PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs Confirms Discontinuation of iWeb in iCloud Transition

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 12, 2011, 07:24 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/12/steve-jobs-confirms-discontinuation-of-iweb-in-icloud-transition/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/iweb_icon.jpg

Since last week's unveiling (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/apple-introduces-icloud-contact-cal-docs-photos-and-music-syncing-free-of-charge/) of Apple's new iCloud service and the transitioning of the company's existing MobileMe service into iCloud, many users have been wondering about the fate of some of the MobileMe services that were not mentioned in the transition discussion. In particular, users have been concerned about iWeb, Apple's website creation software included with iLife that can be integrated with site hosting via MobileMe.

One concerned iWeb/MobileMe user emailed Apple CEO Steve Jobs to ask about the fate of the offering, and reportedly received confirmation that users will indeed need to find alternative hosting for their sites once MobileMe is officially discontinued. All existing MobileMe users have received free subscription extensions through June 30, 2012, at which time the service will cease to exist and the transition to iCloud will be complete.Q: Dear Mr. Jobs,

Will I need to find an alternative website builder and someone to host my sites?

I have invested a lot of time and effort and the thought of re-training sucks more than mobileme ever did.

A: Yep.

Sent from my iPhoneAs usual, the authenticity can not be confirmed with absolute certainty, but we have examined the email headers and believe them to be legitimate. Replies from Jobs' account are not particularly unusual, and he has in the past acknowledged being personally responsible for at least some, if not all, of the correspondence.

Apple's iWeb software saw its last major update with the release of iLife '09 in January 2009. The application did not receive a major update with the release of iLife '11 late last year, although Apple has continued to bundle it with the new iLife suite. The company has continued to periodically issue minor bug fixes for iWeb, most recently (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/15/apple-releases-iweb-3-0-3/) in February of this year.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Confirms Discontinuation of iWeb in iCloud Transition (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/12/steve-jobs-confirms-discontinuation-of-iweb-in-icloud-transition/)

d0mth0ma5
Jun 12, 2011, 07:28 PM
Bit of a dickish reply even for Jobs.

iBryton
Steve Jobs = Awesome

ECUpirate44
It sucks, but not a total surprise.

techpr
Jun 12, 2011, 07:29 PM
There you go... now Squarespace is going to receive a lots of new customers.

ivladster

Agg, this is getting old.
He's not a saint or a god of some sort. Stop expecting him with flowers coming to each person's house and answering their desired questions.

ivladster
There you go... now Squarespace is going to receive a lots of new customers.

Yeah! Especially with v6 coming this year it's going to take off!

d0mth0ma5
Jun 12, 2011, 07:31 PM
He's not a saint or a god of some sort. Stop expecting him with flowers coming to each person's house and answering their desired questions.

So just don't reply then. If he doesn't reply he doesn't look bad he just hasn't replied to one of thousands of emails. The manner in which he replies is purely for show and it doesn't portray him in a good light.

Blorzoga
Jun 12, 2011, 07:31 PM
I've had just about enough of those "yep" responses from Steve Jobs. The sender was obviously distraught about all the work they had put into their website, and all Jobs can reply is "yep"? He couldn't even throw in a "tough shiit, not my problem"? Lame.

k1121j
Jun 12, 2011, 07:33 PM
Bummer i actually liked it

Fuchal
Jun 12, 2011, 07:34 PM
It's probably good for the Internet as a whole to get people off of iWeb

SiriusExcelsior
Jun 12, 2011, 07:35 PM
I thought you could export sites from iWeb into a folder.. surely this person only needs to find a new host that allows FTP uploads? Wouldn't really require much retraining.. :)

GeekOFComedy
Jun 12, 2011, 07:36 PM
I thought you could export sites from iWeb into a folder.. surely this person only needs to find a new host that allows FTP uploads? Wouldn't really require much retraining.. :)

New OS and the software wont be updated.

koobcamuk
Jun 12, 2011, 07:36 PM

Not a Saint, not a God, you are right.

However, he is the CEO of one of the largest tech companies in the world. When a fan emails you to ask something like this, such a terse reply won't be agreeable for most people.

sananda
Jun 12, 2011, 07:37 PM
And so I suppose it means no more iDisk and Galleries. Shame.

Godgem
Jun 12, 2011, 07:37 PM
iweb suck. Just use wordpress and buy hosting not big deal instead of paying 99dollars to Apple. And you should hire someone who make custom theme just for you.

carboncow
Jun 12, 2011, 07:38 PM
Considering the guy who asked the question asked it in a dickish manor, the reply was fine. Nobody said he cannot continue to use the crappy iWeb with another $3 a month hosting service.

khunsanook
Jun 12, 2011, 07:40 PM
Good move Apple. I never liked iWeb's unique website code. There are plenty of better options for creating and hosting websites.

HONDAxACURA
Jun 12, 2011, 07:40 PM
NOOOO!!!!!!! I used iWeb with my Cox communications account. I like the simplicity of iWeb!

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 12, 2011, 07:42 PM

I don't understand how. Is he supposed to reply in proper english:

Yes, you would need to find an alternative website builder and someone to host your sites.

?

I don't think so.

mambodancer
Jun 12, 2011, 07:44 PM

You are absolutely correct. You can easily publish the site to a folder.

If Sandvox had a utility to then import the site then they would have a ready customer base to switch from iWeb to Sandvox 2 which is very iWeb-like and easy to use.

The big advantage of these applications is their ease of use and are much simpler to use than other web-centric apps which tend to only work if you have an active internet connection. I need a desktop app and so do my clients.

Hildron101010
Jun 12, 2011, 07:45 PM
As I am sure that people have said, Apple is discontinuing the iDisk web hosting, they aren't going to people's Macs to delete iWeb. You can still use iWeb as much as you want. You can set iWeb to upload to an FTP server or your own network server. Of course, after a few years, iWeb will be really outdated, so then you can find something else. I recommend Sandvox. It's similar to iWeb and it won an Apple design award.

koruki
Jun 12, 2011, 07:46 PM
Can someone shed some light on the "training"? I'm a web developer and I'm a bit confused on what the writers reference to re-training was? Don't you just build you site and find a host?

Update: So its an application that uploads to iWeb? As mentioned by another poster, Wordpress is a great option, its free and with most major hosting, there is a Wordpress install plug in, you don't even need to know how to set it up. Its part of the control panel, you just need to initiate the install.

reactions
Jun 12, 2011, 07:50 PM

Yup.

:apple:

techpr
Seems like the websites with the logo "Made on a Mac" are soon going to disappear :rolleyes:

WannaGoMac
Does this mean the software iWeb is about to be discontinued, or just the silly hosting service?

oneofthesedaves
Jun 12, 2011, 07:52 PM
Well, that guy emailed Jobs to complain about the possible discontinuation of a service that he says sucks. Jobs was well within his rights to do that. If you don't want a short and terse response, then don't email Steve.

xUKHCx
Jun 12, 2011, 07:52 PM
If iWeb is disappearing here is hoping that RapidWeaver or some other alternative hosts a sale soon to pick up that customer base.

I know I will be looking for a replacement. I have been holding off moving to a different package hoping they would update iWeb but now there is no point in me holding off anymore.

nospeed411
Jun 12, 2011, 07:54 PM
What a load of ****ing ********!!! I have about had it with S. Jobs and his little tude lately. I know didly **** about building a website and my small auto business has a nice page now thanks to the ease of iWeb and the hosting which I pay for. Now I am screwed...thanks Jobs for continuing to be a douche.

clonenode
Jun 12, 2011, 07:55 PM
A shame - I really enjoyed using the software's ease of publishing and updating into my MobileMe space. Wonder if anyone else will step in a pick this up.

Blorzoga
Jun 12, 2011, 07:55 PM
I don't understand how. Is he supposed to reply in proper english:

Yes, you would need to find an alternative website builder and someone to host your sites.

?

I don't think so.

It's not a matter of proper English, it's called having a little compassion for your customers.

odinsride
Jun 12, 2011, 07:56 PM

this

scottness
Jun 12, 2011, 07:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone Dark: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)

What was the problem with iWeb?

rockstarjoe
Jun 12, 2011, 07:57 PM
Any suggestions for a not too expensive web hosting replacement?

Blorzoga
Jun 12, 2011, 07:58 PM
Considering the guy who asked the question asked it in a dickish manor, the reply was fine. Nobody said he cannot continue to use the crappy iWeb with another $3 a month hosting service.

Steve Jobs himself put down MobileMe in his keynote at WWDC which implicitly made it fair game. I doubt he was offended by the questioner's "derogatory" mention of MobileMe.

gmgvtd
Jun 12, 2011, 07:59 PM
What about mobileme gallery???:( That's more important.

drzuco
Jun 12, 2011, 07:59 PM
Why to put serious work on iWeb? If that guy worked a lot on the site, better to get a normal hosting...

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 12, 2011, 08:00 PM
It's not a matter of proper English, it's called having a little compassion for your customers.

That's absolutely fine.

But do you expect that from a CEO of a company actually replying to a normal day-to-day email?

nishioka
When a fan emails you to ask something like this, such a terse reply won't be agreeable for most people.

Trying to remember the last time a CEO got fired because he actually answered a customer's e-mail...

If you want your hand held, they have an 800 number for you to call. :)

42streetsdown
i didn't think any noteworthy sites were made in this fashion. seems like the internet'll go unchanged.

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 12, 2011, 08:01 PM

EXACTLY.

MobileMe gallery is a great feature for people to upload their photos to my gallery and I can some how distribute mine.

I'll be very sad to see this feature going. I hope Apple gets a replacement for the same in the next 8-12 months.

Blorzoga
Jun 12, 2011, 08:02 PM
That's absolutely fine.

But do you expect that from a CEO of a company actually replying to a normal day-to-day email?

Especially if the CEO is replying, he shouldn't be so flippant. It makes him sound like a dick.

Takeo
Jun 12, 2011, 08:02 PM
Some people will be upset of course, but really, iWeb is junk... and I'm sure people were upset when Hypercard was kill too. LOL. Just switch to WordPress.com or Squarespace... or keep using iWeb and buy hosting for less than $99/year... but something like WordPress is a million times more powerful than just publishing cheesy static HTML pages.

NoNothing
Jun 12, 2011, 08:03 PM
NOOOO!!!!!!! I used iWeb with my Cox communications account. I like the simplicity of iWeb!

For several year, good chance at that. Just won't get any TLC/updates.

oneofthesedaves
Jun 12, 2011, 08:03 PM
What a load of ****ing ********!!! I have about had it with S. Jobs and his little tude lately. I know didly **** about building a website and my small auto business has a nice page now thanks to the ease of iWeb and the hosting which I pay for. Now I am screwed...thanks Jobs for continuing to be a douche.

Just get another company to host your web site at a cost lower than MobileMe cost you. You can still use iWeb to design/change it. You just need to get someone to host it. That is very easy to do. You are not screwed. Did you really expect Steve to foot the bill for every Apple user to have a free web site? You get a whole extra year for free to figure out what to do next. Hell of a guy, that Steve is.

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 12, 2011, 08:04 PM
Especially if the CEO is replying, he shouldn't be so flippant. It makes him sound like a dick.

What should he say exactly?

- We are sorry for taking this useful feature away.
- Please find another service that gives you this feature.
- I am sorry for this resentment of yours. I hope I can be more fair in the future.

:rolleyes:

Do you really expect Steve Jobs to write in each and every email he actually replies to?

koruki

However, he is the CEO of one of the largest tech companies in the world. When a fan emails you to ask something like this, such a terse reply won't be agreeable for most people.

If we are going to talk about Rules of being a CEO he'd be in a tie and jacket and "fans" wouldn't even have his e-mail address. Steve has never been one to comply to society's expectations.

Takeo
As for the reply being rude... 1) all he said was yes 2) the person who sent the email said that MobileMe sucked... so there you go.

David-fr
Jun 12, 2011, 08:05 PM
iDisk?

Blorzoga
Jun 12, 2011, 08:05 PM

- I am sorry for this resentment of yours. I hope I can be more fair in the future.

Do you really expect Steve Jobs to write in each and every email he actually replies to?

The first choice would have been appropriate.

Takeo
Jun 12, 2011, 08:07 PM
Funny enough... there's even a hosting company called iWeb... LOL (no connection to Apple at all)... and their shared hosting is less than $99/year.

BLACKFRIDAY
The first choice would have been appropriate.

Nopes. None of them are a good answer at all.

Companies don't say sorry because they have removed some features as they believe that they have planned something better or its in the right direction for all.

You can't be sorry to people and dismiss your thoughts and plans for the future.

Good that he got the answer. I find it hard to believe that people are criticising it.

AnimeFunTv
Damn you Apple, I hope its just a hoax. You will be pissing on a lot of people's heads if it comes out in a press release confirming it.

http://www.facebook.com/keepiwebonidisk

johnpaul191
Jun 12, 2011, 08:08 PM
This sucks....
I am capable of setting up a website (and have) from scratch, or with drupal or something, but I use iWeb for my personal resume type site (my field of work isn't computer related). It was incredibly easy and fast to update. I don't get much traffic at all, so it was hard to justify doing a site from scratch, though I want it to look professional. I sure as hell won't be moving to something like squarespace because it's massive overkill for my needs.

