PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on my magnetic stylus?

JackMalone
Jun 10, 2011, 04:20 PM
Hello all,

I have just launched a Kickstarter project for a magnetic iPad stylus (for iPads 1&2). I would like to hear any valued feedback from anyone who's willing to provide it! After all, I am just another Mac fan & user trying to solve our product-based problems through product-design.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1168713538/the-magnetic-snapstylus-for-ipad?ref=live

Thanks!

3goldens
Jun 10, 2011, 05:16 PM
Very nifty idea! Good for you and your inginuity!

My intial thoughts would be, many if not most Ipad users have cases, obviously to protect their aluminum backs so the magnetic factor would not work for them.
Not sure you would get over that hurdle.

The other problem is many are very particuler about the type pf stylus they use, some like the Targus, some like the Alum, Kennisington, etc. All these stylus's have differant writing capabilities that either do or dont lend themselves to the users writing style. Most of us that use a stylus have tried a few and have decided which one works best for us.

Being an unknown stylus brand also presents yet another challange to you as consumers who tend to gravitate to something they are accustomed to, or have tried and are hessitant to try somethig that has no track record.

It would be interesting to see if it were possible to utlize some of the better brands, including the recently released Wacom, and somehow incorporate your magnetic feature into those.

Be that as it may, only my thoughts, and does not take away from the excellant idea you have and I do wish you every success in seeing this project fully funded! All the best!

JackMalone
Jun 10, 2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the comments! I understand where you"re coming from. I've found that the Targus and Kensington models are very similar in feel to mine. However, like you said there are many variations out there.

Thanks for the compliments as well as the suggestions.

-Jack

SchneiderMan
Jun 10, 2011, 10:51 PM
Well, you're not the first to create a magnetic stylus. I've posted about the Maglus a while ago and personally I think it's sleeker.

JackMalone
Jun 10, 2011, 11:43 PM
It seems that the "Maglus" was a foreign product concept that never progressed to market? After just searching on Google, it appears as though its not available for purchase, and it was being offered as a pre-order around $25; instead of $5-$10 (like the SnapStylus)... as far as the design goes, everyone has different tastes I suppose?

Also, it would appear that the "Maglus" is not compatible with the first generation iPad, which the SnapStylus is.

Thanks

-Jack

3goldens
Jun 11, 2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the comments! I understand where you"re coming from. I've found that the Targus and Kensington models are very similar in feel to mine. However, like you said there are many variations out there.

Thanks for the compliments as well as the suggestions.

-Jack

Which stylus will you use for yours?

JackMalone
Jun 11, 2011, 12:14 PM
Which stylus will you use for yours?

The SnapStylus itself feels/looks (other than color) a lot like the Targus brand one... About the same length, maybe a hair longer... It is also a little bit heavier-- which I personally like...

As far as feel when writing goes, you will not notice much difference if using the Targus and SnapStylus side by side. Like I said, the weight and a little extra length (not much longer) make it write better in my opinion.

Thanks,

Jack

3goldens
Jun 11, 2011, 02:06 PM
The SnapStylus itself feels/looks (other than color) a lot like the Targus brand one... About the same length, maybe a hair longer... It is also a little bit heavier-- which I personally like...

As far as feel when writing goes, you will not notice much difference if using the Targus and SnapStylus side by side. Like I said, the weight and a little extra length (not much longer) make it write better in my opinion.

Thanks,

Jack

thanks i think folks should give it a try! i might put myself down for one.

JackMalone
Jun 11, 2011, 03:33 PM
thanks i think folks should give it a try! i might put myself down for one.

No problem... I love that I can always count on MacRumors to provide good feedback. Everyone on here is always interested in taking the time to speak their opinion (positive or negative) which is really valuable to me.

And, I think you'll like it. There are still spots available at the $5 price point since it was launched less than 24 hours ago, so you really can't go wrong in my opinion.

http://www.SnapStylus.com (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1168713538/the-magnetic-snapstylus-for-ipad)

Thanks,

Jack

h00ligan
Jun 11, 2011, 03:48 PM
Seems useful, I pledged.

