Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
I have an old Blueberry iBook (300MHz) with Mac OS 10.4, 544 MB RAM and a 40 Gb Hard Drive. This is an ancient computer but has been sort of a hobby to bring it back to life as much as I can.

I have a 2009 iMac so this iBook is not my main computer - just a toy I would like to let my 2 yr old watch videos on. I am not surprised video does not really play, but wondered if there is something I can do to improve this? Old versions of quicktime? Movie Trailers barely play 1 frame every 5 seconds and you tube just plays the audio.

Any thoughts? Is it possible to play video on this iBook or is it simply too old for modern internet use?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
How well videos play is dependant on it's specs (resolution, bitrate, codec, profile etc), you'll get some to play that have very low specs.

I've seen videos (irony?) of those iBooks playing DVDs just fine.

Here's a sample of Youtube's lowest quality option, try playing that with MPlayer (G4 optimised) and see if it's bearable. It should play a lot better externally that in the browser. If it works ok then you could use any number of tools to download the '240p' version of YT videos. I believe the 'Mac Tubes' app does this.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mostly YouTube and Netflix...

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Its never going to happen. You need at least a 1.5GHz G4 chip to make using internet video happen without having to really work at it. Some old games and CD's are about all you can do on that computer for media entertainment.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Someone is actually attempting youtube on a G3 300 and wondering why it stutters? That actually makes me raise a few questions of my own..

The main reason it will not and never will is it's a 12 year old laptop which works out to 6x older than your child. Even a computer half that age would struggle with flash a little.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Someone is actually attempting youtube on a G3 300 and wondering why it stutters? That actually makes me raise a few questions of my own..

The main reason it will not and never will is it's a 12 year old laptop which works out to 6x older than your child. Even a computer half that age would struggle with flash a little.

I don't wonder why it stutters, but simply if there was any way to view videos on it or not... It is my parents first Mac so it has nostalgia to it so I was simply curious if anyone who had a g3 Mac was successful in watching videos.

I figured it is likely not possible... I will still keep it though as it was at the start of the resurgence of Apple - plus it is very unique looking for sure.

Bloodstar

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Worst case scenario, you could bother converting the videos to an old enough and light enough format that the iBook could play them, after downloading them.

...I don't think it'd be worth that much effort, though.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I don't wonder why it stutters, but simply if there was any way to view videos on it or not... It is my parents first Mac so it has nostalgia to it so I was simply curious if anyone who had a g3 Mac was successful in watching videos.

I figured it is likely not possible... I will still keep it though as it was at the start of the resurgence of Apple - plus it is very unique looking for sure.

If you ripped stuff to DivX with a very low resolution it would barley play but it would be watchable. If I were you I would get some of your child's fav. movies or shows and rip them to about 320x240 DivX. You could rip that video on your MacBook Pro at about 15x realtime. In Handbrake DivX is known as "FFmpeg". Don't use h.264 as it will not play at all on a G3 300.

AdrianK:

You're right about everything you said other than bitrate being a factor. I have been heavily ripping video for years now and bitrate has no effect at all on performance. I would say resolution and codec are the biggest factors of performance through playback.

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mostly YouTube and Netflix...

Netflix only works with Intel macs

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

With my 700mhz iBook g3 (dual USB) to watch YouTube videos I put the 'p' from the default 360 to 240, for me then it's at least bearable. DVDs run fine, and I haven't tried netflix.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
AdrianK:

You're right about everything you said other than bitrate being a factor. I have been heavily ripping video for years now and bitrate has no effect at all on performance. I would say resolution and codec are the biggest factors of performance through playback.

I've just done a couple of tests with handbrake, using an H264 bluray as the source and encoding 720p at several different bitrates and testing their CPU usage in VLC.

For h264:
10,000kbps used ~48%, while 1,000 and 2,500 both used exactly 25%.

For h263:
I couldn't get it to do 10,000kbps, but 1,000 used 18% and 2,500 used 19%.

I guess that for 'low' bitrates the difference in CPU load is negligible, which could explain our differing experiences :) That's pretty good news considering that 2,500kbps is more than adequate for SD content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.