PDA

View Full Version : New MacBook Air Due This Wednesday?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 11, 2011, 10:29 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/11/new-macbook-air-due-this-wednesday/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/mba-500x239.png

(http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/mba.png)
On the heels (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/11/ios-speech-recognition-settings-confirm-nuance-apple-partnership/) of the Nuance speech screenshots, @ChronicWire (http://twitter.com/#!/chronicwire) claims that Apple will be releasing the new MacBook Air this wednesday.

Apple has been said to be prepping the new Sandy Bridge/Thunderbolt MacBook Airs for June-July. The most recent reports (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/10/apple-reportedly-beginning-production-of-next-generation-macbook-air-models/) claim that Apple has been ramping up production ahead of the launch.

Article Link: New MacBook Air Due This Wednesday? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/11/new-macbook-air-due-this-wednesday/)

MultiMediaWill
Jun 11, 2011, 10:30 PM
It's true. St3v3 J0b5 messaged me.

WiiDSmoker
Jun 11, 2011, 10:34 PM
Means a Mini refresh is even sooner I would imagine.

DaGreat01
Jun 11, 2011, 10:36 PM
I don't think it's true. If anything, they would release them after lion is released so they are shipped with the latest OS X version.

peapody
Jun 11, 2011, 10:37 PM
Nice update. Those who really needed portability already got their MBAs and now need to sell them if they want the latest and greatest. Those who don't have MBAs appreciate but are not that excited about the announcement. At least that is how I am feelin..

Might be nice to pick up an older generation at a reduced price for the portability. Still a very solid machine.

fattire357
Jun 11, 2011, 10:38 PM
Who is chronic wire?

TSE
Jun 11, 2011, 10:38 PM
Realistic expectations:

11" MacBook Air
Core i5 ULV processor
4 GBs of RAM
64 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$999

11" MacBook air
Slightly faster Core i5 ULV processor
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1199

13" MacBook Air
Core i7 ULV Processor
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1299

13" MacBook Air
Slightly faster Core i7 ULV Processor
4 GBs of RAM
256GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1599

Besides that, everything else stays the same.

colonels1020
Jun 11, 2011, 10:39 PM
Who is chronic wire?

a reliable source....

michaelz
Jun 11, 2011, 10:41 PM
Can't wait! I think apple will give free upgrade to lion.

Supa_Fly
Jun 11, 2011, 10:43 PM
Realistic expectations:

11" MacBook Air
Core i5 ULV processor
4 GBs of RAM
64 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$999

11" MacBook air
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1199

13" MacBook Air
Core i7 ULV Processor
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1299

13" MacBook Air
4 GBs of RAM
256GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1599

Not bad.

But the pricing I'll bet will start with $1299 up to $1999.

The Mad Mule
Jun 11, 2011, 10:43 PM

From the front page: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/lion-up-to-date-buy-a-new-mac-now-get-lion-free-later/

arn
Jun 11, 2011, 10:45 PM
Who is chronic wire?

See: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/11/ios-speech-recognition-settings-confirm-nuance-apple-partnership/ for some details.

arn

PJMAN2952
Jun 11, 2011, 10:46 PM
Thank goodness I didn't get my Macbook yet. Hopefully this rumor is true because I am getting a Mac at the end of June and I was hoping to get a Macbook Air because of its display is amazing. Hope its strong as the Macbook Pro 13 inch.

laxic
Jun 11, 2011, 10:47 PM
I don't think it's true. If anything, they would release them after lion is released so they are shipped with the latest OS X version.

With Lion being a digital release, I think Apple can easily forgo waiting.

laxic
Jun 11, 2011, 10:50 PM
I very much hope that the new MacBook Air's can be Apple's new poster child for Macs, as in sport a new design. The original Air's brought the unibody design. Maybe these new ones will follow suit, though say with carbon fiber, as some old patents may suggest.

Unfortunately, with the recent Air's having undergone a design refresh with the latest model, this seems unlikely.

TMar
Jun 11, 2011, 10:52 PM
a reliable source....

Yeah and the moon is square...

shurcooL
Jun 11, 2011, 10:53 PM
I was hoping for that too. I wanted my first MacBook purchase to come with Lion pre-installed, and I'm getting one this summer... Just waiting for the right time.

It'd also be nice if they could put a Retina display in the next MacBook Airs along with Lion (aka HiDPI), but that definitely won't happen if Lion is coming later. I guess they might do it with the next MBP refreshes. ;/

jason221
Jun 11, 2011, 10:55 PM
It'd also be nice if they could put a Retina display in the next MacBook Airs along with Lion (aka HiDPI), but that definitely won't happen if Lion is coming later. I guess they might do it with the next MBP refreshes. ;/

I highly doubt it.

shanmugam
Jun 11, 2011, 10:59 PM
not tuesday? there is no federal holiday on Monday, right?

Scottsdale
Jun 11, 2011, 11:02 PM
Realistic expectations:

11" MacBook Air
Core i5 ULV processor
4 GBs of RAM
64 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$999

11" MacBook air
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1199

13" MacBook Air
Core i7 ULV Processor
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1299

13" MacBook Air
4 GBs of RAM
256GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1599

So you believe Apple will stop using Low Voltage CPUs in the 13" MBAs and start using Ultra Low Voltage CPUs? Why do you believe that? I am not saying it's not going to happen, but most of the rumors I have read that mention ULV I wonder if they just don't realize the 13" MBA uses LV not ULV CPUs. In addition, Apple has used high-end CPUs in the 13" MBA, so I definitely believe it will get a Core i7... I would speculate that the loss in graphics performance will be an even bigger and unacceptable hit on the ULV Sandy Bridge. It is bad enough on the LV, but that much of a loss in clock speed is going to definitely impact graphics a long ways from the 13" MBP with a standard voltage Core CPU.

Tilpots
Jun 11, 2011, 11:03 PM
Any chance these MBAs might include a touchscreen? And while I'm dreaming, dual boot OSX and iOS?

radiohead14
Jun 11, 2011, 11:04 PM
sounds a bit too soon if apple just started production, but i'd be happily surprised if they do get released wed... but i doubt it.

ECUpirate44
Jun 11, 2011, 11:05 PM
Any chance these MBAs might include a touchscreen? And while I'm dreaming, dual boot OSX and iOS?

I hope not to both.

leftywamumonkey
Jun 11, 2011, 11:06 PM
Realistic expectations:

11" MacBook Air
Core i5 ULV processor
4 GBs of RAM
64 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$999

11" MacBook air
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1199

13" MacBook Air
Core i7 ULV Processor
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1299

13" MacBook Air
4 GBs of RAM
256GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1599

I believe there is only one ULV i5, so there cannot be a "slightly faster" i5. Also, I think Apple will just choose to use i7s across the board, and if an i5 is used, I would think it would only be in the first entry level ($999 model).

BigBeast
Jun 11, 2011, 11:07 PM
Actually, I'm extremely happy with my 13" Ultimate MBA from last year- so much so that I find the news just to be "meh." I guess it's good news for those that don't already have a MBA? If I was in that position tho, I might try to save a few hundred and buy a 2010 refurb. They're really THAT good.

OatmealRocks

That doesn't make any sense. Holding back a product release just to match another is not sound business decision on so many levels. This especially when it has been stated the delivery method will be available online.

Tilpots
I hope not to both.

Why?

leftywamumonkey
Jun 11, 2011, 11:09 PM
Do you guys think 4GB standard will happen? I know if is possible, but if you believe it will happen, what is your supporting statement? I'm guessing Apple would save some money since they won't have to pay for 320Ms

shanmugam
Jun 11, 2011, 11:12 PM
Do you guys think 4GB standard will happen? I know if is possible, but if you believe it will happen, what is your supporting statement? I'm guessing Apple would save some money since they won't have to pay for 320Ms

it is not really because of cost difference between 2GB and 4GB, as usual apple wanted to upsell the higher priced model.

I do not think the RAM used in MBA are any special than other RAM used in other laptops MBP, MB and PC world.

This time apple send out a survey for MBA, so hopefully most of us asked for 4GB and let us see what happens :)

shanmugam
Jun 11, 2011, 11:15 PM
more refurbished models added right now ...

i might pick the old 13.3 MBA model for my brother once the new models announced!

what about Macbook and mac mini?

pavelbure
Jun 11, 2011, 11:20 PM
This is expected. They aren't going to leave the front page of their website void of new hardware for long.

OatmealRocks
Jun 11, 2011, 11:21 PM
it is not really because of cost difference between 2GB and 4GB, as usual apple wanted to upsell the higher priced model.

I do not think the RAM used in MBA are any special than other RAM used in other laptops MBP, MB and PC world.

This time apple send out a survey for MBA, so hopefully most of us asked for 4GB and let us see what happens :)

I do hope 4GB standard and 8 GB optional though.

_Matt
Jun 11, 2011, 11:22 PM
very nice info. let's hope it's true. a wednesday? so tim cook is running the company...

twoodcc
Jun 11, 2011, 11:25 PM
Great! They really need a processor upgrade

m0nkeyb0y
Jun 11, 2011, 11:28 PM
Yes yes yes! Cannot happen too soon!

lilo777
Jun 11, 2011, 11:28 PM

Why would real computer need a toy OS? There is absolutely nothing in iOS that OS/X can't do.

No. With relationship between Apple and their RAM supplier (Samsung) being what they are expect to pay premium for extra RAM.

gdeputy
Jun 11, 2011, 11:29 PM
I do admit it sounds nice, however I'll wait a year for Ivy Bridge.

shanmugam
Jun 11, 2011, 11:32 PM
I do hope 4GB standard and 8 GB optional though.

4GB yes, possible standard across the MBA line.

Do not think 8GB (one stick) is available or cheap enough.

KylePowers
Jun 11, 2011, 11:35 PM
9 to 5 Mac has a perhaps related story: http://www.9to5mac.com/71691/apple-updating-apple-store-displays-on-tuesday-night-new-product-launch-on-wednesday/

However, as an amateur speculator using baseless rumors from unconfirmed sources, I'd have to doubt the release of a new product on a Wednesday. Hardware refreshes have long been on Tuesdays, so why would Apple break that trend? Not that they couldn't, but there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to do so.

I instead, suspect Wednesday to be the announcement of Apple's Back to School sale. I imagine an overnight is required so that they can put up all the new promotion signs, extra information, etc etc. Follows are the start dates for the last 5 years:

2010 - May 25th (Tuesday)
2009 - May 27th (Wednesday)
2008 - June 3rd (Tuesday)
2007 - June 5th (Tuesday)
2006 - June 5th (Monday)

They're obviously quite late this year, so I suspect the arrival of the B2S promotion to happen sooner, rather than later. And just 2 years ago, they started it on a Wednesday. But will some hardware refreshes accompany the Back to School promotion? We'll see soon enough, I suppose.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't bank on 4GB standard. The upgrade to 4GB is such a huge profit collector for Apple, it's absurd. They charge $100 for what easily costs them ~$5... that's $95 on every upgrade, multiplied by hundreds of thousands of upgrades. Big money there.

dawnrazor
Jun 11, 2011, 11:35 PM
Seems too early, but we shall see. Apple have been very upfront about a free lion upgrade to anyone buying a mac between now and it's release. I thought they release to two around the same time, but hey. I'll be happy if they get released this Wednesday, as it means new 13" maxed out MBA for me and my wife get my maxed out 11".......

