresh of the popular ultra-thin notebook.Concord Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo exclusively told AppleInsider that the Mac maker has placed orders for the production of a total of 380,000 Sandy Bridge-based 11.6 and 13.3-inch MacBook Airs this month.

The analyst, whose industry checks have long provided accurate insight into the Cupertino-based company's future hardware plans, notes that roughly 55 percent (or 209,000) of those MacBook Airs will be of the 11.6-inch varieties, which have proven slightly more popular than the 13.3-inch offerings due to their more attractive entry-level price points.Rumors of a MacBook Air refresh in the near future have been circulating for some time, with rumors dating as far back as mid-February (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/11/macbook-air-sandy-bridge-update-in-june/) indicating that Apple was planning a June update for the line. Kuo weighed in (http://www.front.macrumors.com/2011/04/22/production-of-new-thunderbolt-equipped-macbook-airs-set-for-next-month/) in late April to say that Apple would begin production of the new models in May, while another claim (http://www.front.macrumors.com/2011/05/18/apple-to-launch-new-macbook-air-in-june-july/) from last month pegged the refresh for the June-July timeframe.

Apple's new MacBook Air models are expected to be powered (http://www.front.macrumors.com/2011/04/06/intel-launching-next-generation-macbook-air-processors/) by Intel's Sandy Bridge platform, a significant upgrade over the Core 2 Duo processors found in the current models.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Beginning Production of Next-Generation MacBook Air Models (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/10/apple-reportedly-beginning-production-of-next-generation-macbook-air-models/)

iCrizzo
Jun 10, 2011, 11:00 AM
Thunderbolt??

mobi
Jun 10, 2011, 11:00 AM
Many people on the fence around here, hope they can wait-it-out!

ratzzo
Jun 10, 2011, 11:01 AM
Does anyone know what happened to the low wattage Sandy Bridge CPUs in the Air? Are they to be implemented after all?

Marx55
Jun 10, 2011, 11:01 AM
THE MAIN reason to buy the MacBook Air 11.6-inch is NOT because it is cheaper, but because it is lighter and smaller. Apple should make an even lighter (400 to 600 g) and smaller (7-inch) MacBook Air.

Lesser Evets
Jun 10, 2011, 11:02 AM
Thunderbolt??

Magic 8-ball says: "Outlook good"

Rad99004
Jun 10, 2011, 11:03 AM
What about the rumored IOS based Air with touch screen?

happyduck42
Jun 10, 2011, 11:04 AM
waiting, not so patiently. :rolleyes:

ECUpirate44
Jun 10, 2011, 11:05 AM
Thunderbolt??

Most definitely on every Mac from here on out.

ipoppy

Hmmmm.....iPad :confused:

j_maddison
Highly unlikely, but please have 3G connectivity built in!

3G and improved battery life are at the top of my priority list. Thunderbolt and a larger SSD are a close second.

orfeas0
THE MAIN reason to buy the MacBook Air 11.6-inch is NOT because it is cheaper, but because it is lighter and smaller. Apple should make an even lighter (400 to 600 g) and smaller (7-inch) MacBook Air.

They should make a 9inch macbook air with a removable screen which upon removed, BOOM! it's an ipad! sounds good for 1000$, right?

KnightWRX
Jun 10, 2011, 11:06 AM

What rumour is that ? We heard an ARM based MBA rumour, but I haven't heard about the touch screen iOS MBA rumour, especially now that Steve Jobs himself during a keynote said "Touch screen computers just don't work".

They should make a 9inch macbook air with a removable screen which upon removed, BOOM! it's an ipad! sounds good for 1000$, right?

Sounds like a rip-off of Lenovo's IdeaPad.

http://gearpatrol.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/lenovo-ideapad-u1-hybrid-tablet-laptop.jpg

orfeas0
Jun 10, 2011, 11:06 AM

3G and improved battery life are at the top of my priority list. Thunderbolt and a larger SSD are a close second.

3g AND improved battery = current battery life. unless you disable the 3g and have even more battery left.

feflower
Jun 10, 2011, 11:09 AM
I hope they keep the Airs as a glorified netbook/typewriter--meaning that I hope they have even a cheaper 11" option with modest specs that are sufficient for wordprocessing and light internet use.

MBABuyer
Jun 10, 2011, 11:10 AM
So when would the new MBA come out? July?

If they are producing them now, when would they be released?

pixelbart
Jun 10, 2011, 11:10 AM
No. 11.6" is the minimum size for a notebook with a usable keyboard. I think they can't go much smaller and lighter than this.

b.a.newbie
Jun 10, 2011, 11:12 AM

If you have watched the keynotes, Steve et al. have pointed out (pun intended) that it is not ergonomic to have an upright touch screen.
And with that beautiful trackpad, why bother?

ipoppy
Not really significant upgrade for me so still happy with my latest MBA. Waiting to replace MBP instead; next generation should be totally redesign and without super drive, which by the way was very "useful" for me.

nagromme
My credit card just leapt out of my wallet like a salmon returning home to spawn.

_Matt
Jun 10, 2011, 11:13 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is reassuring news, especially for all those people making prediction threads every day on the subject.

j_maddison
Jun 10, 2011, 11:14 AM
3g AND improved battery = current battery life. unless you disable the 3g and have even more battery left.

the 3G would be disabled most of the time. Having it built in is just so much easier than having to plug a dongle into the side, or purchase a separate MiFi device.

I could Jailbreak my iPad and use that as a wireless hotspot, but I'd rather the simplicity of being able to turn the 3G on when it's needed.

ThunderSkunk
I keep considering a MBA 13, but for the money, the MBP 13 offers considerably more... everything.

Then I wonder what happens to the MBA in the "major redesign" of the MBPs next year. You know they're going to try to thin them again. ...& at that point, what's an MBA?

pixelbart
Why should an Apple-branded ZaggMate cost $501?

Ijustfarted
kill the plastic macbooks

call the new airs the macbooks

would make sense since jobs said the airs are the future

fkhan3
Jun 10, 2011, 11:15 AM

Umm..not happening. iPad fills that void.

j_maddison
Jun 10, 2011, 11:15 AM
My credit card just leapt out of my wallet like a salmon returning home to spawn.

That almost made me spit what I was drinking out on my screen lol :D

josiahsill
Jun 10, 2011, 11:18 AM
They need to implement the black bezel on the air like they do on the pro...the air's bezel now just looks a little outdated compared to the pros

Porco

:D Poetry dude, sheer poetry.

The airs are gorgeous, I wish I could afford one right now. Well, right when the new ones are released.

thirteen1031
Not likely as they wouldn't be able to give it a full-sized keyboard and that is not only one of their selling points (their smallest computer has a full-sized keyboard), but also allows them to keep the same keyboard for (I believe) all models. To have that small a model would require a separate keyboard be made for it as compared to the one they use on pretty much all their models.

And why make a laptop of that size when there's the iPad? :confused: The iPad pretty much does the job of being lighter, smaller and doing all you'd want such a computer to do.

bwillwall

A 7 inch screened laptop? That is a horrible idea lol. If people want anything that size they would have to get a crappy blackberry tablet or something. Just immagine using osx on a screen the size of four iPhones taped together.

That almost made me spit what I was drinking out on my screen lol :D

I did that on my macbook aluminum (08-09) model once, now the c key gets sticky sometimes :(

iRobby
Jun 10, 2011, 11:22 AM
why are they only going to make and ship 380,000 i thought the MacBook Air were high demand. Does this mean backorders upon launch?

iCrizzo
Jun 10, 2011, 11:24 AM
Most definitely on every Mac from here on out.

Great... I have been waiting to update my old MacBook.

KingCrimson
Jun 10, 2011, 11:25 AM
Just wait until the first ARM-based Airs come. That will change everything. Again. :cool:

RichardF
Jun 10, 2011, 11:25 AM

+1 Wondering as well.

Can someone please explain how significative of an improvement the Sandy Bridge is over C2D?

Would it justify selling my 11" 1.6GHz, 4GB, 128GB SSD to replace with same on Sandy Bridge?

Love this laptop, best of the 12+ I have ever owned.

cvaldes
Jun 10, 2011, 11:28 AM
About 98% of the rumors you read here or on other Apple rumor sites are false.

kalsta
Jun 10, 2011, 11:29 AM
They need to implement the black bezel on the air like they do on the pro...the air's bezel now just looks a little outdated compared to the pros

I've always assumed that's to keep the thickness and weight down to an absolute minimum, which is Apple's primary goal with the Air. The MacBook Pros and iMacs achieve the black bezel by adding a layer of glass over the display. It's entirely unnecessary, but gives you the aesthetics you're after.

As much as I like the look of the black bezel, I'd choose an anti-glare screen with no glass in front of it any day — so my brand new MacBook Pro has your 'outdated' aluminium bezel. Unfortunately, that costs us extra these days.

KingCrimson
Jun 10, 2011, 11:29 AM
The future of Macbook Pro is to become a Macbook Air. By 2015 all Macbooks will be in that form factor. That was the grand vision all along.

Mattie Num Nums
Jun 10, 2011, 11:31 AM
The future of Macbook Pro is to become a Macbook Air. By 2015 all Macbooks will be in that form factor. That was the grand vision all along.

By 2015 Apple will no longer produce "computers".

Junipr
Backlit keyboard

radiohead14

i think 11" is the perfect size for the MBA imo. anything less than that, and the keyboard will be too cramped. battery life would take a hit too with a smaller form factor, since they wouldn't be able to include a good sized cell pack in there - and to me, battery life is the most important, so if sandy bridge means losing a bit of gpu power in exchange for better battery life - i'm happy with that trade off.

KingCrimson
Jun 10, 2011, 11:33 AM
By 2015 Apple will no longer produce "computers".

Ah yes by then Steve Jobs will have achieved his dream of purging "PCs" from our world. :rolleyes:

acslater017
Jun 10, 2011, 11:34 AM

I think the power tradeoffs would be too great. Not that Apple hasn't zig-zagged in the past, but Steve Jobs has pretty recently (iPad debut) slammed netbooks as not good at anything - just small, cheap laptops.

The cool thing about MacBook Airs is that they have full-sized keyboards, large trackpads, great battery life with acceptable power sacrifices. Going down to 7-inches, I imagine either the processor, storage, or battery life would suffer too much.

