Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Woman eating chili bites into human finger

3/24/2005, 7:41 a.m. ET

The Associated Press

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — A woman's meal at a Wendy's restaurant brought a whole new meaning to the term "finger food." The woman bit into a portion of a human finger while eating a bowl of chili Tuesday night at the San Jose restaurant, Santa Clara County health officials said Wednesday.

The woman, who asked officials not to identify her, immediately spit out the finger and warned other diners to stop eating, witnesses said.

"Initially she did put this object in her mouth and did bite down on it and wasn't sure exactly what it was," Santa Clara County Health Officer Dr. Martin Fenstersheib said at a news conference. "She's doing OK. Initially she was a bit grossed out it was described to me, and vomited a number of times."

Fenstersheib said the finger had been cooked at a high enough temperature to kill any viruses.

Officials said the fingertip was approximately 1 3-8-inches long and a half-inch piece of fingernail was also found. They believe it belongs to a woman because of the long, manicured nail.

Health investigators seized all of the ingredients at the restaurant and are tracing them back to their manufacturer. They believe the finger got into the chili at an earlier stage.

"We have no evidence of any accident within the employees at the facility itself," said Ben Gale of the Santa Clara County Health Department. "We asked everybody to show us they have 10 fingers and everything is OK there."

The restaurant has had only one minor health violation stemming from a leaky vent, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

"Food safety is of utmost importance to us," Wendy's spokesman Joe Desmond said in a statement. "We are cooperating fully with the local police and health departments with their investigation. It's important not to jump to conclusions. Here at Wendy's we plan to do right by our customers."
Bleaaghhh! :eek:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
That is just too vile for words, just as I'm about to go and have a late lunch too. :eek:

Still, brings a new meaning to the phrase 'finger-food'.

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
Makes me wonder how many times things like this have happened, but didnt get caught. If it was a smaller bit of finger, she may have eaten it and never noticed! :eek:

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Mr. Durden said:
Makes me wonder how many times things like this have happened, but didnt get caught. If it was a smaller bit of finger, she may have eaten it and never noticed! :eek:
As anyone who's worked in food retail will tell you, this is a risk you run anytime you eat something processed...

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Thanks for the article, it made my decsion much easier for lunch now. I think i'm going stay in now and make "easy mac" aka "easy kraft dinner" :p :rolleyes:

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
A quick Photoshop rendering (bored at work). This story also reminds me of the McNugget Chicken Head from a few years ago. I remember when I was in high-school a local Hormel plant had to recall cans of chili becaue one of it's workers lost an arm in a machine and product "accidentally" shipped to stores. Nasty.

Attachments

• wendys copy.jpg
    wendys copy.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 123
  • chicken_head_nugget_1.gif
    chicken_head_nugget_1.gif
    57.5 KB · Views: 142

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
It is bad enough that the crap is horrible with the stuff in it that you read about, bacteria, ecoli, etc. But actually seeing a hair is disgusting or a band-aid. So I guess getting an appendage is the next level up - if you don't know the source don't eat it - yuck. I wonder if Wendy's has a deal with a mortuary or cremetarium...far fetched, but...who knows;)

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
aricher said:
A quick Photoshop rendering (bored at work). This story also reminds me of the McNugget Chicken Head from a few years ago. I remember when I was in high-school a local Hormel plant had to recall cans of chili becaue one of it's workers lost an arm in a machine and product "accidentally" shipped to stores. Nasty.

Really, thanks for the visual ;) - like my imagination wasn't giving me nausea...ugh.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
stuff like this makes me want to grow all of my own food and be a vegan

almost.....but definatly makes me happy that i dont eat fast food all that often anymore, and i think things will pretty much be staying that way for quite a long time

now i guess i can wait a while before lunch, i dont want to get sick

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
This just goes to show how invaluable a finger is. No one's even looking for it.

Or, perhaps it's just that the rest of the body hasn't been served yet...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
paulwhannel said:
This just goes to show how invaluable a finger is. No one's even looking for it.

or maybe the people at the proccessing plant didnt think anyone would notice? and didnt want to bother with the recall, etc

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I don't really find this funny, but very sad. Her reaction was certainly very appropriate. Probably there will be a lawsuit in the works. Wonder if there was enough of the finger to do a fingerprint or a DNA test to find the owner?

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I wonder if the whole story will ever come out. If it wasn't just an accident at the factory, I hope bodies aren't disposed of like this on a regular basis.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
I can see it now. She runs up to the manager: "One of your employees just gave me the finger!"

But seriously, wouldn't it be interesting if they found out it was part of a whole body, an imformant disposed of by the mob maybe. And they have been disposing of people in that way for the last 20 years! ewww...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
broken_keyboard said:
I can see it now. She runs up to the manager: "One of your employees just gave me the finger!"

But seriously, wouldn't it be interesting if they found out it was part of a whole body, an imformant disposed of by the mob maybe. And they have been disposing of people in that way for the last 20 years! ewww...

please, please stop giveing us images!!! even if we have to create them ourselves ;)

seriously i could hear of stuff like this happening.....anyone ever read the book Toxin by Robin Cook? some of this stuff reminds me of that.....

distrubing nonetheless and there is a part of me that wants to know where the finger came from!!! was it just laziness/sloppiness or part of something bigger?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Abstract said:
I hope the employee went home and noticed that s/he accidentally lost a finger at work.

"Hey... wonder where I lost that one.... third one this week, damnit."

:rolleyes:

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
paulwhannel said:

Headline: Jimmy Hoffa finally discovered in vat of Wendy's chili.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Scary for me because this is just a bit south of me. And yesterday I ate some food from Wendy's not knowing of this. I really like their food and all, but after this it may be a while before I eat there again :( :eek:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
broken_keyboard said:

Maybe Wendy's chili and beef burgers ARE people!! :eek:

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
broken_keyboard said:

Seriously no it wouldn't be interesting ;). Why did I start reading this thread? Now I've lost my appetite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.