While iWeb will still be installed, who knows how it will function with 10.7, plus it won't be updated anymore. To be honest, the one click publishing was a big appeal of using it.

Takeo
Jun 12, 2011, 08:11 PM
This sucks....
I am capable of setting up a website (and have) from scratch, or with drupal or something, but I use iWeb for my personal resume type site (my field of work isn't computer related). It was incredibly easy and fast to update. I don't get much traffic at all, so it was hard to justify doing a site from scratch, though I want it to look professional. I sure as hell won't be moving to something like squarespace because it's massive overkill for my needs.

While iWeb will still be installed, who knows how it will function with 10.7, plus it won't be updated anymore. To be honest, the one click publishing was a big appeal of using it.

Drupal is not really the most user-friendly system either. I would look into a hosted WordPress if I were you. Tons of resume style themes available. And you'd have a proper CMS... not just static html pages.

ri0ku
Jun 12, 2011, 08:12 PM
I don't get why people are so bothered.. I mean I use iWeb for my personal resume/portfolio site but just cause MobileMe will no longer host the site doesn't mean you can't use iWeb still....

Just create a website in iWeb as normal and export it to a folder and find some new hosting...

HelveticaNeue
Jun 12, 2011, 08:12 PM
Too bad. I thought iWeb was a great tool for someone without any web-design experience to get something out there on the internet. I suppose it wasn't entirely unforeseen since iWeb wasn't updated with iLife 11, along with iDVD which Apple surely believes is antiquated. It's curious that Apple would axe a creative piece of their iLife suite. Do they not believe customers are interested in making their own sites anymore? Do they believe there are better tools in the App Store that will receive more developer attention?

Well I suppose that just leaves iDisk and MobileMe Gallery to wonder about. MobileMe Gallery seems like it should live on in some incarnation. But iDisk seems like something Apple might scrap. Unfortunate for me who uses it everyday. Guess I'm headed to Dropbox.

jaw04005
Jun 12, 2011, 08:13 PM

I actually prefer Jobs' style. He could always just send back an auto-reply form e-mail like every other Fortune 500 CEO, but instead he replies with an actual response.

NinjaHERO
Doesn't affect me. But I am sorry that anyone who used that service is going to lose it.

Westside guy
iWeb was nice for its ease of use and visual style, but it was pretty limiting if you wanted to move beyond that. But in any case it's not like the existing software will quit working, and it's darn easy to put iWeb-produced pages onto a standard web host.

coolfactor
Seems like the websites with the logo "Made on a Mac" are soon going to disappear :rolleyes:

Yah, I'm a die-hard Mac fan, but iWeb never really struck me as a good solution for website creation. Sure, it allows non-techies to get a site up, but the resulting site seemed too template-like. Not my style, but that's probably because I'm a website builder by profession.

Secondly, this seems to illustrate a change in strategy for Apple, moving away from some of the more unique advantages of a Mac to a more generic platform-agnostic set of services... I don't know, it's a mixed bag for me.

kiljoy616
Jun 12, 2011, 08:15 PM
Noooooooooooo!;)

Yamcha
Jun 12, 2011, 08:15 PM
iWeb sucked, I'm glad its gone, I cannot see any web designer or developer ever using it, simply because it's not a text editor.. I know it wasn't targeted towards web designers, at least I hope not :P..

I'd be great if Apple came out with something that is a text editor, but I don't think anything can replace Coda for me :P

nagromme
Jun 12, 2011, 08:18 PM
Most of the HTML generated could be transferred elsewhere (at least for keeping one’s old site, not for continued publishing). But I think Apple should at least offer free URL forwarding to past customers. A low-cost welcome gesture.

iDisk
Jun 12, 2011, 08:19 PM
iDisk?

Yes?

Takeo
Jun 12, 2011, 08:19 PM
iWeb sucked, I'm glad its gone, I cannot see any web designer or developer ever using it, simply because it's not a text editor.. I know it wasn't targeted towards web designers, at least I hope not :P..

I'd be great if Apple came out with something that is a text editor, but I don't think anything can replace Coda for me :P

Nothing will replace good ol' BBEdit for me :) Been serving me well for 15 years now. I've tried Coda and Textmate and Espresso... but always go back to BBEdit + CSSEdit (hopefully MacRabbit updates it sometime this decade). But really... you're talking apples and oranges. iWeb was never meant to be a development tool at all. Far from it. And there would be no reason for Apple to create professional web development tools.

David-fr
Jun 12, 2011, 08:20 PM
Yes?

>.>

artpease
Jun 12, 2011, 08:21 PM
You don't have to publish to a folder and learn an FTP program.

Publish directly out of iWeb to any FTP web host. The only retraining is to read Help.

Site Publishing Settings
Change Publish to: (pull down) from "MobileMe" to "FTP Server"

FTP Server Settings
Server address: www.YourDomain.com
User name:
Password:
Directory/Path: to the domain folder (ie: /www/YourDomainFolder)

Your FTP web host will give you the path if you can't figure it out.

"Test Connection"

kiljoy616
Jun 12, 2011, 08:23 PM

And you can still use it. Then ftp it to your web provider and you will be fine. Its not something most people use. And there are plenty of services that will do it for you for cheap.

David-fr
Jun 12, 2011, 08:25 PM
Funny enough... there's even a hosting company called iWeb... LOL (no connection to Apple at all)... and their shared hosting is less than $99/year.

Yeah we host games there and they suck >.> we got DDOS attacks and they're like "We don't whats up"

Takeo
Jun 12, 2011, 08:25 PM
Would be interesting to know what percentage of MobileMe accounts used the iWeb feature. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the single digit percentage range.

Takeo
Jun 12, 2011, 08:28 PM
Yeah we host games there and they suck >.> we got DDOS attacks and they're like "We don't whats up"

I guess YMMV. I've had dedicated hosts and shared accounts on there for years and they've always been top notch for me with no security issues.

rdlink
You can FTP right out of iWeb to any FTP web host. The only retraining is to read Help.

Site Publishing Settings
Change Publish to: (pull down) from "MobileMe" to "FTP Server"

FTP Server Settings
Server address: www.YourDomain.com
User name:
Password:
Directory/Path: to the domain folder (ie: /www/YourDomainFolder)

Your FTP web host will give you the path if you can't figure it out.

"Test Connection"

Never used Mobile Me for iWeb (or anything else). Always used FTP to put my pages on my own web hosting company. But I found the product very useful and easy. This was one of the big pluses when I moved to a Mac a few years ago. I was hoping that they would update the program and make it more powerful.

While I have designed web pages with other products before, even building pages from scratch, I always liked the simplicity and ease of iWeb, and it still had some power. Apple has been touting iLife as a good standard feature of every Mac for a while. Wonder how many more legs they'll knock out of it in the near future.

TheAppleDragon
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This I do not like.

But as long as I can keep it for GFX work I suppose I don't really mind.

mattwolfmatt
Jun 12, 2011, 08:33 PM
I guess it's back to Geocities. Wait . . .

maclaptop
Jun 12, 2011, 08:37 PM
I agree with you.
See the hypocrisy ... People get angry if I post a similar opinion of him. Speaking ones opinion on this forum is inviting an attack of the yes men.

Takeo
Jun 12, 2011, 08:44 PM
I agree with you.
See the hypocrisy ... People get angry if I post a similar opinion of him. Speaking ones opinion on this forum is inviting an attack of the yes men.

Could be seen that way but we're probably over-thinking it. Guy asked a question... Steve's busy and just said "yes". Done. As a CEO answering emails from complete strangers it's probably best to say as little as possible anyways.

HitchHykr
Jun 12, 2011, 08:44 PM

Depends what you need but checkout GoDaddy.com, they are good despite their obnoxious commercials.

HitchHykr
Jun 12, 2011, 08:48 PM
Just get another company to host your web site at a cost lower than MobileMe cost you. You can still use iWeb to design/change it. You just need to get someone to host it. That is very easy to do. You are not screwed. Did you really expect Steve to foot the bill for every Apple user to have a free web site? You get a whole extra year for free to figure out what to do next. Hell of a guy, that Steve is.

And we have a year to do it. Had Apple discontinued the service in say 30 days, that would be a different story.

Biscuit411
Jun 12, 2011, 08:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've got three different sites created with iWeb, two of which are hosted through MobileMe. I started looking for replacement services the day iCloud was introduced. Too bad... :-(

zetsurin
Jun 12, 2011, 08:49 PM

Given that the sender's livelihood depends on the recipient, then YES. You fanboys are starting to sound like Apple ownership is some sort of honour. They are a business, they need to treat the customers like they are where the money comes from!

nunes013
Jun 12, 2011, 08:54 PM
i wish they offered iDisk (with 20 gb storage), MobileMe Gallery (or iCloud Gallery ;) ) and this hosting for maybe $25 a year. that would a great deal for most users. The 20 gb could be an add on to your existing 5 gb for 25 gb total.

stevensr123
This is how the HTC CEO responded to many complaints from fans and customers of htc and android, about the locked boot loader policy they implemented:

“There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we’ve listened. Today, I’m confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience,” Peter Chou, CEO of HTC.

Considering Steve represents apple, I would expect him to respond in a professional manner instead of the dickish way he normally responds to fans and customers.

The htc CEO realises without customers their company is nothing, it seems Steve thinks otherwise.

pkson
So I'm assuming iDVD will become obsolete soon, eh?

Since Apple is trying to rid themselves of any tangible media, I guess so, but it was the easiest/simplest DVD authoring tool I've ever used, and I'd hate to see it go... I hope there's another way we can package videos similar to a DVD experience.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 12, 2011, 08:55 PM
Why does this app need to go away?

iWeb can be used to create sites hosted in other locations than just mobileme.

Apple should continue to support this app for people who want to create a web site.

Unfortunately I think most people are just looking to post their stuff on social networks and the statistics are steering the development.

charlituna
Jun 12, 2011, 08:57 PM
I've had just about enough of those "yep" responses from Steve Jobs. The sender was obviously distraught about all the work they had put into their website, and all Jobs can reply is "yep"? He couldn't even throw in a "tough shiit, not my problem"? Lame.

Frankly I can't thinking that there is more to this than how it has been painted. "Yep" isn't really Jobs style. He's succinct but he is usually more clear with the phrasing. "iWeb is done" is more Job's tone.

If the headers are real then I can't help wondering if they were for a computer on the Campus and perhaps the one in Jobs office. But it doesn't mean he was sitting behind it. Could have an assistant who doesn't perhaps know the full score.

Could be that the answer was iWeb is gone, but no mention of the new program that will take its place. or no mention of idisk's successor. But the person reporting this to the site painted it differently.

Takeo
Jun 12, 2011, 08:57 PM
Well... right or wrong... we all know Steve is kind of a hard ass. Not exactly breaking news.

rorschach
Jun 12, 2011, 08:58 PM
Nobody is getting "screwed" here. You will still have the iWeb that you bought. The only thing going away is Apple's hosting; you can find cheap hosting in a zillion places. iWeb will publish to any of them if they offer FTP (the only ones I've seen that don't are the free ones).

azentropy
Jun 12, 2011, 08:59 PM
Never cared for iWeb. However, I'm still made they discontinued Claris Homepage!

I'm starting to worry about things getting left behind. For instance I have an old MacBook that I use as my "kitchen" machine. I just use it for checking email, web-browsing and other light things. It is an original MacBook Core Duo and will not be upgradable to 10.7 Lion. But still I would like to have my mail accounts, bookmarks, calendars, contacts etc. synced with my other Macs, PCs, iPhone and iPad which I have now synced with MobileMe. Seems like it is going to be left behind if they don't offer iCloud for 10.6.

e-coli
Jun 12, 2011, 09:02 PM
I know exactly zero people who use iWeb. It's the worst piece of crap site builder I've ever seen.

What we all want to know is, will MobileMe GALLERIES remain?

*LTD*
Jun 12, 2011, 09:03 PM

Major dickish way to ask a question.

Read it again.

Q: Dear Mr. Jobs,

Will I need to find an alternative website builder and someone to host my sites?

I have invested a lot of time and effort and the thought of re-training sucks more than mobileme ever did.

Sent from my iPhone

Translation:

Dear Mr. Jobs:

Would you please take the time to answer my question.

*question is asked*

By the way, the service you created and which so many users paid for over several years sucks.

NOW read Jobs' response. All clear now?

charlituna
Jun 12, 2011, 09:04 PM
What was the problem with iWeb?

Gross coding with duplicate copies of every image, horrid iFrame for widgets etc. Not to mention limited customization of the templates with any level of ease, no support for keywords, searching etc.

What they need is a system more like wordpress, blogger etc and software with the ease of use (and an iOS app) that iweb was supposed to achieve but without losing the sophistication of good code. Wouldn't hurt if they had a feature to make creating mobile versions easier or even use HTML5

jackc
Jun 12, 2011, 09:07 PM
I know exactly zero people who use iWeb. It's the worst piece of crap site builder I've ever seen.