BriChi
Jun 10, 2011, 11:34 AM
Let there be a 256gb option in the 11" already!! Only thing stopping me from buying, 128gb is not enough

Mattie Num Nums
Jun 10, 2011, 11:36 AM
Ah yes by then Steve Jobs will have achieved his dream of purging "PCs" from our world. :rolleyes:

3 years away. Apple killed its server line and almost all of its enterprise support in less than that.

miamialley
Where's my 15" MBA?

HeroicEric

Anybody know how production date and release date have correlated in the past?

SPEEDwithJJ
Jun 10, 2011, 11:37 AM
Backlit keyboard

I definitely agree with that. :)

My one & only humble wish for the upcoming MBA refresh is that they all come with backlit keyboards. :o

orfeas0
Jun 10, 2011, 11:37 AM
What rumour is that ? We heard an ARM based MBA rumour, but I haven't heard about the touch screen iOS MBA rumour, especially now that Steve Jobs himself during a keynote said "Touch screen computers just don't work".

http://gearpatrol.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/lenovo-ideapad-u1-hybrid-tablet-laptop.jpg

yea but the Ideapad ain't Apple.
Imagine the best notebook combined with the best tablet..!

Why should an Apple-branded ZaggMate cost $501?

because it will run OSX with the keyboard and iOS as a touch?

strabes
Jun 10, 2011, 11:40 AM
These need to come out ASAP!! I bought a C2D one and then read a rumor a month ago about the Sandy Bridge ones coming out, so I returned it.

Peteman100
Jun 10, 2011, 11:43 AM
Finally! Sandy Bridge will bring a very welcome boost in performance.

OneMike
Jun 10, 2011, 11:43 AM
I'm looking for a C2D model so good. This should bring prices down.

Kentochan
Jun 10, 2011, 11:45 AM
Like with many others, I think that 11" for the MacBook Air is a sweet spot. And also like with many others, I would think that 7" would be waaay too small. From the keyboard, screen, and, internal components, everything would be cramped and inefficient.

3goldens
Jun 10, 2011, 11:49 AM
seems like a small order, given he demand. They can always make more I guess!

Genocyde
Jun 10, 2011, 11:50 AM

My one & only humble wish for the upcoming MBA refresh is that they all come with backlit keyboards. :o

This has been the only thing holding me back from buying a MBA

acslater017
Jun 10, 2011, 11:50 AM
Nothing too radical.
-Sandy Bridge processors
-Thunderbolt
-backlit keyboards
-upgraded storage or display options?

Probably will come pre-loaded with Lion and coincide with its launch? So many commercials/demos of Lion use the MBA for their hardware.

brucebrendon
Jun 10, 2011, 11:51 AM

indeed esp as on black keys (or make them white?). might sound silly, but it's why i didn't buy. i've a C2D MB that has illuminated keys and would miss (the metal uni-body they phased out), and it still outspec'd it from yrs ago.

4MB RAM pls

opelman59
Jun 10, 2011, 11:54 AM
It will come in early july with lion and a new backlight keyboard. ....... I hope ;)

Jun 10, 2011, 11:59 AM
I'm looking for a C2D model so good. This should bring prices down.
+1
C2D models are fast enough. I own a 13"MBA, BTO, and it's a wonderful machine. There is no real need for an i processor on such machine. At least not for me. Backlit keyboard would be nice tho...

acslater017
Jun 10, 2011, 11:59 AM

I imagine the next re-design of the MacBook Pro will borrow a few design cues from the MacBook Air (e.g. tapered body). Looking at the recent designs of the MacBook Air, iPad 2, and iPod Touch, and Magic Mouse there seems to be a lot of that going on.

Especially if they remove the optical drive (and make it an optional accessory), I would think that opens up more possibilities for external design.

SPEEDwithJJ
Jun 10, 2011, 12:01 PM
4MB RAM pls

I'm very sure you mean 4GB RAM.... :o

Jun 10, 2011, 12:02 PM
4MB RAM pls

that'll be too much... ;)

I'm very sure you mean 4GB RAM.... :o

just BTO it, and u can have it now.

jonnysods
Jun 10, 2011, 12:03 PM
Well I missed the boat on this and got a 13" mbp a few weeks ago, replacing a 15". Not quite what I wanted, but I couldn't wait any longer.

I wish that the 13" mbp had the same screen rez and the MBA's do....

kppolich
Jun 10, 2011, 12:06 PM
Sandy's, RAM, backlit = ^ in price $$

KYPackrat
Jun 10, 2011, 12:07 PM

I'll AOL this one. Thunderbolt gets us down to "one port to rule them all" in laptops. Apple can ship 2 laptop dongles, a TB to USB 2 port pass-through (not optional), and a TB to USB brick with an SD slot, gig E, USB ports, (possibly) Firewire, and a SuperDrive in it.

There will no longer a MacBook Pro, Air, or plastic. There is MacBook, in 11.6" to 17", all SSD. One power port, one TB port. That's it, that's all.

If they can get the Air in the right price range, and get the market to provide the needed TB adapters (SD card slot, Firewire 400/800, etc.), it's now time to kill the plasticBook. Release it as "MacBook".

If they makes the SuperDrive brick the right size, they can even make it stack below the Mac Mini, allowing it to drop the platters internally too.

Out on the limb way too far: the Pro gets replaced a cube-like box with a bunch of ThunderBolt ports coming out of it instead of PCI-Express slots. Think Mac Mini on steroids.

cvaldes
Jun 10, 2011, 12:08 PM
Where's my 15" MBA?
In a lab somewhere in Cupertino.

Next to the G5 PowerBook and 13" SAMOLED iPad.

toddybody
Jun 10, 2011, 12:10 PM

7 inch notebook?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Tn3huAudp2U/TOg4K1rOt7I/AAAAAAAAKnM/YVJqZUs11LY/s1600/deanshow.jpg

Good one!

Trian
Jun 10, 2011, 12:13 PM
11" and 13" models are perfect at what they do and more than likely to compete with MBPs in their upcoming revision.

13" MBA over 13" MBP has two advantages:
1. weight (if you travel a lot like me)
2. screen resolution (1440x900 vs 1280x800)

Disk space isn't that much of a hassle. Methinks 128GB is more than enough for a pc that's supposed to be on the move... music, movies and all. Then there's tons of cheap and light 2.5" 500GB drives if you want to carry the kitchen sink with you.

Being a developer, the extra pixels are more important than a beefier processor (my main comp is a Mac mini with 8GB ram and it runs super-smooth). So far I was going for a 4GB 13" basic model, but now I can only wait to see what a mid-range config will be in the new lot :D (certainly more oomph for the same money)

I've been holding out on this about a month now. Good thing I read about the rumours just as I was about to head out to the shop to buy one :)

Bottom line: Apple... please... let us in on the specs and availability... I've been all over the apple-related sites ever since I heard about the update. At least let us know WHEN you're announcing it.

adammjenkins
Jun 10, 2011, 12:14 PM
My hopes: slightly better battery life (might come with the adoption of Sandy Bridge), backlit keyboard (50/50 chance), 4GB RAM standard (highly unlikely due to intentional differentiation between the MBA and the MBP). Because getting all of these seems farfetched, I may just snag someone's current generation who is looking to upgrade since I am would be plenty content with the current version. Now that I have a job with heavy travel, it'd be nice to have the full OS on the road with me. The iPad is great, but I keep running into situations where I feel a little limited, especially on longer trips of a week or more.

falcor87
Jun 10, 2011, 12:15 PM
I always thought it would be nice to see the MBA at 12.1". Obviously with the existing sizes that isn't really logical but I find 11.6 to be a tad on the small size and 13.3 to be massive.

That's a future I see for the macbook, instead of being the "value" mac it is. Shrink it to 12.1 with some of the MBA styling and stick to plastic to keep the price down. Paint it black (not the fingerprint inducing black from a couple years ago lol) and go with an unlit, possibly smaller logo. Then presto, you have your enterprise mac, and the macbook has a place to call it's own rather than living in big bro MBP's shadow.

Thomas2006
Jun 10, 2011, 12:16 PM

Kill the MacBook, yes, but do not change the name of the MacBook Air, and lower the price of the MacBook Pro models by 100USD across the board.

Wild-Bill
Jun 10, 2011, 12:17 PM
Apple needs to re-instate the backlit-keyboard.

Then, only then, would I even consider upgrading.

cms2
Jun 10, 2011, 12:25 PM
I was really glad to see some "news" on the MBA rumor front. I have my trusty 2007 15" MBP, but it's getting a little long in the tooth. Definitely looking to upgrade in the next year, and if Sandy Bridge offers even a little bump in performance for the Air, it would certainly make it a contender for my purchase.

It would be ideal under its current specs, except that I plan to use it with an external display and I've read that some users have noticed some sluggishness using current MBA with external display. Maybe Sandy Bridge and improved graphics will help?

franswa za
Jun 10, 2011, 12:30 PM
I did that on my macbook aluminum (08-09) model once, now the c key gets sticky sometimes :(

can someone PLEASE start a MACHUMORS blog? :p

logandzwon
Jun 10, 2011, 12:33 PM

Perfect, we'll call it "ilenovo iideaipad"

jclardy
Jun 10, 2011, 12:33 PM

No way. Something that small would require a reduced size keyboard which is terrible. I have a 8.9" netbook with a reduced size keyboard and it is easier and faster to type on my iPad.

If they do anything with the 11.6" they should either reduce the screen bezel or increase the screen size in the same size frame.

Eggtastic
Jun 10, 2011, 12:36 PM
alright, so if mass production is to start this month... what would be a good estimate to determine when they go on sale?

i know its a guessing game, but anyone with knowledge of production-to-sale time frames of other apple products feel like weighing in on this?

ten-oak-druid
Jun 10, 2011, 12:36 PM
I worry that Apple is pushing the industry in a direction of selling the cloud at the expense of internal storage.

Apple has to do this of course. The price for large capacity SSD isn't dropping fast enough. In order to promote consumption of media and the MBA, Apple can't wait for the SSD to develop. The cloud is the answer.

Apple isn't alone in promoting cloud service. But if Apple is successful at making the standard be low storage capacity laptops utilizing cloud services, I worry that future development of HD and SSD will slow down. What will be the incentive to get TB SSD for current HD prices? Will there be a large demand for 2TB laptop HD anytime soon?

I hope the cloud is a success but I hope it isn't at the expense of cheap large capacity drives of the future.

As for 7" MBA I think that is for the future when the MBA is the only Apple laptop. I think when Apple faltered back in the late 90's it was in part due to too many simultaneous product lines. There were multiple powerPC models and the benefits of each were not clear. I think consolidation is better. Don't increase the number of MBA models with so many competing MBP models. At least fold the MB and MBP into one line first.

johneaston
Jun 10, 2011, 12:43 PM

Anyone fancy making an educated guess at this?