Tilpots
Jun 11, 2011, 11:39 PM
Why would real computer need a toy OS? There is absolutely nothing in iOS that OS/X can't do.

iOS isn't a toy. It's brought so many changes to Apple, Lion will take major cues from it. To be able to dualboot would make a MBA a truly revolutionary device instead of an evolutionary one. Doubt we'll see something like that this week, but it's time is coming.

htpw16
Jun 11, 2011, 11:39 PM
9 to 5 Mac has a perhaps related story: http://www.9to5mac.com/71691/apple-updating-apple-store-displays-on-tuesday-night-new-product-launch-on-wednesday/

However, as an amateur speculator using baseless rumors from unconfirmed sources, I'd have to doubt the release of a new product on a Wednesday. Hardware refreshes have long been on Tuesdays, so why would Apple break that trend? Not that they couldn't, but there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to do so.

I instead, suspect Wednesday to be the announcement of Apple's Back to School sale. I imagine an overnight is required so that they can put up all the new promotion signs, extra information, etc etc. Follows are the start dates for the last 5 years:

2010 - May 25th (Tuesday)
2009 - May 27th (Wednesday)
2008 - June 3rd (Tuesday)
2007 - June 5th (Tuesday)
2006 - June 5th (Monday)

They're obviously quite late this year, so I suspect the arrival of the B2S promotion to happen sooner, rather than later. And just 2 years ago, they started it on a Wednesday. But will some hardware refreshes accompany the Back to School promotion? We'll see soon enough, I suppose.

I agree. But Apple broke the trend of announcing the new iPhone at WWDC...who knows...

shanmugam
Jun 11, 2011, 11:40 PM
Seems too early, but we shall see. Apple have been very upfront about a free lion upgrade to anyone buying a mac between now and it's release. I thought they release to two around the same time, but hey. I'll be happy if they get released this Wednesday, as it means new 13" maxed out MBA for me and my wife get my maxed out 11".......

it is not too early, it is already 9 months old and the latest CPUs from intel is available at least couple of months ...

All the hardware upgrade should happen before Lion introduction, all happens this quarter.

and come september it is all about iPhone 5 and iPhone nano (and iPod touch discontinuation) ;)

michaelz
Jun 11, 2011, 11:42 PM

Why not?

shanmugam
Jun 11, 2011, 11:45 PM
Why not?

if I am not wrong current design of MBA has only one RAM slot (not really a slot, but soldered with only one stick of RAM either 2GB or 4GB)

unless there is a internal design change in MBA, 4GB is the max. or samsung needs to produce the latest 8GB one stick RAM

cassians
Jun 11, 2011, 11:48 PM
Why?

The point of iOS: iPhones/iPods/iPads

The point of OSX Lion: To take some of the features such as folders/app icons/multi-touch(really emphasizing on the trackpad) +345892 more from iOS and put them into OSX

They really are getting into the multi-touch part of iOS with the use of the trackpad/magic mouse.

There is no point put two OS's on one machine that will be mediocre at running both instead of running one AWESOME OS on a AWESOME machine that will do an AWESOME job at running that one OS.

cassians
Jun 11, 2011, 11:52 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/10/apple-reportedly-beginning-production-of-next-generation-macbook-air-models/

^^^ Does this have any merit now...?

gri
Jun 11, 2011, 11:53 PM
The big question for many will be - oh yes -
will there be a
b
a
c
k
l
i
t

keyboard?

Maybe BTO?

Gimme, gimme, gimme!

islanders
Jun 11, 2011, 11:53 PM
I don't see any PR advantage of releasing both the Air and Lion at the same time.

If Apple can make headlines with Air, Lion, and some phones, it does more than bundling the release together.

That being said I don't know how reliable rumor info is these days.

42streetsdown
Jun 11, 2011, 11:56 PM
Not bad.

i can't imagine they'd change the pricing scheme the processors aren't any more expensive

DCJ001
Jun 11, 2011, 11:58 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

But buyers of the new Airs will be able to download 10.7 for free.

42streetsdown
Jun 12, 2011, 12:01 AM
So you believe Apple will stop using Low Voltage CPUs in the 13" MBAs and start using Ultra Low Voltage CPUs? Why do you believe that? I am not saying it's not going to happen, but most of the rumors I have read that mention ULV I wonder if they just don't realize the 13" MBA uses LV not ULV CPUs. In addition, Apple has used high-end CPUs in the 13" MBA, so I definitely believe it will get a Core i7... I would speculate that the loss in graphics performance will be an even bigger and unacceptable hit on the ULV Sandy Bridge. It is bad enough on the LV, but that much of a loss in clock speed is going to definitely impact graphics a long ways from the 13" MBP with a standard voltage Core CPU.

my bet is the 13 inch will have 25 watt processors
11" MBA Base CPU:
Intel® Core™ i5-2537M Processor (Dual Core, 1.4 GHz(2.3GHz turbo) 3M Cache)

11" MBA BTO CPU:
Intel® Core™ i7-2657M Processor (Dual Core, 1.6 GHz(2.7GHz turbo) 4M Cache)

13" MBA Base CPU:
Intel® Core™ i7-2629M Processor (Dual Core, 2.1 GHz(3.0GHz turbo) 4M Cache)

13" MBA BTO CPU:
Intel® Core™ i7-2649M Processor (Dual Core, 2.13 GHz(3.2GHz turbo) 4M Cache)

DCJ001
Jun 12, 2011, 12:01 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You "think?"

The upgrade to 10.7 has already been approved.

michaelz
Jun 12, 2011, 12:08 AM
if I am not wrong current design of MBA has only one RAM slot (not really a slot, but soldered with only one stick of RAM either 2GB or 4GB)

unless there is a internal design change in MBA, 4GB is the max. or samsung needs to produce the latest 8GB one stick RAM

I alway have windows 7 running under vmware. 4GB works, but sometime no enough. I hope the new air will have more ram. Let hope apple will surprise us like they did before.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 12, 2011, 12:21 AM
You get to choose between a 400GB SSD for $1500 extra or the standard 150GB SSD with complimentary cloud.

I really can't wait for the MBA to completely replace the MBP. But the day isn;t here for those of us who need more storage capacity without the extra price.

But I think it is great Apple is pushing ahead with what's available. For many, the storage capacity of the air will be fine. (I know my wishes are not universal). And this should be a nice product for them.

iCrizzo
Jun 12, 2011, 12:22 AM

Steve Jobs said you don't want touch screens on laptops! ;)

42streetsdown
Jun 12, 2011, 12:24 AM
If this is true, hopefully the Back to School promo starts as well. Gotta wait for that before I buy.

littvay
Jun 12, 2011, 12:24 AM
I pray for keyboard backlighting (at least on the 13" and at least on the more expensive model - though that would seal the deal that I have to spend higher bucks. 4GB default RAM would be nice with 8GB upgrade.

CPU's will probably be 2537M (1.4GHz i5) for lower 11" and 2617M (1.5GHZ i7) for higher 11" (with 2657M 1.6GHZ as option). If we are lucky, it will be 2617M and 2657M, if we are luckier it will be a bump (i5: 1.7GHz and i7: 1.7GHz/1.8GHz - I don't know the numbers) above this that is not yet released though was rumored on this site. These eat 17W TDP (though include GPU so no extra there). This would mean they probably cannot bump battery life much on the 11" (6 hours max).

For the 13 inch I expect 2629M (2.1GHz) and 2649M (2.3GHz) which eats 25W. This also means they cannot bump battery life much (8 hours max) though they might surprise me and use 17W TDP here which means a nice bump in battery life at the expense of performance (10 hours). Apple would have a hard time explaining why the CPU clock went from 1.86GHz/2.13GHz to 1.4/1.5/1.6 (or even if they use the unreleased goods (1.7/1.8).

I would be fine with both outcomes.

Actually, I just looked up the TDP of the NVidia. 9400M was 12W. GT 320M is probably similar Core2Duo CPU in the 11" is 10W and the 13" is 17W. So TDP for CPU/GPU would go down 22W -> 17W on the 11" and 29W -> 25W on the 13" (assuming they use the 25W of which I am sure of reading this). Maybe the 6 and 8 hours will be 7 and 9. :)

My not overly unrealistic wish is a base 13" with backlit keyboard, 4GB RAM default (upgradable), 128GB SSD and any of the 25W TDP i7 CPU (only i7 is available now), 8+ hours of battery, Thunderbolt, of course. Then I only have to drop the cash on the cheaper model as I don't need more SSD, I can get my RAM upgrade on the base model, and the difference between the 2629M and 2649M CPU is just clock speed. It is not like the difference between the lower 13" Macbook Pro and the higher which is an i5 to i7 upgrade. The backlit keyboard is the stickler. There was one line of Macbook Pros (or aluminium Macbooks?) where the keyboard backlighting was upgrade option between the lower and higher models. PLEASE don't do that. That'll certainly force me to drop the extra cash.

If there is no keyboard backlighting, it is questionable if I will buy...

aery
Jun 12, 2011, 12:31 AM
Might be nice to pick up an older generation at a reduced price for the portability. Still a very solid machine.

That's what I'm thinking too :D

42streetsdown
Jun 12, 2011, 12:33 AM
I pray for keyboard backlighting (at least on the 13" and at least on the more expensive model - though that would seal the deal that I have to spend higher bucks. 4GB default RAM would be nice with 8GB upgrade.

CPU's will probably be 2537M (1.4GHz i5) for lower 11" and 2617M (1.5GHZ i7) for higher 11" (with 2657M 1.6GHZ as option). If we are lucky, it will be 2617M and 2657M, if we are luckier it will be a bump (i5: 1.7GHz and i7: 1.7GHz/1.8GHz - I don't know the numbers) above this that is not yet released though was rumored on this site. These eat 17W TDP (though include GPU so no extra there). This would mean they probably cannot bump battery life much on the 11" (6 hours max).

For the 13 inch I expect 2629M (2.1GHz) and 2649M (2.3GHz) which eats 25W. This also means they cannot bump battery life much (8 hours max) though they might surprise me and use 17W TDP here which means a nice bump in battery life at the expense of performance (10 hours). Apple would have a hard time explaining why the CPU clock went from 1.86GHz/2.13GHz to 1.4/1.5/1.6 (or even if they use the unreleased goods (1.7/1.8).

I would be fine with both outcomes.

Actually, I just looked up the TDP of the NVidia. 9400M was 12W. GT 320M is probably similar Core2Duo CPU in the 11" is 10W and the 13" is 17W. So TDP for CPU/GPU would go down 22W -> 17W on the 11" and 29W -> 25W on the 13" (assuming they use the 25W of which I am sure of reading this). Maybe the 6 and 8 hours will be 7 and 9. :)

My not overly unrealistic wish is a base 13" with backlit keyboard, 4GB RAM default (upgradable), 128GB SSD and any of the 25W TDP i7 CPU (only i7 is available now), 8+ hours of battery, Thunderbolt, of course. Then I only have to drop the cash on the cheaper model as I don't need more SSD, I can get my RAM upgrade on the base model, and the difference between the 2629M and 2649M CPU is just clock speed. It is not like the difference between the lower 13" Macbook Pro and the higher which is an i5 to i7 upgrade. The backlit keyboard is the stickler. There was one line of Macbook Pros (or aluminium Macbooks?) where the keyboard backlighting was upgrade option between the lower and higher models. PLEASE don't do that. That'll certainly force me to drop the extra cash.

