PDA

View Full Version : Back to School Promotion to Finally Launch on Wednesday?

MacRumors
Jun 12, 2011, 10:20 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/12/back-to-school-promotion-to-finally-launch-on-wednesday/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/apple_bts_2010.jpg

Last year's Back to School promo
For the third time in the past four weeks, we're hearing rumors of the imminent launch Apple's Back to School promotion. The first claim expected the promo (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/17/apples-back-to-school-promo-starting-next-week/) to kick off the last week of May as it had in previous years. Then, WWDC was listed (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/27/apple-to-announce-back-to-school-promotion-at-wwdc-ipad-discounts-included/) as the possible launch day. Both dates have come and gone with no mention of Apple's popular promotion.

Now, @Chronicwire (http://twitter.com/#!/chronicwire/status/79884748083838977), the same source as the MacBook Air rumor (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/11/new-macbook-air-due-this-wednesday/), claims that Back to School is going to kick off on the same day.LEAK: Apple Store displays will be updated Tuesday night for the Back To School promo, starting Wednesday, alongside the new MacBook Airs.We've also heard whispers, as has 9to5Mac (http://www.9to5mac.com/71691/apple-updating-apple-store-displays-on-tuesday-night-new-product-launch-on-wednesday/), about the Tuesday night visual refresh at Apple retail stores, but haven't had any confirmation on the contents.

@Chronicwire is a relatively new source for Apple information, though its believed they do have legitimate sources for information. We'll find out on Wednesday.

Article Link: Back to School Promotion to Finally Launch on Wednesday? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/12/back-to-school-promotion-to-finally-launch-on-wednesday/)

ratzzo
Jun 12, 2011, 10:24 AM
I sure hope so! Also hoping that what they said about slashing iPad cost on this promotion is true. Bring it on :cool:

Roller
Jun 12, 2011, 10:25 AM
Maybe the MBA rumor is true after all... we'll know Wed.

normal
Jun 12, 2011, 10:28 AM
Does the 'Back to School' promotions normally start at the same time in the UK, as in the US?

Mikedict
Jun 12, 2011, 10:34 AM
Anyone know if the Back to School promo is for all countries.

afd
I hope so. I have a dead G5 iMac that I've been waiting to replace for a month or so.

daynel
I ordered my MBP last week on tuesday, I've read in other BTS threads I can just call up apple and they'll send me a free ipod retroactively becase I'm in a 14 day window

Correct?

famousshots
Does the back to school promotion only work when you purchase through the education store or can anyone get the ipod promo?

SdPunk
Jun 12, 2011, 10:35 AM
I sure hope so! Also hoping that what they said about slashing iPad cost on this promotion is true. Bring it on :cool:

I agree!! I am hoping they offer the discounted iPad as well. I have to get the better half her new MacBook Pro, so this came just in time. :D

pyro008
Jun 12, 2011, 10:36 AM
They'll probably release the iPhone with this promotion.

macbwizard
Jun 12, 2011, 10:36 AM
Does the back to school promotion only work when you purchase through the education store or can anyone get the ipod promo?

It applies in the retail stores as well, but yes, you do need to qualify for the EDU pricing to qualify for this promotion.

NinjaHERO
Jun 12, 2011, 10:37 AM
It will be cool to see a MBA refresh. I love my pro, but I am really thinking about a MBA for my next machine.

PackFan
Jun 12, 2011, 10:41 AM
"Finally"?

Summer hasn't even officially started yet...

famousshots
Jun 12, 2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks, I was just ordering a new iMac and I saw this post so I was wondering if I should wait until Wednesday. However, I am not a student so is there any reason to wait?

Samuriajackon
Jun 12, 2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks, I was just ordering a new iMac and I saw this post so I was wondering if I should wait until Wednesday. However, I am not a student so is there any reason to wait?

What was the last years special? I was out of college and missed it.

ratzzo
Jun 12, 2011, 10:43 AM

You could ask a student (maybe a family member) to do it for you and you'll get the promo.

By the way, does anyone know if this 'stacks' with the 15% off?

garylapointe
Jun 12, 2011, 10:44 AM
It's way past time for a MacBook refresh too. It's been 390 days since an update (average is closer to 175).