Ijustfarted
Jun 10, 2011, 12:43 PM
think you got it the other way around. the future of Macbook Air is to become a Macbook. The pro will remain the pro. Remember, the air is the future of the standard notebook, and a Macbook should be the standard according to Jobs.

kiljoy616
Jun 10, 2011, 12:44 PM

Its called an ipad 2 and its 9-inch or so. :p

Gonky
Jun 10, 2011, 12:44 PM
If they do anything with the 11.6" they should either reduce the screen bezel or increase the screen size in the same size frame.
This guy/girl knows what they are talking about. The bezel on the 11" is crazy, even if it was the same as the 13" has it would allow a much larger screen.

I'm really hoping for a backlit keyboard/longer battery life in this coming update.

kiljoy616
Jun 10, 2011, 12:47 PM

Lets see from my massive knowledge about all things Apple :rolleyes: I would say when ever Apple wants to. Apple and timeline are not synonymous :D and I for one have no problem with this.

Optimus Frag
Jun 10, 2011, 12:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Backlit keyboard

And Junipr wins the race to be first to say it!!

scottsjack
Jun 10, 2011, 12:50 PM
I worry that Apple is pushing the industry in a direction of selling the cloud at the expense of internal storage.

Apple has to do this of course. The price for large capacity SSD isn't dropping fast enough. In order to promote consumption of media and the MBA, Apple can't wait for the SSD to develop. The cloud is the answer.

Apple isn't alone in promoting cloud service. But if Apple is successful at making the standard be low storage capacity laptops utilizing cloud services, I worry that future development of HD and SSD will slow down. What will be the incentive to get TB SSD for current HD prices? Will there be a large demand for 2TB laptop HD anytime soon?

I hope the cloud is a success but I hope it isn't at the expense of cheap large capacity drives of the future.

Hopefully there are a lot of people like you and me. My MP has five internal 2TB drives plus a few more by FW. My MBP has the highest capacity 7200 RPM drive available, a WD Black.

I have no interest in the cloud other than Internet, software downloads and an occasional song or movie from iTunes. I think that's what we used to refer to as "on line" before everybody tried to become all cool and hip by using the word "cloud". I really like having my private data confined to the privacy of my own equipment.

lcm123
Jun 10, 2011, 12:51 PM
MBA 11", 13", 15" and 17"; that's what I want to see, come on Apple.

And for myself, MBA 17" with 256GB SSD, super cooling material, solid-as-a-rock unibody, multi-touch, heck, why not an iPad 17" running Lion, YES!!!

KPOM
Sounds good. Hopefully there's more than just replacing the Core 2 Duo/NVIDIA 320m with the Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt. I'd like to see a 256GB SSD option in the 11.6" model.

PDE
All I want in this update for the 13", in order of importance (in addition to the new processor and thunderbolt):

1. 4GB ram
2. Backlit keyboard
3. Larger drives

I've gradually moved from 15" MBP to 13" MBP and now I'm ready to take the next step!

Adidas Addict
Jun 10, 2011, 12:52 PM
I'll be skipping this if they continue to use the awful screen in the current model and skip backlit KB again. My 2010 13" MBA made way for a 2011 13" MBP and the screen is 100% better on the MBP, slightly lower res is worth it not to have awful viewing angles & pale colours.

kiljoy616
Jun 10, 2011, 12:53 PM

Your right about the SSD just not coming down, sure they are making faster and faster ones but price is just not there. Right now anything over 120 or so is not consumer grade prices. Anyone has any idea is it that expensive to make them or are they just expensive because their new to the industry? :(

djrod
Jun 10, 2011, 12:53 PM

As for 7" MBA I think that is for the future when the MBA is the only Apple laptop. I think when Apple faltered back in the late 90's it was in part due to too many simultaneous product lines. There were multiple powerPC models and the benefits of each were not clear. I think consolidation is better. Don't increase the number of MBA models with so many competing MBP models. At least fold the MB and MBP into one line first.

Apple's cloud is not for storage but for sync across devices

cvaldes
Jun 10, 2011, 12:55 PM

Early July sounds about right. Four week production ramp to build sufficient inventory for launch plus time to distribute to channel partners and their own retail store network.

One might expect Apple to give or take a week, but not much more. It's not like they're going to ship on Tuesday. Not enough time to build enough inventory. And they're not going to wait until September. They don't want to carry huge inventory.

kiljoy616
Jun 10, 2011, 12:57 PM
MBA 11", 13", 15" and 17"; that's what I want to see, come on Apple.

Wait how heavy would a 17" MBA be, seem to be counter productive.

I think your missing the reason for the Air?

That would be like having a 15 inch iPad which would kind of defeat the purpose of the ipad. :rolleyes:

Sure a subgroup would like this but how many would actually sell.

I think some people are missing the point about Apple and the iCloud. Well said.

Remember what Steve said, not just another hard drive or something to that effect.

lcm123
Jun 10, 2011, 01:01 PM
Wait how heavy would a 17" MBA be, seem to be counter productive.

I think your missing the reason for the Air?

That would be like having a 15 inch iPad which would kind of defeat the purpose of the ipad. :rolleyes:

Sure a subgroup would like this but how many would actually sell.

A 17" MBA would still be lighter than 17" Macbook Pro cause that's what I need, a large screen size and as light as possible.
A lot of professionals use the 17" Macbook Pro, which is why Apple still sell them, so making them lighter would surely be a welcome change.

42streetsdown
Jun 10, 2011, 01:02 PM

i doubt they'll release 3G connectivity. and if they plan to, it'll only be after a world phone chip is present in their phones.

ten-oak-druid

Yes but think about it. You purchase a movie, watch it and delete it. You can always download later. Without the cloud you have to be careful what you delete and back it up.

(Right now it works for music only. But the same will be true for your movies later.)

In other words you will be able to buy all the movie and TV shows you want with only a 200GB drive and have no worry about storage for it all.

So in fact it is for storage. Just not for everything.

But some of us want larger drives. I'm concerned as I said that the changes coming will slow development

I think some people are missing the point about Apple and the iCloud. Well said.

Remember what Steve said, not just another hard drive or something to that effect.

Not missing the point at all. Read my comments above. The cloud allows you to re-download your purchases and not store them all locally. This makes the MBA more attractive with smaller drive size.

For most people, the need for larger drives is due to media.

kiljoy616
I'd like to see a 256GB SSD option in the 11.6" model.

Not sure they have the price for that. Would be nice but price is also important to sell to the masses.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 10, 2011, 01:07 PM
Hopefully there are a lot of people like you and me. My MP has five internal 2TB drives plus a few more by FW. My MBP has the highest capacity 7200 RPM drive available, a WD Black.

I have no interest in the cloud other than Internet, software downloads and an occasional song or movie from iTunes. I think that's what we used to refer to as "on line" before everybody tried to become all cool and hip by using the word "cloud". I really like having my private data confined to the privacy of my own equipment.

I just ordered their 750GB drive myself on Amazon. I have a couple WD brand drives and I'm starting to like their brand.

Your right about the SSD just not coming down, sure they are making faster and faster ones but price is just not there. Right now anything over 120 or so is not consumer grade prices. Anyone has any idea is it that expensive to make them or are they just expensive because their new to the industry? :(

It does seem like the price isn't coming down as fast as it does for other technology. I also wonder why.

kdimitt
Jun 10, 2011, 01:08 PM
This has been the only thing holding me back from buying a MBA

I would love a backlit keyboard as much as the the rest of you, but really? The lack of a backlit keyboard is the lacking feature that has driven you away among every qualm with the air? I find that to be slightly asinine....

KPOM
Jun 10, 2011, 01:10 PM
Not sure they have the price for that. Would be nice but price is also important to sell to the masses.

That's why it would be a CTO model, like it is in the 13". 64 and 128GB are fine for base models, but with the Sandy Bridge chip, these will be powerful enough (from the CPU perspective) to be primary devices. The extra storage, even if it's a $300 upgrade from the 128GB model, would be nice.

42streetsdown
Jun 10, 2011, 01:14 PM
4MB RAM pls

Yes lets take out 2044 Megabytes out to bring the computer on par with the ones from the 80's

MacTheSpoon
Jun 10, 2011, 01:20 PM
Hoping for better screen angle, battery life, and matte screen...and knowing better battery life is probably the only realistic possibility. Sigh.

BrownManUPS
Jun 10, 2011, 01:25 PM
Hoping for a late June release or early July release. It most likely will be released with Lion though, so we may have to wait until late July.

It will include SB i5's and Thunderbolt. Hopefully the price points are retained and storage is still 128GB with 2GB ram at 1199. I don't want to pay more for 4GB, but I will. I think Lion will be much snappier with lower RAM amount though.

Sooner the better -- getting tired of my Macbook (in sig).

ryanasimov
Jun 10, 2011, 01:26 PM

I think he said "...the heirs are the future."

Okay, boooooooooo. :)

GlenL
Jun 10, 2011, 01:29 PM
This Back-lit Keyboard thing must be an inside joke that I'm not aware of. Out of all the years I've had my MBP, I've probably had the the Back-lit Keyboard on for a total of 10 minutes.

KingCrimson
Jun 10, 2011, 01:31 PM
Hoping for better screen angle, battery life, and matte screen...and knowing better battery life is probably the only realistic possibility. Sigh.

:eek::eek: Apple will NEVER EVER EVER put a matte screen on anything.

42streetsdown
Jun 10, 2011, 01:31 PM
This Back-lit Keyboard thing must be an inside joke that I'm not aware of. Out of all the years I've had my MBP, I've probably had the the Back-lit Keyboard on for a total of 10 minutes.

Not an inside joke. It's a legit desire.

ulfses
Jun 10, 2011, 01:32 PM
:eek::eek: Apple will NEVER EVER EVER put a matte screen on anything.

like they did with the mbp 15" and 17"? :p

Cheffy Dave
Jun 10, 2011, 01:33 PM
i doubt they'll release 3G connectivity. and if they plan to, it'll only be after a world phone chip is present in their phones.

all this is coming with iPad 3,then to MBA's, and to NOTHING else:cool:

trims
Jun 10, 2011, 01:55 PM
I'll AOL this one. Thunderbolt gets us down to "one port to rule them all" in laptops. Apple can ship 2 laptop dongles, a TB to USB 2 port pass-through (not optional), and a TB to USB brick with an SD slot, gig E, USB ports, (possibly) Firewire, and a SuperDrive in it.

