PDA

View Full Version : iOS Speech Recognition Settings Confirm Nuance-Apple Partnership

MacRumors
Jun 11, 2011, 09:15 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/11/ios-speech-recognition-settings-confirm-nuance-apple-partnership/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/nuance1.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/nuance1.jpg)
A couple of screenshots posted on Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/chronicwire) by @ChronicWire (http://twitter.com/#!/chronicwire) reveals hidden Nuance preferences found in the latest internal iOS builds that confirms that Apple has been actively working on building in speech recognition into iOS.

Rumors of a Nuance-Apple partnership had been heavy (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/06/apple-negotiating-deal-with-nuance-for-speech-recognition-in-ios-5/) in the weeks prior to WWDC, though no announcements were made during the keynote. Later, comments (http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/06/apple-nuance-wwdc-keynote/) by Robert Scoble indicated that the deals were simply not completed in time for WWDC but were still in the works:I was told weeks ago by my source (same one who told me Twitter would be integrated deeply into the OS) that Siri wouldn't be done in time. Maybe for this fall's release of iPhone 5? After all, they need to have some fun things to demo for us in August, no?The source of the screenshots (@Chronic (http://twitter.com/#!/chronic)) has been known to have legitimate sources in the past. So, it seems certain that Apple is actively working on bringing Nuance speech recognition into iOS, perhaps as early as iOS 5 this fall.

Article Link: iOS Speech Recognition Settings Confirm Nuance-Apple Partnership (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/11/ios-speech-recognition-settings-confirm-nuance-apple-partnership/)

jayhawk11
Jun 11, 2011, 09:21 PM
I'm still waiting to see someone make a killer use case for Nuance+Siri. If it's just going to be Voice Control on steroids I'm not interested.

koobcamuk
Jun 11, 2011, 09:22 PM
Looks pretty cool, and would be interesting to try out.

What is the "spoof softbank" thing about?! As a Softbank user, this is rather interesting!

MCIowaRulz
Jun 11, 2011, 09:22 PM
Bring the speech technology to Mac OS X Lion (or 10.8), So I can use it to dictate papers in the Fall of 2012 Apple!
Although I do hope that this means for IOS 5 I can dictate notes on the go.

utwarreng
Jun 11, 2011, 09:24 PM
I'm still waiting to see someone make a killer use case for Nuance+Siri. If it's just going to be Voice Control on steroids I'm not interested.

Speech to text to be able to reply to a text message hands-free while driving would be something that I would use all of the time.

Kentochan
Jun 11, 2011, 09:34 PM
That's awesome! Makes iOS 5 even more desirable if you ask me!

lsvtecjohn3
Jun 11, 2011, 09:34 PM
I just want Speech to text intergrated into iOS and I'll be happy

eNcrypTioN
Jun 11, 2011, 09:42 PM
looks promising...

tjstalcup
Jun 11, 2011, 09:44 PM
Did anyone else notice the "Lock Rotation" icon in the bar at the top? Did iOS5 bring lock screen rotation to iPhone as well?

Vol7ron
Jun 11, 2011, 09:49 PM
Did anyone else notice the "Lock Rotation" icon in the bar at the top? Did iOS5 bring lock screen rotation to iPhone as well?

Lock Rotation has been in iOS since at least 4.1 or 4.2.....can't exactly remember. But is has been in the OS. I use it all the time...

jacklink01
Jun 11, 2011, 09:50 PM

Uhm.. 4.0 brought that :/ Double-tap the home button, swipe to the left, and hit the lock icon.

LegendKillerUK
Jun 11, 2011, 09:52 PM
Lock Rotation has been in iOS since at least 4.1 or 4.2.....can't exactly remember. But is has been in the OS. I use it all the time...

It debuted in 4.0.

bmms8
Jun 11, 2011, 09:53 PM
Uhm.. 4.0 brought that :/ Double-tap the home button, swipe to the left, and hit the lock icon.

Swipe to the right :p

oliversl
Jun 11, 2011, 09:59 PM
Now he says new MBA this wednesday
http://twitter.com/#!/chronicwire/status/79740684118134785

boss.king
Jun 11, 2011, 10:01 PM
Something tells me this will be a iPhone 5 exclusive feature

I think this will be similar to Androids voice commands, where you can open apps, write text messages, calender dates all with voice. I'd use that quite a bit if it worked well, and for people driving it would be awesome.

appleguy123
Jun 11, 2011, 10:06 PM
What does that mean 'an internal build'? How did he get it? How do we know it's real?

macnews
Jun 11, 2011, 10:16 PM
What does that mean 'an internal build'? How did he get it? How do we know it's real?