I don't know how Nixon won. No one I know voted for him.

Takeo
Jun 12, 2011, 09:08 PM
This is how the HTC CEO responded to many complaints from fans and customers of htc and android, about the locked boot loader policy they implemented:

“There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we’ve listened. Today, I’m confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience,” Peter Chou, CEO of HTC.

Considering Steve represents apple, I would expect him to respond in a professional manner instead of the dickish way he normally responds to fans and customers.

The htc CEO realises without customers their company is nothing, it seems Steve thinks otherwise.

That is a much better reply... no question. But that's a very different situation. "Overwhelming customer feedback" is very different from one guy sending an email about - let's face it - an outdated stepchild of an app that very few people use. And I doubt the Peter Chou actually wrote that response. It wasn't a quick response he tapped off on his own to an individual customer. It was addressed to everyone and most likely written and/or vetted by their PR department.

inkswamp
Jun 12, 2011, 09:10 PM

Dickish? I think it's remarkably honest. He's right to the point, unafraid to say yes and no even when it's bad news. That's actually a sign of an honest person. A more direct and less circuitous response style tends to indicate a truthful personality. It's "dickish" only if you're overly sensitive.

*LTD*
Jun 12, 2011, 09:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyway, Jobs always responds this way. Seems some of us aren't accustomed to it yet or we're new.

By the way, it's new Apple gear that counts and devs making money that counts, not a CEO's response to e-mails. If you're looking for form-letter boilerplate BS and empty platitudes then there's plenty of that to go around. At least Jobs doesn't BS in what appears to be his own correspondence. And frankly, most customers in Apple's market don't care either way. Just give us more damn Apple gear. That's all that matters.

mattwolfmatt
Jun 12, 2011, 09:19 PM
So I'm assuming iDVD will become obsolete soon, eh?

Since Apple is trying to rid themselves of any tangible media, I guess so, but it was the easiest/simplest DVD authoring tool I've ever used, and I'd hate to see it go... I hope there's another way we can package videos similar to a DVD experience.

Well, for the next few years, anyway, you could always use iDVD 09 (or whatever the latest is). It's not like the software will stop working next year. It just won't keep getting "the latest and greatest" updates from Apple.

I still use Quicken for Mac 2007 and it still works with dates in 2011. As much as I'd probably buy Quicken 2012, what I have works just fine for what I need it for and I'm happy with it.

It sounds like you're happy with iDVD. Stick with it.

foofan
I hate to see iweb go. it had lots of potential for people who want to make a nice quick website.

as for his response it doesnt surprise me his response his a little cocky or rude. The person is upset about losing iweb. Steve is worried about his health. He is suffering from cancer, so why does he care about the schmucks who cant use iweb.

steve may lose his life from cancer and none of his billions will save him, just like george harrison. Jobs doesnt give a crap about any mac user

ten-oak-druid

Read it again.

Sent from my iPhone

Translation:

Dear Mr. Jobs:

*question is asked*

By the way, the service you created and which so many users paid for over several years sucks.

Very good point.

I think iweb will be supported still even if Apple doesn't host the site. And perhaps sites will be hosted on icloud anyway.

altecXP
Jun 12, 2011, 09:26 PM
If they get rid of iDisk then I'll be canceling my account. I JUST finished moving all of my stuff OFF Google/DropBox to MobileMe and now this..

****ing Hell.

toujames
Jun 12, 2011, 09:26 PM
Just in time! I switched from using iWeb to Rapidweaver 3 weeks before this story came out.

For those who are looking for an alternative, try Rapidweaver!

*LTD*
Jun 12, 2011, 09:30 PM
If they get rid of iDisk then I'll be canceling my account. I JUST finished moving all of my stuff OFF Google/DropBox to MobileMe and now this..

****ing Hell.

You can move all your iDisk stuff to iCloud. You'll get storage options there as well. If anything, it'll far outclass iDisk.

Popeye206
Jun 12, 2011, 09:30 PM
Hummm... don't believe it. Seems too short and cold of a response. Even for SJ.

NAG
Jun 12, 2011, 09:34 PM
Why does this app need to go away?

iWeb can be used to create sites hosted in other locations than just mobileme.

Apple should continue to support this app for people who want to create a web site.

Unfortunately I think most people are just looking to post their stuff on social networks and the statistics are steering the development.

That pretty much nails it. There just isn't a huge market for causal website creation. People either post stuff to a social network or use a pre-built blogging service that requires no coding (the later being essentially what iWeb was supposed to do).

It sucks when Apple kills support, and boy has that happened a lot in the iTools/dotMac/MobileMe/iCloud space (e.g. dotMac dashboard widgets). They've been depreciating the website component of MobileMe for quite a while (iWeb not being updated, removal of homepage, no webapp for the website component) so this really shouldn't come as a surprise. Hopefully, iCloud will be different this time around since it is pretty much the strongest selling point of MobileMe before it but better (syncing...although they never said sync during the keynote).

Still, you should never rely on any service staying there perpetually (heck, look at Google translate api).

blacktape242
Jun 12, 2011, 09:41 PM
lame.......

newwavedave
Jun 12, 2011, 09:44 PM
Ugh, this is going to suck! I've got my wife's website set up in iWeb and she has a lot of files that she shares that are being shared on iDisk. Is Dropbox as easy to use as iDisk? I guess I'll set up hosting on GoDaddy or something. Who's got the cheapest price?

To the people who are saying that we were paying $99 per year for hosting you couldn't be more wrong... We were paying $99 for ALL the features of MobileMe and taking advantage of the hosting and iDisk that came with it.

What a pain in the ass moving all my files off of my iDisk is going to be :(

NAG
Jun 12, 2011, 09:51 PM
Ugh, this is going to suck! I've got my wife's website set up in iWeb and she has a lot of files that she shares that are being shared on iDisk. Is Dropbox as easy to use as iDisk? I guess I'll set up hosting on GoDaddy or something. Who's got the cheapest price?

To the people who are saying that we were paying $99 per year for hosting you couldn't be more wrong... We were paying $99 for ALL the features of MobileMe and taking advantage of the hosting and iDisk that came with it.

While shopping around is a good idea, I would hold off doing anything until we get more info about iCLoud since we don't know if you can share stuff with iCloud or not (MobileMe is okay until this time next year so no rush). Although I'd avoid GoDaddy.

torbjoern
Jun 12, 2011, 09:52 PM
What a cock! (pun intended)

andiwm2003
Jun 12, 2011, 09:54 PM
What a dick.

They canceled the .mac homepage, now they cancel the iWeb sites. This also indicates iDisk is going away since it also was not mentioned and since they said there is only 5GB of space.

The only thing left from apples Internet service is email and findmyiphone.

At that point it's better to switch to google or such. Is there a way to download all my mails from the last 4 years?

lilo777
Jun 12, 2011, 09:58 PM
iweb suck. Just use wordpress and buy hosting not big deal instead of paying 99dollars to Apple. And you should hire someone who make custom theme just for you.

"Suck" generally applies to most Apple products and all services. I am surprised it takes so long for people to realize that.

mdriftmeyer
Jun 12, 2011, 10:02 PM

Really? Honesty is a dickish reply?

I personally chuckled at the having to retrain comment from the concerned iWeb user.

You truly don't understand the W3C Specs and other Javascript/jQuery/SproutCore/Capuccino/MochiKit/PHP5/Java/SQL ,etc by how you learn a software tool that automates part of your work.

It just doesn't happen. You learn it by studying the APIs and the repetitive application of it's designs.

"Suck" generally applies to most Apple products and all services. I am surprised it takes so long for people to realize that.

Sorry, but Apple never advertised iWeb as a premier Developer Tool. It was a quick tool for people who wanted to throw up a quick web site.

Tools like WebObjects, Xcode and the Cocoa APIs, LLVM/Clang, etc., are serious tools for serious solutions.

Personally, I do hope Apple re-launches WOF with EOF from it's roots, Cocoa/ObjC. To me, that would marry iCloud with OS X and iOS to complete the 3 tier solution to be deployed throughout Enterprises, Government Agencies, etc.

SuperMatt
Jun 12, 2011, 10:03 PM
Clearly a 1-word email from Steve Jobs is 100% impossible to fake. Let's not even bother to check on official notification from MobileMe customer support when iCloud is closer to release...

andiwm2003
Jun 12, 2011, 10:10 PM
Clearly a 1-word email from Steve Jobs is 100% impossible to fake. Let's not even bother to check on official notification from MobileMe customer support when iCloud is closer to release...

That reply is not important. The important thing is that iWeb was not updated in years and it was not mentioned at the keynote. 99% chance iWeb and iDisk go away next year.

Mak47
Jun 12, 2011, 10:10 PM
As someone who is not particularly knowledgeable in the field of web design, I really like iWeb. It isn't perfect, but it lets people like me design something that's useful without spending inordinate amounts of time on it.

I have zero issue with hosting through another service, I already do. You basically have to if you want to create multiple websites. What I really like is the built in FTP client that allows me to easily publish to my various accounts.

I also think the design templates were adequate, at least for my purposes. I couldn't care less if the hosting service goes away, few will argue that it was particularly good and there are certainly others out there for much less money than a MobileMe subscription.

I just hope the application itself continues to be supported through Lion.

unlinked
Jun 12, 2011, 10:11 PM
What a dick.

They canceled the .mac homepage, now they cancel the iWeb sites. This also indicates iDisk is going away since it also was not mentioned and since they said there is only 5GB of space.

The only thing left from apples Internet service is email and findmyiphone.

At that point it's better to switch to google or such. Is there a way to download all my mails from the last 4 years?

I thought webmail was confirmed to be going away?

zim
Jun 12, 2011, 10:16 PM
I doubt that the iDisk will go away.. didn't they just update the app? Out of the whole MobileMe offerings I bet iDisk is one of the features that stays within the cloud.. else they will provide something similar.. Apple wants to provide ease of sharing files and this is one way to do so.

GregA
Jun 12, 2011, 10:23 PM
MobileMe gallery is a great feature for people to upload their photos to my gallery and I can some how distribute mine.

I'll be very sad to see this feature going. I hope Apple gets a replacement for the same in the next 8-12 months.

I can't imagine the Gallery disappearing, but I can see why iWeb is going. I like it, I use it (none of the templates for photos, movie and so on), and I'll have to find something else.

From what I've seen, the people who like iWeb wanted something very easy, and most didn't use the page templates. Look at iWeb - it had an "about me" page (with a section for "my favourite songs", and "my favourite web links"), a photo page, blog page, podcast page - it was about taking stuff from iLife and making a personal website, and it came out just when Facebook took off. So here I was picking a basic page from a theme and then creating my own websites from that, which was never really the intention of iWeb.

In terms of the original intention of iWeb, Apple would be better off creating their own social networking website. Integrate the logins for AppleID, Twitter, Game Centre, Ping and add the Gallery - and you've got an easy start to a facebook competitor.

Your iPhone updates where you are, your photos get published via photo-stream (restricted to friends and those identified in the photos?), your tweets are displayed, you have a list (with links) of "most listened to" and "5 star" songs, books you're reading, maybe your most used bookmarks ("favourite links"), you have a public calendar, you can challenge people to a game on game centre...

iWeb just didn't go the way Apple wanted.

neutrino23
Jun 12, 2011, 10:30 PM
I liked iWeb/MobileMe for quick things. I could put up a web page, password protected, for our small sales group to share files with instructions for their use. I didn't have to shop for an html creation app, learn how to use it, shop for a hosting service, figure out the FTP thing. I could just fire up iWeb, make the web page and publish it to MM and be done in an hour or so. I'm not interested in being a web designer. I've already got too many other irons in the fire. For this purpose iWeb and MM was great.

Same with Galleries. I suppose there are other services for this, but it would involve too many extra steps. I'll probably just do less publishing if galleries go away.

DJ Dilbert
Jun 12, 2011, 10:42 PM
Good! iWeb is a piece of ****. Always has been.

There are plenty of cheap web hosts out there and and HTML compliant templates out there that you can use and get better results from than iWeb.

I have never seen a remotely good website developed from iWeb.

If you still need a good program to develop, just buckle down and get Dreamweaver or something. You'll be better off.

ferrous
Jun 12, 2011, 10:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

That sucks. What will happen to all my photos and videos on MobileMe. Almost 18gb

scottwaugh
Jun 12, 2011, 10:45 PM

Well said.

People will just have to move their sites to another hosting entity (not a big deal) and they can keep using iWeb for their sites after doing so.

Blorzoga
Jun 12, 2011, 10:49 PM

Read it again.

Sent from my iPhone

Translation:

Dear Mr. Jobs:

*question is asked*

If you listened to Steve Jobs ar WWDC, you would have heard Jobs himself demeaning MobileMe. The questioner was merely carrying on the theme that Jobs implicitly endorsed. I seriously doubt he responded that way because he was offended.

liavman
Jun 12, 2011, 10:52 PM
I can't imagine the Gallery disappearing, but I can see why iWeb is going. I like it, I use it (none of the templates for photos, movie and so on), and I'll have to find something else.