There will no longer a MacBook Pro, Air, or plastic. There is MacBook, in 11.6" to 17", all SSD. One power port, one TB port. That's it, that's all.

If they can get the Air in the right price range, and get the market to provide the needed TB adapters (SD card slot, Firewire 400/800, etc.), it's now time to kill the plasticBook. Release it as "MacBook".

If they makes the SuperDrive brick the right size, they can even make it stack below the Mac Mini, allowing it to drop the platters internally too.

Out on the limb way too far: the Pro gets replaced a cube-like box with a bunch of ThunderBolt ports coming out of it instead of PCI-Express slots. Think Mac Mini on steroids.

Of course! You're right. I had wondered about the whole point of TB. It doesn't make sense as a 'port' so much as a 'dock'. Then let your imagination run riot about the kind of docking devices you might wish to connect to a wafer-thin laptop . . . .

racketeer71
Jun 10, 2011, 02:00 PM
I seem to be the only one longing for an 8GB BTO option on the 13"?

toddybody
Jun 10, 2011, 02:02 PM
I seem to be the only one longing for an 8GB BTO option on the 13"?

IMHO, 8GB RAM is a tad overkill on this class machine...that said, more aint bad :p

hcho3
Jun 10, 2011, 02:03 PM
There are just some ridiculous posts here...

4MB ram? You mean 4GB ram. Also, 2GB should be than enough to run Lion for next years to come. Apple will not give up their 100 dollars. Their competitions are much more expensive than they are. These are premium thin laptop. They are not made for average joe...

Intel Graphic card is better than Nvidia? Okay...

7 inch laptop? I am glad you don't work for apple. I would sell my shares and move my money elsewhere.

There are some posts here that are either serious trolls or some people just don't have any idea what is going on here and are just making ridiculous demands.

3bs
Jun 10, 2011, 02:05 PM
+1 Wondering as well.

Can someone please explain how significative of an improvement the Sandy Bridge is over C2D?

Would it justify selling my 11" 1.6GHz, 4GB, 128GB SSD to replace with same on Sandy Bridge?

Love this laptop, best of the 12+ I have ever owned.

I'm wondering the same thing. I just got mine with the same specs a little over a month ago

Cynicalone
Jun 10, 2011, 02:12 PM
Definitely would consider an upgrade if they move the Air to Sandy Bridge.

My current secondary machine is a Late 08 MacBook Air and with only 2GB's of RAM it runs Lion very poorly.

JohnnyGo
Jun 10, 2011, 02:13 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. I just got mine with the same specs a little over a month ago

Sandy Bridge CPUs are bult with the latest 32n technology, creating faster, smaller AND less power hungry chips. I.e. Faster CPUs with more battery life.

In the case of MBAs, because of the super fast SSDs, the CPU is the only bottleneck in performance (couped witj 2GB ram in the standard config). A base $999 model with Sandy bridge with 4GB ram will blow away the old model (probably +40% increase)

Genocyde
Jun 10, 2011, 02:17 PM
I would love a backlit keyboard as much as the the rest of you, but really? The lack of a backlit keyboard is the lacking feature that has driven you away among every qualm with the air? I find that to be slightly asinine....

Why? I use my MBP in low light conditions and the backlit keyboard is a life saver to me. Without it my day to day computer usage would be more difficult. Do I need the speed boost or storage of the MBP over an MBA? Not really. Would I like my laptop to be thinner and lighter? Yes, but not at the expense of losing the backlit keyboard.

How is that asinine?

shompa
Jun 10, 2011, 02:17 PM
Just wait until the first ARM-based Airs come. That will change everything. Again. :cool:

Nextgen ARM is faster then the processor in macbook air 1.
Technically Apple should be able to do a macbook air with ok performance.

Batty time is one thing going for ARM, but price is more interesting.

Intel motherboard + CPU is about 10 times more expensive then ARM. Apple could slash the prices with 300-400$ and keep their marginals.

CPU/GPU/chipset power would go down from about 40watt to 2-4 watt for a Quod core 2.5ghz ARM part.

No silly Ios, but a real/full OSX.

The funniest thing is that Apple would start to switch back to PPC if they started to phased out Intel.

BTW. How can IBM manufacture a quod core 3.5ghz Power6 chip for Nintendo for just 40 dollars? That chip is 30-40% faster then Extreme Edition hexacore Intel.

KDR
Jun 10, 2011, 02:20 PM
for those wanting built in 3g - really??? Kinda seems like putting a CD player in a car. Sure some people might use it, but 3G is so darn slow I hope I never have to use it. I'd rather lug around a 4g hotspot or pay for personal hot spot service on the iphone until 4g service becomes more prevalent.

surftom
Jun 10, 2011, 02:22 PM

The only reason I have not bought the Air and went with iPad 2. Add built-in 3G and I'm sold

3bs
Jun 10, 2011, 02:23 PM
Well I missed the boat on this and got a 13" mbp a few weeks ago, replacing a 15". Not quite what I wanted, but I couldn't wait any longer.

I wish that the 13" mbp had the same screen rez and the MBA's do....

The 13" MBP has a lower screen resolution than the 13" Air?

zombierunner
Jun 10, 2011, 02:25 PM
2012 is the year to buy ..... ipad 3 - retina display(could well be late this yr)

ivy bridge based macs

mbas becoming more powerful - improved resolution?

mbp redesign ... imac as well ... woooh

the fruit of patience is sweet .. sweet like an apple i say.

unless ofcourse you "need an ipad or mac"

if you can wait .. wait .. like me. :rolleyes:

nightrider1
Jun 10, 2011, 02:27 PM
Great battery life
High density screen
Backlit keyboard
Switchable discrete GPU

Am I the only one that does not trust the Intel integrated GPU? Maybe I have a bias from the early versions in netbooks.

I'd like to see an Apple implementation of Intel's Wireless Display technology.

JonathanK81
Jun 10, 2011, 02:36 PM

Yes, the MBA (atleast the current one with the Nvidia graphics) has a higher resolution than the Sandy Bridge MBP. We don't know if the refresh will have the same higher resolution, but I don't see a reason why it wouldn't.

drewyboy
Jun 10, 2011, 02:37 PM
Great battery life
I'd like to see an Apple implementation of Intel's Wireless Display technology.

It's called airplay :) I really hope they eventually push it out to osx.

cvaldes
Jun 10, 2011, 02:37 PM
for those wanting built in 3g - really??? Kinda seems like putting a CD player in a car. Sure some people might use it, but 3G is so darn slow I hope I never have to use it. I'd rather lug around a 4g hotspot or pay for personal hot spot service on the iphone until 4g service becomes more prevalent.
3G data comes in handy on my iPad. I have activated the monthly subscription twice in the past nine months.

Note that 3G isn't all the same. There's HSPA and the speedier HSPA+, as well as EV-DO (what Verizon and Sprint offer as 3G).

Some mobile operators run very speedy, reliable, and well deployed 3G networks, although admittedly, they are mostly in Europe and Southeast Asia.

So yes, there would be some benefit to having 3G on a notebook computer such as the MacBook Air.

Whether or not someone using it on a North American cellular network can exploit the full value of 3G data is a separate discussion.

3bs
Jun 10, 2011, 02:39 PM
Sandy Bridge CPUs are bult with the latest 32n technology, creating faster, smaller AND less power hungry chips. I.e. Faster CPUs with more battery life.

In the case of MBAs, because of the super fast SSDs, the CPU is the only bottleneck in performance (couped witj 2GB ram in the standard config). A base $999 model with Sandy bridge with 4GB ram will blow away the old model (probably +40% increase)

Sigh... I might just give this to my sister and get it then

Adidas Addict
Jun 10, 2011, 02:44 PM

Slightly higher res on MBA 13, but lower quality and performance.

flottenheimer
Jun 10, 2011, 02:47 PM

3G built in? Why not just use your iPhone to set up a local wifi/3G network? I suppose you always bring it along with your MacBook anyway.

cvaldes
Jun 10, 2011, 02:51 PM
Not everyone who has a MacBook Air carries an iPhone (or other 3G tethering enabled smartphone).

I'm surprised this is not obvious to you.

nebulos
Jun 10, 2011, 02:54 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

... exactly, WHEN???

A few intelligent guesses were made. Anybody else?

WHAT is mostly known. Sandy Bridge, Thunderbolt. Backlit keys? We'll see. (Please don't ask for 4GB RAM; This is already an option!)

So, again, WHEN???

jclardy
Jun 10, 2011, 02:55 PM
It's called airplay :) I really hope they eventually push it out to osx.

Airplay already exists on OS X. In both iTunes and Quicktime.

There is no screen mirroring like they just added in iOS 5 but for the most part it is there.

dacapo
Jun 10, 2011, 03:02 PM
Matte display please!

Mr Fusion
Jun 10, 2011, 03:04 PM
In addition to a backlit keyboard, I'd like edge-to-edge glass covering the screen like the MBP. But it'd probably increase the weight too much.. :rolleyes:

iansilv
Jun 10, 2011, 03:10 PM
I want a 15" MacBook Air!

RicoRich196
Jun 10, 2011, 03:11 PM
Airplay already exists on OS X. In both iTunes and Quicktime.

There is no screen mirroring like they just added in iOS 5 but for the most part it is there.

I believe that wireless display mirroring will come to OSX when they put the A5 in the ATV3. My reasoning for that is the current ATV only outputs 720p, outputting that kind of resolution from a laptop to a screen will probably look crappy. And the A4 currently in the ATV probably wouldn't be able to handle the higher resolutions Apple's Notebooks/Desktops provide without seriously downscaling (eww than upscaling again through the television), however the A5 might just be cut out for that job!

danielwsmithee
Jun 10, 2011, 03:18 PM
Sandy bridge + Thunderbolt + Back-lit keyboard please;)

KingCrimson
Jun 10, 2011, 03:22 PM
What I want to know is when the fark is Apple going to refresh the Mini with Sandy Bridge?

fjsiskilroy
Jun 10, 2011, 03:32 PM

If we assume that the suppliers already have raw material stock in place waiting for the order to kick them off. The the process normally would go as follows;

1.- PO, kick off this week.
2.- Start of actual production next Monday.
3.- First pallets ready to ship by Thursday.Friday of the following week.
4.- The main thing is the shipment. From China to US takes 3-4 weeks by sea.
5.- Allow an extra week for Customs clearance and then shipment by truck to each of the stores (3-4 days).