If there is no keyboard backlighting, it is questionable if I will buy...

I want the back lit keyboard as well, but it may not end up being a deal breaker for me. i'd probably be willing to BTO the backlit if necessary

ben173
Jun 12, 2011, 12:33 AM
do you guys think the iphone 5 will come out with it?

littvay
Jun 12, 2011, 12:34 AM
Thank goodness I didn't get my Macbook yet. Hopefully this rumor is true because I am getting a Mac at the end of June and I was hoping to get a Macbook Air because of its display is amazing. Hope its strong as the Macbook Pro 13 inch.

Wait it out even if it lasts until July. well worth it. If the MBA gets the 2.1GHz i7 CPU it will be comparable to the 2.3GHz i5 in the cheaper 13" MBP. The more expensive MBA is expected to have the 2.3GHz i7 and should outperform the cheaper 13" MBP. The more expensive 13" MBP has a 2.7GHz i7 CPU which the Air will not outperform. But the display and portability is well worth it. Wait for the Air upgrade. It is coming. Might come in July but the wait is well worth it.

I guess it is possible that we'll see difference CPUs. But these are some basic guidelines based on what is in the MBP and what is on the market that would fit the Air.

tbobmccoy
Jun 12, 2011, 12:36 AM
While I seriously hope this release happens on Wednesday (it would time my road trip well...), I suspect it'll just be B2S, if anything, like many others here. I also think Apple will up to 4GB of RAM as the standard as well. While they do get a sizeable profit from the upgrade to 4GB from the old standard of 2GB, I think that people see the Air as weaker than it is with the 2GB only. Perception will force their hand, IMHO.

littvay
Jun 12, 2011, 12:41 AM
Oh yeah - I am not buying until Back to School which is way overdue. I am praying for the inclusion of the iPad 2 in the BtS. 16GB GSM here I come then :) Otherwise I'll just have to sell a brand new iPod Touch... What a waste.

fkhan3
Jun 12, 2011, 12:52 AM
do you guys think the iphone 5 will come out with it?

no

littvay
Jun 12, 2011, 12:53 AM
what about Macbook and mac mini?

I honestly think the Macbook's days are numbered. Either that or the Macbook Air's days are numbered and the next iteration of the Air will be a Macbook. If there is another iteration of the Macbook, it is because their public opinion researchers were able to convince Jobs that the CD is still important for college kids. (I seriously doubt this as #1 it is probably not true, #2 the sentence included "convince Jobs"... :) In all seriousness I expected the built in CD drive to go away with the last Macbook Pro refresh. I was wrong but the day is coming for sure. It might be next iteration, the one after. But it is coming.

Additionally, can anyone name a single good reason why Apple would continue the Macbook line now that low the Air is $999? I was shocked to see it remain alive when the $999 Air came out. Lion won't be playing nice with hard drives. Portability is becoming more important for the target audience. iCould will be alleviating the storage needs. (Not well enough, can't deal with movies, photos very well, but it is a start. I really wish it was better.) And if you are in the small group of people who prefer a 13" screen, pay the difference. How many low end Mac purchases will turn away from Apple because they can only get an 11" screen for rock bottom price, or the lesser storage when iCould is an option, or no optical drive? Can anyone give me a compelling reason to keep the Macbook? :)

Now that I am writing this out I am starting to think renaming the Air makes sense. The Air brand was never that great. And soon the Pro line will be thiner and lighter once the optical drives go away and power consumptions dip (definitely by 2013 as Intel is promising 14W TDP on the regular line).

The Mac Mini's future has always been very uncertain and upgrades were way behind CPU releases. They usually came when Intel started selling their current line of CPUs ar blowout prices. Time might or might not be here for that yet. I am suspecting fall but they could surprise me.

drayon
Jun 12, 2011, 01:01 AM
Sources close to Apple point out two new models with 3G and Backlit keyboards.

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 01:06 AM

Can you list any practical advantages of such a dual boot on a laptop?

Apple has done extensive research and has publicly spoken out against touchscreen on vertical surfaces. A laptop is too unwieldily to hold horizontally, not to mention there's something called an iPad.

I'm not sure if this was supposed to be a joke because those are both pretty ridiculous ideas, but you made another response. So I'm curious to see what actual advantages there are, if any.

It's brought so many changes to Apple, Lion will take major cues from it. To be able to dualboot would make a MBA a truly revolutionary device instead of an evolutionary one. Doubt we'll see something like that this week, but it's time is coming.

Yes, the whole point of the "Back to the Mac" theme was so that the full OS would incorporate successful (and practical) elements from an iOS. As there is more incorporation, the full OS and iOS would become more and more similar, thus closing in the gap between the two. So having a dual boot would be contradictory.

There's always Launchpad in OS X Lion if one really wants to feigning an iOS.

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 01:09 AM
Who is chronic wire?

I've read every post in this thread and followed subsequent links and I still would like to know "Who is ChronicWire?" and why he has merit.

KylePowers
Jun 12, 2011, 01:17 AM
See: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/11/ios-speech-recognition-settings-confirm-nuance-apple-partnership/ for some details.

arn

I've read every post in this thread and followed subsequent links and I still would like to know "Who is ChronicWire?" and why he has merit.
Did you read that link? He's posted screenshots of internal iOS builds and has been known to have legitimate sources in the past.

Rumors are rumors, but I think all us awaiting the upcoming MBA will take anything we can get ;)

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 01:20 AM
Did you read that link? He's posted screenshots of internal iOS builds and has been known to have legitimate sources in the past.

Yes, so what does iOS have to do with a MacBook Air?

If he is known to have legitimate sources, then I would like to see that mentioned in the main article (as MacRumors has done with other reliable sources).

iLoveiMacs
Jun 12, 2011, 01:21 AM
I certainly hope that the new Air has a backlit keyboard! I'm using an aging 17" MacBook Pro from 2007.. and one of the features that I can't live without is a backlit keyboard!

KingCrimson
Jun 12, 2011, 01:22 AM
Yes, so what does iOS have to do with a MacBook Air?

If he is known to have legitimate sources, then I would like to see that mentioned in the main article (as MacRumors has done with other reliable sources).

Of course there won't be iOS on the MBA, but it's an unbelievable fake-out on MSFT. Now MSFT is putting mobile OS or whatever on Windows 8 and ruin the UX for everyone. Steve Jobs is smiling like the devil.

Voltabolt
Jun 12, 2011, 01:29 AM
Can't wait to get my hands on these!!:D

boss.king
Jun 12, 2011, 01:34 AM
iOS isn't a toy. It's brought so many changes to Apple, Lion will take major cues from it. To be able to dualboot would make a MBA a truly revolutionary device instead of an evolutionary one. Doubt we'll see something like that this week, but it's time is coming.

iOS is great, but not for a laptop. I mean, it's barely optimized for iPad, and half the apps would scale very poorly since the displays would have different resolutions. I don't think you've thought this idea through very well at all.

littvay
Jun 12, 2011, 01:37 AM
Sources close to Apple point out two new models with 3G and Backlit keyboards.

Personally I could not care less about 3G. Two years ago I did care. Now (that my phone has mobile hotspot) I do not. Apple is too late to the game on this if they release it now. Though I suspect it would be an appealing feature for many and it is a natural extension of their current relationships. Lets hope they don't make us all pay for it :)

I welcome all positive news concerning the backlighting of the keyboard. This does not really tell us if it is stock or an upgrade (and if it will be available on the cheaper 11"/13"). Not that I trust such a rumor dropped over here, but... :)

johneaston
Jun 12, 2011, 01:41 AM

I don't think so. It'll be a free download via the App Store and so would automatically introduce another couple of hundred thousand people to the App Store.

Also, if the Air is ready, why wait and risk delays with OS X Lion also delaying a load of hardware that'll slowly be going "out of date"?

I think (hope) the Air is coming out sooner rather than later. Apple want to push forward thunderbolt and so need to get thunderbolt-ready harware out into the real world.

stanny
Jun 12, 2011, 01:44 AM
Any chance this will have better than Intel 3000 graphics? I want to game but its an extra $1,300 for a 15" MBP with 256gb SSD where I am at.

MrXiro
Jun 12, 2011, 01:50 AM
I highly doubt 4gb RAM standard... why would Apple cannibalize their huge profit margins from making you BTO an extra 2gb for 100 dollars?

Maybe they'll have an "Ultimate" config with 4gb RAM built in as one of the standard options. But I wouldn't put even a single dollar on 4gb RAM being on the 64gb SSD base model for 999.

nebulos
Jun 12, 2011, 01:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can you list any practical advantages of such a dual boot on a laptop?

Apple has done extensive research and has publicly spoken out against touchscreen on vertical surfaces. A laptop is too unwieldily to hold horizontally, not to mention there's something called an iPad.

I'm not sure if this was supposed to be a joke because those are both pretty ridiculous ideas, but you made another response. So I'm curious to see what actual advantages there are, if any.

It's brought so many changes to Apple, Lion will take major cues from it. To be able to dualboot would make a MBA a truly revolutionary device instead of an evolutionary one. Doubt we'll see something like that this week, but it's time is coming.

Yes, the whole point of the "Back to the Mac" theme was so that the full OS would incorporate successful (and practical) elements from an iOS. As there is more incorporation, the full OS and iOS would become more and more similar, thus closing in the gap between the two. So having a dual boot would be contradictory.

There's always Launchpad in OS X Lion if one really wants to feigning an iOS.

Apple could make a laptop whose screen turns around and lays flat. Then you could have a laptop and an iPad in one machine.

When they updated the Air last Fall, they said it was a laptop/iPad hybrid, which was mostly a load of crap; They tried to sell the trackpad as the 'touch' part of the iPad.

However, I think a true hybrid, as above, is quite doable. I wouldn't mind seeing it in the future.

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 01:54 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple could make a laptop whose screens turns around and lays flat. Then you could have a laptop and an iPad in one machine.

However, I think a true hybrid, as above, is quite doable. I wouldn't mind seeing it in the future.

Tablet PC laptops never took off and they're on their way out.

boss.king
Jun 12, 2011, 02:00 AM
Apple could make a laptop whose screen turns around and lays flat. Then you could have a laptop and an iPad in one machine.

When they updated the Air last Fall, they said it was a laptop/iPad hybrid, which was mostly a load of crap; They tried to sell the trackpad as the 'touch' part of the iPad.

I doubt Apple would make a swivelling laptop, it's not their style. As I see it, the don't really like moving parts, and when they do, the less movements per part the better, as it results in a far sturdier design

iPhone Addict
Jun 12, 2011, 02:09 AM
This refresh is going to be exactly that, just a refresh. Nothing major, just some faster chips and perhaps a little more memory. Just my $0.02.

jb1280
Jun 12, 2011, 02:13 AM

Apple never said the latest iteration of the Macbook Air was a laptop/iPad hybrid. That connotes a true merging of two inherently different type of products. Apple did say that they were moving some hardware features from the iPad into their notebook line where it makes sense to, most notably the elimination of an HDD or SSD enclosure and building flash memory directly onto the board. The Macbook Air has had multitouch since its origin.

I can't help but assume that the conventional wisdom in 2010-2011 on such a product is that it would result in a compromised tablet and a compromised notebook, which would ultimately result in a less optimal user experience.

Such a product would be heavier and have less battery life than an iPad and having a larger capacitive display would result in a much more expensive notebook.

