PDA

View Full Version : More Final Cut Pro X Screenshots Leak Ahead of Release

MacRumors
Jun 12, 2011, 07:59 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/12/more-final-cut-pro-x-screenshots-leak-ahead-of-release/)

Final Cut Pro X must be in late testing as even more screenshots from the upcoming release have been leaked to the internet. Twitter user @MortGoldman2 has posted (http://twitpic.com/photos/MortGoldman2) a sequence of screenshots said to be from the upcoming Final Cut Pro X. The series of over 30 shots shows grabs of various tools/views including histogram, color balance, exposure, color grading and more.

Apple demoed (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/13/video-of-final-cut-pro-x-introduction-now-available/) Final Cut Pro X back in April at the Final Cut Pro User Group Network SuperMeet held in conjunction with the National Association of Broadcasters' NAB Show 2011 in Las Vegas. At the time, the company announced that Final Cut Pro X would launch via the Mac App Store in June priced at $299

Article Link: More Final Cut Pro X Screenshots Leak Ahead of Release (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/12/more-final-cut-pro-x-screenshots-leak-ahead-of-release/)

geerlingguy
Jun 12, 2011, 08:04 PM
FCPX looks awesome. It will be nice to switch back to pro after having used Express HD for a few years.

wordoflife
Jun 12, 2011, 08:12 PM
Looks. Freaking. Amazing.

Nugget
Jun 12, 2011, 08:12 PM
I'm just patiently waiting until I can buy it.

Dagless
Jun 12, 2011, 08:17 PM
I've been using a copy of some ancient FC that I bought as a student and yeah, I'm more than ready for this!

bozs13
Jun 12, 2011, 08:22 PM
Let's get this show on the road! I've been holding off on editing new projects just so I can do it on X.

:D

42streetsdown
Jun 12, 2011, 08:26 PM
i'm still waiting lol. this is gonna be awesome

pkson
Jun 12, 2011, 08:28 PM
As soon as my credit card clears up, or as soon as it comes out..
I'm getting this!

Seems like a totally affordable, formidable and powerful editing tool.

bretm
Jun 12, 2011, 08:29 PM
Completely useless info. We have already seen this stuff demoed and recently shots of Motion. If you're gonna leak some photos, leak some that answer some questions- not a zillion shots of the color correction we already know about. Let's see the batch capture window. Let's see a viewer window instead of a film strip. Let's see examples of 3 point editing. Show us the new multicam interface. Some use of Plugins. Print to tape. Anything.

NT1440
Jun 12, 2011, 08:32 PM
Completely useless info. We have already seen this stuff demoed and recently shots of Motion. If you're gonna leak some photos, leak some that answer some questions- not a zillion shots of the color correction we already know about. Let's see the batch capture window. Let's see a viewer window instead of a film strip. Let's see examples of 3 point editing. Show us the new multicam interface. Some use of Plugins. Print to tape. Anything.

I'm assuming u don't understand what a leak is....

KeithPratt
Jun 12, 2011, 08:57 PM
Columbo/Steve Jobs: "Just one more thing... There appear to be JPEG compression artefacts in these screen-cap'd PNGs..."

bretm
Jun 12, 2011, 09:03 PM
I'm assuming u don't understand what a leak is....

Well, I'm just saying slightly more extensive views of screens that Apple themselves demoed to the public months ago ain't it.

A shot of Motion was a leak.

ivladster
Jun 12, 2011, 09:09 PM
Cannot wait!

goombamd
Jun 12, 2011, 09:17 PM
I have some grant money I need to use up before the end of the week or else I lose it. I wanted to buy the new final cut but may end up having to get the Adobe Suite instead if not released soon.... arg.

Any thoughts on release date? Or any confirmation?

JabbaII
Jun 12, 2011, 09:18 PM
Current upgrade for the whole suite is $299
versus Final Cut X at $299 (no upgrade price)

DisMyMac
Jun 12, 2011, 09:19 PM
Companies can't wait to achieve a diverse workforce by altering skin tones in their ads.

JesterJJZ
Jun 12, 2011, 09:35 PM
You'd think there would be a little more hype and build up to a release like this. I can't see them just dropping it out of the blue. Ok yeah I can...lame.

Jugney
Jun 12, 2011, 09:57 PM
9to5Mac posted that Best Buy is selling iTunes gift cards (which can be used on the Mac App Store) for 15% off. You can order them online and pay shipping, or do what I did and get them in-store. 15% off $299 isn't bad at all!

the vj
Jun 12, 2011, 10:29 PM
I wonder about Motion, Livetype and Soundtrack.

JesterJJZ
Jun 12, 2011, 10:34 PM
9to5Mac posted that Best Buy is selling iTunes gift cards (which can be used on the Mac App Store) for 15% off. You can order them online and pay shipping, or do what I did and get them in-store. 15% off $299 isn't bad at all!

Nice! I just got $400 worth of cards for $340! Not bad at all! That'll get me FCPX, Lion and more! Free shipping too!

JesterJJZ
Jun 12, 2011, 10:37 PM
I wonder about Motion, Livetype and Soundtrack.

Livetype is already gone, built into Motion in the last release, was kinda useless on its own if you ask me. Don't really care much for Motion really. Use Soundtrack pretty regularly with FCP. Though I kinda wish they would just kill it and give us some sort of Logic Lite instead or something.

What I want to know is what's going on with DVDSP. I use that all the time. Yes, people still use, want and request DVDs from me all the time. Would really love Blu-ray authoring support. I'm not a fan of Encore. The few time I've been forced to use it hasn't been fun.

Apple may not like the idea of watching Blu-ray on a Mac, but I can't understand how they can overlook the fact that the professionals out there still need to be able to make them. And no, the limited BD support in the current Final Cut Studio is barely suited to make anything professional.

Fainer
Jun 12, 2011, 10:40 PM
Will this run on my white Macbook (Not pro)? Thanks.

42streetsdown
Jun 12, 2011, 10:44 PM
Livetype is already gone, built into Motion in the last release, was kinda useless on its own if you ask me. Don't really care much for Motion really. Use Soundtrack pretty regularly with FCP. Though I kinda wish they would just kill it and give us some sort of Logic Lite instead or something.

motion is no shake... then again shake is no shake :(

42streetsdown
Jun 12, 2011, 10:48 PM
Will this run on my white Macbook (Not pro)? Thanks.

