PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5 in Final Testing, Due in September

MacRumors
Jun 13, 2011, 12:59 AM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/iphone-5-in-final-testing-due-in-september/)

Apple was careful about managing expectations heading into the WWDC keynote. A week before the keynote, they spelled out (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/steve-jobs-to-introduce-icloud-ios-5-and-mac-os-x-lion-at-wwdc-keynote/) exactly what they would talk about (OS X Lion, iOS 5, and iCloud) and also specifically omitted any reference to new hardware. We believe the reason for the candor was the public expectation that the WWDC keynote has always been the launchpad for the next iPhone.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article/2011/03/16/151219-iphone5render_500.jpg
iPhone mockup by blkr

Instead, rumors have been persistent that the next iPhone would be released in the September timeframe. Reuters detailed (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/20/iphone-5-shipping-in-september-with-faster-processor-similar-look/) the timeline back in April:Apple Inc suppliers will begin production of its next-generation iPhone in July this year, with the finished product likely to begin shipping in September, three people familiar with the matter said on Wednesday.Right on schedule, we are now hearing from 9to5Mac (http://www.9to5mac.com/71724/next-iphone-reaches-final-testing-stage-verizon-likely-wont-support-3g-facetime-this-year/) that the iPhone 5 has reached the final testing stage and should be ready in time for a September launch.

Their source must be based in Verizon as they claim that it's not clear when Verizon will support 3G FaceTime, and reportedly some negotiations about the details of over-the-air updates remain ongoing. Verizon iPhones have strangely been left somewhat behind (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/verizon-iphone-owners-left-out-of-icloud-fun-for-now/) in software updates, still only able to support iOS 4.2.8 as the highest version. iOS 5 will consolidate the codebase across all iPhone models when it is released this fall.

Article Link: iPhone 5 in Final Testing, Due in September (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/iphone-5-in-final-testing-due-in-september/)

LastLine
Jun 13, 2011, 01:03 AM
This needs to hurry up - my 3GS is on it's last legs as it is ;-) An announcement date would at least let me know how much to spend on my 'get by till then' phone :)

FoxHoundADAM
Jun 13, 2011, 01:05 AM
That's a nice mock-up. I was going to do one until I googled iPhone 4 and called it good.

Regardless Apple will have to change something about the general appearance to "show" consumers" it is different. Doesn't have to be major but just something.

BTW if I hear one more 3GS user complain about being on their last leg I will scream. Try a 3G in iOS4.

aa521490
Sweet. Now I can retire my iPhone 3G.:)

CallistoJag
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

just in time for x-mas ;)

Peteman100
Jun 13, 2011, 01:06 AM
Verizon JUST got the iPhone and they're already trying to screw their customers....

andrewh93
Jun 13, 2011, 01:07 AM
My 3GS is also on its last legs - time to retire it to the trophy cabinet..

Insolence
Jun 13, 2011, 01:09 AM
Hopefully they'll get rid of the Glass back.... Aluminum ftw. Maybe curved edges too? iPad 2 Style <3

jimi78
Jun 13, 2011, 01:10 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's a nice mock-up. I was going to do one until I googled iPhone 4 and called it good.

Regardless Apple will have to change something about the general appearance to "show" consumers" it is different. Doesn't have to be major but just something.

BTW if I hear one more 3GS user complain about being on their last leg I will scream. Try a 3G in iOS4.

Does this have the thinner front bezel? Can't really tell what's different in this mock up from current

graham1971
Jun 13, 2011, 01:10 AM
Do they really mean the iPhone 5 is coming or are they talking about the iPhone 4s?

wordoflife
Jun 13, 2011, 01:11 AM
Yay. :)

Do they really mean the iPhone 5 is coming or are they talking about the iPhone 4s?

It doesn't matter what they decide to call it, but they are referring to the 5th generation iPhone.

Verizon JUST got the iPhone and they're already trying to screw their customers....

You mean to say that customers are getting screwed with each new Android that comes out every week?

This needs to hurry up - my 3GS is on it's last legs as it is ;-) An announcement date would at least let me know how much to spend on my 'get by till then' phone :)

Same! I want it now!

JoEw
Jun 13, 2011, 01:12 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does this have the thinner front bezel? Can't really tell what's different in this mock up from current

edge to edge glass

cffry
Jun 13, 2011, 01:13 AM
Seriously looking forward to a Sprint iPhone in September. I'm due for an upgrade in July, so these rumors will hold me over until it's officially announced. :D

appleguy123
Jun 13, 2011, 01:15 AM

I think that 9to5Mac are stupid when they say it will be called the 4s. Apple wouldn't get their numbers out of synch again.

brandnewfunk
Jun 13, 2011, 01:16 AM
I love the iPhone hardware. And I know that 5 will not disappoint. Wish I could put WP7 on one, though :(.

Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/iphone-5-in-final-testing-due-in-september/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article/2011/03/16/151219-iphone5render_500.jpg)

iPhone mockup by blkr
Apple was careful about managing expectations heading into the WWDC keynote. A week before the keynote, they spelled out (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/steve-jobs-to-introduce-icloud-ios-5-and-mac-os-x-lion-at-wwdc-keynote/) exactly what they would talk about (OS X Lion, iOS 5, and iCloud) and also specifically omitted any reference to new hardware. We believe the reason for the candor was the public expectation that WWDC keynote has always been the launchpad for the next iPhone.

Instead, rumors have been persistent that the next iPhone would be released in the September timeframe. Reuters detailed (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/20/iphone-5-shipping-in-september-with-faster-processor-similar-look/) the timeline back in April:Right on schedule, we are now hearing from 9to5Mac (http://www.9to5mac.com/71724/next-iphone-reaches-final-testing-stage-verizon-likely-wont-support-3g-facetime-this-year/) that the iPhone 5 has reached the final testing stage and should be ready in time for a September launch.

Their source must be based in Verizon as they claim that it's not clear when Verizon will support 3G FaceTime, and reportedly some negotiations about the details of over-the-air updates remain ongoing. Verizon iPhones have strangely been left somewhat behind (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/verizon-iphone-owners-left-out-of-icloud-fun-for-now/) in software updates, still only able to support iOS 4.2.8 as the highest version. iOS 5 will consolidate the codebase across all iPhone models when it is released this fall.

Article Link: iPhone 5 in Final Testing, Due in September (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/iphone-5-in-final-testing-due-in-september/)

rkmac
Jun 13, 2011, 01:20 AM
Hopefully they'll get rid of the Glass back.... Aluminum ftw. Maybe curved edges too? iPad 2 Style <3

I personally love the glass back. In fact, I love the current design all together. Can't wait to see what Apple have up their sleeves though :)

bb426
Jun 13, 2011, 01:21 AM
This is good news. Although, while I'm hoping for a different form factor (the current 4G seems sort of clunky to me, I never really liked the design), I don't foresee a significant change because of not only Apple's typical product refresh schedule but also from all the different rumors floating around and the fact that iOS has (arguably) not changed significantly from 4 to 5, which seems to also mark a hardware change if the software change is rather large.

Btw, nice mockup. Exactly the same as last year's mockup almost. Haha.

...Wish I could put WP7 on one, though :(.

Terrible idea, to say the least. ;)

Kelmon
Jun 13, 2011, 01:22 AM
Didn't we already know this? I mean, it's well known that Apple always updates the iPod in September for the "Holiday Season" and that the iPod itself is now much less important to the company. This isn't so much a rumour as something you could reasonably bet your mortgage on. This is just the reorganisation of the product release schedule that has been predicted for a while now.

santaliqueur
Jun 13, 2011, 01:23 AM
I'll buy whatever they release, though my 3GS is still a champ. AND it will run iOS 5? I love it. If it only had a better camera.

iNeedToDoHw
Jun 13, 2011, 01:26 AM
I just know what steve jobs is gonna say at the keynote.

"Same GREAT Design, improved performance"
lol

i hate keeping the last year's design personally.. :(

ben173
Jun 13, 2011, 01:29 AM
so theres no front led light??????/:confused:

Scottsdale
Jun 13, 2011, 01:30 AM
I am far more excited about iOS 5 and the iPhone 5 than anything else Apple is doing right now. Lion looks great, but the features aren't all that revolutionary as just taking some from iOS and putting them on the Mac. The iPhone hardware hopefully including a World unlocked phone, better pair of cameras, A5, and double RAM would be incredible paired with the new iOS 5.

Reach9
Jun 13, 2011, 01:36 AM
Great news! If all goes well we should be seeing lots of leaks next month on what to expect. Here's hoping for a bigger screen and a redesigned antenna, with a possibly curved back. C'mon Apple surprise us in a good way.

ben173
Jun 13, 2011, 01:39 AM
Great news! If all goes well we should be seeing lots of leaks next month on what to expect. Here's hoping for a bigger screen and a redesigned antenna, with a possibly curved back. C'mon Apple surprise us in a good way.

tell me if im wrong but i think the mock up shows it with a bigger screen:confused::confused:

Aduntu
Jun 13, 2011, 01:40 AM

Comments like these just baffle me.

LoganT
Jun 13, 2011, 01:49 AM

Quoting for truth.

kxbcvoi
Jun 13, 2011, 01:51 AM
September is the time for iPod. I don't think that they will launch both iPhone and iPod touch at the same time. Any idea?

Stang
Jun 13, 2011, 01:56 AM
Final testing, you say?

Let's hit the bars, fellas. There's bound to be a few in the wild somewhere.

brb cupertino bars.

haruhiko
Jun 13, 2011, 01:57 AM
September is the time for iPod. I don't think that they will launch both iPhone and iPod touch at the same time. Any idea? They didn't launch iPhone in September also. What's wrong for them to release the iPhone and iPod Touch with more or less similar specs at the same time?

cvaldes
Jun 13, 2011, 01:59 AM
Final testing, you say?

Let's hit the bars, fellas. There's bound to be a few in the wild somewhere.

brb cupertino bars.
See you at Paul & Eddie's!

:D
They didn't launch iPhone in September also. What's wrong for them to release the iPhone and iPod Touch with more or less similar specs at the same time?
I don't think the supply chain can handle it.

Apple and their manufacturing partners had severe availability issues when the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4 released last year, three months apart. Apple basically sells three iPhones for every two iPod touches. I simply don't believe that they can ramp production to launch both products within a month of each other.

The biggest problem is availability of the display parts followed closely by silicon. The supply demands are mitigated by a staggered iPad/iPhone/iPod touch release schedule. Cramming everything together doesn't help the situation.

brandnewfunk
Jun 13, 2011, 02:02 AM
This is good news. Although, while I'm hoping for a different form factor (the current 4G seems sort of clunky to me, I never really liked the design), I don't foresee a significant change because of not only Apple's typical product refresh schedule but also from all the different rumors floating around and the fact that iOS has (arguably) not changed significantly from 4 to 5, which seems to also mark a hardware change if the software change is rather large.

