PDA

View Full Version : Memory Compatibility

hcuar
Mar 23, 2005, 03:09 PM
Well, I just wanted to post to let people know about some compatibility issues with mixing Crucial and Apple RAM in their Macs.

I spoke to a guy over at Crucial who told me that JEDEC SPD standards on the way the memory chips are manufactured changed and could cause compatiblity issues when mixing with Apple RAM. He didn't mention when the change had occured, however I had difficulty in adding an extra 1GB (installed in matched pairs 512x2 from Crucial.com) to the original 512MB (installed in matched pairs 256x2 from Apple). So, if anyone is planning on getting the base 256 upgraded on a new PM (from Apple) and then adding more RAM from Crucial, let this be a warning. It's a good change that you won't be able to use the base RAM you receive from Apple.

varmit
Mar 23, 2005, 03:40 PM
Well, I just wanted to post to let people know about some compatibility issues with mixing Crucial and Apple RAM in their Macs.Really, maybe that is why when people are having troubles, one of the first things we ask if if they have "installed any third party RAM". It has been known for years now that Apples RAM sometimes doesn't like being paired with other Third Party RAM. At which point, you return the RAM you just bought, and get another set from Crucial, or get it from OWC, or who ever you want to get it from.