So normally it would take 5-6 weeks if everything is ready to get the first shipments in. The big variable is that Apple likes to air ship the first shipments to fill up the stores quickly and make a big splash. Also considering that around 80k of the current revisoin are still being built this month. My guess is that by the week June 27th they start building them and by the week of the 4th of July you start seeing them at the Stores.

prowlmedia
Jun 10, 2011, 03:41 PM
Actually annoyed me that the new air didn't have a back lit keyboard when it was the first Apple laptop to have one.

Almost like the the HA - Buy the first generation... I dare you!

You know they'll put it on the new model.

I am typing this on a 13" macbook (not pro) alum. So I know the pain.

Other than that.
Sandy Bridge.
Thunderbolt.
Cheese Cutting abilities.

Coarseman
Jun 10, 2011, 03:57 PM

+1 :D

BRING

IT

NOW!

(Maxed out 13" that is, CAN'T WAIT)

iNeedToDoHw
Jun 10, 2011, 04:15 PM
steven jobs said they tested out the touch screen air and it just didn't perform as well as they thought. So my best bet is that it's not coming out soon. Maybe when it's time for ipad and air to mingle 4 or 5 years down the line

2012 is the year to buy ..... ipad 3 - retina display(could well be late this yr)

ivy bridge based macs

mbas becoming more powerful - improved resolution?

mbp redesign ... imac as well ... woooh

the fruit of patience is sweet .. sweet like an apple i say.

unless ofcourse you "need an ipad or mac"

if you can wait .. wait .. like me. :rolleyes:

Yup, I've waited for 2 years and it's time for me to get the june/july mba. Saying that 2012 is the time to buy all those product is like saying, wait for the next year's product every year. if you need it you buy it. obviously, it's going to "become more powerful" with every upgrade. don't surprise us

weckart
Jun 10, 2011, 04:37 PM

Yuck. No tacky black bezel, thanks. Hoping this tragedy of fashion dies soon.

A 17" MBA would still be lighter than 17" Macbook Pro cause that's what I need, a large screen size and as light as possible.
A lot of professionals use the 17" Macbook Pro, which is why Apple still sell them, so making them lighter would surely be a welcome change.

Most of the weight is the battery, which would still be needed to keep that large LCD screen lit. Any space saving from ditching the optical drive and the expressport would be eaten up by spreading battery around the thinner case. Too thin a case and it wouldn't have "structural integrity".

Beanoir
Jun 10, 2011, 04:37 PM
About 98% of the rumors you read here or on other Apple rumor sites are false.

I'm glad to see there is another sane person on this forum.

rpssfo
Jun 10, 2011, 04:40 PM

... Yeah lets kill of the machine that has a CD/DVD drive in it and an ethernet connection and a replaceable battery and ability to upgrade myself
but hey, I can just repurchase all my music from I Tunes right ?

dawnrazor
Jun 10, 2011, 04:51 PM
I predict that the new MBAs will be released to coincide with the release of Lion, it would make a hell of a lot of sense - especially seeing as the new MBAs aren't going to be a massive leap forward are they, at least in terms of hardware. I reckon all we can hope for is sandy bridge, and maybe a TB port, anything after that will be a bonus, but I don't see it happening this time round.

Yaboze
Jun 10, 2011, 04:56 PM
IMHO, eventually all of the Macbook's with be super thin with no optical drive and the Air name will be dropped.

My only issue with the SB MBA is the Intel graphics. :(

Tymmz
Jun 10, 2011, 05:01 PM
... Yeah lets kill of the machine that has a CD/DVD drive in it and an ethernet connection and a replaceable battery and ability to upgrade myself

this doesn't make any sense at all.

but hence your join date and spelling of " I Tunes" i skip your post...

rpssfo
Jun 10, 2011, 05:02 PM

what doesn't make sense ? what I said makes perfect sense.
oh my, sorry for not having a lowercase "i"

d$$$
Jun 10, 2011, 05:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

... exactly, WHEN???

A few intelligent guesses were made. Anybody else?

WHAT is mostly known. Sandy Bridge, Thunderbolt. Backlit keys? We'll see. (Please don't ask for 4GB RAM; This is already an option!)

So, again, WHEN???

My guess would be it would ship on release date of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion as the first hardware to have the new OS baked in. :D

Tymmz
Jun 10, 2011, 05:13 PM

what doesn't make sense ? what I said makes perfect sense.
oh my, sorry for not having a lowercase "i"

the ability to upgrade yourself (i don't understand). repurchase your music (why, how come).

in which way were you able to upgrade a laptop in the past and how does it make you repurchase your iTunes music. I don't understand.

Jayness333
Jun 10, 2011, 05:55 PM
please please please: backlit keyboard. everything else is secondary.

j_maddison
Jun 10, 2011, 06:08 PM
3G built in? Why not just use your iPhone to set up a local wifi/3G network? I suppose you always bring it along with your MacBook anyway.

No brainer, battery life. I live on the phone in the day with work, and I wouldn't sacrifice battery life on my iPhone for the ability to tether.

Also, I use O2 for voice on the iPhone. They're great for voice connectivity, but absolutely dreadful for 3G coverage. It's practically non existent in my neck of the woods (Wales, UK).

Jayness333
Jun 10, 2011, 06:16 PM

im an apple convert in waiting. i have a dell, from a long history of dells - however this dell is my first laptop (all the previous have been desktops) and after having an iphone for 2 years and an ipad for 1 year i cant wait to make the full transition.

my dell laptop doesn't have a backlit keyboard. i have read many opinions on this - most assuming that the light from the screen will be enough to light up the keyboard (incorrect - the light from the screen blinds you to the keyboard) or that we should just know where the keys are (i do but i still want to glance to check every now and then - i make so many mistakes when i cant).

backlit keyboards SHOULD be available on the up and coming MBA, even if just an optional extra; it's an opportunity for apple to make more money. I am happy to hand that money over for the privilege of a backlit keyboard. please apple provide a backlit keyboard!!!

FYI - i tried selling another friend on the advantages of the MBA and they were totally sold on it except the backlit keyboard was a deal breaker for them. If it didnt have it then they didnt want it. So im not the only one.

KPOM
Jun 10, 2011, 06:42 PM
Yes lets take out 2044 Megabytes out to bring the computer on par with the ones from the 80's

My PCs in the '80s had 640K of RAM (if that much). I didn't get 4MB until I made the leap from a 16MHz 386 to the blazing fast 90MHz Pentium. I think that one had a huge 500MB HD (which I later upped to 1GB) and a whopping 16MB of RAM.

kdimitt
Jun 10, 2011, 06:43 PM
im an apple convert in waiting. i have a dell, from a long history of dells - however this dell is my first laptop (all the previous have been desktops) and after having an iphone for 2 years and an ipad for 1 year i cant wait to make the full transition.

my dell laptop doesn't have a backlit keyboard. i have read many opinions on this - most assuming that the light from the screen will be enough to light up the keyboard (incorrect - the light from the screen blinds you to the keyboard) or that we should just know where the keys are (i do but i still want to glance to check every now and then - i make so many mistakes when i cant).

backlit keyboards SHOULD be available on the up and coming MBA, even if just an optional extra; it's an opportunity for apple to make more money. I am happy to hand that money over for the privilege of a backlit keyboard. please apple provide a backlit keyboard!!!

FYI - i tried selling another friend on the advantages of the MBA and they were totally sold on it except the backlit keyboard was a deal breaker for them. If it didnt have it then they didnt want it. So im not the only one.

Hey, I find them handy and would love one as well. I never said it shouldn't or wouldn't be available.

The only thing I can't understand is that a backlit keyboard being a deal breaker for anyone. Are there that many people that had type that badly?

Without backlit keys, there is a learning curve to a new keyboard but your fingers should adjust quickly (at least mine do). I don't know, maybe there are people that really really have to have them. I would like one because like many before have said, it's a very useful feature to have....but deal breaker? I can't fathom that.

Mal67
Jun 10, 2011, 06:48 PM
Wheres the new mini being designed rumor? Gee whiz apple you would think upping the mini to sb would be a priority. Seems to me they just have their heads in the iclouds.

SPEEDwithJJ
Jun 10, 2011, 06:57 PM
My guess would be it would ship on release date of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion as the first hardware to have the new OS baked in. :D

And it will probably also be the first hardware to come with Mac OS X Lion on the USB re-install thingy. :D

3bs
Jun 10, 2011, 07:23 PM
Hey, I find them handy and would love one as well. I never said it shouldn't or wouldn't be available.

The only thing I can't understand is that a backlit keyboard being a deal breaker for anyone. Are there that many people that had type that badly?

Without backlit keys, there is a learning curve to a new keyboard but your fingers should adjust quickly (at least mine do). I don't know, maybe there are people that really really have to have them. I would like one because like many before have said, it's a very useful feature to have....but deal breaker? I can't fathom that.

I totally get you dude. Sure it's a great feature to have but definitely not a deal breaker. I love my 11.6" MBA and don't regret buying it not one bit!

emwgradstudent
Jun 10, 2011, 07:31 PM
Finally, I want to get an Air this fall when I go back to school. My only wishes ( and I am reasonably sure it will be so): Sandybridge, 4GB of RAM, Thunderbolt, Superdrive compatible with Thunderbolt, and 256GB Flash storage. I am going to get a 13" because it is portable and has great resolution!

3bs
Jun 10, 2011, 07:36 PM
Finally, I want to get an Air this fall when I go back to school. My only wishes ( and I am reasonably sure it will be so): Sandybridge, 4GB of RAM, Thunderbolt, Superdrive compatible with Thunderbolt, and 256GB Flash storage. I am going to get a 13" because it is portable and has great resolution!

4GB RM is already an option on both the MBA's

aleni
Jun 10, 2011, 07:44 PM
please dear God, make it have a 8GB of RAM BTO, if it happens, i'd love to ditch my 11" air and 17"mbp to go alone with the new 13".

davidinva
Jun 10, 2011, 07:49 PM
Price reduction on current models?

3bs
Jun 10, 2011, 07:55 PM
please dear God, make it have a 8GB of RAM BTO, if it happens, i'd love to ditch my 11" air and 17"mbp to go alone with the new 13".

whats BTO?

emwgradstudent
Jun 10, 2011, 07:55 PM
4GB RM is already an option on both the MBA's

Yeah, but I think they will make it the standard and upgradable beyond with Sandybridge.