Btw, nice mockup. Exactly the same as last year's mockup almost. Haha.

haha. be honest... Say you weren't a tad bit disappointed in iOS 5?

chocolaterabbit
Jun 13, 2011, 02:13 AM
the one thing i would love is a 4" amoled screen with retina resolution. that would be perfect, and this tech already exists.
But i doubt Apple will humour me...

Jun 13, 2011, 02:37 AM
This is great news for customers.

Fredd-E
Jun 13, 2011, 02:49 AM
fall: iOS 5 + iPhone 5 = makes sense!

it would be rather illogical to name it anything else but iPhone 5.

Fraaaa
Jun 13, 2011, 02:52 AM
the one thing i would love is a 4" amoled screen with retina resolution. that would be perfect, and this tech already exists.

"You can't make an oled display with this resolution right now" - Steve Jobs, Jun 7, 2010

Castiel
Jun 13, 2011, 02:55 AM
No different from any other technological equipment. Technology moves so fast, nearly anything you buy in that sense is out-dated very quickly. Phones are no different. Just sayin'

caspersoong
Jun 13, 2011, 03:04 AM
I think that launching the iPhone and iPods at almost the same time would cause extreme burden on factories that can't even churn out iPad 2s in time.

Optimus Frag
Jun 13, 2011, 03:05 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Current iPhone 4 contract due for upgrade in December. Nice timing.

Icaras
Jun 13, 2011, 03:16 AM

You know, as much as I do love the back of the iPhone 4, I think I'm inclined to agree with you on this one.....following the lead of the iPad and iPod Touch back designs would probably be good...for both thinness and sturdiness i would think.

Also, I would appreciate consistency in Apple's iOS design line. It makes sense to do so.

boss.king
Jun 13, 2011, 03:31 AM
I think that launching the iPhone and iPods at almost the same time would cause extreme burden on factories that can't even churn out iPad 2s in time.

I think they have different factories for different devices (or at least separate manufacturing processes).

kiljoy616
Jun 13, 2011, 03:38 AM

Considering what I have been reading the iPhone 4 is going to be the ipad 1 to the iPhone 5, so I must have one for sure. Anyway I really am tired of the black one after seen first hand the white iPhone at the Apple Store oh so :cool:.

kiljoy616
Jun 13, 2011, 03:40 AM

iPhone S for Spectacular :p

NightFox
Jun 13, 2011, 03:43 AM
Yep, I can see them tying this in with the release of iOS5; announcing new iPhone with iOS5, which is also now available to iOS4 users.

kiljoy616
Jun 13, 2011, 03:44 AM
"You can't make an oled display with this resolution right now" - Steve Jobs, Jun 7, 2010

Sony already has an 11 inch TV and Samsung I believe had up to a 21 inch so I don't think think that is the issue, its more about the price and OLED is expensive right now but give it a few more years and we will see it in all its glory, maybe 2013 either way I don't think its going to be to long before we start to see it. :)

Just not for the iPhone 5 or even iPad 3. Now a big deal there are plenty of toys for me to play with.

yodaxl7
Jun 13, 2011, 03:57 AM
I think iOS 5 is awesome and huge!! We have not seen all of the features. We heard of other features, but not all of them. I think the iPhone will be a big improvement as well. My wish list: bigger screen, bigger storage (64 or more), LTE v2, nfc, improve camera components, a surprise that is unknown!!

Patrick J
Jun 13, 2011, 04:05 AM

The current screen will still be retina even if it expands to 4", keeping the current resolution. But I doubt it will be amoled.

Dr McKay
Jun 13, 2011, 04:12 AM

Part of me would love to do that. I love the design of the iPhone 4, but am increasingly drawn to the Windows Phone 7 OS. But don't like the look of any of the handsets.

Bootcamp for iPhone anyone? :D

Notice he said "now" and this quote is a year old.

cactus33
Jun 13, 2011, 04:24 AM
That looks decently nice,

But I really love the iP4 design, so I HOPE :apple: sticks with a '4S' and keeps the same design.... !

MathijsDelva
Jun 13, 2011, 04:28 AM
I don't know why, but i feel Apple has a new design up its sleeve.

NightFox
Jun 13, 2011, 04:43 AM
I think iOS 5 is awesome and huge!! We have not seen all of the features. We heard of other features, but not all of them. I think the iPhone will be a big improvement as well. My wish list: bigger screen, bigger storage (64 or more), LTE v2, nfc, improve camera components, a surprise that is unknown!!

Hardware changes are always possible, but I think we now know all the software changes that are coming in iOS5 except perhaps a few really minor ones:

http://www.ieatapples.com/ios5/

SiPat
Jun 13, 2011, 04:50 AM
I think that Apple will announce a snap-conference and introduce the iPhone5 before September 2011 running iOS 4.5 with free upgrade to iOS5 around October 2011.

At least two posters above have said their "3GS is on its last legs". Next week will be the 2nd anniversary of my 3GS which I use everyday, and it still looks brand new -- the accessories are still in their original wrappers in the box.

If my wife had a say in what phone to get next, she'd look at the 3GS and demand I use it for at least another two years!

vnowarita
Jun 13, 2011, 04:57 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

The notification system was enough for me. Hate having to jailbreak in order to get a decent one.

StellarSoul
Jun 13, 2011, 04:57 AM
If Apple are planning on permanently shifting their iPhone announcements to a September timeframe each year, I think it's a great move. Here's why. Previously, the first half of the year always seemed a little packed. iPad and iPhone announcements all within the first half of the year, leaving a silly little iPod refresh event till the end of the year? Nah ah. A lot more spaced out now. iPad owns the first third of the year. Software and the Mac own the second third and the iPhone and iPod in a combined September event. Awesome arrangement.

Michael CM1
Jun 13, 2011, 05:01 AM
I am far more excited about iOS 5 and the iPhone 5 than anything else Apple is doing right now. Lion looks great, but the features aren't all that revolutionary as just taking some from iOS and putting them on the Mac. The iPhone hardware hopefully including a World unlocked phone, better pair of cameras, A5, and double RAM would be incredible paired with the new iOS 5.

I'm not buying an iPhone 5, but you pretty much listed what people have to look foward to. Cameras will always be ticked up with whatever the latest is at that price point, the A5 is assured if it can fit in that tiny thing. I don't know about RAM because I don't even recall how much is in iPad 2 or iPhone 4, but an increase wouldn't shock me.

The unification of the cell models is going to be really important. I'm sure people would love to own an iPhone that works on whatever network and then not have to buy a new phone at $199 or whatever to switch networks. If you're in another country that does one-year contracts, you certainly want this. But I think we also want this in the US because I don't want to upgrade my phone every two years.

I have pretty much done that because I have been able to find a buyer for my original iPhone after I bought it cheap, gave my mom my 3GS, and eventually I'll give her my iPhone 4 when I get an iPhone 6 (yes, 6) to switch to Verizon after this contract runs out. When I jump ship to Verizon, I HOPE to not need to switch phones again, but you never know. But I'd also like to be able to hand these down to my parents if need be since it would be an upgrade for them, and they're not technophobes. My mom LOVES her 3GS even without the retina display.

BlindMellon
Jun 13, 2011, 05:12 AM
If Apple is planning on permanently shifting their iPhone announcements to a September timeframe each year, I think it's a great move. Here's why. Previously, the first half of the year always seemed a little packed. iPad and iPhone announcements all within the first half of the year, leaving a silly little iPod refresh event till the end of the year? Nah ah. A lot more spaced out now. iPad owns the first third of the year. Software and the Mac own the second third and the iPhone and iPod in a combined September event. Awesome arrangement.
(fixed that for you)

Man, the people around here that are so pleased that Apple is delaying the iPhone until September. "Brilliant!" "Awesome Move!" You guys will swallow anything Steve gives you and ask for more.

I, instead, am wondering why the delay and what it means for us:

Is Apple development really so pathetic that it takes them 16 months to insert a new chip and camera in the iPhone 4?

Have they run into much more trouble making a "world phone" than they thought? Seeing how long it took them to iron out the white phone problems, this really isn't too surprising.

Has Apple been shaken up they the new Samsung phone and felt it needed to give us something more than a warmed over iPhone 4, so they delayed the release so they could give us something really worth the extra wait?

Or is it pure marketing so they can milk us for all we're worth with things like the white model mid-season?

I wonder just what the hell Apple devs have been doing for the last year?

michaelsviews
Jun 13, 2011, 05:12 AM

In the same boat. My 3G is hanging in there, and have my son's 3GS as a last ditch back up to mine but I have held out this long. So if the iPhone 5 with outstanding NEW hardware comes in September I'm all for it, if its a slight tweak then forget it.

Since I have the iPad w/3G, been thinking of dropping the iPhone all together and switching to pay as you go for voice, but I have the unlimited data plan.

Mr. Gates
Jun 13, 2011, 05:23 AM
I want a 4.5 inch screen !

I'm getting really tired of this tiny phone.

My fingers cover too much when playing games.

Bigger just makes sense.

The whole "Magic" of the iPad was the size ....thats IT !

They learned that it takes things to a new level.

Do it to the iPhone too

StellarSoul
Jun 13, 2011, 05:26 AM

Bigger just makes sense.

Do it to the iPhone too

On that note (gaming), wouldn't it be awesome if they made the whole phone slightly longer, including the height of top and bottom bezel, but then created the bezels to be touch receptive and have simple directional pad style inputs fade on to them when needed. Just a thought.

NightFox
Jun 13, 2011, 05:31 AM
f my wife had a say in what phone to get next, she'd look at the 3GS and demand I use it for at least another two years!

If my wife had a say I'd still be using my Motorola flip-phone :(

pyro008
Jun 13, 2011, 05:35 AM
I think that 9to5Mac are stupid when they say it will be called the 4s. Apple wouldn't get their numbers out of synch again.
Going from 5 to 4G makes no sense, so depending on their naming plans for the 6th gen, I'd say 4S is possible. It depends how much they want their names to be in sync with the generation.

zerofour
Jun 13, 2011, 05:41 AM
Quite frustrating all of this. Looking forward to see what happens. Would prefer to get an iPhone but my increasingly random phone needs replacing asap and Android is beginning to look tempting unfortunately.

RobQuads
Jun 13, 2011, 05:41 AM
why[/I] the delay

I suspect its because they did not like having the iPad release so close to the iPhone release. Having them offset means that it more people are likely to buy each item straight away.

Lesser Evets
Jun 13, 2011, 05:43 AM
September is the time for iPod. I don't think that they will launch both iPhone and iPod touch at the same time. Any idea?

Since the iPT is a stripped down version of the iPhone, they should just lump iPod and iPhone all together with releases as the tech is updated.