Yes it will run. i imagine it'll run on any intel mac (maybe not the core duos and core solos though, since those won't have lion support, but that was only a few computers i think)

bretm
Jun 12, 2011, 10:50 PM
You'd think there would be a little more hype and build up to a release like this. I can't see them just dropping it out of the blue. Ok yeah I can...lame.

He amount of hype and drama has been enormous! You're just reading the wrong forum.

JesterJJZ
Jun 12, 2011, 10:57 PM
He amount of hype and drama has been enormous! You're just reading the wrong forum.

No no, I know all there is to know. Hmm...way to many "no's" there. :D

Anyway, I mean publicly. There's not even any mention of FCPX anywhere on Apple's website. Sure have enough coverage of IOS5 and Lion which aren't out yet, but nothing about FCPX.

Sure, you and I may know what "Supermeet" and NAB are, but if you didn't belong to some message board that covers this stuff, you'd never even know FCPX was even coming out.

InuNacho
Jun 12, 2011, 11:01 PM
Ugh, another App Store only thing. I'd love to get my sweaty little palms on this in the Apple store but I guess I'll have to spend all night downloading this.

Luckily this doesn't require Lion.

MacFly123
Jun 12, 2011, 11:02 PM
I am very excited for this as well, but I also want a LOT more details to know this will still meet all my professional needs! For example, I still haven't seen any sign of a preview monitor or dual screen support. I'm not even sure how dual screens are going to work with Lion anyway! :(

matteusclement
Jun 12, 2011, 11:13 PM
looks like there is a tighter integration of everything. NICE!

motoracer1486
Jun 12, 2011, 11:16 PM
I'd like to start getting into video editing (personal stuff - family/friends kind of thing), is Final Cut Pro overkill? Is it hard to pick up on? Any other programs that I should look into? Thanks :)

Vertigo50
Jun 12, 2011, 11:22 PM
Anyway, I mean publicly. There's not even any mention of FCPX anywhere on Apple's website. Sure have enough coverage of IOS5 and Lion which aren't out yet, but nothing about FCPX.

That's not generally how Apple works, especially with pro apps. Look at Logic, for example. Every time there is a new release it just pops up on their website. One day it's Logic 8, the next it's Logic 9. No real warning.

The NAB coverage was only for video editors, and Apple didn't really intend for it to go much further than that.

Vertigo50
Jun 12, 2011, 11:25 PM
I'd like to start getting into video editing (personal stuff - family/friends kind of thing), is Final Cut Pro overkill? Is it hard to pick up on? Any other programs that I should look into? Thanks :)

Before FCP X, I would have said that it is DEFINITELY overkill, because it was so difficult to learn, but now not only will you no longer have the option for Final Cut Express, the new FCP X is basically the price that express used to be.

So no, I don't think it's overkill. Your two choices now are iMovie and Final Cut Pro X. Unless you can do all you want to do in iMovie, your next step should be FCP X.

All indications are that FCP X is going to be much easier to learn and easier to use, especially for those used to iMovie, as a lot of the new features revolve around things that iMovie has been doing for years.

bootedbear
Jun 12, 2011, 11:38 PM
Yes please!

42streetsdown
Jun 12, 2011, 11:38 PM
Before FCP X, I would have said that it is DEFINITELY overkill, because it was so difficult to learn, but now not only will you no longer have the option for Final Cut Express, the new FCP X is basically the price that express used to be.

So no, I don't think it's overkill. Your two choices now are iMovie and Final Cut Pro X. Unless you can do all you want to do in iMovie, your next step should be FCP X.

All indications are that FCP X is going to be much easier to learn and easier to use, especially for those used to iMovie, as a lot of the new features revolve around things that iMovie has been doing for years.

I never thought FCP was hard to learn, and there are intuitive things Final Cut that are a pain or impossible in iMovie.

Sol
Jun 12, 2011, 11:41 PM
Online distribution is fine for the price but hopefully a retail package that includes a manual and training books will also be offered. It is important to have training books at launch because even those of us who use Final Cut Pro will be starting from scratch.

LoganT
Jun 12, 2011, 11:51 PM
Online distribution is fine for the price but hopefully a retail package that includes a manual and training books will also be offered. It is important to have training books at launch because even those of us who use Final Cut Pro will be starting from scratch.

Why can't you just buy it online at the App Store and buy the manuals somewhere else, like Amazon? If people are buying Final Cut Pro X, I imagine they would know if they needed a manual.

bretm
Jun 12, 2011, 11:59 PM
That's not generally how Apple works, especially with pro apps. Look at Logic, for example. Every time there is a new release it just pops up on their website. One day it's Logic 8, the next it's Logic 9. No real warning.

The NAB coverage was only for video editors, and Apple didn't really intend for it to go much further than that.

As well, in this case the obvious reason is that announcing it on their site would completely cannibalize sales of FCP studio, classes, training books, etc. And there's no actual real proof or hard core promise it will be released in June anyway. Apple has let it be known that a new, cool version is coming for the sole purpose of keeping users from switching to premiere or avid. They left a lot of questions. Enough that if you need FCP, you buy it now.

NY Guitarist
Jun 13, 2011, 12:00 AM

How about some cheese with that whine..

deannnnn
Jun 13, 2011, 12:01 AM
I'm surprised everyone is so excited about this. I definitely feel that Final Cut Pro is in need of some serious enhancements, but I think the current interface is great! I know it like the back of my hand. Now I'm going to have to relearn the software from the ground up?

Sol
Jun 13, 2011, 12:18 AM
Why can't you just buy it online at the App Store and buy the manuals somewhere else, like Amazon? If people are buying Final Cut Pro X, I imagine they would know if they needed a manual.

It's new software, not an update. Everyone will need the manual. I am sure training manuals will be out with it but an official one that comes in the box would be the most up to date. At the end of the day it is not a deal breaker, just a matter of value and convenience.

Nostromo
Jun 13, 2011, 12:18 AM
I wonder what the suite will look like.

Or will Apple break the suite apart? I mean, many don't really need LiveType, Motion, or the professional DVD authoring software.

BlackMangoTree
Jun 13, 2011, 12:28 AM
Bluray support ?

11thIndian
Jun 13, 2011, 12:33 AM
It's new software, not an update. Everyone will need the manual. I am sure training manuals will be out with it but an official one that comes in the box would be the most up to date. At the end of the day it is not a deal breaker, just a matter of value and convenience.

I highly doubt there will be print manuals available from Apple.

LoganT
Jun 13, 2011, 12:41 AM

What they should do is, bundle a manual in the download.

