PDA

View Full Version : Will a new iPod Touch come out at same time as iPhone 5?

slapple
Jun 13, 2011, 10:34 AM
Just wondering if a new iPod Touch will come out at the same time as the iPhone 5?

And the iPod Touch is supposed to be exactly the same as the iPhone, but without the phone functionality, right? You can still run most/all apps and do everything you can do on an iPhone, except make/receive calls/SMS, right?

dazcox5181
Jun 13, 2011, 10:42 AM
Just wondering if a new iPod Touch will come out at the same time as the iPhone 5?

And the iPod Touch is supposed to be exactly the same as the iPhone, but without the phone functionality, right? You can still run most/all apps and do everything you can do on an iPhone, except make/receive calls/SMS, right?

certainly in previous years you could say that, but this years delays to the iOS update have everyone guessing!

Sept is normally iPod month, but now the iPhone 5 may take precedence iPods may be pushed to holiday season or beyond...but then Jan is typically iPad reveal/launch now! Arghh Apple you've confused things now ;)

ahdickter
Jun 13, 2011, 12:36 PM
Apple might just put in the A5 processor and call it a day like they did with the 3rd gen iPod

gpat
Jun 13, 2011, 01:29 PM
I think the iPod 5 will be iPod 4 + A5, and there will also be a 3G "phone" version, which will be the a cheaper iPhone on prepaid. And they will also launch the iPhone 5 with 8MP camera, improved battery, IPS retina, A5, more RAM, et cetera.

mattg3
Jun 13, 2011, 07:23 PM
I think that would really piss off a lot of us who are sitting on our hands waiting for the new ipod touch 5g.

Michael383
Jun 14, 2011, 01:59 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they came out at the same time.

caspersoong
Jun 14, 2011, 02:57 AM
I am not too sure because it might put additional strain on the factories. I would love it but it doesn't seem to realistic.

mattg3
Jun 14, 2011, 08:12 AM
Not a good sign they are not giving away ipod touch to students.Sounds like they dont want to clear inventory for the 5g

Consultant
Jun 14, 2011, 11:33 AM
Nope. Unlikely due to production capacity.

xMBPx
Jun 14, 2011, 01:54 PM
My guess is the iPhone and iPod touch get combined into one unit. No need for the two, now that you can purchase them unlocked without a contract anyways.

And for those of you who are gonna scream "blah blah no they won't cannibalize their ipod/iphone sales like that!", take a business class and look over apple's history. They sell what they do because they cannibalize their latest products. They are the king of cannibalizing their own products as one of their many marketing gimmicks.

ratzzo
Jun 14, 2011, 01:57 PM
Probably not. The fact that they share most of their hardware doesn't mean they will be released at the same time.

ipoddin
Jun 14, 2011, 02:49 PM
My guess is the iPhone and iPod touch get combined into one unit. No need for the two, now that you can purchase them unlocked without a contract anyways.

And for those of you who are gonna scream "blah blah no they won't cannibalize their ipod/iphone sales like that!", take a business class and look over apple's history. They sell what they do because they cannibalize their latest products. They are the king of cannibalizing their own products as one of their many marketing gimmicks.

How much is an unlocked iPhone compared to an iPod touch?

hcho3
Jun 14, 2011, 03:19 PM
If apple doesn't not give away iPod touch soon, I will start to think ipod touch will not be even updated this year. Why does it have to be? It bears no competition.

xMBPx
Jun 14, 2011, 03:47 PM
How much is an unlocked iPhone compared to an iPod touch?

$229 vs $649 for 16gb. But you can't tell me it costs $420 in hardware for the extras needed to make an ipod touch an iphone. The $649 price tag is merely a gimmick to make the $199 with contract look good.

ratzzo
Jun 14, 2011, 03:51 PM
$229 vs $649 for 16gb. But you can't tell me it costs $420 in hardware for the extras needed to make an ipod touch an iphone. The $649 price tag is merely a gimmick to make the $199 with contract look good.

Who knows, it probably is. Remember the iPhone 5 has better hardware specs than its young brother, and requires phone chips, is quad band, requires antennas and different build and design. It's completely different on the inside. And as many other markets, the smartphone market is experiencing a giant boost and is perhaps inflated or overpriced. You also pay for the image, for example you will always pay more for an equally engineered Mercedes than for a Renault. Such is the case with the iPhone as well, Apple know it sells, and they might increase the price for that as well. These are all just assumptions, though.

Crigger540
Jun 14, 2011, 04:25 PM

I will buy my ten year old an ipod, I will not buy her an iphone. the touch is not going anywhere.

xMBPx
Jun 14, 2011, 06:05 PM
I will buy my ten year old an ipod, I will not buy her an iphone. the touch is not going anywhere.

An iPhone without phone service is an iPod touch.