From what I've seen, the people who like iWeb wanted something very easy, and most didn't use the page templates. Look at iWeb - it had an "about me" page (with a section for "my favourite songs", and "my favourite web links"), a photo page, blog page, podcast page - it was about taking stuff from iLife and making a personal website, and it came out just when Facebook took off. So here I was picking a basic page from a theme and then creating my own websites from that, which was never really the intention of iWeb.

In terms of the original intention of iWeb, Apple would be better off creating their own social networking website. Integrate the logins for AppleID, Twitter, Game Centre, Ping and add the Gallery - and you've got an easy start to a facebook competitor.

Your iPhone updates where you are, your photos get published via photo-stream (restricted to friends and those identified in the photos?), your tweets are displayed, you have a list (with links) of "most listened to" and "5 star" songs, books you're reading, maybe your most used bookmarks ("favourite links"), you have a public calendar, you can challenge people to a game on game centre...

iWeb just didn't go the way Apple wanted.

Sounds like a possible course of action for Apple to take. If ever Apple does this, we will have to come back to this thread and give credit to you! May be this twitter relationship has more meat to it than what is currently believed.

I think techies in this thread who say 'go host your page somewhere else', do not understand that for a vast majority of people out there it is quite a mountain to climb. It is like some car enthusiast telling me, 'Oh your car does not run well, just replace the Johnson Rods, it is the simplest thing to do'.. Apple should be able to spin off the 'publish to mobileme' infrastructure to someone else and let them make a business out of it. I will gladly take it on for $20.00 a year per subscriber, if Steve offered it to me. Why? Because my customer acquisition costs are zero and I may have other things that these good folks will be interested in.

bommai
Jun 12, 2011, 10:55 PM
Also, what is going to happen to iDisk after MobileMe is gone?

MacFly123
Jun 12, 2011, 10:56 PM
It sucks, but not a total surprise.

Ya I love iWeb since I don't care about having a complex website. I just use it for a simple solution to post my portfolio. But ya, I saw this coming for a while since they haven't been updating it or mentioning it as part of iLife anymore.

Also, what is going to happen to iDisk after MobileMe is gone?

Probably will be gone too :( I use this all the time to send video previews to clients along with iWeb to post video previews for clients and it is so simple :(

Blorzoga
Jun 12, 2011, 10:58 PM
Dickish? I think it's remarkably honest. He's right to the point, unafraid to say yes and no even when it's bad news. That's actually a sign of an honest person. A more direct and less circuitous response style tends to indicate a truthful personality. It's "dickish" only if you're overly sensitive.

It may be remarkably honest, but it shows a total lack of compassion for the questioner's dilemma ( i.e. that he'd spent alot of time on setting his website up). He could have just as easily replied, "yes, unfortunately we are discontinuing the service". Just as honest and to the point, but showing a bit more compassion. "Yep" just shows his arrogance and shows the questioner that he doesn't care if his work has been wasted.

Slurpy2k8
Jun 12, 2011, 11:04 PM
You people are hilarious. All indignant over Steve's response, HOW DARE HE, he should have profusely apologized to the questioner, and begged his forgiveness for discontinuing iWeb. Is what you people wanted? Or did you need want him to offer up consulting services? Why do all of you have a need to be coddled like fragile babies? He asked a question, and got the answer- an answer most rational people would have predicted.

iWeb is complete ****. Apple didn't even bother to touch it with the iLife11 update, and they hardly touched it with the 09 update. It's a rotting product. There's a million and one alternatives, all of which are better. I haven't ran across any websites created with iWeb for a long, long time, (you can tell straight away) so I doubt they are very numerous. Nor are they complex. Yes, some may be inconvenienced by being forced to transition, but that's the nature of change, and honestly iWeb is the least robust editor I've ever used, so I doubt these websites are representing anything of great importance or financial value. Most web-based editors are more powerful and flexible.

We got a full year of notice- until June 2012. I could probably convert any iWeb site to Wordpress, etc in a day. There's nothing unreasonable about the situation, so quit the faux outrage and bitching. Apple has had a history of agressively culling their stagnant software/hardware, and it's served them well.

Rajani Isa
Jun 12, 2011, 11:09 PM
He did. He answered the question. Brief? Yes.

Frankly, it's almost unreal to get non-marketing-sanitized replies from a person who gets to make decisions.

Flippant? Flippant would be something like "Of course we are! That's why we updated it with the rest of iLife!" or something in that vein.

Given that the sender's livelihood depends on the recipient, then YES. You fanboys are starting to sound like Apple ownership is some sort of honour. They are a business, they need to treat the customers like they are where the money comes from!
How does Steve Jobs' livelihood depend on the recipient? Apple depends not on any single person, nor does Steve Jobs' livelihood.

The htc CEO realises without customers their company is nothing, it seems Steve thinks otherwise.Chou may of signed off on it, but that screams "CERTIFIED AND WRITTEN BY PR" to me.

What a pain in the ass moving all my files off of my iDisk is going to be :( Haven't used Dropbox, but I know it's easy to share (even modify online depending on permissions set) with GoogleDocs.

syaman
Jun 12, 2011, 11:11 PM
Since iWeb (the website creation tool) itself isn't going away, all one needs to do is set it to FTP your website (instead of to MobileMe iDisk). Just look for shared webhosting - which can be as low as $1+ per month, depending on your requirements.

Won't be endorsing any particular webhost on this thread, but you can take a look at this section of WebHostingTalk for possibilities

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

mac9000
Jun 12, 2011, 11:12 PM
I always hated the fact that MobileMe was required for so many iLife functions. iWeb can publish to folder, but there are a lot of MobileMe-only features.

I didn't want to pay $100/year for a hosting service that doesn't give enough space for its price. I also heard that it's not very reliable.

AidenShaw
Jun 12, 2011, 11:14 PM
Wirefully posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0))

That sucks. What will happen to all my photos and videos on MobileMe. Almost 18gb

Quick, copy them to your local hard drives....

mac9000
Jun 12, 2011, 11:14 PM
Since iWeb (the website creation tool) itself isn't going away, all one needs to do is set it to FTP your website (instead of to MobileMe iDisk). Just look for shared webhosting - which can be as low as $1+ per month, depending on your requirements.

Won't be endorsing any particular webhost on this thread, but you can take a look at this section of WebHostingTalk for possibilities

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

I self-host :) with a little port-forwarding, and I can think of names way better than MobileMe. Why doesn't Apple use "iSync" or "iLife.com"?

Rot'nApple
Jun 12, 2011, 11:15 PM
I don't understand how. Is he supposed to reply in proper english.

Yep! :rolleyes:
/
/
/

robanga
Jun 12, 2011, 11:16 PM
We have 4 sites within our family alone. I use iWeb for one of them. The others are all done via Sandvox and hosted elsewhere. I enjoyed working with iWeb but things change. I think i am going to continue with Sandvox for at least two of them and give Squarespace a whirl.

mac9000
Jun 12, 2011, 11:17 PM
Yep! :rolleyes:
/
/
/

I wonder if someone could self-host a "MobileMe server" and mod all of the apps to use it instead of the real MobileMe? Free MobileMe!!! :D

mac9000
Jun 12, 2011, 11:18 PM
We have 4 sites within our family alone. I use iWeb for one of them. The others are all done via Sandvox and hosted elsewhere. I enjoyed working with iWeb but things change. I think i am going to continue with Sandvox for at least two of them and give Squarespace a whirl.

I just publish iWeb to a folder that I give HTTPS access to.

3goldens
Jun 12, 2011, 11:19 PM
It was easy and it was convenient. Reasons why products are discontinued like this are rarely explained to consumers. We have no idea how many sites were hosted by Apple, whether it was a true failure for them monetarily. That is the reason things like get tossed in the can, right, its not making any money for them.

People keep asking about Mobil Galleries and idisk, guys, no one knows! Why do you all keep asking the same question over and over, what about this what about that, do you really think your going to get an official answer here?? PLUUUEESE, settle down!

We know that there will be a form of mobil galleries in photo stream and the ability to move photos before your 30 days is up to other folders.

That to me indicates some level of photo sharing.

And you know what, if Apple doesn't do it some other smart company will come along and fill that void, which probably could happen actually with iweb and the whole hosting issue.

Personally, I think idisk will be incorporated into the cloud somehow when you buy additional space, Apple is not about to just do away with an i product with a name like that! Come on, the term idisk is a brand now for them now.

This whole process will be a lot more streamlined than people are thinking right now and only time will tell.

We need to patient and see how this all flushes out, its clear theres a lot more to come in the fall so lets not all get our panties all bunched up so early in the summer!
CHILL!:cool:

Rot'nApple
Jun 12, 2011, 11:24 PM
That's absolutely fine.

I thought he was on medical leave and away from those day to day stuff. Surely if he is browsing his e-mail and cares to reply, he could have offered at least a sentence!

Who has one word conversations?

Steve,

'Sup?

iWeb!

Dead?

Later... :D:apple:

Bernard SG
Jun 12, 2011, 11:30 PM
The problem with Steve Jobs reply is not that it's terse or dick-ish but that it's actually ambiguous.
Not sure what he's saying "Yep" to: iWeb software discontinued? Apple's Web-hosting finished? Or the fact that retraining will suck?
:D

Personally I believe that Apple is willing to come up with some better alternatives linked to iCloud for all the features of MobileMe, but they're still trying to figure it out.
I think GregA's analysis is spot on: if Apple is to improve its footprint in terms of web-services, they have to integrate a significant amount of "social" in their offer, encompassing Mac users and Mobile (iOS) users. It's a tough predicament, given how popular and powerful Facebook and Twitter already are, as well as Google and Wordpress. They would have to come up with something HUGE that will convince users to switch to Apple's services.
iWeb is a cool solution for basic stuff but it isn't popular and doesn't have the critical mass to justify a continuation.
Clearly, at this point in time, Apple focuses more on the most useful and urgent features for its cloud offer, the stuff that Apple can't rely on third parties (like DropBox) to handle.

justbobf
Jun 12, 2011, 11:31 PM

Flickr

Rot'nApple
Jun 12, 2011, 11:32 PM
If we are going to talk about Rules of being a CEO he'd be in a tie and jacket and "fans" wouldn't even have his e-mail address. Steve has never been one to comply to society's expectations.

Steve in plenty of shirt, ties and jackets here! :rolleyes:

http://www.allaboutstevejobs.com/bio/short/short.html

robanga
Jun 12, 2011, 11:33 PM
Flickr

Yes:

Flickr
Picasa
Several others - Facebook for that matter.

scarecrowmac
Jun 12, 2011, 11:35 PM
do you think this means a new iwork? all of iworks apps have a "share to iwork" option. or will there be a small update that removes this option?

ten-oak-druid
Jun 12, 2011, 11:36 PM
So what html editors are there that are similar to iweb?

I used to work with netscape composer and bbedit. But I got spoiled with iweb. I know iweb may be insufficient for some but it met my needs. Well the first version didn't but eventually it grew with enough features to sell me on it.

I'm still not sure I believe Apple will do away with iWeb. I think it more likely that Apple will stop hosting our sites. But why get rid of a working application? Future development only means removing the option of publishing to mobileme and an occasional extra feature. I just want to look at options in case it does go away.

By the way if iweb is no longer officially supported, is there any reason to think an existing copy would not run in Lion?

As for the Gallery, I think that will be part of the icloud. The ability to post and view picture and video is integrated into iOS devices including AppleTV. I think it would really take away from these devices to not allow easy posting and viewing of homemade media.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wDkOwxqKmsM/SHOuwx0-wkI/AAAAAAAABHE/b90jlp2X24Y/s400/Rolling+Stones+-+Get+Off+Of+My+Cloud.jpg

jaekid
Jun 12, 2011, 11:38 PM
Just my opinion but if you're using iWeb and conjunction with MobileMe hosting, you've bigger problems. Not saying that iWeb sucks, it's an ok alternative for non-web devs/designers but it doesn't even receive a B for website creation tool for non-web devs/designers.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 12, 2011, 11:45 PM
Just my opinion but if you're using iWeb and conjunction with MobileMe hosting, you've bigger problems. Not saying that iWeb sucks, it's an ok alternative for non-web devs/designers but it doesn't even receive a B for website creation tool for non-web devs/designers.

You can purchase your own domain name and have mobileme host it. That is what I did. I can always host the domain elsewhere if necessary.

Also it all depends on what you want out of a site. It suited my needs just fine.

syaman
Jun 12, 2011, 11:49 PM

Try these:

Sandvox
http://www.karelia.com/sandvox/

RapidWeaver
http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/overview/

Riot Nrrrd
Jun 12, 2011, 11:50 PM
iWeb -> Share to folder + DynDNS free account + Personal Web Sharing -> ON == done.