Personally, I think they should have a release for all iOS devices. If they release an iPad this September as well, it would be fine with me. Who says they NEED to wait until January to release a new version? If Apple goes off schedule, they should do so for their business interests, not to meet a date on a calendar.

twoodcc
Jun 13, 2011, 05:43 AM
sounds good. looking forward to it, but it better be good!

youknome
Jun 13, 2011, 05:44 AM
I'm pretty certain there will be some kind of LED light on the front as iOS 5 has pointed out already to us. Keeping it on the back with the camera flash seems very silly like how it is with the iPhone 4.

michaelsviews
Jun 13, 2011, 05:45 AM
If my wife had a say I'd still be using my Motorola flip-phone :(

Does your wife know my wife? She said the same thing, then I said and who fixes your "Windows PC" when it breaks? :D

Not an EGO thing, Apple products are like an addiction, only thing is I use them to the max, so goto your Candy Bar phone or flip phone & deal with it honey

designed
Jun 13, 2011, 05:52 AM

That would've been my reaction too, but sadly my 3G gave up finally (the earpiece started distorting everything) last Friday. I'm glad that it lasted past the WWDC keynote though, just to see that there was no new iPhone "available... today!". :rolleyes:

DELLsFan
Jun 13, 2011, 05:57 AM

No, Verizon customers were foolish to contract with the iPhone 4 since a refresh to the phone comes every summer. They screwed themselves.

Tovenaar
Jun 13, 2011, 05:57 AM
I think the next gen iPhone will be called just "iPhone". I really can't imagine Apple continuing to iterate the model name like that (iPhone 6 just sounds silly), and almost everything else they have doesn't carry a version number (the only exception is iPad).

Skika
Jun 13, 2011, 06:00 AM
I would really like an iPad 2 like design with aluminum back. Maybe go for the plastic strip like the 3G version for the antenna solution?

fungus
Jun 13, 2011, 06:01 AM

If by releasing this new phone 7 months after the Verizon one then yes, they're trying to screw you :rolleyes:

The biggest problem is availability of the display parts followed closely by silicon. The supply demands are mitigated by a staggered iPad/iPhone/iPod touch release schedule. Cramming everything together doesn't help the situation.

Not sure what you're referring to about "display parts"? The iPhone/Touch screens are not the same.

fkhan3
Jun 13, 2011, 06:06 AM

Bigger just makes sense.

Do it to the iPhone too

I'd love a 4.5" screen, even 4.3" would work, we'll be getting notifications soon with iOS5 and more screen real estate would be awesome.

DELLsFan
Jun 13, 2011, 06:07 AM

Bigger just makes sense.

Do it to the iPhone too

+1

My older eyes are getting tired of the old 3.5" screen. I'd like an iPhone slightly larger than the current model, but not as big as an iPad or those 7" tablets. Maybe the size of a DELL Streak 5 or a little smaller... Whatever can give me more screen real estate will be appreciated! :cool:

nelmat
Jun 13, 2011, 06:08 AM
Going from 5 to 4G makes no sense, so depending on their naming plans for the 6th gen, I'd say 4S is possible. It depends how much they want their names to be in sync with the generation.

Odd judgment based on a flawed assumption. The current iphone is 4. They won't call a phone 4G because it has "4G", as it will be multi-network, multi-technology. Not enough 4G coverage internationally. The next iphone will be called iPhone 5 and the one after that will be 6.

Popeye206
Jun 13, 2011, 06:09 AM
Quite frustrating all of this. Looking forward to see what happens. Would prefer to get an iPhone but my increasingly random phone needs replacing asap and Android is beginning to look tempting unfortunately.

What is frustrating?

Alchematron
Jun 13, 2011, 06:11 AM
4.5 inch screen?

Sweeeeeet :D

KnightWRX
Jun 13, 2011, 06:11 AM
Odd judgment based on a flawed assumption. The current iphone is 4. They won't call a phone 4G because it has "4G", as it will be multi-network, multi-technology. Not enough 4G coverage internationally. The next iphone will be called iPhone 5 and the one after that will be 6.

Or they will just call it iPhone.

Kind of like iPod Touch, or iPod Nano, or MacBook, or their whole other product lines except iPad and iPhone.

Popeye206
Jun 13, 2011, 06:13 AM
No, Verizon customers were foolish to contract with the iPhone 4 since a refresh to the phone comes every summer. They screwed themselves.

I disagree. First of all, go to a phone store.... look at all those "free or cut rate phones". Research a couple and notice that most are at the end of their life cycle or already discontinued. At least the iPhone 4 is good hardware and with the iOS 5 update it will seem as fresh as the new iPhone 5.

Besides... most consumers don't even know this or care. We (the geeky crowd) follow this stuff, but your average person does not. They just buy what they want or are sold.

graham1971
Jun 13, 2011, 06:21 AM
The next iphone will be called iPhone 5 and the one after that will be 6.

I can't see Apple changing the body much. Most of the updates will be internal, so I can't see how they can call it an iPhone 5 if it's an iPhone 4 with updated internals. The 9to5mac story makes no mention of the iPhone 5, only of an updated iPhone.

Ramius
Jun 13, 2011, 06:23 AM
As long as the phone doesn´t look like iPhone 4.
I did not like that. It was too bulky and rough, compared to earlier Apple products. 3GS was much nicer.

Honestly I think Apple products has had a bit of a design crisis with their latest products, because they dont look as nice and refined as their predecessors.

The iPod Nano looks bulky and cheap, and honestly, the first iPod Nano was BEAUTIFUL, and much nicer than the new ones.

The Shuffle however is a product that glows of refinement towards the better. But iPhone 4 was a step back. The antennagates is just like Steve Jobs said in the beginning. "Those lines is not like Apple".

And the first generation iPad did look better than iPad 2. Even though the second one was thinner, the speakers were ugly, and too many smaller details ruined the design - which offered almost no improvement visually, other than just being thinner.

So overall I hope Apple finds a new theme soon for their products. Because during the last two-three years, all they´ve done is recycling old design ideas and kind of run out of new ones.

epsilon20
Jun 13, 2011, 06:26 AM
so theres no front led light??????/:confused:

I have this on my work Blackberry and it makes the phone looks like its from the 80's. Red flashes for messages, yellow flashes for low battery etc

...its annoying.

Hope they make the iphone5 tappered at the sides. The iphone4 looks fat from some angles compared to my 3G.:p

brettryan
Jun 13, 2011, 06:30 AM
Are you all terribly rich or something? I'm still on a $100 phone because the iPhones are far too expensive for me. Around 1000$AU for a phone or an 80$ month 24 contract is insane just for a phone!

I'm actually hoping they cut it down a little like they did with the iPod nano.

KnightWRX
Jun 13, 2011, 06:31 AM
I can't see Apple changing the body much. Most of the updates will be internal, so I can't see how they can call it an iPhone 5 if it's an iPhone 4 with updated internals.

So, by your theory, the iPhone 4 is the 3rd generation iPhone ? :rolleyes:

Calling the 5th generation iPhone anything but iPhone 5 or just plain iPhone is silly when they went to the trouble of getting the names and generations back in sync with iPhone 4.

Maybe that's what the S means in iPhone 4S, iPhone 4Silly.

Kyllle
Jun 13, 2011, 06:35 AM
I'd be happy with a 4 inch screen, I think 4.5 inch is too big of a jump from 3.5 inch. Definitely not 5 inch, that Dell streak is just plain ugly, and can't make up its mind what it is trying to be.

Also, if the screen size increases, I don't see Apple increasing the resolution, because that would force developers to change their apps, and now they would have 4 different resolutions to support (regular 480, retina 640, ipad 768, and now whatever the new resolution would be).

Instead, I could see Apple making a smaller bump in screen size (4 inch), and keeping the resolution, that way the screen wouldn't lose much of it's crispness (I'm sure they'd still call it a retina display too), and developers wouldn't have to change anything.

A 4.5 inch at the current resolution would pull down the ppi too much for Apple, and they definitely wouldn't be able to call it retina display anymore.

Keebler
Jun 13, 2011, 06:41 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm all over a new iPhone. The wife needs a new phone and can take my 3GS over or I'll give it to my brother who is so technically illiterate but needs a phone.

lozpop
Jun 13, 2011, 06:44 AM
And what about the much-rumored cheaper and unlocked iPhone? Even Tim Cook hinted at this for the prepaid market.

Do you think that we are going to see it when the real iPhone 5 will be announced in 2012? For "real" I mean not the iPhone 4S we're going to see in september.

KnightWRX
Jun 13, 2011, 06:46 AM
Do you think that we are going to see it when the real iPhone 5 will be announced in 2012? For "real" I mean not the iPhone 4S we're going to see in september.

What's not real about the iPhone 3GS ? Have you ever used and compared a 3G and a 3GS ?

Again, another silly poster thinking outward appearance is all that matters.

The 5th Generation iPhone, even if it looks identical to the 4th Generation iPhone, will still be the 5th Generation iPhone.

Kyllle
Jun 13, 2011, 06:51 AM
What's not real about the iPhone 3GS ? Have you ever used and compared a 3G and a 3GS ?

The 5th Generation iPhone, even if it looks identical to the 4th Generation iPhone, will still be the 5th Generation iPhone.

I agree, I think it would make since for the 2011 to be called 4S, then in 2012 it would be called 4G once it supports LTE and HSPA+

After that though, in 2013 (7th generation), I think Apple needs to drop the numbers and just call it an iPhone. iPhone 7, 8, and 9 just sounds stupid.

However, I'm all for the iPhone X, in 2016 (quad core processor and 4 gigs of memory, 1080p screen), hahah. I think I may be getting a bit ahead of myself...

QCassidy352
Jun 13, 2011, 06:53 AM
haha. be honest... Say you weren't a tad bit disappointed in iOS 5?

Nope, it exceeded my expectations.

KnightWRX
Jun 13, 2011, 06:58 AM
I agree, I think it would make since for the 2011 to be called 4S, then in 2012 it would be called 4G once it supports LTE and HSPA+

I don't think Apple will want to call their 6th generation iPhone the 4G. If anything, I think this is the year iPhone just becomes iPhone.

spazzcat
Jun 13, 2011, 07:01 AM
The only thing I am willing to predict is that the next iPhone will have the best antenna ever, Apple will not risk that again...

peapody
Jun 13, 2011, 07:11 AM
I am a verizon person, and it disappoints me that the verizon phones are getting left behind. When my contract is up, I will still go for a verizon phone simply because of the signal strength and call quality...but will be disappointed if speeds and facetime are not up to snuff.

Samuriajackon
Jun 13, 2011, 07:14 AM

You can have my DROID. It doesn't do some stuff well, like the APP support sucks, the system gets bogged down fast, i'm constantly running low on battery power cause the damn thing let's ANYTHING run on it's resources, it has a terrible time meeting itunes, and it takes forever for this thing to scan and read new files after I put them on the SD Card(If I sync my music to my phone i can sit and wait about 2 minutes per GB before the phone actually sees it).

I just bought an iPhone, i suggest staying away from the Droids. Unless you plan on using nothing but the basic preinstalled APPS.