LethalWolfe
Jun 13, 2011, 01:08 AM
Apple already got rid of printed manuals for their Pro Apps a few years ago. They are all in PDF form now.

As well, in this case the obvious reason is that announcing it on their site would completely cannibalize sales of FCP studio, classes, training books, etc. And there's no actual real proof or hard core promise it will be released in June anyway. Apple has let it be known that a new, cool version is coming for the sole purpose of keeping users from switching to premiere or avid. They left a lot of questions. Enough that if you need FCP, you buy it now.
At least w/Final Cut that's not typically the case. Usually Apple will preview at NAB and release a couple of months later. I believe Apple officially said at the sneak peak in April that it's coming in June.

Lethal

SirHaakon
Jun 13, 2011, 02:06 AM
Apple may not like the idea of watching Blu-ray on a Mac, but I can't understand how they can overlook the fact that the professionals out there still need to be able to make them.
Supporting it in any fashion gives it validation as a format, and it's pretty clear that SJ is just too much of a stick in the mud about the issue. This comes down entirely to business and the competition of the format with iTunes, so unfortunately I don't see Apple's tune changing. I'm in the same boat that you are, sadly. Now that the price of Blu-ray players are plummeting demand is going way up, so it's incredibly frustrating that Apple is just dragging their feet on this.

r23w
Jun 13, 2011, 02:26 AM
I feel like this has to be lion only, so they will wait till july to release

11thIndian
Jun 13, 2011, 02:32 AM
I feel like this has to be lion only, so they will wait till july to release

Nope. Doesn't require Lion. Less than 2 weeks to launch.

CplBadboy
Jun 13, 2011, 03:40 AM
New MacPro please! New MacPro!

having decided that a MacPro is a better option for my use I await the refresh because stacked against an SB iMac its hard to justify more cash for something that offer only minimal performance increase and Ive heard in some cases slower. Come on Steve you know it makes sense!

Dr McKay
Jun 13, 2011, 04:15 AM

I dont know, I used FCP on the Mac Pro's running Tiger, and found it very easy to use. Most of it just made sense. Tried using Adobe Premier CS5 recently. Could not figure it out at all.

caseyh
Jun 13, 2011, 04:38 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not very familiar with video editing software. What is that green, feathery window in the screenshots? Looks like it's related to color adjustment, but I can't figure out what it represents.

New Mac mini.
Jun 13, 2011, 04:39 AM
Will FCP X support 3D editing?

saxondale.
Jun 13, 2011, 05:43 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not very familiar with video editing software. What is that green, feathery window in the screenshots? Looks like it's related to color adjustment, but I can't figure out what it represents.
It's to monitor the waveforms :)

atopos
Jun 13, 2011, 05:56 AM
Will FCP X support 3D editing?

Even 5D is supported ! ;)
(Mark II)

ericmooreart
Jun 13, 2011, 06:20 AM
My main questions are:

1- Will it come with compressor?
2- Will it come with Qmaster?
3- Can I buy a boxed version?

If the answer to any of these is no then I have no interest in buying it

ericmooreart
Jun 13, 2011, 06:27 AM

Users Guide, Reference Guide, and Getting Started. That would add another $100 at least.

11thIndian
Jun 13, 2011, 06:32 AM
My main questions are:

1- Will it come with compressor?
2- Will it come with Qmaster?
3- Can I buy a boxed version?

If the answer to any of these is no then I have no interest in buying it

Bravo to you and your personal ultimatum. I hope you'll be very happy together.

swagi
Jun 13, 2011, 06:39 AM
Supporting it in any fashion gives it validation as a format, and it's pretty clear that SJ is just too much of a stick in the mud about the issue. This comes down entirely to business and the competition of the format with iTunes, so unfortunately I don't see Apple's tune changing. I'm in the same boat that you are, sadly. Now that the price of Blu-ray players are plummeting demand is going way up, so it's incredibly frustrating that Apple is just dragging their feet on this.

*waiting for the "optical media is dead" crowd entering the thread*

:cool:

Atlantico
Jun 13, 2011, 06:55 AM
*waiting for the "optical media is dead" crowd entering the thread*

:cool:

Even that "optical media is dead" crowd isn't brainwashed enough to claim that professional high-end video editing software should not support BD.

$300 to edit some youtube videos? (I laugh haha)

Eyes will be rolled quite impressively at Apple if FCPX does not support BD. Then why bother with the release at all? Well... actually that might explain the FinalCut Express price point.

This may not be a professional application.

11thIndian
Jun 13, 2011, 07:14 AM
Even that "optical media is dead" crowd isn't brainwashed enough to claim that professional high-end video editing software should not support BD.

$300 to edit some youtube videos? (I laugh haha)

Eyes will be rolled quite impressively at Apple if FCPX does not support BD. Then why bother with the release at all? Well... actually that might explain the FinalCut Express price point.

BR support isn't built into the editing application, it's usually handled by another program. FCP7 doesn't burn discs, but DVD Studio Pro does. Neither does AVID directly, thats handled by AVID DVD. So your argument makes no sense.

The quality of FCPX as an editing platform has nothing to do with optical disc support.

silentnite
Jun 13, 2011, 07:22 AM
This seems like a great beginner/intermediate program for all who could not afford final cut pro and have a taste for editing video etc. I'm thinking it may also bring Final cut express down in price and to the Mac App store.

bretm
Jun 13, 2011, 07:39 AM
BR support isn't built into the editing application, it's usually handled by another program. FCP7 doesn't burn discs, but DVD Studio Pro does. Neither does AVID directly, thats handled by AVID DVD. So your argument makes no sense.

The quality of FCPX as an editing platform has nothing to do with optical disc support.

Except that FCP 7 does create DVD, blu-ray, and avchd discs directly from the app via the file>share command. Simple menus and options albeit. But it does. If you have a bluray burner installed it will burn bluray. Otherwise it's DVD or AVCHD.

bretm
Jun 13, 2011, 07:45 AM
This seems like a great beginner/intermediate program for all who could not afford final cut pro and have a taste for editing video etc. I'm thinking it may also bring Final cut express down in price and to the Mac App store.

There are some big questions about certain functions remaining in X from FCS studio, or whether a studio will continue to exist. But the editing capabilities and power of x has been demonstrated to be much more powerful and advanced over FCP 7, Avid, and Premiere. Just go watch the sneak peek. The major worry is over support of professional anticilliary functions and apps. We'll know soon.

jonnysods
Jun 13, 2011, 07:54 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Can't wait to see what this thing looks like!