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 02:16 AM
Apple never said the latest iteration of the Macbook Air was a laptop/iPad hybrid.

I wasn't too sure about that one, either. I was about to pull up the keynote presentation to see if anyone actually referred to the MBA as a "laptop/iPad hybrid" because I certainly do not remember it.

Marx55
Jun 12, 2011, 02:50 AM
Hopefully with a lighter and smaller MacBook Air model.

torbjoern
Jun 12, 2011, 03:05 AM
Why on Earth would they cripple the MBA by turning it into an iPad? Such deterioration of a fantastic product...

davie18
Jun 12, 2011, 03:13 AM
Realistic expectations:

11" MacBook Air
Core i5 ULV processor
4 GBs of RAM
64 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$999

11" MacBook air
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
7 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1199

13" MacBook Air
Core i7 ULV Processor
4 GBs of RAM
128 GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1299

13" MacBook Air
4 GBs of RAM
256GB SSD
9 Hour Battery Life
Thunderbolt Port
$1599

I thought the current graphics card doesn't work well with sandy bridge processors, hence why they took it out of the 13" MBP and put in intel HD graphics?

littvay
Jun 12, 2011, 03:19 AM
I thought the current graphics card doesn't work well with sandy bridge processors, hence why they took it out of the 13" MBP and put in intel HD graphics?

I think that was implied in the cited post (despite the everything else stays the same comment). No NVidia in the upgrade, that is for sure. But the video performance of Sandy Bridge is quite comparable. It only lagged on a few games.

Icaras
Jun 12, 2011, 03:32 AM
Not bad.

Wrong. Just wrong.

AQUADock
Jun 12, 2011, 03:32 AM
Hopefully with a lighter and smaller MacBook Air model.

What? 11inch isnt small enough for you? and how could they possibly make it thinner without removing ports, and why would anyone want that?

htpw16
Jun 12, 2011, 03:51 AM
What? 11inch isnt small enough for you? and how could they possibly make it thinner without removing ports, and why would anyone want that?

Agreed. Would just make the thing flimsy.

littvay
Jun 12, 2011, 04:03 AM

Actually. Can anyone point me to a lighter 11 inch netbook/laptop? (How about one with aluminium casing?) I don't think they exist. If the former does, I get you it is crap construction. (Though Apple never really got the hinges on the Air right. The old one - well, I killed three. The new is flimsy.)

lieuwe
Jun 12, 2011, 04:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Who is chronic wire?

@chronicwire has only 8 tweets, at what tweet did he earn the "reliable source" status?
I think this is a hoax.

thewalkman
Jun 12, 2011, 05:20 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Dude, you really think they would write that if they didn't know him? Come on. Look at his personal twitter account, @chronic

haruhiko
Jun 12, 2011, 05:44 AM
I shouldn't have bought the MBP!

Lesser Evets
Jun 12, 2011, 05:56 AM
Realistic expectations:...

You lost me with the first word.
Further reading reinforced that divorce from reality.

Atlantico
Jun 12, 2011, 06:05 AM
To add some brazen and unsubstantiated speculation, perhaps we'll see an A5 based MBA - imagine the battery life.. Steve would certainly approve.

SBlue1
Jun 12, 2011, 06:18 AM

Why do you want a retina display in a Mac? How close are you holding it in front of your eyes? Same as your phone? :) :p

trims
Jun 12, 2011, 06:19 AM
I also think Apple will up to 4GB of RAM as the standard as well. While they do get a sizeable profit from the upgrade to 4GB from the old standard of 2GB, I think that people see the Air as weaker than it is with the 2GB only. Perception will force their hand, IMHO.

2GB is a bit lame, frankly. Check out the sub $500 notebooks on Amazon.

Also wonder why keyboard backlight is such a problem when Samsung can manage it on their slimmer 9 series?

Just saying . . . .

Eriamjh1138@DAN
Jun 12, 2011, 06:29 AM
I want a 15" MBA with a 10-hour battery!

keewawa
Jun 12, 2011, 06:33 AM
Blimey~~ Really can NOT wait!:eek:

Kentochan
Jun 12, 2011, 07:17 AM
Does Intel not have low-voltage Core i3 CPUs? Seems like that may be more logical for the base 11" to keep the costs down.

Scottsdale
Jun 12, 2011, 07:21 AM
I highly doubt 4gb RAM standard... why would Apple cannibalize their huge profit margins from making you BTO an extra 2gb for 100 dollars?

Maybe they'll have an "Ultimate" config with 4gb RAM built in as one of the standard options. But I wouldn't put even a single dollar on 4gb RAM being on the 64gb SSD base model for 999.

They would cannibalize a lot more than $99 on average. Many people that go into a retail store just want the 4GB RAM option but Apple only sells ultimate models which force SSD and CPU upgrade at large profits on all of it.

For this reason, Apple will stick with 2GB standard. However, I feel that 2GB is sufficient for the 11" but not the 13" and since the 11" is more popular perhaps they will go 4GB standard in it. They also could have an 8GB upgrade option if doing 4GB standard. Although for 95% of users 4GB would be sufficient for several years.

Darkashnet
Jun 12, 2011, 07:27 AM
Looking to replace my 2008 MPB. I'd like an Air with 15" screen (Yeah, I know), back-lit keyboard, 4GB RAM standard. Here's to hoping.

KPOM
Jun 12, 2011, 07:33 AM
Does Intel not have low-voltage Core i3 CPUs? Seems like that may be more logical for the base 11" to keep the costs down.

No, not in the Sandy Bridge version. There are 1.4GHz and 1.5GHz versions of the Sandy Bridge Core i5 that can be used to keep the cost of the 11" down while still providing a significant CPU boost. One issue is that the built-in GPU is also slower than the one that is used in the new MacBook Pro (and thus noticeably slower than the NVIDIA 320m).

MBABuyer
Jun 12, 2011, 07:35 AM
mistake

Ronald.
Jun 12, 2011, 07:42 AM
Dude, just..... :rolleyes:

http://twitter.com/#!/chronic

drsmithy
Jun 12, 2011, 07:46 AM
That ship has long sailed. Apple would never do it (even ignoring the significant re-engineering of the MacBook it would require).

Marginally more realistic would be a MacBook [Pro] with a detachable screen that became an iPad, but that's a bit too much utility in a single device for Apple, so I seriously doubt it would ever happen either.

iPave
Jun 12, 2011, 07:47 AM
My wish list for next Air:
1) built-in 3G

karlth
Jun 12, 2011, 07:49 AM
1) built-in 3G

With 4G on the horizon?

Q2Air2Pro
Jun 12, 2011, 07:53 AM
IMHO Apple will not release "ultimate" models as base models. MR forum members are always disappointed w/ the new MB, because (as Apple knows) there are always things to be improved.

So my predictions:
* i3 - i5, w/ upgrade options to i7 (similar to current MBP 13").
* Thunderbolt (Apple apparently needs to push this as a new standard).
* Less B2S $discount$ compared w/ other M(B)-models. Note that educational discount for the MBA has consistently been lower for MBA ($50) compared w/ MBP ($100).

* No backlit, where would the ambient light sensor put into? Batter life?
* No more GBs harddrive, so 64 - 128GB.

* 4GB RAM in base 13" model? This has probably raised the most discussions in the Apple Board, so we'll have to wait. The current models work fine w/ 2GB, but Lion may require somewhat more RAM power...?

Q2Air2Pro
Jun 12, 2011, 07:56 AM
BTW - Does anybody understand why the Mac Refurb Store states that the following model (which I would love to have), has a "Built-in iSight Camera" as opposed to a "FaceTime Camera" like all other refurbished 13" MBAs? Did they replace it w/ an older webcam during the refurb-process? Or just a typo?

Refurbished MacBook Air 1.86 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Originally released October 2010
13.3-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display

4GB memory
128GB solid-state drive

NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics

Built-in iSight Camera

SactoGuy18
Jun 12, 2011, 07:57 AM
From the rumors about the new MacBook Air, it sounds like essentially an Apple version of Asus UX21 but with Apple-specific features, including possibly a Thunderbolt port.

orfeas0
Jun 12, 2011, 08:09 AM

If they ship them now, they will make mba buyers spend an extra 30$ on OSX Lion, whilst if released later they will make no profit from the new OSX and airs.

ulfses
Jun 12, 2011, 08:14 AM
If they ship them now, they will make mba buyers spend an extra 30$ on OSX Lion, whilst if released later they will make no profit from the new OSX and airs.
nah - The Mac OS X Lion Up-To-Date upgrade is available at no additional charge via the Mac App Store to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011.

regandarcy
Jun 12, 2011, 08:37 AM
Yeah, 2GB doesnt cut it anymore. Even for a netbook these days. Just not enough. The macbook air may not be a Macbook Pro...but it is DEFINITELY NOT an ipad either running iOS 4.

It runs full mac OSX, and with LION coming out next month which will probably demand even more....4gigs of ram SHOULD come standard.

Guess we will find out soon enough eh? :-)

Personally, with Sandy Bridge being a given, 4gigs of ram and bigger capacity HDs are all i care about. Upgrading the ram thru apple is easy enough should it come standard with 2gigs....but i hope Apple can offer more than a 256gig HD on this go around. iCloud schmiCloud! I want a bigger HD on this baby! Lol.

Backlit keyboard? I am a touch typist, and couldnt give a hoot. Although i know others fins this important, i couldnt care less. :-p

Looking forward to next week. Heh heh heh.

ratpH1nk
Jun 12, 2011, 08:45 AM
not tuesday? there is no federal holiday on Monday, right?

For a variety of reasons, y'all know Apple releases stuff on Tuesdays. There are news cycle reasons, call center reasons etc..

Robert M.
Jun 12, 2011, 08:59 AM
Then only thing that will make me upgrade my current 11 inch is a back-lit keyboard--and 4 Gigs of Ram standard. The i5 seems great, but I don't think the extra speed is needed for what I use my MBA for.

Honestly, I don't even need the extra ram or the back-lit keyboard. I only said it needs those two things because when I upgrade I like it to feel like I really upgraded. And the i5 isn't enough for me anymore. :o

AidenShaw
Jun 12, 2011, 09:04 AM
Lion won't be playing nice with hard drives.

:eek: Please explain that statement - it really makes no sense.

Won't work at all. The 320M isn't a "graphics card", it's a "chipset with integrated graphics".

Nvidia doesn't make a chipset for Core i* CPUs, so if the GPU is integrated into the chipset it has to be Intel. Non-integrated GPUs (discrete) work fine with SandyBridge, but are not as compact or power-friendly.

With 4G on the horizon?

Only on the "horizon" if you're stuck with AT&T.

Buy them online at Verizon today - http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?&item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneOverviewByDevice&deviceCategoryId=15

http://cache.vzw.com/images_b2c/phones/lg/vzw_lte_usb_551l_modem.png

KristenM
Jun 12, 2011, 09:13 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Please please please please...I've been holding off for more than a month and decided that if it's not updated by next week I'm going with a MBP.

shurcooL
Jun 12, 2011, 09:27 AM
Additionally, can anyone name a single good reason why Apple would continue the Macbook line now that low the Air is $999? I was shocked to see it remain alive when the $999 Air came out. Lion won't be playing nice with hard drives. Portability is becoming more important for the target audience. iCould will be alleviating the storage needs. (Not well enough, can't deal with movies, photos very well, but it is a start. I really wish it was better.) And if you are in the small group of people who prefer a 13" screen, pay the difference. How many low end Mac purchases will turn away from Apple because they can only get an 11" screen for rock bottom price, or the lesser storage when iCould is an option, or no optical drive? Can anyone give me a compelling reason to keep the Macbook? :)
For many people, the MacBook is still better than base 11" MBA for getting their (school?) work done.