JackMalone
Jun 11, 2011, 06:08 PM
Seems useful, I pledged.

Thanks for your interest! I think you'll really enjoy the SnapStylus!

Thanks,

Jack

noeljoyce
Jun 13, 2011, 08:54 AM
Hi Jack, Hi guys

I am one of the co-creators of Maglus and I just thought I would give you an update on Maglus.

We have a patent pending on the Maglus magnetic stylus and we are busy readying the Maglus for launch which is why we have not been very active lately. We had initially put the Maglus on a crowdfunding site here in Ireland as we could not put the project on Kickstarter as we had initially intended. Unfortunately the crowd funding site we were using does not have anything like the traffic that Kickstarter has so we did not reach our target, however we did get to 6000 euros on this small site and feel we may have been successful if we could have been on Kickstarter.

We will be launching our site in the next couple of weeks for preorder and expect first shipments to be on their way to people a week or two after that. We have had to go it alone on this project and this is why it has taken us a little longer and we would like to thank everyone for their continued support.

The following link has photos of the finished project and links to videos of it in action as well as other info on Maglus.

http://www.themaglus.com/

Let us know what you think.

Best of luck with your project Jack we would,ve loved to have been able to use Kickstarter.

Thanks,

Noel

3goldens
Jun 13, 2011, 09:04 AM
Interesting design, I like Jacks, better though.

JackMalone
Jun 14, 2011, 01:44 AM
Hi Jack, Hi guys

I am one of the co-creators of Maglus and I just thought I would give you an update on Maglus.

We have a patent pending on the Maglus magnetic stylus and we are busy readying the Maglus for launch which is why we have not been very active lately. We had initially put the Maglus on a crowdfunding site here in Ireland as we could not put the project on Kickstarter as we had initially intended. Unfortunately the crowd funding site we were using does not have anything like the traffic that Kickstarter has so we did not reach our target, however we did get to 6000 euros on this small site and feel we may have been successful if we could have been on Kickstarter.

We will be launching our site in the next couple of weeks for preorder and expect first shipments to be on their way to people a week or two after that. We have had to go it alone on this project and this is why it has taken us a little longer and we would like to thank everyone for their continued support.

The following link has photos of the finished project and links to videos of it in action as well as other info on Maglus.

http://www.themaglus.com/

Let us know what you think.

Best of luck with your project Jack we would,ve loved to have been able to use Kickstarter.

Thanks,

Noel

Hi Noel,

Thanks for introducing yourself. I think the concept of keeping your stylus attached to the iPad via magnetic attraction is very neat, and its even more beneficial that potential consumers have options for multiple products, with similar properties.

After looking at your product, I believe that our respective products have enough differences to vary in the eyes' of consumers. Our price points are definitely different, as well as the designs of the styluses themselves.

I wish you best of luck with your product, Maglus. I hope that we can both be successful, while offering everyone good product variation.

-Jack

nineohtoo
Jun 14, 2011, 04:44 AM
Both seem really cool, but I'm more curious about the nub size than anything. I know the iPad isnt the ideal artist tool, but I find it works pretty well considering it's limitations. One thing that I think would help is the smaller nubs, like on the bamboo one.

noeljoyce
Jun 14, 2011, 12:27 PM
Both seem really cool, but I'm more curious about the nub size than anything. I know the iPad isnt the ideal artist tool, but I find it works pretty well considering it's limitations. One thing that I think would help is the smaller nubs, like on the bamboo one.

Hey nineohtoo

Thanks for the comment

Noel here again, myself and Andy who is the other creator of Maglus are industrial designers and utilize our iPads for sketch work and concept development. We designed the Maglus from scratch to be used for this kind of work and to get the best out of the iPad as well as being a great stylus for apps, games, etc. We have selected a tip from dozens we have tested in Maglus development that is a little bigger than the Wacom one as we have found it great to use for sketch work etc. We realize that it must function perfectly as well as be able to adhere to the iPad.