11thIndian
Jun 13, 2011, 07:59 AM
There are some big questions about certain functions remaining in X from FCS studio, or whether a studio will continue to exist. But the editing capabilities and power of x has been demonstrated to be much more powerful and advanced over FCP 7, Avid, and Premiere. Just go watch the sneak peek. The major worry is over support of professional anticilliary functions and apps. We'll know soon.

That's reaching a bit. It might be more powerful in some cases, and less in others. Ultimately, until people can get their hands on it people can't attest to the quality of the workflow one way or the other. The only thing people can say with any certainty now is that it's different. Some people will assume that means "not pro". And those people would be stupid to make that assumption until it's released.

People have made a lot of the iMovie similarities, but the truth is FCPX has been in development for years, so it's more likely that iMovie is FCPX-lite, rather than the other way around.

11thIndian
Jun 13, 2011, 08:07 AM
Except that FCP 7 does create DVD, blu-ray, and avchd discs directly from the app via the file>share command. Simple menus and options albeit. But it does. If you have a bluray burner installed it will burn bluray. Otherwise it's DVD or AVCHD.

You are correct, sir. Shows how many discs I burn.

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 08:18 AM
Why can't you just buy it online at the App Store and buy the manuals somewhere else, like Amazon? If people are buying Final Cut Pro X, I imagine they would know if they needed a manual.I have a few here collecting dust. I dont think Ive ever used one. Its in the Man pages ;)

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 08:46 AM
This may not be a professional application.Really? Not a positive assumption. Its a pencil maybe even a pen. I guess when I finish my first FCPX freelance project, I just wont charge :)

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 08:48 AM
You are correct, sir. Shows how many discs I burn.Ive seen it in FCP7 but since we started with Toast never had to bother.

stephenl
Jun 13, 2011, 08:51 AM
Ugh, from these screenshots, it looks like Final Cut Pro X is only capable of editing movies about Civil War reenactments. What a ripoff!

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 08:53 AM
Ugh, from these screenshots, it looks like Final Cut Pro X is only capable of editing movies about Civil War reenactments. What a ripoff!which is a bonus for me ;) Im working on one this summer...LOL!

gorgeousninja
Jun 13, 2011, 09:13 AM

No no, I know all there is to know. Hmm...way to many "no's" there. :D

Sure, you and I may know what "Supermeet" and NAB are, but if you didn't belong to some message board that covers this stuff, you'd never even know FCPX was even coming out.

If you don't know what supermeet and nab are is fcpx really a product you fretting about? Not really.

esquared
Jun 13, 2011, 09:17 AM
I would assume now we'll see leaked images of FCP doing some mysterious audio work on some specific soundtrack this week to continue the anticipation fervor, with a release the following week. Oh Apple you evil genius'. :rolleyes:

drayon
Jun 13, 2011, 09:34 AM
Helvetica font used makes the app look like it was designed by Microsoft. Font is too compressed doesn't look like a Cocoa App.

sotorious
Jun 13, 2011, 09:38 AM
With this will you able to do things like adobe after effects?

JonB3Z
Jun 13, 2011, 09:55 AM
Ugh, from these screenshots, it looks like Final Cut Pro X is only capable of editing movies about Civil War reenactments. What a ripoff!

No, that's the actual Civil War. FCPX has time travel as a built-in feature.

fxtech
Jun 13, 2011, 09:55 AM

Considering they haven't even bothered to tell FCP plugin developers if there is even a plugin architecture at all, I would tend to agree.

rhett7660
Jun 13, 2011, 10:00 AM
We are almost half way through June.... I am hoping it is any day now as opposed to the end of the month! Also, has there been any word on the rest of the suite?

spooky2k
Jun 13, 2011, 10:13 AM

If you don't know what supermeet and nab are is fcpx really a product you fretting about? Not really.

Everyone I have worked with (BBC, Pinewood etc) knows what Final Cut Pro/Studio is and most directors I've met can use it, but none of them knew of NAB or the Supermeet. It's just us tech geeks (or anyone who has a geeks job for a living) that live on the bleeding edge who know these things.

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 10:46 AM
Everyone I have worked with (BBC, Pinewood etc) knows what Final Cut Pro/Studio is and most directors I've met can use it, but none of them knew of NAB or the Supermeet. It's just us tech geeks (or anyone who has a geeks job for a living) that live on the bleeding edge who know these things.Thats quite the distance from Vegas ;) I met an English bloke at SuperMeet, he was pretty stoked :)

Nostromo
Jun 13, 2011, 11:52 AM
I wonder to what extent color correction tools will be built into FCP X - and to what extent this will be handled by "Color" when the suite is updated.

Also: you had to buy the suite if you wanted the professional grade application. FCP X seems to change this.

Nugget
Jun 13, 2011, 12:09 PM
I met an English bloke at SuperMeet, he was pretty stoked

I think you mean "chuffed" :)

milo
Jun 13, 2011, 12:39 PM
I'm dying to know if STP is updated or if I should just abandon it and buy something else. Any testers know and willing to leak that info?

It's new software, not an update. Everyone will need the manual.

It will include a PDF manual, just like the last release of Logic. No point in including a heavy stack of dead tree when the whole thing is available in easily searchable electronic form.

BR support isn't built into the editing application, it's usually handled by another program. FCP7 doesn't burn discs, but DVD Studio Pro does.

Of course it's handled by another app, the question is whether the suite will include DVDSP, and if it does will it be an update that has BD support or just the same old version.

umbilical
Jun 13, 2011, 12:54 PM
great price!!! why adobe prices are to high! :mad: I can pay $299 but $2000 or around dont!

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 12:56 PM
I think you mean "chuffed" :)
Awesome I learned something today ;) is that British slang?

notabadname
Jun 13, 2011, 01:36 PM
Looks a little complicated, could they make it a little more like iMovie?

Easy now, just kidding. Don't stone me please ;)

Kevin Monahan
Jun 13, 2011, 01:41 PM
I dont know, I used FCP on the Mac Pro's running Tiger, and found it very easy to use. Most of it just made sense. Tried using Adobe Premier CS5 recently. Could not figure it out at all.
Really? I found Premiere Pro to be really intuitive, this coming from a FCP editor, trainer and author. The interface is familiar with similar Project, Source, Record and timeline panels to FCP. Tools work pretty much the same way. Did you know you can even use your FCP shortcuts in Premiere Pro?