Slurpy2k8
Jun 12, 2011, 11:50 PM

I used to work with netscape composer and bbedit. But I got spoiled with iweb. I know iweb may be insufficient for some but it met my needs. Well the first version didn't but eventually it grew with enough features to sell me on it.

I'm still not sure I believe Apple will do away with iWeb. I think it more likely that Apple will stop hosting our sites. But why get rid of a working application? Future development only means removing the option of publishing to mobileme and an occasional extra feature. I just want to look at options in case it does go away.

By the way if iweb is no longer officially supported, is there any reason to think an existing copy would not run in Lion?

As for the Gallery, I think that will be part of the icloud. The ability to post and view picture and video is integrated into iOS devices including AppleTV. I think it would really take away from these devices to not allow easy posting and viewing of homemade media.

Image (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wDkOwxqKmsM/SHOuwx0-wkI/AAAAAAAABHE/b90jlp2X24Y/s400/Rolling+Stones+-+Get+Off+Of+My+Cloud.jpg)

Newsflash- we're not in 1990 anymore, or whenever the hell netscape composer and bbedit were in use. There's a million solid options, are better than iWeb, and very easy/intuitive. I don't believe Apple should waste it's resources developing a successor to this app, it doesn't really fit into their product line, as there's excellent options already.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 12, 2011, 11:54 PM
Newsflash- we're not in 1990 anymore, or whenever the hell netscape composer and bbedit were in use. There's a million solid options, are better than iWeb, and very easy/intuitive. I don't believe Apple should waste it's resources developing a successor to this app, it doesn't really fit into their product line, as there's excellent options already.

Newsflash: I asked what other people are using. Thanks for the rant though.

I like iweb Got a problem with that? I don't really care.

X38
Jun 12, 2011, 11:57 PM
#$%^ you Steve Jobs!

If you force me to move my web sites and shift to something other than iWeb, I want a refund for every dollar I've ever spent on .mac & mobile me.

Time to retire and let somebody else run Apple.

mac9000
Jun 12, 2011, 11:59 PM
do you think this means a new iwork? all of iworks apps have a "share to iwork" option. or will there be a small update that removes this option?

Go to iWork.com, I don't know if Apple is keeping this or not. It was announced a while ago.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 13, 2011, 12:00 AM
You know the truth is that Apple hasn't said for certain what is to become of the idisk and web site hosting. All they have done is preview some features and actually start to roll a few out. Over the next year, there may be more announcements.

I really don't think it will be a problem for Apple to continue hosting web sites and allowing idisk. Think about it. No charge for uploading all your movies and music. But 20GB for idisk and a small web site will use up the storage capacity of the new facility?

mac9000
Jun 13, 2011, 12:00 AM
#$%^ you Steve Jobs!

If you force me to move my web sites and shift to something other than iWeb, I want a refund for every dollar I've ever spent on .mac & mobile me.

Steve hated MobileMe (if you read an earlier article about him cussing out its creators). Face it, it's a mess, and in my opinion, you shouldn't have used it.

X38
Jun 13, 2011, 12:08 AM

I agree completely. This icloud BS is a retarded joke. Definitely Apple's Zune moment. It has been building for awhile, but it is DEFINITELY time for Jobs to leave or be forced out again. It's just like the days when they were stuck with the original Mac design because Jobs insisted it had to be that way and they had to kick him out of the company before they could bring out the first really successful Mac - the II.

Getting rid of iWeb, galleries, iDisk, etc. is an absolute slap in the face to their loyal customers.

thelonelylimo
Jun 13, 2011, 12:10 AM
#$%^ you Steve Jobs!

no.

Texran
Jun 13, 2011, 12:11 AM

Depends on your needs. I've been very happy with inmotionhosting for years. They are very affordable and can satisfy almost anyone.

http://www.inmotionhosting.com/hostingplans.html

X38
Jun 13, 2011, 12:11 AM
Steve hated MobileMe (if you read an earlier article about him cussing out its creators). Face it, it's a mess, and in my opinion, you shouldn't have used it.

Apple sold it, I bought it, it worked just fine for what I needed. I have a significant amount of time & money invested in it and now Apple is screwing me. It's a dick move and the end of Jobs' usefulness in returning to Apple. He did some good things, but this is the point at which the company will be better off without him.

mac9000
Jun 13, 2011, 12:14 AM
Apple sold it, I bought it, it worked just fine for what I needed. I have a significant amount of time & money invested in it and now Apple is screwing me. It's a **** move and the end of Jobs' usefulness in returning to Apple. He did some good things, but this is the point at which the company will be better off without him.

But doesn't MobileMe need to change? It was pretty messy and didn't have enough features. Also, I'm Apple will most likely give MobileMe users credit for iCloud.

Rot'nApple
Jun 13, 2011, 12:14 AM

Read it again.

Dear Mr. Jobs:

*question is asked*

But first need to change signature from "Sent from my iPhone" to...

Steve Jobs noted that Apple had tried cloud service. Steve Jobs noted that Apple had tried cloud services before. He said that some would say: “Why should I believe them? They’re the ones that brought me Mobile Me."

He admitted that Mobile Me, the cloud service that stores photos, contacts, emails and calenders, “wasn’t our finest hour but we learned a lot.” :D

X38
Jun 13, 2011, 12:18 AM
You people are hilarious. All indignant over Steve's response, HOW DARE HE, he should have profusely apologized to the questioner, and begged his forgiveness for discontinuing iWeb. Is what you people wanted? Or did you need want him to offer up consulting services? Why do all of you have a need to be coddled like fragile babies? He asked a question, and got the answer- an answer most rational people would have predicted.

iWeb is complete ****. Apple didn't even bother to touch it with the iLife11 update, and they hardly touched it with the 09 update. It's a rotting product. There's a million and one alternatives, all of which are better. I haven't ran across any websites created with iWeb for a long, long time, (you can tell straight away) so I doubt they are very numerous. Nor are they complex. Yes, some may be inconvenienced by being forced to transition, but that's the nature of change, and honestly iWeb is the least robust editor I've ever used, so I doubt these websites are representing anything of great importance or financial value. Most web-based editors are more powerful and flexible.

We got a full year of notice- until June 2012. I could probably convert any iWeb site to Wordpress, etc in a day. There's nothing unreasonable about the situation, so quit the faux outrage and bitching. Apple has had a history of agressively culling their stagnant software/hardware, and it's served them well.

You are an extremely uncouth person. Yes, Jobs should apologize for screwing his customers and yes he should change course.
Apple marketed iWeb and for a lot of people such as myself it worked just fine. I was happy with the price that I paid for it and I have significant time & money invested in what I have done with it. It is ABSOLUTELY reasonable that I expected Apple to return that loyalty. This is plain & simple an inexcusable dick move by Apple and it is ridiculous for you or anyone else to defend it by criticizing those who are damaged by this.
Time for Jobs to leave!

X38
Jun 13, 2011, 12:20 AM
But doesn't MobileMe need to change? It was pretty messy and didn't have enough features. Also, I'm Apple will most likely give MobileMe users credit for iCloud.

Not in way that screws existing MobileMe customers. Otherwise I want a complete refund for every cent I've ever spent on it.

I'm Horus
Jun 13, 2011, 12:22 AM
What is going to happen with the @mac.com email? Will be able to use it after 2012 jun?

X38
Jun 13, 2011, 12:27 AM
Really? Honesty is a dickish reply?

I personally chuckled at the having to retrain comment from the concerned iWeb user.

You truly don't understand the W3C Specs and other Javascript/jQuery/SproutCore/Capuccino/MochiKit/PHP5/Java/SQL ,etc by how you learn a software tool that automates part of your work.

It just doesn't happen. You learn it by studying the APIs and the repetitive application of it's designs.

Your comment is completely useless. iWeb was marketed to people who wanted to create a simple web page with all that stuff you mentioned. It works just fine for those of us who use it. This is Apple customer relations at its absolute worst.

X38
Jun 13, 2011, 12:34 AM
I hate to see iweb go. it had lots of potential for people who want to make a nice quick website.

as for his response it doesnt surprise me his response his a little cocky or rude. The person is upset about losing iweb. Steve is worried about his health. He is suffering from cancer, so why does he care about the schmucks who cant use iweb.

steve may lose his life from cancer and none of his billions will save him, just like george harrison. Jobs doesnt give a crap about any mac user

Exactly why he should leave Apple now.

AidenShaw
Jun 13, 2011, 12:35 AM
What is going to happen with the @mac.com email? Will be able to use it after 2012 jun?

Regardless of how long it works - people are laughing at you for using an "Apple fan" domain.

Move to someplace else as soon as you can.

skellener
Jun 13, 2011, 12:41 AM
Newsflash: I asked what other people are using. Thanks for the rant though. I think you can still use iWeb. You just can't use it with the Apple hosting that's all. You should be able to save your site locally and then upload it elsewhere (and even get your own domain now). There's also Sandvox (http://www.karelia.com/sandvox) and Rapidweaver (http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/overview) if you are interested in trying similar software. Or as someone else mentioned, Squarespace (http://www.squarespace.com) is pretty cool too. But I think iWeb will continue to work just fine. It's just a bit more work to host it somewhere other than Apple.

cmaier
Jun 13, 2011, 12:42 AM
Apple sold it, I bought it, it worked just fine for what I needed. I have a significant amount of time & money invested in it and now Apple is screwing me. It's a dick move and the end of Jobs' usefulness in returning to Apple. He did some good things, but this is the point at which the company will be better off without him.

That's a bit of an overreaction, no? Eliminating iweb will have almost no impact to Apple's bottom line or its stockholders. And that's how a CEO's "usefulness" is judged.

michaelcyee
Jun 13, 2011, 12:44 AM
Are all these Steve Jobs emails legit? Steve is quite the man of few words (almost like a text message rather than an email). I remember the last time we had a story about an email (about SaaS) his answer was so vague that we were debating about what he really meant to say for a few pages.

saltspringer
Jun 13, 2011, 12:45 AM
iWeb's biting the dust?

Good riddance - it was a piece of junk anyway.

I have a lot of respect for most Apple software, but iWeb was a blemish on its backside.

skellener
Jun 13, 2011, 01:00 AM

You should be able to save your iWeb site locally and just upload elsewhere. Don't reg a domain with GoDaddy. If you find a good web host, sometimes when you are a new customer they will let you reg the domain with them for free the first year. Look around. Thee are plenty of places to host from. The cheapest is NOT always the best.

I've used a number of hosts. I really like MacHighway (www.machighway.com). They aren't the cheapest, but they have very good support and don't try to scam you. Some of the cheaper services will opt you into things unless you specifically respond to them a certain way which they make deceptive. MacHighway offer a web disk that uses WebDAV so you can mount it just like an iDisk.

While Dropbox is an awesome service (it's really the iDisk that Apple always wanted to offer but never got it right - Dropbox did get it right), I wouldn't use it to host a website. Find a good web host. You'll be fine.

Journojulz
Jun 13, 2011, 01:01 AM
i like iWeb as a cms. (Content is what matters to me)

Will just shift my hosting elsewhere (1and1).
No worries.

opeter
Jun 13, 2011, 01:08 AM
If you want a nice WYSIWYG editor, than there are applications like: RapidWeaver (http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/overview/) or Flux (http://www.theescapers.com/flux/).

Especially Flux is a really nice application.

LastLine
Jun 13, 2011, 01:10 AM

Two options.
One is to DropBox it all, Dropbox has a public folder that lets you share online - I haven't tried it as a web host but in theory? Could work
DropBox Link (https://www.dropbox.com/)

The second is GoDaddy - I find them excellent for uptime and service and non too tricky to use. They have lots of hosting options available, shop around and see what fits. I pay around £20 for a year with domain for www.clarkeapps.com and have more than enough.
Go Daddy Link (https://www.godaddy.com/)

Please note those are both referral links and do benefit me in a small way, but I 100% endorse the products themselves.

johneaston
Jun 13, 2011, 01:39 AM
users will indeed need to find alternative hosting for their sites once MobileMe is officially discontinued.

I'm a bit dumb-struck. I use iWeb for my business website, but don't use MobileMe to host it.

Have I read it right that iWeb is being discontinued or is it just Apple's hosting of iWeb websites?

Seems really odd to me that Apple would discontinue a product that allows people to make their mark on the world wide web when the net is such a large part of people's lives these days.

Why?

LastLine
Jun 13, 2011, 02:09 AM
I'm a bit dumb-struck. I use iWeb for my business website, but don't use MobileMe to host it.

Why?
Since day one iweb's code had been inefficient and non standards complient resulting in slow, often messy pages.

Put into context if you think of an iWeb page as a car and the code as the engine you'd have a car that has part of the engine in the bonnet, part in the boot, coolant in the passengers seat and spark plugs attached to the string wheel, and tips out at 30mph.

As others suggest, though it's be a small learning time try rapid weaver. Much tidied and much more flexible.

johneaston
Jun 13, 2011, 02:21 AM
I have tried dreamweaver but simply didn't get it. I like the drag-and-drop of iWeb.

Also, I seem to remember DW wasn't exactly cheap.

