PDA

View Full Version : Apple Stopping Sales Of Some Verizon iPads

MacRumors
Jun 10, 2011, 07:15 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/10/apple-stopping-sales-of-some-verizon-ipads/)

Apple is recalling (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304259304576378184232200332.html) some Verizon/CDMA models of the iPad 2 because of a manufacturing glitch that caused some of the devices to carry a duplicate identification number, causing issues with 3G service. Apple told the Wall Street Journal that the number of iPads affected was "extremely small".

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/ipad_3g_20110302.png

We have gotten several reports of iPads being suddenly "returned to shipper" by FedEx, with some even being pulled from the delivery truck on the way to their final destination.

News of the recall surfaced earlier today (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/10/apple-recalling-verizon-ipad-2-orders-in-transit/), with a number of reports from Apple's support forums mentioning iPads disappearing during shipping.

Article Link: Apple Stopping Sales Of Some Verizon iPads (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/10/apple-stopping-sales-of-some-verizon-ipads/)

Jun 10, 2011, 07:18 PM
is it now Verizon/CDMA or is it 3G ... or did I miss that Verizon is now on 3G?

bobobenobi
Jun 10, 2011, 07:25 PM
Two front-page stories about the same thing?

Nermal
Jun 10, 2011, 07:27 PM
is it now Verizon/CDMA or is it 3G ... or did I miss that Verizon is now on 3G?

EVDO is 3G. Some people even consider 1xRTT to be 3G.

smileyborg
Jun 10, 2011, 07:36 PM
"Apple Stopping Sales Of Some Verizon iPads" is a sensationalist and misleading title that doesn't exactly match up with the real story...

Cheffy Dave
Jun 10, 2011, 07:43 PM
EVDO is 3G. Some people even consider 1xRTT to be 3G.

Since, by my experience with FEDEX, I am AMAZED they have/ had the capability to do this, since they haven't a freaking clue where most of their packages are, and since 4 Apple orders over the years have gone from Orlando to JACKSONVILLE before disappearing forever, instead of ORLANDO to OCALA and out for delivery. My losses to Apple have been over 5K,and all replaced by Apple. I still remain baffled as why Apple still deals with this Company:rolleyes:

inket
Jun 10, 2011, 07:45 PM
"Apple Stopping Sales Of Some Verizon iPads" is a sensationalist and misleading title that doesn't exactly match up with the real story...

I agree.

http://i52.tinypic.com/10hj2tt.png

blackburn
Jun 10, 2011, 07:51 PM
Nice one Apple! In here trying to operate a mobile equipment with duplicated imei would result in a nice ride in a police car. At least they are trying to contain the damage.

HelveticaNeue
Jun 10, 2011, 07:58 PM
Awesome! I can't wait for the media to totally blow this out of proportion and once again infect their embellishments into every news medium, so that all I hear this weekend from every anchor, columnist and radio personality is that Apple is recalling all iPad 2s and how this likely spells the beginning of the end for the company.

Maybe, if I'm lucky, we may even get some rival CEO publishing some snide comment as he tries to spin the situation to his advantage.

Small White Car
Jun 10, 2011, 08:00 PM

Apple - Yep, they got the right company.
Stopping - They took some off the shelves, so those iPads sure aren't 'going.'
Sales - That's what 'taking them of the shelves' is talking about.
Of - A preposition. No problems here.
Some - As in "not all."
Verizon - That's the right version, yeah.
iPads - ...and...yep. That looks like an iPad to me.

Well, all the words check out. I think you may have made a mistake or something because I don't see a problem here.

bowlerman625
Jun 10, 2011, 08:37 PM
oopsie

jonnysods
Jun 10, 2011, 08:42 PM
Verizon Fail.

cmaier
Jun 10, 2011, 09:50 PM
Some - As in "not all."

Well, all the words check out. I think you may have made a mistake or something because I don't see a problem here.

THey didn't stop "sales" of anything. They still sell them. They stopped some shipments, if by "stopped" we include "delayed."

And the cause of the problem is now revealed to be a simple glitch involving repeating IMEI numbers.

KTF
Jun 10, 2011, 11:03 PM
Verizon Fail.+1 Now Wach the Sensitives Verizon Fanboys :D

b166er
Jun 10, 2011, 11:41 PM
If anything this shows someone was doing their job and caught the problem before it became a bigger problem. Should those duplicate units have been checked before shipping? Sure. But someone was paying attention enough to realize what happened before 10,000 duplicates rolled off the line and that's a good thing. I'd rather have my iPad order delayed than get a unit with a duplicate number, resulting in more headaches and ultimately the return/exchange/wait for another iPad.