You might try downloading the 30-day trial version of Premiere Pro CS5.5. Unlike CS5, it is fully functional with all the codecs you'd need.

Link to trial version: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=master_collection

Kevin Monahan
Jun 13, 2011, 01:49 PM
great price!!! why adobe prices are to high! :mad: I can pay $299 but $2000 or around dont! Apples to oranges. It's $1699 brand new for the entire suite, not $2000. The upgrade price is quite reasonable at $399. Plus, you're comparing the price of a single app to an entire suite of apps, much more rich than what comes with earlier versions of Final Cut Studio.

This suite of programs, include Photoshop and After Effects - two programs most every working editor admits they must have.

By all means, check out FCPX when it arrives. If you can't do everything with it as is, you can use Adobe products to supplement the workflow.

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 01:49 PM
Really? I found Premiere Pro to be really intuitive, this coming from a FCP editor, trainer and author. The interface is familiar with similar Project, Source, Record and timeline panels to FCP. Tools work pretty much the same way. Did you know you can even use your FCP shortcuts in Premiere Pro?

You might try downloading the 30-day trial version of Premiere Pro CS5.5. Unlike CS5, it is fully functional with all the codecs you'd need.

Link to trial version: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=master_collectionHaha you have Adobe shares ;)
Yea its easy but the cost is a bit much compared to whats around the corner.
We have 6 seats of Master Collection due to other factors, I would have opted to drop PPro for 4 of them to bring it down.

freiheit
Jun 13, 2011, 01:52 PM
My one concern is that Final Cut Pro X might require OSX 10.7 Lion. I plan to give Lion a pass. I just haven't seen anything official saying that FCPX will support Snow Leopard.

Kevin Monahan
Jun 13, 2011, 01:53 PM
With this will you able to do things like adobe after effects?
Of course! Check out Adobe After Effects and the bundled application, Synthetic Aperture Color Finesse. Super pro color correction, secondaries, color fx and much more.

Here's a video tutorial: http://layersmagazine.com/after-effects-cs5-color-finesse.html

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 01:54 PM
My one concern is that Final Cut Pro X might require OSX 10.7 Lion. I plan to give Lion a pass. I just haven't seen anything official saying that FCPX will support Snow Leopard.mentioned at SuperMeet. this was asked many times across the Interweb :) so yes is the answer.

Kevin Monahan
Jun 13, 2011, 01:54 PM
My one concern is that Final Cut Pro X might require OSX 10.7 Lion. I plan to give Lion a pass. I just haven't seen anything official saying that FCPX will support Snow Leopard.

It was running on Snow Leopard at the SuperMeet.

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 01:55 PM
Of course! Check out Adobe After Effects and the bundled application, Synthetic Aperture Color Finesse. Super pro color correction, secondaries, color fx and much more.

Here's a video tutorial: http://layersmagazine.com/after-effects-cs5-color-finesse.html? Motion design software as opposed to NLE? Im lost with this question/answer...its been a long day :)

Kevin Monahan
Jun 13, 2011, 02:04 PM
Haha you have Adobe shares ;)
Yea its easy but the cost is a bit much compared to whats around the corner.
We have 6 seats of Master Collection due to other factors, I would have opted to drop PPro for 4 of them to bring it down.

It's no secret that I work for Adobe now (worked on 2 versions of Final Cut Studio at Apple, for those that don't know me). ;)

Since none of us know what the prices will actually be, what if all the former FCS suite apps are $299 each? If so, you'll be well over the cost of Production Premium. Even if they aren't that much, it won't be that cheap to acquire all the apps.

If the price or suite configuration really bothers you, by all means, leave feedback here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Kevin Monahan
Jun 13, 2011, 02:06 PM
? Motion design software as opposed to NLE? Im lost with this question/answer...its been a long day :)

Apple Color is not inside FCP, it's a separate application. Color Finesse is also a separate application but runs as a plug-in inside After Effects. Both have very similar functionality. Hope that explains it better for you. :)

Kevin Monahan
Jun 13, 2011, 02:21 PM
BR support isn't built into the editing application, it's usually handled by another program. FCP7 doesn't burn discs, but DVD Studio Pro does.

Of course it's handled by another app, the question is whether the suite will include DVDSP, and if it does will it be an update that has BD support or just the same old version.

Incorrect, FCP 7 does burn BR discs through File > Share (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_7_share_stone.html). The menus and templates are very rudimentary, but it works. Who knows if there will be a DVDSP with the announce of the new app(s)? Or even if there was, would it support BR?

A far better choice that works right now is Adobe Encore (http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/features.html#categorylens_c972_featureset_f325). It works great for BR discs and allows for a lot of customizability for menus, buttons, etc.

KaneBaker
Jun 13, 2011, 02:23 PM
Apple Color is not inside FCP, it's a separate application. Color Finesse is also a separate application but runs as a plug-in inside After Effects. Both have very similar functionality. Hope that explains it better for you. :)

Hey Kevin since I am catching you here. I have one pet peeve with the master collection. All major apps except Photoshop let me work with a 'Dark' interface color, I find it less distracting that way.

Other than that I love the suite, Premiere has replaced Final Cut for me, but it is after effects that I live in.

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 02:25 PM
Apple Color is not inside FCP, it's a separate application. Color Finesse is also a separate application but runs as a plug-in inside After Effects. Both have very similar functionality. Hope that explains it better for you. :)That I know but I was referring to the original posters reply. The question was very vague but your answer was concise so I was wondering if that was the right/wrong answer :)

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 02:27 PM
Incorrect, FCP 7 does burn BR discs through File > Share (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_7_share_stone.html). The menus and templates are very rudimentary, but it works. Who knows if there will be a DVDSP with the announce of the new app(s)? Or even if there was, would it support BR?

A far better choice that works right now is Adobe Encore (http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/features.html#categorylens_c972_featureset_f325). It works great for BR discs and allows for a lot of customizability for menus, buttons, etc.Totally agree about Encore. It took a few versions but Adobe has it steady for now. I haven't approached anything close to Block Buster style Menus but got some decent result similar to Flash menus.

Kevin Monahan
Jun 13, 2011, 02:30 PM
But the editing capabilities and power of x has been demonstrated to be much more powerful and advanced over FCP 7, Avid, and Premiere. Just go watch the sneak peek.

Just a little reality check...