They can't keep acting like they've got a $999 laptop, when it's this far gone out of date.

It's time to update it or remove it from the product line.

Gary
http://GarySaid.com/

YumChickens
Jun 12, 2011, 10:44 AM
I hope so. I'm tired of waiting.

DJJAZZYJET
Jun 12, 2011, 10:47 AM
then i relalised that it might be wednesday. finally, some good news :D

keewawa
Jun 12, 2011, 10:48 AM
I hope so. I'm tired of waiting.

Exactly, have been waiting so long :mad:

sumone
Jun 12, 2011, 10:53 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.

nightfly13
Jun 12, 2011, 10:59 AM
Even though I hope they do include iPads with the $199 rebate program, I doubt they will, because supply is still tight. I'm just using my imagination, but why didn't they include iPads last year? Likely because they were still selling as fast as they could make them. Same situation this year, so I'm preparing myself not to be disappointed when iPads aren't included.

Too bad, since I'm in the market for an iMac and and iPad 2, and have been waiting for this..

Do we have confirmation that the 14-day grace period is confirmed to work? Did someone do that last year and get the deal?

ranReloaded
Jun 12, 2011, 11:02 AM
In any case, what's wrong with my bowels these days? I could power the 'Mother Ship' all by my self!

Dr McKay
Jun 12, 2011, 11:06 AM
Who holds an iPod touch like that? Lol. It'd be going haywire.

kikuchiyo
Jun 12, 2011, 11:08 AM
Hopefully the 11" MBA qualifies for the discount/iPod.

fkhan3
Jun 12, 2011, 11:09 AM
It's way past time for a MacBook refresh too. It's been 390 days since an update (average is closer to 175).

They can't keep acting like they've got a $999 laptop, when it's this far gone out of date.

Gary
http://GarySaid.com/

Rumor is that Apple will update Macbook Airs on wed. They may also refresh other product lines like Mac Pro and Macbook.

Bob Coxner
Jun 12, 2011, 11:11 AM

If you order online there's no proof of being a student required. Just click through the Education Store link on the left side of the home page.

Gemütlichkeit
Jun 12, 2011, 11:14 AM

came in to say this haha

radiohead14
Jun 12, 2011, 11:21 AM

i was thinkin.. what if the wednesday rumor is indeed true and apple releases the new macbook air, but it will be named just macbook. the poly macbook seems out of place now with the air and pro having overlaps with it. the only thing apple could do with it now, is to either refresh it with sandy bridge and drop the price another $100 or so, or redesign it to have a thinner poly (or carbon) body, and add the black option again

sbb155
Jun 12, 2011, 11:26 AM
how long, in previous years, was it to get the rebate, and did anyone NOT get it?

coop
Jun 12, 2011, 11:31 AM
Crossing my fingers! Hope this rumor is true :-)

Jefferyd32
Jun 12, 2011, 11:32 AM
Does the B2S sale usually include a mac mini? I am hoping for a refresh soon and the extra Ipod would be a nice bonus.

famousshots
Jun 12, 2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks everyone. I stopped my order and I will wait until Wednesday to see what happens. My sister and nephew are both in college so maybe I could use one of them for the rebate?

jlc1978
Jun 12, 2011, 11:36 AM

Generally it's been education only but Apple is pretty liberal about what qualifies for edu discount - I've heard aunts/uncles/grandparents buy at edu prices.

As a side note, some Best Buys matched Apple's edu prices and iPod deal with their own offer of $200 of a combined purchase.

jlc1978
Jun 12, 2011, 11:37 AM
I agree!! I am hoping they offer the discounted iPad as well. I have to get the better half her new MacBook Pro, so this came just in time. :D

I hope they do as well; but since they also seem to use the sale to clear out iPods prior to a fall refresh I'm not holding my breath.

I'me getting someone a MBP as a graduation gift and would love $200 off an iPad.

theman123
Jun 12, 2011, 11:42 AM
"Finally"?

Summer hasn't even officially started yet...