Still seems really odd to me that Apple are just discontinuing iWeb rather than making it better.

Takeo
Jun 13, 2011, 02:24 AM
i like iWeb as a cms. (Content is what matters to me)

Will just shift my hosting elsewhere (1and1).
No worries.

Sounds good but just to be clear, iweb is not a CMS... it's an editor.

Snowy_River
Jun 13, 2011, 02:37 AM
Since day one iweb's code had been inefficient and non standards complient resulting in slow, often messy pages.

Put into context if you think of an iWeb page as a car and the code as the engine you'd have a car that has part of the engine in the bonnet, part in the boot, coolant in the passengers seat and spark plugs attached to the string wheel, and tips out at 30mph.

As others suggest, though it's be a small learning time try rapid weaver. Much tidied and much more flexible.

That's a gross exaggeration of the inefficiencies of iWeb. While it leaves a lot to be desired, it also got a number of things right. That fact is evidenced by the number of people who are here and elsewhere saying that this is bad news.

As for RapidWeaver...

I have tried dreamweaver but simply didn't get it. I like the drag-and-drop of iWeb.

Also, I seem to remember DW wasn't exactly cheap.

Still seems really odd to me that Apple are just discontinuing iWeb rather than making it better.

I would tend to agree. The non-WYSIWYG interface of RW just drives me nuts. I don't want to have to switch back and forth with a preview pane. Even back in the days that I coded websites using GoLive, the main display gave a pretty authentic WYSIWYG display of what you were working on.

In my time using iWeb, I have had plenty of complaints about it, but none have been sufficient to drive me to other platforms for the basic sites that I develop. But I have been consistently hoping for an update that would address some of the shortcomings of the software. I was VERY disappointed when no update came with iLife '11. Now, long and short, if there really isn't going to be any more updates, while it's true that iWeb will continue working, I have little motivation to try to stick to iWeb instead of finding a decent replacement for it.

From this thread, I've picked up leads on Sandvox and Flux. Both look interesting. Flux looks a little more powerful and versatile, but Sandvox looks a little easier to work with. I really wish that someone would do a real head-to-head comparison between these applications: iWeb; Sandvox; Flux. How do their features compare? What's easy in one but hard in another? And so on...

petvas
Jun 13, 2011, 02:46 AM

If he chooses to reply to an email, then he should do it properly.

ikir
Jun 13, 2011, 02:57 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; it-it) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

RapidWeaver is quite good and available on Mac App Store. Webspave is not a problem.
iWeb was quite good IMHO for who don't know HTML. But there are many other solutions. Flux is good, and Coda (only for hand coders) is awesome.

wilhoitm
Jun 13, 2011, 03:00 AM

stevensr123, you are totally missing the point. If you really want to see how evil politically correct corporate BS is just watch the movie Office Space, please watch the clips below! Also, the HTC CEO is a nobody, once he changes the World he will proabably respond in a different manner. You might want to "go ahead" and read up on Steve Jobs, no offense but it seems you are a fish out of water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfSAcVq6s9c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGS2tKQhdhY

Marcus

Nixy
Jun 13, 2011, 03:25 AM
Just to put things in context the subject line read, 'Is iweb as dead as mobileme?' Most people who get a response say you have to pretty much put the question as the subject so I did. As someone else pointed out icloud can't just be about calendar and music and bookmark pushing. people are still going to want to blog and build sites. I reckon they will have to come up with something in the next ilife, lets face it, ilife 11 was pretty disappointing and a bit of a cleanup exercise.

Nixy
Jun 13, 2011, 03:36 AM
Can someone shed some light on the "training"? I'm a web developer and I'm a bit confused on what the writers reference to re-training was? Don't you just build you site and find a host?

Update: So its an application that uploads to iWeb? As mentioned by another poster, Wordpress is a great option, its free and with most major hosting, there is a Wordpress install plug in, you don't even need to know how to set it up. Its part of the control panel, you just need to initiate the install.

The reason I used the word training in my mail to Steve is because I don't do code. I do however live in iwork which makes iweb easy and intuitive. Even though I have just set up wordpress on my 1and1 account it looks clunky and I will have to spend ages working out how to get a look that takes seconds in iweb.

Nixy
Jun 13, 2011, 03:46 AM

I guess it was kind of dickish of me but I actually put the question in the subject line which is probably why I got a response. It was not reproduced in the macrumors article but read 'is iweb as dead as mobileme?'

NightFox
Jun 13, 2011, 03:48 AM

Nah, keep the logo - retro chic!

boomish
Jun 13, 2011, 04:05 AM

I too use iWeb for my main website, it's been fine, it reads everywhere, I have loads of comments from people on how easy it is to read & navigate. I have put a lot of work into getting it up & running. Very pissed off Apple are ditching us without an explanation.
I understand it's not the best web editor out there, but it does and has worked fine for many users, it's not that I mind it going, progress and all that it's just the way it's been handled, like no info at all!!! So after the last keynote note everyone is left wondering WTF is happening to all our work we have put into iWeb and iDisk????? this is unprofessional and unforgivable disloyalty to their customers..Even if it was a simple "sorry but we have decided not to continue these products "etc etc..

Nixy
Jun 13, 2011, 04:05 AM
Frankly I can't thinking that there is more to this than how it has been painted. "Yep" isn't really Jobs style. He's succinct but he is usually more clear with the phrasing. "iWeb is done" is more Job's tone.

If the headers are real then I can't help wondering if they were for a computer on the Campus and perhaps the one in Jobs office. But it doesn't mean he was sitting behind it. Could have an assistant who doesn't perhaps know the full score.

Could be that the answer was iWeb is gone, but no mention of the new program that will take its place. or no mention of idisk's successor. But the person reporting this to the site painted it differently.

Subject: Re: is iweb as dead as mobileme?
Date: 12 June 2011 20:04:22 GMT+01:00
To:
Return-Path: <sjobs@apple.com>
Received: from bulkin002-bge351000.mac.com ([10.150.69.129]) by ms02011.mac.com (Oracle Communications Messaging Exchange Server 7u4-22.01 64bit (built Apr 21 2011)) with ESMTP id <0LMO005GSYBLZL30@ms02011.mac.com> for Sun, 12 Jun 2011 19:04:33 +0000 (GMT)
Received: from relay13.apple.com ([17.128.113.29]) by bulkin002.mac.com (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server 6.3-7.02 (built Jun 27 2008; 32bit)) with ESMTP id <0LMO00K7ZYBLOS50@bulkin002.mac.com> for (ORCPT ); Sun, 12 Jun 2011 12:04:33 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from kencur (kencur.apple.com [17.151.62.38]) (using TLS with cipher RC4-MD5 (RC4-MD5/128 bits)) (Client did not present a certificate) by relay13.apple.com (Apple SCV relay) with SMTP id C2.6E.29082.1CD05FD4; Sun, 12 Jun 2011 12:04:33 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from [10.65.24.226] (166-205-137-011.mobile.mymmode.com [166.205.137.11]) by kencur.apple.com (Oracle Communications Messaging Exchange Server 7u4-20.01 64bit (built Nov 21 2010)) with ESMTPSA id <0LMO001H8Y8HJ340@kencur.apple.com> for ; Sun, 12 Jun 2011 12:04:33 -0700 (PDT)
Original-Recipient: rfc822;
X-Auditid: 1180711d-b7c70ae00000719a-09-4df50dc15ca4
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
Content-Type: text/plain; CHARSET=US-ASCII
References: <2E8B1E6B-BCE6-4921-ACFE-632CDE2A81F2@me.com>
X-Mailer: iPhone Mail (8C148)
In-Reply-To: <2E8B1E6B-BCE6-4921-ACFE-632CDE2A81F2@me.com>
Message-Id: <4D3CBFBF-6237-4896-8ACF-31392F484BC3@apple.com>
X-Brightmail-Tracker: AAAAAQAAAZE=

drayon
Jun 13, 2011, 04:07 AM
Steve shows his true colours again, worse than Bill Gates and all the other sleaze bag's in the corporate world. Suck people into buying their stuff, then discontinue stuff and abandon it's users on the sly while not having the balls to be up front about it. How many billion in the bank do you need?

NightFox
Jun 13, 2011, 04:10 AM

Yes, but the HTC response was an official company statement (rather like Jobs saying how crap MM was as WWDC); Job's response was a personal reply to an email.

At the end of the day, this is how SJ has always responded to this type of email and it doesn't seem to have done Apple much harm to date (although I do imagine it sometimes puts his PR people in a flap). Yes, it can be considered rude and arrogant, but I'd suggest that the majority of people who chose to email him directly know damn well that if they get an answer, it'll be of this nature and would be disappointed if rather than getting an (in)famous one word response from SJ, they instead ended up with a detailed corporate response from some CS agent.

YMMV but personally I appreciate answers that are to the point; a "no" is a "no" whether it's a single word or half a page of insincere apologies and excuses.

drayon
Jun 13, 2011, 04:11 AM
Hey Steve, donate iWeb to a 3rd party so as to allow them to continue development.
Think of others before you go wanting people to donate their organs to you.

NightFox
Jun 13, 2011, 04:15 AM
...Suck people into buying their stuff, then discontinue stuff and abandon it's users on the sly while not having the balls to be up front about it.

The service looks like it'll be running until June 2012, iCloud was announced just one week ago and doesn't go live until Autumn/Fall, Apple have always given good notice of impending changes affecting iTools/.Mac/MobileMe to their customers, so what are you basing your comments on?

Nixy
Jun 13, 2011, 04:15 AM

Read it again.

Sent from my iPhone

Translation:

Dear Mr. Jobs:

*question is asked*

Ok, dickish email but the question was in the unpublished subject line for which I got the answer I asked for, but not the one I was looking for.

chadley_chad
Jun 13, 2011, 04:22 AM

No, but you'd think he'd be a bit more gracious to those that have helped put his empire where it is today!

jowie
Jun 13, 2011, 04:26 AM
The most important for me is Back To My Mac.

:confused:

chadley_chad
Jun 13, 2011, 04:30 AM
[QUOTE=johneaston;12745183]I'm a bit dumb-struck. I use iWeb for my business website, but don't use MobileMe to host it.

Have I read it right that iWeb is being discontinued or is it just Apple's hosting of iWeb websites?

Seems really odd to me that Apple would discontinue a product that allows people to make their mark on the world wide web when the net is such a large part of people's lives these days.

Would you be able to explain how you run a site away from Mobile Me for the benefit of me and others? I have several iWeb created sites hosted on Mobile Me; and I'm thinking that I can still use iWeb after the changes (which is great), I just need to find a new way of hosting. My email is chadley_chad@hotmail.com .... any help much appreciated!!!!

jlc1978
Jun 13, 2011, 04:35 AM
Some people will be upset of course, but really, iWeb is junk... and I'm sure people were upset when Hypercard was kill too.
The difference being Hypercard wasn't junk - it let you do a lot of really neat things very easily. In many ways it was one of the best examples of Apple's approach to design and usability and actually cross platform.
Nothing I've seen comes close.

OllyW
Jun 13, 2011, 04:49 AM
Steve Jobs would get into trouble if he posted on these forums...

Useless and one-word posts. Do not bother making posts with only one or two words (e.g., "cool" or LOL) or a smilie, or post simply to have the first reply in a thread. Such posts waste everyone's time and will be deleted. Posts saying "I agree", "+1", "this", "me too", or the equivalent are also routinely removed, so don't post them. If you aren't interested in a thread, skip the thread; don't post to tell us you aren't interested. If you celebrate making the first post in a news thread, your post will be deleted.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Things_Not_to_Do

Wordman
Jun 13, 2011, 04:50 AM
Busy CEO, making time to answer. A little courtesy would only make him look better though. Let's face it, he could be more positive and polite.

Similarly, shouldn't we be doing the same thing in this forum? I applaud all those people who've ignored the opportunity to criticise, and instead have made suggestions to the guy on how he can best maintain his site. That's what this forum should be all about.

sananda
Jun 13, 2011, 04:59 AM
Steve Jobs would get into trouble if he posted on these forums...

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Things_Not_to_Do

Well that explains why we don't hear from him aroud here!

Lebensmuede
Jun 13, 2011, 05:28 AM
iWeb -> Share to folder + DynDNS free account + Personal Web Sharing -> ON == done.
Thanks for the tip, but I went there and got a little confused. When you try to register a free DynDNS account, they ask you to pay for a "Custom DynDNS" account for hosting websites. Could you please explain the difference?

Also, won't the web hosting features available in the server version of Lion make it possible and easy to host your own website, like it is now with the Snow Leopard version?

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/web-hosting.html

http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/

unexploded
Jun 13, 2011, 05:29 AM
iWeb is wank, no doubt.

I can't believe how brainwashed some Apple fans are, though. How can anyone justify Jobs' response to the person who sent the email? Rude and completely unprofessional, no matter how rich he is. I'm a big fan of Apple products, but there's no need for arrogance like that.