3bs
Jun 10, 2011, 07:57 PM
Yeah, but I think they will make it the standard and upgradable beyond with Sandybridge.

That would be nice.

bradl
Jun 10, 2011, 07:58 PM

Then you take your eyesight for granted.

Try going without it for a while, or all or most of your life, like those legally blind. Then you'll see how handy a backlit keyboard really comes to be.

My SO uses her constantly, especially given how limited her eyesight is; it was that feature, plus built-in text-to-speech that sold her on a Mac, let alone a MBP. I would love for her to be able to use the MBA, when I buy it, and that is a feature her and others who are blind really depend on.

Just because you don't see a reason for it doesn't mean there isn't a reason for it, nor that people have legit reasons for having it outside of eye candy.

BL.

KPOM
Jun 10, 2011, 08:01 PM
whats BTO?

Build to order.

holycat
Jun 10, 2011, 08:27 PM
@Super duper high resolution high quality screen
@Extra battery capacity without adding too much weight (12 hr battery life)
@8GB ram
@backlit keyboard
@FireWire port

johnnymg
Jun 10, 2011, 08:28 PM
whats BTO?

Build To Order

holycat
Jun 10, 2011, 08:32 PM
Matte display please!

Give, 17 MBP grade matte display!

AppleScruff1
Jun 10, 2011, 08:33 PM
This is good news. The new MBA is going to be an even sweeter machine. A big thumbs up.

MacComas
Jun 10, 2011, 08:36 PM
In an earlier post on this site (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1113096) it was stated that Lion would include Trim support for the SSD. I think there may have also been another article talking about better support in the file system (beyond Trim) for SSD.

If there are changes down at the storage level of the file system to better support SSDs, it would seem much simpler to have the new MBAs start out from the beginning using the new file system, rather than deal with conversion, which may even be impossible without a secondary storage device. If there is such a file system change, that would be another reason to hold off on the release of the MBAs until Lion is released.

kdimitt
Jun 10, 2011, 08:40 PM

Try going without it for a while, or all or most of your life, like those legally blind. Then you'll see how handy a backlit keyboard really comes to be.

My SO uses her constantly, especially given how limited her eyesight is; it was that feature, plus built-in text-to-speech that sold her on a Mac, let alone a MBP. I would love for her to be able to use the MBA, when I buy it, and that is a feature her and others who are blind really depend on.

Just because you don't see a reason for it doesn't mean there isn't a reason for it, nor that people have legit reasons for having it outside of eye candy.

BL.

That is a case, where indeed it would be a deal breaker. I can see that. That is just one case as well. In the case of someone being visually impaired and without such could not operate a computer efficiently it truly is a need, it's a deal breaker.

But, for the majority, it is a convenience, like for myself. Every other person I have heard say it was a "deal breaker" was simply because they were a poor typist and it was 'handy'. I would love a backlit keyboard I think it wouldn't make sense to not have one even as an extra (what is the harm). So my point is not against you.

My original point, that everyone seems to be mistaking, was I don't understand how a non backlit keyboard could become a deal breaker. You have clearly proven your point, I now understand A situation where it would truly be a deal breaker by need. The rest (as far as I'm concerned) as I said originally, are asinine.

mcrazza
Jun 10, 2011, 08:57 PM
backlit keyboard, please. KTHXBAI

frjonah
Jun 10, 2011, 09:12 PM
Kill the MacBook, yes, but do not change the name of the MacBook Air, and lower the price of the MacBook Pro models by 100USD across the board.

The basic question is... is the MacBook a profitable item for Apple currently? Is the demand sufficient to justify its existence?

Without concrete answers to these questions, how can we call for the demise of a product line...?

"Hey, Apple, why don't you cancel a product line that's wildly successful and profitable because I don't imagine I'll be buying one."

That's kind of short sighted in my view... There are lots of ways the MacBook could evolve, while remaining relevant, sleek and an amazing entry-level Mac that will may very well lure people into upgrading eventually to the MacBook Pro...

My advice to Apple: do what the data tells you to do.

Undo Redo
Jun 10, 2011, 09:44 PM
please please please: backlit keyboard. everything else is secondary.
Nah, I want the lighted logo on the back to be black. That's my number one priority. :cool:

bossxii
Jun 10, 2011, 10:18 PM

Confined to your own equipment is great right up to the point a fire, flood or other disaster destroys everything... Then what?

Business is moving to online tools, software and storage. Why waste money on servers and PCs that cost thousands of dollars and basically stuck in a cycle of maintenance, upgrades and keeping a full time IT staff when companies like Google has a staff of 100+ PHD's that do nothing but ensure that data is safe and secure. Not to mention having physical hardware still requires paying for off site back ups. Going online is/will be the cheaper, smarter and safer move as bandwidth to homes increases.

I have all my pictures back up online, I have no need to deal with failed HDD's and wasting money on redundant hardware when it it more secure, disaster proof and always available online. Physical media is needed to run some things but backup solutions that only rely on in house media IMO is only half the solution or it's a crap shoot as to when that hardware fails.

Then again, I'm sure some people enjoy attracting the ladies bragging they have 8,10,20 etc... TB of storage. :cool:

knowledg333
Jun 11, 2011, 12:22 AM

I saw one today in a sports bar in Tampa Bay. Brushed aluminum, about the size of a Blackberry Playbook, maybe a bit thicker. I knew right away that it wasn't an iPad. I didn't bother the guy across the bar who was using it; but I should have! The guy looked to be in his late 40s or early 50s - definitely looked like a "top-brass" type.

It looked like it had a iPhone charger jack on the center of one of the short sides, and there was a headphone jack on that side as well.

What thre me off was that there were no hinges. I didn't see him open it; but when I turned and saw that he opened it, I was blown away. It had an internal hinge mechanizm that seemed to support the weight of the screen so it wouldn't topple over in when opened. The keyboard was black, entirely, and had walled sides around the keys that the screen would snuggly fit into like a puzzle piece. The thing was about 2/3 the width of a macbook. The apple logo looked to be chrome, but it may have been black; it was hard to tell with the light in the bar. The odd thing was that the logo was sideways when in the open position. :confused:

Has anyone heard of anything like this???

Here is a quick sketch I made of the thing (I know, I'm not an artist):
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/255044_10150273647548824_503443823_9080825_3056396_n.jpg
The thickness is probably not to scale...I would say it's 3/4 of an inch thick if I had to guess.

darklich
Jun 11, 2011, 12:30 AM
They need to start putting better displays in their notebooks. I had a 13 inch MBP and the display sucked, I have a new 17 inch MBP and the display sucks. If you don't believe me put yours up next to a notebook with a RGB LED display and you'll cry too. Come on Apple! :D

AppleScruff1
Jun 11, 2011, 12:36 AM
They need to start putting better displays in their notebooks. I had a 13 inch MBP and the display sucked, I have a new 17 inch MBP and the display sucks. If you don't believe me put yours up next to a notebook with a RGB LED display and you'll cry too. Come on Apple! :D

I guess you're right, considering the prices of Macs they should have top of the line displays, although I don't think that they are poor quality now.

darklich
Jun 11, 2011, 12:39 AM
I guess you're right, considering the prices of Macs they should have top of the line displays, although I don't think that they are poor quality now.
You're right, I'm being a bit harsh, but they should be the best displays not good displays. Does anyone at Apple ever care to see a picture in full color on their MBP? I guess I'm the only one and I don't matter to them.

maclaptop
Jun 11, 2011, 12:46 AM
Never happen. It's far too advanced for Apple :)

shadowjeff
Jun 11, 2011, 12:55 AM

Then you take your eyesight for granted, if you're working in the dark most of the time.

Xano
Jun 11, 2011, 01:16 AM
Back Light keyboard please ...

wovel
Jun 11, 2011, 02:16 AM
Then you take your eyesight for granted, if you're working in the dark most of the time.

Then you take your FaceTime HD for granted.

cocacolakid
Jun 11, 2011, 02:33 AM
I saw one today in a sports bar in Tampa Bay. Brushed aluminum, about the size of a Blackberry Playbook, maybe a bit thicker. I knew right away that it wasn't an iPad. I didn't bother the guy across the bar who was using it; but I should have! The guy looked to be in his late 40s or early 50s - definitely looked like a "top-brass" type.

It looked like it had a iPhone charger jack on the center of one of the short sides, and there was a headphone jack on that side as well.

What thre me off was that there were no hinges. I didn't see him open it; but when I turned and saw that he opened it, I was blown away. It had an internal hinge mechanizm that seemed to support the weight of the screen so it wouldn't topple over in when opened. The keyboard was black, entirely, and had walled sides around the keys that the screen would snuggly fit into like a puzzle piece. The thing was about 2/3 the width of a macbook. The apple logo looked to be chrome, but it may have been black; it was hard to tell with the light in the bar. The odd thing was that the logo was sideways when in the open position. :confused:

Has anyone heard of anything like this???

Here is a quick sketch I made of the thing (I know, I'm not an artist):
Image (http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/255044_10150273647548824_503443823_9080825_3056396_n.jpg)
The thickness is probably not to scale...I would say it's 3/4 of an inch thick if I had to guess.

It sounds like it's just one of the many different iPad bluetooth keyboard/case combo's. Zagg and a few others make cases that fit that description and the keyboards have a lip around to snap the iPad into, making it a case.

This one by Logitech has a brushed aluminum body:

http://www.zagg.com/accessories/logitech-ipad-2-keyboard-case

bradl
Jun 11, 2011, 02:43 AM

You assume I am blind. You assume wrong.

Go back and read my post again. I said that my SO is legally blind. you also assume that she works in the dark. Tell me.. How would you feel if you had silver nitrate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_nitrate) spilled into your eyes shortly after you were born, destroying your cornea and optic nerve? Or how about the glaucoma onset by it? Or how about 7 different cornea transplants to barely get the little vision you'd get back after none of them took? Would you be able to live with little to no vision?

I eagerly await your response. Until then, my point still stands, and you don't have room to talk.

BL.

Project
Jun 11, 2011, 03:05 AM
8GB ram and 256GB SSD and I'm in.

trims
Jun 11, 2011, 03:29 AM
I predict that the new MBAs will be released to coincide with the release of Lion, it would make a hell of a lot of sense - especially seeing as the new MBAs aren't going to be a massive leap forward are they, at least in terms of hardware. I reckon all we can hope for is sandy bridge, and maybe a TB port, anything after that will be a bonus, but I don't see it happening this time round.