Many students begin summer classes over the next 7-14 days.

bigandtasty
Jun 12, 2011, 11:43 AM
Let's hope it's true! Stoked on Sandy Bridge MBA'

RobQuads
Jun 12, 2011, 11:48 AM
I would have thought they would have waited for the B2S to finished before released the new Macbook Air - Ideal time to get rid of the old stock when there are offers on and then once the offer is finished release the new one

iCody3
Jun 12, 2011, 11:54 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.
Haha same here. its been supposed to be happening for awhile now!

twoodcc
Jun 12, 2011, 11:58 AM
sounds good. maybe wednesday will be a big day? any more refreshes? mac mini?

Combat Rock
Jun 12, 2011, 12:01 PM
hype on top of hype on top of hype on top of hype

apple1865
Jun 12, 2011, 12:03 PM
Does the B2S sale usually include a mac mini? I am hoping for a refresh soon and the extra Ipod would be a nice bonus.
Not usually.

apple1865
Jun 12, 2011, 12:04 PM
This all makes sense. If Apple started the B2S program 2 weeks ago and then released new MBAs this Wednesday, anyone who got a MBA would be returning them like crazy so they could get a newer one.

NutsNGum
Jun 12, 2011, 12:05 PM
hype on top of hype on top of hype on top of hype

Hypeburger!

T'hain Esh Kelch
Jun 12, 2011, 12:18 PM
I ordered my MBP last week on tuesday, I've read in other BTS threads I can just call up apple and they'll send me a free ipod retroactively becase I'm in a 14 day window

Correct?
No, the iPod has to be on the same receipt, as far as I am aware. Says so in other threads too..

You could ask a student (maybe a family member) to do it for you and you'll get the promo.

By the way, does anyone know if this 'stacks' with the 15% off?
If you mean the 12% AoC rebate, then yes.

theRkid
Jun 12, 2011, 12:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi, if I bought my Macbook Pro today, xould i just buy show them my reciept from today to get an iPod, or would i have to return everything and buy it again?

appleguy123
Jun 12, 2011, 12:22 PM

No. The Mac Mini has never been included.

theRkid
Jun 12, 2011, 12:23 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi, if I bought my Macbook Pro today, xould i just buy show them my reciept from today to get an iPod, or would i have to return everything and buy it again?

Sorry, I think my question has been answered...

Vudoo
Jun 12, 2011, 12:24 PM

Technically you would have to return everything and buy it again with the iPod on the same receipt.

taxiapple
Jun 12, 2011, 12:28 PM
When you order a computer you get a printer free $100 printer(after rebate) or $100 credit if getting a more expensive printer.

As with the free iPod, everything has to be on the same order.

Many people are aware of the free printer promo, but it amazes my how many people I know who have bought Apple computers and have not taken advantage of the program.

The free printer promo is for any computer purchase (even refurbs), not just if you are a student or buying through the education store. Purchase online, phone or in an Apple store.

IndyGopher
Jun 12, 2011, 12:37 PM
If you order online there's no proof of being a student required. Just click through the Education Store link on the left side of the home page.

Just so you know, they do randomly verify it by calling and asking you to fax proof of enrollment or employment. And since they have your credit card number, and your agreement saying you qualify or will pay the difference, they have both the ability and the contractual right to charge the difference if you can't or won't provide the proof. Probably don't do it often, but I have had to fax proof twice in the last 15 years or so.

freddiculous
Jun 12, 2011, 12:49 PM
Just so you know, they do randomly verify it by calling and asking you to fax proof of enrollment or employment. And since they have your credit card number, and your agreement saying you qualify or will pay the difference, they have both the ability and the contractual right to charge the difference if you can't or won't provide the proof. Probably don't do it often, but I have had to fax proof twice in the last 15 years or so.

I've ordered last three promos online. They never ask for proof nor do they call.. Apple runs through an honor system and they trust that you are a student. I graduated yesterday been waiting on this deal i hope this one is true. Well apple managers are allowed to open the promotion boxes tuesday.. I hope an employee looks in the boxes and leaks it out to mac rumors so i can finally stop waiting and be 100% sure its the back to school promo!!!

motoracer1486
Jun 12, 2011, 12:50 PM
just so you know, they do randomly verify it by calling and asking you to fax proof of enrollment or employment. And since they have your credit card number, and your agreement saying you qualify or will pay the difference, they have both the ability and the contractual right to charge the difference if you can't or won't provide the proof. Probably don't do it often, but i have had to fax proof twice in the last 15 years or so.

bs.

angryshortguy
Jun 12, 2011, 01:01 PM
I suppose if you post an article every week for the next two months, you're bound to get it right eventually...