Says to be a reliable source. Makes me wonder though how long he will have access. This build isn't widely available so think Apple or someone at Apple could track it down.

kiljoy616
Jun 11, 2011, 10:17 PM

Then don't use it. I will take anything that makes it easier for me.:)

DaGreat01
Jun 11, 2011, 10:23 PM
I can't wait for the day that I can write an essay just by speaking what I want to write. :eek:

All this speech recognition should be in Lion as well.

rockosmodurnlif
Jun 11, 2011, 10:27 PM
Speech to text to be able to reply to a text message hands-free while driving would be something that I would use all of the time.
You mean like a phone call?

FelixDerKater
Jun 11, 2011, 10:59 PM
Speech recognition within iOS will be a very welcome addition, but, after about 15 years of fiddling with various speech recognition programs, I have yet to get a decent accuracy rate with one.

boss.king
Jun 11, 2011, 11:16 PM
You mean like a phone call?

No, he means speech to text, like dictation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN0C-b6rjQs like this

42streetsdown
Jun 11, 2011, 11:38 PM
i hope this gets integrated into that new reminders app. it'd be awesome to be able to say to your phone "remind me to pick up dinner when i leave work" and it would create a reminder with the whole geo fence thing.

appleguy123
Jun 12, 2011, 12:03 AM
No, he means speech to text, like dictation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN0C-b6rjQs like this

He's being sarcastic. If you are going to talk to your phone, why not just eliminate all the extra steps and actually make a phone call?

i hope this gets integrated into that new reminders app. it'd be awesome to be able to say to your phone "remind me to pick up dinner when i leave work" and it would create a reminder with the whole geo fence thing.

When I read about reminders in the live blog, I thought that it did this, and that that was what they used Siri for. I was upset to find that I was wrong.

Tarchin
Jun 12, 2011, 12:20 AM
they could've opened the kimono to Vlingo and had this months ago.

boss.king
Jun 12, 2011, 12:25 AM
He's being sarcastic. If you are going to talk to your phone, why not just eliminate all the extra steps and actually make a phone call?

Possible reasons:
1) You are on prepay/pay-as-you-go and don't want to spend money on a call
2) It's a simple yes/no question that doesn't warrant a phone call
3) The other person is in a noisy environment and cant hear you on a call
4) You just don't like calling

Also, speech to text would offer the ability to do so much more than just write messages, as I mentioned above.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be argumentative, these are genuine reasons. Also, I completely missed on the sarcasm

mrkramer
Jun 12, 2011, 12:30 AM

It could be useful, if you are driving, get a text and it can read it too you so you can respond without being unsafe. Also, you can't always call people, sometimes they don't answer and you know they never actually check voicemail so if you have something important a text is the best way, or someone could be somewhere where they can text but not answer the phone, like a meeting or somewhere where there is a lot of noise. So I can see this being useful in those situations, but outside of the car I don't see a lot of use for speech recognition. If you can dictate notes or documents it's one of those features that I see most people using once or twice to play around with it and then going back to normal ways of doing things.

Blakeco123
Jun 12, 2011, 12:54 AM
Swipe to the right :p

he was right its the left.

kockgunner
Jun 12, 2011, 01:07 AM

That is why you swipe to the right to get to the left.

Anyone found the legal info bit funny? It says to not turn it off unless you are authorized, yet it's off.

iphone X
Jun 12, 2011, 01:45 AM

you swipe to the right to get to the lock rotation button

swarmster
Jun 12, 2011, 02:08 AM

That will never happen, because it would require Apple store a location associated with "work". Then all the Apple-bashers would wet their pants, Congress would hold hearings, and the media would scream about Dictator Jobs and his Totalitarian Apple's evil and secret plans until the feature is removed.

Then Android will do it, with the added bonus of sending your work location, business name, satellite imagery, and internal building photos to advertisers and no one will care.

Oh well.

[/doom]

Xenc
Jun 12, 2011, 03:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This switch is not for you!

brijazz
Jun 12, 2011, 06:31 AM
Love the 2nd screenshot: This Setting Must Remain ON At All Times

....and it's switched off :cool:

jmnikricket
Jun 12, 2011, 07:43 AM
Speech recognition within iOS will be a very welcome addition, but, after about 15 years of fiddling with various speech recognition programs, I have yet to get a decent accuracy rate with one.

