PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 12". Can't install OS X. HD Passed Verification. Bad RAM?

Flyin Ryan
Jun 11, 2011, 06:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a 12" PowerBook 1.5ghz. Maxed out RAM. I was running leopard on it and it began freezing, spinning beach ball. I assumed the HD was bad. I hooked it up to my iMac in target disk mode and erased the HD and ran disc verify which it passed. I attempted to install OS X Tiger but received the message "there was an error...please restart". Does it sound like the RAM could be bad?

Intell
Jun 11, 2011, 06:34 PM
I think your hard drive is dying. Even if the computer says its "fine" it may still be dying. Make sure you backup your data in case it does die on you.

bizzle
Jun 11, 2011, 07:48 PM
I think your hard drive is dying. Even if the computer says its "fine" it may still be dying. Make sure you backup your data in case it does die on you.

How about a real log. Open the installer log under Window and change the option to all messages.

burnout8488
Jun 12, 2011, 12:15 AM
Yeah you're going to need to run some real diagnostics on it. The spinning beach ball could have been a number of problems, including the hard drive, but its good to have a definitive answer.