Otherwise I'm selling mine for 200USD, please feel free to email.

silentnite
Jun 13, 2011, 07:15 AM
The timing couldn't be better. Back to school shopping & fall when everyone is spending money.:D

lozpop
Jun 13, 2011, 07:17 AM

Thanks, really friendly.
I know that every iPhone generation is important, but even Steve Jobs said that the iPhone 4 was the big step forward from the first generation iPhone. Therefore, considering that the iPhone 4 is almost perfect and it's selling a lot, I thought that Apple could launch a new cheaper iPhone when another big step forward will be done.

KnightWRX
Jun 13, 2011, 07:21 AM
Thanks, really friendly.
I know that every iPhone generation is important, but even Steve Jobs said that the iPhone 4 was the big step forward from the first generation iPhone. Therefore, considering that the iPhone 4 is almost perfect and it's selling a lot, I thought that Apple could launch a new cheaper iPhone when another big step forward will be done.

There's always a new cheaper iPhone available. Today it's the 3GS. After the next refresh, it's going to be the 4.

And what does that have to do with your comment about not calling the 5th generation iPhone the iPhone 5 or calling the 6th generation iPhone the iPhone 5 (which is even sillier).

ChrisTX
Jun 13, 2011, 07:27 AM
Thanks, really friendly.

The iPhone 4 was a giant leap forward, but that's not to say that the 3G[S] wasn't a big leap forward internally either. With that being said, I hope the next gen iPhone gets a design change. Not because I dislike the look of the iPhone 4 but because the design will start to become long in the tooth since they are taking an extended time period with upgrading the 4. The iPhone 4 on Verizon was huge as I know of several people on VZ that switched from Android to it. Just hope the next generation iPhone isn't a letdown.

peapody
Jun 13, 2011, 07:27 AM
The timing couldn't be better. Back to school shopping & fall when everyone is spending money.:D

I can imagine college students getting in on this big time.

dodegy
Jun 13, 2011, 07:28 AM

I know what you feel when reading this, but try a 1G in only IOS3. Btw, it has survived 3 years ;D.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2011, 07:39 AM
But will the new iPhone be powerful enough to mine for Bitcoins?

ChrisTX
Jun 13, 2011, 07:40 AM
I know what you feel when reading this, but try a 1G in only IOS3. Btw, it has survived 3 years ;D.

Internally the first iPhone is a dinosaur, but it's outward appearance is still one of the best yet!

BackInAction
Jun 13, 2011, 07:44 AM
I wonder just what the hell Apple devs have been doing for the last year?If I had to guess, it is the iPhone 6. My fear is that the iPhone 5 will ship this fall, but the '6' will be available next summer.

Roy Hobbs
Jun 13, 2011, 07:50 AM
Are you all terribly rich or something? I'm still on a $100 phone because the iPhones are far too expensive for me. Around 1000$AU for a phone or an 80$ month 24 contract is insane just for a phone!

Rich? iPhones are not that expensive.
I can't fathom why people think iPhones are expensive and if you think they are you might want to look for a better job.

Popeye206
Jun 13, 2011, 07:53 AM
If I had to guess, it is the iPhone 6. My fear is that the iPhone 5 will ship this fall, but the '6' will be available next summer.

I get the feeling Apple is looking to change the release time to the 4th quarter. I'm also guessing the iPhone6 will be a major change and they are taking their time to make sure it's not rushed like the iPhone4 was. I think the launch pains of the 4 they don't want to repeat.

I just hope AT&T cut us early iPhone4 customers a break and allow us an early upgrade to the new phone. I think the new processor would be nice to have even though the current iPhone 4 is great.

ChrisTX
Jun 13, 2011, 07:53 AM
If I had to guess, it is the iPhone 6. My fear is that the iPhone 5 will ship this fall, but the '6' will be available next summer.

Your fear? Apple releases a new phone every year, and will continue to do so for many years to come. You can guarantee that the next model will never be the last model. Technology evolves, and so does Apple.

psychedelia
Jun 13, 2011, 07:54 AM
More storage please!

jonnysods
Jun 13, 2011, 07:56 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I like the iPhone 4. This will have to be really good otherwise I'll just wait for the next gen.

Seanozz
Jun 13, 2011, 07:59 AM

I never understand why everyone does not upgrade? Every new phone I've bought and apple has always found a way to let me out of my contract and renew it at the time of upgrading.

I then go home and sell the old one on eBay for twice what I paid or more for the newest model.

For example. I got 600 for my 3GS and only spent 199 for the 4.

Heck u can still get 300 for a 3GS right now.

GooMan
Jun 13, 2011, 08:01 AM
I really hope they release a new phone soon and I hope and pray its 3G only. C'mon Apple, just one more release before you move to "4G". I want a couple more years before I have to swap over.

kevin2i
Jun 13, 2011, 08:05 AM

Apple will replace the back for $29.

Or you can go on ebay/google, get aluminum, colored glass, etc for $10-30. Two screws, and the back slides up and off.

http://www.unplggd.com/unplggd/how-to/add-a-metal-back-to-your-iphone-4-129754

:cool:

WannaGoMac
Jun 13, 2011, 08:08 AM
Let's hope they do some radical changes in distribution in the USA. Android is growing very well in the US... and couple that with how cheap you can get phones now from the non-major carriers

For example, LG Optimus Android phone $150 on Virgin Mobile $25/month with data texts and 300 minutes! $60 cheaper than ATT or verizon!

WannaGoMac
Jun 13, 2011, 08:10 AM

I never understand why everyone does not upgrade? Every new phone I've bought and apple has always found a way to let me out of my contract and renew it at the time of upgrading.

I then go home and sell the old one on eBay for twice what I paid or more for the newest model.

Because some of us were gambling that AT&T would lose its exclusivity to Verizon -- which it did! Also, I wasn't impressed with the improvements in the iphone 4 over my 3gs to do the hassle of switching selling etc.

Thunderhawks
Jun 13, 2011, 08:12 AM

ftw: iPhone Plus and call it ios 5 savvy:-)

miisterlim
Jun 13, 2011, 08:12 AM
Dang I just got the Samsung Galaxy S2 too, ah well...

toddybody
Jun 13, 2011, 08:13 AM
Aluminum back and A5, can't go wrong ;)

ten-oak-druid
Jun 13, 2011, 08:14 AM
1. Will sprint have the iphone when 4.5 comes out or 5?

2. By the time iphone 5 is out, will you be able to purchase one unlocked with no contract?

I'm more interested in he answer o number 2 but I'm sure many sprint customers would like the answer to number 1.

Seanozz
Jun 13, 2011, 08:19 AM

Because some of us were gambling that AT&T would lose its exclusivity to Verizon -- which it did! Also, I wasn't impressed with the improvements in the iphone 4 over my 3gs to do the hassle of switching selling etc.

Guess the switch to Verizon and waiting for your contract to run out makes sense. Not sure why others would not want to get a new phone and make a profit though.

Kyllle
Jun 13, 2011, 08:20 AM

And how exactly do you get out of your contract every year? I'm assuming you have a 2-year contract, if you have a 1-year, then it's self-explanatory...

Are you in the US?

Kyllle
Jun 13, 2011, 08:22 AM
1. Will sprint have the iphone when 4.5 comes out or 5?

2. By the time iphone 5 is out, will you be able to purchase one unlocked with no contract?

I'm more interested in he answer o number 2 but I'm sure many sprint customers would like the answer to number 1.

1. Probably not, I haven't heard hardly anything about the Sprint iPhone, contrary to how everyone was talking about the Verizon iPhone for months (years, really) prior to its release.

2. If you're in the US, then no, I highly doubt Apple will sell them unlocked, but you can usually get them unlocked via a 3rd party for a fee. And you can already purchase them without a contract, for $600.

RevoDS
Jun 13, 2011, 08:23 AM
This combined with the fact that iOS 5 doesn't reference any future iPod Touch model most likely means that Apple is shifting both releases back a quarter.

Q3 will see iPhone refreshes from now on, and iPods will see an update around November, just in time for the holidays. No production conflict as mentioned in the first pages, as the releases remain a few months apart.

ugahairydawgs
Jun 13, 2011, 08:35 AM

There is so much wrong with this statement that it is hard to know where to start.

1.) Would prefer to get an iPhone but my increasingly random phone needs replacing asap... Well, then go buy an iPhone. If you want an iPhone and there are iPhones for sale, then go pick one up. This becomes even more of an obvious choice when you take into account that you seem to have phone issues now. If you are constantly holding out for the latest and greatest hardware then you are always going to be sitting on the fence of whether or not to buy.

2.) and Android is beginning to look tempting unfortunately...Then maybe you should pick up a Droid. If you want to try out an Android phone why is that deserving of an "unfortunately" qualifier? You don't get bonus points for using a phone/platform that you don't like just because you happen to be visiting a site that covers that topic...pretty simple.

Long story short....if you need a phone, buy a phone. If you want an iPhone it is hard to go wrong with the i4. If you want an Android phone well then you have a lot of good options there too. Figure out which one you want and go with that.

MrMoore
Jun 13, 2011, 08:45 AM
I can't wait for the new iPhone to come out. Just so the "it will be called iPhone 4s, no it will be iPhone 5" posts will be done. :rolleyes:

DiamondMac

People can't complain about their products b/c you can't afford them?

Northgrove
With the surprising (to me) news that iOS 5 would support the 3GS, and also the impressive speed comparison video clip posted here with the iPhone 4 pitted against the 3GS, I'm not sure I'll update even to the iPhone 5. We'll see... That will depend a lot on features. If the primary two features are a new CPU and a new 8 MP camera, I may just pass on this generation and jump straight for the iPhone 6.

Big D 51
Jun 13, 2011, 08:56 AM
This can't come soon enough! :D :apple:

kalsta
Jun 13, 2011, 08:57 AM

'Yea' to losing the glass back. 'Nay' to the sharp (iPad 2 / iPod Touch style) edges.

Me too. I still like my old 3G, but I think I like iOS 5 more. :)

ilovemyibook
Jun 13, 2011, 08:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

How are they screwing people? It's your dumb fault if you bought a phone that had half of it's life cycle done when you bought it. It's not like it's going to go bad when the iPhone 5 comes out.

kenypowa
Jun 13, 2011, 08:59 AM
I don't know why, but i feel Apple has a new design up its sleeve.

Not going to happen. Apple is not known to dump its previous designs after only one generation. The original iPhone form factor lasted 3 years, and no way Apple would dump the breautiful iPhone 4 design after only 1 year and 2 months.

Val-kyrie
Jun 13, 2011, 09:10 AM
Let's hope they do some radical changes in distribution in the USA. Android is growing very well in the US... and couple that with how cheap you can get phones now from the non-major carriers

For example, LG Optimus Android phone $150 on Virgin Mobile $25/month with data texts and 300 minutes! $60 cheaper than ATT or verizon!