Have you worked with Premiere Pro CS5 or CS5.5 lately? Premiere Pro has been 64bit, Grand Central Dispatch, and native tapeless for two versions now. Everyone that's tried it admits that it's the fastest, best performing NLE out there. We'll see if FCPX can match the performance of the fire breathing monster that Premiere Pro has become.

Kevin Monahan
Jun 13, 2011, 02:31 PM
Hey Kevin since I am catching you here. I have one pet peeve with the master collection. All major apps except Photoshop let me work with a 'Dark' interface color, I find it less distracting that way.

Other than that I love the suite, Premiere has replaced Final Cut for me, but it is after effects that I live in.

Hey KaneBaker,
I hear you and it's a good one. Can you make a feature request? We really do read and count each one.

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Kevin Monahan
Jun 13, 2011, 02:33 PM
Totally agree about Encore. It took a few versions but Adobe has it steady for now. I haven't approached anything close to Block Buster style Menus but got some decent result similar to Flash menus.

Thanks mbox! It's always good to hear where we can improve. You can always make a feature request for more and better looking menus. Thanks!

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 02:35 PM
Hey KaneBaker,
I hear you and it's a good one. Can you make a feature request? We really do read and count each one.

http://www.adobe.com/go/wishI have a request. When can I render to QT 2GB plus files over AFP network using CS5 and up? :)

Just to add, at one point I must have hit the Adobe Crash Report over 50 times in a week last year for a solid few months. Not once did Adobe reply :P

spooky2k
Jun 13, 2011, 02:36 PM
Thats quite the distance from Vegas ;) I met an English bloke at SuperMeet, he was pretty stoked :)

Sure it is and sure you did, I don't doubt it. Just saying that not everyone that knows Final Cut knows NAB and Supermeet.

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 02:39 PM
Sure it is and sure you did, I don't doubt it. Just saying that not everyone that knows Final Cut knows NAB and Supermeet.Actually it was a funny thing. He went to NAB for the first time and he brought his mum along. I thought that was neat :) I couldnt get my mom out of the city if I tried :P

Kevin Monahan
Jun 13, 2011, 02:40 PM

These aren't the only video editing applications that run on a Mac. You can also choose Autodesk Smoke, Avid Media Composer, Premiere Pro and some lesser known ones. I recommend checking out Premiere Pro. In fact, you can download a 30-day trial of the entire Adobe Master Collection for CS5.5 here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=master_collection

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 02:43 PM
These aren't the only video editing applications that run on a Mac. You can also choose Autodesk Smoke, Avid Media Composer, Premiere Pro and some lesser known ones. I recommend checking out Premiere Pro. In fact, you can download a 30-day trial of the entire Adobe Master Collection for CS5.5 here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=master_collectionSmoke...now thats an easy app to learn :) LOL!

bretm
Jun 13, 2011, 02:45 PM

Have you worked with Premiere Pro CS5 or CS5.5 lately? Premiere Pro has been 64bit, Grand Central Dispatch, and native tapeless for two versions now. Everyone that's tried it admits that it's the fastest, best performing NLE out there. We'll see if FCPX can match the performance of the fire breathing monster that Premiere Pro has become.

Good thing you're not biased! :)

Well, yes I do have it (I have the entrie Adobe line and am an AE user since 3.x) and have opened my FCP projects in it via XML transfrer. ProRes projects. Also had the latest Matrox driver supporting Premiere. They transferred over fine for the most part. But I found that although the app had nice high end features and as always a great titler it refused to play my 1080i ProRes files without dropping frames and stuttering. The audio was abysmal to work with and missing basic group adjustment features. Honestly, this was in February with CS 5.x and I was ready to jump ship. The idea of roundtripping to AE was nice too. But after a couple of days I found it just to be as clunky as ever. I'm sure Premiere users would say the same thing after a few days on FCP. But the point is the performance wasn't overwhelming. And I found that it was much more mouse based that I thought it would be. It wasn't a slam dunk by any means and it would need to be to jump ship and change an entire workflow and alienate current clients or editors I work with. I'm sure I could learn to be just as proficient. Every NLE has it's oddities and FCP X will have more than most probalby. Other NLEs I've professionally used... videocube, media100, avid mc, and now fcp for last 10 years. In that order. So I'm not just spouting a bunch of crud.

Kevin Monahan
Jun 13, 2011, 02:47 PM
I have a request. When can I render to QT 2GB plus files over AFP network using CS5 and up? :)

Wow, you know us too well. You may know that we're working with Apple on that one. Read more about that including a workaround here (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/680432).

Just to add, at one point I must have hit the Adobe Crash Report over 50 times in a week last year for a solid few months. Not once did Adobe reply :P
Did you file a case with tech support? That's the best way to talk with us and to help resolve your problem.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/

bretm
Jun 13, 2011, 02:47 PM
Smoke...now thats an easy app to learn :) LOL!

And cheap too. WTH? If Smoke is what ya learned and know, great, but most people aren't going to spend 5x as much (I guess it's 20 times as much now) to learn something new that isn't any sort of a standard. It's a boutique system I figure. And priced to be.

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 02:50 PM
...media100, avid mc, and now fcp for last 10 years...I noticed you didnt bother to add Premiere 1 to 7 in that lot ;) I sure miss the good old days of media100...NOT!!
I wish I can add to this one but my extent is more on Avid MC.
If you really want to lose hair, just upgrade you FCP license to MC for $995 :P
Im not sure what hair plugs will cost but after a few clients you can pick and choose colors ;)

H. Flower
Jun 13, 2011, 02:51 PM
This better have 3 point editing.

If not, back to AVID or maybe Premiere.

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 02:53 PM
And cheap too. WTH? If Smoke is what ya learned and know, great, but most people aren't going to spend 5x as much (I guess it's 20 times as much now) to learn something new that isn't any sort of a standard. It's a boutique system I figure. And priced to be.Im glad i had the pleasure of sitting down with a Smoke jockey at NAB for a few hours (yes it was that slow for him).
Sure I dont know how to use it but just watching him go thru the myriad of options to do one simple mask :P Yikes!
Im an long time AE user and find Smoke to be closer to that than NLE.
Sure its called an finishing app but most if its so called strength is compositing and effect.
Again not experienced enough (Smoke) but Ive seen enough to say its not a starters option :)

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 02:59 PM
Wow, you know us too well. You may know that we're working with Apple on that one. Read more about that including a workaround here (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/680432).