It has a bigger screeen (not everyone wants to stare at 11" for hours on end), comes with hard-drive for more storage (this is a big one), comes with optical drive, it's white, it's pretty solid.

shurcooL
Jun 12, 2011, 09:28 AM
2GB is a bit lame, frankly. Check out the sub $500 notebooks on Amazon.
It's not as big a deal when you have a super fast SSD, which is why MBA can get away with it. Those sub $500 notebooks have slow hard-drives.

shurcooL
Jun 12, 2011, 09:34 AM
Marginally more realistic would be a MacBook [Pro] with a detachable screen that became an iPad, but that's a bit too much utility in a single device for Apple, so I seriously doubt it would ever happen either.
That would be sooo retarded. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

AidenShaw
Jun 12, 2011, 09:38 AM
Additionally, can anyone name a single good reason why Apple would continue the Macbook line now that low the Air is $999?

Here's a very good reason:

OatmealRocks
Jun 12, 2011, 09:42 AM

Probably not. As much as I would like to see 4GB standard and 8GB option. I don't think we will see it in this release based on the fact the refresh will already be CPU and ThunderPort (My assumption). Cost factor for Apple have most likely increase and increasing ram as standard would probably not be favorable (while maintaining original MSRP). Also historically giving the consumer so much heavy specs is not common from Apple (at least in one iteration).

kdimitt
Jun 12, 2011, 09:47 AM
Then only thing that will make me upgrade my current 11 inch is a back-lit keyboard--and 4 Gigs of Ram standard. The i5 seems great, but I don't think the extra speed is needed for what I use my MBA for.

Honestly, I don't even need the extra ram or the back-lit keyboard. I only said it needs those two things because when I upgrade I like it to feel like I really upgraded. And the i5 isn't enough for me anymore. :o

An i5 processor isn't enough for you anymore? I am now super impressed by you and your amazingness because you said that an i5 processor (what a lot of people consider to be enough) not enough for you and your amazingness....wow.

Not in response to your "impressive" statement. I am hoping for the 4gb ram standard and i5 standard with i7 upgrade. Backlit keyboard would be a bonus but not deal breaker. :P

OatmealRocks
Jun 12, 2011, 09:50 AM

Awesome keep what you have if you are happy with it. For the majority the CPU upgrade is the performance leap (catch up?) they want in such small form factor. I am waiting for this and was one of the contributing reasons I want to sell my current MBP.

I am confused what improvements you feel like a 'real upgrade'? Can't get any bigger than moving from C2D to i5. Everything else is marginal based on comparison from old version to current version. Your statement is confusing.

shanmugam
Jun 12, 2011, 09:56 AM
Probably not. As much as I would like to see 4GB standard and 8GB option. I don't think we will see it in this release based on the fact the refresh will already be CPU and ThunderPort (My assumption). Cost factor for Apple have most likely increase and increasing ram as standard would probably not be favorable (while maintaining original MSRP). Also historically giving the consumer so much heavy specs is not common from Apple (at least in one iteration).

cost is not a factor ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007609%20600000445%20600000399&IsNodeId=1&name=4GB

i am not really asking for 8GB, but 4GB good enough for next few versions of OS X

bevahunter
Jun 12, 2011, 09:59 AM

If it truly comes out on Wed.... which I would love.... there would be no doubt that you would get the upgrade for free....

OatmealRocks
Jun 12, 2011, 10:01 AM
iOS is great, but not for a laptop. I mean, it's barely optimized for iPad, and half the apps would scale very poorly since the displays would have different resolutions. I don't think you've thought this idea through very well at all.

iOs and LION on MBA FTW statements don't make any sense. If anything it just looks like a bunch of people trying to use new buzz words together with no foresight or understanding of what it means, how it works or the impact it may have.

iOS on a MBA or any computer is silly. It's meant for iOS devices for one and would cannibalize a different business vertical for no apparent reason or value (at this time). Also add to the fact hmm well.. TOUCH screen would be an obvious incompatibility issue on the work-flow and fundamental concept of using iOS apps.

Roller
Jun 12, 2011, 10:02 AM

Since Lion is only 7 weeks from being shipped, at most, many MBA buyers would probably decide to wait. Even if the MBA came with a free upgrade to Lion, it would be worth holding off to avoid the pain of having to update the OS.

karlth
Jun 12, 2011, 10:07 AM

Please please please please...I've been holding off for more than a month and decided that if it's not updated by next week I'm going with a MBP.

Don't. Everyone I have spoken too that have used types of Macbooks swear by the Air.

currentinterest
Jun 12, 2011, 10:07 AM
Not waiting for Lion. I will buy an Air as soon as it is announced.

OatmealRocks
Jun 12, 2011, 10:09 AM
cost is not a factor ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007609%20600000445%20600000399&IsNodeId=1&name=4GB

i am not really asking for 8GB, but 4GB good enough for next few versions of OS X

I'm aware of the cost from a retail level. However nominal or not, MBA have soldered ram chips and there is still a cost consideration from a manufacturing stand point. Apple's supplier most likely adopt some form of JIT manufacturing process but the procured materials/components (RAM) all the way until the present have ONLY seen as high as 4GB. Consideration to get 8GB and the logistics, planning, production involved is still a cost factor. Remember this would be a NEW component being introduced vs component that have been part of the ongoing manufacturing cycle.

pmz
Jun 12, 2011, 10:27 AM
Here is how this works, Macrumors...

On Wednesday, if MacBook Airs are released...when covering that article, you highlight the chronicwire as having nailed this point precisely. In the future, you cite him as having been 100% right in the past.

If MacBook Airs are not released on Wednesday, then you run an article stating that this chronic wire made claims of 100% certainty and turned out be 100% wrong. You make certain that readers understand the difference between a source and a bull$%^& artist, and in the future you refer to chronicwire as someone who is known to be wrong and make things up.

Got it?

I'm getting pretty tired of Macrumors running articles that seriously suggest a possibility, even to the extent of highlighting the person's "100%" certainty (which is of course impossibility), while the "source" happens to be someone who has a track record of being as wrong as could be.

B.G.R. is the best example. They've been caught fictionalizing in order to drive up traffic and ad revenue dozens of times, and Macrumors has even written about it, but Macrumors continues to point to B.G.R. (usually at the times of highest anticipation) as some kind of legitimate source.

Macrumors is so irresponsible with this that its quite difficult to maintain a history on who is accurate and who is not. No matter how wrong a source has been, or how many times they've been proven dead wrong, the latest thing they say will still make Macrumors headlines, even if the odds of it being true are 0.

2IS
Jun 12, 2011, 10:28 AM

Why would they do that when they can make an additional $30 off you?

parapup
Jun 12, 2011, 10:32 AM
Judging by the previous generation i5/ULV in my Ideapad - the SB i5 ULV upgrade will be totally awesome especially for people using their Airs as a development machine.

I do a quite a bit of C/C++/Java compiles on my Ideapad and while it certainly is not as blazing fast as the regular i5/i7, it was quite acceptable. With SB it should get even better.

Pondering ditching my Ideapad for a SB 13" Air, if it comes with backlit keyboard, 4GB standard RAM and 1440x900 resolution. Don't think that is likely to happen though.

2IS
Jun 12, 2011, 10:35 AM
An i5 processor isn't enough for you anymore? I am now super impressed by you and your amazingness because you said that an i5 processor (what a lot of people consider to be enough) not enough for you and your amazingness....wow.

Not in response to your "impressive" statement. I am hoping for the 4gb ram standard and i5 standard with i7 upgrade. Backlit keyboard would be a bonus but not deal breaker. :P

An i5 isn't enough for me either so add me to the list of people you're impressed with.

Let me be clear as to the context of this statement since it was clearly lost on you. The post you quoted clearly stated that the i5 is more speed than what he needs. He later went on to say an i5 is not enough for him. What that means is simply having an i5 is not reason enough to upgrade to the latest and greatest generation of MBA. It really wasn't that hard to figure out.

thewalkman
Jun 12, 2011, 10:36 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

They can't. For the 10th time, every Mac bought after the WWDC announcement gets lion for free.

chocolaterabbit
Jun 12, 2011, 10:53 AM
i was waiting on a 11" refresh just because the sandy bridge cpus are that much of an improvement on c2ds, and let's face it, the cpu is probably what's holding the 11 air back the most. however, the one thing i would like to see is a backlit keyboard. the number of times it's saved me from poking around in the dark is now too many to count. if that's part of the new airs it would be an instant buy for me.

HighSynergy
Jun 12, 2011, 10:56 AM
i would like an option for anti-glare as well

Flip2gig
Jun 12, 2011, 10:57 AM

This is exactly what I want to see from Apple! Y'all saying that tablets are on their way out really need to expand your mind, this is un-tapped territory by Apple that could realistically be a revolution in personal computing.

Case and point: I work in construction management, what If I had the ability to bring up drawings out in the field, or on our projector in meetings, and be able to multi-touch my way around to a particular detail, then be able to use a stylus to mark up, bubble or draw whatever point I'm trying to get across. This is a true evolution in getting ideas across easily and efficiently.

College kids: Now you're able to take notes on a flat tablet, using the magnetically recessed stylus, you can write how you want to, link to class powerpoint slides / pdf's or whatever directly into your notes, draw pictures (think free-body-diagrams all you engineers), or anything else that you simply can't do with an archaic keyboard based Word program. Think of a calculator/graphing app that solves your written equations, the possibilities are endless.

We can get all these features from a MBA / iPad hybrid. Hell the screen wouldn't even have to swivel, it could be double sided with a multi-touch / stylus supported screen on the outside.

arn
Jun 12, 2011, 10:57 AM
So, we've heard confirmation about MBAs for this week also. Tues or Wed.

Part numbers:

MC603, MC604, MC605, MC606

subatomicsatan
Jun 12, 2011, 11:06 AM
If one of the models has a back-lit keyboard, I'm sold!

johneaston
Jun 12, 2011, 11:06 AM

Part numbers:

Confirmation how? If it's confirmed then it's not a rumor and surely only Apple could confirm their release.

The Samurai
Jun 12, 2011, 11:12 AM

Part numbers:

Sweet!

Could do with a faster CPU.

macsamillionjoe
Jun 12, 2011, 11:12 AM
Since Lion is only 7 weeks from being shipped, at most, many MBA buyers would probably decide to wait. Even if the MBA came with a free upgrade to Lion, it would be worth holding off to avoid the pain of having to update the OS.
Dude idk if you are trolling or not but APPLE already said EVERY mac purchased after june 6 will come LION FREE...

How hard is it to go to the App store and download Lion come on now.....

Akamatsu
Jun 12, 2011, 11:15 AM
Lion is only $30. I'm not waiting.

sillyrabbitt
Jun 12, 2011, 11:16 AM
If one of the models has a back-lit keyboard, I'm sold!

i am with you

jvmxtra
Jun 12, 2011, 11:17 AM
time to ditch 2011 mbp already

jeremiah256
Jun 12, 2011, 11:18 AM

On Wednesday, if MacBook Airs are released...when covering that article, you highlight the chronicwire as having nailed this point precisely. In the future, you cite him as having been 100% right in the past.