Spot on. Maybe a FaceTime HD camera too? Any other physical change (incl backlit keyboard) unlikely, IMHO.

I wonder how they keep it secret, while making 380,000 of them?

OSMac
Jun 11, 2011, 04:54 AM
Apple's Priorities?

MBA = Thin, quiet, light weight

Next MBP = Powerful, Long Battery Life, Lighted keyboard

roadbloc
Jun 11, 2011, 05:08 AM
@FireWire port

You've got more chance of waking up on the moon tomorrow morning. FireWire failed. USB prevailed. Thunderbolt... we'll see.

Marx55
Jun 11, 2011, 05:34 AM
The fact that the 11.6-inch MacBook Air has outsold the 13.3-inch model is revealing. If Apple made an even lighter and smaller MacBook Air, it would outsell the other models as well. Because many people want a full Mac but as mobile as possible. And here the iPad cannot deliver, because it is not a Mac.

nizmoz
Jun 11, 2011, 06:51 AM
You assume I am blind. You assume wrong.

Go back and read my post again. I said that my SO is legally blind. you also assume that she works in the dark. Tell me.. How would you feel if you had silver nitrate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_nitrate) spilled into your eyes shortly after you were born, destroying your cornea and optic nerve? Or how about the glaucoma onset by it? Or how about 7 different cornea transplants to barely get the little vision you'd get back after none of them took? Would you be able to live with little to no vision?

I eagerly await your response. Until then, my point still stands, and you don't have room to talk.

BL.

Sorry for your friends personal problems but that has no relevance to this thread. You should not need a light on the keyboard to type as most can type without looking at the keyboard. Please take the attitude elsewhere.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

MrNomNoms
Jun 11, 2011, 07:04 AM

Which would be a blood headache when it came to supporting international customers so I doubt they would do it. If you really want 3G support then go purchase a USB dongle from your local carrier - Sierra Wireless make a really nice one (Aircard 308) which has 64bit drivers for Mac OS X already which means it'll work out of the box and integrated with the latest iMac and MacBook Pro's which load into 64bit kernel by default.

Radoo
Jun 11, 2011, 07:12 AM
I am pretty sure they will put some newer CPUs, but not better than a medium spec Macbook Pro, as everyone will quit buying MBPs.:D

MrNomNoms
Jun 11, 2011, 07:18 AM
I am pretty sure they will put some newer CPUs, but not better than a medium spec Macbook Pro, as everyone will quit buying MBPs.:D

Meh, I'd say they'll put one of those low voltage models with the embedded GPU's - it'll work alright but it'll be only good for things like office work, the odd bit of development here and there but nothing majorly heavy lifting. What I think is the greater threat isn't MacBook Air cannibalising MacBook Pro but more likely MacBook Air challenging the MacBook given the low entry level of the MacBook Air these days. My old man, who would have been a perfect candidate for a MacBook has been looking at the MacBook Air instead - I doubt he is the only one thinking along those lines.

Radoo
Jun 11, 2011, 07:21 AM
Meh, I'd say they'll put one of those low voltage models with the embedded GPU's - it'll work alright but it'll be only good for things like office work, the odd bit of development here and there but nothing majorly heavy lifting. What I think is the greater threat isn't MacBook Air cannibalising MacBook Pro but more likely MacBook Air challenging the MacBook given the low entry level of the MacBook Air these days. My old man, who would have been a perfect candidate for a MacBook has been looking at the MacBook Air instead - I doubt he is the only one thinking along those lines.
Dude, learn to read... I said the same thing for the first part. :rolleyes:

3bs
Jun 11, 2011, 07:30 AM
Spot on. Maybe a FaceTime HD camera too? Any other physical change (incl backlit keyboard) unlikely, IMHO.

I wonder how they keep it secret, while making 380,000 of them?

Yeah the camera on my 11.6" really sucks even compared to my 08 macbook

skunk
Jun 11, 2011, 07:35 AM
Will they not have to design a more compact version of the Thunderbolt port? It looks far too big to fit in the side of an Air.

Undo Redo
Jun 11, 2011, 08:29 AM
Will they not have to design a more compact version of the Thunderbolt port? It looks far too big to fit in the side of an Air.
It's the same as the current mini displayport.

endhalf
Jun 11, 2011, 10:17 AM
cmon, Steve, I have birthday at monday, would you be so kind and send me one of these 13" puppies in advance please? :-))

theyanman
Jun 11, 2011, 10:38 AM
I too have been looking forward to the SB MBAs. Hopefully they will add the BL keyboard to it or at least a BTO option for it.

Carl Sagan
Jun 11, 2011, 11:35 AM
There are just some ridiculous posts here...

4MB ram? You mean 4GB ram. Also, 2GB should be than enough to run Lion for next years to come. Apple will not give up their 100 dollars. Their competitions are much more expensive than they are. These are premium thin laptop. They are not made for average joe...

Intel Graphic card is better than Nvidia? Okay...

7 inch laptop? I am glad you don't work for apple. I would sell my shares and move my money elsewhere.

There are some posts here that are either serious trolls or some people just don't have any idea what is going on here and are just making ridiculous demands.

What would you like to see in the new MBA's? :confused:

scrapple
Jun 11, 2011, 11:41 AM
does macbook airs have the lighted keyboards??

if not, then they need them... i wont buy an apple without one...

knowledg333
Jun 11, 2011, 11:58 AM
It sounds like it's just one of the many different iPad bluetooth keyboard/case combo's. Zagg and a few others make cases that fit that description and the keyboards have a lip around to snap the iPad into, making it a case.

This one by Logitech has a brushed aluminum body:

http://www.zagg.com/accessories/logitech-ipad-2-keyboard-case

Thanks Cocacolakid! That has to be exactly what I saw. What threw me off is that it looked smaller than an iPad; but, I'm sure I was just convincing myself it was smaller. I was a few beers in as well... :p

Cheers!

maclaptop
Jun 11, 2011, 12:27 PM
Thunderbolt??

Thunderbolt is a farce.

It's nothing more than an old school copper wire. NOT The Fiber Optic system that is patented as Light Peak, which is the real nomenclature for the technology.

At the last moment they got cheap, removed the fiber, and strung a silly little piece of copper wire in it. This reduced the data transfer rate dramatically.

Sure it's a bit faster than USB, but not even close to what it was when invented. Not only that, once you turn Apple loose, they always come up with some "Magical and Revolutionary" name and claim for what's it's capable of.

What a sham.

Project
Jun 11, 2011, 12:29 PM
A bit faster? TB has 4x the throughput.

clibinarius
Jun 11, 2011, 12:41 PM
I see this as dubious. Apple wants a yearly release schedule on all their products it looks like, and I don't see the Macbook Air being an exception. I honestly think the current models will last until Ivy Bridge is ready to go, and then Apple will move to a yearly release date. After all, why do R&D to fit in a chip with inferior graphics, no USB 3, when you'll have much better ULV chips next year, integrated OpenGL and USB3.

The Macbook Air also isn't slow.

Full disclosure, I own one, but I don't care if its obsolete. I just don't see the point in a SB Macbook Air.

bradl
Jun 11, 2011, 12:46 PM
Sorry for your friends personal problems but that has no relevance to this thread. You should not need a light on the keyboard to type as most can type without looking at the keyboard. Please take the attitude elsewhere.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

It actually is quite relevant to this thread. The poster I responded to said that I took my eyesight for granted from working in the dark. If you go back and read my posts, you would have seen how my SO's situation would be a good use for having a backlit keyboard, as she could actually see the keys to type.

If you couldn't see how something like limited or poor eyesight couldn't warrant such a feature on an MBA, then I still say that one is taking their eyesight for granted. You do not know how many times I've helped her to spell check her posts, email and other documents because she would be off on her hand positioning because she couldn't see where the right keys were. Having a backlit keyboard not only frees me from doing that, but saves time, and, most importantly, gives her INDEPENDENCE.

If you don't think that's a worthy feature and not relevant, I don't know what to say...

BL.

Project
Jun 11, 2011, 12:46 PM
I
Full disclosure, I own one, but I don't care if its obsolete. I just don't see the point in a SB Macbook Air.

Honestly, what is wrong with people here?

SB blows away C2D. That's the point. And another year from now when Ivy Bridge is ready Apple will ship that.

iBug2
Jun 11, 2011, 12:52 PM
It does seem like the price isn't coming down as fast as it does for other technology. I also wonder why.

The prices for SSD's are actually coming down but every time that does happen, they release an even faster SSD with higher price point. But if you check the ones released 3 years ago, they are very cheap at the moment. Even the 1.5 year old ones have acceptable prices. But since one always wants to buy the newest and fastest, their prices stay basically the same which is normal.

Confined to your own equipment is great right up to the point a fire, flood or other disaster destroys everything... Then what?

Business is moving to online tools, software and storage. Why waste money on servers and PCs that cost thousands of dollars and basically stuck in a cycle of maintenance, upgrades and keeping a full time IT staff when companies like Google has a staff of 100+ PHD's that do nothing but ensure that data is safe and secure. Not to mention having physical hardware still requires paying for off site back ups. Going online is/will be the cheaper, smarter and safer move as bandwidth to homes increases.

I have all my pictures back up online, I have no need to deal with failed HDD's and wasting money on redundant hardware when it it more secure, disaster proof and always available online. Physical media is needed to run some things but backup solutions that only rely on in house media IMO is only half the solution or it's a crap shoot as to when that hardware fails.

Then again, I'm sure some people enjoy attracting the ladies bragging they have 8,10,20 etc... TB of storage. :cool:

Exactly. The future of back up is cloud. It's much more secure than keeping your drives at home. Server farms specifically designed to keep your data secure are much better at doing that than you. And cheaper as well. In 10-15 years a big portion of the civilized world should have very fast internet backbone, so clouding won't be an issue.

Thunderbolt is a farce.

It's nothing more than an old school copper wire. NOT The Fiber Optic system that is patented as Light Peak, which is the real nomenclature for the technology.

At the last moment they got cheap, removed the fiber, and strung a silly little piece of copper wire in it. This reduced the data transfer rate dramatically.

Sure it's a bit faster than USB, but not even close to what it was when invented. Not only that, once you turn Apple loose, they always come up with some "Magical and Revolutionary" name and claim for what's it's capable of.

What a sham.