No matter how far we come, a person that is tired, hungry, emotional, etc, will still make mistakes from time to time while they're at work.

sangv
Jun 11, 2011, 12:21 AM
ya i got the news about it as well..
i think the issue is due to the connectivity issue and was seen in those which has been ordered from online stores..

i think they are recalling the ipad 2

macsrcool1234
Jun 11, 2011, 01:05 AM
Verizon Fail.

+1 Now Wach the Sensitives Verizon Fanboys :D

Reading comprehension fail. Apple makes the iPads, not Verizon.

gpat
Jun 11, 2011, 01:58 AM
being a fanboy of a phone company is IMHO one of the stupidest things one could do

MCP-511
Jun 11, 2011, 02:07 AM
Since, by my experience with FEDEX, I am AMAZED they have/ had the capability to do this, since they haven't a freaking clue where most of their packages are, and since 4 Apple orders over the years have gone from Orlando to JACKSONVILLE before disappearing forever, instead of ORLANDO to OCALA and out for delivery. My losses to Apple have been over 5K,and all replaced by Apple. I still remain baffled as why Apple still deals with this Company:rolleyes:

Apple sent me a pre-paid box to ship my iPod in for repair and Fedex left it outside on the sidewalk in plain sight in a rain storm no less. Didn't bother to get a signature. At least when UPS does that, they put it in a plastic bag! It was totally ruined. This was like just 2 weeks ago.

Baumi
Jun 11, 2011, 02:15 AM
Verizon Fail.

CDMA Fail, if anything. Not saying that GSM is inherently better or worse, but if I understand the news correctly, this particular issue could not crop up in devices relying on SIM cards.

itickings
Jun 11, 2011, 04:11 AM
CDMA Fail, if anything. Not saying that GSM is inherently better or worse, but if I understand the news correctly, this particular issue could not crop up in devices relying on SIM cards.

Well, that depends entirely on your definition of "this particular issue". A GSM device could suffer from the equivalent issue of duplicated IMEI numbers, which wouldn't be good either and would require a recall just as well.

This is not "CDMA fail", it is "Apple fail".

johneaston
Jun 11, 2011, 04:50 AM
We have gotten...

Macrumors' article writing is going seriously downhill.

mentalward
Jun 11, 2011, 06:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just converted my family plan to Verizon within the past couple months and ran into this issue (non-Apple handset). Brand new phone, but I get halfway through the activation and it fails because it has the same IMEI as another phone that's activated somewhere else. It took a week and a another new phone to get things straightened out. Kind of an interesting coincidence that this is happening to Apple now too, and I wonder who's fault this actually is. Does Verizon supply blocks of IMEIs to Apple for use in manufacturing? Regardless, I think that Apple did exactly the right thing given the circumstances.

pvmacguy
Jun 11, 2011, 06:15 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

We have gotten...

Agreed..! Same with Engadget, they are starting to get a snide ass-holey tone and misleading incorrect information.

jabbawok
Jun 11, 2011, 07:14 AM
And that is why proper networks use a SIM. Stupid CDMA.

the8thark
Jun 11, 2011, 07:58 AM
I 2nd this post. Mac Rumors you need to fix this.
Apple is not 'recalling' them, the Chinese manufacturer is, or apple is rejecting them. Big difference. Recalls are a serious matter

MacFlorida
Jun 11, 2011, 08:07 AM
If true, one of the consequences given is the following...

...Verizon iPad 2s that have had cellular service activated to be unable to bring up account information for viewing and editing.

This is surprising, as this issue has existed since day 1 of the Verizon iPad.
I personally could not view my Verizon account on the ipad since day 1.
My Verizon ipad would just not connect reliably, and I returned it for AT&T. Everyone I know is returning their Verizon ipads as well due to connection issues.
Apple has been aware of this for a long time. I guess this must have been a tough bug to trace.

Indirectly, this highlights what has already been reported about Verizon customer service.

As been reported before, if you lose you Verizon ipad, or have it stolen, and call Verizon customer support, they have no idea how to stop your automatic payments to the iPad. (for CDMA service)
If you spend a few days like I did, and finally get someone higher up who kind of knows what you are asking, you will finally get there.

The ONLY way for Verizon to find you account is thru the IMEI number.
They cannot stop your auto payments any other way.

So, Lost, broken, returned ipad owners are screwed.

So, what this article tells me is that Verizonís database did not pick up duplicate IMEI numbers for a long time, if at all.
Verizon has some serious issues. I wouldnít be surprised if the Verizon shipping isnít expanded and delayed for a longer time. From what I see at two local stores, Verizon ipads are being returned at a large rate.