If MacBook Airs are not released on Wednesday, then you run an article stating that this chronic wire made claims of 100% certainty and turned out be 100% wrong. You make certain that readers understand the difference between a source and a bull$%^& artist, and in the future you refer to chronicwire as someone who is known to be wrong and make things up.

Got it?

I'm getting pretty tired of Macrumors running articles that seriously suggest a possibility, even to the extent of highlighting the person's "100%" certainty (which is of course impossibility), while the "source" happens to be someone who has a track record of being as wrong as could be.

B.G.R. is the best example. They've been caught fictionalizing in order to drive up traffic and ad revenue dozens of times, and Macrumors has even written about it, but Macrumors continues to point to B.G.R. (usually at the times of highest anticipation) as some kind of legitimate source.

Macrumors is so irresponsible with this that its quite difficult to maintain a history on who is accurate and who is not. No matter how wrong a source has been, or how many times they've been proven dead wrong, the latest thing they say will still make Macrumors headlines, even if the odds of it being true are 0.

+1

Somehow you'd been given a -1 when I read your post so I'm giving you a permanent, irrevocable "Preach brother" or sister :o

jeremiah256
Jun 12, 2011, 11:30 AM

1 From Apple's press release:
"The Mac OS X Lion Up-To-Date upgrade is available at no additional charge via the Mac App Store to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lions official release date to make a request."

2. They've been reducing the price of OS X over the last several releases so why would you think they really care how much money they make from it? The more people who use Lion and get used to Apple's workflow, the more they like iOS devices (the opposite is also true). Apple makes the majority of its profits from selling hardware, not software. You're thinking of Microsoft's business model.

tann
Jun 12, 2011, 11:40 AM
Ah man! So excited! I kinda wish that I hadn't got a MBP after the 2010 refresh because I now know that for the same price I paid (with some BTO options) I can get the low end 13" MBA (as it is now) w/ optional 4GBs of ram and a low end 21.5" iMac for less than what my MBP cost.. Damn.

That being said I do love my MBP!

johneaston
Jun 12, 2011, 11:43 AM

Part numbers:

Am I the only one who wants to know what is meant by 'confirmation'?

Roller
Jun 12, 2011, 11:57 AM
Dude idk if you are trolling or not but APPLE already said EVERY mac purchased after june 6 will come LION FREE...

How hard is it to go to the App store and download Lion come on now.....

I said that the reason to wait would be to avoid having to update the OS, which will ship in at most 7 weeks. I don't care at all about the $30.

Will upgrading to to Lion be easier than with previous OS X releases? That'd be great, but I'm not counting on it. OS updates are less painful than they were in the classic OS days - I've been using Macs since 1984 - but they're still not fun.

I'd much rather buy the MBA with Lion already installed and then transfer my stuff.

Edgejr
Jun 12, 2011, 12:02 PM
I've got a Gen2 MBA with a 128 GB SSD Drive. Suits me just fine, but it's practically impossible to find a drive upgrad to more than 128 GB. I've been holding off on the new MBAs solely because they don't have a backlit keyboard.

I LOVE my backlit keyboard. Any chance the new machines will add that back into the mix?

orfeas0
Jun 12, 2011, 12:04 PM

Got it?

read the site's name: MacRUMORS

webman2k
Jun 12, 2011, 12:09 PM
Steve Jobs said you don't want touch screens on laptops! ;)

And he's right. do you realize how awkward it would be to reach across your keyboard and interact with the screen? The only way that would work is if you could swivel the screen and fold it down, like the convertibles that exist now - and that sort of design always feels flimsy - not the sort of solution Apple would design.

MM1
Jun 12, 2011, 12:09 PM
"New Part numbers for MacBook Airs are MC603, MC604, MC605, MC606"

these part numbers are allready used for the different models of iPhone 4:confused:

/Kamil

arn
Jun 12, 2011, 12:19 PM
"New Part numbers for MacBook Airs are MC603, MC604, MC605, MC606"

these part numbers are allready used for the different models of iPhone 4:confused:

/Kamil

Yep, you're right. So, our source misinterpreted the numbers. Unlocked iPhones for sale in u.s.?

False alarm on MBA part #s.

arn

johneaston
Jun 12, 2011, 12:25 PM
Yep, you're right. So, our source misinterpreted the numbers. Unlocked iPhones for sale in u.s.?

arn

Macrumors fail.

thewalkman
Jun 12, 2011, 12:33 PM

arn

Macrumors fail.

Jesus, stop trolling.

Akamatsu
Jun 12, 2011, 12:34 PM
And he's right. do you realize how awkward it would be to reach across your keyboard and interact with the screen? The only way that would work is if you could swivel the screen and fold it down, like the convertibles that exist now - and that sort of design always feels flimsy - not the sort of solution Apple would design.

I have an HP touchscreen, and I hardly ever use the feature because it is so awkward. I agree with you, and Mr. Jobs on this one.

johneaston
Jun 12, 2011, 12:58 PM

Jesus, stop trolling.

You must have me confused with someone else. My name's John, not jesus.

macbook123
Jun 12, 2011, 01:23 PM
I hope they finally realize that they can put a 15.4" display in a Macbook Air with the same footprint as the current 13.3" one as long as they decrease the width of this humongous bezel a tad.

Benjamins
Jun 12, 2011, 01:49 PM
sweet! did you say unlocked iphone?

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 02:02 PM

Got it?

Thank you for posting this.

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 02:03 PM
read the site's name: MacRUMORS

There's a difference between a rumor and what some one-hit wonder (who may or may not have gotten lucky) says on Twitter.

If these rumors pan out, then I'll pay attention to what ChronicWire says in the future. Until then, there is nothing truly substantial to back up these claims, and MacRumors really has not highlighted this.

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 02:30 PM
This is exactly what I want to see from Apple! Y'all saying that tablets are on their way out really need to expand your mind, this is un-tapped territory by Apple that could realistically be a revolution in personal computing.

Case and point: I work in construction management, what If I had the ability to bring up drawings out in the field, or on our projector in meetings, and be able to multi-touch my way around to a particular detail, then be able to use a stylus to mark up, bubble or draw whatever point I'm trying to get across. This is a true evolution in getting ideas across easily and efficiently.

No. Tablet PC laptops entered the market years ago, and have never had any tremendous gains in capturing the market. Those were not multi-touch because you would only interact with it at a single point with a stylus.

At what frequency do you see people using a tablet PC laptop these days? Like netbooks, they are "junky" and Apple has repeatedly stated that they will not follow the PC market in areas that are "junky". There is a good reason why they are on the decline.

neko girl
Jun 12, 2011, 02:33 PM
Why don't you grow up and make your own value judgments instead of blaming arn for publishing Mac Rumors. No one is forcing you to read the news here, but when you do give the site owner the proper respect.

You really do represent the worst sort of community member around here.

jonnysods
Jun 12, 2011, 02:34 PM
Man a new MBA with the upgraded processors will be sweet. Low voltage and higher power for processing.

Hope to see some bigger price drops with these as well.

KingCrimson
Jun 12, 2011, 02:36 PM
Back-lit keyboard should be adjustable like the one on the Logitech Illuminated keyboard.

Adidas Addict
Jun 12, 2011, 02:40 PM
Back-lit keyboard should be adjustable like the one on the Logitech Illuminated keyboard.

Erm, like the macbook pro......

KingCrimson
Jun 12, 2011, 02:47 PM
Erm, like the macbook pro......

And Apple charges you a super premium on Macbook Pro for the privilege of having backlit keyboard.... I fail to understand why backlit is a super premium feature that requires paying another $1000 for.

G.O.B
Jun 12, 2011, 02:51 PM
Chronic says what we found out in this thread a while ago, it's unlocked iPhones and now MBA's coming to stores on Wednesday.

Fast Shadow
Jun 12, 2011, 03:01 PM
Page 1 article citing some hipster chick's twitter as a source... awesome.

maddav
Jun 12, 2011, 03:16 PM
So chronicwire's latest tweet seems to imply that the MBA news is completely wrong.

htpw16
Jun 12, 2011, 03:17 PM
Unlocked iPhones seems way out of left field...

tbobmccoy
Jun 12, 2011, 03:30 PM
So chronicwire's latest tweet seems to imply that the MBA news is completely wrong.

This should be updated in the story, arn. This is officially page 2 news, or reclassified as iPhone only. More waiting for Airs I guess... :(

KPOM
Jun 12, 2011, 03:46 PM
Unlocked iPhones seems way out of left field...

That said, if it is true, it is big news in itself, since Apple has never sold unlocked iPhones in the US.

htpw16
Jun 12, 2011, 03:50 PM
That said, if it is true, it is big news in itself, since Apple has never sold unlocked iPhones in the US.

Definitely big news worthy of some type of announcement...at least at WWDC last week...

iCrizzo
Jun 12, 2011, 03:59 PM
LOL.. I assume 100% really menat 99.99% sure... always that .01% that will get you every time! :rolleyes:

odedia
Jun 12, 2011, 04:01 PM
Unlocked iPhones in the states?? That's even bigger news than new MBAs! I would buy one.

Ijustfarted
Jun 12, 2011, 04:02 PM
They should kill the white macbook and make the airs the new Macbooks.

emwgradstudent
Jun 12, 2011, 04:09 PM
They should kill the white macbook and make the airs the new Macbooks.

This actually seems to be the direction they are going. When the MacBook Air is updated, its specs will make it far above the level of the white MacBook. MacBook Airs as the base and MacBook Pros as the high end. There really isn't that much of a price difference between the two. $999 vs. $1199

dtancu
Jun 12, 2011, 04:11 PM
I have a 13" MBP.
The problem on the MBA for me is not the processing power, it's the screen size. You can say all you want but 13" is small, especially on OSX with its dock taking space like hell.
I'm not saying 17" is best, cause those are huge beasts for me, but 15" would be ideal.

emwgradstudent
Jun 12, 2011, 04:12 PM
I have a 13" MBP.
The problem on the MBA for me is not the processing power, it's the screen size. You can say all you want but 13" is small, especially on OSX with its dock taking space like hell.
I'm not saying 17" is best, cause those are huge beasts for me, but 15" would be ideal.

I know what you mean. I had a 13" MacBook Pro, but found it worked best when I auto-hid the dock. Gave me more real estate, but Lion should fix that!

odedia
Jun 12, 2011, 04:13 PM
I have a 13" MBP.

My dream apple laptop is actually a 17" Macbook Air. I doubt it will ever see the light of day, though.

cassians
Jun 12, 2011, 04:17 PM
And Apple charges you a super premium on Macbook Pro for the privilege of having backlit keyboard.... I fail to understand why backlit is a super premium feature that requires paying another $1000 for.

Please tell me how the hell it's a "super premium feature" that you have to pay ANOTHER $1000 for....?

Please clarify... :confused::confused::confused:

littvay
Jun 12, 2011, 04:26 PM
They would cannibalize a lot more than $99 on average. Many people that go into a retail store just want the 4GB RAM option but Apple only sells ultimate models which force SSD and CPU upgrade at large profits on all of it.

For this reason, Apple will stick with 2GB standard. However, I feel that 2GB is sufficient for the 11" but not the 13" and since the 11" is more popular perhaps they will go 4GB standard in it. They also could have an 8GB upgrade option if doing 4GB standard. Although for 95% of users 4GB would be sufficient for several years.

