Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bendy Walker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Manchester, UK
I use playlists quite extensively in iTunes - I have a number of Smart Playlists set up, and I was wondering if you guys think that playlist data will be synchronised with iCloud? Playlists like 'Recently Played and Recently Added' are some of my most used playlists, and it'd be a shame to see their functionality reduced if their data isn't synced with the cloud.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
I don't know if iCloud will sync playlists (kind of doubt it). I suspect WiFi Sync will, but I know that doesn't help people who aren't near their base computer.

SamTheeGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
United Kingdom
I was thinking about the same thing today, i really hope so they include Playlist with wireless sync that would be sweet :)

no more cables no more hassle :p

macfro8

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
honestly if iCloud doesn't sync playlists I don't really understand the point. Even Amazon cloud allows you to sync playlists. Why would I want just a dump of 5,000 songs to update automatically on my iPad/iPhone or whatever I am using. If this is not a feature, I think this is a HUGE piece that they are missing out on. And does not solve the problem of me having to keep syncing my iPod etc to my main computer to update playlists all the time, which is the entire point of iCloud to begin with. To me that doesn't "Just Work" as Jobs kept saying.

Mr. C.

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
honestly if iCloud doesn't sync playlists I don't really understand the point. Even Amazon cloud allows you to sync playlists. Why would I want just a dump of 5,000 songs to update automatically on my iPad/iPhone or whatever I am using. If this is not a feature, I think this is a HUGE piece that they are missing out on. And does not solve the problem of me having to keep syncing my iPod etc to my main computer to update playlists all the time, which is the entire point of iCloud to begin with. To me that doesn't "Just Work" as Jobs kept saying.

Totally agree. If there is no playlist/album(photos) etc. sync in iCloud, it's not really worth it for me.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
iTunes Match deleted a large set of playlists I had, and removed a few other playlists out of my folder hierarchy I had set up in iTunes. All my smart playlists have effectively been deleted.

Also, if you prefer to look at playlists in a certain order (ordered by artists or whatever), iTunes match will reset all this.

This happened when I linked iTunes Match to my iOS device.

I don't think this service is fully baked yet. I'm on hold with Apple Support getting a refund..

Bendy Walker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Manchester, UK
iTunes Match deleted a large set of playlists I had, and removed a few other playlists out of my folder hierarchy I had set up in iTunes. All my smart playlists have effectively been deleted.

Also, if you prefer to look at playlists in a certain order (ordered by artists or whatever), iTunes match will reset all this.

This happened when I linked iTunes Match to my iOS device.

I don't think this service is fully baked yet. I'm on hold with Apple Support getting a refund..

You're getting a refund because there aren't playlists? I mean... even without playlists, I think iTunes Match is awesome, and a definite step in the right direction. It'll get better over time, and I'm sure playlist integration is coming. I wish the service was out over in the UK.

Are you sure you can't still sync playlists from iTunes to your iPhone even if music is managed from the cloud with iTunes Match?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.