Vegasman
Jun 11, 2011, 08:23 AM
I 2nd this post. Mac Rumors you need to fix this.
Apple is not 'recalling' them, the Chinese manufacturer is, or apple is rejecting them. Big difference. Recalls are a serious matter

So Ford buys airbags from XYZ and XYZ has a problem with the airbags and the airbags need to be recalled. Who does the recalling for the vehicles with the problematic airbags?

"In the latest news, Ford is rejecting cars where XYZ has supplied faulty airbags" :D

NinjaHERO
Jun 11, 2011, 09:24 AM
Some - As in "not all."

LOL. Well done.

toddybody
Jun 11, 2011, 09:43 AM
No biggie...glad they're addressing it ASAP.

macsrcool1234
Jun 11, 2011, 09:48 AM

You're obviously clueless.

The MEID is stored on the device and cannot be changed (CDMA or GSM). If this happened with AT&T, the devices would still require replacement.

applefan69
Jun 11, 2011, 10:50 AM

Agreed, I dont even have anything to say about the topic. I just think it needs to be noted that I used to respect this website to be a reliable source of well-written, informative, and interesting articles. Now it just seems like we get blurbs about stuff other websites report on. Then on slow days we get fed a duplicate story. =/

SteveLV702
Jun 11, 2011, 10:59 AM
If true, one of the consequences given is the following...

...Verizon iPad 2s that have had cellular service activated to be unable to bring up account information for viewing and editing.

This is surprising, as this issue has existed since day 1 of the Verizon iPad.
I personally could not view my Verizon account on the ipad since day 1.
My Verizon ipad would just not connect reliably, and I returned it for AT&T. Everyone I know is returning their Verizon ipads as well due to connection issues.
Apple has been aware of this for a long time. I guess this must have been a tough bug to trace.

Indirectly, this highlights what has already been reported about Verizon customer service.

As been reported before, if you lose you Verizon ipad, or have it stolen, and call Verizon customer support, they have no idea how to stop your automatic payments to the iPad. (for CDMA service)
If you spend a few days like I did, and finally get someone higher up who kind of knows what you are asking, you will finally get there.

The ONLY way for Verizon to find you account is thru the IMEI number.
They cannot stop your auto payments any other way.

So, Lost, broken, returned ipad owners are screwed.

So, what this article tells me is that Verizonís database did not pick up duplicate IMEI numbers for a long time, if at all.
Verizon has some serious issues. I wouldnít be surprised if the Verizon shipping isnít expanded and delayed for a longer time. From what I see at two local stores, Verizon ipads are being returned at a large rate.

interesting cause I am able to pull up my account information just fine on my 64GB iPad 2 Verizon 3G and the one time I had to take it in to get replaced (right after I got it because of dead pixels and backlight shinning through) they were easily able to pull up my info and cancel it and put on the new iPad....

cvaldes
Jun 11, 2011, 12:05 PM
being a fanboy of a phone company is IMHO one of the stupidest things one could do
Absolutely.

You must have really low expectations if you are happy with your mobile provider, at least here in America.

In every single customer satisfaction survey, the big four national carriers all suck. Verizon is a 37" giant in a land of three-foot midgets. None of them can be proud of their ratings.

If you want to talk about good cellular providers, you basically have to move the discussion outside of North America.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would defend AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile USA, or Sprint.

Smoothie
Jun 11, 2011, 12:13 PM
I bought a Verizon model iPad 2 a few days ago. I didn't bother to register it with Apple when I started using it and I didn't sign up for a data plan with Verizon. When I read about this problem yesterday, I registered the iPad hoping that entering the S/N would spit back some sort of notice or email from Apple if my unit had the problem. When the registration process went smoothly, I decided to activate a data plan with Verizon to see if that would work. That worked just fine.

I wanted to keep my iPad because it has minimal backlight bleed, it has no dead or stuck pixels, and it connects reliably to my wireless router -- issues that are the subject of lengthy forum threads. So, if another iPad 2 has my MEID, I've claimed it! :)

maclaptop
Jun 11, 2011, 12:20 PM

So, who cares?

Besides that occurs every day in a huge number of stories about all kinds of things.

It's only a problem when it's the almighty Apple, the company that is worshiped by fervent mac addicts. They love to cry and whine.

interrobang
Jun 11, 2011, 02:41 PM

Yes, I'm glad nobody has ever cloned a SIM card. ;)

Thunderhawks
Jun 11, 2011, 04:54 PM
So, who cares?

Besides that occurs every day in a huge number of stories about all kinds of things.

$#@T happens all the time as long as humans are involved!