Anyone have actual proof that the BTS promotion starts next week?
Aside from speculation and guessing, do you have a legit source?
One that hasn't been proven wrong time and time again?

Sorry, feeling grumpy (not quite angry yet).

Want a free ipod touch to replace the original one I bought on day one.
I know, greedy. So what?

Need to pick up a MBP 13 or MBA 13 for my new Master's program.
Decisions, decisions...

Lann
Jun 12, 2011, 01:25 PM
i really want this to be true. I feel drained after waiting so long.

carldavidguta
Jun 12, 2011, 01:26 PM
If :apple: are bringing back the backlit keyboard on the new MBAs my VISA card will go swish boom gadzooooooom!!! :p

doctor-don
Jun 12, 2011, 01:39 PM
"to finally"?

I finally, he finally, you finally, we finally, they finally?

Since when is finally a verb?

Maybe Apple should take a cue from M$ and give away a GAMING device ... since all one needs for college is a computer and games ... with all that spare time.

charlituna
Jun 12, 2011, 01:40 PM

It's false. the iPad is NOT being included in the BtS. they can't keep steady stock and they don't want the CS nightmare of actually enforcing the whole 'while supplies last' rule and refusing to do exchanges on ipads cause someone bought whatever they could get for the rebate and then a month later can finally find the one they want and is demanding an exchange (despite the policy being 2 weeks anyway)

Also according to my sources, there's no visual changeout. A few folks are staying late to update the software that is running those smart signs (which were crashing on a fairly regular basis) and putting new demo content on the devices and computers (which they do like every quarter anyway) plus some general cable clean up. But that's all.

iRobz
Jun 12, 2011, 01:46 PM
Hope they release the rumoured upgraded time machines Wednesday too. If they do I'm in the market to buy some high priced fruity goodness.

ynewmarc
Jun 12, 2011, 02:10 PM
Would refurbish laptop qualify for this promo ?

jonnysods
Jun 12, 2011, 02:32 PM
Dang. I already purchased a new 13" 3 weeks ago...!

Oh well, very happy!

appleguy123
Jun 12, 2011, 02:34 PM
"to finally"?

Maybe Apple should take a cue from M$ and give away a GAMING device ... since all one needs for college is a computer and games ... with all that spare time.

Finally is an adverb launch is the verb. Although you shouldn't split infinitives, it's quite common in English.

Sparced
Jun 12, 2011, 02:37 PM
The next iMac update using the 280 day rule would be February 7th.

I could go without a new machine for the first few months of college I think. You're mostly being taught stuff rather than expected to produce too many projects. December and January is when it becomes inconvenient. I wish there was more than one update every year.

What could we see in next year's model?

DCJ001
Jun 12, 2011, 02:54 PM
"to finally"?

"Finally" is not a verb.

Back to School Promotion to (Finally) Launch on Wednesday?

If someone explains the English language to you over and over and over again, you might finally understand it.

Apple 26.2
Jun 12, 2011, 02:56 PM
I suppose if you post an article every week for the next two months, you're bound to get it right eventually...

Anyone have actual proof that the BTS promotion starts next week?
Aside from speculation and guessing, do you have a legit source?
One that hasn't been proven wrong time and time again?

Sorry, feeling grumpy (not quite angry yet).

Want a free ipod touch to replace the original one I bought on day one.
I know, greedy. So what?

Need to pick up a MBP 13 or MBA 13 for my new Master's program.
Decisions, decisions...

You are aware this is rumors website, yes? Sometimes they're spot on, other times, well... just rumors.

Enjoy your new toys if & when you get them!

zedsdead
Jun 12, 2011, 02:56 PM
The next iMac update using the 280 day rule would be February 7th.

I could go without a new machine for the first few months of college I think. You're mostly being taught stuff rather than expected to produce too many projects. December and January is when it becomes inconvenient. I wish there was more than one update every year.

What could we see in next year's model?

