Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkyfresh69

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
Apple have released a minor update to DP4 installer.
I’ve now got it working on my MBP 11.

To do this I ran the new updated app from a SL partition and selected a clean partition for the installer to use.
(To get the new app, trash your existing dp4 app and the app store will then let you download the newver version)

The installer reboots and then runs fine (it didn’t before at all) and most importantly once the install has finished it doesn’t hang on reboot and no manual deletion of the kexts for the Wi-Fi is needed.

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Great to hear it is fixed.
So, if you download the full DP4 at App Store, you get a working Lion?

funkyfresh69

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
I have a 17” MBP ’11

The build number is 11A480e, original dp4 build number is 11A480b

I ran the dp4.app from within SL and target a new empty partition. I did try extracting the instalesd.dmg to a USB disk, and the installer boots the system. But then i get some error about the installation failing, straightway.

So, the only way i could get DP4 to install was to run the app from SL..

alexryans

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
Not sure what the crack is here but I've been running the third update to DP2 (build number 11A444d) as I haven't been able to update to DP3 or 4 on my 2011 MBP.

Now, all of a sudden, there's a FOURTH update to DP2 that's just appeared in my SU panel. Not sure what it does or where it's come from, but I'm just installing it now. Hopefully it'll fix all the problems us 2011 MBP owners have been having and we'll be able to smoothly upgrade to the newer previews.

Anyone else found this new update to DP2?

EDIT:
Installing now - the "Moving items into place" section no longer displays 'less than a minute to go' as it did witht he other DP2 updates when they got stuck. The progress bar is progressing nicely and at a steady pace, rather than hanging for ages. I'm hoping for positive things!

EDIT 2:
Well after a smooth install with no waiting around while items are moved into place, it seems like it was all for nothing - gears still stick after booting.

EDIT 3:
Looks like the new update is DP3 - it carries the exact same build number as the previously released DP3 build, however, the WiFi issue is still present. I've had to Target Disk into my MBP, remove the IO80211Family.kext and then re-install it after booting.
The new boot screen is present, as is all the other stuff that was introduced in DP3. Clearly, Apple are now starting to fix things ahead of launch.

Last edited:

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Worth noting:
This 11A480e has also faster graphics (Quartz) and is now on par with SL.

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Is there supposed to be some global issue with the '11 MBPs? I have 11A480b and it's running fine on my 13".

Not sure but guess not. Mainly the latest MBP 15" and 17" seems to have issues with installing (Wifi problems)
But I discovered a hugh graphic speed improvement too. So between 11A480b and 11A480e there are other fixes/improvements made.

The only two things that do not seems to work correct are:
- My keyboard backlight is always on (no matter what I set in the preferences)
- The corrupted boot screen

But I am very very glad the graphics speedup is already fixed! That was a big let down for me.

LuMe96

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
Hi,
nice to hear they got it working.

I'm running the 480b version on my MacBook Pro 2011 13" but with the IO80211Family.kext of SL which works but with glitches. As I 'don't really want to go back to SL to completely reinstall Lion only to get that one file, could someone post the IO80211Family.kext of that last version 11a480e please?

Thanks a lot.
Bye,
Lutz

funkyfresh69

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
Is there supposed to be some global issue with the '11 MBPs? I have 11A480b and it's running fine on my 13".

there is a different wi-fi chipset used on some European models (compared with models sold in US). thats why its not apparently affecting all MBP '11 models, and i guess maybe why Apple have been slower to fix the issues..

delwynnpawn

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Canada
Been worried about this for a while now, does anybody know what is causing the glitchy boot up screen? or maybe how to fix it? i'm getting real anxious about that stuff damaging something in my machine... any help would be appreciated thanks! :confused:

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Been worried about this for a while now, does anybody know what is causing the glitchy boot up screen? or maybe how to fix it? i'm getting real anxious about that stuff damaging something in my machine... any help would be appreciated thanks! :confused:

No worries. It will most certainly not damage your hardware. Just some graphic driver glitch.
On the Apple devs forum it is mentioned several times, so Apple is aware of this.

delwynnpawn

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Canada
No worries. It will most certainly not damage your hardware. Just some graphic driver glitch.
On the Apple devs forum it is mentioned several times, so Apple is aware of this.

Well, thanks for your reply. It seems that I have to deal with this till the GM arrives. Enjoying everything except the boot screen though. It's weird cause I never experienced a hang on first reboot during installation nor an issue with the wi-fi, only this screen. And I'm quite sure I encountered it the first the on the first reboot during installation. Thanks again for the help anyways! :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.