Just got a recall notice from Honda that my CRV airbag switch may malfunction and metal pieces flying out might kill me.

So, duplicate ipad2 numbers intercepted by Apple are an issue?

Can you hear me now?

caspersoong
Jun 11, 2011, 07:54 PM
Apple will definitely get some of their people to control Verizon from making mistakes like this.

SG1-1
Jun 11, 2011, 08:09 PM
Nice one Apple! In here trying to operate a mobile equipment with duplicated imei would result in a nice ride in a police car. At least they are trying to contain the damage.

Funny how people blame Apple when the truth is, all this is done by Foxconn in china, I like to see a report that was investigated correctly putting blame on the manufacture that Apple uses since it was them that caused this problem. (Foxconn Messed up, Apple takes the blame and story gets spun to get page clicks".

And you are correct about the damage, but Foxconn needs to take the blame for this screw up, not Apple directly but indirectly , but in turn Apple are the ones that need to Address the issue to the press. But it does make news and page clicks for those that write up and spin it they way they want. Oh well.

markie
Jun 11, 2011, 10:38 PM
A duplicate IMEI won't result in a "ride in a police car" to whoever said that. BTW, these are MEIDs, not IMEIs. Though IMEI and MEID are compatible so that's a technicality...

In CDMA, duplicate MEIDs just won't work after the first one.

In GSM... surprise surprise... duplicate IMEIs would go unnoticed in the US. There are tons of Chinese phones that all have the exact same IMEI. No problem except in the few countries that require governments to verify and track IMEIs to manage counterfeit/stolen goods. And even then, no one will get a ride in a police car for a Chinese phone. It just won't work.

blahblah100
Jun 12, 2011, 08:02 AM

Being a fanboy of any company is one of the stupidest things one could do.

kdarling
Jun 12, 2011, 08:03 AM
In GSM... surprise surprise... duplicate IMEIs would go unnoticed in the US.

An interesting thing in the USA is that AT&T fairly often pings the devices people are using, to get the IMEI, so they can notice if someone is using a device that requires a more expensive data plan.

Hence you wouldn't want a GSM dumbphone that had cloned a smartphone's IMEI !

KTF
Jun 13, 2011, 01:21 AM
Reading comprehension fail. Apple makes the iPads, not Verizon. Domino's Pizza Makes The iPads !!

KTF
Jun 13, 2011, 01:25 AM
being a fanboy of a phone company is IMHO one of the stupidest things one could do Agree With You On This !00%

insider-man
Jun 13, 2011, 08:55 AM
Funny how people blame Apple when the truth is, all this is done by Foxconn in china, I like to see a report that was investigated correctly putting blame on the manufacture that Apple uses since it was them that caused this problem. (Foxconn Messed up, Apple takes the blame and story gets spun to get page clicks".

And you are correct about the damage, but Foxconn needs to take the blame for this screw up, not Apple directly but indirectly , but in turn Apple are the ones that need to Address the issue to the press. But it does make news and page clicks for those that write up and spin it they way they want. Oh well.

This is absolutely nothing to do with Foxconn, they assemble stuff.

All testing and setup of devices is done by Apple systems, the workers plug stuff in when told and the systems do the rest.

:apple:

Foobus
Jun 13, 2011, 09:33 AM
I had one of these Verizon units that was on the local UPS truck before being pulled back. While I understand that they couldn't let these reach the wild, I am a bit miffed that to this moment Apple hasn't contacted me at all about the issue. My tracking info says that it's on it's way back to Elk Grove, and on my AppleStore account I can see an unexplained new "free" iPad2 has been ordered for me (at the back of the line) with now a full 6 weeks from original order to delivery. But Apple hasn't contacted me at all. Not an email, a note, a call or an official announcement of why this happened and what to expect. If I was a new Apple customer who didn't frequent rumors sites I'd be clueless why I was being treated this way, and wouldn't likely be buying from them again.

The only communication that I have received from Apple was an email Sunday congratulating me on my new iPad (that I don't have and won't for a month) and outlining the great features....

Yes, I know I can call customer service, complain and get $50 or some accessories for free, (and I will be shortly) but I shouldn't have to complain to get at least a cursory email explaining that there is an issue with my order for an $800 item that was supposed to be delivered last Thursday. This is just bad customer service, and certainly could have been handled better.

tseitz89
Jun 19, 2011, 04:06 PM
The iPad I got my dad for Fathers Day is a victim of this. We ordered 2 using AMEX points and one was returned to sender but not the other for some reason, even though it is affected. I called Verizon today to get it setup and they said the MEID number for this iPad is for a 64GB but the in truth I have a 32GB. Am I the only one to have one of these in the wild?