I would have gone with the Optimus on Virgin Mobile if the coverage was available here. Unfortunately, if I travel to a nearby town merely five miles south, there is a huge gap in coverage and the phone is unusable. Why can't Verizon or AT&T offer a plan like VM. This is all I need.

URFloorMatt
Jun 13, 2011, 09:12 AM
Not going to happen. Apple is not known to dump its previous designs after only one generation. The original iPhone form factor lasted 3 years, and no way Apple would dump the breautiful iPhone 4 design after only 1 year and 2 months.

They dumped the iPad's.

gadget123
Jun 13, 2011, 09:15 AM

Curved back? No thanks that's for the old models the new design is way better.

Bubba Satori
Jun 13, 2011, 09:15 AM
"...a reason for candor"?
And when they don't have a reason for candor, they do what?

Frosties
Jun 13, 2011, 09:18 AM
(fixed that for you)

The new bioengineered hands to use with the iPhone so you can always hold it right.

gramirez2012
Jun 13, 2011, 09:20 AM
Hell yes!!! The contract for my iPhone 3G ends next month! With iOS 4, it's essentially a paperweight.

Thunderhawks
Jun 13, 2011, 09:21 AM
This can't come soon enough! :D :apple:

Yes, paleeeeeze!

How many iphone 5 threads can one have?

It's all been said! Bring it on.

ineedamac
Jun 13, 2011, 09:21 AM

Funniest thing I've heard all day.

zombierunner
Jun 13, 2011, 09:23 AM
I am a year into my iphone 4 contract which ends july 2012 .. i suppose by then iphone 6 should be announced .. would prefer if apple stuck to june/july timeframe for iphones.

Arcadie
Jun 13, 2011, 09:24 AM
Should they really call it 5 already? I think they should play out the number 4 for as long as possible 4, 4g, 4gs.. If not in a few years we will be reading rumors about the iphone 17.. just not a very good ring to it. They should have never started this number game, just call it an iphone and be dont just like the imacs and macbook.

adeloren
Jun 13, 2011, 09:27 AM
It will not be called 4s... :mad:

2g - 1
3g - 2
3gs - 3
4 - 4

They are not going to throw off the numbering now that they finally got it back on track. Its pretty retarded imo when people say 4s.

Its just not happening.

torbjoern
Jun 13, 2011, 09:32 AM
Should they really call it 5 already? I think they should play out the number 4 for as long as possible 4, 4g, 4gs.. If not in a few years we will be reading rumors about the iphone 17.. just not a very good ring to it. They should have never started this number game, just call it an iphone and be dont just like the imacs and macbook.

They will probably use letters after all the 1-digit numbers have been used. This is not to be confused with hexadecimals, btw.

4 = 4
9 = 9
10 = A
11 = B
12 = C
13 = D
14 = E
15 = F
16 = G
17 = H

TMay
Jun 13, 2011, 09:35 AM
As long as the phone doesn´t look like iPhone 4.
I did not like that. It was too bulky and rough, compared to earlier Apple products. 3GS was much nicer.

Honestly I think Apple products has had a bit of a design crisis with their latest products, because they dont look as nice and refined as their predecessors.

The iPod Nano looks bulky and cheap, and honestly, the first iPod Nano was BEAUTIFUL, and much nicer than the new ones.

The Shuffle however is a product that glows of refinement towards the better. But iPhone 4 was a step back. The antennagates is just like Steve Jobs said in the beginning. "Those lines is not like Apple".

And the first generation iPad did look better than iPad 2. Even though the second one was thinner, the speakers were ugly, and too many smaller details ruined the design - which offered almost no improvement visually, other than just being thinner.

So overall I hope Apple finds a new theme soon for their products. Because during the last two-three years, all they´ve done is recycling old design ideas and kind of run out of new ones.

Design is constrained by the package envelope and manufacturing processes. Change for change sake isn't necessarily good design.

That said, there is a possibility of more exotic materials than aluminum, stainless steel and glass, and I'm sure that Jonny has explored many of these. I'd give odds of more LiquidMetal and composite packaging in the future.

HelveticaNeue
Jun 13, 2011, 09:36 AM
I wonder if the iPhone release schedule will shift now to September releases, with the new iOS version shown at each WWDC, or if this is a one-off thing.

If they go back to June release next year it will screw up my upgrade every year schedule since I will only be 10months into my contact instead of 12 and won't get the upgrade credit.

cherishzm
Jun 13, 2011, 09:38 AM
I'm crossing fingers T-Mobile will get the new iPhone (whether it's 4S or 5) in September. I unlocked an AT&T iPhone 4 and have been using it on T-Mobile for almost a year but EDGE data speed is painfully slow!

Cod3rror
Jun 13, 2011, 09:39 AM
I'll buy whatever they release, though my 3GS is still a champ. AND it will run iOS 5? I love it. If it only had a better camera.

My sentiments exactly, I love 3GS, if it had better camera, I would not think of upgrading.

I hope the 5th gen iPhone has 1GB RAM so most of the apps stay in memory and don't auto shut down.

DrJohnnyN
Jun 13, 2011, 09:39 AM

Lets hope for a better naming scheme than that.

How 'bout them Mavs?!

essential
Jun 13, 2011, 10:05 AM

I wish Apple had different model's like Android devices. I would pay such a premium for a 4.3" or 4.5" version of the iPhone.

I'm not a big guy (6'2" - 170lbs), and I'd like to think I have semi-large size hands, and the iPhone is just too small for me. I constantly fat-finger while typing (with thumbs). I was trying a Samsung Infuse at an AT&T store the other day (4.5") and it was amazing, the fit in my hands. That's the perfect size for me. If the iPhone doesn't get a bump to 4.0" at a minimum i'll be disappointed.

I'm not in line for a upgrade till the 6th Gen, and by then I'm sure there will be a larger screen, I just wish they finally made 2 models (standard and pro), all the spec's should be identical except screen size, and maybe a slide out keyboard for the pro/business model (but I doubt the keyboard ever happens).

However, it is possible to add a keyboard without much bulk. The new Pantech Laser has a slide out keyboard and that thing is as thin as an iPhone, I tried one of those out at the AT&T store as well, the keyboard is crazy thin, almost adds nothing to the phone.

iPhone 4 depth: 0.37 inches
Pantech Laser: 0.39 inches (with keyboard)

No doubt Apple could figure out a way to do the keyboard better where it's probably as thin as the glass backing of the current iPhone 4.

dakwar
Jun 13, 2011, 10:17 AM
They will probably use letters after all the 1-digit numbers have been used. This is not to be confused with hexadecimals, btw.

4 = 4
9 = 9
10 = A
11 = B
12 = C
13 = D
14 = E
15 = F
16 = G
17 = H

roman numerals? iPhoneXVII. they'll probably stop calling it an iPhone before they hit 30. ;)

brettryan
Jun 13, 2011, 10:22 AM
Rich? iPhones are not that expensive.
I can't fathom why people think iPhones are expensive and if you think they are you might want to look for a better job.

For someone in the states maybe. I'm an analyst programmer in Australia, but hanging on someone's occupation isn't called for. I do believe that $1000 odd is too expensive for a phone. Apple like ripping us Aussies off.

brettryan
Jun 13, 2011, 10:32 AM
People can't complain about their products b/c you can't afford them?

Hey, I'm not complaining about the product, just wish I could buy one. With a family to support there's no way I could ever afford one. I was actually referring to those that seem to be able to afford every new model each year.

Darwing
Jun 13, 2011, 10:40 AM

First 3GS is fine, it's speed is almost the same as the 4 and there are very few apps that use just the 4's capabilities.

Second the 3G should never be on iOS 4! Lol it's speed is horrid and should be stuck in 3.1

Finally, Apple will not change a cosmetic thing for the new iPhone, 1) all accessories are now built for iPhone 4, and two the original iPhone barely changed anything until the 4th model to accommodate for the accessories

geekgirrl
Jun 13, 2011, 10:41 AM
Iphone 5 better have a bigger screen or I'm leaving this sinking ship to android. If Job's didnt ok a bigger screen he should be slapped and then fired. Everybody has a bigger screen than my 3gs and YES SIZE MATTERS APPLE!!!

Darwing
Jun 13, 2011, 10:44 AM

It's not happening for this new one, possibly the iPhone 6... But I know apple and know trends and they aren't one to conform because everyone else is doing it... This new iPhone will have a better camera more ram and a slighted faster processor

Ijustfarted
Jun 13, 2011, 10:45 AM
For someone in the states maybe. I'm an analyst programmer in Australia, but hanging on someone's occupation isn't called for. I do believe that $1000 odd is too expensive for a phone. Apple like ripping us Aussies off.

Holy crap. No phone is worth that much

bergmef
Jun 13, 2011, 10:46 AM

4 = 4
9 = 9
10 = A
11 = B
12 = C
13 = D
14 = E
15 = F
16 = G
17 = H

Hexadecimal stops at F and goes to 10

msb3079
Jun 13, 2011, 10:48 AM
I wish Apple had different model's like Android devices. I would pay such a premium for a 4.3" or 4.5" version of the iPhone.

I'm not a big guy (6'2" - 170lbs), and I'd like to think I have semi-large size hands, and the iPhone is just too small for me. I constantly fat-finger while typing (with thumbs). I was trying a Samsung Infuse at an AT&T store the other day (4.5") and it was amazing, the fit in my hands. That's the perfect size for me. If the iPhone doesn't get a bump to 4.0" at a minimum i'll be disappointed.

I'm not in line for a upgrade till the 6th Gen, and by then I'm sure there will be a larger screen, I just wish they finally made 2 models (standard and pro), all the spec's should be identical except screen size, and maybe a slide out keyboard for the pro/business model (but I doubt the keyboard ever happens).

However, it is possible to add a keyboard without much bulk. The new Pantech Laser has a slide out keyboard and that thing is as thin as an iPhone, I tried one of those out at the AT&T store as well, the keyboard is crazy thin, almost adds nothing to the phone.

iPhone 4 depth: 0.37 inches
Pantech Laser: 0.39 inches (with keyboard)

No doubt Apple could figure out a way to do the keyboard better where it's probably as thin as the glass backing of the current iPhone 4.

BIGGER?? No way... Keyboard.. not a chance at all...

Either would instantly drive me away.

Leeartlee
Jun 13, 2011, 10:52 AM

lol. QFT.

FoxHoundADAM
Jun 13, 2011, 10:53 AM

I figured there were still a few 1G iPhones out there and I feel for you.

Brett Abelson
Jun 13, 2011, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure my wife's dying 3G can make it until September....

extradryny
Jun 13, 2011, 10:57 AM
If Apple are planning on permanently shifting their iPhone announcements to a September timeframe each year, I think it's a great move.

I think you're half right. Yes, Apple should move a major release to the Fall to compensate for the iPod's decline. Most importantly, you always want to release a buzz product heading into the holiday season.

So why would you move the iPhone, a pretty much un-giftable product unless you're a parent, and not the iPad -- the perfect gift to sit under a Christmas tree year after year?