Did you file a case with tech support? That's the best way to talk with us and to help resolve your problem.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/Sorry Kevin there are times when we cant bother with certain support options (even though we have an Enterprise account). The older crashes were due to CS4 baby steps and I think openGL. It was well documented on the web that it was one of the worse upgrades from Adobe. But hey after awhile it became stable :)
Then of course Adobe and Apple had to be stupid about their communication in codec API (dont quote me Im just spewing here).
I know the work around and so does a huge part of the industry. Were not happy (RED users case in point) but its not the end of the world.
Just fix it please!

spooky2k
Jun 13, 2011, 03:00 PM
Actually it was a funny thing. He went to NAB for the first time and he brought his mum along. I thought that was neat :) I couldnt get my mom out of the city if I tried :P

Haha. Trust the British! I bet he said "we'll have a big American holiday provided I get to do this!"I've never had the pleasure of NAB or Supermeet but hoping to in coming years.

Kevin Monahan
Jun 13, 2011, 03:03 PM
Good thing you're not biased! :)

You've got my number!

Well, yes I do have it (I have the entrie Adobe line and am an AE user since 3.x) and have opened my FCP projects in it via XML transfrer. ProRes projects. Also had the latest Matrox driver supporting Premiere. They transferred over fine for the most part. But I found that although the app had nice high end features and as always a great titler it refused to play my 1080i ProRes files without dropping frames and stuttering.

If you don't have a sturdy system, with GPU and plenty of RAM, you could experience this issue. Recall that Premiere Pro CS5 and CS5.5 are 64 bit applications and require more system resources. That said, whenever I experience performance issues in Premiere Pro (like on my MacBook Pro), I drop the screen resolution to 1/2. Right-click on the Program window and set it to a lower res.

The audio was abysmal to work with and missing basic group adjustment features. Honestly, this was in February with CS 5.x and I was ready to jump ship.

Group adjustment? You can do a submix with several tracks and adjust them at the same time. More info on that here (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b1038518aef7-7f22a.html). Might that work for you?

The idea of roundtripping to AE was nice too. But after a couple of days I found it just to be as clunky as ever. I'm sure Premiere users would say the same thing after a few days on FCP. But the point is the performance wasn't overwhelming.

Not sure what you mean by clunky. Dynamic Link just "works" but there are some issues you may be experiencing as you would with a Motion project living in a FCP timeline. Stuttery? Render it. Need to media manage it? Substitute a rendered file for the AE comp in the timeline. Keep in mind that you can always bring a question to the Premiere Pro forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current

And I found that it was much more mouse based that I thought it would be.

If you are talking about trimming with the keyboard, I agree with you. Make a feature request for that here (http://www.adobe.com/go/wish). Most all else has mappable keyboard shortcuts that will allow you to use a more keyboard oriented approach.

It wasn't a slam dunk by any means and it would need to be to jump ship and change an entire workflow and alienate current clients or editors I work with. I'm sure I could learn to be just as proficient. Every NLE has it's oddities and FCP X will have more than most probalby. Other NLEs I've professionally used... videocube, media100, avid mc, and now fcp for last 10 years. In that order. So I'm not just spouting a bunch of crud.

I hear you and thanks for the valuable feedback!

Kevin Monahan
Jun 13, 2011, 03:11 PM
Sorry Kevin there are times when we cant bother with certain support options (even though we have an Enterprise account). The older crashes were due to CS4 baby steps and I think openGL. It was well documented on the web that it was one of the worse upgrades from Adobe. But hey after awhile it became stable :)

I hear you.

Support is best when you've got a case number from customer support. After that, post the issue to the appropriate Adobe forum. Myself and my tech support counterpart troll those forums regularly and work hard on resolving any cases we can. In some cases, we can escalate the issue or ask engineering if there is a known fix.

Then of course Adobe and Apple had to be stupid about their communication in codec API (dont quote me Im just spewing here).
I know the work around and so does a huge part of the industry. Were not happy (RED users case in point) but its not the end of the world.
Just fix it please!

We are working hard to resolve this issue. Believe me, we know that our customers want a fix ASAP.

Thanks for your comments!

mBox
Jun 13, 2011, 03:30 PM
We are working hard to resolve this issue. Believe me, we know that our customers want a fix ASAP.

Thanks for your comments!You and Todd K ;) Hey I just want things to work so its all good :)

KeithPratt
Jun 13, 2011, 05:07 PM
There may be some sort of Blu-ray support...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/321102693.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1308003825&Signature=Li3%2FSPsgy7d7sg6O6676TGeChPQ%3D

chkdg8
Jun 13, 2011, 05:17 PM
I'll be upgrading to a new "27 iMac I7 just for FCPX. My almost 4 year old Mac cannot handle HD content that well anymore. And, pre-render and post rendering times in iMovie 11 are horrendous. I cannot wait for this and Lion to drop. Exciting times!

nomore
Jun 13, 2011, 05:52 PM
I just want to know it FCPX or Adobe Premier will support import and export of 1080/60p. So hard to find information since it's not part of AVCHD (yet).

lamacguy
Jun 13, 2011, 05:59 PM
There may be some sort of Blu-ray support...

Image (http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/321102693.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1308003825&Signature=Li3%2FSPsgy7d7sg6O6676TGeChPQ%3D)

nice!

KeithPratt
Jun 13, 2011, 06:12 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/321138795.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1308007685&Signature=HY9oqNtkZ4V79vNp0%2FdhYVSxOOI%3D

bretm
Jun 14, 2011, 12:17 AM
You've got my number!

If you don't have a sturdy system, with GPU and plenty of RAM, you could experience this issue. Recall that Premiere Pro CS5 and CS5.5 are 64 bit applications and require more system resources. That said, whenever I experience performance issues in Premiere Pro (like on my MacBook Pro), I drop the screen resolution to 1/2. Right-click on the Program window and set it to a lower res.

Group adjustment? You can do a submix with several tracks and adjust them at the same time. More info on that here (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b1038518aef7-7f22a.html). Might that work for you?

Not sure what you mean by clunky. Dynamic Link just "works" but there are some issues you may be experiencing as you would with a Motion project living in a FCP timeline. Stuttery? Render it. Need to media manage it? Substitute a rendered file for the AE comp in the timeline. Keep in mind that you can always bring a question to the Premiere Pro forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current

If you are talking about trimming with the keyboard, I agree with you. Make a feature request for that here (http://www.adobe.com/go/wish). Most all else has mappable keyboard shortcuts that will allow you to use a more keyboard oriented approach.