Anyway, why am I complaining. I'm placing an order for thousands of pounds worth of Apple equipment in the next couple of months for my company because there is no decent alternative to Apple. Great product, but the cult-like way of its business model makes me want to vomit.

I eagerly await flaming.

zephonic
Jun 13, 2011, 05:53 AM
I don't care about MobileMe, but the discontinuation of iWeb is bad news. There simply isn't an alternative that I'm aware of.

Freeway is good but definitely a lot more involved, you actually need to learn that.

Booh Apple.

bpaluzzi
Jun 13, 2011, 05:58 AM
#$%^ you Steve Jobs!

Good luck with that :rolleyes:

johnvr
Jun 13, 2011, 06:10 AM
iWeb is wank, no doubt.

I can't believe how brainwashed some Apple fans are, though. How can anyone justify Jobs' response to the person who sent the email? Rude and completely unprofessional, no matter how rich he is. I'm a big fan of Apple products, but there's no need for arrogance like that.

Anyway, why am I complaining. I'm placing an order for thousands of pounds worth of Apple equipment in the next couple of months for my company because there is no decent alternative to Apple. Great product, but the cult-like way of its business model makes me want to vomit.

I eagerly await flaming.

I actually agree. I like Apple products and keep on buying more, but I don't like the company and have a hard time with people who feel they need to justify Apple's behavior when they would blast other companies for the same attitude as Apple displays.

'Yep. Sorry' would have been fine and no more time, if the email is indeed from Jobs.

On iWeb, I never liked it, but I do understand that there are many people who want to simply put some site on the web and they see their solution vanish. I'm sure someone will step in and fill the gap, though.

markcres
Jun 13, 2011, 06:14 AM

I would expect him to behave like a civilised human being...and show some respect for a customer who helps pay his wages.

Jobs is a complete arrogrant prick...period !

gorgeousninja
Jun 13, 2011, 06:28 AM

I think the one thing that seems consistent with all these mails to Steve Jobs is just how incredibly rude people are to him...
Respect and politeness have all but vanished from the world to be replaced with this type of ignorant 'I'm so important' prig.

mkjj
Jun 13, 2011, 06:52 AM
iWeb is not crap for people like me who don't have a clue about web design (or the time to learn another package) and like the simplicity of managing 5 sites all through iWeb.

I have actual domains for these sites and now feel a steep learning curve coming on!

Thanks Apple :(

gorgeousninja
Jun 13, 2011, 07:16 AM
I would expect him to behave like a civilised human being...and show some respect for a customer who helps pay his wages.

Jobs is a complete arrogrant prick...period !

Try to see it his wayl... Here is a man ravaged by cancer, who has spent most of his life as head of the most important technology company in the world, dealing with umpteen problems in multitude of areas, and one of those hundreds of emails that he has to deal with is someone only days after a major keynote that showed Apple leading the way yet again, whinging about their website. I think Steve handled it better than you, me or anyone in such a high stress position would. And as you have no idea of what he is really like it seems you need to be more respectful in life too.

kalsta
Jun 13, 2011, 07:34 AM
I think the one thing that seems consistent with all these mails to Steve Jobs is just how incredibly rude people are to him...
Respect and politeness have all but vanished from the world to be replaced with this type of ignorant 'I'm so important' prig.

Certainly many of the comments here are of that nature. Some of them really are quite disturbing to read.

Let's take a reality pill people:

Apple is a commercial company which sells products and services by which it generates a profit. In order to do this it has to keep a majority of customers happy, or risk losing them.

From time to time, Apple makes difficult decisions about which products to invest ongoing development resources into, and which to discontinue. No doubt, the decision makers at Apple are aware that they can't please everybody all the time, but that's the nature of life and business.

Apple discontinues the MobileMe website hosting, and gives existing customers 12 months to find new hosting. iWeb, it seems, will not receive future updates, but that doesn't stop anyone from continuing to use it should they so desire.

A customer personally emails Steve Jobs (the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company, and someone with a lot on his mind no doubt, to say nothing of his personal health) a question and receives a personal answer. It's one word and straight to the point. (Perhaps the 'Yep' would have sounded better had it been a 'Yes', but that's probably splitting hairs.)

I've never mentioned it on here before, but I too have received a reply from Steve on a couple of occasions, some years before this became a popular sport. They were fairly brief, but you know what? I was thrilled that he actually took the time to read and reply. I only send him an email very occasionally, and prefer to direct most of my feedback via the standard feedback form on Apple's site, because I consider it a privilege (not a right) to be able to email a company CEO directly, and I don't want to abuse that privilege.

But it seems a lot of you see things very differently. I guess MobileMe was aptly named in a way, because this really does seem to be the 'me' generation.

silentnite
Jun 13, 2011, 07:35 AM
As good as a program iWeb may be.Things change and so should we. I'm sure we will find a replacement of something better or equal in due time. For those who have come to rely on this great application I sympathize with you. I kind of felt this same way when the white Macbook lost firewire.

*LTD*
Jun 13, 2011, 07:45 AM
There will always be someone who feels the loss of a product/service more than the next person.

"But what about PowerPC??"

"But what about Firewire?"

"What about my floppy drive?"

Tough. Try to adapt. Otherwise, you can use the competition's stuff. Which will likely have you coming back to Apple anyway.

jonnysods
Jun 13, 2011, 07:53 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

This sucks. I have a couple of old important websites that are committed to iWeb. I don't use it anymore for new stuff, but I need it!

diamond.g
Jun 13, 2011, 07:58 AM
There will always be someone who feels the loss of a product/service more than the next person.

"But what about PowerPC??"

"But what about Firewire?"

"What about my floppy drive?"

Tough. Try to adapt. Otherwise, you can use the competition's stuff. Which will likely have you coming back to Apple anyway.

But what is Apple offering in it's (iWeb) spot?

*LTD*
Jun 13, 2011, 08:06 AM
If you listened to Steve Jobs ar WWDC, you would have heard Jobs himself demeaning MobileMe. The questioner was merely carrying on the theme that Jobs implicitly endorsed. I seriously doubt he responded that way because he was offended.

I agree completely. Steve didn't respond that way because he was offended. He responded that way because that's more or less the usual way in which he responds. However, after a question asked the way that was, why expect *anything more* from him? Why expect a happy boilerplate response in addition? Hey, you get what you give.

Further, a lot of these e-mails from users I see published from time to time tend to sound either rude or downright offensive. Frankly, I'm surprised the CEO of the most valuable tech company on the planet would even take the time to respond or see to it that these e-mails are answered. There is no need to entertain these questions. But he does.

The man has cancer. The way people around here post about how he looks, you'd think he was terminal and has about a year left. Who knows, maybe he does. The point is, he's quite ill. That's right. And he's been ill for a few years now. And he keeps working. But not just working, but changing the whole damn game almost on a yearly basis. Here's a guy who's sick and keeps doing some amazing things. All the while increasing Apple's profits, share value, and position in the market. Yeah, Apple is run a by a guy who's (likely) terminally ill, and allegedly getting worse. What does that say about the competition?

And people call this guy greedy?? Really?? He works at his job every day and tried to make it a point to innovate and create great things. He might not live to see next year. That's not greed. At this point there's no need for Jobs to be greedy. Hasn't been for years. The guy just loves what he does. Simple as that. It's what keeps him going. A lot of average folks would simply say "screw it" and go on sick leave or stay home and get benefits, etc. Live out their remaining time in comfort (as much as can be gained, anyway.)

We need to have a little more respect for Steve Jobs. I don't really give a damn whether the geek contingent around here who actually cares (LOL) about the sweet (or not) disposition of CEOs thinks he's arrogant. Good. Let him be arrogant. He's earned it. And the lousy also-rans and junk-box makers have most certainly, unequivocally encouraged it. He can do cartwheels and bark like a dog for all I care, as long as he keeps giving me more great Apple gear. That is all that matters in this game. His bedside manner has no impact on how my iPad works.

Perspective, people!

Why do you think you're entitled to a replacement?

Flitzy
Jun 13, 2011, 08:07 AM
I love how people focus on Steve's response and totally ignore how much of a jerk the original sender was.

The guy pretty much came out and said that the product "sucked" but Steve is the one who had the "attitude".

And, honestly, how does responding "Yep" somehow equate to a rude response? He was clearly on his iPhone and he answered the question - should he write a novel or something? I bet several people in this thread have responded similarly in these situations.

Please, people. :rolleyes:

If he chooses to reply to an email, then he should do it properly.

Wait, what? Who determines the proper way to respond to an email? I missed the memo where a universal set of rules had been drafted on "proper email replies".

kalsta
Jun 13, 2011, 08:20 AM
This sucks. I have a couple of old important websites that are committed to iWeb. I don't use it anymore for new stuff, but I need it!

Keep using iWeb if you want. Heck, some people still use AppleWorks! How long since Apple stopped developing that?

ten-oak-druid
Jun 13, 2011, 08:20 AM
Why do you think you're entitled to a replacement?

We're entitled to a right to ask.

And Apple is not ending iWeb anyway. This is misinterpreted.

benpatient
Jun 13, 2011, 08:33 AM

I think you meant to write "paying customer" there where you said "fan."

tjcampbell
Jun 13, 2011, 08:45 AM
This is a load of cr@p.

LimeiBook86
Jun 13, 2011, 08:52 AM
Well this sucks. There goes any hope for any of my web galleries or websites to remain active or hosted through some sort of 'iCloud Pro' plan... :mad:

All of my stuff hosted via MobileMe is gonna be gone in a year's time. Thankfully I have my own hosting service for my personal website. It'll just be a BIG pain to post and export everything again (if I can copy most things) to my personal hosting space. Web galleries will just - not work - as easily as they used to. I can't direct AppleTV to a personal website or anything. And I don't want to leave my computer on 24/7 just for AppleTV to access it.

This is really disapointing. It's as if they forgot anyone was even using those features... but it just shows that Apple doesn't really care about it. I guess they barely did when I was paying them $99 a year for the past 8 or 9 years. :rolleyes: But now that they axed the whole thing it just shows that they really couldn't care less about their past customers and how much they enjoyed the service.

gorgeousninja
Jun 13, 2011, 08:52 AM
I think you meant to write "paying customer" there where you said "fan."
Ignorant jerk actually seems way more appropriate but I don't want to get in anyone's; let's kick Steve Jobs just because he is the CEO of a multi billion dollar company that actually takes the time to talk to his constantly whining childlike customers.

In fact I hope the last keynote he ever does he says "oh yeah..one more thing... To the 20% whinging, ungrateful, ignorant, brats who made my life a total misery here's a message F&$K YOU! Your iDevice will explode in 5,4,3,2,1....

now that would be truly magical!

eawmp1
Jun 13, 2011, 09:06 AM

The continued use of iWeb software until obsolescense or third party options.

As one is no longer PAYING for MobileMe, why should you expect free website hosting?

And as for the terse response, get over it. The question was answered.

Trilogy
Jun 13, 2011, 09:18 AM
I have tried and failed using Dreamweaver, and always come back to iWeb. It's really easy to use and included free with all Macs.

Instead of paying $99 a year for MobileMe, I host my website with DV Host (www.dvhost.com). They specialise in web hosting for Mac users, and were able to help me setting up iWeb. I have my own domain name, and it's much cheaper than MobileMe. I think this will complement the free iCloud service perfectly.

mdntcallr
Jun 13, 2011, 09:26 AM
Apple has been treating iWeb poorly for 2 years. rarely getting proper upgrades and more

it was a good product when it came out, but sadly its been neglected and a victim of Apple's what have you dont for me problems.

the iWeb part of MobileMe hasn't had the issues SYNC has had.

so i don't understand why Apple has to get rid of it. Apple still has a lack of easy to develop consumer websites.

pretty lame for them to pull the plug.

diamond.g
Jun 13, 2011, 09:56 AM
The continued use of iWeb software until obsolescense or third party options.

As one is no longer PAYING for MobileMe, why should you expect free website hosting?

And as for the terse response, get over it. The question was answered.

I guess we will find out if iWeb will exist in future versions of iLife. I suspect that it would be dropped. As I am not at a Mac at work, can you get iWeb from the Mac App Store?

jrperser
Jun 13, 2011, 09:57 AM
You are absolutely correct. You can easily publish the site to a folder.

If Sandvox had a utility to then import the site then they would have a ready customer base to switch from iWeb to Sandvox 2 which is very iWeb-like and easy to use.

The big advantage of these applications is their ease of use and are much simpler to use than other web-centric apps which tend to only work if you have an active internet connection. I need a desktop app and so do my clients.

I too like using iWeb, really easy. Lot's of people in our Apple User Group http://www.acd.us/ find RapidWeaver as a great environment and alternative.

I'll just rehost my iWeb pages to another site when the time comes. I will miss the galleries. I think iCloud will replace all of my other needs for MobileMe.

Atlantico
Jun 13, 2011, 09:57 AM

Sent from my iPhone

Cute, but that's not from Jobs. He's obsessed with his iPad now and has stopped replying from the iPhone.

A fake, in other words.