Never got the iPad timing. For so many people I know, the product was stale by the time the holidays came around and not on their list.

Leeartlee
Jun 13, 2011, 11:08 AM
I honestly would be happy with the iPhone 4 with storage bumps. 32 GB $200, 64 GB $300. That way the excuse that flash memory was too expensive would be countered with using the same base hardware. But that's just me...

iRobby
Jun 13, 2011, 11:12 AM
I think that Apple will announce a snap-conference and introduce the iPhone5 before September 2011 running iOS 4.5 with free upgrade to iOS5 around October 2011.

At least two posters above have said their "3GS is on its last legs". Next week will be the 2nd anniversary of my 3GS which I use everyday, and it still looks brand new -- the accessories are still in their original wrappers in the box.

If my wife had a say in what phone to get next, she'd look at the 3GS and demand I use it for at least another two years!

Good thing for Apple she doesn't have a say!

autrefois
Jun 13, 2011, 11:14 AM
I'll buy whatever they release

Please don't say that too loud. Apple won't have much motivation to max out the specs if they think people will buy it no matter what (even if we will :D).

(fixed that for you)
Or is it pure marketing so they can milk us for all we're worth with things like the white model mid-season?

That's my guess. As long as they feel they can stay on top with doing the bumping up the specs a little every once in a while, there aren't going to be any huge improvements in terms of hardware. It wouldn't make sense from a business perspective: there are enough first time users and people with older models who will want the new phone anyway so they can get iOS5 to work (well). I hope I'm wrong, but after a fairly major revision with iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 4, I doubt we'll see anything too revolutionary this time.

If Apple are planning on permanently shifting their iPhone announcements to a September timeframe each year, I think it's a great move.

(fixed that for you)

"Apple are" is acceptable in British English -- or pretty much anywhere other than the US. Seeing as the Brits made up the language, I think they should have a say in what is considered correct. ;) It's amazing how often this comes up on MacRumors.

juicedropsdeuce
Jun 13, 2011, 11:23 AM
OMG! Bring it on baby! My 3GS is on it's last leg!

NinjaHERO
Jun 13, 2011, 11:28 AM
I can't wait to see what this thing actually does.

zombierunner
Jun 13, 2011, 11:35 AM
just name it on the year like .. The 2011 iPhone .......... 2056 iPhone which will have support for 6 finger swipe (humans would have developed the 6th finger by then)

diamond.g
Jun 13, 2011, 11:37 AM
just name it on the year like .. The 2011 iPhone .......... 2056 iPhone which will have support for 6 finger swipe (humans would have developed the 6th finger by then)

I seriously think they should just go back to iPhone. Just like how none of their computers or iPods have a number after them (to denote the version).

zombierunner
Jun 13, 2011, 11:38 AM
I think we will see future iphone and ipad releases around september/october time .. just right for the holiday season ... releasing ipad in feb is d'oh!

during the summer they will update their desktops and notebooks

Ingot
Jun 13, 2011, 11:40 AM

+1. Nothing wrong with my 3GS. iOS 5 works not too bad on it (developers copy). Just would enjoy a better camera. I mostly use it for video mind you.

jacollins
Jun 13, 2011, 11:45 AM
iPhone S for Spectacular :p

In Marketingspeak. All the S variants refer to Sex. Remember that when you see all the S/SX variants on cars. :)

essential
Jun 13, 2011, 12:03 PM
BIGGER?? No way... Keyboard.. not a chance at all...

Either would instantly drive me away.

That's why I stated I wished there were two sizes, a larger screen version, and the regular screen version. If everything is an on-screen virtual keyboard, there are just so many of us with large hands that typing on the iPhone is generally frustrating. Also, I think a larger screened device would help convert that business faction that is still hesitant to switch because of the lack of a physical keyboard.

Also, I understand the keyboard is a pipe-dream, but a larger screen is not. I almost has to go to at least 4.0" at some point even if I'd prefer larger.

1984world
Jun 13, 2011, 12:05 PM
I have to be honest, I've never noticed any slowdown/difference in my 3Gs with iOS4 than the previous operating system. I will upgrade when the next phone comes out, but not because my current one isn't any good or needs updating, but because I want the better screen, better camera, and hopefully (big hope, fingers crossed!) a 64gb phone with (again another big wish here!) an LED light indicator. The fast processor and such great extras, but those few points are what i have been holding out for. Everything else, is pretty much awesome, the few things it doesnt have (like custom sms tones) would be great, but not a make or break by any means.

Apple is making this phone at pretty much the top of the pile in all respects. Sure a phone here and there have one or two features that might be better, or nice to have. But the OVERALL package isn't comparable.

I had the bb storm, and while a nice phone in some ways, it just didn't match up to the iphone (at the time, and now even further behind). I've played with a few other phones, android, windows 7, etc. and none are as smooth or streamlined. If i get those few other features, i will be one happy camper!

freediverdude
Jun 13, 2011, 12:08 PM
With the surprising (to me) news that iOS 5 would support the 3GS, and also the impressive speed comparison video clip posted here with the iPhone 4 pitted against the 3GS, I'm not sure I'll update even to the iPhone 5. We'll see... That will depend a lot on features. If the primary two features are a new CPU and a new 8 MP camera, I may just pass on this generation and jump straight for the iPhone 6.

I was thinking about waiting until the iPhone 6 also, but that then means that I would be waiting until long after my contract is up- I would have the iPhone 4 for way over 2 years at that point, from June 2010 til at least September 2012, if not later depending on when I could get my hands on one after the launch. So just because of the timing, I will probably go ahead and get iPhone 5.

I hope that because of the delay that this is going to be a real upgrade. Other phones are starting to leave the iPhone behind on specs already (except maybe the display resolution), and if this is just a speed bump, iPhone will REALLY be behind by September 2012 hardware-wise (if the consumer really cares about that, which is another debate). Android phones will probably be up to freakin tegra 4 by then, with HD displays, lol, just kidding, but really, it needs to be an upgrade.

reactions
Jun 13, 2011, 12:14 PM
Hope it has seams

Love seams and a bigger screen

Time to move on from my old iPhone 4

bowlerman625
Jun 13, 2011, 12:15 PM
Iphone 5 better have a bigger screen or I'm leaving this sinking ship to android. If Job's didnt ok a bigger screen he should be slapped and then fired. Everybody has a bigger screen than my 3gs and YES SIZE MATTERS APPLE!!!

wow, tell us how you REALLY feel, why don't you?

Noodlefarmer
Jun 13, 2011, 12:19 PM
They had better give me everything I want or else I'm getting a Windows phone. He said, stomping feet. Geez, folks, this isn't Burger King. If there's a phone out there that does more of what you want, get it. But if you're expecting Apple to make a phone that satisfies each and every person's unique wishes, I don't think that's gonna happen.

toddybody
Jun 13, 2011, 12:21 PM

Im totally ignorant as to Australia's higher costs for all things tech. A$ 859.00(~908 USD) for a 16GB iP4? MBP starting at A$1399.00(~1478 USD)?

I also read on IGN that AU gamers pay the most for games...close to $100.00 USD for new titles. Is this some kind of baked in VAT?

To say the least, im shocked you folks should have to pay so much more:(

nonameowns
Jun 13, 2011, 12:27 PM
if there is other phone coming in sept... boy im excited to get iphone 4 for cheap. :D

TheWatchfulOne
Jun 13, 2011, 12:32 PM
(fixed that for you)

Man, the people around here that are so pleased that Apple is delaying the iPhone until September. "Brilliant!" "Awesome Move!" You guys will swallow anything Steve gives you and ask for more.

Steve co-founded a company that is now the largest and most valuable tech company in the world. Steve didn't get his company there by being stupid. How's your company that you founded doing? Just wondering.;)

I, instead, am wondering why the delay and what it means for us:

What delay? I didn't realize a release date was announced.

Has Apple been shaken up they the new Samsung phone and felt it needed to give us something more than a warmed over iPhone 4, so they delayed the release so they could give us something really worth the extra wait?

Samsung products pale in comparison with Apple's products. Why would Apple be shaken by this?

Who is getting milked? Are people being forced to purchase two iPhones just because it comes in an alternate color now?

Watch the WWDC keynote. This will answer your question.

CFreymarc
Jun 13, 2011, 12:36 PM
Correction, iPhone 4G in Final Testing, due in September.

My little birdie flock tells me that AT&T failed their 4G stress test a month before WWDC and thus everything was held back. The iPhone 4G looks almost identical to the iPhone 4 but with a whole new insides for 4G networks. I bet you are not going to see new form factor iPhone til next year at the latest.

mrial
Jun 13, 2011, 12:40 PM
9to5mac.com's article says "... it looks like the next-generation iPhone will keep the 5 megapixel sensor found on the iPhone 4. Many of us were expected a boost to 8 megapixels ...". Is this nonsense? I would be disappointed if it was true.

kiljoy616
Jun 13, 2011, 12:45 PM

They need to hurry up my iPhone 4 black is getting old. :D

tann
Jun 13, 2011, 12:46 PM
9to5mac.com's article says "... it looks like the next-generation iPhone will keep the 5 megapixel sensor found on the iPhone 4. Many of us were expected a boost to 8 megapixels ...". Is this nonsense? I would be disappointed if it was true.

Anything will be better than the 1.3MP sensor my current phone has, but if it is still a 5MP camera on the new iPhone I will admit that I'll be slightly sad.

I'm hoping that it'll do 1080p video recording as well, but 720p's still good :).

On a different note I also hope the storage is bumped up to 64gbs as the top version, would be sweet :).

kasei
Jun 13, 2011, 12:47 PM
Steve co-founded a company that is now the largest and most valuable tech company in the world. Steve didn't get his company there by being stupid. How's your company that you founded doing? Just wondering.;)

What delay? I didn't realize a release date was announced.

Samsung products pale in comparison with Apple's products. Why would Apple be shaken by this?

Who is getting milked? Are people being forced to purchase two iPhones just because it comes in an alternate color now?

Watch the WWDC keynote. This will answer your question.

Well put multiple times!

kiljoy616
Jun 13, 2011, 12:54 PM
Im totally ignorant as to Australia's higher costs for all things tech. A$ 859.00(~908 USD) for a 16GB iP4? MBP starting at A$1399.00(~1478 USD)?

I also read on IGN that AU gamers pay the most for games...close to $100.00 USD for new titles. Is this some kind of baked in VAT?

Check how much you pay after taxes not before then its not as bad as you think.

Example here where I am a 599 ipad 2 comes out after taxes at 9.7 percent it would make it 58.10 more for a total of 657.10. But now I have to go to paying for health care which is a whopping 400 biweekly. So it is all relative. Unless your living at home and its your parents paying thru the nose.

I have notice lately we have been invaded by junior high kids from the type of posts. :( Not directed at anyone specific just an analysis.