Ivy Bridge processors, possibly USB 3.0. They aren't due until the spring though, so there might not be an update until then. I wouldn't expect one in February.

Ulf1103
Jun 12, 2011, 02:59 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Soes anyone know how long the promotion will last?
When it will end?

Apple 26.2
Jun 12, 2011, 03:04 PM

Which is why a lot of people are saying iPads may be included in this year's BTS promo. Personally, I think Apple needs to do so in order to compete (whether you like them or not, bold move by Microsoft giving away an Xbox), but there's no way Apple can keep up with the added demand.

Guess we'll find out soon!

hcho3
Jun 12, 2011, 03:20 PM
Which is why a lot of people are saying iPads may be included in this year's BTS promo. Personally, I think Apple needs to do so in order to compete (whether you like them or not, bold move by Microsoft giving away an Xbox), but there's no way Apple can keep up with the added demand.

I personally would choose iPod touch over xbox.

Sodner
Jun 12, 2011, 03:23 PM
How about a MacBook refresh with this as well!?!?

ECUpirate44
Jun 12, 2011, 03:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

When it will end?

It ended sept 7 last year.

Ulf1103
Jun 12, 2011, 03:29 PM

When it will end?

Ooh damn.
I wanted to buy the next MacBook pro. But that on will probably only be there at the end of this year/beginning next year.

I think I'm gonna mis that promotion.

appleguy123
Jun 12, 2011, 03:35 PM

Ooh damn.
I wanted to buy the next MacBook pro. But that on will probably only be there at the end of this year/beginning next year.

It's back to school. Why would it last until new year?

kppolich
Jun 12, 2011, 03:51 PM
anyone remember how much it was to upgrade the free iTouch to 16 or 32GB??

Ulf1103
Jun 12, 2011, 03:56 PM

Ooh damn.

It's back to school. Why would it last until new year?

I don't know, I was just hoping to get the next MBP and a free iPod or 50% iPad.

Ps: I'm from Belgium and there the high schools/ universities start end september :)
So I think we (in Belgium) will see the BTS later.

Crunch
Jun 12, 2011, 03:59 PM
Why wouldn't the MacBook Air qualify? Of course it will and where did this iPad rebate rumor come from? They don't really have to do this student thing at all anymore but it's definitely cool that they do and they've never asked me for a student ID in the Apple stores that I've been to. :D

parker34
Jun 12, 2011, 04:01 PM
FWIW I bought my Macbook yesterday and asked about the Back to School promotion before i bought, and he said that if it starts within 2 weeks, I cold come back in and they could get me setup with an iPod.

appleguy123
Jun 12, 2011, 04:03 PM
anyone remember how much it was to upgrade the free iTouch to 16 or 32GB??

You pay the difference. It's just a rebate for the amount of the lower end iPod touch.

freddiculous
Jun 12, 2011, 04:13 PM
Well school thats on the quarter system or has summer session. Back to school would start next Monday so purchasing it this Tuesday to have it delivered Friday would be enough to set it up for Monday.

In iclarified.com it states that chronic person who ever that is mistaken himself and that it is not the back to school it's actually unlocked iPhones coming in this Wednesday WTF!!! It better be back to school I've been waiting for weeks

freddiculous
Jun 12, 2011, 04:15 PM
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=15545

This is the link to what I stated above everyone?!,!? What the!!

DeChrii
Jun 12, 2011, 04:49 PM

apple doesn't need to compete because they're fair. if you check Dell or hp etc, you'll see that they purposely charge pcs with free xbox more than just a pc w/o the xbox. they add almost 150 more meaning people who don't double check will end up buying a pc thinking that they received a free xbox when they actually payed for it. apple just gives you a rebate sent through mail which is actually "free". also if they include the 4th gen iPod, the cost of that is already more than the xbox. 230>200 :P

ChrisTX
Jun 12, 2011, 05:12 PM
Cue the iPhone 4[S] / 5 rumors, along side new iPod rumors as well. Now that this is starting up, this only means they're trying to sell through some inventory to get ready for new product.

applefan69
Jun 12, 2011, 05:25 PM
They'll probably release the iPhone with this promotion.

