Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calebsurface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
I have an XServe G5 that I am trying to fresh install 10.5 server on remotely. The problem is I can't get to the boot menu to choose a different startup disk. To top things off, I accidentally put it in network startup mode, and don't know how to get it out. I have tried holding ALT on my keyboard (Windows) at different times during the startup, but no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to take me to the boot menu. When do I hold ALT? What am I doing wrong?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
What do you exactly do to install OS remotely?

If you have another Mac, you can install OS on this Xserve using target disk mode.

tattar8

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
You have to use the buttons on the XServe's front panel. Check a copy of the manual from Apple's site.

reukiodo

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2013
Earth
https://images.apple.com/server/docs/Xserve_User_Guide12202006.pdf#G6.1007604 to Apple's doc.

https://www.zoology.ubc.ca/~richard/XServe.html has a good writeup:
  1. With the power button off, hold in the system identifier button while you press the on/standby button
  2. Continue holding the system identifier button until the top row of blue lights blinks sequentially.
  3. Release the system identifier button. The rightmost light in the bottom row turns on. Press the system identification button to light the next light in the bottom row, moving from right to left. Press the button again to change lights.
    The lights in the bottom row indicate (from right to left):
    • Light 1 (far right): Start up from a system disk in the optical drive (on a system with an optical drive). This also ejects any disc already in the optical drive.
    • Light 2: Start up from a network server (NetBoot)
    • Light 3: Start up from the internal drive (leftmost drive if more than one).
    • Light 4: Bypass the current startup disk and startup from any other available startup disk.
    • Light 5: Begin target disk mode (all drives, including optical drive, will show up)
    • Light 6: Restore the systems default setting (reset NVRAM)
    • Light 7: Enter Open Firmware (via the serial port if no monitor and keyboard are connected.
  4. When the light for the action you want is on, hold in the system identifier button for at least 2 seconds, until all the lights in the top row are on.
  5. Release the button

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.