PDA

View Full Version : Just a CRAZY question???

Metatron
Mar 23, 2005, 10:54 PM
I have an old icebook 500MHZ. The thing is getting up in years now and I am going to order a powerbook to replace it. But I want to use my old iBook for some weird projects.

In particular...I want to use the LCD screen as a monitor for viewing anything I connect to it, rather it is another computer, a video picture frame, etc.

I have read how to make it into a picture frame...so please don't point me towards it. I really want to somehow connect all the wires to a VGA connector and a powercable so I can use it on anything my heart disires. I have googled this thing until my fingers hurt from tying. Does anyone know how to do it...is it even possible? Surly someone out there has been able to salvage the old LCD screens for do-it-yourself projects.

Cybernanga
Mar 24, 2005, 12:00 AM
VGA is analogue. Laptop LCD's are digital. There is no correlation between VGA and LCD they are two totally different beasts and LCD's will only accept a correct digital input.

The standard for this input for most LCD's is presently - Low voltage differential signaling (LVDS). In fact the thinner cable coming out of your LCD is referred to as a LVDS cable.

It is possible, but in order to get the LCD to run off a standard VGA or standard digital video card, a converter must be bought. The converters cost about $250+. Its often cheaper just to buy a flat panel display. In either case, ebay is your friend.

Further Reading at: http://www.geocities.com/p9019/lcdpanel