Actually no. Apple is going to make the iPhone 4 ridiculously cheap for this promotion, then after plenty new iPhone 4 users are happy and content Apple will release the iPhone 5. I can garuntee this, it is Apple's sales strategy and has been for several years.

kppolich
Jun 12, 2011, 05:41 PM
I'd have no problem with a cheaper iPhone.... its a good strategy from a business standpoint.

ChrisTX
Jun 12, 2011, 05:44 PM
Actually no. Apple is going to make the iPhone 4 ridiculously cheap for this promotion, then after plenty new iPhone 4 users are happy and content Apple will release the iPhone 5. I can garuntee this, it is Apple's sales strategy and has been for several years.

Actually the strategy has been announce a new version of iOS in the Spring, and get it ready for a June/July new iPhone announcement. However VZ threw a wrench into this strategy by getting the iPhone late in the game, so now we all play the waiting game.

iMikeT
Jun 12, 2011, 06:37 PM
I think the 2011 Back to School Promotion has officially replaced the old "PowerBook G5 this Tuesday" meme.

MacsOnAnabolics
Jun 12, 2011, 06:38 PM
Oh great... I hope this is true. I just bought a 15" MBP on June 1, 2011 and this wednesday is June 15. So that is the last day of my return policy so I can see the light! :D

runeapple
Jun 12, 2011, 06:54 PM
Who holds an iPod touch like that? Lol. It'd be going haywire.

That's because you're holding it wrong.

iKrl
Jun 12, 2011, 07:27 PM

So that means that the 4G iPod Touch was included with the promotion from the 1st of September? I remember they released the iPod touch a week later but can't remember if you could get it with the promotion as well.

toddybody
Jun 12, 2011, 07:56 PM
Crossin my fingers for the "buy a new iMac, get a MBA free" deal. Heres hoping:rolleyes:

Ieo
Jun 12, 2011, 09:34 PM
I hope they update the mini along with the air (if they update any hardware at all).....I could sell my current 2ghz C2D mini that I use as a media center on eBay, then fund the difference on a new mini with the free iPod. :p

appleguy123
Jun 12, 2011, 09:53 PM
I hope they update the mini along with the air (if they update any hardware at all).....I could sell my current 2ghz C2D mini that I use as a media center on eBay, then fund the difference on a new mini with the free iPod. :p

Mac Minis do not qualify for the free iPod.

Bonilla
Jun 13, 2011, 12:06 AM
That´s perfect I just bought a MBP 13 an it arrived on June 2, so Wendsday it will be my last day to get in time for the promo!
cheerS:D

Ieo
Jun 13, 2011, 12:24 AM
Mac Minis do not qualify for the free iPod.

Really? That's sort of stupid....it's a program for college students, but the most affordable mac doesn't qualify?

73CortinaV8
Jun 13, 2011, 01:19 AM
Why on earth would apple offer a discount on the ipad?

they cannot build them fast enough. Demand is much greater than supply.

appleguy123
Jun 13, 2011, 01:32 AM
Really? That's sort of stupid....it's a program for college students, but the most affordable mac doesn't qualify?

They probably would lose money on a $649 Mac Mini with $300(printer and iPod) worth of rebates.
However, a $649 MacBook Air is looking VERY tempting right now.

caspersoong
Jun 13, 2011, 02:44 AM
Hopefully MBA will be a complete overhaul.

Dr McKay
Jun 13, 2011, 04:18 AM
That's because you're holding it wrong.

Yes, that is the ideal way to hold a touchscreen device, with 4 fingers draped accross the screen.

Mackblack
Jun 13, 2011, 09:57 AM

chronicwire tweeted that unlocked iphones not macbook air on wed. guess I have to wait a little more for my sandy bridge MBA!...

nguyenvn
Jun 13, 2011, 10:32 AM
OSX Lion is gonna be released next month. I wonder if Apple would reimburse for OSX Lion for early purchasers of the new MBA? Or would it be wise to wait till July?

discounteggroll
Jun 13, 2011, 10:36 AM
Yes, that is the ideal way to hold a touchscreen device, with 4 fingers draped accross the screen.

she's obviously demonstrating multi-point touch interface

T'hain Esh Kelch
Jun 13, 2011, 10:39 AM
OSX Lion is gonna be released next month. I wonder if Apple would reimburse for OSX Lion for early purchasers of the new MBA? Or would it be wise to wait till July?
They do that for all models bought after the 6th of june..

zergy
Jun 13, 2011, 11:01 AM
Many students begin summer classes over the next 7-14 days.