SAIRUS
Jun 13, 2011, 12:56 PM
While I will most probably stick with my iPhone 4, hope there is a memory upgrade and slight upgrade to the screen size. Maybe some further improvements to call quality.

Oh and my old 3G gets better signal in the country, but my iPhone 4 is amazing in the city. Actually AT&T just upgraded my tower, so while I do get fewer bars, it's a lot faster.

Oh and Apple, keep the sim card. Also unlocked phones for the USA.

toddybody
Jun 13, 2011, 01:01 PM
Check how much you pay after taxes not before then its not as bad as you think.

Example here where I am a 599 ipad 2 comes out after taxes at 9.7 percent it would make it 58.10 more for a total of 657.10. But now I have to go to paying for health care which is a whopping 400 biweekly. So it is all relative. Unless your living at home and its your parents paying thru the nose.

I have notice lately we have been invaded by junior high kids from the type of posts. :( Not directed at anyone specific just an analysis.

True, everything is relative. I must admit that im no Jr. High Kid....though we share similar maturity levels.

Anyways, I still think that price difference is rather large for you AU folks. Hope other savings offset that for you though.

BTW: Cant you folks shop at US online stores such as Amazon? I believe many sites ship globally, and you could circumvent the higher Apple Store pricing.

Fortygig
Jun 13, 2011, 01:04 PM
Man I can't wait!!

vincenz
Jun 13, 2011, 01:05 PM
Well, September can't come soon enough.

Kyllle
Jun 13, 2011, 01:12 PM
I think 1080p video is a possibility, but only if the storage was bumped up to 64 gigs. The 720 takes up enough space as it is (around 1GB per 12 minutes from what I've noticed personally). It's definitely not common like 8mp cameras are on smartphones, but a few phones have it, so I don't think it would be out of the question.

I think the only thing that would get me to upgrade from my iPhone 4 that I bought in February (verizon), would be LTE, but I know that that's highly unlikely, so I'll probably wait till my contracts up next October for the discount.

jdsipod
Jun 13, 2011, 01:27 PM
Probably the best reason for why they didn't announce the new iPhone at WWDC is because if people thought that they were going to release a new iPhone in July then no one would buy a iPhone 4 from Verizon

StyxMaker
Jun 13, 2011, 01:27 PM

Size matters and I think the iPhone is just fine the way it is.

Ozbotic
Jun 13, 2011, 01:51 PM
Is it just me or are people's complaints contradicting each other? A lot of people are saying "8Mp camera, bigger screen and 4G" but at the same time they want it to be released as fast as they can. I mean it's not impossible, but realize that apple releases a lot of new things every year and while they are releasing new things they are in the midst of creating new things so it's kind of hard to crank out new technology with so many different products and such a high demand for them.

I honestly wouldn't mind (once in awhile) apple taking up to 18months to 2 years to work on a new product. I know people would hate the wait but it only means a better product.

dstankus
Jun 13, 2011, 02:20 PM

I thought I was the only one still using a 3G?!?

jennyp
Jun 13, 2011, 02:24 PM
Great. I get an iPhone 4 on a long contract and hey presto the 5 looms over the near horizon. :(

metoo6000
Jun 13, 2011, 02:25 PM
I thought I was the only one still using a 3G?!?

Man... I am still using 2G. :cool:

viperGTS
Jun 13, 2011, 02:31 PM
the only reason im looking forward to the iPhone 5 is because the iPhone 4 will be cheaper :D
unless the iPhone 5 has 4G though, in that case i want the 5. no 4G= iPhone 4 it is.

LastLine
Jun 13, 2011, 02:43 PM

Well in my case I must say it's due to wear and tear - a couple of tumbles off a bike will give your phone pause for thought, but yeah I hear 3G and iOS4 is a messy combo. I'm just at the end of my contract so I'm waiting anxiously for a new iPhone to jump onto a renewal.

danrees
Jun 13, 2011, 02:46 PM
"Apple are" is acceptable in British English -- or pretty much anywhere other than the US. Seeing as the Brits made up the language, I think they should have a say in what is considered correct. ;) It's amazing how often this comes up on MacRumors.

And honestly, speaking as a Briton, who cares?

Let's talk :apple:, not grammar please.

danrees
Jun 13, 2011, 02:53 PM
Do we have any further insight on whether it will be a 'world' or universal iPhone?

In the UK, it is possible to buy an unlocked phone directly from Apple without a carrier.

However, I am moving to the US for 12 months in two weeks and would hate to be stuck with my current 3G (or even worse, work Blackberry).

I suppose I could buy an unlocked GSM iPhone 4S/5 in the UK and use AT&T on a pay as you go / no contract basis?

GodWhomIsMike
Jun 13, 2011, 03:00 PM
I was hoping July. My iPhone 3G is just limping by at this point. The wifi antenna inside it no longer works, and can't pick up wifi signals anymore. I got my fingers crossed that she'll make it until September.

ilovemyibook
Jun 13, 2011, 03:04 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Great. I get an iPhone 4 on a long contract and hey presto the 5 looms over the near horizon. :(

That's why you need to do research before a big purchase.

willybNL
Jun 13, 2011, 03:27 PM
Dual-sim I hope....

Insolence
Jun 13, 2011, 03:46 PM
I am a verizon person, and it disappoints me that the verizon phones are getting left behind. When my contract is up, I will still go for a verizon phone simply because of the signal strength and call quality...but will be disappointed if speeds and facetime are not up to snuff.
Least you won't have AT&T's "you will be charged if you don't re-lock your Phone" if you ever decide to Jailbreak it.....

rans0m00
Jun 13, 2011, 04:01 PM
Hope the mock up is not accurate. Really wanting more of an iPad2 look and I would buy it. Otherwise my ip4 will do just fine for another year.

dblissmn
Jun 13, 2011, 04:02 PM
Oh and my old 3G gets better signal in the country, but my iPhone 4 is amazing in the city. Actually AT&T just upgraded my tower, so while I do get fewer bars, it's a lot faster.

All depends on what part of the country you're in. In your market, does AT&T use 800MHz or 1900MHz in the city? And, which frequency do they use in the country? Perhaps the iPhone 4 is doing better on either one frequency or the other. I don't have AT&T myself but I've seen plenty of Verizon phones that did well on either one or the other and it seemed to mostly depend on how the antenna was designed.

peacenfunk
Jun 13, 2011, 04:26 PM
if there is other phone coming in sept... boy im excited to get iphone 4 for cheap. :D

And me. :D

JoeShades
Jun 13, 2011, 04:47 PM

why does it matter what it is called, does it matter if it is called iPhone 4s iPhone 5 or iphone banana? it is still the next version of the iPhone

rovex
Jun 13, 2011, 05:00 PM

Go across the channel to France, they are having to pay 80 euros for console games.

DanteMann
Jun 13, 2011, 06:54 PM
I really think the only people that will buy this phone are loyal Apple customers, and people who just go out and buy an iPhone because it's an iPhone. The latter was me. But now that I have got to experience the Galaxy S2, I can't help but think Apple has a lot of work to do. First off the biggest use of smartphones is messaging and internet browsing. The Galaxy S2 simply destroys the iPhone 4 in both regards. Seriously, I honestly mean destroys it. I can pull up full flash websites on the GS2 faster than on my iphone4 can pull up the same site without flash. It's ridiculous. Scrolling pages is ridiculous smooth as silk without checker boards. My iphone 4 no where near as smooth or fast. I've said this before, the Galaxy S2 is so far ahead of the iPhone 4 I honestly can't see Apple closing the gap. But that's not Apple's biggest problem, because the next iPhone will go up against the Galaxy S3 which will come out Q1 2012. The more I play with this Galaxy S2, the more my iPhone feels ancient. Funny how I thought the Android screens looked messy, but once you use it, it becomes your mess so to speak. Point being you make it look how you want. You then realize how much superior customizing becomes. I'm still very new with smartphones, but the GS2 really has me wanting to learn more.

bgtrack
Jun 13, 2011, 07:10 PM
I have owned all four iPhones and the original phone felt the best in my hand by far (though I could go for slimmer).

johndallas999
Jun 13, 2011, 08:24 PM

Actually the worst thing about the 3gs is the screen, it seriously blows compared to the 4.

haruhiko
Jun 13, 2011, 08:58 PM
I really think the only people that will buy this phone are loyal Apple customers, and people who just go out and buy an iPhone because it's an iPhone. The latter was me. But now that I have got to experience the Galaxy S2, I can't help but think Apple has a lot of work to do. First off the biggest use of smartphones is messaging and internet browsing. The Galaxy S2 simply destroys the iPhone 4 in both regards. Seriously, I honestly mean destroys it. I can pull up full flash websites on the GS2 faster than on my iphone4 can pull up the same site without flash. It's ridiculous. Scrolling pages is ridiculous smooth as silk without checker boards. My iphone 4 no where near as smooth or fast. I've said this before, the Galaxy S2 is so far ahead of the iPhone 4 I honestly can't see Apple closing the gap. But that's not Apple's biggest problem, because the next iPhone will go up against the Galaxy S3 which will come out Q1 2012. The more I play with this Galaxy S2, the more my iPhone feels ancient. Funny how I thought the Android screens looked messy, but once you use it, it becomes your mess so to speak. Point being you make it look how you want. You then realize how much superior customizing becomes. I'm still very new with smartphones, but the GS2 really has me wanting to learn more.Well, it is always not fair to compare a 2011 Q2 phone with a 2010 Q2 phone in terms of speed. Let's see how the iPhone 5 turns out to be. Galaxy S II is no doubt a good phone, but you have to compare apples to apples. I don't really understand why Apple has to delay the iPhone launch this year given the fierce competition from Samsung (Yes, Samsung only, other manufacturers can't even come close to Apple in the same premium smartphone market), I hope that Apple really has something in its hand, and my iPhone 4 is getting old.

DanteMann
Jun 13, 2011, 09:13 PM
Well, it is always not fair to compare a 2011 Q2 phone with a 2010 Q2 phone in terms of speed. Let's see how the iPhone 5 turns out to be. Galaxy S II is no doubt a good phone, but you have to compare apples to apples. I don't really understand why Apple has to delay the iPhone launch this year given the fierce competition from Samsung (Yes, Samsung only, other manufacturers can't even come close to Apple in the same premium smartphone market), I hope that Apple really has something in its hand, and my iPhone 4 is getting old.

It's totally true that it is not a fair comparison. But Apple leaves buyers with no choice but to make the comparison. It's current Samsung flagship phone Vs current Apple flagship phone. And I have to agree with you that Samsung seems to be the only real competition against Apple, shot for shot. But again, Apple's biggest problem is that right after the next iPhone comes out, the Galaxy S3 is just around the corner. Considering the next iphone doesn't look to differentiate itself too much from the current phone in terms of looks; it may leave buyers thinking it's the same old iphone. As I stated, I believe that gap between the Galaxy S2 and iPhone 4 is a big one. One that the iPhone 5 may match but I honestly don't think will pass. When I look at Apple's history, they don't seem to make leaps from phone to phone. Also considering iOS5 isn't all that amazing as one would hope. It truly is just a catch up to Android features.