DaREdBaRoN
Jun 14, 2011, 06:54 PM

No you are wrong. I guess this is the first time Apple has been selling iPhones unlocked, but at the BBY I work at we sell iPhones without contracts all the time for $600 and $700. That's how much those devices actually cost, ATT normally just covers the difference when you sign up for a contract.

The iPhone has an IPS Retina display, while the iPod Touch is only Retina. If you've ever seen both side by side you can easily tell that the iPhone's screen is much better. It also has twice the RAM as the iPod, a much better camera, all the 3G radios, and a better battery. If the iPod touch had all those features it would cost around $500-600. But Apple can't count on a subsidy from carriers so they have to find a way to make the device cheaper to hit that $229 mark. So no, the $649 price tag is no gimmick.

wordoflife
Jun 14, 2011, 11:18 PM

Yeah, you're crazy. They're selling a bunch of iPods because people don't want to pay a contract or the high price of the iPhone. The iPhone is Apple's flagship device and is superior to the iPod touch in many ways. They are not equal.

Emily91
Jun 15, 2011, 03:54 AM

I do not think that this will happen to be honest. We have always being able to buy an unlocked iPhone over here (I am in Australia) and they still sell heaps and heaps of iPod Touches.
Many people buy iPod Touch's for there children or many people like them for music and games when they do not want to eat up there phones battery life.

I use my iPod Touch and my iPhone each and every day.

Lesser Evets
Jun 15, 2011, 08:16 AM

Here's the honest answer: NO ONE KNOWS.

There is speculation that the iPhone 5 will be coming out soon. Soon: anywhere between tomorrow and Christmas. A lot of speculation believes the iPods and iPhone will get lumped together for a release during the normal iPod release dates between late-August and early-October.

I think it is a good chance that all these iDevices get shuffled to a common release date since their tech is all developed together. The iPhone is the flagship product, the iPT a trimmed-down version of the iPhone, the iPod Nano is trimmed down iPT, and the Shuffle a trimmed down Nano. With the iPad now becoming the darling-device of Apple, and the iPhone beginning to reach limits of function and form, it would be logical to not have the iPhone being a premier release product with its own, dedicated, stage reveal.

And the iPod Touch is supposed to be exactly the same as the iPhone, but without the phone functionality, right? You can still run most/all apps and do everything you can do on an iPhone..., right?

Pretty close. There are some small bits of the iPhone which are left out (for now) in the iPT. Nothing major. Yes, you can pretty much run all the apps, aside from phone-centric ones.

Wait a few months and see where it all goes. The next iPT will most likely get a nicer camera, the A5, and a few other small bells and furtive whistles.

goosnarrggh
Jun 15, 2011, 10:39 AM

Based upon Apple's annual financial reports, we can confirm that Apple really is bringing in something like $600 to $700 for every 16GB unit sold. Every single one of them. Regardless of whether they're sold with a contract or not.

The difference is, when you buy the phone under a contract, the carrier pays most of the Apple's price tag on your behalf, in exchange for your contractual obligation to buy service from them for the next 2 years.

goosnarrggh
Jun 15, 2011, 10:46 AM
The iPhone is the flagship product, the iPT a trimmed-down version of the iPhone, the iPod Nano is trimmed down iPT, and the Shuffle a trimmed down Nano.

Quibble:
The current generation iPod nano has been speculated to be running the same embedded OS as the classic iPods have all been running forever. The UI has just been skinned, and sprinkled with a little MultiTouch magic to make it look as though it was running a shrunken down iOS.

The iPod shuffle might really be a trimmed down iPod nano for all I know. But neither are trimmed down iPod touches.

Lesser Evets
Jun 15, 2011, 06:43 PM
Quibble:
... has been speculated ...

And there is the dis-qualifier.

marc11
Jun 15, 2011, 06:53 PM

BINGO! I did just that. My 10 year old was begging for an iPhone, no way. he got a touch and he can Facetime and Skype his friends as he wants within wifi. He doesn't need to do that outside the house or other areas I can usually control now. With IOS 5 and the new iMessage, even better.

The iPhone is never going to merge with the touch into one device IMHO, there is a clear market for both devices and both price points.

goosnarrggh
Jun 16, 2011, 07:15 AM
And there is the dis-qualifier.

Let's be clear: There has been speculation about what might be there in its place, but whatever it is, it definitely isn't iOS.

iOS, like Mac OS X, contains BSD-licensed code derived from FreeBSD. As a legal consequence of that code being incorporated, Apple must provide a copyright notice advising users of the fact that FreeBSD-derived code is present in the software. This notice is included in the About screen or other accompanying documentation of every iPod touch, iPhone, (presumably iPad, but I've never used one in person to verify this), and Mac OS X powered PC. It is not included in the About screen, or any other accompanying documentation, of the current generation iPod nano. Therefore, it cannot be running FreeBSD-derived code, so it cannot be running iOS.

Reverse engineers have also pored over the firmware upgrade files served up by Apple, and they have also reached the conclusion that they don't recognize exactly what it is, but at the same time, they do know what it isn't.