Graduated Univ in May. Already midterms for Summer I, actually!

akim3585
Jun 13, 2011, 01:13 PM
Do you guys know the answer to this question?

I bought a MacBook Pro 4 days ago in New Hampshire, where they do not charge sales tax. I live in Connecticut where sales tax is 6%. If the BTS promotion were to happen on Wednesday, if I went to a local Apple store and tried to take advantage of the promotion, would I get charged sales tax on a exchange so I can receive the iPod touch? I mean sales tax on the MacBook Pro?

freddiculous
Jun 13, 2011, 01:31 PM
Do you guys know the answer to this question?

I bought a MacBook Pro 4 days ago in New Hampshire, where they do not charge sales tax. I live in Connecticut where sales tax is 6%. If the BTS promotion were to happen on Wednesday, if I went to a local Apple store and tried to take advantage of the promotion, would I get charged sales tax on a exchange so I can receive the iPod touch? I mean sales tax on the MacBook Pro?

They would charge tax. THey would just issue you a refund and do a completely new purchase with the printer, ipod included in the purchase..

vincenz
Jun 13, 2011, 01:35 PM
Who's willing to bet the new MacBook air is not included in the promotion? :(

akim3585
Jun 13, 2011, 01:35 PM
They would charge tax. THey would just issue you a refund and do a completely new purchase with the printer, ipod included in the purchase..

So they would take the MacBook Pro back and get me a brand new MacBook Pro?

T'hain Esh Kelch
Jun 13, 2011, 01:56 PM
Yes. The iPod has to be on the same receipt, hence a new sale.

akim3585
Jun 13, 2011, 02:05 PM

Fair enough. Thanks

Boochu
Jun 13, 2011, 02:35 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I just want to confirm because I am still unsure after reading the previous posts...If I return my mbp and buy it again with the iPod on the same receipt, do I can I get that SAME mbp with my data or get a brand new one?

Aviboy97
Jun 13, 2011, 02:36 PM

Are you sure Apple is going to offer a free printer? I thought it was just an iPod?

T'hain Esh Kelch
Jun 13, 2011, 02:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)
So I just want to confirm because I am still unsure after reading the previous posts...If I return my mbp and buy it again with the iPod on the same receipt, do I can I get that SAME mbp with my data or get a brand new one?
No idea, but I assume no, since I would expect that Apple can't resell you a machine before it has been back and rechecked. Legal stuff you know..
Are you sure Apple is going to offer a free printer? I thought it was just an iPod?
There's always rebate options for printers.

Aviboy97
Jun 13, 2011, 02:55 PM
I'm in the market for a MBP 13" and I already have an iPod Touch, and an iPhone, so I could really care less about getting one for free. I wonder if I will be able to get any aditional cash off instead? I can buy a MBP 13" through the Apple Educational Store for $1,099 today.

cav23j
Jun 13, 2011, 02:59 PM
I'm in the market for a MBP 13" and I already have an iPod Touch, and an iPhone, so I could really care less about getting one for free. I wonder if I will be able to get any aditional cash off instead? I can buy a MBP 13" through the Apple Educational Store for $1,099 today.

get an iPod touch for free then resell it

BrennanK
Jun 13, 2011, 05:42 PM
I have a question that I think has not been asked or answered. I read all 26 pages and didn't see it.

Here is the deal I want to get a 15" MBP and and iPad. I am assuming the iPad will not be part of the deal. So my question is can I take the iPod they give me will the deal and "return" it a few days later for store credit of some sort and apply that towards and iPad? Is something like that feasible? I just want to avoid selling it third party, I would never get what I "paid" for it back. Also, is a free printer still part of the deal? I know 4 years ago they would do and iPod and and a printer. Is that no longer the case?

Thanks for the help, and sorry if this is a repeat question.

Its Trish
Jun 13, 2011, 05:46 PM
No, the iPod has to be on the same receipt, as far as I am aware. Says so in other threads too..