Yes we all know how much we all need 100gbit bandwidth between our external HD and our laptop. Get real. 10Gbit is more than enough for any type of connection at the moment. If they released the Fiber version it'd be overkill for todays needs. The fact that it was patented as a fiber optic port simply says that it supports fiber and can scale without changing basically anything other than cabling, which is something you can't say for USB. Btw, it's not Apple's patent, it's Intel's.

clibinarius
Jun 11, 2011, 01:27 PM
Honestly, what is wrong with people here?

SB blows away C2D. That's the point. And another year from now when Ivy Bridge is ready Apple will ship that.

I'm not disputing that. But I don't see why Apple would do it when SB Macbook airs will probably be ready in seven months anyway...if production starts now, that means they'll be marketed until Christmas. Apple's going to migrate onto those very fast for the Macbook Air in my view. I find it dubious that Intel won't come out of the gate with ULV processors. Also, consider the last time Apple got their update: before Christmas. Will Apple really release a machine before Ivy Bridge is ready?

It doesn't make sense from a business prospective. People looking for power aren't looking for a Macbook Air right now. Its never been that kind of machine. To design an SB Macbook Air would cost a lot of money I'm sure. Seems better spent on an early Ivy Bridge. Again, Apple has little competition beyond ASUS here, so they have time to wait and release something very big.

As far as an update for myself, I'm waiting for Haswell. But I don't see the point in buying a USB 2.0 Air beyond the current one. I mean, how fast do I need to load something very fast? Unless you're someone who thinks the C2D isn't good enough...then I'll say, try my AMD64 from 2004-which is still a bloody fast machine seven years later.

striker33
Jun 11, 2011, 01:38 PM
I'd say July is a definite release date for the new Airs.

Including Lion pre-installed is an easy way for Apple to make extra sales.

endhalf
Jun 11, 2011, 02:51 PM
Yes we all know how much we all need 100gbit bandwidth between our external HD and our laptop. Get real. 10Gbit is more than enough for any type of connection at the moment. If they released the Fiber version it'd be overkill for todays needs. .

Dude, so what? If they just thought that it is overkill, they would release it anyway because they wouldn't need invest into anything similar for quite some time and they could focus on something else... They didn't release it because they will get more money if they release first TB and then the real deal...

What is wrong with some of you? You settle with worse technology just because it is ok? If everybodey released the best right away, we'd be few years ahead our time... Don't you all want that?

iansilv
Jun 11, 2011, 02:57 PM
Dude, so what? If they just thought that it is overkill, they would release it anyway because they wouldn't need invent anything new like that for quite some time and they could focus on something else... They didn't release it because they will get more money if they release first TB and then the real deal...

What is wrong with some of you? You settle with worse technology just because it is ok? If everybodey released the best right away, we'd be few years ahead our time... Don't you all want that?

^ This!

KPOM
Jun 11, 2011, 03:56 PM
It doesn't make sense from a business prospective. People looking for power aren't looking for a Macbook Air right now. Its never been that kind of machine. To design an SB Macbook Air would cost a lot of money I'm sure. Seems better spent on an early Ivy Bridge. Again, Apple has little competition beyond ASUS here, so they have time to wait and release something very big.

Several competitors, including Lenovo and Samsung, are already using Westmere and/or Sandy Bridge processors in similar models, so Apple is likely to do so now in order to keep pace. The Core 2 Duo is an old design so even though Ivy Bridge is a few months away, I don't think it is wise for Apple to wait much longer. They can release a new version next year if they want to. Just because they do doesn't mean you need to update to it, so why should potential MacBook Air buyers in July or September be denied a Sandy Bridge version if one is ready?

bijanorama
Jun 11, 2011, 04:07 PM
Apple needs to re-instate the backlit-keyboard.

Then, only then, would I even consider upgrading.

A good amount of people keep requesting the backlit keyboard. Personally, I never use that function as the screen usually generates enough light for me to see the keys. I also don't use my macbook in bed, usually at a desk. Which limits my screen to a maximum of 110 degrees.

Maybe glow in the dark paint for the letters might be a better option so that it's not sucking battery life which is already limited on the MBA?

I think the thing I dislike the most about the backlit keys is that it looks cheap. Light bleeds out the side and you can see under the keys when you're at arms distance.

It's nice to have options though - if enough people like the option, I don't see when they wouldn't implement it.

I love the proportions of the macbook pro. Ideally, the macbook air would lose the wedge format and look just like a super thin macbook pro. This may allow for more battery capacity.

I would also like to see edge to edge screen with minimal bezel. Similar to the proportions of the 17" MBP.

I don't foresee apple doing this.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 11, 2011, 04:33 PM
The prices for SSD's are actually coming down but every time that does happen, they release an even faster SSD with higher price point. But if you check the ones released 3 years ago, they are very cheap at the moment. Even the 1.5 year old ones have acceptable prices. But since one always wants to buy the newest and fastest, their prices stay basically the same which is normal.

I giess when I go to price them they are only showing the latest speed versions. But part of the problem is that the largest capacity are now just getting to the size I would consider using. I have no need of a 160GB drive of any type. At this point 500GB is a minimum for a laptop for me. The largest sized drives are up over $1000. I'm looking at it from the perspective of the price of the largest drive not going down as that largest size slowly gets big enough for me to consider it.

potatis
Jun 11, 2011, 04:34 PM

Some people actually like to have a white color Mac.

iBug2
Jun 11, 2011, 04:41 PM
I giess when I go to price them they are only showing the latest speed versions. But part of the problem is that the largest capacity are now just getting to the size I would consider using. I have no need of a 160GB drive of any type. At this point 500GB is a minimum for a laptop for me. The largest sized drives are up over $1000. I'm looking at it from the perspective of the price of the largest drive not going down as that largest size slowly gets big enough for me to consider it.

You shouldn't get a 480GB SSD. That's waste of money. Get a 120GB one and get an external usb powered disk if you really need space.

Dude, so what? If they just thought that it is overkill, they would release it anyway because they wouldn't need invest into anything similar for quite some time and they could focus on something else... They didn't release it because they will get more money if they release first TB and then the real deal...

So you are saying that I'd be 3 year older than today? No thanks.

Some tech is waiting and some tech is already releasing what they can. Even if intel released 100gbit fiber TB, it's of no use today. I don't even have a clue what kind of a use would that be even in 5 years. I don't think SSD's will reach that kind of throughput in 5 years. Even RAM isn't that fast. That's basically PCI-Express 2.0 speed. 100gbit fiber is only for a show off like they did when they demoed it, putting RAM several miles away from the CPU and running the computer. Now if you have RAM in a remote toolshed, which you really can't get to without a fiber connection, 100gbit TB is for you. :)

At this point even USB 3.0 is overkill unless you have striped several SATA III SSD's.

caspersoong
Jun 11, 2011, 07:48 PM
Hoping for major changes here not just a minor improvement... Please, Apple...

clibinarius
Jun 11, 2011, 07:50 PM
Several competitors, including Lenovo and Samsung, are already using Westmere and/or Sandy Bridge processors in similar models, so Apple is likely to do so now in order to keep pace. The Core 2 Duo is an old design so even though Ivy Bridge is a few months away, I don't think it is wise for Apple to wait much longer. They can release a new version next year if they want to. Just because they do doesn't mean you need to update to it, so why should potential MacBook Air buyers in July or September be denied a Sandy Bridge version if one is ready?

I was saying that because I don't think its sour grapes about my thing being obsolete. I knew it was obsolete when buying it. I simply don't think it is in Apple's way of doing things. Don't forget that the Mac Mini still has C2D and probably is more needing of an update due to the fact it is a desktop...

The only way I can see Apple doing this is if they plan on having August release dates for their Air line. Which might mean IB's ULV won't be ready until July of next year. I'd recommend checking on dates.

Carl Sagan
Jun 11, 2011, 07:58 PM

I'd like:

HD Facetime
Better battery
SB chipset

mwayne85
Jun 11, 2011, 08:24 PM

What kind of major changes are you hoping for? They just redesigned it last year so it will probably appear the same. Not expecting much more than Sandy bridge, thunderbolt, and possibly a backlit keyboard.

shanmugam
Jun 11, 2011, 08:42 PM
128GB standard (may be 25nm NAND)
Sandy Bridge CPUs
4GB RAM

that itself is great update...

13" MBA @$999 would be awesome, would not happen with Intel CPU pricing ...

MrNomNoms
Jun 12, 2011, 03:15 AM
Dude, learn to read... I said the same thing for the first part. :rolleyes:

How about YOU reading peoples posts - where did I disagree with you? come on, show me, word for word where I disagree with you?

And btw, I said the 'Low Voltage' range which is an entirely different product range when compared to what is on offer in the MacBook Pro.

twoodcc
Jun 12, 2011, 11:56 AM
hopefully they are shipping on Wednesday!

Jasoco
Jun 12, 2011, 07:52 PM
I already know I will be highly considering the Air as my next machine, but I don't know yet whether I'm going to go 11" or 13".

I like the resolution of the 13", but I love the smallness of the 11". The 11" still has more pixels than my 2010 MBP so... But the 13" has a lot more than that.

I like having an SD slot, but I rarely use it. Like rarely. So it's not a deal-breaker. In fact, with my setup, all I would do is plug any media into my Mac mini and transfer anything I need to my external HDD.

I can't believe they took out the backlit keyboard. I have grown reliant on it so not having it would play a big part in my decision to go Air or not.

I have 8GB RAM right now, so whatever model I get will need to have at least 4. So I would add it if needed.

I don't even need 128GB. I've discovered that I have so much stuff on my SSD in my MBP that I don't need so I've moved most of it to a portable 1TB HDD. I've gotten down to 65GB on my SSD with 10GB of movies I can easily move out of my Movies folder which would take it down to 55GB with an easy 9GB free. I'd also deactivate the sleep image to save the 4GB that would be taken up by the RAM image. (I never let my laptop sleep all the way down to 0% and even if it did, Lion will be designed for easy pick up from last place. But if they bumped the low end to 128GB I wouldn't cry.

I also like the lightness of the 11" vs. the 13". The 11" is literally half the weight of my 13" Pro. And an inch narrower.

My wouldn't minds:
128GB in base 11"
Maybe higher resolution in 11"?
4GB base across the board

My wants:
Backlit keyboard returns... please!

Simple really. A 128GB 11" with 4GB for $1000 would be a definitely buy even if it didn't have a backlit keyboard. Without the 128 would still be a buy. And without the 4GB would also be a buy, but then it would need a backlight.

If all that fails, it's a 13" Air for me later this year, or a 13" Pro in a couple years. (I wouldn't even be considering upgrading so soon if I didn't have a C2D.)