Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A couple of screenshots posted on Twitter by @ChronicWire reveals hidden Nuance preferences found in the latest internal iOS builds that confirms that Apple has been actively working on building in speech recognition into iOS.

Rumors of a Nuance-Apple partnership had been heavy in the weeks prior to WWDC, though no announcements were made during the keynote. Later, comments by Robert Scoble indicated that the deals were simply not completed in time for WWDC but were still in the works:
I was told weeks ago by my source (same one who told me Twitter would be integrated deeply into the OS) that Siri wouldn't be done in time. Maybe for this fall's release of iPhone 5? After all, they need to have some fun things to demo for us in August, no?
The source of the screenshots (@Chronic) has been known to have legitimate sources in the past. So, it seems certain that Apple is actively working on bringing Nuance speech recognition into iOS, perhaps as early as iOS 5 this fall.

Article Link: iOS Speech Recognition Settings Confirm Nuance-Apple Partnership

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I'm still waiting to see someone make a killer use case for Nuance+Siri. If it's just going to be Voice Control on steroids I'm not interested.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Looks pretty cool, and would be interesting to try out.

What is the "spoof softbank" thing about?! As a Softbank user, this is rather interesting!

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Bring the speech technology to Mac OS X Lion (or 10.8), So I can use it to dictate papers in the Fall of 2012 Apple!
Although I do hope that this means for IOS 5 I can dictate notes on the go.

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
I'm still waiting to see someone make a killer use case for Nuance+Siri. If it's just going to be Voice Control on steroids I'm not interested.

Speech to text to be able to reply to a text message hands-free while driving would be something that I would use all of the time.

tjstalcup

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
Did anyone else notice the "Lock Rotation" icon in the bar at the top? Did iOS5 bring lock screen rotation to iPhone as well?

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
Did anyone else notice the "Lock Rotation" icon in the bar at the top? Did iOS5 bring lock screen rotation to iPhone as well?

Lock Rotation has been in iOS since at least 4.1 or 4.2.....can't exactly remember. But is has been in the OS. I use it all the time...

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Something tells me this will be a iPhone 5 exclusive feature

I think this will be similar to Androids voice commands, where you can open apps, write text messages, calender dates all with voice. I'd use that quite a bit if it worked well, and for people driving it would be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
What does that mean 'an internal build'? How did he get it? How do we know it's real?

Says to be a reliable source. Makes me wonder though how long he will have access. This build isn't widely available so think Apple or someone at Apple could track it down.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Speech recognition within iOS will be a very welcome addition, but, after about 15 years of fiddling with various speech recognition programs, I have yet to get a decent accuracy rate with one.

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124
i hope this gets integrated into that new reminders app. it'd be awesome to be able to say to your phone "remind me to pick up dinner when i leave work" and it would create a reminder with the whole geo fence thing.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
No, he means speech to text, like dictation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN0C-b6rjQs like this

He's being sarcastic. If you are going to talk to your phone, why not just eliminate all the extra steps and actually make a phone call?

i hope this gets integrated into that new reminders app. it'd be awesome to be able to say to your phone "remind me to pick up dinner when i leave work" and it would create a reminder with the whole geo fence thing.

When I read about reminders in the live blog, I thought that it did this, and that that was what they used Siri for. I was upset to find that I was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.