You're clearly just pronouncing it wrong ;)

The current voice commands are terrible though; any improvement would be welcomed. If I tell it to a play a song, the only thing I know will happen is it won't play the song I asked :(

Anthony La
Jun 12, 2011, 09:16 AM
Love the 2nd screenshot:

....and it's switched off :cool:
I wonder what happens if it's turned on.

RafaelT
Jun 12, 2011, 09:22 AM
This was the killer feature I was hoping for to really make iOS 5 have that wow factor. Let's hope they get it into the final.

Paulyboy
Jun 12, 2011, 11:05 AM
I fully expect to see this when IOS 5 launches but I'm not surprised it wasn't ready for the WWDC. Integrating speech recognition system wide must be pretty complicated stuff and all the rumors suggested their partnership with Nuance was only recently a done deal. They have 3-4 more months to work on it now though.

I'm physically disabled so this addition could be huge for me but admittedly I tend to only bother with voice recognition when I'm by myself. Still looking forward to it though.

However whatever happens I'm stuck with a 3GS for at least another year (I think) so I may not be able to even use it for awhile if it's iPhone 5 only.

-PN

gcoghill
Jun 12, 2011, 11:49 AM
Looks pretty cool, and would be interesting to try out.

What is the "spoof softbank" thing about?! As a Softbank user, this is rather interesting!

Yeah I'm curious as well. Also on the "Typology" and "Costly Capture" settings *what are those?

jimi78
Jun 12, 2011, 12:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well think about talking in a crowded room where background voices are. It will recognize your voice and possibly isolate it to make for a clearer call? Or even of your are whispering in a quiet room. Magnify your recognized voice for the receiver. I'm down for these if possible

-LikesMac-
Jun 12, 2011, 01:52 PM
How about this, anyone like THIS concept? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVRRMsmZ_Kg

jonnysods
Jun 12, 2011, 02:35 PM
Man the feature list just keeps rolling out on this!

I'm actually awaiting approval for my developer account so i can take a look at this thing for myself!

KingCrimson
Jun 12, 2011, 03:32 PM
The problem with VRS is that it's seemingly tuned towards the standard Midwestern American accent.

TonyC28
Jun 12, 2011, 03:36 PM
How do we know those screen shots are real? Does Apple always include jokes in their software?

Daijin
Jun 12, 2011, 09:01 PM
Another Softbank user here would like to know what Spoof Softbank does. And if it's possible to Un-Spoof Softbank so I can use my phone outside Japan without needing a bank loan.

gullySn0wCat
Jun 12, 2011, 10:18 PM
Maybe it lets you view "ketai-only" sites over the iPhone?

MikeELL
Jun 12, 2011, 10:20 PM

My personal theory is that if Apple were to make an "iPhone nano" it would be based on the current iPod nano size - think of a wristwatch phone. In order to include sms/iMessages and email on a device with such a small touchscreen - it would have to have kick-ass voice control and text-to-speech.

Killer-enough for ya?!? :rolleyes:

EDIT: and I forgot the best reason of all - can you imagine the safari reading list being able to read your favourite blogs to you while you're going for a ride or a run?

caspersoong
Jun 13, 2011, 02:14 AM
I hope not being announced doesn't mean it is only for the iPhone 5 or whatever it is called.

matthardwick
Jun 13, 2011, 05:22 AM
My sources are kind of confirming this also.

AppleDeviceUser
May 31, 2013, 12:06 PM
That will never happen, because it would require Apple store a location associated with "work". Then all the Apple-bashers would wet their pants, Congress would hold hearings, and the media would scream about Dictator Jobs and his Totalitarian Apple's evil and secret plans until the feature is removed.

Then Android will do it, with the added bonus of sending your work location, business name, satellite imagery, and internal building photos to advertisers and no one will care.

Oh well.

[/doom]
They did it and nothing like what you said happened.

Brother Esau
May 31, 2013, 06:55 PM
I can't wait for the day that I can write an essay just by speaking what I want to write. :eek:

All this speech recognition should be in Lion as well.

Yes and hopefully (sarcasm) the next iteration of the Hot Pocket generation can look forward to being a lifeless pile of magma that does not have to think or have to exert any physical effort what so ever in life.

I hear stuff like this and wonder what the actual end result for society is going to be.

It's not your comment per-see poster but it is my cumulative observation on how 'WE" as a "SOCIETY" have regressed and how shIIIty society as a whole has become due to down right laziness of the majority of individuals that our great nation is comprised of.