Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
Is there disadvantages to buying my MBP now and getting the free update later instead of buying my MBP when Lion comes out? Will Lion take up more space/be slower than if I were to just buy it with Lion pre-installed, any suggestions?

Bendy Walker

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Manchester, UK
I've just bought a MacBook Pro, and I'm gonna upgrade to Lion for free when it's available. I don't really see any disadvantage, personally, and you can always just perform a fresh install of Lion when it's released if you really want to. Apple are pushing OS X Lion as an 'upgrade', so it'd be weird if upgrading from Snow Leopard caused performance issues.

Soliber

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
Probably not, considering Apple states that Snow Leopard must be present to upgrade to Lion, so from a life-cycle point of view, Lion is treated as sort of an update to Snow Leopard, instead of a completely standalone product.
I don't think you'll see a difference between a fresh install of Lion in a new computer, or an upgrade :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
This has been asked and answered many times recently.

Buying now will not put you at any disadvantage. It won't change the speed that Lion runs at. As for disk space usage, it should be about the same.

The disadvantage of waiting is the question of when will the systems start shipping with Lion already installed?

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
Ok then I won't worry about it, although I fear the day I want to reinstall my OS and I'm back to Snow Leopard again and will have to download my Lion again.

Bendy Walker

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Manchester, UK
When Lion is installed, it created a small partition on your hard drive that can be used to perform a fresh install of OS X Lion among other things. You don't need to install Snow Leopard first. A boot disk (or flash drive) can also be created from the Lion installer.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
When Lion is installed, it created a small partition on your hard drive that can be used to perform a fresh install of OS X Lion among other things. You don't need to install Snow Leopard first. A boot disk (or flash drive) can also be created from the Lion installer.

Good to know, I now truly feel that I won't be put at a disadvantage to buy now and upgrade the OS later.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
My iMac is still running ok, though getting a little long in the tooth. I plan to actually wait until Lion is pre-installed on shipping machines prior to upgrading. However, I have several factors influencing my decision. I am going back to school in August for an MBA and so by waiting I can officially take advantage of the educational pricing and whatever the Back to School promo is. I plan to sell my iMac after I get the new one and migrate data, and while my birthday is in early July and it would be a nice present to myself ;) I am fine waiting a bit longer. If I decide I don't really want to wait any longer, I can always get the machine pre Lion shipping and upgrade for free, still doing a fresh install.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
I'll be ordering an iMac with both SSD and HDD through the Back-To-School special starting tomorrow. Since all of my data will be on the HDD, it sounds like I won't have much trouble at all doing a fresh install of Lion over the top of Snow Leopard... if I ever feel the need to when the time comes. Would the Lion restore partition be installed on the SSD where the operating system is or will it give me a choice?

SdPunk

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I would go ahead and get it now. But then again, I am impatient, so my advice is biased!!! But seriously, I don't see any problem with the upgrade. Plus, Lion will be free for you when it comes out anyway. Good luck. :D

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I couldn't wait. I would just be thinking about it constantly until I got it. You won't be any differences between an upgraded computer and one that shipped with Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.