Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidkrocks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
Hey All,
Long time reader, first time Poster.

The story begins During this school year, my brother stumbled upon the backroom to a whole nest of PowerPCs his high school were planning to recycle from various teachers. The computers sat there for over 6 months and my brother decided to bring a few pieces of the so called “Trash” home…
After returning from College, I encountered a room with old-school apple computers
1 MDD 1 GHz Dual Core Powermac g4
1 Apple Studio Display
1 Emac with a 15? Inch screen
1 IBook g3

after building my first computer for the first time this year and working at the college it department, I learn the importance of the definition of “dated Hardware” is usually not dated at all! So I took it upon myself (not having a summer job rocks) and gave the PowerPCs another Life.
After spending roughly 4 hours cleaning all the dirt and dust residing in the MDD, I polished the internal and external parts with car wax and clean the studio display. After cleaning it inside and out, I began noticing loud fans and slow performance. With little bit of money and time I started bringing the machine into the 21st century.

What Did I do to Speed up the MDD:

-Upgraded the ram from 192mb to Whopping 2 1gb DDR Ram (acquired from my now dead Sony Vaio PC) Cost: $0
-Opened up the power supply and clean out a handful of dust (Cools the Power supply down, extending the life) Cost: $0
-Cram in two new power-supply fans to replace the old pair (I believe this will hopefully be quieter) Cost 2*$10
-Installed the emac white fan and crafty have the fan powered by a Molex connector AND the old 120mm MB fan control. (Possibly overvolts the fan? But provides additional cooling capabilities!)
Cost: $0
replaced the obnoxious fan with a quieter fan (with blue leds! Eh, I like it) Found the unopened fan at a yard sale for $2.
Total cost of upgrade $22!

PROS:

-I can use Firefox 4 plus the extensions, Thanks tenfourfox!!!
-Download 800mb videos from streaming websites and watch smoothly on Mplayer or VLC!
-480P YouTube RUNS!
- Leopard Runs Extremely smooth on the MDD…No slowdowns at all…It actually runs YouTube 360p without any slowdowns, AWSOME
-Loving Calibre with 8000 E-books; that’s enough books to last me a lifetime! (Thanks Demonoid)
-It runs SNES emulator and Nintendo DS emulator with ease!
-Apple design execution and reliability for the parts is an A+ from me…The MDD looks Modern!
- Free! Another person trash is another person’s treasure!

Cons:

-The computer fans offer my eardrums with the spectacular “mmmmmmmmmmmm” sound, droning out all outside sounds
- I wouldn’t have to stream videos if only Netflix would make PowerPC compatible software….Why Netflix, WHYY!
-Research to find what last version of software that’s PowerPC compatible can be redundant and tiresome.
- The apple studio display option disappeared off display setting and clicking the button only offers a 2 second glow followed by nothing. (Any idea’s PowerPC Gurus??) So, after spending 3 hours searching forums (like apple.com) nobody has found a way to fix it, Thanks apple for not offering any solutions to over 40+ topics with the same issue!
-100 dollars for an ADC adapter…really apple?
-Why does PowerPC have to be a dead architecture? I’ve read they were pretty powerful and unique design. 
-Hardware restrictions really do get cumbersome to remember, especially for video cards!
-Inflated Prices for this hardware is more of a gripe I have with resellers.

But hey, I am super happy there are communities like this one that still offers salvations for us PowerPC stranglers with awesome software and hardware suggestions and resources…The forum really encourages me to keep “ Being Different” and using this MDD over my own built window’s computer!

I would talk about the speed of a 500 MHz 192mb ram 10GB! Hard drive ibookg3 but that’s for another day 
Thanks for the support guys and I wish you all luck to keep the PowerPC’s Truck’n.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Awesome story! Respect!

Power PC's were really great, very stable arquitecture. Apple decided to go mainstream with Intel. Great in many senses, but it lost it's once stable platform.

iLucas

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2011
Indiana
I agree nice story! I wish i could get some free machines haha.

I have a few PowerPcs laying around that i use every so often and they are wonderful machines. It's just to bad that they are not supported past leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.