I hope this answers your question.

We will keep you guys posted as we go along.

Thanks again

Noel

noeljoyce
Jun 14, 2011, 02:00 PM
Hi Noel,

Thanks for introducing yourself. I think the concept of keeping your stylus attached to the iPad via magnetic attraction is very neat, and its even more beneficial that potential consumers have options for multiple products, with similar properties.

After looking at your product, I believe that our respective products have enough differences to vary in the eyes' of consumers. Our price points are definitely different, as well as the designs of the styluses themselves.

I wish you best of luck with your product, Maglus. I hope that we can both be successful, while offering everyone good product variation.

-Jack

HiJack

After first coming up with the concept Andy and myself spent the past few months developing Maglus to ensure that we could offer people a great product. Perhaps this is why to you it seemed that the "Maglus" was a foreign product concept that never progressed to market? I would just like to address this.

As you said our price points are different as is the design and it is great for people to have different options. Allow me to explain our rational.

Our price point is higher to accommodate the cost of an original stylus that has been designed and developed from the ground up to take into consideration a number of aspects. Indeed in the early stages of development we started by sticking magnets onto OEM styluses etc and quickly realized potential issues in relation to damage to the iPad, ergonomics of the stylus, offline use, etc.

The design of the Maglus is aligned to compliment the devices it is intended for use with as well as to address the issues mentioned above this is how we arrived at the form factor you seen.

We will keep you updated as we progress.

Thanks again.

Noel

JackMalone
Jun 14, 2011, 05:42 PM
HiJack

After first coming up with the concept Andy and myself spent the past few months developing Maglus to ensure that we could offer people a great product. Perhaps this is why to you it seemed that the "Maglus" was a foreign product concept that never progressed to market? I would just like to address this.

As you said our price points are different as is the design and it is great for people to have different options. Allow me to explain our rational.

Our price point is higher to accommodate the cost of an original stylus that has been designed and developed from the ground up to take into consideration a number of aspects. Indeed in the early stages of development we started by sticking magnets onto OEM styluses etc and quickly realized potential issues in relation to damage to the iPad, ergonomics of the stylus, offline use, etc.

The design of the Maglus is aligned to compliment the devices it is intended for use with as well as to address the issues mentioned above this is how we arrived at the form factor you seen.

We will keep you updated as we progress.

Thanks again.

Noel

Hi Noel,

I can certainly understand your suggested retail price, and I'm sure there are consumers who are willing to pay that price-- however, I feel equally, if not more confident in the SnapStylus' ability to give consumers an awesome experience out of a magnetic stylus. Considering the iPad is already so finger-friendly, Styluses are really accessories and not necessities. From this outlook, I priced my SnapStylus at $5-$10 because it is very affordable for most. A higher price point on an accessory often brings me to question how much I really need it.
To address the ergonomics and safety of the SnapStylus, I have only received favorable feedback from those who have been able to test my prototypes. It really is a sleek stylus and I truly believe those who receive their's will agree.

I wish you and your partner the best of luck with your Maglus product.

-Jack
http://www.SnapStylus.com

h00ligan
Aug 18, 2011, 12:26 PM
I have some feedback to offer based on receiving the item.

A) it came scratched and dinged, no documentation just a bubble mailer as one would expect from china

B) it's very light, blessing for the magnetic, but very cheap feeling

C) it tracks poorly compared to my targus, missing swipes, etc.

Unfortunately it seems you are off to a very rocky start. $5 as an experiment is fine... Had I paid ten I'd be seeking a refund. So for potential buyers this may be a case of , you get what you pay for. If you don't mind cheap construct and feel, imperfections...etc..just want a cheap stylus, you may be fine. For me..it's a garbage stuffer.

PacMookBro
Aug 22, 2011, 09:08 PM
Another kickstarter, Adonit Jot, is also magnetic. It gives you more precision when writing. Worth considering.

h00ligan
Aug 22, 2011, 10:44 PM
I saw it but am hesitant after my dealings with their cs and the folio case.