I hear you and thanks for the valuable feedback!

As for performance:
I'm running it on the same system as FCP 7, where I can easily playback multiple tracks of pro res 1080i in realtime via my matrox. So, if that's what 64bit and the mercury engine brings (stuttering pro res), then gosh yippie. I have 7 gigs of RAM. 2007 Mac Pro with esata gtech raid.

As for audio adjustments:
I want to be able to highlight multiple clips and adjust them up or down by a certain DB. FCP is fantastic at this. Very quick to make audio level changes and adjustments. I can draw a marquee around a range of clips. Then press cmd+opt+l and then type a number. Done.

As for clunky and dynamic link:
I was actually referring to the general interface as clunky. Even just visually it's nowhere near as appealing as FCP's look which is over 10 years old. I'm kinda surprised at the dark look that is overtaking systems (like the new FCP X, Avid, Premiere, AE, etc.) when it is generally more eye strain than the nice greys and pastels. Videocube had these same colors years ago and like FCP, was easy to look at all day.

The stuttering I referred to wasn't an AE project like Motion. Just ProRes files. Nothing to render.

bretm
Jun 14, 2011, 12:21 AM
Everyone I have worked with (BBC, Pinewood etc) knows what Final Cut Pro/Studio is and most directors I've met can use it, but none of them knew of NAB or the Supermeet. It's just us tech geeks (or anyone who has a geeks job for a living) that live on the bleeding edge who know these things.

Yeah, right. I don't know of anyone that is a paid FCP user, or a producer whose editors use FCP or a writer for producers whose editors use FCP that doesn't know of FCP X. They may not read the forums, but they know about it and about the NAB debacle.

Truffy
Jun 14, 2011, 04:26 AM
Does this mean that Color has been built into FCP? That would be great since although Color is powerful, round-tripping into it was a PITA.

Truffy
Jun 14, 2011, 04:34 AM

Does the installer suck as badly as the one for CS5 Design Suite? That managed to install all the apps with the wrong permissions so that they cannot be updated and much of the functionality is unavailable.

Given that CS5 was released last year and I only bought it in April, one year later, this isn't too reassuring of QC.

THX1139
Jun 14, 2011, 04:56 AM
I like and use Adobe products, but this thread feels like I'm at an Adobe forum. It seems like someone here is pushing the Adobe sales pitch a bit too hard for my tastes. :rolleyes:

mBox
Jun 14, 2011, 07:53 AM
I like and use Adobe products, but this thread feels like I'm at an Adobe forum. It seems like someone here is pushing the Adobe sales pitch a bit too hard for my tastes. :rolleyes:Were all bored, trying to kill time before Apple drops FCPX on us ;) So I dont mind the chatter as long as were all happy :)

Kevin Monahan
Jun 15, 2011, 04:54 PM
I like and use Adobe products, but this thread feels like I'm at an Adobe forum. It seems like someone here is pushing the Adobe sales pitch a bit too hard for my tastes. :rolleyes:

Sorry THX, it got started with some misinformation about Adobe video products. I had to respond to that and we got a few threads going about Premiere Pro and After Effects. Not a marketing guy, just armed with the facts.

Kevin Monahan
Jun 15, 2011, 04:55 PM
Does the installer suck as badly as the one for CS5 Design Suite? That managed to install all the apps with the wrong permissions so that they cannot be updated and much of the functionality is unavailable.

Given that CS5 was released last year and I only bought it in April, one year later, this isn't too reassuring of QC.
We have definitely worked hard to improve the installer experience for CS5.5. Sorry it caught you flat footed.

Kevin Monahan
Jun 15, 2011, 04:58 PM
I just want to know it FCPX or Adobe Premier will support import and export of 1080/60p. So hard to find information since it's not part of AVCHD (yet). You can make a feature request for that: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Kevin Monahan
Jun 15, 2011, 05:14 PM
As for performance:
I'm running it on the same system as FCP 7, where I can easily playback multiple tracks of pro res 1080i in realtime via my matrox. So, if that's what 64bit and the mercury engine brings (stuttering pro res), then gosh yippie. I have 7 gigs of RAM. 2007 Mac Pro with esata gtech raid.

Is it stuttering in a Matrox sequence? Did you try that? ProRes should work fine in Premiere Pro. In FCP 7, are you at Safe RT or Unlimited RT. If the timeline is at Unlimited RT, then you'll get better performance. We do something similar in Premiere Pro and that is to right click on the Program monitor and lower the resolution. Also, the way we handle native R3D files.

As for audio adjustments:
I want to be able to highlight multiple clips and adjust them up or down by a certain DB. FCP is fantastic at this. Very quick to make audio level changes and adjustments. I can draw a marquee around a range of clips. Then press cmd+opt+l and then type a number. Done.

Yes, I know that function. In Premiere Pro, try the audio gain dialog: Choose Clip > Audio Options > Audio Gain

As for clunky and dynamic link:
I was actually referring to the general interface as clunky. Even just visually it's nowhere near as appealing as FCP's look which is over 10 years old. I'm kinda surprised at the dark look that is overtaking systems (like the new FCP X, Avid, Premiere, AE, etc.) when it is generally more eye strain than the nice greys and pastels. Videocube had these same colors years ago and like FCP, was easy to look at all day.

You can make the interface pure black or any shade of gray in Preferences. I like it really dark too. I think it looks a lot better than FCP for sure.

The stuttering I referred to wasn't an AE project like Motion. Just ProRes files. Nothing to render.
Right. Try lowering the resolution to 1/2, it's akin to being in Unlimited RT.

Thanks for your questions!

Nostromo
Jun 16, 2011, 01:28 AM
Does this mean that Color has been built into FCP? That would be great since although Color is powerful, round-tripping into it was a PITA.

Me, too, I hope for this.

smali
Jun 20, 2011, 05:15 PM
@Kevin

The real question is will you really be able to justify the standalone cost of PP vs FCPX, that is if FCPX turns out to be what most people have hoped for?

Probably not.

mBox
Jun 20, 2011, 05:41 PM
@Kevin

The real question is will you really be able to justify the standalone cost of PP vs FCPX, that is if FCPX turns out to be what most people have hoped for?

Probably not.Noticed Adobe boasting huge migration of users. Well most I know buy the Master Collection so really PP outnumbers FCP at my work 6 to 1. However we don't use PP like we use FCP. Cost was justified thanks to After Effects and Photoshop :)