PDA

View Full Version : How to bring store online?

SAdProZ
Mar 23, 2005, 07:04 PM
My mother owns a store and would like to bring it online. What advice do you guys have in terms of software, site development, etc.?

For instance, we would like an online store, with credit card purchasing and shopping cart. We would like it to be secure. :)

Also:
Is there a way to database all the items, both online and off, and have them constantly sync. If my mother sells every item at the store, the stock indication online would read SOLD OUT and save someone from purchasing an item already sold.

Can this be done for a small store? Cheap? Preferably with Macs or PCs?
It would be cool if it could be done with Macs cause then I could talk my mom into getting a iBook (and i wouldnt have to fix her pc every two minutes) :p

angelneo
Mar 23, 2005, 08:04 PM
If you are looking for a inexpensive method, some web hosting company offers ready-made shopping cart functionality. Web control management like cpanel also have shopping cart add-ons available as well.

ipacmm
Apr 4, 2005, 06:24 PM
Check out eShox, http://www.eshox.com/

ChicoWeb
Apr 4, 2005, 08:53 PM
OSCommerce is the most commonly used open source shopping cart and you can download it for free. I've done a few OScommerce installs and skinning and it is the most straightforward in my eyes. If you are going to accept credit cards you need to look into SSL, merchant account, and a gateway. I wouldn't recommend you starting your first site off with an OScemmerce install and CC processor :)