Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
I have just got a quite big commission and I am a little unsure of what to charge.

I will be required to shot the inside rooms of 12 apartments for their website.

They want 2+ shots of each room and I think there'll be a total of about 4 rooms per apartment. We're looking at about 500 shots I guess.

I've never taken on this type of work before.

What do you guys think? GBP.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
I have just got a quite big commission and I am a little unsure of what to charge.

I will be required to shot the inside rooms of 12 apartments for their website.

They want 2+ shots of each room and I think there'll be a total of about 4 rooms per apartment. We're looking at about 500 shots I guess.

I've never taken on this type of work before.

What do you guys think? GBP.

Back yourself into a decent hourly wage. You don't want to go to the shoot, set up (lighting potentially), shoot, cull, edit and post process, work with the client, and in the end make $7 an hour because of the amount of time required. Figure out what you think you'll need to put into this and what you think your skill merits from an hourly rate and quote them the total amount.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Back yourself into a decent hourly wage. You don't want to go to the shoot, set up (lighting potentially), shoot, cull, edit and post process, work with the client, and in the end make $7 an hour because of the amount of time required. Figure out what you think you'll need to put into this and what you think your skill merits from an hourly rate and quote them the total amount.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I think it will take about three days inc editing.

I was thinking £500.

This works out at just under £50 per apartment and over 3 eight hour days about £20 per hour.

Does anybody have an opinion on whether that sounds reasonable, or too expensive or not enough?

I don't want to scare them off, but I also don't want to rip myself off!

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
There used to be a few people that did real-estate photos here in the forum a few years ago (maybe more) that did the QTVR Panos (I think that's what it's called) for people selling their homes down in Florida. If I remember correctly they mentioned the cost was about $99 to start for the selling/listing agency? That type of work would have more to do in PP than yours so hope this helps price wise…

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
Pricing is always tricky. I still don't have a good pricing model for my prints.

But, with all of my wisdom and experience… here's what I would do. I would find a balance between how much you want to make overall and the hourly fee is. I think the client would be more willing if you tell them "it will be £20 an hour (or £50 per apartment) which adds up to a total of £500" instead of doing it the other way around; trying to justify your total price by saying "but it's only £20 an hour."

Also, that sounds reasonable. There are a lot of places to shoot and they'll be long days. Just be very clear as to what that £500 will get the client so they don't force you into doing too many edits or reshooting, etc.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You probably didn't "got a quite big commission" if they don't have a price quote from you.

Depends on qualtiy of photos, professional architecture photographer charge more per day than £500. If it's minimal effort photos then maybe £500 makes sense.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
You probably didn't "got a quite big commission" if they don't have a price quote from you.

Depends on qualtiy of photos, professional architecture photographer charge more per day than £500. If it's minimal effort photos then maybe £500 makes sense.

Well, a friend of mine works for the company and is doing me a favour. I think its a go...

Also Im not a professional architecture photographer. I did state that id never professionally done it before. I'm trying to make my name in a new town in france. I don't want to get into architectural photography, but in a town this size, that is full of holiday chalets and apartments, it makes sence to be a jack of all trades.

That's why Im asking for advice. I'm unsure of what to charge because i have never done this type of work before.

It's fairly minimal effort photos, it's only for their website. I don't want to scare them off with a stupid high price that's all... what would you suggest?

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Name what you want to get paid and see what the say. It doesn't get any easier than this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.