Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foxbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Hello all,

I work with video a lot and run them through compressor to get various formats. The problem is I often need to add padding to the front and back of the clips before compressing them.

I would like to automate this process. and add a simple UI.

UI inputs would be:

1. List of Quicktimes to compress

2. A drop down menu or check box selection of the source size. i.e. HD 1080, HD 720, etc... (if the program can automatically determine this even better)

3. Text field where you enter the amount of pad to add to the clip

4. Drop down menu where you can set your compressor preset

5. Destination of compressed quicktimes

Once you submit from the UI The steps might go something like this.

1. Loading a black frame of the correct size to the clipboard.

2. Opening up the quicktime that you want compressed and pasting the correct number of frames to the beginning and the end.

3. Saving that quicktime to a temp location.

4. Run the temp quicktime through compressor with the selected compression method and destination settings.

5. Delete the temp quicktimes

Do you think this could be accomplished in Automator with minimal coding? Or would it be easier to create a new app. I know nearly nothing about objective-C but I'm trying to learn. I thought this might be a good project to start with. It would be incredibly helpful to get any advice on the best way to go about starting a project like this.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.