ChromeAce
Jun 13, 2011, 09:14 PM

WTF are you talking about? Out of sync? The next iPhone will be called the 4s whether you understand it or not. Arnold Kim apparently has no clue either. The obvious reasoning behind this is simple: the 6th generation iPhone will be the 4G to match its 4G speed feature. The 7th generation iPhone will be the 5.

haruhiko
Jun 13, 2011, 09:20 PM
It's totally true that it is not a fair comparison. But Apple leaves buyers with no choice but to make the comparison. It's current Samsung flagship phone Vs current Apple flagship phone. And I have to agree with you that Samsung seems to be the only real competition against Apple, shot for shot. But again, Apple's biggest problem is that right after the next iPhone comes out, the Galaxy S3 is just around the corner. Considering the next iphone doesn't look to differentiate itself too much from the current phone in terms of looks; it may leave buyers thinking it's the same old iphone. As I stated, I believe that gap between the Galaxy S2 and iPhone 4 is a big one. One that the iPhone 5 may match but I honestly don't think will pass. When I look at Apple's history, they don't seem to make leaps from phone to phone. Also considering iOS5 isn't all that amazing as one would hope. It truly is just a catch up to Android features.

As long as I'm excited by the features of iOS 5, I can't disagree that it's more like an "iOS 4 done right" / iOS 4.5, IMO the notification problem should have been addressed by iOS 4 last year but it didn't happen. It is much less a leap as for iOS 4 to the then "iPhone OS" 3.X.

(But the PC-free thing is a big leap, so it justifies the 5.0 version number in this area.)

New phones from Samsung that utiltizes a 2011 dual core CPU must be much faster than the iPhone 4. Try to load a disqus.com dashboard from an iPhone 4, it's horrible. But the iPad 2 with a dual core Cortex A9 loads it very quickly and easily with no lags. So don't put down the unreleased iPhone 5 so quickly :-)

ten-oak-druid
Jun 13, 2011, 11:06 PM
More news about the next iphone being on Sprint:

Rumor: Apple doing advanced testing for Sprint iPhone (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20070879-233/rumor-apple-doing-advanced-testing-for-sprint-iphone/)

iPhone 4S coming to Sprint? (http://www.intomobile.com/2011/06/13/iphone-4s-coming-to-sprint/)

Report: Sprint Actively Testing iPhone 4S Ahead of September Launch (http://modmyi.com/content/4632-report-sprint-actively-testing-iphone-4s-ahead-september-launch.html)

SamIchi
Jun 13, 2011, 11:49 PM
Any word on the iPhone coming to Sprint?!?

MotleyGrrl
Jun 14, 2011, 12:06 AM
::sigh:: i wasn't going to buy it, but a friend of mine said he would buy my 4 cuz he knows I am psycho about keeping it pristine. i'm a sucker for new toys.

boss.king
Jun 14, 2011, 12:30 AM
WTF are you talking about? Out of sync? The next iPhone will be called the 4s whether you understand it or not. Arnold Kim apparently has no clue either. The obvious reasoning behind this is simple: the 6th generation iPhone will be the 4G to match its 4G speed feature. The 7th generation iPhone will be the 5.

And this is based on what exactly? You're naming system is arbitrary. iPhone 5 would make far more sense

Pink∆Floyd
Jun 14, 2011, 12:38 AM
This is great news

vvswarup
Jun 14, 2011, 01:09 AM
Is Apple development really so pathetic that it takes them 16 months to insert a new chip and camera in the iPhone 4?

How do you know that Apple is adding just a new chip and camera? Evidently, you don't understand design one bit. Apple can't just change the chip and the camera and keep all the other guts the same. For starters, the A5 is probably bigger than the A4. As cramped as the insides of the iPhone are, Apple can't just cram the A5 in there.

Also, since the A5 is more powerful and A4, the A5 will use more battery power. Apple has to redesign the battery.

Have they run into much more trouble making a "world phone" than they thought? Seeing how long it took them to iron out the white phone problems, this really isn't too surprising.

You've answered your own question. A half-baked product is no use to you. Why would Apple release a half-baked product for the sake of appearances?

Who's milking who, exactly? Apple never made any mention of a new iPhone so where is this "pure marketing" coming from?

Quit parroting the same old lines of Apple haters.

As someone else pointed out, watch the WWDC video.

Mackan
Jun 14, 2011, 05:55 AM

Why? Soon there will be an article about "iPhone 4S in Final Testing, Due in September"... Twice the rumors, twice the comments and traffic on this site. It's all ridiculous.

paradox00
Jun 14, 2011, 11:06 AM

The road goes both ways. As soon as the Galaxy SII came out, the the iPhone 5 and a slew of other Android devices were/are just around the corner. If you want a preview of web browsing speed on an iPhone 5, play with an iPad2 since that's the CPU it will be using. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

paradox00
Jun 14, 2011, 11:12 AM

Yes it's obvious that the 7th iPhone will be the iPhone 5 and clearly Apple would want to confuse customers by making the iPhone 4, 4s, and 4G... impeccable logic...

ChromeAce
Jun 14, 2011, 11:47 AM
And this is based on what exactly? You're naming system is arbitrary. iPhone 5 would make far more sense

Arbritrary? I just explained it. Only clueless Apple Fanboys know or are even aware of what "generation" an iPhone model is. It's completely irrelevant to Apple's marketing campaign to its target audience, the mainstream consumer. Here is the roadmap, based on logic:

1st gen: iPhone
2nd gen: iPhone 3G
3rd gen: iPhone 3Gs
4th gen: iPhone 4
5th gen: iPhone 4s
6th gen: iPhone 4G
7th gen: iPhone 5

The 5th gen iPhone is obviously a minor speed bump with no major redesign. That's why it's the 4s. The 6th gen will have 4G LTE, and its name will be marketed accordingly as 4G. The iPhone 5 is for 2013. Any journalist with integrity should refer to unreleased iPhone models by their generic name, such as "5th generation iPhone" and not "iPhone 5" which is obviously incorrect.

ChromeAce
Jun 14, 2011, 11:48 AM
Yes it's obvious that the 7th iPhone will be the iPhone 5 and clearly Apple would want to confuse customers by making the iPhone 4, 4s, and 4G... impeccable logic...

The idea is to NOT confuse customers by calling the iPhone that includes 4G anything other than 4G. Use your head.

paradox00
Jun 14, 2011, 12:33 PM
The idea is to NOT confuse customers by calling the iPhone that includes 4G anything other than 4G. Use your head.

Where did I say Apple was ever going to use the 4G moniker? Obviously they wouldn't name an iPhone 4G that unless it had 4G, but if the timing isn't right, the timing isn't right, and they simply won't use the name at all. Do you honestly think that other companies will will still be branding their phones '4G' next year? It will be old hat by then. No need to create a confusing naming convention just to reserve the ability to announce that they're late to the 4G party.

4S doesn't make sense anyway. It says it's a faster version of the 4th version of the phone. In other words, it says it's the fifth version, so why wouldn't they just call it that? 5 sounds better than 4S from a marketing perspective, and as I just said, 4G won't be a differentiating factor next year, so there's no reason to keep the 4 in the name for that.

I will use my head and add you to my ignore list, as you believe insulting people is an adequate substitute for a reasoned response.

chagla
Jun 14, 2011, 12:48 PM

why? 3g, 3gs, so it's not wrong to *assume* 4s. is it?

says so much about apple customers.. lol.

Bluethree
Jun 14, 2011, 03:35 PM
Does your wife know my wife? She said the same thing, then I said and who fixes your "Windows PC" when it breaks? :D

Not an EGO thing, Apple products are like an addiction, only thing is I use them to the max, so goto your Candy Bar phone or flip phone & deal with it honey

That bit I can understand.....rehab ! :rolleyes:

maclaptop
Jun 14, 2011, 03:38 PM
How magical and revolutionary, the design is a tribute to Antennagate. I'll pass. (for the first time ever).

ChromeAce
Jun 15, 2011, 09:56 AM
Where did I say Apple was ever going to use the 4G moniker? Obviously they wouldn't name an iPhone 4G that unless it had 4G, but if the timing isn't right, the timing isn't right, and they simply won't use the name at all. Do you honestly think that other companies will will still be branding their phones '4G' next year? It will be old hat by then. No need to create a confusing naming convention just to reserve the ability to announce that they're late to the 4G party.

4S doesn't make sense anyway. It says it's a faster version of the 4th version of the phone. In other words, it says it's the fifth version, so why wouldn't they just call it that? 5 sounds better than 4S from a marketing perspective, and as I just said, 4G won't be a differentiating factor next year, so there's no reason to keep the 4 in the name for that.

I will use my head and add you to my ignore list, as you believe insulting people is an adequate substitute for a reasoned response.

There is no way Apple is not going to market its 4G-capable iPhone as the iPhone 4G. It's that simple. It has nothing to do with other companies. It has to do with brand awareness and simple, effective Marketing 101. The 4s is JUST THAT, a fast version of the 4. It is not redesigned in any other way. It looks exactly the same. Apple wants to change major version numbers only when a significant redesign occurs, otherwise the brand is diluted. Nobody but Apple fanboys is counting the generation numbers, which have nothing to do with marketing.

Fraaaa
Jun 17, 2011, 12:54 PM
Sony already has an 11 inch TV and Samsung I believe had up to a 21 inch so I don't think think that is the issue, its more about the price and OLED is expensive right now but give it a few more years and we will see it in all its glory, maybe 2013 either way I don't think its going to be to long before we start to see it. :)

Just not for the iPhone 5 or even iPad 3. Now a big deal there are plenty of toys for me to play with.

Sorry, I thought I was saying about the PPI. Are those 11 and 21 inch TV 300+ PPI?

(...)
Notice he said "now" and this quote is a year old.

And yet I haven't see any other phone with that has the same PPI of the iPhone4. But if there is, please point it out for me, because unfortunately I'm not following other companies as I follow Apple.

DiamondMac
Jun 17, 2011, 12:56 PM
Hope they continue letting me keep my unlimited

davelanger
Jun 17, 2011, 07:44 PM

same here, the 3g is barely useable with most apps, they just crash or really lag when I open them

why? 3g, 3gs, so it's not wrong to *assume* 4s. is it?

says so much about apple customers.. lol.

The first phone was called the iphone.
The 2nd gen phone was called the iphone 3G (they never had phone named iphone 2).
The 3rd gen phone was called the iphone 3gs
The 4th gen phone was called the iphone 4
The next phone will be called the iphone 5, they cant call it the iphone 4s since its going to confuse people again and if they were go call it the iphone 4S they would have to skip over 5.

So they will just call it the iphone 5 and from here on the will just go with the next number in line.

This isnt a rambo movie where the numbers on the movie dont make sense.