Actually, you can get a RAM upgrade on the base model now. Not sure if you can in stores, but you can on the website.

I don't think 2GB was sufficient 2 generations ago. At minimum I expected upgrade options that only arrived with the current gen. If they bump the base to 4GB don't expect the 8GB upgrade to remain a $100 option (or even an option at all on the cheaper model).

I could live with 4GB, I would pay for 8GB.

littvay
Jun 12, 2011, 04:27 PM
No, not in the Sandy Bridge version. There are 1.4GHz and 1.5GHz versions of the Sandy Bridge Core i5 that can be used to keep the cost of the 11" down while still providing a significant CPU boost. One issue is that the built-in GPU is also slower than the one that is used in the new MacBook Pro (and thus noticeably slower than the NVIDIA 320m).

Here's hoping that Intel does not have custom or new chips in the bag at the LV 25W TDP. That line only contains two i7 CPUs now and they are the best candidates for the 13". I could easily live with the lower i7 and probably would not pay for the higher unless I am forced to because of other features (backlighting).

littvay
Jun 12, 2011, 04:29 PM
Upgrading the ram thru apple is easy enough should it come standard with 2gigs....

As long as we have options at the time of the purchase. Once you purchase you cannot upgrade on the Air. Different from other Macs.

littvay
Jun 12, 2011, 04:31 PM
:eek: Please explain that statement - it really makes no sense.

Fair enough. The instant on, instant to where you were, going from full screen app to full screen app features are said to use the SSD a lot. Instead of keeping all that stuff in RAM, they keep the info in SSD. Without an SSD (like with a hard drive) these switches will not be so instant.

At least that is what I read. If it is true, it also means that Lion will be very efficient with RAM, so Apple might not feel the need to offer 4GB as default.

kppolich
Jun 12, 2011, 04:40 PM
upgrade processors? is there any sign of a RAM upgrade/update? or ssd change?

littvay
Jun 12, 2011, 04:41 PM
For many people, the MacBook is still better than base 11" MBA for getting their (school?) work done.

It has a bigger screeen (not everyone wants to stare at 11" for hours on end), comes with hard-drive for more storage (this is a big one), comes with optical drive, it's white, it's pretty solid.

I don't disagree with the fact that many people might prefer the current MB. But the trends point in a different direction. Stronger body construction, portability are becoming more and more important. SSD is becoming more important. CDs are going out of style. iCloud will give us more off site storage. This is a big disappointment of mine. I was hoping I can just keep all my music, movies/videos, pictures, documents, books up there, but it does not seem to be the case at launch. But imagine if you could. Wouldn't 32GB be enough on site? Storing non-immediately needed stuff in the cloud is where we are heading.

Now consider who is running the company. Didn't Steve Jobs tell people based on less compelling reasons that you actually do not need something (like a CD, hard drive or a bigger screen). :)

Besides, if you want a CD, buy one. If you want a bigger screen the Air and 13" Pro is not much more expensive. And if you want more storage, iCloud will sell you an upgrade for the low price of... by the way, have you heard of our Matching service?

Not to mention I am sure Apple just loves dealing with another manufacturing process (that they really should not have to). Haven't you heard they just recalled a bunch of plastic MB parts? Not to mention, how many people are rubbing their hands saying, as soon as that next plastic thing comes out, I'll upgrade. Everyone is salivating over the aluminium products, even if they cannot afford it. But if an extra $200 causes a problem for you, you will 1, buy refurbs (if you know of them), 2, keep what you have longer and 3, buy whatever they offer at the lowest price point.

With all due respect to your specific preferences (which are very legitimate), you are in the minority and there is no reason to keep the MB alive from a technology, vision and business perspective. I'd like to hear your thoughts based on these arguments.

littvay
Jun 12, 2011, 04:44 PM
Here's a very good reason:

Actually, while everyone tossed out that Apple already said Lion will be free, nobody is answering the why question. Here's why:

Apple does not want people to hold off their purchase to save the price of the OS. Not to mention, if you buy the laptop now, you are forced to dig into the Mac App Store. The latter is actually a compelling reason to release hardware BEFORE Lion comes out AND offer the upgrade free.

littvay
Jun 12, 2011, 04:46 PM

So much? We are looking at an arguable downgrade of graphics, a decent upgrade of CPU and RAM is seriously lagging behind all products. Thunderbold? WTF is Thunderbolt. Does anyone know how to use it? :) (Yeah, I am salivating over the prospects too, but lets face it, it comes with 0 utility to us now.) But could could end up being right. Lets hope not.

littvay
Jun 12, 2011, 04:46 PM

See my post above on the Why question.

littvay
Jun 12, 2011, 04:48 PM

Wait. Seriously. Very much worth it!!

trims
Jun 12, 2011, 04:51 PM
Fair enough. The instant on, instant to where you were, going from full screen app to full screen app features are said to use the SSD a lot. Instead of keeping all that stuff in RAM, they keep the info in SSD. Without an SSD (like with a hard drive) these switches will not be so instant.

At least that is what I read. If it is true, it also means that Lion will be very efficient with RAM, so Apple might not feel the need to offer 4GB as default.

What's the big deal? OEM RAM isn't that expensive. Take a look at the bestseller lists at Amazon etc. Find me a notebook that is more expensive than the MBA and has 2GB RAM or less. Or even half the price.

Only Ebenezer Scrooge would install less than 4GB in such a premium laptop product ;)

islanders
Jun 12, 2011, 04:56 PM
This actually seems to be the direction they are going. When the MacBook Air is updated, its specs will make it far above the level of the white MacBook. MacBook Airs as the base and MacBook Pros as the high end. There really isn't that much of a price difference between the two. $999 vs. $1199

Or they could drop the Macbook to $799 with an upgrade. Would be a good option for people who don't spend their last dime on the latest upgrade.

Flip2gig
Jun 12, 2011, 05:01 PM
No. Tablet PC laptops entered the market years ago, and have never had any tremendous gains in capturing the market. Those were not multi-touch because you would only interact with it at a single point with a stylus.

At what frequency do you see people using a tablet PC laptop these days? Like netbooks, they are "junky" and Apple has repeatedly stated that they will not follow the PC market in areas that are "junky". There is a good reason why they are on the decline.

Tablets haven't yet caught on because of "junky" software. People naturally want to write and draw, it's what we've been doing for some 5000 years now. Advances in multi-touch can allow for two finger gestures like drag and zoom while still holding a stylus.

I'm also a realist, typing is essential so a fullsize keyboard in a small space is a must, the 11" Air hits this sweet spot. Now why not add multi-touch and stylus support if the technology is here?

How many iPad owners sometimes wish they could just pop a pen out of the side of their machine to write or draw on their display? Or maybe just flip open, slide out, however to a full-size legitimate keyboard.

The Air can provide all the features of an iPad as well as running full fledged OSX. Maybe it's just me but there's so much potential for a next great product when melding an 11" Air, Tablet, and an iPad into one machine. Good software goes withought saying...

OatmealRocks
Jun 12, 2011, 05:07 PM
Engadget has updated their post about the MBA being released.

According to them, their source 'Chronic' have now said it was a mistake about them saying the MBA will be released this Wednesday.

nizmoz
Jun 12, 2011, 05:13 PM
Haha....mistaken? More like spewing bs before they even knew.

-----

Update: iPhone hacker Chronic claims the MacBook Air refresh could appear as soon as Wednesday morning.

Update 2: Never mind -- Chronic says his sources were mistaken about the MacBook Air on Wednesday

nebulos
Jun 12, 2011, 05:24 PM

Wow. You have no idea what you are talking about.

matznentosh
Jun 12, 2011, 05:50 PM

Data on the specs? I've heard the sandy bridge plus built in graphics adds up to about the same perceived speed. Glad to hear if I'm wrong, can you give any info on how it's likely to really play out?

macsamillionjoe
Jun 12, 2011, 06:05 PM
Lol another "false rumor". Man I was really excited about getting one this Wed.. Guess i'm just gonna have to go with the 13 Mbp..

fkhan3
Jun 12, 2011, 06:37 PM
Lol another "false rumor". Man I was really excited about getting one this Wed.. Guess i'm just gonna have to go with the 13 Mbp..

At least wait till Wed, who knows, Apple my surprise us :D

ECUpirate44
Jun 12, 2011, 06:52 PM
Why?

Because it's a laptop, imagine how useless and annoying a touch screen would be.

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 06:52 PM

Care to back that claim up with any actual facts?

The tablet PC laptop market (not to be confused with handheld tablets) is dying.

NurJahan
Jun 12, 2011, 06:56 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Pretty bummed that Chronic made such a huge mistake....so I guess no MBA release? It seemed to soon anyway, with production starting just recently.

KPOM
Jun 12, 2011, 06:57 PM

We know it's coming eventually. If you want the Air, my advice is to wait for it, even if it's another month or two. You won't regret it.

Analog Kid
Jun 12, 2011, 07:02 PM
Wait... Why are unlocked iPhones being treated like "oh, nevermind"?! Shouldn't this be a significant story in its own right?

KnightWRX
Jun 12, 2011, 07:04 PM
Wait... Why are unlocked iPhones being treated like "oh, nevermind"?! Shouldn't this be a significant story in its own right?

Why ? We have had unlocked iPhones since June 2010... oh wait, you're in the US. :D

Tilpots
Jun 12, 2011, 07:20 PM
Because it's a laptop, imagine how useless and annoying a touch screen would be.

Don't think iPad and iPhone users are annoyed with their touchscreens. Face it, apps are useful and are part of my everyday routine just as much as a full computer is. Can't figure out why people wouldn't want the best of both worlds on one machine. Bootcamp was a huge leap, Lion will be a huge leap because it's incorporating iOS features, so the next logical step is one machine that can do both. If a MBA folded completely over so that the keyboard ended up behind the screen, we'd be in business. If folks can find the utility in that, not sure what else to tell ya.

iRun26.2
Jun 12, 2011, 07:26 PM

I, too, look forward to the time when the MBA gets a 'Retina Display', like the iPhone 4 (where you can no longer see the individual pixels on the screen). It is a good observation of your's that the newest refresh of the MBA won't have this (since Lion would be required for a Retina Display). It does seem too early for a major screen upgrade, but that would guarantee I upgrade to the the new MBA...

The only other feature that would make me upgrade immediately would be the return of the backlit keyboard.

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 07:34 PM
Face it, apps are useful and are part of my everyday routine just as much as a full computer is. Can't figure out why people wouldn't want the best of both worlds on one machine. Bootcamp was a huge leap, Lion will be a huge leap because it's incorporating iOS features, so the next logical step is one machine that can do both.

Apps (applications, programs, games, etc) were on computers long before these handheld devices even existed.

You can get iOS apps in the Mac App Store.

Bootcamp was practical because it made the two separate worlds Mac and PC compatible. Why do iOS and OS need to be bridged like this?

Sankersizzle
Jun 12, 2011, 07:37 PM
Almost as disappointed with this news being false as I was with WWDC.

iRun26.2
Jun 12, 2011, 07:39 PM
Actually, I'm extremely happy with my 13" Ultimate MBA from last year- so much so that I find the news just to be "meh." I guess it's good news for those that don't already have a MBA? If I was in that position tho, I might try to save a few hundred and buy a 2010 refurb. They're really THAT good.

I'm also very happy with the 11.6" MBA that I purchased last year. I use it all the time and greatly enjoy it's portabiity and quickness. While I wouldn't have wanted to waited until now to get the SB model, I am kind of jealous of the improved CPU power and battery life that the new model will bring.