As for iWeb being discontinued, well there's no info on that now - but odds are of course it will not be supported or maintained with the next version of iLife, seeing as iCloud won't be supporting web-publishing and seeing as iWeb didn't get an upgrade in the last iLife.

Though it does suck, because people pay good money for the iLife apps and iWeb can well function without dotMac/mobileMe - though Apple tried its darndest to make them annoying to use (the iLife apps) unless you had an account at the iTunes Store and subscribed to mobileMe/dotMac.

iWeb still published to a folder and publishing the folder to your hosting service of choice through FTP or SSH was easy enough (or would have been if the Finder of 2011 supported FTP writing haha .. it is still read only)

iWeb will go the way of FrontRow, iDVD and Rosetta. Steve's email reply in the first post was a fake, but it is no secret Steve Jobs doesn't care much for things like this.

DJ Dilbert
Jun 13, 2011, 10:14 AM
I have tried and failed using Dreamweaver, and always come back to iWeb. It's really easy to use and included free with all Macs.

There are plenty of good templates to get you started within Dreamweaver. If you are still having trouble, message me and I'll point you to a few places (mostly free) that'll easily get you off the ground.

I'd post the places here but I don't want to get removed for advertising for someone else.

farmboy
Jun 13, 2011, 10:20 AM

Yeah, because you get a much more prompt, courteous and elaborate response when you write a woe-is-me email about possibly having to learn to use some other $12 software to all the other CEOs in the Fortune 500 who would deign to answer.

Let's summarize: the guy is very ill, on medical leave, is extremely busy nonetheless, takes the time to look at what must be 1000 emails a day, and you're upset about a curt response? Sense of entitlement much?

Porco
Jun 13, 2011, 10:23 AM
I love how people focus on Steve's response and totally ignore how much of a jerk the original sender was.

The guy pretty much came out and said that the product "sucked" but Steve is the one who had the "attitude".

And, honestly, how does responding "Yep" somehow equate to a rude response? He was clearly on his iPhone and he answered the question - should he write a novel or something? I bet several people in this thread have responded similarly in these situations.

Please, people. :rolleyes:

Actually the quote is "the thought of re-training sucks more than mobileme ever did" - so the sender isn't actually saying MobileMe sucks per se, rather that the thought of re-training sucks more than MobileMe.

I think you should also consider that MobileMe has been widely reported to be described in negative terms even by Jobs himself, so even if we assume the sender was implying that MobileMe sucked, this is something Jobs apparently agrees with - a position also supported by Apple feeling the need to replace so many aspects of it under the iCloud banner.

See http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/07/steve-jobs-reaction-to-mobileme-launch-and-other-anecdotes/

To me, the reference to MobileMe sucking is in reference to that. If Jobs himself apparently feels MobileMe was 'tarnishing Apple's reputation', I don't think we can judge too harshly someone emailing him to say how another action of Apple is more serious for them.

Assuming the email is genuine, 'yep, sorry' would have taken barely any more time to type in reply, and at least given some kind of sense of compassion for their plight.

uber_nerd
Jun 13, 2011, 10:40 AM

Not sure if you are "screwed," but you will have to do a bit of work. You have a right to to be annoyed, but once you transition you will probably see it is for the better.

iWeb is a bit of a lame duck stuck back in Web 1.0 were we have transitioned fully into web 2.0 about 5 years ago. If you look around you will quickly find that there are a lot of really good alternatives that you may find will add value to your company.

You can pay for proprietary services (e.g. Squarespace (http://www.squarespace.com/tour/) - which you can post/edit off of one of their iOS apps) which will give you more functioning that iWeb ever did.

You can use one of the Mirada of open source projects:

Wordpress (http://wordpress.org/) - A blogging web application, that can easily be turned into a business website. Instead of blog posts think news posts. Plus you have interactivity with your customers you can never have with a static
Jooma (http://www.joomla.org/) - Similar to wordpress but intended for businesses/organizations
Drupal (http://drupal.org/) - For large scale interactive sites, lots of power but requires lots of development (probably best to skip)

Many hosting services offer one click installs of wordpress, Joomila, drupal,etc. There are also many companies offering custom wordpress themes for businesses for very affordable prices (e.g. $50). Add $6/month for hosting and you are ready to go.

New world, yes. Screwed... your choice.

Bubba Satori
Jun 13, 2011, 10:53 AM

Sounds? Everybody knows it. Just more confirmation.

scottwaugh
Jun 13, 2011, 10:57 AM
After seeing that the original questioner had "Is iWeb as dead as MobileMe" in Title line of his email - that is probably all Steve saw and replied to.

"Yep" is an okay response to that. Its not a great response to what was inside the email, but I doubt Steve even read that...he probably just read the Title question and answered the question.

For those folks worrying about your iWeb stuff, Apple won't make the application stop working (you'll still be able to use it, it should work fine in Lion) but it would seem future development of it is gone (not too surprising considering no update to it in iLife 11). If they stop offering paid web hosting as well then you'd just need to retarget your website FTP push (which isn't hard, supposedly) and keep using iWeb - that is what I'll do.

There is still alot to be figured out - Steve's response probably applied to future iWeb development (the application) and may not have applied to website hosting (it would seem odd for Apple not to continue to offer web hosting for $$$ (not free) in iCloud (I doubt it costs them much and they get some nice PR benefit from it), but we'll have to wait to see for that).

Snowy_River
Jun 13, 2011, 11:29 AM

This is the first part of the big question, to me.

So far, Apple doesn't have the best track record, when it comes to web development software. Back in the day, one of the better web page development programs for the home user was Claris Homepage. When Apple folded the Claris products back into their portfolio, Homepage was the only one that was summarily discontinued with no real replacement offered. For a while, for those who were only after the simplest of websites, you could use HTML export from Pages, but that was discontinued. In that instance, however, Apple had already released a good, new web development tool: iWeb. The version 1 release had a lot going for it, even though it clearly had room to grow. Now, it's languished in stagnation for some time, and, it seems, is going to be terminated.

Will there be a replacement? Will we have to wait several years for it? Can Apple be trusted, even if there is a replacement, to stand by their web development software, or will the replacement get killed off in another few years, only to bring up these same questions all over again?

A couple people on here have suggested that Apple should sell off iWeb to a third party developer. I remember the same thing being said about Claris Homepage when it was announced that Apple didn't have any plans to continue to develop it...

ersatzplanet
Jun 13, 2011, 11:42 AM
For LESS money than you were paying for MobileMe, on GoDaddy you can get:
150 GB of space
UNLIMITED Websites with no Bandwidth caps
500 Email accounts
25 MySQL 1GB Databases
and more.
All for $83.85 a year instead of $99. That is if you commit for a year. If you commit for 3 years it is only $59.88 a year leaving you plenty of cash left over to pay for the iMatch service if you want that. This gives you a domain with your own name too if you are not currently forwarding to the MM space. I have 3 sites on MM and will be moving them all to GoDaddy. Just get a space there and point iWeb there instead of MM.

ersatzplanet
Jun 13, 2011, 11:52 AM
I think Steve's response was pretty civil considering the question the guy asked disses the service right off. "Re-training sucks more than mobileme ever did." still comes of as saying MM sucks too.

kingtj
Jun 13, 2011, 12:05 PM
From the start, iWeb was really kind of a bad idea, at least from the perspective of allowing someone to learn about HTML and the proper way to build web sites. Sure, it was just meant to make pretty-looking and somewhat useful sites quickly, and it accomplishes that. But they all look a lot alike, so you can immediately tell when a site was done with iWeb, vs. some other product .... and you can't really go back in and make changes with a different tool once you start using iWeb either.

(I did some work for a guy once who had that predicament. He had a small business web site all put together with iWeb but decided he needed some new things added that were beyond the scope of what iWeb supported. The whole site had to be rebuilt in another product, copying over and re-using some of the image content to try to preserve the original look. He would have been a lot better off if iWeb was never used in the first place.)

I think the reality is, as the web has grown in size and complexity, the days of "personal home pages" are dying out. Rather than build a home page to post your photos and blog entries or stories, many people get more "mileage" out of creating a Facebook account and putting the stuff up there, or using a slew of other options out there (like Flickr for photo collections).

And for business purposes? You really want something that's more of a "web application" allowing dynamic changes (WordPress, for example, or a django-based site). The basic set of static pages you design in a tool like iWeb and upload just don't cut it anymore as professional or complex enough, compared to the competition.

Apple has been treating iWeb poorly for 2 years. rarely getting proper upgrades and more

it was a good product when it came out, but sadly its been neglected and a victim of Apple's what have you dont for me problems.

the iWeb part of MobileMe hasn't had the issues SYNC has had.

so i don't understand why Apple has to get rid of it. Apple still has a lack of easy to develop consumer websites.

pretty lame for them to pull the plug.

foiden
Jun 13, 2011, 12:06 PM
I've been waiting for a replacement or major update to iWeb for some time. Especially since there's this push for HTML5 development. Might as well have more WYSIWYG HTML tools for HTML5 and CSS3 creation. Right now, it's not even clear what tools allow you to do this half as well as Flash Development does for Flash. And I mean this just for the stuff HTML5 and CSS3 does.

iWeb could've definitely turned into that kind of project. Drag and Drop HTML5/CSS3 would be the killer simple-to-use app. Still, I guess that would require a major rewrite of iWeb to do it.

fjpoblam
Jun 13, 2011, 12:14 PM

+1

Or maybe he should've said, "Anything you get for free is worth about what you pay for it." [OOops!] ;)

gkarris
Jun 13, 2011, 12:17 PM
Go to Apple's feedback site and ask to keep it:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iweb.html

I put in a word or two about a mobile device "without the phone part", keeping the Mini, and updating the AppleTV - Apple wants to know.... ;)

podmasher
Jun 13, 2011, 12:18 PM
If you still refuse to learn HTML, just use RapidWeaver.

The real question is what is going to happen to @mac.com email accounts?

Deelron
Jun 13, 2011, 12:24 PM
We got a full year of notice- until June 2012. I could probably convert any iWeb site to Wordpress, etc in a day.

If I had to take a day to convert a website over suddenly all those "savings" for switching to a cheaper web host would be lost as my time would be worth far more them the price difference the Moblie Me suite cost (in whole) over other providers. Time actually is money and it's what made the "suck" that is iWeb well worth it.

nonameowns
Jun 13, 2011, 12:25 PM
time for noobs to actually learn to code HTML dawg

hachre
Jun 13, 2011, 12:30 PM
Steve Jobs doesn't have the time to sugar coat answers for you. And the expectations that some people here have that Steve Jobs as the CEO of Apple should not only personally reply to their questions but also be friendly, forthcoming and explaining about his replies is just a joke.

BornAgainMac
Jun 13, 2011, 12:33 PM
Seeing this makes me want to dabble in iWeb before it goes away.

Wild-Bill
Jun 13, 2011, 12:37 PM
I don't care about iWeb going away so much.

What I AM concerned about is the unknown fate of the MobileMe gallery ! I use that thing all the time. I hope they at least keep that.

gkarris
Jun 13, 2011, 12:44 PM
If you still refuse to learn HTML, just use RapidWeaver.

The real question is what is going to happen to @mac.com email accounts?

Would you like to pay for my license? :eek:

hitekalex
Jun 13, 2011, 12:45 PM
Will there be a replacement? Will we have to wait several years for it? Can Apple be trusted, even if there is a replacement, to stand by their web development software, or will the replacement get killed off in another few years, only to bring up these same questions all over again?

Don't hold your breath for an "iWeb replacement", not from Apple anyway. if you paid any attention to Apple over the last couple of years, and most recent WWDC in particular.. Apple's strategy is pretty clear. They see the "future" in the native iOS and MacOS apps, tied together by an invisible iCloud. Apple is simply not interested in browser interfaces and web-based applications - they are happy to leave that to Google.

It is only natural to conclude from that - Apple no longer has any interest in web publishing or web hosting. It doesn't help them sell hardware.. it doesn't fit their iCloud vision.. it doesn't fit their "native app" vision.

iWeb as an website creation software will continue to exist for a while. iWeb as a website hosting platform is dead. The sooner people realize that, and start moving to (infinite number of) alternative tools and hosting providers - the better off they will be.

edoates
Jun 13, 2011, 12:57 PM
Some people will be upset of course, but really, iWeb is junk... and I'm sure people were upset when Hypercard was kill too. LOL. Just switch to WordPress.com or Squarespace... or keep using iWeb and buy hosting for less than $99/year... but something like WordPress is a million times more powerful than just publishing cheesy static HTML pages.

Maybe, but iWeb was simple, and I have a me.com account already. So when it all goes to iCloud, I will probably have that account (that I will pay for), and looks like I'll need yet another online place to do stuff like SIMPLE web presence.

iWeb made creating reasonably good looking pages really easy, it was integrated with the hosting service - easy to put up photo galleries, simple blogs, etc. If I were a business, sure, I'd want a more sophisticated solution. But iWeb was part of the whole Mac experience for me.

Apple keeps providing nifty little things (homepage before this), and then dumping them after they get used. Oh, well, that' show biz.