If you mean the 12% AoC rebate, then yes.

what does "AoC" stand for?

and can someone pls provide a link to that rebate offer?

trish : - )

iMikeT
Jun 13, 2011, 08:03 PM
Here is the deal I want to get a 15" MBP and and iPad. I am assuming the iPad will not be part of the deal. So my question is can I take the iPod they give me will the deal and "return" it a few days later for store credit of some sort and apply that towards and iPad? Is something like that feasible? I just want to avoid selling it third party, I would never get what I "paid" for it back.

Nope.

Also, is a free printer still part of the deal?

Yep.

zinynano
Jun 13, 2011, 09:15 PM
Does anyone know if Amazon has historically lowered their Mac prices during BTS promotion?

jebbles
Jun 13, 2011, 09:46 PM
This year's back to school promotion is $100 to the mac app store. :rolleyes:

Vudoo
Jun 13, 2011, 10:29 PM
This year's back to school promotion is $100 to the mac app store. :rolleyes:

Lets wait and see, but I am hoping not.

aqmix
Jun 13, 2011, 11:12 PM
It's. Not. Trust. Me.

gc118
Jun 13, 2011, 11:18 PM
I hope it starts Tuesday, and not Wednesday.

My 14 day return policy ends on Tuesday. So I would either have to return it and buy a new one the next day or convince them to let me retro-actively apply the promotion 15 days later.

T'hain Esh Kelch
Jun 14, 2011, 01:05 AM
what does "AoC" stand for?

and can someone pls provide a link to that rebate offer?

trish : - )
Apple on Campus.

charlituna
Jun 14, 2011, 01:42 AM

Apple already answered that question in the WWDC press release. Buy your computer between June 6th and the release date and you can get a free upgrade.

charlituna
Jun 14, 2011, 01:49 AM
So that means that the 4G iPod Touch was included with the promotion from the 1st of September? I remember they released the iPod touch a week later but can't remember if you could get it with the promotion as well.

Anytime they have ever released new ipods less than 2 weeks after the end of the promo they were very clear that the new models were NOT included

nope. they would do a 'closed' box return of the MBP you have and resell you the same one with a printer, ipod etc. But you would have to pay the appropriate sales tax for the place doing the add on sale for ALL items, which would be the higher amount. THere's no way around it since the terms of the rebate require that everything must be bought together.

So my question is can I take the iPod they give me will the deal and "return" it a few days later for store credit of some sort and apply that towards and iPad? Is something like that feasible?

in the past, Ipods bought with an education discount sale during the BtS were NOT returnable, all you could do was exchange it for a different model ipod. The assumption being that you had submitted the rebate claim and thus you were returning something you had already gotten back your money for. it is most likely that that rule will be the same this year if there is an ipod promo (it's possible there might not be if the earthquake screwed with supplies)

littleturtle
Jun 14, 2011, 08:02 PM
WTH?

This is soooo lame I have been waiting since May, probably for nothing. And I am a first time Apple buyer. Maybe.:eek::mad:

littleturtle
Jun 14, 2011, 08:04 PM
This is sooooooooooooooo lame. I have been waiting since May to buy a new MacBook. And I am a first time Mac buyer. Maybe.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

lgneon1234
Jun 15, 2011, 06:41 AM
Previous B2S promotions:

2009 - May 27
2010 - May 25

I don't know the specifics date for the years before 2009 but I know it got earlier and earlier. Why would it suddenly follow a pattern and go from May 25 to June 15+? I even know the 1st ever B2S promotion started way earlier than that (june 6 i believe?) But thats irrevelant. How much more rumors do we have to wait for? May 25th, then it was may 31st, then june 4th, then june 6th, then june 14th and now june 15th. It is now june 15th and nothing happened overnight. Im starting to think if this $100 giftcard or ipod touch is worth it? Or if its even going to happen. I always have a little bit of hope but I've and probably much more have waited since april-may and if they aren't going to do the promotion, they might as well tell us because they are holding off several mac purchases. I know i probably sound annoying or whining but I just don't wanna buy my mac now and then realize i missed out on the promotion. :confused:

arn
Jun 15, 2011, 04:05 PM
at this risk of pissing off more people. :)

tomorrow is the latest word.

back to school.

arn