I probably need more than just the SB and TB improvements to get me to upgrade.

Tilpots
Jun 12, 2011, 07:50 PM
Bootcamp was practical because it made the two separate worlds Mac and PC compatible. Why do iOS and OS need to be bridged like this?

Steve Jobs laid it out pretty well in this last keynote. The things people do on their iOS devices make sense to bring to their full computer usage. Most apps for iOS devices are magnitudes more popular than their counterpart computer applications. Why? Ease of use. iOS apps make tasks dead simple, quick and efficient.

Just look at the explosive popularity of the iPad. People have found it so useful that Apple has had to change their entire ecosystem to suit the needs of users who ONLY have iOS devices. But many of us still need that full computer component to complete some tasks. Why not let us serve both needs with one device? That rumor a week ago about ARM MBAs in the wild is a sign of things to come. ARM processors are fast enough for most daily tasks and could get us by for those few instances when full computing capabilities are required.

It makes perfect sense for Apple to marry the two OSs into one device because it would be a superior device, both to an iPad or MBA. Despite all the iCloud and iTunes stuff, they're a hardware company first. Make superior hardware, dominate the market.

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 07:58 PM
It makes perfect sense for Apple to marry the two OSs into one device because it would be a superior device, both to an iPad or MBA.

There's a difference between having one OS with iOS-like features and having a dual boot set up.

OS and iOS are evolving together, not apart. A dual boot would be conducive for two entirely separate systems. What's going to happen is that there is one day going to be an OS that has many, many similar features to its iOS counterpart. But they won't inherently separate themselves.

MartiNZ
Jun 12, 2011, 08:00 PM
Tablets haven't yet caught on because of "junky" software. People naturally want to write and draw, it's what we've been doing for some 5000 years now. Advances in multi-touch can allow for two finger gestures like drag and zoom while still holding a stylus.

I'm also a realist, typing is essential so a fullsize keyboard in a small space is a must, the 11" Air hits this sweet spot. Now why not add multi-touch and stylus support if the technology is here?

How many iPad owners sometimes wish they could just pop a pen out of the side of their machine to write or draw on their display? Or maybe just flip open, slide out, however to a full-size legitimate keyboard.

The Air can provide all the features of an iPad as well as running full fledged OSX. Maybe it's just me but there's so much potential for a next great product when melding an 11" Air, Tablet, and an iPad into one machine. Good software goes withought saying...

I find this -really- interesting. I'm pretty much the opposite to this, writing and drawing are far less natural to me now than typing and mousing. I see people taking handwritten notes in meetings and such; I find it very difficult - not only do I no longer like writing, but it just adds an extra step, as most of the time such things will be typed up.

Okay for those that still do a lot of writing, perhaps that would make sense; I've never understood the sense of the stylus interfaces myself. And I no longer think its a negative to lose that writing tendency in general - that's how far it has gone :).

Tilpots
Jun 12, 2011, 08:07 PM
There's a difference between having one OS with iOS-like features and having a dual boot set up.

OS and iOS are evolving together, not apart. A dual boot would be conducive for two entirely separate systems. What's going to happen is that there is one day going to be an OS that has many, many similar features to its iOS counterpart. But they won't inherently separate themselves.

It doesn't matter if they coexist or launch separately. I don't know what they'd call it or how it'd work. What's important is to be able to use the functionality of both on one device.

KnightWRX
Jun 12, 2011, 08:08 PM
It doesn't matter if they coexist or launch separately. I don't know what they'd call it or how it'd work. What's important is to be able to use the functionality of both on one device.

Functionality of both ? OS X can do everything iOS can and more. There's just no extra functionality to wish for. Waste of SSD space. Both OSes already share the same core and many of the same sub-systems. Only the top most UI is different and it is for a reason : different input paradigms. On a laptop, there's no point in having the iOS UI layer. What they are doing in Lion brings the same UI stuff in a usable form on a laptop and that's enough.

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 08:13 PM

That's what I've been saying. There's no need to have two separate OSs to get the optimum functionality. Using a dual boot set up (like you have been suggesting) implies two separate systems that don't crossover.

What would be more progressive and practical in the years to come? Having two separate systems in which Apple and developers have to publish software twice, for two different markets? Or one system in which Apple and developers can publish software once, to be used in both types of devices?

42streetsdown
Jun 12, 2011, 08:15 PM
it's too bad that the rumor didn't pan out. i was looking forward to getting myself one.

Tilpots
Jun 12, 2011, 08:25 PM
Functionality of both ? OS X can do everything iOS can and more. There's just no extra functionality to wish for. Waste of SSD space. Both OSes already share the same core and many of the same sub-systems. Only the top most UI is different and it is for a reason : different input paradigms. On a laptop, there's no point in having the iOS UI layer. What they are doing in Lion brings the same UI stuff in a usable form on a laptop and that's enough.

Not really. The lack of a touchscreen, accelerometer, gyroscope and the like on an OSX device leaves it without many of iOS devices most useful features. One device to serve both iOS and OSX functions, that's all I'm talking about.

42streetsdown
Jun 12, 2011, 08:28 PM
Not really. The lack of a touchscreen, accelerometer, gyroscope and the like on an OSX device leaves it without many of iOS devices most useful features. One device to serve both iOS and OSX functions, that's all I'm talking about.

it'll never happen. You're talking about two separate markets. Apple would rather sell you two devices. it's more profitable that way.

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 08:32 PM

Do you have any idea how small the percentage of MacBook (MB, Air, and Pro) owners who need that hardware and are unwilling to purchase an iOS device is?

It would be a terrible strategy to create a product for an ultra-niche market that would inevitably cannibalize sales of one of its most successful products.

cleric
Jun 12, 2011, 08:35 PM
1) built-in 3G
But you own an iPhone4..... do you carry the MacBook Air more than the phone I don't.

Tilpots
Jun 12, 2011, 08:53 PM
it'll never happen. You're talking about two separate markets. Apple would rather sell you two devices. it's more profitable that way.

The profits follow the best, most capable hardware.

It would be a terrible strategy to create a product for an ultra-niche market that would inevitably cannibalize sales of one of its most successful products.

Like a phone that could play music?

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 08:54 PM
Like a phone that could play music?

How many people listen to music?

How many people legitimately need accelerometers and gyroscopes?

Tilpots
Jun 12, 2011, 09:01 PM
How many people listen to music?

How many people legitimately need accelerometers and gyroscopes?

Millions and millions according to iPhone, iPod touch and iPad sales.

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 09:02 PM
Millions and millions according to iPhone, iPod touch and iPad sales.

And those sales number point out those needs...where?

Users who listen to music far exceed those who legitimately need an accelerometer or gyroscope. The point is, you can't use music as an example because it's not a niche market.

Tilpots
Jun 12, 2011, 09:06 PM
And those sales number point out those needs...where?

Users who listen to music far exceeds those who legitimately need an accelerometer or gyroscope.

Sorry, I'm totally missing your point.

iRun26.2
Jun 12, 2011, 09:08 PM
Why do you want a retina display in a Mac? How close are you holding it in front of your eyes? Same as your phone? :) :p

At a reasonable distance I can see the individual pixels. Therefore, they are too big.

nebulos
Jun 12, 2011, 09:14 PM

Care to back that claim up with any actual facts?

The tablet PC laptop market (not to be confused with handheld tablets) is dying.

Touch tablets have been around and your standard tablet PC was never junk. In fact, they've always been more or less premium laptops, with premium prices, which is probably the main reason they never took off. It's been a niche market for a while now; Lenovo, Toshiba, Fujitsu, etc., all continue to make tablet PCs, so I don't know about this decline you're talking about.

Have you ever even used one of these machines?

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 09:17 PM

Have you ever even used on of these machines?

Extensively.

Have you seen the sales numbers in the past few years?

Walk into a big-box retailer and compare the number of tablet PC laptops for sale vs traditional laptops. And in a year or so compare the number tablet PC laptops to handheld tablets.

iRun26.2
Jun 12, 2011, 09:17 PM
That ship has long sailed. Apple would never do it (even ignoring the significant re-engineering of the MacBook it would require).

It amazes me that so many people think it is somehow logical for Apple to sell a laptop with a detachable 'ipad' screen. I think that notion is silly: Apple want people to buy both!

iRun26.2
Jun 12, 2011, 09:20 PM
With 4G on the horizon?

And this argument (3G /4G) alone is why I think they will do neither.

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 09:21 PM
Sorry, I'm totally missing your point.

Millions of people use cell phones. Millions of people listen to music. It's a no-brainer to combine the two.

Now, how many people (who are unwilling to buy an iOS device) legitimately need an accelerometer and gyroscope in their laptop? That number would not be statistically significant.

Tilpots
Jun 12, 2011, 09:29 PM
Millions of people use cell phones. Millions of people listen to music. It's a no-brainer to combine the two.

Now, how many people (who are unwilling to buy an iOS device) legitimately need an accelerometer and gyroscope in their laptop? That number would not be statistically significant.

By your own logic, millions use iOS devices and millions use OSX devices. Combining the two is a no-brainer. Exactly what I've been saying!

Who would rather buy 2 deices when they could buy 1? Who "needs" music as you suggest? It's not about needs, it's about wants. People want functionality. Apple has proven again and again that they understand that and they deliver. I'm sure they will do it again. Soon. Maybe not this release, but it won't be long.

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 09:30 PM
By your own logic, millions use iOS devices and millions use OSX devices. Combining the two is a no-brainer. Exactly what I've been saying!

No, you've been suggesting dual boot.

nebulos
Jun 12, 2011, 09:32 PM

Have you ever even used on of these machines?

Extensively.

Have you seen the sales numbers in the past few years?

Walk into a big-box retailer and compare the number of tablet PC laptops for sale vs traditional laptops. And in a year or so compare the number tablet PC laptops to handheld tablets.

If so, I really don't get the 'junk' statement.

No, I haven't seen the sales numbers; But I've never seen a tablet PC in a store at all. That's nothing new. (Yes, we can all see the new (touch) tablet wave; It's not relevant here though.)

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 09:33 PM

If so, I really don't get the 'junk' statement.

Hinges, swivel, excess strain, added weight, etc.

Tilpots
Jun 12, 2011, 09:49 PM
No, you've been suggesting dual boot.

Amongst other ways of running both OSs on one device. Again, your point?

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2011, 10:02 PM
Amongst other ways of running both OSs on one device. Again, your point?

The point is you were adamant on one machine specifically running a dual boot set up, even when other posters explained how illogical that would be.

The "amongst other ways" that you are now referring to are the ways that I have already explained; two OSs that evolve and coexist together, not systems that run in separate, dual booted environments with zero compatibility.

Tilpots
Jun 12, 2011, 10:26 PM
The point is you were adamant on one machine specifically running a dual boot set up, even when other posters explained how illogical that would be.

The "amongst other ways" that you are now referring to are the ways that I have already explained; two OSs that evolve and coexist together, not systems that run in separate, dual booted environments with zero compatibility.

A little reading comprehension goes a long way:

It makes perfect sense for Apple to marry the two OSs into one device because it would be a superior device, both to an iPad or MBA.

One device to serve both iOS and OSX functions, that's all I'm talking about.

OatmealRocks
Jun 12, 2011, 11:07 PM
lol @ above poster. Not even gonna bother explaining it.